This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Audio books (Thoughts?)

Just stumbled across them, had no idea they even existed..anyone heard them they any good? Wiki, shows the list below, appreciate anyones opinion

# 1 Gift of the Gods (? of 5)
    # 2 A Necessary Evil (? of 5)
    # 3 Shell Game (? of 5)
    # 4 Perchance to Dream (? of 5)
    # 5 Savarna (? of 5) (no Fraiser icon hmm)
    # 6 Zero Point (? of 5)

I have the first five, but so far, I've only listened to the first 3. They really are very good to me. They fall in line with the seasons, so they aren't so much a continuation as they are 'missing episodes.' I liked 1 and 3 more than 2, but then again, I've always liked SG-1 better. LOL

I think they are definitely worth it.

Comment

# 1 Gift of the Gods (4.7 of 5)
      # 2 A Necessary Evil (3.5 of 5)
      # 3 Shell Game (4.82 of 5)
      # 4 Perchance to Dream (4.83 of 5)
      # 5 Savarna (4.78 of 5) (no Fraiser icon hmm)
      # 6 Zero Point (N/A of 5)

Number six isn't out until next month but that's my opinion of the first five.

Scores out of five just don't do them justice.

Comment

I'm a subscriber to them, so I get them sent to me both as MP3 downloads and on CD as soon as they're available. I've gotta say that they really are worth getting if you're a die-hard Stargate fan.

One of the things that I love the most about them, apart from obviously the participation of the real actors from the shows, is the use of authentic sound effects from both shows. I know it's incredibly nerdy, but I really appreciate them taking the effort to do this. I used to get "Star Trek" audiobooks years ago and one of the most off-putting things about them was that they'd sometimes use generic sound-effects of things like laser-beams and spaceships.

As for my favourite story so far, it's got to be "Savarna". There are many reasons for this. Teryl Rothery really gives the reading a lot of the emotion she used to give her on-screen performances. The guest actor was also very good. If nothing else, it was nice to hear an Irish accent in a "Stargate" story for once. The writing of the story itself was very good too. There was a lot of emotion in this one and it reminded me a lot of the more emotional episodes of the TV shows.

The one thing I would say is lacking in the stories is any sort of humour. One of the main things that's most loved about the TV episodes is the "self-deprecating" humour. It doesn't have to be forced or have entire audiobooks of humorous stories. Just something like a character being in a dark room and saying, "I've got a bad feeling about this. It's like we're being watched or someone's listening to our every word."

Other than that, the audiobooks are definitely worth getting and I definitely haven't had any reason to want to stop listening to them.
        sigpic

Comment

I've purchased "Shell Game" only and this one is really brilliant - 5/5 from me for both James Swallow for a great story and for Claudia Black for giving such a wonderful performance and presenting (thanks to the writer) much more about Vala than we were able to see in the show.

Comment

Shell Game was hilarious. But I guess it depends on whether you like Vala or not.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
              Shell Game was hilarious. But I guess it depends on whether you like Vala or not.
              I think that Vala in "Shell Game" was actually deeper than in the series, so there's a big chance that even somebody who isn't a big fan of Vala on the show may change their mind after listening to it.

Comment

Thanks for all the info!

Comment

Working...
                X