Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

((introducing a new character. ))

[Jeanie Wilman's Cottage - outskirts of Foreston]

Jeanie continued to broom the porch outside of her house (it wasn't really dirty, but it helped her to think and clear her mind). She'd stopped for a while looking at the now empty house of her neighbour. She'd heard they'd taken him back to the base, apparently something had happened in town. He'd fallen ill, and Dr Winchester hadn't been able to cure him, so he'd called the Infirmary at the base instead. The rumour mill at the store had worked overtime there for a moment, and she had finally been able to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Naturally when she went to visit David and found the house empty, she'd known the rumours were true. Jeanie sighed, shifting the broom. The worry about her absentminded neighbour had been constant in the back of her mind, ever since she'd heard about the events. Of course nobody on the military base would think of calling her to tell her if he was okay or not. The only thing she could do would be to contact the base herself, but she had no means to do that (safe for using David's own phone), and she wasn't sure the mayor would even allow her to do that. She didn't know Mayor Goodwin that well, plus she felt weird every time she was alone in David's house. As if she were a thief or something. She only ever entered it if he were there, too, to help him do the housekeeping.

Still, Jeanie was sure she would find out in due time. David never could stay on the base for long, whenever he felt cramped or "caved in", he would hurry back to his house, and then they would share their meals once again. He would sometimes read to her, too. She'd enjoyed those times, Jeanie mused.

Jeanie Wilman wasn't married and lived alone in her small cottage in Foreston. She had come from Earth, intended to be a factory worker in Riverton but there'd been no place available anymore when she arrived there. Apparently someone had messed up the paperworks and now here she was, stuck. Still, the most part of her was glad though, ever since she learned about the destruction of Earth. She was safe now, wasn't she? Her position was better now than it had ever been, even on Earth. Jeanie now had every comfort available, and plenty of food. The only thing she lacked, was a companion, though David was a good friend, and she didn't really need anything more.

After the original confusion about her work had ended, Jeanie had ended up becoming the manager of the Foreston General Store, which was of course now closed, it being Saturday night. The sun was setting already as Jeanie finally decided she'd broomed enough and went back inside, to start her lonely dinner.
    Last edited by Ryn; 20 January 2008, 10:04 AM. Reason: minor edit to reflect her bio

Comment

[Jack's]

Lance smiled at Kim. "It wouldn't surprise me if Jack tweaked the seating arrangements a bit." When the waitress came back with their drinks and menus, he raised an eyebrow when he saw prime rib of beef au jus as a special. He'd always loved it, and it was the one cut of steak he'd never mastered cooking, largely because he didn't have the patience to slow-roast it. He took a sip of the beer then spoke again, "This is a pretty nice lager. It reminds me of a brew one of my friends used to bring to base after he'd go home on leave, Yuengling Amber Lager. How's the wine?"

He paused briefly, then spoke again. "So Claire supplied the CDs? Any album titles, or is it going to be a completely random surprise?"

The waitress returned to take their order, and Lance gestured to allow Kim to place her order first. Once she'd completed her order, Lance resisted the urge to go for the 20 ounce prime rib and instead opted for the 16 ounce cut, a feeble attempt at being gentlemanly, with onion rings and mashed potatoes on the side. For the salad, he decided to try the featured mango-coconut dressing on romaine lettuce.

After the waitress returned to the kitchen with the orders, he smiled at Kim... that was becoming a reflexive action, it seemed. "Seemed like the waitress was big for the sing-along thing tonight. Hutchinson would have a blast, especially if he could plug his bass in. I still like our previous plans, though if it's still going on when we get back, I could probably be persuaded to take a turn at the mike. How about you?"

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

Comment

Originally posted by Jynjyr View Post
        [ Mayor's house ]

Spoiler:
        It was almost full dark by the time they finished. A chilly breeze kept creeping over the fence to swirl around the yard, robbing the patio of the heat from the brick fireplace / grill.
        Goodwin shivered slightly as the cool air brushed the back of her neck. "We have three choices here. We could sit out here and freeze, we could go inside and sit in the parlor or, and I vote for this one, you two go off somewhere and spend some time together."

Callista brightened up at the last option. "We'll help you clean this up first, Laura."
        She stood and started gathering dirty dishes and silverware, "I insist."

It only took a few minutes to move everything into the house. Once there, Goodwin put an arm around both Nick and Cal and walked them out of the kitchen. "There, you helped. It won't take me five minutes to put the leftovers away, rinse the dishes and stack them in the sink. Go on, get out of here. Jack's has sing-along tonight, if you're interested. Or you could go to the park if you'd rather be alone."
        She gave them a gentle push and jokingly ordered, "Go on. Go have some fun."

[ Mayor's house ]

After only a feeble token protest, Nick helped Callista on with her jacket, slipped into his own and held the door for her. "We'll try not to be too late or make noise when we come in."
        "Don't worry about it," Goodwin assured them, "I'll leave the side light on for you."

[ Foreston's streets ]

Once outside, Nick offered his arm to Cal and they strolled down the street toward Jack's. Hesitating near the door, the man did an abrupt about face and walked the other way. "If you don't mind, can we walk in the park for a little bit? I need some peace and quiet to work out something."
        Not that anyplace in Foreston was well lit at night but the park seemed even darker. The white gravel paths glowed faintly in the light of the smaller moon and the shrubbery took on fantastic animal shapes. After Cal stumbled a couple of times, Nick suspected that his night vision was now much better than hers. He tugged her over to a bench and sat down, letting his arm rest around her shoulders.
        Last edited by Gen Blue; 17 January 2008, 02:10 PM.
        Wondering what's happening? Updates for Everything
        sigpic

Comment

Jack's Place

Kim took a sip of her wine before opening the menu, she gave a smirk at Lance's words regarding Jack, "I don't think complaining is in order, thou." she spoke as she skimmed the menu. Reading the chicken and avocado risotto with house salad, she looked at Lance again when he spoke, "Wine's sharp and crisp, a bit on the dry side too." She managed to say with a straight face as the 'sharp' part was going have her in hard fits of giggles.

She placed her order for the risotto, then turned to look at him to answer his question after he placed his order. "I didn't get a chance to read the anything on the CD's. From its covers it has no titles. Knowing her. I think we are going to be expecting few surprises."

Kim laughed, at his telling of Hutchinson's love for music, "Hes not one of those types who who loves to place the whole output system ion the loudest level? He would have gotten along with my other cousin Chad."

She considered his question carefully, "I'm worst at singing," she admitted, "But I think you should take your turn on the mike." and of course rib him about afterwards.

"If we get the chance we can stick with our other plans too. That way we get a fair deal all around."

Comment

[Jack's Place]

Lance did a slight double take when Kim's eyes gleamed a bit when she said the word 'sharp'. She'd definitely been around Chris quite a bit. "Hopefully nothing too obnoxious is on the mix she gave you, but yeah, Claire strikes me as someone who couldn't resist putting a couple zingers in there."

At her question about Hutchinson, he replied jovially, "Larry's a great bass player. He'll want to be heard, but he's all about the overall ensemble sound. If the situation calls for 'melting faces', as he puts it, he'll do that, but he's equally happy laying down a funky groove as he is ripping an insane prog metal bass line or 'channeling Jaco'. Apparently if there was a diety bass players worship, it's that guy."

He took another sip of the beer, and had to lean back quickly as the waitress arrived with their salads rather quickly - service that prompt was hard to find in a restaurant. "So you're saying you want to hit the sing-along first, then go for the walk? Whatever you'd like is fine with me. To be honest, I'm just thrilled to have the chance to spend some quality time with you." He smiled widely, then took a bite of the salad, savoring it. The mango-coconut dressing was unlike anything he'd ever had before. "You should try this, the dressing is really interesting," he said, offering her a forkful.

Comment

Jack's Place

Kim this round gave out a snicker as she reached for her wine glass, "Good Lord, I hope not. If she did, even Sharp wouldn't able save her from getting zatted," picking her glass she took a sip, "Oh she wouldn't able to resist it all right, why do you think she's the troublemaker of the team?" Kim winked, "Sharp's sense of humor seemed to be rubbing of on her just fine. Come to think of it it's right on his whole team. Don't keep looking surprised at that." She had noticed him doing alot of double takes when she used some of Sharp's lines.

Kim giggled at the description, "I'm sure he would," she nodded, "sing a along, seems to be suited to him. Sent him here next weekend and then see what happens."

"Heavy metal?" she asked as she playfully rubbed her ear for the loud effect of the music. "You don't say," her voice was light.

"Why not?" she hunched her shoulder, "we are already here. Might as well join in. That way I can find out how you singing is," she grinned as her eyes twinkled as she snapped of a piece of his toasted bread and took a bite.

When he offered her the salad, she took a fork out of his hand and ate the rocket on it, "mm mm," she savior the dressing flavor, "Coconut and mango?" she asked after the food was no longer in her mouth as she took a sip of her wine "Interesting"

Comment

[Jack's Place]

Lance shrugged and shook his head in defeat. "Sorry, It'll just take a while to get used to hearing Sharp-isms or Sharp-ies or whatever you want to call them coming from the woman I love." As he said the last words, he didn't even realized he'd said them and been so open with his inner feelings and just continued conversing.

"Oh, Larry'd have a blast as long as they let him plug in. We'll have to ask about the town musicians. If there's anyone he could jam with, that could also help mend fences between the base and Foreston." He smiled as she tried the salad. "It is interesting. Not a combination I'd have come up with, maybe we should pass it on to Swanson." He had a few more bites of the salad, and right as he finished it, their entrees arrived.

When the waitress placed his steak in front of him, Lances mouth watered. The prime rib was done to medium rare perfection, with a generous amount of au jus in a deep plate. The mashed potatoes were slathered with butter and a savory brown gravy that smelled wonderful, and, to his delight, the onion rings were about twice as much as portions he'd had elsewhere. When the waitress placed a small container of what she called "jack's spicy dipping sauce" in front of him and said it was for the onion rings, he just grinned.

Forcing himself from admiring the meal, he spoke to the waitress. "If it tastes half as good as it looks and smells, you've got a new regular, at least as often as I can get off base." She smiled and told him she'd inform Jack, then gave Kim her entree. After she'd left, Lance turned back to Kim. "If I start going to town on this steak, please don't be offended. It's been AGES since I've had a meal that was this appetizing. I promise I'll TRY to be a gentleman," he said with a wink.

Taking the first bite of the steak, he savored it, enjoying the subtle mix of seasonings they'd put in the au jus. Swallowing, he took a quick drink, then asked Kim, "How's the chicken?"

Comment

[ Mayor's house ]

True to her word, it only took Laura 5 minutes to get the kitchen presentable.
                  That done, she purposefully walked to her office and flipped on the light. Sitting at her desk, she made notes of what she wanted to tell the Town Council. Finally, she sighed and decided that the major point, Janus, couldn't wait for Monday. They would be PO'd enough at her for not telling them immediately. Picking up the phone, the Mayor started calling her council.
                  Mrs. Djahm and Mr. Heroux agreed to a short meeting. Expecting an argument, she dialed Mr. Cooper's number and left a message.
                  "Mr. Cooper, this is Mayor Goodwin. I'm calling a short emergency meeting of the Council this evening. Please give me a call a back as soon as possible."
                  She left the same message on Brian Hunt's phone and then called Mike Anderson.
                  "Hello Sandra, it's Laura Goodwin. I hate to bother Mike at home but, I really need to speak to him."

You're never too old to do something goofy.
                  sigpic
                  Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

Jack's Place

Kim just stared at him after his spoke his last words, as the tingly feeling ran through her heart as she wasn't sure if how to identify it. She opened her mouth to say something, when nothing came out she gave her glass of wine her attention as she tried not to go deep red on her face. Well dummy, she mentally scowled at herself, what were you expecting. The words would have been out sooner or later anyway.

Making sure she was composed Kim look at him, realizing she had only half heard of what he said, "I'm sure that would work. If you going pass this on to Swanson, just make sure you keep him away from mixing it with strawberries. Not that I don't like 'em. I'm allergic to them." she polished of her salad. "" She wasn't sure if Henry was aware of in the first place. Perhaps he would be, but Kim was doubtful.

She looked amused at his reaction to the steak, then quietly listened to him speak to the waitress, as she began to cool her meal down. She cocked her head, "Me offended. Why would I be that? Unless your planning on coming on your own all while I'm on another planet on missions. Then I would be offended," she said not realizing the ramification of her words which she said it a bit playfully.

She forked up some of the risotto, blew into it and then sampled, "Creamy and smooth, full of texture" she said after swallowing, feeling her tongue burn a bit she picked up water glass after drinking some amount then she forked up a reasonable amount and offered it to him, "Try it."

When he did take the fork and ate, Kim wondered if he was looking for smoothness or the creamy flavor. Grinning slightly she took her fork back, as they ate and conversed over their meals.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen Blue View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      [ Mayor's house ]

After only a feeble token protest, Nick helped Callista on with her jacket, slipped into his own and held the door for her. "We'll try not to be too late or make noise when we come in."
                      "Don't worry about it," Goodwin assured them, "I'll leave the side light on for you."

[ Foreston's streets ]

Once outside, Nick offered his arm to Cal and they strolled down the street toward Jack's. Hesitating near the door, the man did an abrupt about face and walked the other way. "If you don't mind, can we walk in the park for a little bit? I need some peace and quiet to work out something."
                      Not that anyplace in Foreston was well lit at night but the park seemed even darker. The white gravel paths glowed faintly in the light of the smaller moon and the shrubbery took on fantastic animal shapes. After Cal stumbled a couple of times, Nick suspected that his night vision was now much better than hers. He tugged her over to a bench and sat down, letting his arm rest around her shoulders.

[ Park ]

Cal leaned closer and slid her arm around Nick's waist. She was happy to sit in silence and just do nothing for a while. As pleasant as it was, Cal finally reached up and patted his cheek, "Hey, mister. Remember me?"
                      Sliding her fingers through his hair, she turned his face her way and laid a kiss on his lips. Deciding to take it slow, the woman broke off the passion and pulled back.
                      "I shocked you before didn't I? I'm sorry. Sometimes my mouth runs on without benefit of brains." Cal held a finger over Nick's mouth, stopping whatever protest he was about to make. "It's just that I keep thinking we wasted so much time sticking to the formalities. Even on Earth, we could have been friends, off duty at least. Did you know that your mother invited me to spend the holidays with your family? She said she had to meet the 'wonderful Callista' that you were always talking about."
                      Hugging Nick tight, she sniffled, "I really wanted to get to know them. Natalya and Alex sounded like true menschen."

sigpic

Comment

[ Mayor's house ]

True to her word, it only took Laura 5 minutes to get the kitchen presentable.
                        That done, she purposefully walked to her office and flipped on the light. Sitting at her desk, she made notes of what she wanted to tell the Town Council. Finally, she sighed and decided that the major point, Janus, couldn't wait for Monday. They would be PO'd enough at her for not telling them immediately. Picking up the phone, the Mayor started calling her council.
                        Mrs. Djahm and Mr. Heroux agreed to a short meeting. Expecting an argument, she dialed Mr. Cooper's number and left a message.
                        "Mr. Cooper, this is Mayor Goodwin. I'm calling a short emergency meeting of the Council this evening. Please give me a call a back as soon as possible."
                        "Hello Sandra, it's Laura Goodwin. I hate to bother Mike at home but, I really need to speak to him."

Special Agent Brian Hunt- Brian's House

Brian was very busy packing up his "essentials". His toothbrush,clothes, reflective sunglasses, laptop and pillow and pillowcase. He came to some old photos faded with age and wrinkled. A man and his at the park, a family posing with smiling faces. He promptly placed them in a box without a second thought. As he continued to pack Brian thought he heard something and once he was able to discern that it was his telephone in the far side of his house it was too late to answer. Reaching the answering machine Brian activated it and heard the message from the mayor. Brian immediately picked up the phone and called her back

***RING***RING***RING***

Comment

[ Sarah Whitely - Foreston ]

Sarah chose a pie. She didn't know much about the flavours so she chose one that sounded quite nice. Taking a bite she enjoyed its sumptous flavour and relished it. Taking a few more bites she cleanly finished it off whilst Zach was literally like a kid eating his favourite meal. She smiled at his quirky way and they both headed towards the market stalls. Browsing them Sarah saw many interesting wares but wasn't in the mood for buying. She spotted something that was tempting but shook her head.

Turing around at Zach's voice she saw him handling, in awe, at a book he had picked up and saw him buy it. She smiled and turned to thank the stall owner she had been chatting with before heading over to Zach.

"Yea, sure. Let's head back." She replied to his question as they both started to return to where they were staying.
                          Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
                          LOVE HIM-> DT
                          ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

[ Mayor's house ]

[Sheriff's house]

"Sure, Laura. I'll go get him right away," Sandra replied, then put the receiver on the table and went to find her husband. He was sitting outside in the garden, enjoying the sunset. There wasn't much sunset to enjoy now, she thought, seeing him sitting there in the pitch darkness.

"For goodness sake, Mike, get inside. It gets cold after dark," she told him, taking the few steps down that led into the garden. He looked up at her. Seeing the expression on his face, lit spookily from the kitchen's light, she immediately headed over.

"What's wrong?"
                            "Nothing. Time of year, I guess."
                            "You sure?"
                            "Yeah."

And it was true. His wife was close to him now so everything was alright again. Mike slid his arms around her and just held her for a while. Sandra smiled, enjoying the moment, but then remembered the phone.

"Oh, Goodwin called. She wants to speak to you. Phone's still open."
                            "Oh, why didn't you say?"
                            "I just did."

Bad mood now gone completely, he playfully grinned up at her and gave her a gentle kiss. "Yes, you did. Come on. Let's see what our mayor has to say."

He let go of her, and took her hand instead. They headed back inside and Mike immediately picked up the receiver.

"Sorry for the wait, Laura, what's up?"

Sheriff Mike Anderson

Comment

[ Mayor's house ]

"Hi, Mike. Like I told Sandra, I hate to bother you at home on a Saturday night but, the council needs to meet. General Blue is in town and he had some information that you all need to know ASAP."

A flashing light on the phone told her that another call was coming in. "Give me a minute, Mike. The other line is ringing."
                              She punched the button and said, "Mayor Goodwin's office. Can you hold for a moment, please?"

sigpic

Comment

[Anderson's house]

He'd put the speaker on so Sandra heard as well. Mike shared a look with her when he heard about the mayor's request.
                                "Uh, okay..." He said when told to wait for a bit as she had another line.

Things were getting complicated again, why can't it ever go normal in this town?, he thought, and Sandra edged closer seeing the worry on his face. Mike held up a hand, telling her that way to keep quiet. Right now he needed a clear head, especially with official business. Wonder what's going on. Sandra nodded, giving him an affectionate smile, and then left to the kitchen, knowing he would come and tell her what was happening. She knew everything he knew, right from the start. There were no secrets between them, ever. Mike winked back at her and set the speaker on 'off', holding the receiver now to his ear.

Sheriff Mike Anderson.

Comment

Working...
                                X