No announcement yet.

Outdoor Docking Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

((Probably just a little babbling brook.))

Stevens could hear Hughes grumbling, but she was just going to ignore it and hope this blew over. Calling him on it would just aggravate the situation. Yes, there were a few flaws. 'Admit it, Stevens, a lot of flaws. This is why you put training in the hands of a staff, technical, or master sergeant, it's their job. You fly planes, how much ground command experience do you actually have? One off-world mission, and your team came back as little kids!'

She shifted her rucksack again. 'I can do this, Blue trusted me with the job, we just need to work out the kinks of being brand new to each other.'

((Anybody else feel like we're beating a dead horse? There's only so much danger we can come up on our own planet. I really should have posted more planning stuff beforehand, never seen a field exercise from the "arranging it" perspective. I've always been in the participation side.))

Last edited by DragonGate; 02 February 2008, 03:19 AM. Reason: New sig style
    "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
    " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
    Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

(((OOC: Hey guys, I've got a big question.....Where is Kari Crescent right now? Is Captain Crescent with the rest of the team? Or is she still alone out in the woods hopping around with the bunnies?)))

"Tibet is not a contact information, it's a country. Why not just write Earth while you're at it, incase anyone needs to know where Tibet is?"- Ingrid from Uptown Girls

Comment

(((OOC: Oh Problem fixed, I now know where I am.)))

Kari had joined up with the others when she heard the commotion going down and Stevens ended up giving Gripley and Hughes some talking to. She stood to the side with an raised eyebrow noticing Hughes wasn't too happy about how things went down. Thoughts ran through Kari's mind, from what she had seen, Hughes was a hot-head and his mouth tend to run him off, the same mouth which at the moment was setting fires to Kari's usual calm temper.

As the team headed toward another destination, Kari knew she had to say something or else Hughes would gripe and moan all day long. "Hey Hughes, better cool down that attitude of yours or I'll cool it for you in that river we just passed." Her eyes glaring at Hughes, "Sometimes things happen that aren't logical at all, but that doesn't mean they aren't real or that they won't happen. Not everything has to be logical. So you better start behaving like a good little soldier and give some respect to your commander instead acting like a petulant 5 year old."

Kari would support Stevens, that much she had already decided. They were a team, and teammates stand by each other, and Kari was gonna make sure Hughes get that point.

(((OOC: Sorry Hughes, LOL Bad temper and mouthing is something Kari doesn't like. LOL)))
        Last edited by The Shadow; 04 January 2008, 07:53 PM.

"Tibet is not a contact information, it's a country. Why not just write Earth while you're at it, incase anyone needs to know where Tibet is?"- Ingrid from Uptown Girls

Comment

Gripley noticed that the air between Hughes and Stevens was not settling down, on the countrary, steam was rising and boiling point not far ahead. She wasn't the only one who noticed, hearing Captain Crescent reprimanding Hughes as if he were a little boy.

"So you better start behaving like a good little soldier and give some respect to your commander instead of a petulant 5 year old."

Gripley snickered, so Stevens's last mission wasn't the only one on which she brought home kids instead of adults. She didn't dare voice the thought out loud, however, with all the brewing going on already. Plus she doubted whether the comment by Crescent would make things better. More likely Hughes would feel offended even more and explode... It probably wasn't a good moment for pulling jokes. Quickly she forced her features to be serious again, which wasn't all that hard, with her being weary and wary of this whole exercise. And they weren't done yet, who knew what else lay ahead of them?

That thought pulled her back together and to reality again. Gripley started scanning their surroundings like the sniper she was, alert for anything that might happen. The rustling brushes ahead could hold any creature, the creaking branches of the nearby trees could hide hiddeous birds. Watchful, they needed to be watchful.

((okay, this last paragraph can be the introduction to some sort of event. I'll PM the Major on the details... Though I have no idea about permissions from other forum people though, but if it's a no go, then I'll just have Gripley tired and wary and weary ))
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Shadow View Post
            (((OOC: Sorry Hughes, LOL Bad temper and mouthing is something Kari doesn't like. LOL)))
            ((Just hope you can handle what you're messing with... ))

His jaw nearly hit the ground as he heard what Crescent had to say. Could she possibly be that blind? "Just you listen here," Hughes refrained from sneering at her rank, as he continued. "There is always a pattern, always some logic behind what happens, deny it as you might." And so he glared back, refusing to accept what Crescent had to say. He purposefully chose to skip over saying anything else, and instead returned to his muttering.

((Heh. Had to cut that short; time to run.))

Comment

((Not very inspired for Stevens lately, but I'll try to get one out before I go on LOA.))

Stevens focused on finding a creek running toward the river. Heating up MREs and having some lunch would, hopefully, put everyone in a better mood.

There were a few adjustments of direction, she kept notes of the azimuthes and the occasional back azimuth. The sound of running water guided the team to a small creek. About ten feet across, running clear and on a straight part of the creek. "Chow time, I hope it's obvious to everyone which water to drink and which to use in a MRE heater. Clue, your own canteens are from the filtered stock on base."

Last edited by DragonGate; 02 February 2008, 03:20 AM. Reason: New sig
              "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
              " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
              Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

((Time to put the muse to test on something that isn't a fantasy novel. ))

Yeah, was there really anyone among the group who needed that clue? Hughes smirked. If there was, it wasn't him. Truth be told, Hughes wouldn't have been all that surprised to find that Major Stevens was trying to get him to shut up via food. Well, he might just give her that one. Just this once, though.

With that, Hughes sought out an area a decent distance off. If he really was going to give them some peace that didn't mean he actually had to be nearby, did it? There was always the chance ... but Hughes didn't find it to be a likely one.

((Eh ... slightly forced, but decent enough, I suppose. I'll let it pass. ))

Comment

((Thank the Light; I believe the muse has fully returned. Time to complete my thoughts on this matter! Yeah, shoot me for the double-post, but I'm actually kinda sorta bored. ))

Maybe the time alone had been all he needed to think things through clearly; maybe it was something else entirely, but something made him approach Major Stevens. Hughes could just imagine the flak he was going to be on the receiving end of, he was positive that it wouldn't be pretty. Then again, was it ever? Taking a deep breath, Hughes dared to speak up, voice softened. In this case, it was best to not give off the wrong impression. "Ma'am?" Hughes questioned, taking great care to show proper respect. "A word?"

Part of him half-expected to not even get that far, and he patiently waited for a response -- any response -- to encourage him to continue in his moment of swallowing his pride, not an easy thing for him, in the least. 'Just have to breathe,' Hughes reminded himself.

Comment

Stevens was fighting with a jelly packet, crackers open and laying on her thigh. She heard Hughes approach and speak. She pulled her combat knife and cut open the darn grape jelly before laying the jelly and crackers down on the bag and standing up.

"Other side of the creek good for you, Lieutenant?"

Last edited by DragonGate; 02 February 2008, 03:24 AM. Reason: New sig

Discover a … New Galaxy

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

"Yeah," Hughes quickly edited that statement. "Ah, yes ma'am. Obviously not as careful as he would have liked to have been. Heck, he was on -- his third sentence? -- and he'd already slipped up. Part of him just wanted to shoot himself now to end the misery, probably be faster than whatever suffering he'd have to endure at the hands of Major Stevens.

"Alright, I tend to overanalyze, and overreact slightly, probably more than slightly. So, lay it on; we both know that explanation isn't going far, ma'am." There was no amount of saving to be had here. Maybe her scenario hadn't been sound, but his reaction had been uncalled for, and had carried on for too long. Whatever he was on the receiving end of here was probably better than he would deserve.

((Anyways, it's later than I realized, so that's going to have to do; words are starting to run together.))

Comment

Stevens hid a little bit of amusement when Hughes slipped up and quickly covered himself. Yes, sir, no, ma'am, was obviously not in the marine's nature. Boot camp must have been hell for him.

He gave his excuse, while admitting it wasn't an excuse. But the whole situation reminded her of herself at his age and rank, not long ago at all.

"I knew someone once, about your age. Dogfight training, an F-15 versus a MiG-29. The MiG OPFOR pilot was flying below and behind the F-15 student pilot, completely parallel. OPFOR fired his weapons and the OC in the tower told the F-15 to land because the MiG had shot it down. The pilot did it, but argued with the OC that since all fighter jets shoot straight ahead, it was physically impossible for the MiG to do what he'd declared it did. And kept arguing. And the pilot found herself as the squadron's brand-new SLJO for the rest of the time she was in fixed-wing flight training."

Stevens rolled her neck to try to get it to pop. "It wasn't because she argued, it was because she did it in public, right on the flight line in front of the flight crews and other student pilots who had been downed. I know my scenario had flaws, I didn't get the planning in I needed and grabbed an opportunity that seemed to be open. But you don't air your grievances in front of everyone, and you don't argue with the commander in front of the rest of the unit."

((OPFOR = opposing forces, SLJO= S***ty Little Jobs Officer, OC=Observer/Controller. An SLJO is a junior officer who gets all the tedious admin stuff no one else wants, unofficial acronym. An OC is a senior officer or NCO who watches a training exercise to judge and evaluate the participants.))
                        Last edited by DragonGate; 02 February 2008, 03:25 AM. Reason: New sig

Discover a … New Galaxy

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

So Major Stevens was going to compare him to someone she knew; Hughes had to admit that it wasn't the reaction he had seen coming. Definitely sounded like something he would do, though. Competitive nature forced Hughes to exclude the word 'losing' from his vocabulary. The point that Major Stevens was still valid, either way. That much was certain, and it bugged him.

"And I know that," Hughes admitted, responding to the point of airing grievances before others, the closing statement from Major Stevens. What he wouldn't do was provide any further explanations, any such thing that could be taken as an excuse. "So what now, ma'am?"

Comment

Stevens started walking back to the shallow creek they were using as a chow site. Hoping that ants hadn't taken an interest in the grape jelly. Did Gaia have ants?

"We eat, we drink, we be merry. After lunch, we're going to work on tactical entry of a stargate, Hughes. And how to do so without cracking your skull open on the ramp."

Discover a … New Galaxy

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Hughes smirked. Tactical entry of a stargate, without cracking your skull? "Somehow, I don't think that's going to be a problem." That couldn't possibly be any harder than *not* getting killed by a defensive back trying to level you with a highlight hit for years to come.

It dawned on him. "Uh, that's it? That's all you have to say on the matter?" Hughes came to a halt, and stared blankly. I mean my reaction wasn't called for. At all, really. And you give me a ... story? He gaped openly. What on Gaia was she thinking; it hardly seemed appropriate.

Comment

"You know you were in the wrong, Hughes. What else can I really do to you? I mean, if you want a field-grade Article 15, I can do the paperwork when we return to base. It'd be a bit meaningless, we don't get paid every month anymore and I don't the authority to demote you. You could be court-martialed under Article 89, but a full court-martial would be near impossible under our present circumstances."

"Low-crawl from here back to the chow area, and keep your weapon up out of the dirt." Stevens walked back to her lunch.

Discover a … New Galaxy

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Working...
                                X