Infirmary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Staff Lounge -> Nurse's Station]

Julianna really hoped that Delen wouldn't think that she was rude leaving in the middle of their conversation, but thankfully Carrie's suggesstion gave the Aran woman something new to focus on. "Alright, Delen, I'll get some rest. Good luck with your visit, and we'll definately have to talk some more when Gus lets me back in here." The doctor said as the other woman left the room.

Then turning her attention to Carrie, she offered her friend a tired smile, and made quick work of logging out of the computer, and gathering her stuff to leave for the day. "Ok. I think's that everything. Now, about Nat...?" Julianna prompted the other doctor as they started to walk toward the nurse's station.

Julianna listened to the update with a professional head, but the end still didn't know what to make of all the evidence. "Wow. This just keeps getting more and more mind boggling all the time. One of those cases where I'm glad I'm not the CMO. I know that Gus knows what he's doing, I just hope that it pays off soon."

They had reached the nurse's station a full minute ago, and Julianna could already tell that Carrie had at least two patients waiting for her. Mary was already leading Major Johnson to the med bay, and there was at least one person in the waiting area that would need attention. But nothing looked too serious. Impulsively, Julianna leaned in and gave her friend a small hug, whispering in her ear. "Call me when she wakes up, just for my own peace of mind. And don't hesitate to page me if things get too crazy in here."

Walking intentionly over to the 'Doctor's Status' board, she scribbled a short note to let the nurse's know that she would be out of the office for at least 24 hours, but to page her if there was an emergency. "Bye, Carrie. If I'm awake, I'll try to catch you for a late diner, or maybe breakfast in the morning." Julianna called as she headed for the stairwell, hopefully for the last time that day.

<<To Quarters, NPC-land>>

NPC – Julianna Steele, MD

[Nurse Mary Irving-Nurse's Station -> Med Bay]

Mary led Adria back to the med bay, and indicated for the Major to take a seat on one of the beds. She quickly pulled the curtain around the bed, and got ready to began a preliminary check-up. "Go ahead and take off your boots, and I'll check that ankle of yours. We can work our way up from there." The nurse instructed.

As she examined the other woman, Mary asked a few leading questions to determine the Major's overall physical fitness. "So, anything the doctors need to know about since the incident with the tea. Headaches, dizziness, soreness?"
    Dear Journal
    My contribution to the Stargate Rewatch experience. Will be updated nearly everyday, and will cover all episodes, and characters.

Comment

< Waiting area >

“No I wouldn’t, it was just a suggestion ma’am. I was more like hoping that it would make sense and you’d volunteer to see one…” Tim slipped a sigh “Never mind, I’ll just go and get that ice pack.”
      He turned on his heel and walked over to one of the supply closets in the corridor. This time he didn’t have to rummage around to find what he was looking for like he’d done the other night when he’d brought Julia in; he found what he was looking for at an instant

One minute later he was back in the waiting area with the activated Cold pack wrapped up in a towel he’d grabbed from a supply cart and handed it over to the captain.
      “Here you go ma’am… You might want to… you know… tuck it inside your… shirt…?”

Carrie returned the friendly hug and then looked at Julianna with a grin “Sure I will, as long as you get out of here… so that I can call you!”
      She watched the retreating back of the stubborn doctor before walking towards that medic as he handed over a …towel? ‘Tim. Right, got it. And the woman?’ Carrie slipped a deep sigh, she knew she’d met her, never as a patient though, but the name just slipped away.
      “Hi, can I help you two?”

Tim groaned inwardly ‘So much for volunteering! Really nice timing doc.’ and looked at the captain “Well, we sort of had a bit little bit of a bump in on the basket ball court”

“A bump in?” Carrie looked more then a little doubtful and placed a hand on the towel. “A little “bump” doesn’t render a trip down here to get an ice pack.” She shot a glance on the name tag ‘Johannson! Of course, weird spelling though.’ and then passed the ice pack on to the captain
      “Come on, in to the Med bay with you, grab a cot and tell me what happened.”

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence"

Comment

[Waiting Area-Med Bay]

Not get a doctor, unless she volunteered. The meaning of Tim's words repeated themselves in her head. Maybe CJ had pegged the man incorrectly after all. The Captain's mind was busy trying to understand the medic when he suddenly returned, much quicker than she would have thought possible. "Thanks, Sgt. I think I'll do that." She said, grinning at what appeared to be a moment of akwardness for the man.

CJ nearly groaned out loud at the appearance of one of the doctors. Trust the docs to always show up at exactly the wrong moment. She took the other woman's words for what they were, doctor's orders, and stood from her comfortable spot on the couch, holding the cold pack against the now numb spot on the right side of her chest. "It's just a bruise, Doc. The cold pack's a habit of mine, to make sure that the bruising doesn't get any worse." CJ explained as she reluctantly followed the doctor into the med bay.

Sitting down on the edge of one of the beds, CJ kept the ice pack firmly in place while she explained what had happened on the basketball court. "It was an accident. Tim and I were playing a 10-point round of basketball, and we collided. His elbow hit my chest at the exact right angle to knock the wind out of me, and cause a bruise, but nothing more."

Dear Journal
        My contribution to the Stargate Rewatch experience. Will be updated nearly everyday, and will cover all episodes, and characters.

Comment

< Med bay >

“A bruise uh?” Carrie shut the privacy curtains around the bed as she continued to speak. “Now don’t take this personal captain, but over the years that I’ve been working for the Air force, I’ve come to learn that it’s more common that people around here play things down rather than actually telling me how bad they are…” She offered the woman grin of sympathy as she continued and snapped on a pair of gloves. “…and I have to admit that I’m especially suspicious to officers I haven’t had as patients before. So, shirt up please and let me have a look at that “bruise” of yours.”

Comment

[Med Bay]

CJ frowned at the doctor's words. If she hadn't come in here for the ice pack at all, then maybe the other woman would have a good foundation for thinking that she didn't want to admit how injured she was. But that action alone should demonstrate that she was willing to recognize that she was hurt. Sighing, she did as the doctor requested, and lifted her shirt so the woman could examine her chest. CJ flinched slightly at the movement, but didn't protest as the doctor examined the area, at least not too much.

"Like I said, it's just a bruise. Probably didn't even really need the ice. But I thought that would be better than just leaving it alone until it got worse." CJ explained, and ducked her head slightly in order to dare a quick glance at the injury for herself. It was red, and definately tender, but the bruise hadn't quite taken on a full shape yet. But the Captain knew that it could take a day or two to darken and become more noticable.

Dear Journal

Comment

< Med bay >

Carrie examined the area as thorough, yet careful as she could; hissing a “Sorry!” in response to Johannson’s wince and obvious discomfort.
              “Okay I’m done, you can get dressed again…” she said as she straightened up a minute later and tossed away the gloves in a nearby trash bin, adding with bit of a smile “Ice is good and I do agree with you on the “just a bruise-diagnosis.”

Carrie waited for her patient to get ready before opening the curtain while rattling off: “Have to tell you this anyway; Even though it'll hurt, don't forget to take some deep breaths every now and then and if you’re experiencing any trouble breathing, shortness of breath or if the pain gets any worse then you can handle with the Ibuprofen I’m going to send along with you, then you come right back down here... But I guess that last thing of goes without saying, right?”
              She looked back at Johannson, still grinning, hoping that this officer might actually be one of the few that followed doctor’s orders without any objections…

Last edited by Northern Girl; 02 September 2008, 11:08 AM.

Comment

[Med Bay -> Nurse's Station]

CJ smiled almost triumphantly when the doctor announced her final diagnosis. Finally, a case where the patient was actually right all along. The Captain carfully pulled back on her shirt and hopped off the edge of the bed. CJ listened as the doctor ran through her list of instructions, and nodded when she had finished. "Got it, doc. I'll be sure to tell you if anything unusual happens." She agreed to the terms.

As a safety engineer, she was the one telling others to always listen to what the doctors say, and to never hesitate to alert medical personnel if they were injured. She wouldn't be very good at her job if she didn't take her own advice. She returned the other woman's grin and waited for the doctor to locate some pain killers. Not that CJ really thought she needed them, but it would make it easier to concentrate on her work in the lab if she wasn't flinching everytime she moved her arm. The others in the lab wouldn't say anything for fear of being insubordinate, but they would notice.

Dear Journal

Comment

< Med bay >

“Okay then! Hang on a minute and I’ll get you those pills.” Carrie walked over to the medicine cabinet and put the pills in a small envelope before returning to Johannson, handing over the envelope.
                  Here you go, probably enough for a week. It won’t take away the pain completely though, just enough for you to breath properly and move around, doing your day to day business. One pill, twice a day, preferably when you eat, just to keep the ulcer away… Okay?”

Comment

[Med Bay]

CJ greatfully accepted the envelope of pills from the doctor, and listened closely to her final instructions. The Captain nodded her head to indicate that she understood. "Right. Food. That's what I've been forgetting." She said more to herself than to the doctor.

Remembering that the other woman was still listening, she grinned slightly. "Okay, doc. I've got a couple of enlisteds that work in the lab with me, and they have no fear of speaking freely. They won't let me forget to eat. In fact, I plan to grab a sandwich right after I take a shower." The officer knew first hand just how important remembering to eat was, and also knew that it was the number one soap box of most military doctors.

"Well, you've probably got other patients to see, and I have to go wash off some of this sweat. That sgt. is quite the basketball player. But don't tell him I said that." CJ winked at the doctor, and turned toward the elevator, one step closer to a hot shower, and some food.

<<To Mess Hall via Women's locker room>>

Dear Journal

Comment

[Nurses' station]

The phone on the desk rang. When one of the nurses on duty picked it up, they heard the voice of Sergeant Bellano.

<<PHONE>>"This is Sergeant Bellano in the Hangar bay. Get a stretcher down here stat, we've got someone wounded!"<</PHONE>>

"What happened?"

<<PHONE>>"It's senior airman Chikozu... she'd just gone running, and now she's back, wounded." Then the man that had caught Ryn, hurriedly whispered what he knew in Bellano's ear.

"Uh ... apparently she's been fighting a tiger. In the forest. How she got back on her own, I don't know! She's bleeding like crazy!"<</PHONE>>

-------
                      ((will leave the actual medical stuff & further procedures to you doctors ))

Comment

< Nurses’ station / Waiting area >

"We're on our way!" ‘Never a dull moment around this place’ Sam slammed the receiver down on the phone, grabbed a backpack from under the counter and hurried across the waiting area heading for the Med bay where he knew at least Dr Svensson was, while shouting towards the waiting area Tim! Are you still on duty?”

Tim frowned and got up from the couch were he'd been dosing off while waiting for some news on how the captain was doing and got a few steps closer towards Sam “No, not really, why?”
                        “Well, consider yourself back on duty…” Sam tossed the back pack over to the medic and continued towards the Med bay doors as he spoke “A woman called Shikozo is wounded up in the hangar bay, tiger attack, lots of bleeding. I’m getting Svensson to come after you…”
                        The doors swooshed shut behind him and Sam was gone.
                        “D@mn it!” Tim swung the bag over his shoulders as he entered the stairs and climbed them as fast as his tired legs could carry him…

NPC – Sam Walker, RN

>> To Hangar bay>>

Comment

< Med bay >

Carrie smiled back “Don’t worry captain, I won’t tell; I’ll just file it under “patient-doctor-confidentiality"… or something. Take care!”
                          She took a deep breath and walked over towards Mary and Adria.
                          “Hello Adria, good to see you again. Mary, I’ll be outside by the nurses’ station updating some charts so just give me a call when you’re finished, okay?”
                          Mary replied with a nod and a “Yes, doctor” before turning her attention towards her patient again.
                          Carrie shook her head as she walked towards the Med bay doors ‘I give up! What is it that makes it impossible for her to call me by my first name? Title fixated peop…!'
                          The doors suddenly slammed opened, hitting her on her left shoulder, the one that she used to open the doors with. She grumbled some very well chosen bad words as Sam came storming in and stopped dead in front of her.
                          “I just sent Tim up to the hangar bay. There’s been a “tiger” attack on someone called Shikoso. She’s bleeding a lot, I think you should get up there ASAP…”
                          “All right, send some orderlies with a gurney, I’m taking the stairs.” Carrie didn’t bother to correct Sam about the right pronunciation of the sergeant’s name; he’d probably get corrected later anyway, by its owner; and then she headed towards the stairs.

>> to Hangar bay >>

Comment

[Recovery Room #2]

Spoiler:
                            Originally posted by max_omega View Post
                            Alex shook her head at Natasha, "Yes you are human, but you are Ancient as well. Its not just about embracing who you are, or accepting who you are. You are who you are, no one can change that. I am not asking you to rebuild yourself. Your experiences make you who you are. But sometimes, we have to relive those experiences in order to deal with what is happening in our lives, now."

"You are more than I expected, and you don't know how many mistakes we made. As a people we aren't that different from the Tau'ri, were are not perfect. I made mistakes, that I can't take back, so did Janus." She than decided to take a more stern voice with Natasha after her little out burst, "Listen, I don't expect you to be like me in any way, but you can learn from my mistakes, Natasha. I don't want you to be like me, I want you to be you. I don't expect anything from you. Except to wake up and accept the gift you have been given."

"Its not about knowing what you want out of life, its about knowing what you want right now in life. Do you want to wake up? Do you want to live life outside of here?" Alex said in a more calm tone, trying to get her to think about what she wanted. She than felt the presence of some people enter the room, through Natasha senses. When Rachael grabbed Nat's hand she felt a slight surge of energy and to herself. "You can face it, but you won't face it alone. I am always with you, and after I am gone from here a part of me will linger on in here for a while."

"What 'if you immediately know the candle light is fire, the meal was cooked along time ago.' Sorry I am no Oma Desala, although I did know her." Alex said with a smile, "Good, trying is a start."

"I will be here for a while longer, and yes I will come with you." Alex said extending her hand, "I am here to help you."

"I...I know. I keep forgetting, just like everyone else does most of the time, that Ancients are Human too, just more down the evolutionary path. I mean before the glowing thing takes places, I guess. It's just that I... I don't feel like I can fit into these shoes." Natasha said in an almost child like voice. Her inner wounds and her feelings of inadequacy were empathetically showing now to anyone inside the recovery room and not just Alex.

"That's not what I meant... I know there is no perfection. There is only the will to try to be better and make things better." Natasha said resigned. "I know how you feel and I know how they feel. That's the problem." She said in a sadder tone. "I know you are satisfied with my achievements though right now they seem little even to myself and then what? What happens after I tell Blue I need a race change in my profile?" Natasha left the question hang for a few seconds then continued.

"Everything is going to change. The Tau'ri think of us like the solution to everything that is wrong. You have no way out of a dooming mess? Search for the leftover Ancient gadget that will save your ass. Having one living with them will be like a dream come true, except I can give them nothing of this. I can't save the day making up an Ancient device of doom from housewares like Orlin. I don't even know if my crystal based power source idea will work and they'll expect me to build a ZPM!!!" She said falling back into sarcasm to protect herself.

"Everything is gonna be so hard at first. They and I'll be disappointed everytime I'll have to say 'I don't know how to help with this one, guys'." She finished with a touch of uncertainty. Was she being a brat? Maybe, but she also knew there was truth to her words. "Or I could omit everything and not tell anyone of my true origins." She blurted the thought out ashamed it had even crossed her mind.

"I think I do want to wake up. I was told my double from a parallel universe had a kid and for a time a real family. I wish I had one too. I never told this to anyone, but I really want to have a kid. Maybe two. I love kids,....mom." She said opening her heart to Alex. Since Rachel had established a connection once they held hands, she also heard these words in her mind and shared as a helpless spectator in everything that came next.

"I always thought it meant that once you know exactly what something is it's because someone already figured it out and you've learned from such person somehow, be it a lecture, a book, a hologram or a head grabber. It also means, in my opinion, that since everything you know, all your knowledge, the food that feeds the spirit, came from another, you still gave no contribution to the collective. You still must find a way to make such contribution, to add something to the whole and then deserve to be a part of it. It doesn't matter if it's of a physical or ethereal nature, as long as it is your own realization and yours alone." Natasha explained her point of view. "It's interesting that you and Oma knew each other as human form people. Was she already a zen master type then or was it part of the Ascension transformation?" She asked curious.

Natasha took the offered hand and guided Alex into the next room, glad that she wouldn't be alone and unaware her feeling were leaking all over the place and Rachel was also accompanying her now.

Inside that room was one of the most traumatic memories that Natasha had not repressed to the point of forgetting. She and her then boyfriend, Jonas, were sharing a quite passionate moment in a college dorm room. Her empathic gift had just surfaced and she didn't imagine it could harm anyone but herself until that moment when Jonas fell lifeless beneath her and that sensation of emptiness filled her mind, a sensation she'd later connect with death. The despair that filled her at reliving that moment made Natasha release Alex hand with a brisk movement and run out of the room crying once more.

She didn't want to talk, she just wanted to run, but she was trapped. The only way out and away from Alex was behind one of those doors. So she knocked open with a kick the one right in front of the one she had just blurted out from. Inside was the answer of a mystery and the last step in her painful inner journey as she remembered what she did to Bisenti in the Brig. She tormented the man's mind until he thought his only way out was to kill himself. She fell to her knees and crumbled to the floor in tears, shouting out between sobs to Alex who had followed her in.

"I'm a killer, mom. That's what this so called gift of mine does. It kills people. We can't deny it after what we just saw. I can't deny it anymore." Alex then tried her best to reassure Natasha that it wasn't exactly like that, like any mother would, but she'd hear nothing of it anymore.

Opening her telepathic senses to the world one last time, piercing through the blocks in her mind through Alex's connection with Rachel, she declared to Alex, Rachel, Gus and Delen her final intention and reasons for it.
                            ~I could've killed someone, as casually, as unthinkingly, as you would crumble a piece of paper. I want no more deaths on my conscience. Your way, I'd have to stay completely in control of myself every second of every day for the rest of my God knows how long it will be life. Maybe I could do it. But if I slipped, even for an instant, if I...failed...If even one more person died at my mind's hands... It's better this way. Quick. Clean. Final. I love you, Rachel. I love you too, mom. A part of me will always be with you.~

With that she expelled Alex's mind back into Rachel's and gave the mental command for her body to shut down, but unlike before not enter a hibernation state, but a final death one. With no more controlling biochemistry being dispersed through her body soon her heart stopped to beat and her lungs drew their last breath as no more impulses were sent to move the diaphragm muscle or stimulate the heart's sinoatrial node. Yet, as her mind began to shut off as well, a part of her sought for forgiveness and still wanted to keep itself alive, slowing down the process of final brain death.

(( OOC - Here it goes!!!!! Sorry for the long post!! ))

********************************************************

Delen arrived in the recovery room 2 just in time to be overwhelmed by a myriad of conflicting feelings that seemed to be coming from the patient. She came closer and saw the eye moment typical of REM sleep. The feelings started to get stronger, so as a way to protect herself, she fell back and stood beside Gus by the now closed door of the room. "Are you... feeling this too?" She asked to Gus, not knowing if she was the only one sensing that.

When the words pierced her mind, she didn't know how to react, but seeing the reactions of the two other people in the room, she knew she wasn't hearing things. It was real. Then the equipment around the bed started to scream all kinds of noise in all kinds of volume. "This can't be good!!" She said startled by the noise she knew was about to come anyway.

Delen didn't know if the Tau'ri respected euthanasia as much as the Arans did. So she waited for Gus's reaction as a doctor to mirror it as a pain filled her heart. It's always sad when a patient dies, worse when they choose to die and even more terrible when they outright kill themselves.

Delen Treisa - Aran Refugee
                            Last edited by Atlantean_Fan; 14 September 2008, 06:16 PM.
                            Awesome sig made by *E*K*R*. Thanks!!!!!

Comment

[Recovery Room 2]

Gus aknowledged the Aran woman with a small nod as she entered the room. He wondered briefly why she was still around, but decided not to comment. Actually, her presence for the moment was turning out to be a good thing. It never hurt to have an extra set of hands around the infirmary, especially set of experienced hands. "Yeah, and I don't like it." He confirmed Delen's worries, as a sudden since of dread started to wash over him.

The doctor thought he heard a small voice at the back of his mind. A voice that sounded strangely like the Captain. But Nat was still in a como, not moving, except for her eyes. Was this what it was like to experience an empathic connection, so up close and personal? His mind focused on the words that she was saying. And suddenly, something clicked. He had more of a complete picture than ever about what was really going on. Don't you dare do it, Nat! As much as I wish he wasn't, Steven's still alive. You haven't killed anyone. And you're not going to. It's not in your nature, if it was, you wouldn't be here. We'll work with you. I'll work with you. We'll bring Amanda in on it, your team mates. You'll learn to control it, and we will all help you along the way. You're too important, too valuable to the Stargate Program to give up now. He screamed in his mind, willing the part of the Captain's conciousness talking to him to not give up.

But it was too late, the machines started to scream and whistle, sending out alarms to every part of the infirmary that the patient they were connected to was crashing hard and fast. "######! Don't do this Nat!" The CMO shouted at the dying body on the bed, already starting to jump into action. Gus had never had to think to implement ACLS procedures, it came more or less natuarally, but this was one time, when he wished he knew a little more about the full extent of his patient's condition. "Delen, I'm going to need your help in here! If you know CPR, breathing, cardio, resusciatation, now's the time. Rachael, I'm going to have to ask you to wait out in the hall while we get this fixed." The CMO's voice was raised slightly to speak over the alarms on the machines, but it remained calm. He placed a firm hand on the engineer's shoulder, helping her to her feet and guiding her with a small push toward the doorway, not roughly, but enough to let the woman know that she needed to act now.

Pushing the intercom on the wall by the door, he spoke calmly over the infirmary's loudspeaker. "This is Dr. Aaronson. I need Dr. Svensson, and any other available medical personnel to report to recovery 2, STAT."

He flipped a switch on the nearest machine to turn the annoying alarms off, then grabbed the portable defibrillator from the bottom shelf of one of the other carts. He then focused his full attention on the patient in front of him. Hopefully, the Arans medical training was similar enough to the training on Earth, that Delen would be able to figure out how best to help him without Gus needing to explain things along the way.

Dear Journal

Comment

>> from the Hangar bay >>

Carrie nudged the sleeve of Tim’s shirt as they stepped out of the elevator.
                                “Can I ask you for a favor?”
                                Tim gave a brief nod and watched as the orderly continued in to the Med bay with Ryn. “Sure, what is it doc?”
                                “I’m guessing that you’re officially off duty, but with the staff situation down here…” Her voice trailed off for a second before taking another breath “But, do you think you could help us out a little while longer? I need someone to start cleaning Ryn’s wounds ASAP, God only knows how much dirt and other nasty stuff that might thrive there, I need to check her medical file on her before I do anything… and get some equipment ready. The latter is usually something the nurses do, but well, as you know… we’re a bit short of nurses at the moment.”

Tim sighed, but nodded. “So it’s just the cleaning-up-stuff?”
                                “Yes, and I promise I’ll be back as soon as I can, I’ll be at the nurses’ station…”
                                “Okay, guess 10 or 15 minutes more down here wont matter. I’ll get right on with it.”
                                Carrie gave him a big smile “Thank you! I owe you one!” and then hurried away across the room, slumped down in front of one of the computers and logged on. Treating someone with a AU-origin definitely needed some checking before getting in to action

"This is Dr. Aaronson. I need Dr. Svensson, and any other available medical personnel to report to recovery 2, STAT."
                                Carrie exchanged a wide eyed look with Sam as the intercom cracked to life and, after a giving the computer a short command to log out, they ran towards the recovery room, taking the short cut through the staff lounge.

‘Yep, you certainly owe me big time doc’ he looked at his watch as he walked in to the Med bay, grabbing what he needed to perform the task on different shelves, figuring that with at least 3 staff members in the recovery room and probably one or two more of the staff responding, there was no real need for him to run there too. ‘On duty for what? 30 hours and counting? I’ll live, been through worse, at least I had some sleep. Just suck it up and get on with it Foster. That’s the only way to deal with it’

He walked over to Ryn’s bed and started to unload the things he had in his arms on the night stand, offering her a grin.
                                “Hey, the doc said she wanted to me to clean those wounds before she comes back, so let’s get what still remains of that sweater off you and…” he tossed a gown on the bed next to Ryn “into one of the always very appreciated gowns…I’m sorry…”

Last edited by Northern Girl; 08 September 2008, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X