No announcement yet.

Mess Hall / Commissary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp and Thor exited the elevator and headed toward the sound of hustle and bustle that has already grown in the mess hall.

'I wonder how many airmen are going to choke on their toast when they see an Asgard eating at the table next to them.' He smiled at the mental images of people spitting up their meals at the sight of the little gray man. 'Some of these guys act like they've never seen an alien before!'

As they entered the mess the aroma of pancakes, bacon and, 'ugh,', coffee, surrounded them. Sharp opted for the hash-browns with a side of bacon and french toast, along with a chocolate milk, whilst Thor seemed content with his little cubes.

"So, commander, fancy any bacon?"
    He asked, as they had sat down at a four person table, expecting to leave a space for the general.

"I would prefer not to Colonel, my vitamins provide me with the precisely optimum amount of substances."

"Precisely?"

"Yes."

"Well, how do you know?"

"I know what exercise I have preformed, and what substances have been consumed, therefore I know the amount I require.
    "

"I-" It seemed as though any option would make him appear dumb, so he stuck to silence. 'Wow, my stomach only tells me two things; hungry and thirsty. Talk about intelligence! Even their stomachs are smart!'
    sigpic
    Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

((( It's been a while since my last post so I will pick it up here)))

Michael stood patiently in the food line, counting the people in front of him and cross referencing that number with the number of strips of bacon left to see if he would get the next, hotter, crispier batch. Assuming everyone takes two strips, darn! I will get stuck with the last of this batch!
      Looking behind him, Michael saw an unassuming airman Scooping eggs onto his plate. "Airman, take my place in line"

The confused Airman looked at Michael with the oddest of glares, " No thank you sir, I am in no hurry"

Changing his demeanor Michael looked sternly into the Airman's eyes and in a deep but steady voice replied " I can make that an order"

The Airman huffed to himself and relented, passing behind Michael as the line nudged forward until the room grew silent and the airman paused his movement. More interested in the bacon, Michael turn to see what was holding up the line and noticed an unbelievable sight. A gray thing, no more than 3 feet tall strutted into the mess along with Colonel Sharp. Some of the more experienced personnel shrugged the sight off as commonplace but Michael could not take his eyes off of the first true alien he had encountered. As the line moved forward and a fresh batch of bacon was delivered Michael passed right by it. He was now more interested in the empty seat at the Colonel's table. With only eggs, toast, and a native fruit drink, Michael calmly walked to the table and stood at the Colonels side, "Excuse me sir, is that seat taken?"

Comment

"Ah, I see. That does make sense, then." Williams smiled. He continued eating and thought about her next question. "Oh, yes," David nodded. "Even though it is a more, um, private affair. The only visible, public part of it though is the Saturday market, it adjusts its decorations (there's also some throughout the city, put up by the council, I could tell you stories about the politics there, oh ye gods!). Um, the market, it's on for two to three days instead of just one, and the shops equally adjust their specials. Like Jack's bar has specials that are Thanksgiving-themed. The aliens living among us are more... outgoing with their celebrations, though." He remembered the mayor and the sheriff had had to intervene last year, the local moonshine had really been in abundance then, causing tempers to rise and hidden, interpersonal annoyances became, well, visible. Ever since, the Sheriff had tried to be more vigilant with known alcohol abusers. There'd been no incidents this year, so David suspected the issue had been adressed diligantly.

He decided to address her earlier question too, after a pause.
        "Major - I suspect you think I have forgotten about your offer. I have not. I am mulling it over while I try to get to know you, that's why I asked you those questions. Also - to continue with our other subject - I have not returned to the base by choice. I needed to be treated here for a medical condition. They have cured me - but I am not sure that I would pass a fitness exam should I take your fifth. Do you see my dilemma ?" He smiled again, watching her. David knew it was a lot to take in, and he was focused enough on her that he failed to see the Asgard waltzing in, accompanied by Col. Sharp.

Comment

Ryn however had not failed to see it. Her eyes blinked happily at the sight of aliens! And more over, good aliens! The Asgard sure made a nice change in the scenery. And she was proud of her composure, where others did indeed nearly choke in their food. She looked up as a shadow fell over her second plate (which was by now half full). It was a lieutenant, so she had no choice but to agree to his request.

"Not at all, sir, please, sit." She smiled at him and continued eating heartily. Was she hungry or was the food just tasting that good ? Belatedly she realised the formality of the request. Oh, had she been supposed to salute or anything ? But this was a more informal setting, and she hadn't seen any other enlisted salute officers here. So Ryn shrugged to herself, and just kept eating, hoping she wasn't breaking any rules she didn't know about. Tilting her head toward the Asgard, she looked up at the Lieutenant. "Did you ever meet any of those, sir ?" Ack...speaking before spoken to. That sure *might* land her in trouble, especially if the officer was one of the conceited kind.

Comment

Jennifer took another bite of her steak. She was chewing it rather nom-challantly, ocassionaly pinchyng a potatoe, adding it up to the 'mixture'. What didn't escape to her senses was the fact the Mess hall was beginning to teem with life, and it was kind of logical, if she considered the time.

'Morning, of course. Everyone who can will come for their bit of meal', She thought, piercing another bit of steak with her fork. Raising it up from the platter, she stared at it for a while. Her face turned into indifferent grimmace, before she took even that bit. Raising her head, she noticed the new arrivals - One of them was apparently Colonel, then there was one female with red hair, a marine. She seemed very tall. Jennifer's eyes peered over the room, noticing an alien. She has heard of them. An Asgard. It seems he was accompanying that Colonel. An eyebrow above Jennifer's right eye quirked.

'Curious'.

She turned her attention back to her meal. At one side, she felt like being the stranger on the base, but at other side? She was glad nobody disturbed her quiet meal. If it only could be called quiet, with all these people around. She didn't intend to socialize. Not at all.

"Not in mood for that, considering latest events.", she mumbled as if she was speaking to her meal, and took another bit of her steak, followed by rather long sip of her coffee.

Cpt. Jennifer J. Firali
            (soon to be host to Tok'ra Teal'auc )
            Member of SG-Aftermath RP group

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn View Post
              Spoiler:
              Ryn however had not failed to see it. Her eyes blinked happily at the sight of aliens! And more over, good aliens! The Asgard sure made a nice change in the scenery. And she was proud of her composure, where others did indeed nearly choke in their food. She looked up as a shadow fell over her second plate (which was by now half full). It was a lieutenant, so she had no choice but to agree to his request.

"Not at all, sir, please, sit." She smiled at him and continued eating heartily. Was she hungry or was the food just tasting that good ? Belatedly she realised the formality of the request. Oh, had she been supposed to salute or anything ? But this was a more informal setting, and she hadn't seen any other enlisted salute officers here. So Ryn shrugged to herself, and just kept eating, hoping she wasn't breaking any rules she didn't know about. Tilting her head toward the Asgard, she looked up at the Lieutenant. "Did you ever meet any of those, sir ?" Ack...speaking before spoken to. That sure *might* land her in trouble, especially if the officer was one of the conceited kind.
              He set his tray down and took a seat across from the other marine--almost too quickly--thankful to finally be done with the balancing act; with that emotion, he subconsciously rubbed at his bandages. He'd be more thankful when he could take the blasted things off. "Lieutenant Hughes, by the way. Weapons expert, SG-5."

He failed to notice the alien as he attacked the plate's contents, stabbing his fork into the rather large pile of food. Until, of course, his companion spoke up. "What? Oh, you mean the Asgard?" He shook his head. "I haven't. Met them, that is."

Comment

From the way he seemed to favour the arms - and the bandages peeking out from under the sleeves - Ryn was almost afraid to offer a handshake. But she did so because if she didn't, it might be considered rude.

"Hi. Ryn Chikozu. And you already know my rank. I'm with SG-3, guess you could call me its cannon fodder." Her smile and somewhat evil glint in the eye did indicate she was joking, although her slightly bruised face might give away the truthfulness of that statement. Ryn knew full well her worth on a team, she was usually part of the assault and defense force.

Comment

Sharp looked up as he finished swallowing the delicious french toast. 'Henry sure went all out this morning!'

He didn't immediately recognize the face of the man, nor his name; which was odd for Sharp. 'Thompson, Thompson, Thompson...jesus, where did I hear that name?'

Sharp smiled kindly, making no indication that he couldn't exactly remember the man.

"Sorry Leiutenant, we're expecting to have General Blue down in a little bit, we just," He tried to think of the correct phrase, "Have a couple of things to discuss."

Now he remembered! 'Thompson- I got a memo about that! Used to be stationed in Riverton.'

He shrugged and grinned. "But where are my manners! Lieutenant Thompson, meet Commander Thor, Commander, meet Leiutenant Michael Thompson."

"Pleased to meet you, lieutenant."
                  sigpic
                  Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Hughes returned the handshake, his grip firm despite the nagging injury.

"Cannon fodder, you say? He raised an eyebrow. "Guess we both better hope the enemy subscribes to the Principle of Evil Marksmanship." He indicated his bandaged arms with a sheepish smile. "Ran into an explosion."

((My new computer just arrived, so I'm off for a while, I think.))

Comment

"I meant it as a joke, sir," Ryn said, trying to explain about the cannon fodder. The firmness of the 'shake came as no surprise. He was a marine after all, they were tougher than the rest. Or should be. But it also seemed he was the one that owed her an explanation.

"I don't think I'm familiar with that Principle. An explosion ? You're lucky it wasn't a live one..." If it had, he'd not be sitting here, she assumed. Training mission, probably. SG-5, SG-5, where had she heard that before ? Oh! She snapped a finger, remembering. "Oh ! I met your CO yesterday. Major Stevens. She seems nice, how'd she take you getting blown up ? Or was it intended, a part of her evil masterplan ?" Always good to get a little intrateam-gossip, Ryn thought, smiling to herself.

Comment

Spoiler:
                        "Ah, I see. That does make sense, then." Williams smiled. He continued eating and thought about her next question. "Oh, yes," David nodded. "Even though it is a more, um, private affair. The only visible, public part of it though is the Saturday market, it adjusts its decorations (there's also some throughout the city, put up by the council, I could tell you stories about the politics there, oh ye gods!). Um, the market, it's on for two to three days instead of just one, and the shops equally adjust their specials. Like Jack's bar has specials that are Thanksgiving-themed. The aliens living among us are more... outgoing with their celebrations, though." He remembered the mayor and the sheriff had had to intervene last year, the local moonshine had really been in abundance then, causing tempers to rise and hidden, interpersonal annoyances became, well, visible. Ever since, the Sheriff had tried to be more vigilant with known alcohol abusers. There'd been no incidents this year, so David suspected the issue had been adressed diligantly.

He decided to address her earlier question too, after a pause.
                        "Major - I suspect you think I have forgotten about your offer. I have not. I am mulling it over while I try to get to know you, that's why I asked you those questions. Also - to continue with our other subject - I have not returned to the base by choice. I needed to be treated here for a medical condition. They have cured me - but I am not sure that I would pass a fitness exam should I take your fifth. Do you see my dilemma ?" He smiled again, watching her. David knew it was a lot to take in, and he was focused enough on her that he failed to see the Asgard waltzing in, accompanied by Col. Sharp.
                        Jen considered what Doctor Williams had just told her. He'd given her a little more information than she'd asked, and not quite what she'd asked."I was more interested if the autumnal equinox had passed this year yet or not, but that's neither here not there."

Medically unfit? She knew it was possible, depending on what had felled him. But the human body could recover from a lot, and hers wasn't a combat or search-and-rescue. They were general first contact, primarily withdrawing from open hostility. "If you don't me asking, Doctor, tell me it's none of my business if you want, but what was your illness?"

"Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
                        " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
                        Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Spoiler:
                          "I meant it as a joke, sir," Ryn said, trying to explain about the cannon fodder. The firmness of the 'shake came as no surprise. He was a marine after all, they were tougher than the rest. Or should be. But it also seemed he was the one that owed her an explanation.

"I don't think I'm familiar with that Principle. An explosion ? You're lucky it wasn't a live one..." If it had, he'd not be sitting here, she assumed. Training mission, probably. SG-5, SG-5, where had she heard that before ? Oh! She snapped a finger, remembering. "Oh ! I met your CO yesterday. Major Stevens. She seems nice, how'd she take you getting blown up ? Or was it intended, a part of her evil masterplan ?" Always good to get a little intrateam-gossip, Ryn thought, smiling to herself.
                          "I suspected as much," Hughes replied. His friends had often said that his humor could be very subtle and that appeared to be the case here. Perhaps if he explained the Principle of Evil Marksman. "You know, the Stormtrooper Effect. When it comes to the heroes, the villains are always terrible shots."

"It was a live explosion, actually. And Major Stevens took it surprisingly well, all things considered. Better than I did, at least."

Comment

>> From Quarters >>

As soon as Gus left the elevator, the hustle and bustle from a the crowd in the mess hall reached his ears and he groaned under his breath, “…and I thought I was up early…”
                            With a sigh he entered the room, grabbed a tray and got over to the food line.
                            He let his eyes sweep over the room as he advanced in the line, smiling as he saw a lot of familiar faces, ‘David talking to Jennifer, Ryn looking good having a conversation with… Robert, right. He looks better then yesterday too for that matter.’

Gus raised an eyebrow, ‘So the Asgard decided to spend the night here uh? I do hope that Chris doesn’t try to offer him any of our bacon, I’m not that good at Asgard physiology.’
                            With a plate of scrambled eggs, two bread rolls and a large cup of tea, Gus left the food line and in search for a place to take in his meal, preferably some place not too laud… or too close to the center.
                            No matter how much he liked to talk and be social, even he had his limits at this time of the day.

He noted a familiar red head in the back of the room and frowned, the composure clearly saying “Stay away” but he chose to ignore it this time and walked over to stand in front of the captain, “Good morning Jennifer, mind if I sit down here in the quiet corner with you?”
                            Gus looked around in the room before letting his gaze get back to her, “It’s way to noisy elsewhere…”

Last edited by Northern Girl; 28 July 2009, 12:30 AM.

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence"

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              "I suspected as much," Hughes replied. His friends had often said that his humor could be very subtle and that appeared to be the case here. Perhaps if he explained the Principle of Evil Marksman. "You know, the Stormtrooper Effect. When it comes to the heroes, the villains are always terrible shots."

"It was a live explosion, actually. And Major Stevens took it surprisingly well, all things considered. Better than I did, at least."

"Stormtrooper...." Ryn repeated slowly, not recognizing the word. Was this another cultural, reality difference ? Either way, she understood now what he'd meant. "OK. Yeah, I get it now, it's funny. A bit."

The next bit was somewhat of a revelation. "A live one?! Gee. What were you guys doin' that needed blowin' up ?"

Comment

Jennifer was staring at small piece of her steak pinched on her fork, her face having rather solemn expression. Her mind was drifting from the very moment she woke up, but then, something, no, someone pulled her away from her mediocrity. A male voice forced her to raise her head and look, who was person, who breached her privacy.

Jennifer glared at man standing in front of her for a bit, she knew the men, if only briefly. His name was Gus Aaronson, an Air Force Major. However, that statement was a bit inaccurate, as he was residing Chief Medical Officer, rather than military man. Jennifer realized that man was still standing here, waiting for her answer.

'How rude of me', she scolded herself in her thoughts.

"I am - ", She cleared her throat and decided to not say anything on her lack of swift response.

"Major Aaronson, please sit down. This place is indeed rather noisy this morning." Jennifer said with rather neutral voice. She nodded her head, pointing towards unoccupied chair by her table.

Cpt. Jennifer J. Firali
                                (soon to be host to Tok'ra Teal'auc )
                                Member of SG-Aftermath RP group

Comment

Working...
                                X