Mess Hall / Commissary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<From Control Room>

Oof. It sure was late, or early depending on how you looked at it. One thing was for sure however, the belly demanded food, and Devin wasn't exactly going to say no to it. Picking a tray up, Devin picked out of all things a bowl of oatmeal and some coffee. The headache's gonna be a b**** in a little bit, but it'll be worth it. He blinked his heavy eyelids, all his energy had been expended in that bit in the Control Room. In his sleepy stupor, Devin sat in one of the only seats available, one right next to Kylie and promptly fell face first into his oatmeal, the lack of sleep from last night catching up to him.

Comment

Before Astra could respond to Kylie's latest comment they were interrupted by Devin joining the two of them at the table. Kylie smiled at the man. "Good morning Dev.....Devin?!" The linguist gasped as the scientist took a nose dive into his oatmeal. The poor guy must have been thoroughly exhausted, at least she hoped that's all that had happened, and that something wasn't terribly wrong.

Kylie gently coaxed Devin's face out the bowl of oatmeal, and used a nearby napkin to help wipe some of the sticky residue off his face. She had to fight a laugh at the goofy look that Devin gave her at her actions. She studied him carefully for a few seconds to assure herself that it was simply fatigue bothering Devin, and nothing more. "You didn't sleep last night, did you?" The question was a retorical one, but half expected Devin to answer anyway.

She eyed the coffee on Devin's tray, and with a quick movement, pulled the coffee over to her side of the table. "I don't think that this is such a great idea. No coffee until you have at least made an effort to get some extra sleep. Go on back to bed and grab a few hours sleep. We can talk later, after you're a little more rested." She gave the scientist a serious look. "And if you don't go on your own, then I'm sure I can convince Jaa'nik to get you to your quarters. I'm sure that she would rather have a rested host, than one who might fall asleep on his feet at any second."

Dear Journal
      My contribution to the Stargate Rewatch experience. Will be updated nearly everyday, and will cover all episodes, and characters.

Comment

"I dun wanna go ta school." Devin mumbled. "Jus' a few more minutes please?" He lay his head back down on the table, this time managing to miss the oatmeal. Devin didn't want to move from his spot, he was around Kylie and food, the two best things on the base.

Comment

Kylie smiled almost apologetically at Astra. While gently massaging the back of Devin's neck in an effort to wake him up enough so that he could make it to his quarters before falling asleep. Passing into the land of dreams and bliss was not the prefered activity in the mess hall. "Come on, Devin. You just have to wake up enough to make it to your room, then you can sleep some more. I would offer to carry you there myself, but I doubt that I'd be able to lift you even without a broken leg." Kylie joked as she pictured the impossible task in her mind.

She smiled to hersef as she then imagined a young Devin trying to talk his mom into letting him stay home from school. Somehow, she had always that Devin had been the one in a million child that actually liked going to school. She continued to massage his neck as she waited for him to wake up the rest of the way, or at least part of the way, enough that he could at least walk to a place that was better suited for napping.

((Think we shoud wait here for SG78 to catch up, since she's also at the table))
          Dear Journal
          My contribution to the Stargate Rewatch experience. Will be updated nearly everyday, and will cover all episodes, and characters.

Comment

Devin stirred, blinked his eyes a couple of times and mumbled, "Did I ever tell you that that clone of yours looks really nice right now?" After taking a few bites of his oatmeal, Devin left the tray there and ambled off toward the elevator and his quarters.

<To Quarters>

((Agreed, I also happen to have to go to sleep now.))

Comment

Astra was about to reply when Devin walked in. He looked like a zombie to Astra and she sympathised with the other scientist.

'It's probbably what I looked like yesterday,' she thought.

Devin came over and joined them and Astra was about to say hi when the young man fell face first into his oatmeal. She then heard Kylie's worried voice trying to wake him and threatening to carry him back to his quarters.

'Uh, so not a good idea Kylie for the doctors would kill you or worse yet, shoot me for allowing it to happen. They'd probaly stab me with their very big needles before hand,' Astra thought alarmed.

Then just as quickly as it happened, the young man left. Astra shook her head and then realised that Kylie had mentioned something about Host and a name, Jaa'nik.

"Devin is a Host to Tok'Ra?" Astra questioned curiously once Devin had left.

"I'll let you know when I go to the shooting range. You can tell me how bad I am or how to improve. Do they have an archery range or something like that where I can practice? That would probably be a good idea as something for me to do outside of work."Astra mused.

"That biorhythms theory sounds like some math thing Charlie Eppes from Numb3rs would come up with, Kylie. The only reason we are all in here right now as because our stomach is telling us we need to eat."

"The only reason I used microwave dinners as I'd forget something was on the stove or in the oven. If it wasn't microwaved food you oculd just heat up. Brian would cook big meals and we'd freeze them and use them as left overs. The kids you used to love it when Dad cooked, as they didn't have to worry about being poisoned from Mum," Astra said grinning.

"You know I probably took advantage of you and Daniel waiting on me when I had my crutches. Stupid thing really, I wasn't watching where I was going while off world and it landed me in cructches," Astra replied, pulling a face.

"What do you mean you're used to crutches? How many broken bones have you had? I used to get hurt when playing footy and cricket out the back with my brothers, but nothing that would require crutches as they know the old man would have punished them for it," Astra said concerned.
              sigpic
              Thanks to Jumble for the icon and siggy.
              My ff.net My Own Website

Comment

[ Dr. James Parkers - Mess ]

James was only half listening to the conversation between Claire and Vincent, he noted that it was a private conversation and sipped at his tea whilst staring at his plate. He shook his head at Tim when he offered after anything.
                Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
                LOVE HIM-> DT
                ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

Lance smiled at Kim after she replied. "Sleep would be wonderful, but I figured the trek to Foreston would be better if I had a full stomach, and I'd rather have more free time in town then sleeping on base." He drank some more of his coffee and polished off some of his bacon, then glanced over to the mess line. Apparently Swanson had spoken to his crew, as there wasn't any obvious gesturing and commenting, though he did see a knowing smile from the guy who always hooked up Hutchinson with the good coffee.... Lindbergh, wasn't it?

Turning back to Kim, he spoke again. "Looks like the mess crew had a small talking to from Swanson, or they're at least being smart enough not to be too obvious about things. But you say it's got a small-town feel? That usually means some darn good cooking, and the shops could be interesting. It'd be nice to give my quarters some color. I guess after breakfast I'll change into my civilian gear and meet you at your quarters?" He looked into her eyes and smiled. "Oh, one last question, where do we draw our pay? I assume they'll take some kind of military scrip as currency?"

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

Comment

Originally posted by Vampyr View Post
                    Devin stirred, blinked his eyes a couple of times and mumbled, "Did I ever tell you that that clone of yours looks really nice right now?" After taking a few bites of his oatmeal, Devin left the tray there and ambled off toward the elevator and his quarters.
                    Kylie blinked at Devin's odd comment. Rule number one, when you're so tired that you don't make any sense at all when you talk, it's time to get some sleep. So far, this was turning out to be a very interesting relationship, and she was enjoying every minute of it. She watched worriedly as he finally rose from the table and staggered away, hopefully he was going to get some rest, but in his state of mind, she had no idea where he was going. She shook her head to herself, and smiled, as she noticed the SF who had helped her carry her tray to the table rise from his seat and follow Devin out the door. She wasn't entirely sure that the timing of his departure was coincidental. Could it be that someone on the base was actually looking out for her and Devin? She knew it was a long shot, but he was following the exhausted scientist. He probably just didn't want a confussed smart guy with a 'snake' in his head roaming around the base. That's how most people would have reacted anyway.

Originally posted by Stargate78fan View Post
                    "Devin is a Host to Tok'Ra?" Astra questioned curiously once Devin had left.

"I'll let you know when I go to the shooting range. You can tell me how bad I am or how to improve. Do they have an archery range or something like that where I can practice? That would probably be a good idea as something for me to do outside of work."Astra mused.

"That biorhythms theory sounds like some math thing Charlie Eppes from Numb3rs would come up with, Kylie. The only reason we are all in here right now as because our stomach is telling us we need to eat."

"The only reason I used microwave dinners as I'd forget something was on the stove or in the oven. If it wasn't microwaved food you oculd just heat up. Brian would cook big meals and we'd freeze them and use them as left overs. The kids you used to love it when Dad cooked, as they didn't have to worry about being poisoned from Mum," Astra said grinning.

"You know I probably took advantage of you and Daniel waiting on me when I had my crutches. Stupid thing really, I wasn't watching where I was going while off world and it landed me in cructches," Astra replied, pulling a face.

"What do you mean you're used to crutches? How many broken bones have you had? I used to get hurt when playing footy and cricket out the back with my brothers, but nothing that would require crutches as they know the old man would have punished them for it," Astra said concerned.
                    Kylie shifted in her seat as she realized that she had unintentionally revealed something about Devin when she had made the casual comment about Jaa'nik. But she smiled knowing that Astra would be entirely accepting of the situation, albeit a little bit suprised. "Yes. He's a Tok'ra. And I think that for the most part I'm getting along with Jaa'nik just fine. She's agreed to think of me as a friend, and stays quiet for the most part, so it's not really such a bad thing."

Kylie thought for a minute. "There's probably a way to convert part of the shooting range so that it becomes more adaptable for archery. I never really looked into it to be honest. I only ever really use the range when I have to anyway, so I don't how much good I'll be in offering you advice."

"Yeah, well, like I said, it's only a theory, and I wasn't the author of it. But yeah, it sound a little Eppesish doesn't it? Again, not my fault." She smiled slightly at the comparison.

Kylie was glad that Astra was able to talk so openly about her family now. She had come a long way in the past 6 months. She smiled encouragingly as she listened to the linguist talk about her late husband and kids. She chose not to expand on the issue any more, however, and instead moved on to the next thing that Astra had mentioned.

"Daniel and I were happy to help. It's what geeks are suppose to do. We look out for each other." She tried to reassure the other woman.

Kylie finsihed off the last of her eggs and toast before answering Astra's last question about the crutches, she had to be carefull about what she said, not wanting to reveal too much about her troubled past. "I've been told that I was an accident prone child. Fell down the stairs a couple of times, that sort of thing. It really wasn't that many times, but it only takes one or two to get use to crutches." She tried to glaze over the issue and move onto a new topic. She knew that she had repeated the cover story that she had used so often as a child, and that she only fell when she was pushed. She also made the mental conversion from one or two to one or two dozen broken bones in her lifetime.

"So, did you find anything else on the translation after I went to bed?" She attempted to turn the tide of their conversation away from her and back to the safest topic that she knew, work.

Dear Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SilverRider View Post
                      Claire looked at him with a studied gaze, "I guess you are in the same boat as me," she managed a small smile. "This is my first and I'm learning the twists and turns."

"I don't think I even want to deal with it at the moment," she told him softly, knowing she didn't have to spell it out. He had eyes and ears, he saw what had happened.

Hearing him ask about Foreston, she gave a dry chuckle, "Oh it's small, quiet and warm as long as you don't broadcast that your military. You should be fine."

Looking over to Kim and Lance she rolled her eyes, "I though both would have taken the advantage of a sleepy base and slipped out. Guess they both slept in," she mused as she brought her cup to her lips.
                      Lt. Vincent Valentine

Vincent's smile once again became forced,

"Doesn't get any easier, not that it's any consolation."
                      he muttered, half to himself. Then kept with the change.

"Don't blame Lance for sleeping in, after what happened in the Quarter hallways. I doubt he slept much before I turned in, and that was late enough. Though I'm still used to waking up at dawn." He glanced over to the couple, "They do make a good couple though, not that I can claim to know either well."

Looking over to them again Vincent smiled slightly, he already considered Lance a friend, not bad for less than a week on base.

"I once thought it better to be right
                      But now I have finally seen the light
                      Sometimes you've got to be wrong and learn from mistakes
                      I live with serenity now, not self righteous hate.

- Dream Theater, Shattered Frotress

Gateworld RP: Aftermath
                      Update Thread

Spoiler:

Main Characters

Ray's sig made by Shelly, Vince's, House's and Li's modelled on her good work.

Looking after

For Xym, and so I have a place I can take the siggy code from!

Non-bio'd NPC Characters

Comment

Kim looked at him with interest when she found him looking back at the mess line, getting some idea of what he was thinking she shook her head and sipped her coffee. "If sleep was like drinking water, I'll curled up on my bed all the time." realizing she had put her foot in her mouth, Kim went on to pay attention to her food. "Uh...well...Uh ....you know."

She shoved the pancakes into her mouth before she started to sound like a idiot. Having putting her foot in her mouth for the first time in a while made her squirm. She hoped he didn't pick on that. If he did well...tough luck to her then.

Hearing him talk about the mess crew behavior she coughed hard on her food. Henry's byplays was entertaining, picking up her coffee, she drank, till the heaviness on her chest settled, "That or they are just behaving since the mess is crowded. It wouldn't surprise me if they went back to their old habits" she chuckled.

Remembering what Bellano had done yesterday, she decided to play safe, "Sure," she then looked at her own clothes, then looked around feeling a bit out of place she wiggled in her seat, "I just gotta pick up my gear. If I meet you up at hanger, I'm more likely to give into the urge zatting Ray."

"I remember hearing from Davis that that they use Military scrips as a method of payment. So I that cover that. As the currency won't do."

Comment

Lance half smiled as she spoke, forcing himself not to quip any one-liners at her sleep comment. He didn't want to say anything that could be misconstrued as ungentlemanly. "I don't know... I think you've got Bellano seriously worried about what you'll do to him, and that's enough to get Swanson to fall in line from what I've heard." He winked and broadened his smile.

After she indicated her preference for meeting at her room, he spoke again. "Like I said, I'll need to change as well, I don't want to be sporting BDU's in town. Where do I go to draw my back pay as scrip? I really don't want to be leeching off of you, especially on the first date, it just seems.... uncivilized." He smiled his most charming smile as he looked into her eyes.

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

Comment

Claire nodded to his words, with a expressionless face. If the hard part was yet to come, she had no way of dealing with it. Not knowing what to expect, she picked up her coffee and sipped.

Knowing her team would help out, she sighed at that. She didn't want to drag everyone into her troubles, since they were a bit personal. Mission wise it was different, they were all in it together.

Her eyes flickered towards McKinnon and Ashwood, when Vincent spoke in Lance's defense, "I guess we all were dead on our feet," she commented as her lips twitched., "But yea they do make a one heck of couple. Nice combination of their personalties too." A wisea$$ major and a pretty blond, green eyed, a tough 2IC of the flagship team, made a interesting duo. She snorted with gratification.

His hallway talk gave the reminder of the gun shot that she had heard, "Your not talking about the gun shot situation are you?" If that was the case not wonder his earlier question about her being safe came other. She cringed but made no further comment.

Comment

(( aww no one liners??? ))

She couldn't help it, at his explanation regarding Bellano, she grinned, "I have? Well that's good. That will keep his humor and ego in check," she told as her eyes twinkled, "And maybe next he will behave."

Leaning on the table she looked at him, "You might want to with the general's aide regarding the scrips. I have to collect some as well." picking up her coffee she polished it off, "I gotta go and wake Whitely up, as well, " So see you in say about 30 - 40 minutes?" she asked. That should give them plenty of time to get everything in order.

Comment

Tim took another sip of his juice and looked in the way Lt Davies has indicated; he’d kept a low profile during their previous talk about self confidence and “bumps and turns” in life, pretty sure he had nothing to add at the moment.
                                ‘So that’s what the captain meant.’ Tim smiled inwardly. ‘McKinnon is having a girl friend, and her to be Ashwood. Wow! Never thought that he would fall for a gil again, but you never know when love strikes do you?’ Then turned his attention towards Valentine before he was caught looking.
                                “Yes, tell me. What “Hallway incident? You’re serious, there where shooting? Inside of the base?” Tim almost dropped his glass in amazement.

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence"

Comment

Working...
                                X