This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Death in Sci-fi and Fantasy Tournament

There is one thing that movies and tv shows have to have in order to really show realism, death. Now I'm not talking Ensign "Red Shirt" Ricky not making it back with Spock and Kirk, I'm talking key characters, Jadzia Dax, Adric, Wash and Daniel Jackson. Important characters that the viewer gets used to having around when they are taken from us. This tourney is about the best send offs for characters in TV and Movies in both Sci-fi and Fantasy.

For those who do this a lot, you know the drill by now. If you're new, here's how the voting works:

Stage One: Round Zero, vote for your favorite character's deaths from sci-fi or fantasy and any characters that get 3 or more votes gets through into the next stage.

Stage Two: Vote off one death per day until we have a winner.

Note: If voting for a TV character, name the character AND the episode in which they died, so its easy for us to look up

You each have TEN votes each at this stage. Stargate deaths are not allowed.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Four Votes Per-Person Per-Round

Current List of Deaths

1. Aeryn Sun - Farscape - Die Me, Dichotomy
    2. Allen Francis Doyle - Angel- Hero
    3. Anakin Skywalker - Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    4. Buffy Summers - Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Gift
    5. Crais - Farscape – Into the Lion's Den, Part 2: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
    6. John Crichton - Infinite Possibilities, Pt 2: Icarus Abides
    7. Joyce Summers - Buffy the Vampire Slayer - I Was Made to Love You/The Body
    8. Londo and G'Kar - Babylon 5
    9. Obi Wan Kenobi – Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
    10. Spock - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Gone
    1. Tasha Yar – Star Trek: The Next Generation - Skin of Evil
    2. Doc Brown - Back to the Future Part III
    3. Anna Lucia- Lost - Two for the Road
    4. Mr. Eko - Lost (tie) R4
    5. Theo - Children of Men (tie) R4
    6. Ellen Ripley- Alien 3 (tie) R5
    7. Jasper- Children of Men (tie) R5
    8. Lois Lane - Superman (1978) (tie) R5
    9. Scooti - Doctor Who - The Impossible Planet (tie) R5
    10. Alderaan population - Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (tie) R6
    11. Mantrid- Lexx - End of the Universe (tie) R6
    12. Jerry - Enemy Mine
    13. Crow – Firefly – The Train Job
    14. Cedric Diggory - Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire (tie) R9
    15. Donald Gennaro – Jurassic Park (tie) R9
    16. Captain James T. Kirk - Star Trek: Generations (tie) R10
    17. Major Kong - Dr Strangelove (tie) R10
    18. Admiral Cain – Battlestar Galactica TNS - Resurrection Ship, Part II (tie) R11
    19. Smeagol (Gollum) – Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (tie) R11
    20. Kai Winn - Deep Space Nine - What You Leave Behind
    21. Ellen Tigh – Battlestar Galactica: TNS - Exodus part 2 (tie) R13
    22. Qui-Gon Jinn – Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (tie) R13
    23. Cordelia Chase – Angel - You're Welcome (tie) R14
    24. Mace Windu - Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith (tie) R14
    25. Tracy – Firefly - The Message (tie) R15
    26. The Wicked Witch of the East - The Wizard of Oz (tie) R15
    27. Adric- Doctor Who - Earthshock
    28. Blake, Soolin, Dayna, Tarrant, Vila and Avon - Blake's 7 - Blake (tie) R17
    29. Hudson – Aliens (tie) R17
    30. Jadzia Dax – Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (tie) R17
    31. The Witch King - The Return of the King
    32. Frank Poole - 2001: A Space Odyssey (tie) R19
    33. Fred - Angel - A Hole in the World (tie) R19
    34. James Cole - Twelve Monkeys (tie) R19
    35. Talyn - Farscape - Into the Lion's Den, Pt 2: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
    36. The Emperor – Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    37. Data - Star Trek: Nemesis
    38. Zhaan – Farscape - Self-Inflicted Wounds, Pt 2: Wait for the Wheel
    39. Captain Jack Harkness - Doctor Who - The Parting of the Ways
    40. Executive Officer Kane - Alien
    41. Gul Damar – Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - What You Leave Behind
    42. King Kong
    43. The Terminator - T2: Judgment Day
    44. Wash – Serenity
    45. Tara Maclay – Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Seeing Red
    46. Marcus - Babylon 5 - Endgame
    47. D'Argo - Farscape Peacekeeper Wars
    48. The Wicked Witch of the West - The Wizard of Oz
    49. Shepherd Book - Serenity
    50. Wesley – Angel - Not Fade Away
    51. HAL 9000 - 2001: A Space Odyssey
    52. Jenny Calendar- Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Passion
    53. Gandalf the Grey – Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    54. Boromir - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
    55. Darla - Angel - Lullaby
    Last edited by The Signal; 27 March 2007, 08:55 AM.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.

Comment

Round Zero

Wash - Serenity
      Joyce Summers - Buffy the Vampire Slayer - "I was made to love you/The Body"
      Fred - Angel - A Hole in the World
      Captain Jack Harkness - Doctor Who - The Parting of the Ways TORCHWOOD spoilers
      Spoiler:
      (I don't consider his deaths in Torchwood as deaths due to the fact that he literally cannot die

Comment

Y'know, this tourney could end up as a bit of a spoiler minefield...
        Gah! Stop editing the rules!!!

Round ZERO
        1. Wash - Serenity (2)
        2. Spock - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1)
        3. Lost spoilers -
        Spoiler:
        Eko - Lost, 'The Cost of Living' (1)
        Last edited by Naonak; 02 February 2007, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Sorry about the rule editing, twas mostly because I realised the sorts of deaths people would be posting, hence the spoiler tag rule, and because I rushed writing them and forgot a couple o' things

Comment

1. Wesley Wyndam Price; Angel; "Not Fade Away" (NEW)
            2. Fred; Angel; "A Hole In the World" (2)
            3. Crow; Firefly; "The Train Job" (NEW)
            4. Tracy; Firefly; "The Message" (NEW)

I think there's a theme here. Joss does death good.

Frak! Does the rule change mean that Crow from The Train Job doesn't count? Cause that's one of the best deaths ever IMO. Mainly because it says a lot about Mal.

Comment

As long as a character has had a major part in the episode, then its okay, i they are on screen for 20 seconds then they don't count.

Comment

Does Buffy stabbing Angel and sending him to a hell dimension in 'Becoming' count? 'Cos he didn't actually die, but still...

Comment

1) Wash - Serenity (3)
                  2) Joyce Summers - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (2)
                  3) Spock - Star Trek II (2)
                  4) Tara Maclay - Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Seeing Red" (1) (perhaps a controversial choice, but I maintain that, as with Wash's death, the very fact that so many people were angry about Tara's death proves its effectiveness)
                  5) Blake, Soolin, Dayna, Tarrant, Vila and Avon - Blake's 7, "Blake" (1)
                  6) Pavla - The Tomorrow People, "The Dirtiest Business" (1)
                  7) Gul Damar - Deep Space Nine, "What You Leave Behind" (1)
                  Last edited by Mr Prophet; 02 February 2007, 10:39 AM. Reason: to add numbers
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                    Does Buffy stabbing Angel and sending him to a hell dimension in 'Becoming' count? 'Cos he didn't actually die, but still...
                    Didn't die, so no, as much as it pains me to say it (brilliant scene)

Comment

1) Spock in "The Wrath of Khan" (3)
                      2) Frank in "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1)
                      3) Does HAL count? If so, (1)
                      4) "Jerry" in "Enemy Mine" (1)

I can't think of any more right now.....I'll have to get back to you.
                      Last edited by Callista; 02 February 2007, 10:51 AM.

Comment

1. Marcus - B5 (mostly for Claudia Christian's AMAZING post death scene)
                        2. Lando and G'Kar - B5 (for the ambiguity of it all, repeated multiple seasons)
                        3. The Bruce Willis character in 9 Monkeys (time travel , unique)
                        4. Weyoun - DS9 (when Worf snaps his neck unexpectedly)
                        5. The Bruce Willis character in Sixth Sense (SURPRISE!)
                        6. The Lawyer in Jurassic park (#2 was his last)
                        7. Anakin Skywalker - SW: ROTJ
                        8. Veddic Nurse Wratchet - DS9 (Finally!)

Comment

OH NO! There are a couple of deaths I haven't heard of or seen yet!

1. Joyce Summers - Buffy: The Vampire Slayer (3rd and through)
                          2. Gul Damar (2nd)
                          3. Londo and G'Kar (2nd)
                          4. Jerry "Enemy Mine" (2nd) Nice, Callista.

Signal, what is in that spoiler. Is it about Jack, Wash or Fred? NM, I can see it is Torchwood spoilers. DOH *headkeyboard*

ETA (again) : It's okay, I wasn't spoiled. I've seen all of Torchwood. I've still to see the final season of Angel (damn and blast frakkin' channel 5 for not showing the final season) and Serenity.
                          Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 02 February 2007, 11:43 AM.
                          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                            OH NO! There are a couple of deaths I haven't heard of or seen yet!
                            Hehe- I feel your pain, there are couple that have come up in shows I'm currently watching for the first time that I haven't seen yet.

But.....I just accept it as part of the tourny and won't read spoiler details on those ones.

Comment

Well I'm going to go to go with several Farscape deaths. These are all first votes.

Round 0

1) Aeryn Sun - Die Me, Dichotomy
                              2) Zhaan - Self-Inflicted Wounds, Pt 2: Wait For the Wheel
                              3) John Crichton - Infinite Possibilities, Pt 2: Icarus Abides
                              4) Talyn - Into The Lion's Den, Pt 2: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
                              5) Crais - Into The Lion's Den, Pt 2: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
                              6) D'Argo - Peacekeeper Wars mini series
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                              X