• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7. Korben Dallas (Fifth Element - Bruce Willis character) <-- NEW
    8. Superman <-- 3rd vote
    9. Barry Allen - The Flash (The Flash) <-- NEW
    sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

7. Miles O'Brien (ST: DS9) <==3rd vote (I think)
      8. Derrial Book (Firefly)<==2nd vote (I think...again)
      9. Gul Dukat (ST: DS9) - New

I think I'll save my last vote for now...gonna have to think some more

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
      Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
      Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Comment

I think we need a Hobbit in here somewhere

Comment

8. Vincent (Beauty and the Beast) <===== 3rd vote
          9. Frodo Baggins (Lord of the Rings) <===== NEW Thanks for the reminder kmiller1610
          10. Jeffrey Sinclair (Babylon 5) <===== 2nd vote
          -

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
            1. John Sheridan (Babylon 5) Through
            2. Captain Jean-Luc Picard (ST:TNG) Through
            3. Jeffrey Sinclair (Babylon 5) (1 vote needed)
            4. Sisko (DS9) Through
            5. Kosh Naranek (Babylon 5) Through
            6. Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII (and Advent Children)) NEW VOTE

Thanks to Gate Girl and CatGoddess for the Kosh votes. Also, thanks to Lonestar and RealmOfX for the Sisko and Sinclair votes respectively. Much appreciated.

ETA: Is there still one more update and chance to vote or is this the final chance?
            Last edited by Anubis69; 18 September 2006, 03:42 AM.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

I have a friend named Sam Beckett so everytime I see that someone has voted for him it feels quite strange.
              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

RESULTS

Through
                1. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)
                2. Han Solo (Star Wars)
                3. The Doctor (Doctor Who)
                4. Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek)
                5. Angel (Buffy: TVS and Angel)
                6. Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
                7. Princess Leia (Star Wars)
                8. Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)
                9. Ellen Ripley- (Alien movies)
                10. Captain Jean-Luc Picard (ST:TNG)
                11. Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)
                12. Dana Scully (X-Files)
                13. Zoe Washburne (Firefly)
                14. Jayne Cobb (Firefly)
                15. Spike (Buffy/Angel)
                16. Neo (The Matrix)
                17. Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones Franchise)
                18. Harry Potter (Harry Potter)
                19. The crew of the Battlestar Galactica (Battlestar Galactica TNS)
                20. John Crichton (Farscape)
                21. X-Men
                22. Anakin Skywalker (Star Wars)
                23. Ambassador Delenn (Babylon 5)
                24. G'Kar (Babylon 5)
                25. John Sheridan (Babylon 5)
                26. Inigo Montoya (The Princess Bride)
                27. Ker Avon (Blake's 7)
                28. Major Kira (Trek: Ds9)
                29. Simon Tam (Firefly)
                30. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars)
                31. River Tam (Firefly)
                32. Batman (Batman Franchise)
                33. Fox Mulder (X-Files)
                34. Turanga Leela (Futurama)
                35. Benjamin Sisko (DS-9)
                36. O'Brien (Trek: DS-9)
                37. V (V for Vendetta)
                38. Kaylee Frye (Firefly)
                39. Hoban "Wash" Washburne (Firefly)
                40. Aragorn (Lord Of The Rings)
                41. Yoda (Star Wars)
                42. Marty Mcfly (Back to the Future)
                43. Wolverine (X-Men)
                44. Arthur Dent (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
                45. Eowyn (Lord of the Rings)
                46. Kosh Naranek (Babylon 5)
                47. Vincent (Beauty and the Beast)
                48. Buck Rogers (Buck Rogers)
                49. Superman
                50. Sam Beckett (Quantum Leap)
                51. Spiderman

Sorry to the people who didnt get to use the last of their votes. Now, we take 1 day off to discuss the list etc, and then we go into the first round. See you then!
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

So, we have our list now (was it the sheer number of entries on the Greatest SF movie tournament list that led to the cap on numbers this time?). Here's the Prophet's utterly uninformed reckoning on the form.

1. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly) - Good odds; the fact that Serenity is both recent and wildly popular makes Mal a hot favourite. I'm not sure I rate him as a hero myself - BDH or no - but he might make the cut as an antihero.
                  2. Han Solo (Star Wars) - Classic antihero and certainly iconic. Star Wars has a timeless cut, but Lucas seems to have decided that the franchise didn't need a Han and the new generation of fans might feel the same.
                  3. The Doctor (Doctor Who) - Better odds now than at any time in the last twenty years; the new series has revitalised his fame. Still, perhaps, not quite a big enough noise in the States to clean up.
                  4. Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek) - Iconic, but somewhat tarnished of late. The advent of the disapproving phrase 'Kirking' could tell against him. He'll probably go the distance, but not quite make the finish.
                  5. Angel (Buffy: TVS and Angel) - Angel's contradictory character - dark and serious, yet a figure of fun and mockery - makes him an appropriately dark horse in this race. Long odds, but may come from the outside.
                  6. Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) - A more classic hero, walking the Cambellian journey despite the gender inversion. Much better odds than Angel, but perhaps not so good as Mal.
                  7. Princess Leia (Star Wars) - One of the classic strong chicks, Leia might yet be overshadowed by her male counterparts.
                  8. Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5) - Long odds. B5's weak final season and failing franchise are likely to tell against our Susan with the younger voters.
                  9. Ellen Ripley- (Alien movies) - Serious icon status and one of the toughest of all tough chicks, but Alien's horror roots may attract genre snobbery and the third and fourth installments in the franchise have done her no favours.
                  10. Captain Jean-Luc Picard (ST:TNG) - Superb character, but most of his conventional hero work was in the TNG films, which were not the greatest ever.
                  11. Luke Skywalker (Star Wars) - Likely to suffer from a generational split with Anakin. Still, the lightsabre must count for something.
                  12. Dana Scully (X-Files) - It's a long time since the end of the X-Files and TV fame is fickle. Moreover, her fading seasons as a blubbering, hormonal wreck may tell against her.
                  13. Zoe Washburne (Firefly) - Good odds, although in truth she's more of a sidekick than a hero. Her principle characteristic is not the decisive action of a hero, but dogged loyalty. Still; she's got popularity.
                  14. Jayne Cobb (Firefly) - Long odds. Jayne is definitely a supporting character and has few or no genuinely heroic moments.
                  15. Spike (Buffy/Angel) - His heroism is questionable in Buffy, stronger in Angel, although he has not one but two heroic deaths. Evens.
                  16. Neo (The Matrix) - Long shot. Heroic, but not really interesting. Even within The Matrix, the supporting characters are more interesting than the hero.
                  17. Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones Franchise) - Another bona fide icon. Good chances if most of the voters are over twenty.
                  18. Harry Potter (Harry Potter) - Very long odds; he's current and popular, but not very heroic.
                  19. The crew of the Battlestar Galactica (Battlestar Galactica TNS) - Like most of the ensemble candidates, the crew will no doubt suffer from people voting them off because individual members of the crew are not liked. Middling odds, but I reckon this one will go to a single name.
                  20. John Crichton (Farscape) - A true original, but he has two strikes against him: Farscape lacks the broad exposure of most movies and many shows, and there is a groundswell of anti-BB feeling on Gateworld.
                  21. X-Men - Like the crew of the BSG, the X-Men may suffer from individual members who are not liked, as well as their disappointing third movie outing.
                  22. Anakin Skywalker (Star Wars) - c.f. Luke Skywalker.
                  23. Ambassador Delenn (Babylon 5) - A little too quite to nail the action hero votes, and there are perhaps too many B5 entrants for any one to do really well. Still, the Big Brother style voting could result in an all B5 final.
                  24. G'Kar (Babylon 5) - Probably my favourite of the B5 entrants. A strong character, but possibly too flawed to make a good showing as a hero.
                  25. John Sheridan (Babylon 5) - Conversely, Sheridan suffers from an absence of flaws that led to a certain blandness. I'd rate Jeff Sinclair higher, myself.
                  26. Inigo Montoya (The Princess Bride) - Classic lines, classic swordfight, truly heroic final showdown, but will he manage to overcome the fact that he is a) a fantasy character (look at this list; as you might expect on Gateworld, SF is claiming the lion's share) and b) a comedy character.
                  27. Ker Avon (Blake's 7) - Unquestioned presence and true antihero charm, but he's a character from a 1970s British SF show. If he makes the distance, it will probably because people don't know him to vote him off.
                  28. Major Kira (Trek: Ds9) - Another entrant who feels like more of a character than a hero, but she had her moments. Decent odds, but ultimately an outsider.
                  29. Simon Tam (Firefly) - More of a hero than Jayne, but less than Mal; probably on a par with Zoe.
                  30. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars) - A man who has only ever lost a lightsabre duel against one opponent (Darth Tyrannous) must enjoy some good odds and the combination of Alec Guiness and Ewan MacGregor has to stand him in good stead.
                  31. River Tam (Firefly) - For my money, not a hero. She has her moment, but even at that moment, she's basically doing something she has been programmed to do. I'll be voting against her early, but I suspect I shall be doing so for many rounds.
                  32. Batman (Batman Franchise) - Very solid, iconic ground. Short odds.
                  33. Fox Mulder (X-Files) - His obsessive, paranoid nature might tell against Fox; I'd give him slightly longer odds than his partner.
                  34. Turanga Leela (Futurama) - Some strong qualities may yet be countered by the fact that she is a comedy character, which tends to make people take characters less seriously.
                  35. Benjamin Sisko (DS-9) - Despite some strengths, Ben Sisko's is in many ways a lesser ST captain. He'll go far, but not to the end.
                  36. O'Brien (Trek: DS-9) - An interesting call, and a rare appearance of an enlisted man in this list. I like him, but I'm not sure he'll last the distance.
                  37. V (V for Vendetta) - I can't really say, but he may be too much of a cypher and too anti to even be an antihero.
                  38. Kaylee Frye (Firefly) - Very sweet and very brave, but I don't rate Kaylee as a hero.
                  39. Hoban "Wash" Washburne (Firefly) - Another hot tip, his role in Serenity boosting a loveable comedy sidekick to heroic status.
                  40. Aragorn (Lord Of The Rings) - Aragorn packs some serious iconic stature, and that fight in Fellowship might carry him far, despite coming from a fanstasy background.
                  41. Yoda (Star Wars) - Despite his lightsabre-fu, Yoda is really a mentor, not a hero. I don't rate him, but he has legs and may run.
                  42. Marty Mcfly (Back to the Future) - There is a realism in Back to the Future that makes Marty's courage all the more heroic. I doubt he'll go the distance, but I wish him well.
                  43. Wolverine (X-Men) - So, does he count as one of the X-Men as well as his own man? Good chances, although Last Stand might scupper him.
                  44. Arthur Dent (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) - I don't think Arthur will do so well, but I maintain that there's a steadfast heroism in his persistent resistance to the galaxy's attempts to change him.
                  45. Eowyn (Lord of the Rings) - Probably the strongest fantasy contender; a real tragic heroine, with serious bottle.
                  46. Kosh Naranek (Babylon 5) - Another character with heroic moments, but possibly not a real hero. Still; he gets some enigmatic props.
                  47. Vincent (Beauty and the Beast) - I don't know him well, but I'm not sure he'll go that far. I'm not sure that a beast who has more than one beauty is really pulling his weight, whatever the behind-the-scenes reasons.
                  48. Buck Rogers (Buck Rogers) - Buck on the other hand is carrying his own weight, and quite a bit of it, which is not good in a jumpsuit. Neither Gil Gerard nor Buster Crabbe exactly flattered by fashion.
                  49. Superman - An unquestioned hero, but not the most interesting.
                  50. Sam Beckett (Quantum Leap) - A good shout from the outfield. I'm liking Sam's prospects for the finals, if not for the win.
                  51. Spiderman - He does whatever a spider can, but can a spider win a greatest hero vote off? Who knows.

And that's the form.
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Okay, I f*****d up, when asked about the crews of the X-men and BSG, what I meant to say was that you shouldnt vote for the little people, who occasionally appear, and to keep them as a group, but still vote for the major characters, as people did with Wolverine. Therefore, I am opening up the votes for the crews of BSG and the X-men, and there are TEN places for them, everyone gets one vote and if they vote for someone, that hero automatically goes through. Once again, sorry for not being clear. Get in quick, becuase only the first 10 votes will be counted.

I won't vote to give you guys the chance to get who you want in.
                    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                      Once again, sorry for not being clear. Get in quick, becuase only the first 10 votes will be counted.
                      Professor Charles Xavier (X-Men)
                      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Commander William Adama

*cough*green for whoever votes Colonal Tigh in

Comment

Storm!

(thanks Thunderstorm & Anubis69 - now somebody vote for Nightcrawler!)
                          Last edited by warmbeachbrat; 18 September 2006, 03:51 PM.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

*strokes chin* Being here early i have the luxury of chosing. Interesting... I always liked...

Apollo

warmbeachbrat, you can vote Storm if you edit quickly as Thunderstorm already voted in Chaz..
                            Last edited by Anubis69; 18 September 2006, 03:19 PM.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                              *cough*green for whoever votes Colonal Tigh in
                              No need for green. I like Colonel Tigh, both versions.

Colonel Tigh
                              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Nightcrawler
                                46-43! and 45-44! and 49-22-11!!
                                sigpic
                                Ain't it good to know you've got a friend. ~ Carole King

Comment

Working...
                                X