The short version:
- Treat others with respect. No bullying of any kind.
- Keep it family-friendly.
- User [spoiler] tags where appropriate.
- Don't post spam, or someone else's copyrighted material.
- No politics and religion (unless it's specific to an episode).
- Stay on topic.
- Don't bash someone else's beloved character.
- Mods, not you, decide what the rules mean (and how they should be enforced).
The long version:
- Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines -
GateWorld affirms the unique value and dignity of all people. The Stargate family is diverse and wonderful, and we welcome and affirm all people whatever their race, nationality, gender, sexuality, religion, or creed.
All rules apply to posts, user signatures, profiles, Social Groups, private messages, and Reputation comments.
- Treat others with respect. GateWorld does not permit insult, abuse, or bullying. Refrain from personal attacks and name-calling, and from disparaging individuals or groups with crude nicknames they are likely to find offensive. Disagreements and debates are fine, but negative personal comments are not welcome. Stick to the issues and the arguments, and when the debate has concluded, agree to disagree.
Respecting other members means that they have as much right as you to post their opinion, within the boundaries of the forum topic. Do not tell another member that they should leave. Do not request that the moderators intervene and discipline a member merely because you disagree with a controversial value or opinion.
If you believe someone is violating the forum rules or posting off-topic, report the post to the moderators using the triangle icon in the lower left corner of the post. Do not respond to the poster.
- Personal disputes between members are not welcome on the public discussion board. If you must press a personal dispute with someone, do it in private e-mail. This applies to Private Messages and off-forum links, as well. If you finally cannot reach a resolution with another member, you should ignore their posts and messages; do not continue to engage them in a caustic manner.
- This forum is family-friendly. The rule of thumb for everything you do here should be "Rated PG-13" and below. That includes your posts (profanity is not welcome), and any pictures or links you include in your post, signature, avatar, profile page, and private messages. Keep it clean and polite -- we're all friends here! Moderators have final say on what is "PG-13," and we'll let you know if something is out of line.
- SPOILERS: You are welcome to post info about episodes that others might not have seen yet, but you should take precautions not to spoil them. Use the [spoiler] spoiler tag [/spoiler] around portions of your post that you wish to conceal.
Any thread that contains plot info, surprise developments or character appearances, etc., for episodes in any current or future season should indicate in the first message (or the first message and thread title) that the thread includes spoilers for that episode(s). (Spoiler tags are NOT required for dedicated episode discussion threads created by GateWorld.)
For the forum's complete spoiler rule and further details on using the [spoiler] tag, click here.
- Treat actors and production crew with respect. This falls under the first rule -- but it's important to remember that we owe the casts and crews of the shows we love at least as much respect as we owe our fellow fans. Criticizing creative decisions is fine; cutting down the people that make the show is not. Some of these people take time out of their day to read and participate here, and they should not be met with personal attacks because of their creative decisions.
- Politics & religion. Topics specific to politics (including hotly contested social controversies) and religion are not permitted at GateWorld Forum. Keep your posts kind, and keep them focused on Stargate and other in-bounds topics. (Note that politics and religion as depicted on the shows is, of course, still permitted.)
- No SPAM. Do not post advertisements that are not related to Stargate or other sci-fi -- especially sales or money-making schemes. Also, do not repost the same message in multiple threads or folders. Definition of "SPAM" lies solely with the moderators. Spammers will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of a Goa'uld pain stick.
- Copyrighted material. Do not post a copyrighted article or other material in its entirety on the forum, without permission from the copyright holder. Instead post an interesting selection, citing the source, along with a link to the full story if it's available online. This includes news stories and other material from GateWorld itself.
- Episode downloads. Do not use GateWorld to request, trade, or advertise illegal downloads of copyrighted films or television programs, including Stargate. This includes BitTorrent and Web sites offering to stream or sell TV shows and movies illegally. (You can usually recognize these when the episode is offered for free, with no advertisements, sometimes including episodes that have not yet aired in your country, and not in connection with the broadcast network or a recognized service such as Hulu, Amazon, or Netflix.)
- Photo manipulations. All manipulations must be appropriate for all ages. This means no compromising positions, no nudity, and all manipulations must be in good taste (at the sole discretion of the moderators). Manips that create two actors kissing, or the like, should not be posted here. Putting a person's head on another person's body is also inappropriate. Respect the actors, and make every effort to honor their right to control their likenesses.
- Character bashing. Every main character and cast member has a devoted fan following, so it's not conducive to the atmosphere we want to foster to outright bash one of the show's main characters. You can criticize a character to your heart's content, but please keep it constructive and tactful.
- Stay on topic. If your post is drifting from the thread topic, feel free to start a new thread in the appropriate folder.
- Look for the right thread. If you can find a thread already discussing a topic or episode, post there instead of starting a new thread. Every episode already has its own thread in each season's "Episodes" sub-folder. (If you can't find it, look for the "Discuss" link on that episode's page in GateWorld's episode guide.) Moderators may merge or close redundant threads from time to time, so that members aren't confused and conversations aren't schizophrenic. Please don't take it personally!
If your topic doesn't already have a good thread and is worth a thread of its own, feel free to start it in the appropriate folder. Do not create multiple copies of the same thread.
- Post your own words. Feel free to quote articles, TV shows, other fans, etc., but do not re-post copyrighted material in its entirety. Also, do not post on behalf of someone else -- let them visit the forum and post for themselves. And please do not copy and paste someone else's post made in another forum to this one without the author's permission. One person per user name, please.
The moderators reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason. Should a post you make be found in violation of the rules you may be asked to edit it yourself, or the moderators may choose to edit or delete it without notice. Grossly negligent or repeated violations of the rules will result in restricted access to the forum, including banning.
The moderators have final say over interpreting the rules, and their decisions are final. You can always ask the mods for an explanation of a decision and appeal your case in private. But once the matter is settled we ask that you let it rest and move on. Badgering the moderators or making a public case of a moderation decision -- on or off this site -- may result in your being banned from the forum.
It is the policy of GateWorld Forum not to discuss private moderation decisions impacting specific users with others, or in public.
If a moderated or banned member is attempting to court sympathy elsewhere, please bear in mind that you are only hearing one side of the story.
In addition to these rules, please read the GateWorld Community Vision.
Before you post, please consider whether what you are saying contributes to making GateWorld the sort of place we want it to be.