PDA

View Full Version : Just to clear things up, is Atlantis on Earth?

TheScorpionsSting
May 26th, 2004, 10:59 AM
I read and watched some things that have me confused about where Atlantis is. So is it that the city of Atlantis where the show will be held is on Earth or is the StarGate to Atlantis on Earth and Atlantis is in pegasuss Galaxy or something? If Altlantis isn't on Earth why not? Kind of makes it contradictory to the eye witnesses and records in real life.

Teal'c
May 26th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Atlantis was on Earth, a couple of million years ago. Then it flew away into space, to the Pegasus Galaxy.

There's no special, magical gate to go there, they use the one in the SGC.

earck
May 26th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Atlantis was on Earth, a couple of million years ago. Then it flew away into space, to the Pegasus Galaxy.

There's no special, magical gate to go there, they use the one in the SGC.
uhhhh... Flew into Space?

Plethalos
May 26th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Sure they had to get it there the first time so I guess they flew it there.

Maybe?

Mr Prophet
May 26th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Records in real life? What records in real life? Atlantis is a myth, propagated by Plato as a backdrop for philosophical discourse.

And the entire city of Atlantis is apparently spaceworthy in unaired/unfilmed sequences from TLC; whether they'll ever refer to this idea again is anyone's guess.

Teal'c
May 26th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Here, this was cut from the end of Lost City...

KorbenDirewolf
May 26th, 2004, 11:42 AM
The way I interpreted it, a place on Earth may have once been called Atlantis. This place is no longer there, although some Ancient technology is there. The place now known as Atlantis is in the Pegasus galaxy.

Wrathox
May 26th, 2004, 11:42 AM
were did that come from Teal'c :confused:

David85
May 26th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Yes, the movie ending had the lost city on Earth and lifting into outspace to where it is now. My question is, why did it move there?

Elwe Singollo
May 26th, 2004, 03:55 PM
:)

Mio
May 26th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Yes, the movie ending had the lost city on Earth and lifting into outspace to where it is now. My question is, why did it move there?
Maybe the encroaching ice triggered a self preservation mechanism.

Or maybe it was on a timer.

Or maybe a small piece of ice fell onto a loose board, which in turn sent a loose fragment of rock flying through the air, which hit the stargate dialing device, which activated the gate, whose ka-woosh cut a rope that caused a bucket of sand to tip over, causing a rod to slowly lower onto the 'Launch City Into Another Galaxy' button.....

I like the third one.

Nolamom
May 26th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Or maybe a small piece of ice fell onto a loose board, which in turn sent a loose fragment of rock flying through the air, which hit the stargate dialing device, which activated the gate, whose ka-woosh cut a rope that caused a bucket of sand to tip over, causing a rod to slowly lower onto the 'Launch City Into Another Galaxy' button.....

Oh how Rube Goldberg-esque! Delightful!
Nmom

Darren
May 26th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Some SPOILERS (kind of) for SG-1's Season Seven finale, "Lost City" ...

According to an early draft of "Lost City," Atlantis took off from Earth (what's now Antarctica) millions of years ago and headed into space.

Now that that version has been excised, who knows whether or not the writers will decide if Atlantis was ever on Earth. They may very well not.

Mr Prophet
May 26th, 2004, 09:35 PM

Handy for the shops?

Mio
May 27th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Some SPOILERS (kind of) for SG-1's Season Seven finale, "Lost City" ...

According to an early draft of "Lost City," Atlantis took off from Earth (what's now Antarctica) millions of years ago and headed into space.

Now that that version has been excised, who knows whether or not the writers will decide if Atlantis was ever on Earth. They may very well not.
Jack refered to Earth as 'Terra Atlantis' or at least part of earth.

Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that Atlantis was at least constructed here.

Ugly Pig
May 27th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that Atlantis was at least constructed here.
Makes sense. If Atlantis took off after the repositories of knowledge were created (which makes sense if the Ancients died out around the same time), then Jack would not even be aware that Atlantis wasn't on Earth anymore.

David85
May 27th, 2004, 03:16 PM

LOL

Love it!

Sounds like something Jack would say.

Mio
May 27th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Sorry, but I didn't have time to fire up 3d studio max....

Bast
May 28th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Plato acount of Atlantis was the first SCi fi book in history!

nugglebugget
May 28th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Sorry, but I didn't have time to fire up 3d studio max....

Looks plausible enough to me,but where is the "you are here..X"sign?

Andy867
May 28th, 2004, 11:12 AM
My guess is that with the Ancients doing battle with the Wraith, they moved their most advanced city to the Pegasus Galaxy in order for them to preserve in hopes that its advanced technology would prove to be the key to defeating the Wraith. So in other words, Atlantis was being built in secret in the Milky Way Galaxy, which the Wraith were unaware of. This secret ultimately led to Atlantis then flying towards the stars or perhaps "sunk into the sea" in which the ancients had developed some sort of mass transporter in which they were able to transport the city to the Pegasus Galaxy more quickly.

David85
May 28th, 2004, 12:48 PM
But why would they move the city CLOSER to their enemy?

Mio
May 28th, 2004, 12:49 PM
The city has a large domed shield around it, I believe i read that somewhere.

Moving the city to the antarctic may have required that the city submerge for some reason.

Andy867
May 28th, 2004, 04:39 PM
They probably felt it was ready for action, and they probably had all their more advanced technology there, but it was designed to only work the power grid that was supplied by the City of Atlantis. So they moved it so they could put it into action. Or like Pippin said, the closer they are to danger, the farther away they are from harm. Its like having the most advanced weapon the ancients had built on the doorstep of the Wraith and they dont even know it. Or its possible that the Wraith didnt even originate in the Pegasus Galaxy or in a galaxy near it, they just had migrated there over the past 1-50 million years.

Jarnin
May 29th, 2004, 01:11 AM
But why would they move the city CLOSER to their enemy?It's a weapons platform, that just so happens to be a spaceship the size of a city.

Mio
May 29th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Plus, the wraith hibernate for 200 years before feeding. It's unlikely that they have the initiative to look for something that they probably don't know exists.

TheScorpionsSting
May 29th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Ok now I'm more confused than before!

Ace
May 29th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Ok now I'm more confused than before!

The best advice ANYBODY can give you is to simply watch the Rising, I'm sure they will be doing a lot of explaining. Anything anybody tells you right now is pure speculation, until the episode airs on July 16

Ace

Andy867
May 29th, 2004, 05:30 PM
What we see as a city might not be a city to the ancients. It could be like a mobile weapon. Kind of like "The Weapon" from Star Trek: Enterprise.

Nolamom
May 29th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Anyone ever read James Blish's Cities in Flight? I can't help but think of that when I think of Atlantis "rising". Got spindizzies anyone?
Nmom

Mio
May 29th, 2004, 06:39 PM
I was thinking about the floating cities of the Netheril when I heard Atlantis was a flying city =)

TheScorpionsSting
May 30th, 2004, 09:10 AM
[SPOILER: Season One - The Nox]

The Nox also have floating cities and can make them invisible at will. Maybe the Ancients also made Atlantis invisible.

r3tude
May 31st, 2004, 12:37 PM

You here daniel on about sounds in Ancients devised for the stargate symbols, e.g AT meaning earth and in Atlantis, perhaps terra atlantis means gateway to atlantis or something along those lines.

Lets not asume it was on earth, also theres nothing found yet that indecates cities of the ancients in our galaxy. perhaps we held the remote colonies. if our galaxy was the heart of the ancients domain i would of thought we would be littered with cities.

also why would they leave knowledge depositories in the heart of their own domain, wouldn't they just ask Fred

Andy867
May 31st, 2004, 12:47 PM
My guess is that Jack in is Ancient-driven form knew that Earth would be the only capable Stargate of reaching Atlantis, he also knew of the outpost on Earth, hence the soon-to-be annhiliation of Anubis.

Outposts are usually established when you want to keep an update of the system or area, but for whatever reasonm, are unable to make a permanent establishment.

Mr Prophet
May 31st, 2004, 12:49 PM
"Terra Atlantis" would be 'the land of Atlantis'; like terra firma - firm ground - and terra incognito - unknown country.

Osiris
May 31st, 2004, 01:03 PM
Earth means Terre in french, Terra in latin, Tau'ri in goa'uld... so Terra Atlantis= Earth Atlantis...

Just my 2 cents

Jannis_Equinox
May 31st, 2004, 01:32 PM
Here, this was cut from the end of Lost City...

Hi,
as you can clearly see in the pictures below, it shows atlantis lifting of and bound to ground, whether it is supposed to be earth or some sort of moon. As these pictures have shown up by the end of last year, my guess is that they were supposed to be parts of " The lost City" as mentioned in one daft of the script of tlc.

Have fun.

Jannis_Equinox

Teal'c
May 31st, 2004, 01:32 PM
Lets not asume it was on earth, also theres nothing found yet that indecates cities of the ancients in our galaxy. perhaps we held the remote colonies. if our galaxy was the heart of the ancients domain i would of thought we would be littered with cities.

You did see what I posted, right? :P

g.o.d
June 5th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Gateworld posted one picture trelated to s7 finale.There were that ancient Sentinels, Anubis' supersoldiers, ZPM, Atlantis in the ice and Atlantis leaving.Does anybody remember?It was long time ago:-)

Anubis
June 5th, 2004, 01:55 AM
I remember those pictures. At the time they looked really cool, and they still do. Perhaps they were actually designed for Atlantis?

David85
June 5th, 2004, 09:17 AM
That was concept art, prob from the movie idea. But after the 8th season showwed up they changed it.

Anubis
June 5th, 2004, 09:26 AM
I think that was what a storyline was based on. The Lost City flew away to another galaxy at the hands of the Ancients

g.o.d
June 5th, 2004, 11:10 AM
there would be more useful against Wraiths.Outposts are suficient against gou'alds in the Milky Way.

Mio
June 5th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Not just Gou'alds, but Ancient-enhanced Gou'alds.....

Andy867
June 5th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Whose to say that the Ancients had any hand in making the Goa'uld who they are, because you have seen that Ancients technology will not function in the presence of a symbiote, the like repository that Jack looked into the first time. It didnt react to Teal'c, but grabbed O'Neill, so obviously the Ancients were aware of the Goa'uld, and made sure that their technology would not work with a host carrying a symbiote, which would probably include the Tok'Ra as well.

And if you are referring to Anubis, he had simply ascended, in which he gained an advanced knowledge, which probably allowed him to alter the Ancient Technology, but other than that, no other Goa'uld has shown any sign of being able to use Ancient Technology.

Mr Prophet
June 5th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Or maybe it just responds to the 'Ancient gene'; or at least it responds to the gene now.

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Yah, maybe Daniel couldn't have put his head into that device, and only Jack could, but that would have been an interesting to see that Jack was the only one in the group who could get it.

Mio
June 5th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Jack definetly has the gene. He was able to use the recliner of power.....

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Jack definetly has the gene. He was able to use the recliner of power.....Yah, i knew that :) Special Jack :) Haha, anyways, i heard <kind of spoiler> the doctor in Atlantis has the gene as well, i'm not sure though, lemme 'reread' the character bios :)

Torley
June 5th, 2004, 10:22 PM
It's only a matter of time before the Goa'uld and the Wraiths are at each others' throats!

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 10:24 PM
It's only a matter of time before the Goa'uld and the Wraiths are at each others' throats!That would be an interesting fight :)

Anubis
June 6th, 2004, 12:55 AM
I think the Wraith would win because if they can beat the Ancients, they can beat the Gou'ald

Torley
June 6th, 2004, 01:02 AM
That's a good point considering some things.

HOWEVER, things have changed... and Anubis of course had the technology and certain powers of the Ancients (could he do something more by waving his hands at Daniel? It was implied, although it was not his doing)...

I don't know yet how good the Wraith have been at keeping in check with new technology and upgrades, so we'll see...... it's inevitable though, sooner or later ;)

Anubis
June 6th, 2004, 01:21 AM
I guess the Wraith have been sleeping for so long the technology will not bother them. The only technology that has really evolved is Earth's since they have Ancient defenses. Well, they will have

Mio
June 6th, 2004, 05:19 AM
But that's not really a technological evolution. It's just some strangers picking up the weapons of the wraith's enemies.

Anubis
June 6th, 2004, 05:45 AM
You're right. I guess if the Wraith figured out Ancient stuff then they wouldn't have really fell behind in technology

Matt G
June 6th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Thought the Wraith were supposed to be asleep for a couple of centuries or so? Earth tech has DEFINATELY evolved since then!

Anubis
June 6th, 2004, 06:39 AM
They have been asleep for a long while, and then Earth wake them. But I have to say most of the technology Earth has is someone elses combined with their own. Maybe that will confuse the Wraith and make us the best! YAY! :p

Andy867
June 6th, 2004, 08:19 AM
I think that the big thing with the Wraith defeating the Ancients was that they had developed the virus that spread throughout the Ancients. My guess is that the Wraith were possibly losing the war against the Ancients, and they used the plague as an act of desperation. And the plague soon spread to our known galaxy, but over these possibly millions of years, the goa'uld symbiotes may have possibly come in contact with the virus and weren't able to defeat it right away, but eventually developed an immunity to it, putting them a step ahead of the Ancients in terms of battling the Wraith. Plus they have new technologies, and the super soldiers (well baal does), and all that and it would probably take the Wraith by surprise, though we don't know what kind of goodies and gadgets the Wraith have at their disposal.

David85
June 19th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I'm confused about this one thing that the Sci-Fi channel released in November I think of 2003..

"A whole new adventure with a new team begins in the successful Stargate universe. In this spin-off from MGM Worldwide Television, a secret base left by the originators of the Stargate is found in the most unlikely of places: on Earth, buried within the ruins of the legendary civilization Atlantis. The implications of this discovery lead the team to a distant galaxy, where they find a primitive human civilization threatened by a sinister new enemy."

Ummm....... On Earth??? It doesn't sound like that outpost thingie....

Anubis
June 20th, 2004, 12:24 AM
It does, just that they use the outpost to find out where the Lost City is

Mio
June 20th, 2004, 06:33 AM
It's just badly worded.

Anubis
June 20th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Yes, yes Mio! lol

Balthazar
June 20th, 2004, 08:43 AM
at the time, atlantis was going to be on earth, when season 7 was going to be the last season, but when an 8th season was planned they had to move the city to another galexy so sg1 and sga1 wouldent be going to the same plannets and stepping on eachothers toes.

Anubis
June 20th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Quite right. It originally was going to be discovered and fly away

David85
June 20th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys. I couldn't remember if season 8 was annouced first or Atlantis. I wish it was still on Earth, just end SG-1 and make it on Earth. :) But then of course we don't get that cool planet to explore too.

Steven_the_Atlantean
July 1st, 2005, 11:15 PM
Hello
Ok this is how it goes
Atlantis was an ancient city that was on earth thousands of years ago until an Volcano erupted and destroyed atlantis. Scientists found pieces of Atlantis all over the earth but never actually found the place Atlantis was on. Scientists have theories that Atlantis was owned by the Egyptians but they both do have different hieroglyphs remember there are all kinds of different theories.
The show Stargate Atlantis is on another galaxy. Think about it a city can never fly and the crews that created stargate Atlantis isn’t going to attact rockets on Atlantis that will just be ridiculous.
SO YES THERE "WAS" A REAL CITY CALLED "ATLANTIS" ON EARTH BUT NOW ITS JUST A MISTERY
Any questions go for it
http://www.exn.ca/hiddenworlds/atlantis/readstory.asp?storyID=2002010353
this is information on "the real atlantis on earth" (not the one on stargate)