This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tolan Rail Gun?

I thought I saw a thread about the rail gun, but can't find it now.

Anyway, from the pics, the rail guns look like human made big guns, but could they in fact be based on the tolan gun. The one where each gun could take out a gould mothership? They gave us the plans for a rail gun in exchange for that mineral they use for the tolan phasing tech. We were too dumb to make heads or tails of the plans, but maybe we've figured out enough about the tolan guns to make our own. Even if these weren't as powerful as the tolan type they could collectively inflict quite a bit of damage. It is also possible that after learning how to make asgard guns and access to some ancient tech we are able to make them even better than the tolan guns. Only problem would be power, but the zpm would take care of that.

Anyways, that's my summation of "ABN Today" (Ascended Being News). You guys should get it, it's free for all who are enlightened. If the paper is warm it means it was printed on the presses a short time ago.

1) The tolan didn't use rail guns they used energy wepaons. An ion cannon. IIRC.
    2) This has what to do with atlantis?

edit: scratch the 2nd point I know what you're on about. This is nore of a season 1 section bit since it refers to Seige II.

Theres nothing to suggest they were anything to do with the tollan whatso ever. Like I said they used energy weapons.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

The tollans use ION cannons
      Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
      McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

Ion cannon, rail gun, it could still use the same tech. Maybe the rail gun is a smaller ion cannon.

"Rail Guns are not by any means a new technology; 50 years ago when the first true rail guns were built and fired it was believed that they would provide a means to accelerate objects to virtually any desired speed"

" RailGuns differ from other means of accelerating objects in that the acceleration in the rails occurs purely by magnetic repulsion"

Maybe they shoot ion blasts or something?

Comment

> Ion cannon, rail gun, it could still use the same tech. Maybe the rail gun is
          > a smaller ion cannon.
          > Maybe they shoot ion blasts or something?

No, rail guns accelerate solid projectile/ordnance, relying (primarily, usually) on speed and mass to cause damage to it's targets. Rail guns are a real technology being developed for future (naval) battle ships thanks to the power nuclear reactors can provide.

Tolan ion canons are fictional energy weapons, not solid projectile weapons.

And, FYI, the rail guns in Atlantis's season finale required solid ordnance.

Comment

No. They shoot shots at over Mach 5 up to 250 miles

They are not Tollan.
            The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father

Comment

I thought that ion cannons were designed to disable rather than destroy a ship, similar to an EMP, in fairness now, im basing that assumption on my experience of playing x-wing and tie fighter on the PC, two totally awesome games, x-wing alliance i never got into though
              We are the Wraith who say NI!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aligator_am
                I thought that ion cannons were designed to disable rather than destroy a ship, similar to an EMP, in fairness now, im basing that assumption on my experience of playing x-wing and tie fighter on the PC, two totally awesome games, x-wing alliance i never got into though
                Well, they are probably two different things then.

The tollan weapons definately blows up ships. There may be a disabling component, howver, since the Goa'uld shields seemed to be useless against the weapon. But we've never been told that on the show, and the lack of shield effectiveness is probably due to that fact that the Tollan cannons are that powerful

Comment

You know, if the Tollan had technology that didn't use circuits or moving parts then that would mean they're more advanced than the Ancients.

Comment

Originally posted by aligator_am
                    Only in Star Wars.

In stargate they blow stuff up.

EDIT: Oh and who ever neg repped me for my first post in this thread: Sod off untill you grow a pair and actually sign it.
                    Last edited by Crazedwraith; 12 March 2005, 01:01 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Banner By JME2

Comment

Were the Tollan a transplanted group from earth? or did they develop totally seperately? they seemed really advanced, but then again maybe modern day humans (in the real world) could possibly be that advanced if the dark ages had never happened, perhaps the tollans advancements simply snowballed, and the whole religious ****e was recognised for what it was, a waste of space. Just an idea

Comment

they were taken from the Roman period IIRC They're more advanced than us because they never stopped learning in the dark ages. Like we did for around 200 years IIRC.
                        Last edited by Crazedwraith; 12 March 2005, 01:12 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Banner By JME2

Comment

Yeah i suppose the whole blowing stuff up is totally plausable, even if the ion cannons were designed to overload a target's systems, if it overloaded the engines (and I'm assuming the engines in a Goa'uld mothership are mega powerful) then the whole ship would go arseways, i wonder what would happen if you shot a person with an ion cannon, would it be like the "brown noise" and everyone affected would crap their pants? ROTFL

Comment

Only in Star Wars do Ion Cannons nullify shields and disable ships.

In practically everything else, Ion Cannons rip **** to shreds
                            The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                              they were taken from the Roman period IIRC They're more advanced than us because they never stopped learning in the dark ages. Like we did for around 200 years IIRC.
                              Of course the Dark Ages applied only to Europe. You're assuming that without Europe the rest of the world would never industrialize. Its probably because of the Dark Ages that led Europe into the Industrial Revolution. Without it, the Roman Empire would be like China, with revolving dynasties and slow technological growth.

Comment

Working...
                              X