This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else Feel that Pete (Spoilers for Threads) Also Threads Messup

any1 else feel the the way they got rid of pete was horrible? They made the fans like the guy..he buys a house for him and carter..then in one ep she leaves him. I think yes she should have left him for Jack (which i hope happens by season 9) but they could have done it in a much better way. I really liked pete.

For the messup...The show started with Jack and Sam talking about it has been a week since Danny went missing...then 3 minutes later they show the Jaffa rebellion like it just happened. Were they all standing around for a week?
    When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
    I miss you.
    Please...please come back one day.

(Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

Originally posted by Icemancmd
    any1 else feel the the way they got rid of pete was horrible? They made the fans like the guy..he buys a house for him and carter..then in one ep she leaves him. I think yes she should have left him for Jack (which i hope happens by season 9) but they could have done it in a much better way. I really liked pete.

I think, the character was poorly dealt with from Day 1. He had potential--many likeable qualities, but was doomed, I think.

Comment

I didn't think the way they got rid of him was particularly bad. I did think the way *Sam* got rid of him was particularly bad. She had to get rid of him, after all she didn't love him, but she was a bit cruel throwing all the gentleness and generosity with which he responded to the dumpage back into his face so unkindly.

But the way the show got rid of the character? No, that was good cos he didn't get unceremoniously forgotten like nyan or Catherine, but had a Proper Leaving Scene where he got some nice emotional stuff to get his teeth into. I thought it was a good exit for a minor character.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
        I didn't think the way they got rid of him was particularly bad. I did think the way *Sam* got rid of him was particularly bad. She had to get rid of him, after all she didn't love him, but she was a bit cruel throwing all the gentleness and generosity with which he responded to the dumpage back into his face so unkindly.

But the way the show got rid of the character? No, that was good cos he didn't get unceremoniously forgotten like nyan or Catherine, but had a Proper Leaving Scene where he got some nice emotional stuff to get his teeth into. I thought it was a good exit for a minor character.
        Sam strung him along, because she *wanted* him to be the one even when she knew in her heart he wasn't. I didn't quite get Sam's reaction to his reaction.

Comment

I did feel for the guy... nothing sucks more than gettin strung along to have the whole rug pulled out from under you. But with that said, Sam did the right thing by stopping it before the wedding.. man that was disaster in the making. Also jckfan55 said, I think he was doomed character from the start of the story arc on Pete.

Comment

Let's face it. Carter screwed this guy over. She was in denial about whether she could make it work, she wasn't honest with him about how she felt about him and about Jack.

Basically, Carter behaved like a headcase. I'm afraid that anyone who CAN behave that way has got to have a very big question mark next to their name for any future relationships.

Comment

Carter's been iffy the whole season (and probably the previous one, too), so I'm not surprised it went down that way. Remember, she had to act stupid to make Gemini work, so it isn't a stretch that she FUBAR Pete.

Pete was doomed the moment he was introduced because the momentum of 'the ship' (yes, I mean 'the') introduced all the way back in Season 4 was too great to overcome. Maybe his sendoff was better than what some other characters got, but like the way Yu went out it left a bad aftertaste.
              I will rule the world... and find that truly good cup of coffee.

Comment

I think from the very beginning pete wasn't quite the kind of person that sam woud be attracted to. my interpretation, but i see her wanting a man who's a bit more forceful and pete, who's all nice and sweet and rather a bit of a pushover, but that's just me

I also think that sam came out of grace DETERMINED to have a relationship with someone, even if it killed her, she was going to ignore any gut feelings and play along for as long as she could, basically convince herself that it was a good thing

that's what i attribute her lack of smack down over pete's behavior to

then, to me, i think that pete moved way too fast when he just bought the house, without saying a word. that's a bit of a big step to take all by yourself. I also took issue with 'it's vital' and interrupting her meeting over flowers (course i also know there's no way in heck her cell phone would work 28 stories below)

I think, had pete not pushed her, she'd probably stil be seeing him...but i also think she was seeing him despite her own feelings that it wsn't going to work

as to how she broke up with him...hey, she did it the adult way, telling him to his face.

and her being surprised by his attitude...well, again this is my interpretation, but i have a funny feeling when she broke up wtih Jonas Hanson there was yelling, screaming and much unpleasantness (of course, had pete gotten upset, it would have been easier for her. anger is easier to respond to than understanding)
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

As much as I disliked Pete for the time he was on (nothing personal, I am just a very loyal Jack/Sam shipper), I have to agree that I think they could've done a better job dismissing the character. It just seemed like he didn't put up much of a fight for Sam when it was all over though. They should have had him done more than just walk away. They way they got rid of him just made me stop and say "That's it?".

I also think that his whole character role was written unjustly. I mean, you see him once, then he doesn't return for how many episodes? And then he proposes to Sam and again you don't see or hear from him for another bunch of episodes? For as important to Sam as he was supposed to be, it seemed like they should have had him written in a lot more episodes, or at least had him mentioned far more than he was. Anyone agree?

Comment

I do feel very sorry for poor Pete. But in fairness to Sam she didn't *mean* to lead him on, she was fooling herself as much as him. I imagine much of his apparently pushy behavior was precisely because he felt he was on shaky ground with her. But hard as it was on Pete, Sam did the right thing - if a little late. It's brutally unfair to marry one man while still nursing a yen for another. Pete is cute and sweet and funny and he deserves to marry a woman for whom he's the first choice, not the consolation prize.

Both Kerry and Pete obviously sensed the unresolved romantic tension between Sam and Jack. Pete decided to forge ahead and risk being hurt, Kerry more cautiously decided to get out *before* she got hurt.

Hmmmm...I wonder if Pete would be interested in a good looking CIA spook? And maybe Kerry would like a less complicated man....

Comment

I have to say, I have hated Pete - well not hated ... disliked rather - since he was introduced. But really, I mean, that was just mean, getting rid of the poor guy like that. I actually felt sorry for him! And right in in the lawn of the new house too! Ooh! Carter has dropped two guys in the show - as far as I can remember, she may have more carnage in her trail but first Fifth, that was M-E-A-N, then Pete, M-E-A-N-E-R. All i can say is ... Poor Pete.
                      TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Leah Jenner
                        I do feel very sorry for poor Pete. But in fairness to Sam she didn't *mean* to lead him on, she was fooling herself as much as him.

i agree. i think sam led herself on as much as she did pete. i think she ignored her initial 'eh, i don't think this will work' feelings and kept working at it, pushing her doubts aside to keep up the relationship

i don't think anything she did was calculating or mean, sam just has this focus when she sets herself to do something and i think she focused on making the relationship work.

I think pete's pushiness was part of his insecurities coming forth. he sensed that he was losing her and was trying to do all he could to keep her
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

But guys, come on, you gotta admit she was a bit weird about it. Let me use Fifth as a nice example. Fifth was going to go with them. Jack was the smart guy who had Carter leave him there just because he was a Replicator. Now, I know jack's not the most open minded guy and that's cool,that's how his brain works, shoot first and use the grey matter later, but did Carter have to listen to him? Sure, he's her commanding officer, but hey, mutinies happen. Fifth might not have turned out so bad if he hadn't gotten a taste of good 'ol betrayal. Of course, it also makes the batter for a great bad guy, a little anger, a pinch of deceit, a nice dose of betrayal, a shot of lost love, a teaspoon of insanity, but all I'm saying is, it seems to me Carter's done a lot of stupid stuff just to please Jack. Okay, maybe not to please him, but she does listen to him at times which might not be appropriate. Now she's hooked on that good 'ol Jack charm - which might not be a good thing.

I'll be quiet now.
                          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Sure it was mean abandoning Fifth like that but Jack was showing his usual good judgment.

Having emotions does not make one 'good' and having a crush on a pretty woman one has just met certainly doesn't.

Suppose they had taken Fifth with them; what happens if Sam hurts his feelings, or he gets tired of her, or somebody makes him mad???

Replicators are just too dangerous to take chances with.

Comment

Maybe ... but I tend to see the good in people .. while holding a p90 behind thier backs.
                              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Working...
                              X