PDA

View Full Version : why atlantis will fail (not really)

shinyredpants
May 24th, 2004, 07:05 PM
its because McKay has no glasses!

i'm sorry but there must be a geek in glasses! at least one!

i'm just kidding...actually i think atlantis will be a success because of McKay...everyone knows him from SG-1, and i'm sure there are many of you who are intrigued by him *whether you like him, hate him, want to have his children...whatever*

Not big into the uniforms.

really into the wraith *people may call them borg rip offs though*.

of course i know that this is atlantis...not SG-1...it will feel different but i'm sure it will be good! just as long as there are cliche bad guys, one liners, and and..pie.

ShadowMaat
May 24th, 2004, 07:17 PM
I think McKay is gonna be the hidden hotness of the series. ;) Granted, I do love a geek in glasses, but as long as the brains are there, the buffness will follow.

Daniel doesn't always wear his glasses, anyway. ;)

shinyredpants
May 24th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I think McKay is gonna be the hidden hotness of the series. ;) Granted, I do love a geek in glasses, but as long as the brains are there, the buffness will follow.

Daniel doesn't always wear his glasses, anyway. ;)
true...daniel is still cool either way.

its going to be all about mcKay...ROWWRRR~

USS Thunderchild
May 24th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I'm just really excited to see the puddle jumper thingy, and to see if the cast gells or not. If the actors aren't good, I doubt I'll stick around for long.

Phil

Jeff O'Connor
May 24th, 2004, 08:01 PM
I have a pretty good idea that the acting will be good, at least for the most part... I'm pretty sure this will be a good, solid show. I just wish they had kept the original actress that played Weir, for continuity as well as because I like her more.

shinyredpants
May 24th, 2004, 08:12 PM
I'm just really excited to see the puddle jumper thingy, and to see if the cast gells or not. If the actors aren't good, I doubt I'll stick around for long.

Phil
i think the acting will be good too

ShadowMaat
May 24th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Well, I've seen David Hewlett and Joe Flanigan in other things and playing diverse roles, so I know they can both flex their acting muscles. :D I have a friend who's a fan of Tori's and she seems to think Tori knows her stuff, too. Don't know much about the other two, but then again, the cast of Stargate was virtually unknown when they started (with obvious exceptions) and they've all managed quite nicely. :)

veneticuss
May 28th, 2004, 09:30 AM
And who is Mckay in SG-1 may i ask? What role does he play?

ShadowMaat
May 28th, 2004, 09:48 AM
And who is Mckay in SG-1 may i ask? What role does he play?
He plays the condescending [email protected] who is the world's foremost expert on the stargate... after Sam (although in his opinion, he's better than she is). :)

SGSlugger
May 28th, 2004, 10:42 AM
really into the wraith *people may call them borg rip offs though*.

Rip offs? How? :S

The Borg assimilate people and technology, whereas the Wraith simply just kill 'em and suck their life force. The Borg were highly technical, but we don't really know that much about Wraith tech other than they use ships (presumably a lot of them).
Granted, the skin color does kinda resemeble.

shinyredpants
May 29th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Rip offs? How? :S

The Borg assimilate people and technology, whereas the Wraith simply just kill 'em and suck their life force. The Borg were highly technical, but we don't really know that much about Wraith tech other than they use ships (presumably a lot of them).
Granted, the skin color does kinda resemeble.
arent the wraith have a "hive" thing going on like with a queen and stuff?

that's kind of similar with the borg and their queen...

i dunno...i seem to find connections out of nothing =)

petzke_42
May 29th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Atlantis will fail.....

...at failing.

HAAAAYOOOOOO!!!

David85
May 29th, 2004, 06:58 PM

Phil

Voyager was on 7 years, and Entrprise so far 3, so how does bad acting cancel the show? :-D

One more thing....

The Borg didn't have a queen until Voyager, or TNG movie, the good old borg ever not a have with a queen, they were just a mass.

shinyredpants
May 30th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Atlantis will fail.....

...at failing.

HAAAAYOOOOOO!!!
hahahahahahahaha

shinyredpants
May 30th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Voyager was on 7 years, and Entrprise so far 3, so how does bad acting cancel the show? :-D

One more thing....

The Borg didn't have a queen until Voyager, or TNG movie, the good old borg ever not a have with a queen, they were just a mass.
yeah i wasnt big into the whole borg queen thing either...

petzke_42
May 31st, 2004, 12:36 AM
hahahahahahahaha

Sweet...I got a reaction from one of my dumb jokes...usually people just ignore them, and you would think that would deter me, yet here we are.

Positively Kanyon
May 31st, 2004, 03:35 AM
I think Atlantis will be successful. I don't know why people are saying "It's not SG-1" or "there's no [insert SG-1 character here] in it!"

That's the bloody point of a spin-off... New stories with new characters. The Stargate franchise has so much potential, more than Star Trek I believe. How boring would it be if the spin-off was just "SG-2" with the same enemies, same characters and same stories?

Of course, characters from each show can cross over but they shouldn't have to rely on it, Atlantis must be given the chance to grow into it's own series and take the franchise in its own direction, for that, it needs you, the fans. I know I'll definately be tuning in.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I am well aware my profile says I'm from Brisbane, Australia but regardless, I will be watching Atlantis when it airs... just not on TV :D

darkwarden
May 31st, 2004, 03:41 AM
I can't believe people are saying that Atlantis will suck, come on people have you even bothered to look at any of the previews or pics?! At first when Stargate started many reviews were all saying that it wouldn't last a season, now look at it, if you say that Atlantis will suck you are a very ignorant person.

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2004, 05:47 AM
Poeple say things like, "I won't watch because X isn't in it" because X is all that matters to them and to hell with storylines, other characters, intriguing scenarios and all the rest.

As for watching the previews and looking at the pics... Actually, I find I can be much more enthusiasitc about the show if I don't look, because once I do I start thinking everything looks hokey and stupid.

darkwarden
May 31st, 2004, 06:12 AM
I've looked at almost everything available for Atlantis, unless something has been added since I last checked, and everytime I go back and have a look at it again I get more and more hyped.

If you are the type of person who likes to look at pics and other things, by all means take a look before you pass judgement on the series, and if you do not want to look at the pics but have no interest in the show so be it, but if you don't want to look at the pics but like the idea of the series, cool bananas.

Jannis_Equinox
May 31st, 2004, 12:39 PM
Hi,

has anybody seen the latest trailer for atlantis, i mean if that doesn't seem to become a good a show, then i don't know...

Regarding the above mentioned one liners, i think the jack fans will get their cup of tea, i mean in the trailer the " whoaa this cool " regarding the puddle jumper is absolutly hilarious, and the action, the new wormhole effect and of course the wide shot of atlantis... whauu!!

Just my 2 cents :)

See ya
Jannis_Equinox

Ugly Pig
May 31st, 2004, 12:58 PM
Regarding the above mentioned one liners, i think the jack fans will get their cup of tea, i mean in the trailer the " whoaa this cool " regarding the puddle jumper is absolutly hilarious, and the action, the new wormhole effect and of course the wide shot of atlantis... whauu!!
Jack fans may get their funny quips and one-liners from other characters in Atlantis, but who will stand around and occasionally say "indeed"? ;)

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2004, 01:00 PM
Jack fans may get their funny quips and one-liners from other characters in Atlantis, but who will stand around and occasionally say "indeed"? ;)
Maybe instead of Teal'c's "indeed" they can have McKay shout "inconceivable!" every time something unexpected happens. ;)

Ugly Pig
May 31st, 2004, 01:14 PM
Maybe instead of Teal'c's "indeed" they can have McKay shout "inconceivable!" every time something unexpected happens. ;)
Nah, McKays thing will be yelling "Are you nuts?!" every time someone else makes a useful suggestion. :)

shinyredpants
May 31st, 2004, 01:16 PM
"you are a certifiable whack job!"

Teal'c
May 31st, 2004, 01:35 PM
Poeple say things like, "I won't watch because X isn't in it" because X is all that matters to them and to hell with storylines, other characters, intriguing scenarios and all the rest.

As for watching the previews and looking at the pics... Actually, I find I can be much more enthusiasitc about the show if I don't look, because once I do I start thinking everything looks hokey and stupid.
By X you mean Daniel, right? :P

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2004, 01:37 PM
By X you mean Daniel, right? :P
Daniel, Jack, a "proper" stargate, Chevron Guy... any excuse they can find to not watch it. ;)

Shipperahoy
May 31st, 2004, 02:43 PM
"Inconceivable!". Hee hee. Gawd, I love that movie! That would be a riot and a half if they could just get McKay to scream that at least once. They've homaged everything else.

I was just waiting for Teal'c to say to Cronus: "Hello, my name is Teal'c. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

gategirl101
May 31st, 2004, 02:47 PM
I'm looking forward to Atlanits! Can't wait!

I'm hoping it keeps the stargate universe going strong for a few more years yet!

If it does fail it'll be because people won't give it a chance and use reasons like no chevron guy as a reason not to watch it.

Lets all remember Atlantis is gonna be a totally different show from SG-1. Sure there are gonna be things that are the same - but you get the point?

Think its a good idea to use Rodney McKay in Atlantis!

I can't wait. Lets all give it a chance!

shinyredpants
May 31st, 2004, 03:00 PM
i totally support McKay in every way!

i think atlantis should make it...no..it WILL, that's it, its my decision, it will be the best show EVER. better than uh..uh...star trek next generation!

Ugly Pig
May 31st, 2004, 03:15 PM
"Best show EVER"?? Come on... Sure, it'll be good. Sure it'll beat ST:TNG. But best ever? I believe that title is reserved for a little show called Family Matters!!*

*This is a big fat lie.

shinyredpants
May 31st, 2004, 03:17 PM
family matters?

come on...full house...FULL HOUSE! FULL HOUSE!

Ugly Pig
May 31st, 2004, 03:30 PM
What was I thinking?

Of course, Full House! I mean, what series could ever hope to compete with such classic episodes as the one where Stephanie drives Joeys car through the kitchen wall, the one where Michelle falls off the horse and gets amnesia, the one where Joey and Jesse goo each other up with that icky fish dinner Joey was cooking in a feeble attempt at teaching Nicky and Alex the importance of forgiveness or the one where D.J. and Stephanie accidentally makes a hole in the wall in Dannys bedroom?

Certainly not Stargate. No sirree. :)

shinyredpants
May 31st, 2004, 03:34 PM
lets not forget the episode where DJ scractches up jesse's car! and the other time they dance around the car but then lock themselves out of the car!

oh and when stephanie pierces her ears from kimmy!

aaanyway...back to stargate...

StargateSara
June 2nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
I've looked at almost everything available for Atlantis, unless something has been added since I last checked, and everytime I go back and have a look at it again I get more and more hyped.

If you are the type of person who likes to look at pics and other things, by all means take a look before you pass judgement on the series, and if you do not want to look at the pics but have no interest in the show so be it, but if you don't want to look at the pics but like the idea of the series, cool bananas.
Me too! I understand that people hate spoilers, but I love them!!!! Not all spoilers are even true anyway, but everything I read about Atlantis makes me more and more excited! Come on July!!!

Nolamom
June 2nd, 2004, 01:24 PM
This just in...Atlantis will definitely be successful if a certain extra member visits from time to time - hehehehe.

http://hometown.aol.com/greatgmas/images/fluffy%20in%20atlantis.gif

Nmom

straight plan
June 4th, 2004, 06:39 PM
wut in the heck is a borg?

ShadowMaat
June 4th, 2004, 06:48 PM
wut in the heck is a borg?
Star Trek reference. The Borg are part human, part machine. Or maybe part organic, dunno if all of them were strictly human. Their goal was, I think, the assimilation of all life in the universe. Borg or bust, baby. ;)

Elwe Singollo
June 4th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Star Trek reference. The Borg are part human, part machine. Or maybe part organic, dunno if all of them were strictly human. Their goal was, I think, the assimilation of all life in the universe. Borg or bust, baby. ;)Were the Borg really a problem in the other Star Trek Spin-Offs, or just one or two of the them.

ShadowMaat
June 4th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Were the Borg really a problem in the other Star Trek Spin-Offs, or just one or two of the them.
All but TOS and Enterprise, thus far. I think.

Teal'c
June 5th, 2004, 09:37 AM
All but TOS and Enterprise, thus far. I think.
You must have missed the terrible episode of Enterprise where they blew up a 24th centuary Borg-enhanced ship and Phlox developed a cure for assimilation.

I'm deadly serious, that's what actually happened! :P

Mith
June 8th, 2004, 01:13 PM
not sure if this was mentioned already but.. Wow, what a green universe we live in. We've got 2 different galaxies filled with them now it looks like.

:p real excuse to this is hey, its a TV show, and they are on a budget, etc. Theres nothing any TV show really could have done to avoid this, they cant waste all that money on making each planet fully CG, etc.

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Stargate does get a pretty good budget, and commentaries and such do show that most worlds on Stargate are CG, like Yu's world/fortress, but i do agree, everything can't be CG :)

David85
June 8th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Plus would we really want everything to be CG? I mean a lot od CG charaters look like crap.

petzke_42
June 8th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Very true...like that Jar Jar..........

PYRO
June 9th, 2004, 11:48 AM
not sure if this was mentioned already but.. Wow, what a green universe we live in. We've got 2 different galaxies filled with them now it looks like.

:p real excuse to this is hey, its a TV show, and they are on a budget, etc. Theres nothing any TV show really could have done to avoid this, they cant waste all that money on making each planet fully CG, etc.

Well alot of the planets have to have foliage of some sorst and at least somewhat resamble Earth, since the ancients built the stargates and the ancients lived here.....