This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Recent Edition of Sci Fi Channel Magazine

I just read something that I find rather troubling (if it is accurate) about an article that supposedly appears in the next edition of the Sci Fi Channel magazine which has interviews with both RDA and AT. Has anyone seen this or heard about this one yet? Anyone know when that magazine comes out?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone may have available.
    Last edited by binkpmmc; 24 May 2004, 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

Originally posted by binkpmmc
    I just read something that I find rather troubling (if it is accurate) about an article that supposedly appears in the next edition of the Sci Fi Channel magazine which has interviews with both RDA and AT. Has anyone seen this or heard about this one yet? Anyone know when that magazine comes out?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone may have available.

::feels like he's been left hanging:: What did you hear/read that you find rather troubling?

Ace
    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

I try not to take too much from written interviews. All they have to do is edit a single word and a phrase can take on a new meaning. They never convey nuances of emphasis, tone of voice or facial expression, so something that might be said jocularly might, when written down, look totally serious and give a new slant to what was said.

Having said that, I don't think she's wrong about Pete not being a stalker. I think Sam gave him enough reasons to investigate her. I liked Sam with Pete, so I'm happy enough that there seems still to be something there.

Madeleine

Comment

I've been over this too many times to resurrect it again, but the short answer is: I have no major issues with what Pete did and I'm not surprised Sam doesn't either. If this is the same interview someone warned me about, however, I'm upset about other things that got said and it does make me think less of the character. Sam is "settling" for Pete? How harsh is that? The more I read the more I'm not sure I wanna see any of Pete's eps. Poor unfortunate b@stard. He deserves someone better than Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
          Seeing that AT makes comments such as these just troubles me because it seems the strong, independent, intelligent Sam I had seen for so many years won't be back to take on pete's behaviour and IMO the character was let down by the writers and Sam' character was sacrificed to a certain degree in the ep with pete (my opinion.)
          I, too, am a fan of the Sam character, but I see her not having a problem with Pete as true to her character(BTW, I'm not that upset by what Pete did, either; maybe Sam and I share the same fatal flaw.)

Consider Sam's upbringing in an all-male household, her father's strong, authoritative personality, her acceptance of the military life with all the accompanying reports, inquests, cameras in every room(even allowing to have her house bugged(Ascension), the physicals she regularly has to submit to - this girl is used to being watched, probed and prodded.

Then there's her ex-fiance: Jonas Hanson was an authoritative, controlling guy. Sam found him to be charming(Pete's charming). Even when she could plainly see how out of touch with reality Jonas had become, Sam couldn't bring herself to do the right thing; she was still under his spell, so to speak.

Jack also exhibits all the traits that are attractive to Sam, but is untouchable in their present situation(and, just my opinion, but though I enjoy seeing the UST when it happens(I enjoy UST for UST's sake "), I think Sam would end up being just as unhappy with Jack if they did get together).

Carter is smart and she is strong, IMO, when it comes to just about anything else in her action/adventure of a life, but I'm just saying that, like it or not, TPTB appear to have made Sam's (poor?) choice in men friends her main character flaw.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

It just seems to me that most Stargate fans are not happy with the storylines. Some people because he's not Jack, some because they feel his actions were inexcusable, some because it doesn't see in line with the Stargate we know and love, some because they don't like Pete-Plot-Point, some because they don't think that these kind of storylines have a place in the Stargate univers,some because they feel that the whole scenario takes away from the Sam character that we grew to love, and some for combinations of all of the above.

I just don't understand why when it seems like such a huge number of people are extremely unhappy with this storyline that they would continue along in the same vein. I realize that some people adore Pete and may be perfectly happy with the last half of season 7 but it seems to me that most aren't. I know that they don't bow to all the wished of the populace but you would think that when a large number of people from every part of the fandom are really unhappy about something that they would take notice. I don't know, I'm starting to get more and more depressed about season 8 and I'm usually a glass half full person. I think that Shadow's pessimism is starting to rub off on me. Although I will still watch every episode with the hope that it will be much better than what the spoilers have indicated, because I love my Stargate and I want it to go out with a bang and not a whimper.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

This is the article, written by Thomasina Gibson in SciFi Magazine:

"SEASON EIGHT OF STARGATE SG-1. WHO KNEW?" says Amanda Tapping. Who knew indeed? As at the end of season five, season six, and season seven, the announcement that a further year would be forthcoming was made well after the show had actually wrapped and the cast were thinking of moving on to new pastures.
              But amid much excitement, a flurry of frantic activity and a shooting schedule that would make a movie director weep, Stargate SG-1 is back for an eighth season. There'll be new baddies, new weapons and a new way of shooting the show- its gone digital. Executive producer Robert C. Cooper's at the helm, the writers have been joined by a couple of new protégés, and the team are determined to make this season the best season ever. Cooper states,
              "We're all very excited about this year. We're basing a lot more stories around the SGC partly because of the economics and also because SG-1 has become less of an exploratory unit and more of a defense. We're looking forward to the challenge of keeping our stories exciting and appealing and as interesting as they always have been from this new perspective."

[snip]

Anderson has no reservations that the dynamic between the members of SG-1 will remain intact. "I'm taking a ligher role this year in order to free some time to devote to other facets of my life, but no matter what happens with regard to our physical locations or what happens in the stories this year, SG-1 will remain a team. We always have been and always will be."
              Last edited by Darren; 26 May 2004, 08:17 AM.

Madeleine

Comment

Thanks Madeleine for posting the article. I've seen bits and pieces here and there but it's nice to see the quotes in context of the whole interview. The quote at the end ("SG-1 will remain a team...We always have been and always will be") may be the best part.

I'm not sure *how* I feel about Sam's story arc in season 8. I'm more interested in Sam's growth as the new leader of SG-1 but AT seems to want Sam to also have some personal development away from her relationship with Jack, to not be seen as "pining" away. (Of course I never really saw her as pining away, but that's just me. ) Whether Pete was introduced in an awkward fashion or not, AT thinks Pete is good for Sam at this point in her life. S/J shippers should be thrilled after reading this, cause I think AT's bit about Sam eventually getting together with Jack *was* a spoiler. It did strike me when I was reading this, that I guess Jack is now the one pining away, waiting in the wings, not getting any action. Poor guy, wish I could help him out!

As for the rest of the bits in the article, more stories at the SGC, the team being more about defense rather than exploration. That doesn't thrill me, I'll admit. On the other hand there *have* been some good episodes that took place at the SGC, "Foothold" being one. All depends on the writing and the execution. I *am* interested to see what the new proteges of the writing team bring to the table.

So I guess I'm going to wait and see how it goes. I hope they haven't pushed things a season too far and I'm not feeling all that optimistic these days (reading these forums will do that to you), but I'm still trying to keep my glass half full. And it's just an article. The end result will be what we see on screen. Whatever happens, I'm anxious for season 8 to begin.
                Last edited by keshou; 26 May 2004, 03:18 AM.
                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Well, that's it then. I have no respect left for the character of Sam at all... and Amanda is starting to lose points, too. Pete isn't the man of Sam's dreams, but he's cute and the sex is good, so she may as well keep him until she can get Jack? How is that OK by ANYONE'S definition? It's shallow, it's callous, it's incredibly self-serving. My god, this is the person who is supposed to be in charge of the SGC's premiere team in S8?? I'm glad I stopped watching when I did.

Has Amanda always supported S/J ship? I could have sworn someone quoted her as saying that she didn't want to be known as "Jack's Girl", but from the interview here and from the hints we've been getting about S8, that's exactly where Sam is headed... But NOW it's OK? Even if she destroys another man's life in the process, even if she plays on his emotions and uses him as a substitute, as long as Sam gets Jack, everything is Happy Shiny. How wonderful.

I think I'm beginning to hate Sam.

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                  I don't know, I'm starting to get more and more depressed about season 8 and I'm usually a glass half full person. I think that Shadow's pessimism is starting to rub off on me.
                  Muahaha. I'm contagious.

As for why TPTB would pursue storylines the fans so obviously hate, well, it's still their show and just because the fans are too stupid to realize the sheer brilliance of their chosen storylines is no reason to back off and try another path.

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel about the article. I think it reads as if AT had power over the show and her character's arc in S8. But nowhere have I read that she can do much more than make suggestions for the direction of the writing. She is the only one talking about her character's personal stuff, and by the same note, I wouldn't read too much into an interview of MS if he talked about Daniel's ascension, or if David Palffy talked about Anubis wearing women's underwear. Unfortunately, we just got interviews of RDA and AT here, so what would be more evident to talk about their two characters? (By all definitions, Carter is IMO not made up of more than being a science geek, a military leader/2IC, and maybe in love with her CO. Most readers of the article are not hardcore fans of the show and can therefore relate best to the relationship stuff, which is why the interview focuses on that aspect).

As long as I don't have proof that the writers are trying to push any specific angle in the show (and not in magazines) that I would be uncomfortable with, I am completely fine with what any actor says.
                    No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                    (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      Has Amanda always supported S/J ship? I could have sworn someone quoted her as saying that she didn't want to be known as "Jack's Girl", but from the interview here and from the hints we've been getting about S8, that's exactly where Sam is headed... But NOW it's OK? Even if she destroys another man's life in the process, even if she plays on his emotions and uses him as a substitute, as long as Sam gets Jack, everything is Happy Shiny. How wonderful.
                      AT *has* been quoted as saying she didn't want to be known as "Jack's Girl". I think that's one reason AT wanted Sam to have a boyfriend, so Sam wasn't seen as pining away for Jack.

She's also said in many interviews and cons that she'd like for Sam to go fishing with Jack at the end of the show (and I presume she knows what "fishing" means in fandom). I think AT is a very nice person who doesn't want to disappoint her fans, many of whom seem to want Sam to get together with Jack.

Pete gives Sam some character development and is probably a setup to help Sam realize she'll only be "happy with Jack". I admit the quotes attributed to AT in this article do make it sound like Sam's just "settling" for boytoy Pete and depending on how they write it, Sam could end up appearing pretty wishy-washy. I'm just going to give her the benefit of the doubt since we haven't seen it play out on screen.

Pete will be fun for Sam, he'll probably be treated nicely, but in the end he's just the "cloying boyfriend".
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                        ...depending on how they write it, Sam could end up appearing pretty wishy-washy.
                        COULD appear wishy-washy?? Sorry Kes, but as far as I'm concerned, she's already there. Maybe I'm just having a bad morning, but that article frankly horrifies me. Yeah, it's Amanda's interpretation of Sam, but A) Amanda IS Sam, and if that's the way she sees it, that's the way she'll play it and B) I've seen nothing from TPTB to indicate that Sam will be acting in any way contrary to what Amanda has said.

We all know that Sam is going to end up with Jack, but does that mean that she can't think for a while that Pete (or anyone else) might not be better? Might not be "the one"? Does it have to resort to her "settling" for second best? I'm having a hard time seeing it as anything other than shallow...

Comment

Thankyou for posting this interesting interview. I'm looking foreward to seeing the
                          journey that Sam and Jack take, interesting slip of info Amanda let out then tried to reel
                          back in!
                          Just a side note, what on earth was Amanda doing having to crawl through a tube without
                          her clothes? Can't wait for the story of that
                          one!
                          ......TARA......

Comment

Nice article, thanks for posting that, Madeleine.
                            "Out of the way it's a busy day, I've got things on my mind." --Pink Floyd

Comment

Hi all:

Yep, taken at face value some of AT's comments come across as shallow and disturbing for Sam. But as a huge Sam fan, I'm taking the wait-and-see approach.

Personally, I love reading SG spoiler bits all over the net and piecing together some kind of total picture. Which I won't get, of course, until the eps start appearing. And yep, I'll watch every one.

For example, when I first heard about the Carter "nekkid" bit, I was appalled, thinking we were gonna' get more Sex and the City Chimera bits.

(Spoilers for Season Eight's "New Order" and "Affinity" ...)

Then I read this article, which says Sam's "crawling out of a tube" which sounds more like an escape situation and more like the Into the Fire bit where Sam's only wearing a sheet (except this time it doesn't sound like Jack's around, which is good) instead of a sex scene. And since the article also says this happens early in the season, I'm thinking it has to do with escaping from Fifth and his torture.

Also regarding Pete coming back, it seems he'll be written as more integral to events than just Sam's love interest AND that he'll be a serious interest (despite some of AT's comments, I'm hoping). Again referring to the spoilers about Fifth, the torture involves him mimicing Pete, and I don't think he'd pick Pete if he didn't find Pete at the forefront when probing Sam's mind.

If Pete's also in Teal'c home-on-earth episode, then he'll be interacting with other SG members and more involved with the team. Great. Hope so.

As a single, 30-something woman myself, I don't like the heavy-handed implication from TPTB that Sam has to have a man -- especially considering there's NONE of that same angst for the male SG-1 members.

But if Sam (and AT who plays her and seems to want her to get some wuv) wants to have a relationship (as Grace seemed to indicate) then great, I hope it works out for her. I just hope she doesn't let it consume her life and make her lose interest in science, astrophysics, the SGC, saving the earth, etc.

hrh
                              Last edited by Darren; 26 May 2004, 08:46 AM. Reason: Spoiler space

Comment

Working...
                              X