This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teyla (is that the right spelling?)

Ok...not to dis the actress...I think she could do a fine job if she was given the correct material. Problem is she isn't given material that really helps her character grow and become easily related to the audience. The last episode ok...we saw a soft side to her...that helped a little...and this week we find out about her having Wraith DNA which could lead to interesting things...but we can't base her characters personality on the events that surround her life. Teal'c's character's personality wasn't based COMPLETELY on his past experiences as a Jaffa...he grew because of the character interaction with his fellow team-mates...that is the key to any good character growth...
    So...here's a question...what would you write in that would help her become a more deep and interesting character if you were in charge of writing?
    Last edited by GhostPoet; 10 March 2005, 10:53 AM.
    It feels good to be alive.
    Cause i've been dead for so long.

It's the right spelling. It's a blend between Brad Wright/General Hammond's Daughters names Kayla and Tessa. As for your actual question, that's a good one, I would keep the leader position she had, and emphasise it, also give her a less of the clueless look she always seems to have at Major Shepperd's actions. It would also help if she actually was able to use those fightinjg skills out and about, instead of just always practicing, although I'm sure that's the plan.

Comment

My main fear is that they're going to build the character around this Wraith crap. At the moment Teyla has no personality, and the only thing we know about her is that she seems to be obsessed with fighting, even though she hadn't acctually done much of it before meeting the Earthlings as I understand it, she doen't really know much about anything, she's pretty much a carbon copy of Ishta, and she's part wraith. Unfortunately, she only has one unique role in the team and that is that she can sense the wraith, which makes her a lot like Teal'c from season 1, except that she isn't as loyal or trusting of the Earthlings, and the character really has no goals or direction, and we pretty much know most of her real backstory. Teal'c acctually had a family, no place else to go, some things we didn't know about him and had the agenda of wanting to free his people from slavery.

Star Trek Reborn

Comment

She needs to be brutally killed. And replaced with Jonas Quinn.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

I get irritated with Teyla always spouting off about how "we need to do what is RIGHT", or "we need to do GOOD", as if our team isn't already trying to do that same thing. Add to the fact that Sheppard is her superior on the team yet she continually questions his actions (he is an Air Force Major for gosh sakes - give him SOME credit). In LFP her emotional tirades towards Sheppard almost compromised their mission and got them both killed. She wants to save HER friends and won't listen to how Sheppard needs to help HIS people (and her own Athosians - whom she seems to have forgotten). I find her more grating each episode.

I'm not sure what TPTB need to do to improve the character. Maybe add some humor? Maybe have her AGREE that the team IS doing good? Maybe she needs to interact more with her own people? Maybe she just needs a good hair cut and a decent wardrobe.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by macktheknife
            ABSOLUTELY ROFLMAO
            That is an awesome post

{but i dont agree with you}
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

I agree...

Star Trek Reborn

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing the wraith DNA become more powerful in her...giving her a big of an anger problem...I think she could pull off angry rather well. And give her a psychological problem..maybe something along the lines of everytime she kills one she saves a bit of herself or everytime she looks in the mirror she sees them and not her (not literally)...Make her despise herself for what she is...but also have a bitterness towards the wraith for doing it.
                I think that could give her some personality to work with...it could lead to a good character episode for her as well.
                She just needs something to make her dark and grittier.
                Last edited by GhostPoet; 10 March 2005, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler
                  It's the right spelling. It's a blend between Brad Wright/General Hammond's Daughters names Kayla and Tessa. As for your actual question, that's a good one, I would keep the leader position she had, and emphasise it, also give her a less of the clueless look she always seems to have at Major Shepperd's actions. It would also help if she actually was able to use those fightinjg skills out and about, instead of just always practicing, although I'm sure that's the plan.
                  Originally posted by Cymro
                  My main fear is that they're going to build the character around this Wraith crap. At the moment Teyla has no personality, and the only thing we know about her is that she seems to be obsessed with fighting, even though she hadn't acctually done much of it before meeting the Earthlings as I understand it, she doen't really know much about anything, she's pretty much a carbon copy of Ishta, and she's part wraith. Unfortunately, she only has one unique role in the team and that is that she can sense the wraith, which makes her a lot like Teal'c from season 1, except that she isn't as loyal or trusting of the Earthlings, and the character really has no goals or direction, and we pretty much know most of her real backstory. Teal'c acctually had a family, no place else to go, some things we didn't know about him and had the agenda of wanting to free his people from slavery.

I agree with both of these posts. And I cracked up at your spelling comment Whistler.

Granted that season one, was the opener, but compare the amount of time spent on exploring Teyla, as a character to others-Weir/McKay/Sheppard.
                  I certainly am frustrated and I fail to understand why there is such a lack of...respect towards her as a character...I mean for Christ sakes, we know more about Bates, than Teyla. I mean seriously, I’ve seen all the eppys and yet we really don’t know much about her.

I do believe that they are going to base Teyla around the whole wraith thing, which sucks big time and personally, is a big no-no. I mean I love the whole wraith DNA thing, in the sense that it’s different to the whole ancient gene….but nevertheless, by exploring it too much it may just ruin the character.

At least Teyla was explored in The Gift…guess I can’t complain much.

We've only seen Teyla fight what the once? And the wraith was stronger than her? Whats up with that?!

TPTB...certainly need to do a lot more and I know its harder than it looks, coming up with plots etc etc but frankly, at the risk of being shot or lynched...I couldn't care less. Like I said we know more about Bates than Teyla!

I believe that TPTB need to do the following:

1-She needs to have a past which just doesn't deal with her and her people being scared of the Wraith, they do need to show her pros as a leader and possible cons as a leader.

2-This idea that the Athosians get on with everyone is absurd. I mean you could be the most kind-hearted, peaceful and loving person alive, but there will be people who can't stand you and possibly hate you...and I believe that that idea should be explored. The Athosians should have enemies.

3-They has to be more bad guys I mean come on its hard to believe that the Wraith are the only bad guys in the galaxy.

4-She is treated like she's stupid and not just in the sense that she questions John's actions, but the way in which she is written in general.
                  Teyla is intellectual, but we don't see that and she has knowlegde...at the end of the day even the most dim-witted person as some kind of knowledge...and yet Teyla isn't portrayed...as knowledgeable or intellectual but she should be.

5- FoolishPleasure, I know what you mean with the whole "we need to do what is RIGHT" and "we need to do GOOD" its a load of crap. I mean what is this Charmed?!! This moto from Teyla has to be wiped out from her memory. She can't be a god two shoes and a fearless? leader at the same time! She has to be one or the other...preferably the leaderness will take over in season two and she won't be thinking too much of the consequences.

My mind has now gone blank....

I mean no dis-respect to no-one, but at the end of the day these are my opinions.

In LFP I can see where Teyla was coming from
                  Spoiler:
                  I mean McKay/Ford/Sheppard were all ready to allow innocent children to die, just so they could have the ZPM to try to get back home...

British-Indian and proud.

Comment

Originally posted by hollyshannensangel
                    I agree with both of these posts. And I cracked up at your spelling comment Whistler.

Granted that season one, was the opener, but compare the amount of time spent on exploring Teyla, as a character to others-Weir/McKay/Sheppard.
                    I certainly am frustrated and I fail to understand why there is such a lack of...respect towards her as a character...I mean for Christ sakes, we know more about Bates, than Teyla. I mean seriously, I’ve seen all the eppys and yet we really don’t know much about her.

I do believe that they are going to base Teyla around the whole wraith thing, which sucks big time and personally, is a big no-no. I mean I love the whole wraith DNA thing, in the sense that it’s different to the whole ancient gene….but nevertheless, by exploring it too much it may just ruin the character.

At least Teyla was explored in The Gift…guess I can’t complain much.

We've only seen Teyla fight what the once? And the wraith was stronger than her? Whats up with that?!

TPTB...certainly need to do a lot more and I know its harder than it looks, coming up with plots etc etc but frankly, at the risk of being shot or lynched...I couldn't care less. Like I said we know more about Bates than Teyla!

I believe that TPTB need to do the following:

1-She needs to have a past which just doesn't deal with her and her people being scared of the Wraith, they do need to show her pros as a leader and possible cons as a leader.

2-This idea that the Athosians get on with everyone is absurd. I mean you could be the most kind-hearted, peaceful and loving person alive, but there will be people who can't stand you and possibly hate you...and I believe that that idea should be explored. The Athosians should have enemies.

3-They has to be more bad guys I mean come on its hard to believe that the Wraith are the only bad guys in the galaxy.

4-She is treated like she's stupid and not just in the sense that she questions John's actions, but the way in which she is written in general.
                    Teyla is intellectual, but we don't see that and she has knowlegde...at the end of the day even the most dim-witted person as some kind of knowledge...and yet Teyla isn't portrayed...as knowledgeable or intellectual but she should be.

5- FoolishPleasure, I know what you mean with the whole "we need to do what is RIGHT" and "we need to do GOOD" its a load of crap. I mean what is this Charmed?!! This moto from Teyla has to be wiped out from her memory. She can't be a god two shoes and a fearless? leader at the same time! She has to be one or the other...preferably the leaderness will take over in season two and she won't be thinking too much of the consequences.

My mind has now gone blank....

I mean no dis-respect to no-one, but at the end of the day these are my opinions.

In LFP I can see where Teyla was coming from
                    Spoiler:
                    I mean McKay/Ford/Sheppard were all ready to allow innocent children to die, just so they could have the ZPM to try to get back home...
                    Great comments!

All tho I am actually looking forward to them exploring her Wraith DNA more. I think it could be expanded to include a great deal of emotional variety for her.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
                      I wouldn't mind seeing the wraith DNA become more powerful in her...giving her a big of an anger problem...I think she could pull off angry rather well. And give her a psychological problem..maybe something along the lines of everytime she kills one she saves a bit of herself or everytime she looks in the mirror she sees them and not her (not literally)...Make her despise herself for what she is...but also have a bitterness towards the wraith for doing it.
                      I think that could give her some personality to work with...it could lead to a good character episode for her as well.
                      She just needs something to make her dark and grittier.
                      A darker side to her would be great...oh that could be my number 6 and it will be......
                      6-darker side to Teyla...would be interesting especially how she's a don't go breakin' the rules kinda woman. I wonder if she'd break the rules for Elizabeth? *huge sly grin*

If you all wanna see changes to Teyla...nice changes we should pitch in ideas...and send them to Brad Wright and Robert Cooper. I'd like to send of my above ideas why not? Weir is going to be one of 'em lol...not that they'll use that idea, but stranger things have happened.
                      Last edited by hollyshannensangel; 10 March 2005, 02:49 PM.

British-Indian and proud.

Comment

Good comments Holly!

What I've found is that TPTB have made Teyla appealing to the younger crowd but obnoxious to the older fans. I posted this elsewhere but will partially repeat it - the "students" or early 20' somethings see her as noble and standing up for her rights. Older fans have been out in the world and have had to deal with life experiences that show you how naive that thinking is. I see Teyla dishing out emotional blackmail/mental abuse when she accuses our team of not wanting to help children/her friends. Of course we do! Sheppard does not want to leave people behind. .but he HAS to to preserve Atlantis. Teyla gets snitty with him and accuses him of not caring. Talk about a guilt trip. Sorry, that is the real world at war dear Teyla - "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

In my opinion, Teyla would have had a much better "education" if Sheppard HAD left her friends behind - it might have opened the door for some real character development. He almost got killed caving in to her "pushing" - where would that have left ALL of them?

I'm not sure about the Wraith DNA thing. "Somewhere out there" I've heard rumors that the Wraith are not going to be the ultimate enemy anyway. Then what do we do with poor Teyla?

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by macktheknife

I concur, except a tragic death would be more fitting
                          FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                            Good comments Holly!

What I've found is that TPTB have made Teyla appealing to the younger crowd but obnoxious to the older fans. I posted this elsewhere but will partially repeat it - the "students" or early 20' somethings see her as noble and standing up for her rights. Older fans have been out in the world and have had to deal with life experiences that show you how naive that thinking is. I see Teyla dishing out emotional blackmail/mental abuse when she accuses our team of not wanting to help children/her friends. Of course we do! Sheppard does not want to leave people behind. .but he HAS to to preserve Atlantis. Teyla gets snitty with him and accuses him of not caring. Talk about a guilt trip. Sorry, that is the real world at war dear Teyla - "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

In my opinion, Teyla would have had a much better "education" if Sheppard HAD left her friends behind - it might have opened the door for some real character development. He almost got killed caving in to her "pushing" - where would that have left ALL of them?

I'm not sure about the Wraith DNA thing. "Somewhere out there" I've heard rumors that the Wraith are not going to be the ultimate enemy anyway. Then what do we do with poor Teyla?
                            Excuse me, I'm 18 and I don't buy her line about doing what is "good" and "Right" all the time. They aren't exactly left with many options. I can understand Weir saying this because of the life she's lived and she isn't military but Teyla is someone who's lived a horrid life to some extent, right? With the Wraith fear and for someone who has lived like that to be saying such things makes her the most naive <which I don't buy> person in the universe. I mean, I first thought she was cautious and reserved.

I would like to see her Wraith DNA developed a bit. Maybe make it so that it has an effect on her mental mind state. It might be like it creates a chemical imbalance in her being and so she has these polar personalities. The more stress there is, the more violent she becomes but if she's safe then she doesn't want to act. I don't know for sure, but that's what it seems like.

But still, in the end, she comes off as naive and that doesn't work.
                            'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Im_just_guessing
                              I concur, except a tragic death would be more fitting
                              Except that there would be nothing tragic about it...

Yeah, I'm 18 too and my hate has been growing since way back when I was 17...

Star Trek Reborn

Comment

Working...
                              X