This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr.Who 2005 Thread

Thought this epic deserved a thread of its own. So if people have seen the first ep "Rose" yet, what did you think of it?
    I enjoyed it personally, but I am curious to see how people enjoyed it when comparing it to the other seasons.

Is it much different? I hear there are some continuity errors...

On the whole, I enjoyed "Rose" very much, but not so much that I can't tell that it was uneven, and some bits just plain didn't work.

What works:

Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. He was brilliant. A bit of a walking mood swing, but utterly brilliant. He's entusiastic, enigmatic and enrgetic... everything a Doctor should be. I look forward to seeing him settle into the role and really run with it.

Billie Piper as Rose. She's a very effective actress, not to mention curvy and beautiful. I like that Rose isn't a shrinking violet, and that she played an active role in the story's conclusion. I'm not sure I know Rose that well yet, but I think it'll be a lot of fun getting to know her.

The chemistry between the Doctor and Rose. They play off of each other very well, and their is some very definite attraction going on there, both ways. About time.

The TARDIS, inside and out, and the way you can see the inside from the outside.

The new Sonic Screwdriver, and the Doctor's new Wardrobe (though I still think he's been raiding Angel's closet).

The dialogue is quite sharp, and at times pretty funny.

What didn't work:

Noel Clarke as Mickey. He played his role much to broadly, like a simple cartoon, mugging for the camera in every seen and simpering like a moron. His performance as the Auton copy of Mickey is just flat out embarrassing.

The burp.

The music. The music in "Rose" is just flat out appalling. It's just ignorable at the best of times, but totally intrusive at the worst, completely dispelling any tension in many of the Auton moments. Terrible, terrible music.

The pacing was a little frenetic, and the story comes off Rushed... but this really couldn't be helped... pilot episodes usually are... too much to establish in too little time. So, I can forgive this one.

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

I loved it... All of the quirky charm and camp of the classic series has been injected into the modern world. Fantastic!

The ep. did have it's faults, but it was so much fun that they are easy to ignore.

Best Scenes...

(1) The Doctor's "That's who I am" speech.
      (2) Clive's warning to Rose about the Doctor
      (3) Rose's first entrance into the TARDIS
      (4) Rose not knowing what a Police Box was (and the Doctor's giddy "It's a disguise!")

Definantly, a fun romp. Hopefully, later episodes will deal with more dramatic themes... but I thought this was a fun way to kick-start the series.

Comment

I thought it was brilliant. Christopher Eccleston just works so well as the Doctor, he's great. I was very surprised by Billy Piper....she can act.
        It's nice to see that it hasn't lost any of the quirkiness you expect from Doctor Who. (Putting out my wheelie bin this morning put a smile on my face)

Comment

i am suffering a mighty case of envy right now!
          Thanks!
          Jordan

my page
          My LJ
          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I haven't saw it yet, but I want to. I've actually never seen any of the other doctor whos so I'd like to see some of them aswell. I was a bit doubtful about Billie Piper being in this one, but people seem to be giving positive feedback about her so I'll giver her a chance

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman

What didn't work:

Noel Clarke as Mickey. He played his role much to broadly, like a simple cartoon, mugging for the camera in every seen and simpering like a moron. His performance as the Auton copy of Mickey is just flat out embarrassing.

The burp.

The music. The music in "Rose" is just flat out appalling. It's just ignorable at the best of times, but totally intrusive at the worst, completely dispelling any tension in many of the Auton moments. Terrible, terrible music.

-IMF
              Yey!! Someone else who thought the music was terrible! It was just terrible beyond worse.. Worse than the 1980's synthesised stuff we used to get!! Urk please take it away soon.. someone please..? Music is supposed to enhance and be unobtrusive and it was plain irritating and ruined it alot..

Mickey and the mother were really awful too. They should have worn T shirts saying "yes I know I'm a characature... "

I'm willing to forgive the creakiness of the new show.. and give it a go... but they have to ditch the music... please...

Comment

I have to agree about the music being distracting, everytime I heard it I couldn't stop thinking about Austin Powers.

Comment

Haven't read this thread, being spoilerphobe. But if anyone here has been doing that shocking and illegal thing that we don't mention then please could I ask you a question?

Is it suitable for a four-year-old? He's bright enough to follow Atlantis (asking a *lot* of questions, mind you) but he's not had much exposure to gory stuff or sexual stuff and i'm not ready to start letting him yet. Cheers

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                    Haven't read this thread, being spoilerphobe. But if anyone here has been doing that shocking and illegal thing that we don't mention then please could I ask you a question?

Is it suitable for a four-year-old? He's bright enough to follow Atlantis (asking a *lot* of questions, mind you) but he's not had much exposure to gory stuff or sexual stuff and i'm not ready to start letting him yet. Cheers
                    No sexual stuff I can recall. My youngest watched and it creeped her out a little bit. Its not really gory...hmm how to put this without spoiling???? There' s some scenes where everyday items take on a slightly more sinister role...

It's just like I remember it as a kid, fun with a little bit of creepiness thrown in. I didn't find it creepy at all but I can imagine some kids will.

Comment

Cheers. I expect he'll be okay if I stay with him.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W

Madeline, "Rose" is a wholly bloodless and largely chaste affair. Deaths are implied but never seen. There's no sex either, beyond a few brief throwaway jokes, and the obvious chemistry between Rose and the Doctor. If I had a kid, I'd let him watch it. IF he has no problem with Atlantis, this is fine. Russel T. Davies, the producer is specifically gearing this as a "Family Show".

-IMF
                        "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                        "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Were the special effects finished for this show? I know its not due out yet for a few weeks and heard the effects were unfinished. I couldn't tell if they were, or if they had just gone for a retro look with them.

Comment

I'm a little surprised that some of you have seen it... according to the official website it says that the BBC will broadcast it in 11 days???

I was having some doubts about the whole leather look but feel slightly better now that I've read some of your comments.

Can't wait!
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

From what I've heard the ep that is being downloaded was not finished so I hope that the reason the sound and special effects may not be to scratch is the fact that they are last to do and so likely not 100% yet. It also may explain why it appears rushed as it may not be the final cut. I'm not too optimistic myself

Comment

Working...
                              X