This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal Review of "The Alliance" trailer

I know some people (most actually) loved the trailer, but I'm just not seeing it. I make trailer videos for HL2 mods(including a Stargate mod), so I've seen just about everything. So here is what I thought of it:

Video quality: 8.0

Not bad on the quality, but when you run it in fullscreen, it gets blurred up a bit. Plus I didn't really like how they chopped part of the bottom and top off of the screen just to put in the name.

Content: 6.5

Too short in my opinion. This could have been longer and more exciting, but it wasn't all that much for me. We only see one weapon and it was really quick.

Audio: 9.0

I was expecting them to have a cheezy song from either the series or the movie, but I was actually quite suprised with the music score and I throughly enjoyed it. I think we will be in for a real treat when the game comes out. It is original, but it still manages to fit well with the Stargate theme.

Now onto taking you through each scene:

The opening scene with the fog and pine tress was quite good. Finially the trees look real and not like 6 planes just stuck together. The fog looked good and how it should be. The snowy terrain I'm not liking that much. It looks too shiny an linear without much of a realistic texture. It would be fine for ice, but not snow.

The clip with the 'gate spinning and it looks like something Ancient in the background was executed perfectly. It looks like an extremely high polygon 'gate though, so I doubt that will be the one in the game. That one is just for show.

The pan on the outpost of Tartarus was pretty cool. I like the erupting lava in the background. That was a good extra. The particle scattering effect seems a bit extreme in this shot, so much so that you can barely see the whole structure. In "Evolution Part 2", the entire structure was visible in one shot. This is not the video's fault, its the engine's inability to render long distances. what can I really say about this but you have to remember they are using a 4 year old engine that is not up to par with some of today's high end games. *shrugs* Eh, whatever. Also the volcanic rocks on the side of the passage did not look like natural rocks to me, I know they are supposed to be volcanic, but trust me, I've seen volcanic rock before, and that ain't it. Plus if you will look closely, you will see that the Stargate is outside the main complex. In the show, it was on the inside. Design error. also the back of the 'gate has the chevrons that light up. That isn't right, the back of the Stargate has the chevron "lights" the same color as the 'gate. Another design error.

The first scene with the Jaffa approaching the throne was good. I really like what they've done with the character models. They look fantastic. Look closely and you will see that he has a red light on the back of his helment. I'm not sure what of make of that one. I'm not really impressed with the fire animations, I think they can be improved.

The glider flyover was pretty good and there wasn't all that much I can find wrong with it except for the explosion down at the bottom. It just didn't seem realistic to me compared to some of the other games I've played.

The scene with the glider flying over the pyramids is the first glipse we catch of a weapon. The angle of the pyramids is all off. At the engle they are presently in, their construction would not be possible. Why can't it be the 51'50 degrees that is on the pryamids at Giza? The water and the palm trees look decent enough. The P-90 looks kinda crummy. I can see it has a laser, good, now where's the flashlight? I've seen better quality weapon models even in the HL1 engine. This is supposed to be more advanced and its supposed to be single player so they don't have to worry about lag. The Glider preforms as expected.

See above notes on the Stargate.

and again we see the Jaffa approaching the throne again. Not too much here.

The Prometherus descending was really cool, but as you can see, the particle effect is extrememly bad here. I just think that is the scattering was intentional, it went a little too overboard.

Now we finially get to see a good clip of the gate in action. I noticed several things though. The animation is wrong. It locks in a glyph while the inner track is still revolving. There is at least half a second between when the inner track stops and the glyph is locked in. I also think they modeled the chevron wrong. It is not wide enough at the top, so it looks like it got squeexed in on either end. This can be easily fixed.

The last part was pretty cool. I still don't know what the red lights are on the Jaffa though. They've got me on those.

All in all, I'd say it was decent, but it could have been better. They seriously need to fix some models though. But these should be easy for them.

It looked like it was a first person shooter game (i haven't read anything about what kind of game this is, so yah) which did look interesting. I liked the scenary, very sexy, haha...
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

i liked it, short but it just leaves you wanting more
      Oneil: You ended the sentence in a preposition, you ba$tard!

Comment

Originally posted by Elwe Singollo
        It looked like it was a first person shooter game (i haven't read anything about what kind of game this is, so yah) which did look interesting. I liked the scenary, very sexy, haha...
        Aye, 'tis a First Person Shooter.

Although, that short pic of the P90 in action looked weird. It looked like it was being held with only one hand (meaning NOT the traditional "stable" hand in front to hold it down for recoil)

I wouldn't call this a trailer, I'd call it a teaser. If you stretch my limits of acceptance: a commercial.

But it being a teaser or a commercial works fine since it's the first video released for a game. (a whole 35 MB of a trailer, too....)
        Enter my game site...

Comment

Yeah, late 2005 means it's still an early build. I wouldn't worry about the graphics too much, although I do agree, I wasn't impressed much with the P90 sprites. Then again, i've been spoiled with Rainbow Six 3, Joint Operations, and Far Cry(they all have great P90 animations and performance).
          "When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro."-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Baltar for President.

Comment

Even Counter Strike 1.5 had decent P90 spread and recoil.

I'm expecting something more than that, at the least. (at least the mesh was very detailed)
            Enter my game site...

Comment

Working...
            X