This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why the ancients lost the war

well, what if the ancients never conducted any offensive operations in their war with the wraith.

best way to lose a war. never going on the attack. aways defending.

any other ideas are welcome.

There is another thread out about this and it is here.

Comment

In "Before I Sleep" it was said that the Ancients sent a fleet of their most powerful warships to fight the Wraith, and they lost. So they were offensive at least in the beginning.
      MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

or they didnt havent got good tactical advances against the wraith

Make no Mistake... Osiris will return... and the rivers of the earth wil run red in blood

Comment

They could have defended atlantis indefinately but couldn't be bothered anymore
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
            They could have defended atlantis indefinately but couldn't be bothered anymore
            as said in the seige and before i sleep, they could win any better but there was just too many of them and they saw no way to win the war.
            come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

It was a numbers game.

Wraith vs. Ancients

458765498674 to 1.

"Thats O'Neill with TWO L's!"
              *Jack holds up three fingers*
              ------------------------------
              Anubis' Jaffa: "No matter what you've previously endured. You have no idea what Anubis is capable of."
              Jack: "You ended that sentence with a preposition..... Bastard!"

Comment

They definately WERE out numbered BUT: They were also far too cocky to even put a dent in the wraiths numbers. If they would have set traps, ambushed attack through the gate AND in ship they might have done ok..
                They never really had to worry about getting wiped out because they probably were never faced with an enemy that is as advanced or even more advanced.. I believe that that is what the atlantis exedition has in their favor. They can scrap for a victory. they dont believe that they can easily win.
                I am JJ, the Supreme Commander of the Furling Fleet!!!!

Comment

also the fact that their was a deadly plague attacking the ancients...

Comment

or maybe the havent got much ships because of the plague many ancients have ascendent to the higher plane and there werent many others left

Make no Mistake... Osiris will return... and the rivers of the earth wil run red in blood

Comment

I thought it was said in Before I Sleep that the Ancients sent out a fleet to try to negotiate peace with the Wraith.
                      "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                      'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                      Individuality is freedom lived.
                      'Janis Joplin'

Comment

What i cant figure out is why the Ancients didnt build some kind of droid army? or maybe a clone army? I still think that the gene splicing machine from the ep with Nirti and Jonas will play a role in a future storyline, i dont think it will be to do with ascension, perhaps this will be the basis of the SPOILER modifications made to Lt. Ford, Im still musing all the reasons why the Wraith would intentionally engineer humans to feed off them??? crossbreeding?

If the Ancients were so advanced (and i appreciate that they may not have the same warlike MO as us) how they didnt simply devise a way to totally anihilate the Wraith, some kind of weapon that would totally decimate them, actually come to think of it why didnt they use the weapon from threads and configure it to kill only wraith? maybe they hadnt invented it yet?
                        We are the Wraith who say NI!!!

Comment

Atlantis1: They sent the negotiators along with the fleet, but the Wraith attacked them and there was a huge uber battle, which the Wraith one. And after that first giant battle it was only a matter of time before the Wraith would destroy the Ancients.
                          MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

A bit like the battle of Jutland, where the German fleet gave as good as they got, but the British won by a slight margin... let's put it this way, the German fleet stayed in port for the rest of WWI (until they mutinied that is)
                            We are the Wraith who say NI!!!

Comment

I like Norcaljj's point. It could have been a long enough of time since the ancients had to work for their victories that maybe they has a culture had forgotten how to really fight. Add that they may have spent too much effort and resources defending an area larger than they could adequetly cover out of an unwillingness to sacrifice worlds and you could have a very large disadvantage.

Comment

Working...
                              X