This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the Ancients speak Ancient?

We know from both "Fifth Race" and "The Lost City" that the Ancients had their own language, similar to Latin. So why did the Ancients speak English when Dr. Weir went back in time in "Before I Sleep", instead of their own language?

In effort to keep everyone happy and not just say "Because then their couldnt be a story!! They need to speak english for things to make sense!"

Not so! Weir is fluent in Latin! Therefore, we can conclude that the Ancients spoke a more modern dialect of Ancient, essentially Latin, and Weir understood them. And since everyone in the show was speaking Latin, and we the viewers dont all understand Latin, the the TV translator translated for us, so we didnt have to read subtitles all the time. But they WERE actually speaking Latin/Ancient!

Ta da!
    FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

they used the translator

As hoped, the lost city is indeed a treasure trove of advanced technology, which includes such things as a universal translation device. Each team member travelling off-world receives one, which is capable of instantly translating virtually any language encountered.

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/universe.shtml
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Halling spoke Ancient (quasi-Latin) in "Hide And Seek" when he prayed to the Ancestors. I think they spoke real Ancient in "Before I Sleep" but it was dubbed into English for the audience (much like O'Neill "speaks" German here on TV although he is of course American). We know Weir can speak/understand Ancient ("Hide And Seek" again) so I just pretend they spoke Ancient and everything makes sense.
        No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
        (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

All planets in stargate speak english just so it doesn't take 10 minutes in each ep for daniel or someone else to figure out what they're speaking and people don't have to read subtitles the whole time
          Oneil: You ended the sentence in a preposition, you ba$tard!

Comment

There's an interesting theory to this in one of the fan fic books. It says that when a traveller travels through the stargate it gives them the ability to understand any language stored in the stargate's buffer. Not sure how this works, but still... A good theory if you ask me.
            WEIR: I'm still trying to understand, how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony

MCKAY: Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried.

SHEPPARD: I shot him.... In the leg.

WEIR:

Comment

They all spoke Ancient.

However, Old Weir was recalling a story for the SGA team and therefore she translated what was said into English to simplify her story.

The flashback did not show what happened, but what Weir was telling them. Janus could have really been wearing a tropical pink collared shirt with a pimp'd bling bling and Weir could have thought it was foolish and said he was wearing some spacey Tok-ra-ish creme thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Calicto
                They all spoke Ancient.

However, Old Weir was recalling a story for the SGA team and therefore she translated what was said into English to simplify her story.

The flashback did not show what happened, but what Weir was telling them. Janus could have really been wearing a tropical pink collared shirt with a pimp'd bling bling and Weir could have thought it was foolish and said he was wearing some spacey Tok-ra-ish creme thing.
                Pimp'd bling bling?

Although, I COULD see Janus as a pimp. Probably not good bussieness once the Wraith showed, but hey. Nothing lasts forever!

Ahem. Yes. I think it was a combo of the two main veiws here. I think it was in English because, hey, I failed Latin, and also because it was her recoletion.

I also think they dressed so boring because Weir had 10,000 years to forget what they were wearing. Could'a been a tropcal pink shirt. The old guy probably had a green one, though. He was uptight.

Comment

Originally posted by Calicto
                  They all spoke Ancient.

Old Weir was wearing the same uniform that all the ancients were wearing.
                  Spoiler:
                  Life isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Comment

i argree pretty much everything said, before i read this, i sorda thought the ancients could speek english, btw does anyone find it strange that the (ancient) ROMANS from ITALY spoke LATIN? I always found that strange, woudnt they speek roman? or even italien, and one more thing, who decided to call the ancients the ancients? thats not the most creative name ive ever heard

wow i got off topic abit
                    Executive 1:Uh O! Our ratings are -9
                    Executive 2:What could be so bad to do that to the greatest network in the universe?
                    Executive1:It's gotta be that dang star-fence show
                    Executive2: I say we cancel it!
                    Executive1:OR we could make a movie so awsome, everyone will love it!
                    Executive 2: but what about what happend last time sir?
                    Executive 1: O yes,NOTE TO SELF never make a movie that has somone with a lawyer...damn vampires
                    Executive 2: How about walrus's?
                    Executive 1:GENIUS!, but for extra zing will make it possed by alien ghost cowboys. It could be in Las Vegas, with zombies
                    Executive 2:Lawyers Sir
                    Executive 1: DAMN
                    Executive 2: stereo-type canadians?
                    Executive 1: PERFECT! but were gonna need a star.
                    Executive 2: let's use an actor from Sungate
                    Executive 1:Id use the guy with bling on his head but his last name is judge, they scare me
                    Executive 2:Will just kidnap and brainwash a model..again
                    Executive 1: WE ARE GODS!

Comment

Originally posted by dude22
                      i argree pretty much everything said, before i read this, i sorda thought the ancients could speek english, btw does anyone find it strange that the (ancient) ROMANS from ITALY spoke LATIN? I always found that strange, woudnt they speek roman? or even italien, and one more thing, who decided to call the ancients the ancients? thats not the most creative name ive ever heard

wow i got off topic abit
                      they called themselves Ancients. "The Fifth Race" the inscription said Nu Ani Anquiatus which tranlates as "We are the Ancients"

as for the romans, there were three groups of people that came together ands became the people that became know as Romans and one of the groups were the Latins, the hill people from the area around where the coty of Roman would be built. and the Latins spoke-------Latin! so thats where it comes from.

Comment

Do the English speak English?

(of course a better question would be: Do the Americans speak english?)

As to Before I sleep. It for the same reason all the aliens speak english. They don;t have time for long translations on a 42 minute show.

Myabe the ancients have a universal translater?
                        sigpic
                        Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                          they used the translator

As hoped, the lost city is indeed a treasure trove of advanced technology, which includes such things as a universal translation device. Each team member travelling off-world receives one, which is capable of instantly translating virtually any language encountered.

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/universe.shtml
                          Gateworld is not canon. Where's the evidence for this in SG: Atlantis?

Also it would not apply in the case of Before I Sleep as weir wasn't on Atlantis long enough to find said device.
                          sigpic
                          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                            Gateworld is not canon. Where's the evidence for this in SG: Atlantis?

Also it would not apply in the case of Before I Sleep as weir wasn't on Atlantis long enough to find said device.
                            the information about the tranlotor is information from like two years ago and the whole tranlator thing was dropped before the show even went into production. but gateworld is usually prety good about being canonacol

Comment

it could be like the tollans where they both speak english except they use different letters to represent the language, i thinks thats how it went

"Are you trying to tell me that you...built a time machine, out of a Delorean"- Marty Mcfly

Comment

Working...
                              X