PDA

View Full Version : Thirty-Eight Minutes

GateGipsy
April 30th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Not much on this episode yet, apart from a guest star. But to keep an eye out for any spoilers that might pop up, click HERE (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/1x1.shtml)

THIRTY-EIGHT MINUTES
http://www.gateworld.net/graphics/clear.gif
EPISODE NUMBER -
ORIGINAL AIR DATE -
WRITTEN BY -
DIRECTED BY -
GUEST STARRING - David Nykl (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Nykl,+David) (Dr. Zelenka)

Teal'c
May 1st, 2004, 01:23 AM
Someone suggested that this episode might play ut in real time, seeing as episodes are normally 42 minutes long. I think they could pull that off, but nobody would care as they'd all be screaming "24 Ripoff!!!" :P

Ugly Pig
May 1st, 2004, 04:25 AM
But surely 24 is not the only nor the first show to have episodes played out in real time?

Teal'c
May 1st, 2004, 04:58 AM
No, but that won't stop people from complaining :P

Major Clanger
May 1st, 2004, 05:05 AM
No, but that won't stop people from complaining :P
some people are never happy unless they're complaining... you should moan, answering them gives you something to do!
:p

GateGipsy
May 1st, 2004, 08:12 AM
some people are never happy unless they're complaining
hey, Shadow can't help it ...

**runs off and hides before Shadow finds her**

Teal'c
May 1st, 2004, 09:40 AM

I'll protect you! :P

Anyway, this episode, I'm hoping, will feature McKay saving the day, instead of Sam :D

ShadowMaat
May 1st, 2004, 01:23 PM

Ha! I'll get you, Gipsy, and you're little dog, too! *cackles evilly*

Anyway, this is a McKay ep, so I'm not likely to be complaining... immediately. ;) And isn't 38 minutes the max amount of time a wormhole will stay active? Will be curious to see how that correlates.

If it's gonna rip off anything, it'll probably be the ep 48 Hours, which ALSO featured McKay. What a strange coincidence... hehe

So there. No complaints. Yet. Just an observation... :p

ShadowMaat
May 1st, 2004, 01:27 PM
But surely 24 is not the only nor the first show to have episodes played out in real time?

There was a movie... I forget the name, but it played out in realtime, too. About a man whose daughter is kidnapped and the bad guys tell him if he wants to see her alive again, he'll assassinate some political bigwig. He's given detailed instructions about what to do and runs around the city trying to get everything done AND find a way to rescue his daughter before he's forced to pull the trigger. It probably wasn't the first use of realtime in movies/TV, but it predates 24 and it was still interesting to watch.

Teal'c
May 1st, 2004, 03:28 PM

Anyway, this is a McKay ep, so I'm not likely to be complaining... immediately. ;) And isn't 38 minutes the max amount of time a wormhole will stay active? Will be curious to see how that correlates.

If it's gonna rip off anything, it'll probably be the ep 48 Hours, which ALSO featured McKay. What a strange coincidence... hehe

Ah, but the one important difference is that McKay will save the day this time! :P

ShadowMaat
May 1st, 2004, 03:44 PM
Ah, but the one important difference is that McKay will save the day this time! :P

Yay for McKay! He deserves some goodness to happen to him. Don't want his head getting TOO swelled or he'll start looking like you, but an occasional victory can only be a good thing. :p

aAnubiSs
May 1st, 2004, 05:02 PM
Yay for McKay! He deserves some goodness to happen to him. Don't want his head getting TOO swelled or he'll start looking like you, but an occasional victory can only be a good thing. :p

McKay don't need snake to consider himself a god! :)

ShadowMaat
May 1st, 2004, 05:06 PM
McKay don't need snake to consider himself a god! :)

McKay IS a god! :p It's just "of what" that's at question...

Teal'c
May 1st, 2004, 05:21 PM
...annoying Luke? :P

Wow, your two favourite characters are archnemesises :P

ShadowMaat
May 1st, 2004, 06:24 PM
Wow, your two favourite characters are archnemesises :P

*sigh* Yes, it's a twisted, twisted thing. And yet... I even love their hatred of each other. Or at least Luke's hatred of McKay. As far as Wodney's concerned, Luke is just a pathetic peon, utterly beneath notice and already forgotten. ...That may be his downfall. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/scorchio/sevil.gif

Nolamom
May 20th, 2004, 12:17 AM
There was a movie... I forget the name, but it played out in realtime, too. ... It probably wasn't the first use of realtime in movies/TV, but it predates 24 and it was still interesting to watch.

Actually, the very first movie to play out in real time is "High Noon" starring Gary Cooper. Very revolutionary at the time.
Nmom

Anthro Girl
May 20th, 2004, 12:29 AM
I think the real time movie you mention is Nick of Time with Johnny Depp and Christopher Walken. It was done in 1995.

I'm hoping the title just refers to the time a wormhole can remain open (without Anubis or a naquadria bomb, that is). The episodes are about 42 minutes in length on the DVD, including opening credits, but on SciFi they run an hour. If they try to run it in "real time", which time would they choose? I've never watched 24. Did they account for commercial time during broadcast or on the DVD? ;)

Champos
May 20th, 2004, 01:44 AM
I've never watched 24. Did they account for commercial time during broadcast or on the DVD? ;)

Yes they did, because when we watched it in UK the episodes were only 45 minutes or something. They didn't bother changing it to 18 hours though for some reason...

Tok'Ra Hostess
May 20th, 2004, 06:17 AM
The episodes are about 42 minutes in length on the DVD, including opening credits, but on SciFi they run an hour.

Uh,... I'm confused - not that that's unusual or anything "/. Surely the eps run about 42 minutes on SciFi, not 60 minutes?

Sheesh! I wish they were 60 min. long. Maybe then the stories wouldn't always feel so rushed. :(

It would work out well in real-time: 3 1/2 minutes to set up the plot in the intro, 38 minutes during which the Gate is active, and 30 seconds at the end of the ep for resolution, kisses & hugs and a pat on the back(or a kick in the pants) = 42 minutes.

ShadowMaat
May 20th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Uh,... I'm confused - not that that's unusual or anything "/. Surely the eps run about 42 minutes on SciFi, not 60 minutes?

Yes, eps on SCIFI are about 40-something minutes long, the rest of the time is wasted on commercials.

Ugly Pig
May 20th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Wasted? But... Without TV commercials, how would we know what to buy or if our bodies look good enough? :S

Tok'Ra Hostess
May 20th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Men everywhere might forget to take their pills....

Teal'c
May 20th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Friends also did an episode in real-time, Season 3 Episode 2, The One Where Nobody's Ready.

StargateSara
May 20th, 2004, 07:43 AM

I think it's very obvious that the 38 minutes is related to the max time a wormhole can remain established and maintained. It never occurred to me that it could be anything else until I read this thread. 38 Minutes is way too exact to mean anything else. Maybe the new Stargate (Atlantis) has different rules, maybe we assume that it only stays open for 38 minutes, and it has more (or less) capabilities than our current Stargate. I would be really surprised if the title referred to anything else. JMO

Anthro Girl
May 20th, 2004, 12:30 PM

I didn't mean to confuse anyone, sorry! Of course I meant that *if* a television episode were to play out in "real time", would they choose the 42 minutes of the episode runtime or would they choose the 60 minutes of the broadcast runtime and refer to action that takes place off-screen for the 3-4 minutes of commercials? If they chose to track 60 minutes, the effect would be lost (I think) on a DVD. If they chose to track 42 minutes, it wouldn't work on broadcast. I'm probably not making any sense at all and this has nothing to do with the idea of this episode. :D

If you've ever watched a real-time movie like Nick of Time or Timecode, it is interesting, but if you pause it or stop and come back later, you lose the effect of the passage of time.

Teal'c
May 20th, 2004, 03:19 PM
I didn't mean to confuse anyone, sorry! Of course I meant that *if* a television episode were to play out in "real time", would they choose the 42 minutes of the episode runtime or would they choose the 60 minutes of the broadcast runtime and refer to action that takes place off-screen for the 3-4 minutes of commercials? If they chose to track 60 minutes, the effect would be lost (I think) on a DVD. If they chose to track 42 minutes, it wouldn't work on broadcast. I'm probably not making any sense at all and this has nothing to do with the idea of this episode. :D

If you've ever watched a real-time movie like Nick of Time or Timecode, it is interesting, but if you pause it or stop and come back later, you lose the effect of the passage of time.
If they do it all straight through for 42 minutes, it still makes sense with ad breaks. Are you saying you've never watching a show where no time passes during the ads? :P That's what sucks about 24, nothing EVER happens during the same short periods of time every hour :P (And of course all revelations have to occur just before the hour :P)

May 20th, 2004, 04:09 PM
i think you all went WAY OFFTOPIC....the ep is prolly gonna be about how long they can hold gate connected to one destination...may be they opened a gate back to earth and have only 38 minutes before it closes....so they gotta do stuff...

ShadowMaat
May 20th, 2004, 04:26 PM
You could always drive everyone COMPLETELY nuts and factor in the commercial breaks so that things happen during the breaks and the audience misses them. :D

As for on topic, yeah, it's gotta be the wormhole thing. But there has to be some kind of twist to it. First off, how do you get a wormhole to stay open for 38 minutes, anyway? Is that if an object doesn't pass through? 'Cause usually, the team goes through and the wormhole shuts down automatically afterwards. And if there's something interrupting the event horizon, or if radiation or whatever is passing through, it'll stay open longer.

The question is, what scenario can you imagine where that 38 minute window would be vital? Last Wormhole to Earth doesn't really work for me.

They're in a puddle jumper, they activate the wormhole, the ship takes a hit and loses power, they need to get through the wormhole before it shuts down or risk falling to the planet below.

Team activates gate, sets bomb to blow up gate during next activation, then they get ambushed and can't get through.

I dunno. Someone's life has to hang in the balance. Could be a theme similar to 48 Hours...

DUDE
May 20th, 2004, 07:33 PM
does the title have nythign do to w/ the supposed time a stable wormhole can be continously established ... just my thoguth and the first thing i thoguth when i saw the title.. that woudl be great for it to play in real thime!

Bakjuh
May 21st, 2004, 06:28 AM
Personally i think the Atlantis gate will probably be able to maintain the wormhole longer since the Stargate itself is an advanced version of the gates we have in our galaxy.

Perhaps that the Wraith launch some attack like Sokar once did and they come to the conclusion that once the 38 minutes window passed, they're basicly screwed. heh

StargateSara
May 21st, 2004, 06:50 AM
You could always drive everyone COMPLETELY nuts and factor in the commercial breaks so that things happen during the breaks and the audience misses them. :D

As for on topic, yeah, it's gotta be the wormhole thing. But there has to be some kind of twist to it. First off, how do you get a wormhole to stay open for 38 minutes, anyway? Is that if an object doesn't pass through? 'Cause usually, the team goes through and the wormhole shuts down automatically afterwards. And if there's something interrupting the event horizon, or if radiation or whatever is passing through, it'll stay open longer.

The question is, what scenario can you imagine where that 38 minute window would be vital? Last Wormhole to Earth doesn't really work for me.

They're in a puddle jumper, they activate the wormhole, the ship takes a hit and loses power, they need to get through the wormhole before it shuts down or risk falling to the planet below.

Team activates gate, sets bomb to blow up gate during next activation, then they get ambushed and can't get through.

I dunno. Someone's life has to hang in the balance. Could be a theme similar to 48 Hours...
Good scenarios! Why would they not be able to just dial home again in the event that the wormhole closes? Is the dialing device damaged? Do we only have enough power to activate it once? When a wormhole is established from one galaxy to the next (instead of intergalactically), does the 38 minute rule still apply? Oh all very good questions, glad we're all on the same page now...

Tok'Ra Hostess
May 21st, 2004, 09:38 AM
Good scenarios! Why would they not be able to just dial home again in the event that the wormhole closes? Is the dialing device damaged? Do we only have enough power to activate it once? When a wormhole is established from one galaxy to the next (instead of intergalactically), does the 38 minute rule still apply? Oh all very good questions, glad we're all on the same page now...

Maybe we'll be treated to some bizzare Star Trek NG ep where someone lives out an entire lifetime in 38 minutes.

Or maybe there is life inside a wormhole, (DS-9) and someone is stuck inside with them.

May 21st, 2004, 08:23 PM
well they way they can the wormhole open for that long is send a radio signal, or else trough it...and probably a lot of energy is needed...

Erik Pasternak
May 23rd, 2004, 05:22 PM
Does anyone out there have any information on the episode "Thirty-Eight Minutes." All GateWorld lists is a guest star and I'd love to know more. Thanks!

May 23rd, 2004, 08:02 PM
RIGHT ON THE SAME PAGE (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=233)!!!

Red_Rabbit
May 23rd, 2004, 11:07 PM
It would be a great idea to see an ep play out in real time, and atlantis would be the perfect place to test it, if it works we might see something like it on sg1 if there is a season 9

StargateSara
May 24th, 2004, 05:05 AM
I don't know, I don't think I would like to see an ep play out in real time. Seems like it's been overdone, especially with the popularity of "24". I like the idea of someone's life playing out in 38 or 42 minutes, but I have to admit, it reminds me of the 100 days planet from SG-1. Hmmmmmm........

Anubis
May 24th, 2004, 07:00 AM
I would like them to do just one episode in real time just to see how it works out. If it doesn't work, then quite simply it doesn't and they won't repeat that process again, or at least I hope they won't

Darren
May 24th, 2004, 09:40 AM
At last! GateWorld has the first solid plot info on Just What The Heck This Episode Is About (courtesy of The Sci-Fi Channel):

"The Atlantis team is imperiled when their puddle jumper becomes lodged in the Stargate."

"Thirty-Eight Minutes" will air Friday, July 30 at 10 p.m. E/P on Sci-Fi! Check out the rest of the schedule (http://www.gateworld.net/news/generalnews.html#newsitem1085418685,65548,), complete with descriptions from the network.

Ugly Pig
May 24th, 2004, 11:48 AM
I like the sound of that. Could be very interesting... I guess the title does refer to how long they can keep the gate open, and that will be the time they have at their disposal to somehow get out of the gate before it shuts down at which point they will, presumably, perish.

DJFavorite
May 24th, 2004, 01:35 PM
At last! GateWorld has the first solid plot info on Just What The Heck This Episode Is About (courtesy of The Sci-Fi Channel):

"The Atlantis team is imperiled when their puddle jumper becomes lodged in the Stargate."

"Thirty-Eight Minutes" will air Friday, July 30 at 10 p.m. E/P on Sci-Fi! Check out the rest of the schedule (http://www.gateworld.net/news/generalnews.html#newsitem1085418685,65548,), complete with descriptions from the network.
I wonder which stargate they get lodged in, the entry stargate or exit stargate and which direction are the going - from Atlantis to another planet or another planet to Atlantis.

David85
May 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM
For all those people that thought it didn't mean how long the gate can stay open..... why did you think it wasn't?

Teal'c
May 24th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Hmmm... so why so dangerous? Perhaps they're entering an orbiting gate and something happens that gets them stuck, so like a third of the puddle jumper is in the event horizon, so it's like there's a puddle inside the ship. And if they can't get through in 38 minutes, the gate shuts off and they're suddenly exposed to the vacuum of space :P Of course their destination would also have to be somewhere where they can't just WALK through the puddle :P

Tok'Ra Hostess
May 25th, 2004, 05:31 AM

Makes me wonder if the puddle jumper protects its occupants from the effects of being in a wormhole. Maybe they can walk around in their ship, see the composition of the inside of a wormhole, understand just how truly screwed they are if they don't find their exit ramp within the alloted time....

KorbenDirewolf
May 25th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Sounds like an interesting idea.. Stuck in a stargate? hm...

TST
May 26th, 2004, 04:34 AM
It is, I''ll be interested to see how it plays out.
It's weird though, I mean you'd think the Ancients would design their ships/the stargates so that things like that couldn't happen...

Teal'c
May 26th, 2004, 04:47 AM
It is, I''ll be interested to see how it plays out.
It's weird though, I mean you'd think the Ancients would design their ships/the stargates so that things like that couldn't happen...
Yeah, until we starting messing with it! :P

KorbenDirewolf
May 26th, 2004, 11:47 AM

The Tauri are always overriding safety guidelines and such to make things work how they want to.. Such as in "Red Sky".

brandohall
May 26th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Or Maybe they are gating to a gate in space and the people are on the space side and when it shuts off in 38 minutesm the ship will be cut in half, venting the oxygen and killing them.

Teal'c
May 27th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Or Maybe they are gating to a gate in space and the people are on the space side and when it shuts off in 38 minutesm the ship will be cut in half, venting the oxygen and killing them.
Didn't I already post that? :P

Wass
May 27th, 2004, 11:40 AM
What if the puddle jumper is being chased by wraith dart and is attacked before it enters the stargate as result of the damage they are stuck in the stargate.

ShadowMaat
May 27th, 2004, 12:27 PM
I'd like to know why the gate would shut down after 38 minutes if there's still something in the wormhole/event horizon. Or is this stargate 1.0 and the Ancients hadn't thought to include that particular safety feature yet?

Wass
May 27th, 2004, 12:51 PM
I'd like to know why the gate would shut down after 38 minutes if there's still something in the wormhole/event horizon. Or is this stargate 1.0 and the Ancients hadn't thought to include that particular safety feature yet?

Good point i was thinking of that as well, i hope they explain that in the ep :p

brandohall
May 28th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Oh, I didn't notice

May 28th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Good point i was thinking of that as well, i hope they explain that in the ep :p
i think the gate can not sustain the wormhole for more than 38 mins as there is not enough energy....it get's dischardged i guess....

ShadowMaat
May 28th, 2004, 06:49 PM
i think the gate can not sustain the wormhole for more than 38 mins as there is not enough energy....it get's dischardged i guess....
How? Why? We've seen the gates stay open for days when things a lot less solid than a ship were passing through them.

May 28th, 2004, 06:50 PM
How? Why? We've seen the gates stay open for days when things a lot less solid than a ship were passing through them.
really ??? where ???

ShadowMaat
May 28th, 2004, 06:53 PM
really ??? where ???
Umm... A Matter of Time, Watergate and Redemption spring immediately to mind. The reasons varied, but the effect was the same. I can recall a specific scene where they had a timer running and everyone was standing around watching it and Carter said the gate would shut down at 38 minutes and the 38 minute mark came and went... and she said, "give or take a few minutes" or something, but a few more minutes passed and then Jack probably made a sarcastic comment and they all realized they were in deep voodoo.

May 28th, 2004, 07:06 PM
well i saw Watergate and there, for sure, the gate was supplied with power by those organism (higher life forms) in water on the other side ;) And so I can conclude that in A Matter of Time the gate was also feeded with evergy from the black hole... I did not see Redemption so cannot be sure but by the look of this picture (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s6/graphics/602_01.jpg) the gate is being feeded with evergy again...
And so...as far as I know, we ppl, don't have wormholes by Atlantis, nor we have the technology nor supplies to support a wormhole longer than 38 mins...

and the watery life forms had to be much more advanced...and wormhole is emitating huge amounts of energy for sure...yeah so...think...

i remember this SG1 ep when Sokar attacks SGC with some heat (or something) trought the gate, when SG1 take Apophis from Sokar's hands...and twice Sokar kept the gate for 38 (or so) mins...so even he didnot have the technology ;) THINK!!!

Teal'c
May 29th, 2004, 07:57 AM
A Matter of Time - After they cut power they realised that the gate was drawing its power from the black hole, and on that side of the gate it wasn't open 38 minutes anyway...

Watergate - Those water beings kept the power to the gate, when the radio signal was going through.

Redemption - Well, the weapon was designed by the Ancients, it was obviously supplying energy to the gate to keep it open...

So, what happens is that the gate shuts down after 38 minutes, even if something is passing through it UNLESS it is supplied with additional power.

For this ep, Brandon Hall came up with the theory that they leave Atlantis in a puddle jumper, arrive at their destination, an orbiting gate, but the ship gets stuck on the way out (lodged against the gate or something...). And if the gate shuts down, all the ship that still hasn't come out will be lost and the rest of the ship will be exposed to the vacuum of space...

brandohall
May 29th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Well it wasn't just me, it was us working together. Part of the ship may still be stuck in atlantis somehow too...

StargateSara
June 2nd, 2004, 01:41 PM
well i saw Watergate and there, for sure, the gate was supplied with power by those organism (higher life forms) in water on the other side ;) And so I can conclude that in A Matter of Time the gate was also feeded with evergy from the black hole... I did not see Redemption so cannot be sure but by the look of this picture (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s6/graphics/602_01.jpg) the gate is being feeded with evergy again...
And so...as far as I know, we ppl, don't have wormholes by Atlantis, nor we have the technology nor supplies to support a wormhole longer than 38 mins...

and the watery life forms had to be much more advanced...and wormhole is emitating huge amounts of energy for sure...yeah so...think...

i remember this SG1 ep when Sokar attacks SGC with some heat (or something) trought the gate, when SG1 take Apophis from Sokar's hands...and twice Sokar kept the gate for 38 (or so) mins...so even he didnot have the technology ;) THINK!!!
Yes, that was what I thought - even the Gou'ald can't keep it open longer that 38 minutes...

StargateSara
June 2nd, 2004, 01:44 PM
A Matter of Time - After they cut power they realised that the gate was drawing its power from the black hole, and on that side of the gate it wasn't open 38 minutes anyway...

Watergate - Those water beings kept the power to the gate, when the radio signal was going through.

Redemption - Well, the weapon was designed by the Ancients, it was obviously supplying energy to the gate to keep it open...

So, what happens is that the gate shuts down after 38 minutes, even if something is passing through it UNLESS it is supplied with additional power.

For this ep, Brandon Hall came up with the theory that they leave Atlantis in a puddle jumper, arrive at their destination, an orbiting gate, but the ship gets stuck on the way out (lodged against the gate or something...). And if the gate shuts down, all the ship that still hasn't come out will be lost and the rest of the ship will be exposed to the vacuum of space...
Thanks! Great job!

Bogopimp
June 3rd, 2004, 01:08 PM
*SPOILERS*

I just read the synopsis! I dont like to for atlantis, too new, but still, if you havent read it...

"The team finds themselves in mortal danger when their puddle jumper ship becomes lodged in the Stargate." - God, i HATE it when my puddle jumper gets lodged in the stargate! :P Is this the first fun atlantis ?? I hope so :D

PYRO
June 9th, 2004, 11:59 AM
SPIOLER (I think)-I dont know if anyone said this but...

38 minutes is the maximum time a StarGate can be open.

So that means that since the episode is about some (i dont know which) guy that gets stuck in the StarGate in a puddle-jumper, that they have to get him out before the shut off time (38 minutes)

EDIT: Oh crap somewon said it already, opps, sorry.

Darren
June 10th, 2004, 08:36 PM
The first photos from "Thirty-Eight Minutes" are here! Check out the gallery at:

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/104.shtml

Kelso
June 10th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Wow, those pics look great! I am lovin' the new uniforms.

The Wraith look greener than the other pics we've seen, and I wonder what that thing is on Sheppard's throat.

Ooh, and Doctor Weir's outfit looks cool.

sgeureka
June 11th, 2004, 05:33 AM
The first photos from "Thirty-Eight Minutes" are here! Check out the gallery at:

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/104.shtml

Thanks, Darren. :)

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/graphics/104_09.shtml
http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/graphics/104_11.shtml

The pictures with the bug on to Shepperd's throat remind me very much of "Alien", when they try to bring him back to the space ship. Interesting, since I thought this ep wouldn't be about bugs (and maybe it won't).

sshspooky
June 12th, 2004, 04:04 AM
this sounds like it's gonna be a pretty good episode, and one of the ones i'm most looking forward to.

spook

Elwe Singollo
June 12th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Mckay looks kind of funky in the second picture. :D