PDA

View Full Version : What the hell was that ship in Grace?

TheScorpionsSting
May 23rd, 2004, 04:17 PM
So what alien species owned that ship in Grace? It was weird how no explaination of the ship was mentioned, I also thought that their were few knew races that advanced known about. The ship looked kind of Romulan and the episode was trekish. Any thoughts/answers

Elwe Singollo
May 24th, 2004, 04:48 AM
I'm wondering the samething!

Anubis
May 24th, 2004, 06:48 AM
I think the ship should have been hinted at because it was just sitting there doing nothing. Some people say it was a Ancient ship others say it was the Furlings. To be honest I don't think it is any one of the two, just a automated ship in orbit

TheScorpionsSting
May 24th, 2004, 02:48 PM
I think the ship should have been hinted at because it was just sitting there doing nothing. Some people say it was a Ancient ship others say it was the Furlings. To be honest I don't think it is any one of the two, just a automated ship in orbit

I don't think it was automated, I actually believe an alien species was on board (or humans from another planet) because they responded to Major Carters proposal for them to return her crew mates and in return she would take the ship out of the Nebula. But I agree with you about them probably not being Furling or Ancient. Maybe their from a trek dimension?

SGSlugger
May 24th, 2004, 03:46 PM
There's numerous posts on this floating around here.

The ship looked kind of Romulan and the episode was trekish. Any thoughts/answers

That was my initial reaction as well. I don't think that it was Ancients or Furlings as they should have been able to detect Asgard techn onboard the Promethous.

IMHO it's just probably another group of explorers or a rather xenophobic alien race. It's just an open-end plot hole so TPTB can fill it up later with another story.

stargate barbie
May 24th, 2004, 04:27 PM
i'd love for it to have been an aschen ship on its way to earth, but i doubt it.

Mio
May 24th, 2004, 05:05 PM
It didn't look very aschen-ish when you compared it to a harvester. But then again....

USS Thunderchild
May 24th, 2004, 07:26 PM
I found it extremely strange that we never saw this species before, and haven't seen it again to date, considering they brushed the Prometheus' weapons away like they were flies. It seemed like the Prometheus had a better chance against Anubis' mothership, and he was the biggest threat in the galaxy at that point! Just strikes me as a bit strange.

Phil

Mio
May 25th, 2004, 02:30 AM
I found it extremely strange that we never saw this species before, and haven't seen it again to date, considering they brushed the Prometheus' weapons away like they were flies. It seemed like the Prometheus had a better chance against Anubis' mothership, and he was the biggest threat in the galaxy at that point! Just strikes me as a bit strange.

Phil
maybe we had the asgard weapons set to 'flyswatter', and didn't even know it.

TechnoBoY
May 25th, 2004, 04:47 AM
it was supposed to be a ship from that race we saw in Prometheus in season 6. The ship that the replicators has under control that scanned them. NVM, I am confused. It might have supposed to be that ship we saw in the the the season 4 finale and the season 5 opener. Oh well, I know it was supposed to be some race that the replicators controlled. Something like that, then they decided to drop that idea. I dunno. Meh.

Jarnin
May 25th, 2004, 05:04 AM
The ship was a plot device. They may give us more information sometime in the future about this unknown race, but the point is:

A) They needed a powerful antagonistic enemy that was currently unknown.

B) They needed the antagonists to be able to beam the entire crew of the Prometheus off the ship so Carter could play out the actual story alone.

C) They needed the antagonists to end up being fair when Carter was negotiating with them.

So, they created a totally new race, and gave us absolutely no idea about them except they have pretty powerful ships. Can't wait to meet them.

The Borg in Star Trek was originally introduced in pretty much the same way, and from the interest they got from that one episode, the writers spawned the perfect nemesis race for TNG and Voyager.

SaberBlade
May 25th, 2004, 05:14 AM
i don't think the ship had anything to do with the replicators.

the replicators wouldn't capture the people onboard the ship or even be interested in the ship (S6 Unnatural Selection) and the Replictors are supposed to be frozen in time (unnatural selection). i also don't think it was the ship from the same race as the ship in season 5 opener. that ship was in another galaxy so i would think the race that created the ship would also be from another galaxy as well

i also don't think it would have been an Aschen ship. they need speical platforms to teleport so they couldn't have taken the crew.

what about a Gadmeer ship or possibly even a ship from Martin Lloyds home planet. perhaps there are more of both races out there somewhere

Crazedwraith
May 26th, 2004, 02:53 AM
How did the "grace" ship look romulan??
Looked more aquatic to me, maybe it belong to that chappie from season 1's "fire and water"

earck
May 26th, 2004, 11:40 AM
It was reported somewhere that originally it was supposed to be the Furlings and we were going to learn about them but then the writers took the furlings out to make it a carter centered episode.

TechnoBoY
May 26th, 2004, 01:35 PM
i don't think the ship had anything to do with the replicators.

It wasnt the replicators themselves. It was supposed to be the ships of one of the races the replicators have used. Something like that. Hm... I am pretty sure I read it somewhere.

USS Thunderchild
May 26th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Looked more aquatic to me, maybe it belong to that chappie from season 1's "fire and water"
Well I wasn't the one to bring the similarity up, but it reminds me a Warbird (the old TNG one, not the Nemesis one) in that it has the same sort of wing structure, and the hawk-type nose. Colors are off though :D .

Phil

TheScorpionsSting
May 29th, 2004, 12:57 PM

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s7/graphics/713_32.jpg

http://www.uah.edu/~jim/romcc.jpg

Crazedwraith
May 29th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Lol, OK, i see the similairities from that angle!

But you have to admit it looks aqautic...right??...please??

SGSlugger
May 30th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Lol, OK, i see the similairities from that angle!

But you have to admit it looks aqautic...right??...please??

I'll give you that it looks blue. :p

That's a pretty massive ship compared to the Promethous.

Thoth
May 31st, 2004, 07:03 AM
Someone mentioned the borg up there and someone else mentioned replicators, so I may as well bring this up now.

Replicators to Borg.

Can you see the comparison (other than the obvious mech thing)? Thoughts?

Aphrodite
June 1st, 2004, 11:16 PM
I have no idea what that ship was (looks like a ship from a Star Trek ep that got lost) but it was an UFO :rolleyes:. It did strike me as odd that when Carter got her crew back, the captain was aprehensive/concerned that Carter even wanted to help them, so I gues the aliens were definitely bad but with a sense of honor as they let them go and went their merry way, but were never mentioned again. Who were they???:S

Torley
June 2nd, 2004, 10:21 PM
Yeah, replicators and the Borg have more than a few similarities... they adapt, they assimilate technology... they are resistant to numerous forms of attack... but there are differences too: I don't think there is any biological, organic basis for the replicators. Furthermore, where the Borg are shufflin' slow like zombies, the replicators are blindingly fast -- and they don't have a hive structure with a queen. Although the new human-form replicators might generate internal dispute amongst all replicators because of their "humanity" (if Five was not the last one like that!).

DeLancey
August 16th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Don't think it would've been from Martins Race. If they did have those then I think they'd have given the Goa'uld a hell of a fight.

Wyrminarrd
August 16th, 2004, 09:01 PM
As some one above mentioned they belonged to the ancient race called plot devicers. Their relics can be found all over universe and they are so prolific and advanced that they have infiltrated all other shows that have ever made it into the air :D

Seriously, they are just a handy tool for the writers of the episode and I doubt we will see them again unless the writers run out of ideas. Might be a good bases for some fanfiction though :P

aAnubiSs
August 17th, 2004, 03:19 AM
I have no idea what that ship was (looks like a ship from a Star Trek ep that got lost) but it was an UFO :rolleyes:. It did strike me as odd that when Carter got her crew back, the captain was aprehensive/concerned that Carter even wanted to help them, so I gues the aliens were definitely bad but with a sense of honor as they let them go and went their merry way, but were never mentioned again. Who were they???:S
Actually the ship might have attacked because they detected Goa'uld technology on the ship.

Ancient 1
August 19th, 2004, 01:49 PM
How is it that we've not asked the Asgard about this ship?

SGTLopez
September 18th, 2004, 08:35 AM
How is it that we've not asked the Asgard about this ship?
Good point. Seeing as how they totally whooped on the Promy, with asgard sheilds and weapons, you'd think that the Asgard would like to know if there's another race out there that can be a serious threat to them.

auir999
September 18th, 2004, 11:34 AM
i seariously dobut it was replicator. Why would they return prisoners, hell i don't think they even take prisoners. My theory is that it could just be an entire human civilization from a once gou'ald held world, i mean look at the size of the freakin thing compared to Prometheus.

Spiderman
September 19th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Could it be the Furlings perhaps?Anyhow I do'nt think we are going to find out what it was.

Andy867
September 19th, 2004, 09:07 AM
I have always wondered about that, and my best guess was that it was the Furlings and they did detect the Goa'uld technology, but when they saw first-hand on how Carter was able to help them escape that gas nebula, they realized that they were not goa'uld, just simply using goa'uld technology to help themselves defend against the Goa'uld. Course it would be interesting if/when they do introduce the Furlings, (over some kind of dispute) one of their commanders speaks praise of the Tau'ri, and the Asgard, having been an ally of the Furling, send Thor to also speak on behalf of the Tau'ri and how they have saved the Asgard and the universe time and time again from certain destruction. Course another theory I had was that it wasnt the Furling at all. And that the furling are actually just as advanced or possibly the ones who helped the ancients ascend (possibly the furlings are created in an ascended form) and they are the ones who would be the deciding factor having watched SG-1 and the SGC to see if they are worthy of becoming the Fifth Race.

Daniel's_twin
September 28th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Nah, I don't think it was the Furlings, Replicators, or anyone we've met to date. I think It's a whole new species who have yet to be given a face. Maybe we'll find out if they do that Stargate movie? (just a thought. Maybe a little too hopeful, but that's my view) :cool:

Lord Zedd
September 29th, 2004, 09:16 AM
http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s7/graphics/713_32.jpg

http://www.uah.edu/~jim/romcc.jpg
the promitheus looks so small compared to that ship Perhaps the Furlings

aschen
September 29th, 2004, 09:25 AM
LMAO... Wow... That ship DOES look Romulan!

Daniel's_twin
September 29th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Never realized just how much, though. :cool:

Firecast
October 3rd, 2004, 12:18 PM
wasnt that all an illusion??? so it wouldnt be a proper ship!

Andy867
October 3rd, 2004, 01:53 PM
Well, the ship was real, as noted when they first came out of hyperspace and the ship immediately attacked, and beamed away the crew, minus Carter. Most likely they have some form of psyonic ability in which they helped Carter realize the solution, and things that troubled her, kind of like Urgo. (power of suggestion).

But the ship was real.

aeroe
October 3rd, 2004, 06:03 PM
Did we fire Asgard weapons? I just remember them loading missile bays and launching those. Either way the BC-303 was owned.
As for who's ship, I'm betting Furling, they like those funky colors and architecture. Didn't we see a little of their style from Paradise Lost? Also think of Mayan design, those Giant Alieeeens from Crystal Skull, and we got our guy.

Bleh

aschen
October 3rd, 2004, 06:10 PM
I doubt the Furlings would have attacked for no apparent reason.

Andy867
October 3rd, 2004, 06:47 PM
Well, they weren't aware of the people from Earth of having Space travel capabilities, and its possible that through a long-range scan, they detected indications of Goa'uld-based technology, and through previous encounters, they learned to shoot now, send flowers later as Gen O'Neill would put it.

But the species, whoever they were, realized that Carter was a respectable person becuase of how she dealt a deal with the ship to get them both free if the ship returned the crew to the Prometheus.

Daniel's_twin
October 4th, 2004, 07:04 AM
I still say that it might be someone we haven't even met yet or encountered in any way. :cool:

Firecast
October 4th, 2004, 08:40 AM
prolly one of those arcs that gonna come into play later on in the series in which we find out whos in it!

OfF3nSiV3
October 4th, 2004, 05:23 PM
i came to this section to make that same question!
as i understand, nobody know's who they are and i think they pretty cool and advanced
this would be perfect for season 9!! cool weapons and cool ships..
that ship appears to be smaller than the asgard ships

Andy867
October 4th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Well, I dont know about being much smaller than the Asgard because that ship made the Prometheus look like a Micro Machine Toy in shape and technology.

lord-anubis
October 11th, 2004, 01:49 PM
I doubt the Furlings would have attacked for no apparent reason.

i think i was the furlings they attack beacsue they detected the Goa'uld technology and may have thought it was some kind of new goua'ld ship but when Carter was able to help them escape that gas nebula, they realized that they were not goa'uld but they were not sure if they could trust them so they just left

OfF3nSiV3
October 11th, 2004, 03:01 PM
i think i was the furlings they attack beacsue they detected the Goa'uld technology and may have thought it was some kind of new goua'ld ship but when Carter was able to help them escape that gas nebula, they realized that they were not goa'uld but they were not sure if they could trust them so they just left

hum they could have figured it out when they captured the crew

lord-anubis
October 11th, 2004, 03:06 PM
hum they could have figured it out when they captured the crew

yeah

lionel_pendergast_rocks
October 11th, 2004, 03:30 PM
if the furlings are so advanced, they wouldnt have attacked because they'd have sensed the asgard technology, so i dont think it was the furlings.

lord-anubis
October 11th, 2004, 03:35 PM
if the furlings are so advanced, they wouldnt have attacked because they'd have sensed the asgard technology, so i dont think it was the furlings.

yeah but remeber they had Goa'uld technology on the ship they furlings could have thought the goa'uld have stole asgrrd technology

lionel_pendergast_rocks
October 11th, 2004, 03:47 PM
ok, i didn't think about that.
:eek:

Andy867
October 11th, 2004, 06:09 PM

I thought the same thing literally in a previous post.

lord-anubis
October 11th, 2004, 06:38 PM
i just posted i did not ready any of the other posts

Andy867
October 11th, 2004, 06:56 PM
I have always wondered about that, and my best guess was that it was the Furlings and they did detect the Goa'uld technology, but when they saw first-hand on how Carter was able to help them escape that gas nebula, they realized that they were not goa'uld, just simply using goa'uld technology to help themselves defend against the Goa'uld. Course it would be interesting if/when they do introduce the Furlings, (over some kind of dispute) one of their commanders speaks praise of the Tau'ri, and the Asgard, having been an ally of the Furling, send Thor to also speak on behalf of the Tau'ri and how they have saved the Asgard and the universe time and time again from certain destruction. Course another theory I had was that it wasnt the Furling at all. And that the furling are actually just as advanced or possibly the ones who helped the ancients ascend (possibly the furlings are created in an ascended form) and they are the ones who would be the deciding factor having watched SG-1 and the SGC to see if they are worthy of becoming the Fifth Race.

This is from Page 2 of this thread:)

lord-anubis
October 11th, 2004, 09:54 PM
oh well than we both think the same thing

Elite Anubis Guard
October 12th, 2004, 07:22 AM
thats an interesting theory....hmm

Andy867
October 12th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Well it does have merit since for thousands of years, the Goa'uld have been scavengers of Technology from every race, so it would only make sense that if they obtained enough advanced technology, they would rival that of the Asgard, which is why they initially open-fired. The ship had probably picked up the signature from that of the Goa'uld technology, and in past incidences, shooting first, ask questions later led to better outcomes. But once they realized that Carter was willing to help them escape the nebula, they then realized that humans had advanced enough to use Goa'uld and asgard technology, but to use that technology for the better.

KayMan2k
October 12th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Didn't Prometheus have some Asgard technology at that time also? Sheilds and supposidly some weapons. So perhaps they thought the people of the ship stole Ancient crystal technology (since all Goauld technology is based on stolen Ancient technology) and then Asgard technology.

.. or perhaps Prometheus was trespassing in their region of space. This could have been interpreted many ways by the aliens. Would we have done the same if we had advanced ships and a complelty unknown vessel just appeared?

aschen
October 12th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Shields, weapons and erm... A transporter, too. Unfortunately, we don't have their scanners. :(

veneticuss
October 12th, 2004, 10:49 AM
The size is good though. Is the Asgards ship bigger?

OfF3nSiV3
October 12th, 2004, 11:50 AM
i think it's the same size (u can compare on episode unnatural selection i think)

aschen
October 12th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Negative. The Asgard ship is much bigger.

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s6/graphics/612_02.jpg

Elite Anubis Guard
October 13th, 2004, 09:30 AM
could do wiv one of those ship scale things that magazines do for other shows...

i hope we see more of that ship for s7!

alaskannut
October 17th, 2004, 02:52 PM
So what alien species owned that ship in Grace? It was weird how no explaination of the ship was mentioned, I also thought that their were few knew races that advanced known about. The ship looked kind of Romulan and the episode was trekish. Any thoughts/answers

It was built and crewed by The-Guys-We'll-Never-Ever-Hear-From-Again

lord-anubis
October 18th, 2004, 09:39 AM
im sure the will tell us who made the ship if there is a season 9

Lord Zedd
October 18th, 2004, 10:16 AM
perhaps a new kind of enemy

Elite Anubis Guard
October 18th, 2004, 10:42 AM
would be cool.

Daniel's_twin
October 18th, 2004, 04:31 PM
I already wrote a fan-fic for it. Kinda boring, but still pretty cool. :cool:

LordAnubis
October 18th, 2004, 07:14 PM
I already wrote a fan-fic for it. Kinda boring, but still pretty cool. :cool:
What was it about, your fan-fic? Can you share it? :)

Also, does anyone know who the ship that the Reps took over in "Enemies" belonged to? Remember the one where Apophis bites it big after they get lost in some weird part of space or something. I haven't seen this episode in a long time, but there was a ship that they encountered, that the Reps had taken over, and I didn't think it was Asgard or Goa'uld. Does anyone know? Any ideas?

Daniel's_twin
October 19th, 2004, 05:57 AM
It kinda looked like the same design as the ship in "Wormhole X-treme". You know, the one that belonged to Martin Lloyd's race? In fact, I think it just plain-old was the design as that ship, just taken over by Replicators.

And as for my fan-fic, are you positive? Like I said, it is kinda boring. :cool:

Wallpaperman
October 19th, 2004, 07:02 AM
I like that ship and maybe we'll see it again in Atlantis ?
who knows ....

LordAnubis
October 19th, 2004, 10:36 AM
It kinda looked like the same design as the ship in "Wormhole X-treme". You know, the one that belonged to Martin Lloyd's race? In fact, I think it just plain-old was the design as that ship, just taken over by Replicators.

And as for my fan-fic, are you positive? Like I said, it is kinda boring. :cool:
I would love to read anything you've written. I look forward to your posts and have no reason to doubt your fiction writing is just as good, if not better! :) If you have time, please send me a private message with a link to read your stories! :)

michelleb
October 20th, 2004, 02:46 AM
maybe it was the ancients...or a new ship the Asgard are working on..but it reminded me of all those mysterious ships that would appear out of no where, do wierd things to the crew then disappear once they'd learnt to 'communicate' ,from Star Trek..especially Voyager. Maybe they should stay out of the Delta Quadrant from now on

Andy867
October 20th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Well we can safely assume it wasnt the Asgard because they would not fire upon prometheus because in the episode Fragile Balance, we learn that when the Asgard learned about O'Neill and the Tau'ri, ALL the Asgard become aware of it, so there is no way they wouldnt have known, plus iin Disclosure, we learn that Thor and the Asgard were installing Asgard-designed Shields and weapons on Prometheus, so they knew the energy read-out of Prometheus.

And I do not believe that any Ancients that may have survived would blatantly open fire on an unfamiliar ship, especially one they knew was less advanced.

michelleb
October 20th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Evil Ancients?

Daniel's_twin
October 20th, 2004, 05:27 AM
They're all Ascended. Why would they need ships? :cool:

michelleb
October 20th, 2004, 05:45 AM
to freak out the non-ascended. :eek: Anubis needed a forceshield to contain his essence, right, so he could actually make a physical impression, touch things, etc. Maybe the Evil Ancients (or maybe other Gou'ald that tried to ascend) need a ship not so they can travel, but so they can interact on a physical level with other, less nebulous beings?

Just a rambling theory, anyway. I'm still not convinced that whatever that little girl was, that she was gone from sam at the end, because sam heard her in the infirmary at the end, right?

LordAnubis
October 20th, 2004, 12:34 PM
to freak out the non-ascended. :eek: Anubis needed a forceshield to contain his essence, right, so he could actually make a physical impression, touch things, etc. Maybe the Evil Ancients (or maybe other Gou'ald that tried to ascend) need a ship not so they can travel, but so they can interact on a physical level with other, less nebulous beings?

Just a rambling theory, anyway. I'm still not convinced that whatever that little girl was, that she was gone from sam at the end, because sam heard her in the infirmary at the end, right?
Actually, that's a good point. Maybe not Ancients though, but who knows. Personally, I don't think the writers gave it a lot of thought, they just wrote the ship in to be different and cool. Do you really think other Goa'uld tried to ascend? If so, would Anubis know of their existence?

I think, if anything, they could have been Furlings or maybe even Gadmeer. Whoever they were, we know a few things:

1) they were pretty advanced
2) they didn't really know about us before the encounter, or recognize Goa'uld/Asgard tech
3) they weren't really all that hostile, although they weren't friendly either

Andy867
October 20th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Well, to me it would seem like the Little girl was Sam thinking on the simplest terms of things, like how her blowing bubbles was the answer to freeing the Prometheus and the Alien ship from the gas nebula.

LordAnubis
October 20th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Well, to me it would seem like the Little girl was Sam thinking on the simplest terms of things, like how her blowing bubbles was the answer to freeing the Prometheus and the Alien ship from the gas nebula.
I agree with Andy, the little girl may have been Sam's subconscious or something like that.

Andy867
October 20th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Well, all the characters were figments of her imagination, but Sam even asked who she was and she said her name was Grace. And one of the definitions of Grace is

A temporary immunity or exemption; a reprieve. Basically, it was taking a break for her normal, which is using complex figures and theoretical conjectures, whereas thinking outside the box allowed her to break the solution down into its simplest terms, which is usually the job of O'Neill (at times).