• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People of Earth (303)

Visit the Episode GuideSTAR TREK: DISCOVERY - SEASON THREE
    PEOPLE OF EARTH
    EPISODE NUMBER - 303
    Reunited with their lost comrade, Discovery jumps to Earth — only to find that their home has become isolationist. While a group of inspectors board the ship, a new conflict brews with raiders in search of dilithium.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 07 November 2020, 10:49 PM.

It was nice to Christopher Heyedahl (Halling, Todd) from Stargate : Atlantis in this episode. He was masked really pale and a bit old, maybe so much time has passed since 2009.

This episode was a bit slow and emotional. They have borrowed some elements from other movies and tv shows:
    - fallen crew member badges on the corridor from BSG
    - mentioning off-screen adventures like Obi-van and Anakin in SW
    - "unstoppable force meets with an unmoveable object" from the Dark Knight

I really liked how Michael is unsure about her future and her carrier. Georghio has felt it that she has turned into a mini-Terran than ever before.

I am interested what Georghiou is planning. What if they are in the Mirror Universe? Can the Mirror Universe have the Federation while it has gone off in the Prime?

It will be interesing to see a new trill on the show. I am not so sure we need an additional engineer character next to Stamet and Jett.

I was also not a big fan of the Titan-Earth conflict. Okay, there was some misunderstaing and they have shot each other apart in the past, but what about communication channels? Come on!
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Ok, I realise that the main corridor set of the Discovery is probably quite limited, and it's a smaller crew on the ship, but...

When Burnham and Saru were doing their initial walk and talk, were they going in circles or something?
      I swear, I saw the same crewman - male, darker skin tone, shaven head/bald - three times, doing three different things all within the space of a minute or so.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I really hate the Philippa Georgiou character. She is always so arrogant and hateful, and is always there to "save" the day with violence. It's so sickening to my head to know that many fans love her. There's nothing about her to love.

Comment

Saturn is long distance from earth so long distance in that universe that even communication dont work for them to communicate with earth was a total joke From our present time to there time is like 1300 years and they still have not evoled to have technology of communication in there own star system while we in our own modern day have tech to communicate with a satellite that is already past from saturn and the message take hour to travel. But they have space ships that can take on Earth ships and be a problem for them.

And this new character Adira made sabotage to discovery and was not punished for it and same for the earth part. This episodes had so many things that made no sense and of curse it was made for the discovery main character to save the day in a easy way that took her like 1 hour to solve it that the locals could not solve in 160 plus years.
          sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

The communications issue seems to be an after effect of the Burn.

Long range communications are all based on the subspace radio technology, and as I recall subspace was somehow affected by the Burn.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
              The communications issue seems to be an after effect of the Burn.

Long range communications are all based on the subspace radio technology, and as I recall subspace was somehow affected by the Burn.
              if subspace is affected I wonder if it has anything to do with the Omega molecule

Comment

Well in there time of a future planets in one star system is not long distance. If one sector is 30 light years.
                And Saturn isnt a light year away from us. If the radio wave system we use to communicate with the satellite that have gone past the Saturn long ago have a delay of 50 minutes to get message or send to us and thats from the 1960 technology. Thing is that the writers and show runners in that show are just too dumb to think about it and explain it to make sense. Never mind that it was a group of scientist in that Saturn who cant come up with a solution of communication with earth in 160 years after the burn happen and never mind that earth dont recognize the ships they have as there own technology.

There are so much in this show that is just really badly written so you need to drop to kindergarten level on your intelligence to watch it. Cause if you have some intelligence you start to question and there is pretty much every episode where you only question them as they are so damn dumb with there writing the show. Basically there budget per episode goes all under mindless killing or just CGI and have nothing left for writers that can write intelligence in the show
                sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post
                  Saturn is long distance from earth so long distance in that universe that even communication dont work for them to communicate with earth was a total joke From our present time to there time is like 1300 years and they still have not evoled to have technology of communication in there own star system while we in our own modern day have tech to communicate with a satellite that is already past from saturn and the message take hour to travel. But they have space ships that can take on Earth ships and be a problem for them.
                  They said the accident that wiped out a third of their habitats took out their communications as well. They then sent a ship to Earth, probably because it was faster than rebuilding an array from scratch. When Earth shot it down, Titan decided that Earth had left them to die and they were no longer interested in trying to communicate.

What I don't understand is why, if Titan had ships, they couldn't use the communications system aboard one of them to communicate with Earth from Titan instead of traveling to Earth. Did they only have shuttles/small ships that were grounded at the time of the accident and thus damaged, with at least one being flyable but conveniently not able to communicate either?

never mind that earth dont recognize the ships they have as there own technology.
                  Well, they did say that Titan split off from Earth a century ago. The length of time between then and the accident on Titan is unknown, but it doesn't seem like they kept up communications with one another. It's not unreasonable to assume that some, most, or all of ships they had were acquired through trades with couriers and thus alien in design.

And this new character Adira made sabotage to discovery and was not punished for it and same for the earth part. This episodes had so many things that made no sense and of curse it was made for the discovery main character to save the day in a easy way that took her like 1 hour to solve it that the locals could not solve in 160 plus years.
                  Why would Discovery punish her? Her sabotage was so she could have time to see if she could trust the crew. It was a reasonable, albeit unfortunately timed, measure that resulted in a positive outcome for the Discovery. After getting her onboard, all they needed to do was help her unlock her symbiote's memories to get exactly what they wanted.

What would you suggest they have done differently? Throw her in the brig? Their main objective was to get vital information from her; punishing her is counterproductive. Not only did they need her to trust them to get what they wanted, but they quickly spore drived to the Trill home world.

Meanwhile, why would Earth punish her? The Discovery just resolved their prolonged feud with Titan. Turning her over to Discovery is a reasonable form of thanks, and an important good will gesture since they hoped to see more of the Federation in the future. Had they decided to punish her before letting her go, how would they have done that without making Discovery wait in orbit/nearby/return a second time where it could potentially attract more hostiles after its dilithium supply?
                  Last edited by Xaeden; 16 November 2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X