This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

season 8 questions

new fan here, never really caught onto sg-1 but i bought season 1 on dvd and was hooked and have made my way to viewing all the way to the near end of season 8, and a few questions;

how come season 8 has only 20 episodes as opposed to the normal 22?

carter's dad/selmak were blended in like season 2 weren't they? i admit its been a few months since i watched seasons 1-3 but they kept referring to 4 years ago, i coulda sworn it was alot longer

if the replicators had moved into the milky way, how come the asgard didn't come help fight anubis? i mean, sure there coulda been more replicators in the asgard's galaxy but for the moment (reckoning 1&2) they were all dead. yes i know thor was being stored in a computer again at that time but im sure the asgard have other military ships than just supreme commander thor's ship

do you need to watch sg atlantis season 1 to keep up with season 8 and on? ive gone through most of season 8, thanks to TiVo, and theres a few references. with only watching a handful of episodes a day just curious if i should devote the time.

claudia black's character is signed on for more episodes in season 9 right? i was a scaper long before i was a gater and well sorry i mark out for ben and claudia being on sg-1

why the hell are the joffa in season 8 growing hair? they never, explained it

by season 8, how come we have just one battle ship, the Prometheus? couldn't SGC and the governments have built more?

how long can they maintain the go'aulds (sorry dont know the exact spelling) as gods thing going? every season seems to be there are less and less system lords (which makes sense, as sg-1 keeps taking them down one by one) but i mean, they've ran through just about every egyptian god and some non egyptian, are they gonna start digging into mayan, aztec and other old civilizations for the next new big bad? (sorry, scooby gang term)

why not bring back the really big alliance thor spoke of? in The Fifth Race (late season 1?), Thor spoke of the alliance of the Asgard, the Ancients, the Nox, the Furlongs and some other race (i believe the advanced humans that could walk through walls, god i cant remember their name). I mean the Tokra/Joffa/Tarrea(spelling?) alliance fell through like ****, we've seen the nox like 3 times, never seen the furlongs and of course the asgard are always kicking ass when they can.

speaking of alliance of those races, how the **** could they trust the ancients? they seem to have done more harm than good, reshaping the universe to their liking when trying to cure their plague, claiming to be such higher beings yet never bothering to lend a ****ing hand despite galatic destruction. you'd think thor and gang would smell what they were shoveling...

how come orlion (the one ancient that fell in love with carter) was able to descend to human form but keep his memories? i know its in some way the persons choice, he obviously was going to take action later on so no one stopped him yet he remembered it all

how did they manage to mass produce detronin? (or however the drug is spelt) afaik it was made from a process of symbiotes, which does have a limited supply (theres no infinite well of symbiotes to just use). did the tokra or tarrea find a way to synthesize it for practical use in getting joffa off their symbiote dependancey?

if the events in the post-death pre-ascention time place are the same as real time, how did oma desala manage to "enlighten" the entire planet of Abydos?

how come anubis hasn't found himself a new protective casing/armor thing? is he just gonna jump body to body to body? and if he did use the weapon to destroy all life, wouldn't he just be making himself useless without some corporaily body to take over, if he killed everything?

how come prometheus and the other human made gliders seem to run out of weapons so easily? i know they use missiles and guns but like, every fight they seem to burn through their ammo in a matter of minutes. why not just install energy based weapons like on death gliders?

i assume the barber (joe) and his wife were forced to sign your average n.d.a and all since they had to come clean to basically prove joe wasn't nuts?

ill have more questions later (sorry i try to keep track of stuff that doesnt make sense to me or i wonder about so i end up with alot of unanswered questions)

Originally posted by Mav
    new fan here, never really caught onto sg-1 but i bought season 1 on dvd and was hooked and have made my way to viewing all the way to the near end of season 8, and a few questions;

Because of Atlantis...basically we're getting 40 eps as opposed to 22

Originally posted by Mav

carter's dad/selmak were blended in like season 2 weren't they? i admit its been a few months since i watched seasons 1-3 but they kept referring to 4 years ago, i coulda sworn it was alot longer
    That was just a script error

Originally posted by Mav

if the replicators had moved into the milky way, how come the asgard didn't come help fight anubis? i mean, sure there coulda been more replicators in the asgard's galaxy but for the moment (reckoning 1&2) they were all dead. yes i know thor was being stored in a computer again at that time but im sure the asgard have other military ships than just supreme commander thor's ship
    Not all of the Replicators moved to the Milky Way, there were/are still some in the Asgard Galaxy

Originally posted by Mav
    do you need to watch sg atlantis season 1 to keep up with season 8 and on? ive gone through most of season 8, thanks to TiVo, and theres a few references. with only watching a handful of episodes a day just curious if i should devote the time.
    Theres no need to really but Atlantis is a good show and does link in in a few ways but you dont have to

Originally posted by Mav
    claudia black's character is signed on for more episodes in season 9 right? i was a scaper long before i was a gater and well sorry i mark out for ben and claudia being on sg-1
    Yep she's signed on for 5 episodes I believe

Originally posted by Mav
    It's just Teal'c that is...Jaffa have had hair all seasons...Teal'c grew it because Chris Judge is fed up with shaving it.

Originally posted by Mav
    by season 8, how come we have just one battle ship, the Prometheus? couldn't SGC and the governments have built more?
    They have been building more...but it takes time. Prometheus was the prototype and there are more including the newly made Daedalus

Originally posted by Mav
    how long can they maintain the go'aulds (sorry dont know the exact spelling) as gods thing going? every season seems to be there are less and less system lords (which makes sense, as sg-1 keeps taking them down one by one) but i mean, they've ran through just about every egyptian god and some non egyptian, are they gonna start digging into mayan, aztec and other old civilizations for the next new big bad? (sorry, scooby gang term)
    Spoiler:
    Well, the goa'uld are essentially wiped out in Reckoning-Threads and the JAffa no longer view them as gods. However in Season 9 they are going more on Arthurian and other ancient mythologies for the next villain

Originally posted by Mav
    why not bring back the really big alliance thor spoke of? in The Fifth Race (late season 1?), Thor spoke of the alliance of the Asgard, the Ancients, the Nox, the Furlongs and some other race (i believe the advanced humans that could walk through walls, god i cant remember their name). I mean the Tokra/Joffa/Tarrea(spelling?) alliance fell through like ****, we've seen the nox like 3 times, never seen the furlongs and of course the asgard are always kicking ass when they can.
    They will be bringing the Furlings but the alliance hasnt ended and still goes on

Originally posted by Mav
    speaking of alliance of those races, how the **** could they trust the ancients? they seem to have done more harm than good, reshaping the universe to their liking when trying to cure their plague, claiming to be such higher beings yet never bothering to lend a ****ing hand despite galatic destruction. you'd think thor and gang would smell what they were shoveling...
    Because, all life in the galaxy was going to die beause of the plague so they rebooted it. They are good not bad

Originally posted by Mav
    how come orlion (the one ancient that fell in love with carter) was able to descend to human form but keep his memories? i know its in some way the persons choice, he obviously was going to take action later on so no one stopped him yet he remembered it all
    He didnt break any of the Ancient's Rules

Originally posted by Mav
    how did they manage to mass produce detronin? (or however the drug is spelt) afaik it was made from a process of symbiotes, which does have a limited supply (theres no infinite well of symbiotes to just use). did the tokra or tarrea find a way to synthesize it for practical use in getting joffa off their symbiote dependancey?
    Just get another Queen or three and you have a long supply. Jacob said it was more refined than that now but is still derived from it

Originally posted by Mav
    if the events in the post-death pre-ascention time place are the same as real time, how did oma desala manage to "enlighten" the entire planet of Abydos?
    Cant answer that one

Originally posted by Mav
    how come anubis hasn't found himself a new protective casing/armor thing? is he just gonna jump body to body to body? and if he did use the weapon to destroy all life, wouldn't he just be making himself useless without some corporaily body to take over, if he killed everything?
    The Protective armor is probably hard to make. And he was going to use the weapon to restore life to how HE wanted it...not just destroy it

Originally posted by Mav
    how come prometheus and the other human made gliders seem to run out of weapons so easily? i know they use missiles and guns but like, every fight they seem to burn through their ammo in a matter of minutes. why not just install energy based weapons like on death gliders?
    They have them but they make the ships run out of power quicker

Originally posted by Mav
    i assume the barber (joe) and his wife were forced to sign your average n.d.a and all since they had to come clean to basically prove joe wasn't nuts?
    Well thats pretty much a given

Comment

Originally posted by Mav
      welcome!
      it had to do with the whole question of whether it gets renewed or not and scifi has been going season by season very cautious like. they really need to do like a two season commitment so the writers have freedom to work again
      they were blended in season 2' "The Tok'ra 2"
      after the replicators invaded their new homeworld in "New Order" the replicators took out a couple of the asgard ships on the way in and, by my count, there were only 4 ships left plus thors "Daniel Jackson" so they really dont have the ships to exert any kind of military presence away from their one planet right now, give them time, they'll be back
      not really no, there are a couple references to atlantis every now and then but they have designed and written the shows so they can be independent of each other. that being said, watching them together does have a little something more because there are certain connections and questions being answered in Atlantis from SG-1. plus Atlantis is a great show in and of itself
      she has signed on for a five episode arc
      with the jaffa rebellion finally winning, teal'c is becoming more and more free of the rules the goa'uld imposed on the jaffa, so he is "letting his hair down" no pun intended, and becoming more human
      the hulls are made of trinium which has to be mined off world and brought through the gate so it is a very slow process to just get enough raw materials, plus they are really big as well. that being said, the new battle ship the Daedulus is nearing completion by the mid point of season 8
      i dont know if you've seen "Reckoning 1 and 2" yet, but that matter of the goa'ulds as gods is addressed in depth
      the Ancients and presumambly stuff about the Alliance as well, will be explored in depth in season 9
      things may not have always turned out swell, but the ancients seem to have been trying to do the right thing all the time, they werent evil
      the memory loss was something Oma did specifically for daniel, Orlin was being punished so he had memories of what happened, that doesnt neccasarily mean he had all the knowledge he had as anascended. and Orlin wasnt an Ancient, just an Ascended
      well when selmak came back with the tretonin in "Changeling" he said they has refined the process from being derived from sumbiotes, which always struck me as meaning they had found a way to synthesise it
      the ascended are just that cool! truth be told she probably didnt manage to get all of them to ascend, and in the end it is the person that chooses to ascend, all she does is show them the door, they just have to step through, also given their powers the Ascended could probably make that second before death as long as neccasary, relatively speaking
      he needs the corporeal body to interact with the world, he would be alive just unable to interact with anything. he also probably would have kept some servants and stuff around for himself. he woud then be able to shape the new galaxy as he saw fit
      the prometheus does have them now, we havent design anything small enough for the F-302's yet
      more than likely
      ill have more questions later (sorry i try to keep track of stuff that doesnt make sense to me or i wonder about so i end up with alot of unanswered questions)
      sure bring em on!

Comment

well that answers some things

a few more if thats alright;

if the c.p.m's are so important as to power Ancient technology, why do they deplete of energy so quickly? i figure the one jack used to defend earth was already low on power, but it just seems futile for them to time travel in Mobeius (havent seen part 2 yet) to get a c.p.m when it won't last but maybe 1 "shot" of the weapon?

shouldn't thor be getting "sicker" each season? i mean he's (his body) has died a few times and as said the constant cloning of clones just worsens with each one. i generally wrote that off since he is the supreme commander of their fleet and as such a valube asset they need to keep as opposed to some random joe schmoe asgard.

we can safely assume Lord You is dead?

whatever happened to Osiris? last I remember jack and teal'c tranqed her and they kept her, thus later opening the door for the Trust storylines involving her cloaked ship

whatever happened to that one go'auld who tried to force Skaara' to be the host of Apothis's son in that trial? You saw him a few times then nothing. (again chaulked up to being absorbed into another system lords army after Apothis's third death?)

can we expect more "space" battles like the ending of season 7? (think it was 7, maybe 6) where the Promethus and the fleet of 302's took on Anubis's armada? (probably the coolest scene to date)

Did Carter take custody of Cassandra after Frasier died?

is it just me or is season 8 kinda dull in the fact that jack isn't on the team?

Comment

Originally posted by Mav

if the c.p.m's are so important as to power Ancient technology, why do they deplete of energy so quickly? i figure the one jack used to defend earth was already low on power, but it just seems futile for them to time travel in Mobeius (havent seen part 2 yet) to get a c.p.m when it won't last but maybe 1 "shot" of the weapon?
          A fully charged ZPM would last longer than the depleted one.

shouldn't thor be getting "sicker" each season? i mean he's (his body) has died a few times and as said the constant cloning of clones just worsens with each one. i generally wrote that off since he is the supreme commander of their fleet and as such a valube asset they need to keep as opposed to some random joe schmoe asgard.
          Eventually, Thor would probably die from his situation... but not for a long while.

Yep, Lord Yu is toast.

whatever happened to Osiris? last I remember jack and teal'c tranqed her and they kept her, thus later opening the door for the Trust storylines involving her cloaked ship
          Who knows? She is probably in therapy somewhere

whatever happened to that one go'auld who tried to force Skaara' to be the host of Apothis's son in that trial? You saw him a few times then nothing. (again chaulked up to being absorbed into another system lords army after Apothis's third death?)
          We don't know what happened to him.

can we expect more "space" battles like the ending of season 7? (think it was 7, maybe 6) where the Promethus and the fleet of 302's took on Anubis's armada? (probably the coolest scene to date)
          Hope so.

Cassandra is probably in college by now.

is it just me or is season 8 kinda dull in the fact that jack isn't on the team?
          Well, you aren't alone in that feeling... but I don't share it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mav

It's ZPM And they dont run out quickly...those ones were low on power. Just one at about 60% managed to power that Shields of Atlantis for over three thousand years. When fully charged they are pretty more powerful

Originally posted by Mav
            They have been working on perfecting the cloning technique and it has been improved

Originally posted by Mav
            Yes We Can

Originally posted by Mav
            She was removed from Sarah and presumably killed

Originally posted by Mav
            Zipacna worked for Anubis for a while and its presumed that he too is dead

Originally posted by Mav
            Fraid not, there is one big one but we dont really see much of it

Originally posted by Mav
            Not too sure on that

Originally posted by Mav
            Hasnt been dull per-say but to each his own

Comment

Originally posted by Mav

Well I think that the weapon jack used to defend earth used a HUGE amount of energy. A fully charged Z.P.M. could last a long time. Plus, atlantis had 3 zpms powering the city, so the ancients probably had a bunch of them.

well thor's body would be getting sicker because it's a clone body. and because of the constant cloning, there was genetic degredation. they bodies were becoming the same and breaking down faster probably.

yes, i think we can assume Yu is dead.

they extracted her from sarah. we don't know what happened to the symbiote, probably the tok'ra took her/him/it.

probably dead, gou'ld are pretty much gone.

that was The Lost City of season 7. we could probably see more of that in season 9

I don't think so. the air force probably set her up the same way they did with the teenage o'neil clone.

just wait for the last episodes of season 8, makes up for it.

Comment

The Jaffa had always grown hair, but they probably are doing it more because they wanna copy Teal'c (just like god knows how many people copied hairstyles of famous people... I've done it... I used to get a Carter-like haircut all the time, and now my mom cut my hair like Cordelia's hair from late season 2 of Angel. My mom's idea, not mine.)

Seriously though, the Jaffa are free. They were probably under regulations to keep their hair (or lack there of) a certain way but now they are free, they can do whatever the hell they want.

Cassie is an adult now. If you go on the fact that during season five she was... what? 16 or so? She's 18 or 19 (at least) by now. She doesn't need to be under someone's custody.

Twenty episodes instead of twenty-two: they use the left over amount of those two episodes and use them on cooler effects. And it does pay-off.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Season 8 didn't really leave much open. I mean the ending was, eh.

Obvious question that I know the answer to more than likely, Ra was shown in Moebius but with his armor mask on. More than likely cause dude was only in the movie and that was a decade+ ago? Course they coulda just spun it as Ra being in a different host at the time.

If the goa'uld are pretty much gone, and the replicators showing no signs of trouble in the milky way, what else is there? i mean they always seem to pull some new villian outta no where, which hey I'm all for I could watch this stuff for years and never get bored.

Since Daniel came back, again, we can assume Oma (if she's still "alive") won't help him a third time?

6+ year's its taken Jack and Carter to sorta, somewhat, kind of admit their feelings and yet, Jack won't be around for season 9 really? I mean the whole "well we work together so the government wont allow it" crap really didnt cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mav

Obvious question that I know the answer to more than likely, Ra was shown in Moebius but with his armor mask on. More than likely cause dude was only in the movie and that was a decade+ ago? Course they coulda just spun it as Ra being in a different host at the time.

If the goa'uld are pretty much gone, and the replicators showing no signs of trouble in the milky way, what else is there? i mean they always seem to pull some new villian outta no where, which hey I'm all for I could watch this stuff for years and never get bored.

Since Daniel came back, again, we can assume Oma (if she's still "alive") won't help him a third time?

6+ year's its taken Jack and Carter to sorta, somewhat, kind of admit their feelings and yet, Jack won't be around for season 9 really? I mean the whole "well we work together so the government wont allow it" crap really didnt cut it.
                    Apparently you haven't heard about there being a new enemy for season 9...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by Mav

No because in the movie it stated Ra was in the same host as he was back then
                      Originally posted by Mav
                      Well theres still the Re'tu

Originally posted by Mav
                      She said she wouldnt do it a third time
                      Originally posted by Mav
                      Considering they'ld lose their jobs if they did it, it does cut it

Comment

A word of warning use spoiler tags when discussing season 8 as not everyone here has seen all of season 8 of sg-1.

How to use Spoiler Tags

[ spoiler ] Text……….. [ / spoiler ] (Minus the spaces in the square brackets)
                        "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Hey there and welcome to the forum Mav! Just a friendly reminder: some of us haven't seen threads or reckoning 2 etc. yet, and spoiler tags come in handy. Post spoilers in between [spoiler] and [ /spoiler] without the spaces. Have fun!
                          And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                          Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                          Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                          Daniel: Oh! You see?
                          Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

lol, Wass beat me to it.
                            And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                            Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                            Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                            Daniel: Oh! You see?
                            Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Serebii
                              She said she wouldnt do it a third time
                              Well Oma said that she wouldn't help him again if he just used her to ascend and then retake human form.

Comment

Working...
                              X