PDA

View Full Version : Francks Thanks Fans

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 03:49 AM
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/03/francksthanksfansforsuppor.shtml

That was a great article, David. A little heartbreaking, but well-written.

I guess I need to learn to be more vocal about the things I like. Well, the things I like that aren't McKay. ;) I did search back through some of the ep discussion threads, though, and found that I really DID complain a few times about the lack of Ford's development, which was reassuring to me, at least, because I do think Ford has great potential and I'd hate to think I ignored him in all of my many posts. :)

Ah well. I'm glad he's aware that there's a lot of interest in his character NOW and that things are being done to show TPTB that fans really do care about him/Ford. The article guilted me into signing the petition, and I absolutely loathe "save" campaigns, no matter how much I love the actor/character. Heck, I didn't even sign the petition to save Jonas and he's probably my favorite character in all of Stargate. But this just... feels different. Maybe it's because (hopefully) Ford isn't disappearing for good or getting killed off, he's just getting side-lined, so there's a greater chance for effecting change... and hopefully there's less chance of the campaign turning as bitterly nasty and violent as the one which made me hate all the "save" stuff in the first place.

Best of luck to Rainbow AND Ford. I hope to be seeing more of both in the future (even if in Rainbow's case it's limited to text *sigh*). :)

Lt. Aiden Ford
March 2nd, 2005, 07:23 AM
Thanks for signing the petition, Shadow. Even if the worst does happen, it's good to know that Rainbow knows he is loved. :) We really do care and I hope TPTB recognize that.

I'm also glad that David mentioned F.O.R.D (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=8507)....maybe we'll get some more members and help spread Rainbow/Ford love! :D

David
March 2nd, 2005, 07:31 AM
Rainbow went out of his way to explain to me much of the arc that Ford will be undertaking in Season Two of Atlantis, and I must say that I'm very excited. We talked for well over an hour, mostly to get me jazzed! It's going to be a rebirth for this character that, and I know Rainbow agrees, Ford was desperately needing. We are going to be rooting for this character in a way that we never thought we would. He's going to take a path that isn't anywhere near the same level as Daniel's (not for better or worse, but just different) or any other Stargate character we've seen. It's just so darn cool. :D

I hope Dex is not a dissapointment. I can't wait to see more Ford - the Ford we should've seen by now.

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 07:32 AM
Ah. Well. The F.O.R.D. is another matter. I'll probably give in eventually and start posting there, too, but I think I'm a little too old for the acronym group thing. ;) Good people, good cause, but... eh... We'll see. I like the Thunk Thread. It's cozy there and it's a familiar concept. :)

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 07:53 AM
Rainbow went out of his way to explain to me much of the arc that Ford will be undertaking in Season Two of Atlantis, and I must say that I'm very excited. We talked for well over an hour, mostly to get me jazzed! It's going to be a rebirth for this character that, and I know Rainbow agrees, Ford was desperately needing. We are going to be rooting for this character in a way that we never thought we would. He's going to take a path that isn't anywhere near the same level as Daniel's (not for better or worse, but just different) or any other Stargate character we've seen. It's just so darn cool. :D
I hope you- and he- are right, David. I hope this really does prove to be the angle the writers need to do justice to the character and I hope it means good, meaty stuff for Ford and more challenges for Rainbow.

I have to say, I'm getting more intrigued about what they're going to do. As long as it isn't anything like an Atlantis version of the Kull Warriors. :rolleyes:

I'm glad that Rainbow, at least, is excited for the future. We'll see how well it pays off in the coming season. :)

More Ford can only be a good thing.

David
March 2nd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Don't think Kull Warriors. Think Aris Boch.

Hex.FTB.enabled
March 2nd, 2005, 12:38 PM
Don't think Kull Warriors. Think Aris Boch.
:eek: Literally, or that type of character. Man, talk about dangling a carrot in front of a rabbit.... :p

David
March 2nd, 2005, 12:40 PM
More like dangling a Z.P.M. in front of an adopted Atlantean.

Major Tyler
March 2nd, 2005, 02:26 PM
Don't think Kull Warriors. Think Aris Boch.Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! That's a load off my mind, David! This definately gives me hope that Ford won't be sidelined.

David, thank you for being...well, you. :)

Hex.FTB.enabled
March 2nd, 2005, 03:17 PM
More like dangling a Z.P.M. in front of an adopted Atlantean.

LOL! Very cool stuff. I'm glad to hear they'll be doing something interesting with Ford, even if it's not every ep. Thanks for the great article!

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
And I heard a rumor we'd be getting more Buff Ford. :D:D Yayness! The shallow fangirl in me is most happy about that. ;)

Shipperahoy
March 2nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
This just reinforces my opinion that the guy is a serious class act. I really hope that he doesn't go away.

David
March 2nd, 2005, 03:41 PM
And I heard a rumor we'd be getting more Buff Ford. :D:D Yayness! The shallow fangirl in me is most happy about that. ;)
More buff Ford is indeed in the works, I am pleased to say. Once Rainbow's first episode is clear he's going to start pumping.

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 03:44 PM
More buff Ford is indeed in the works, I am pleased to say. Once Rainbow's first episode is clear he's going to start pumping.
*sigh* If he ever needs anyone to spot him... ;)

OK, so I probably wouldn't me much good for that, but a girl can dream, right? :D

David
March 2nd, 2005, 03:50 PM
*sigh* If he ever needs anyone to spot him... ;)

OK, so I probably wouldn't me much good for that, but a girl can dream, right? :D

If he's lifting candy canes I'll make sure you're the first to know.

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 03:53 PM
If he's lifting candy canes I'll make sure you're the first to know.
I'm strong enough to give you a good thumping. :P Not that it'd take much effort. ;)

David
March 2nd, 2005, 03:55 PM
Toothpicks then.

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 04:03 PM
Toothpicks then.
Oh, in another couple of weeks I'll show YOU how I use toothpicks. And you aren't gonna like it. :D

I'll be sure someone takes pictures to send to Rainbow. He appreciates a good laugh. And if it's at your expense... so much the better. :P

Funkmeister
March 2nd, 2005, 05:39 PM
Maybe Ford will join Sgt Bates team?

it sounds interesting though, and i have no clue where they're going with him!

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 05:49 PM
Oh, no. Bates would NEVER allow that. If Ford has been "changed" in any way, that makes him a massive security risk. He could be working for the Wraith, he could be a sleeper agent, he could have a tracking device in his head... or a bomb... or any number of horrible things could happen just by being NEAR Ford.

Not only would Bates not want Ford on his team, he'd probably advocate exiling him to some distant planet where he can't hurt anyone. ;)

But it would still be fun. And there'd be some great conflict/tension between them. :) Bates is cool... as long as he's being written by people who understand his character. :P

keshou
March 2nd, 2005, 07:15 PM
Oh, RSF's such a nice guy. When I watched that first Lowdown I came away thinking Ford was going to be a big hit. It's a shame they never really found much to do with his character. I really, really hope this new storyline works out for him. :)

Wow, that's kind of scary that they're all in the production office reading the forums to see what the fans are thinking. I mean I knew they checked the boards on occasion but this makes it sound like it's part of their daily entertainment. They must all be nuts by now. :p

emily_reich
March 2nd, 2005, 09:05 PM
yay!!! glad my hopes for an awesome story for ford next season have been fulfilled!! can't wait!!! seriously, this has me more excited for next season than ANYTHING!!! i'm psyched! :)

...and in honor of getting buffer!ford next season, i present my "buff!ford is good" avatar which i think i'll wear for a while now :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/emily_reich/sanctuary-ford52x60.png

GatetheWay
March 2nd, 2005, 10:09 PM
But the question remains. Can RSF and TPTB pull it off?

emily_reich
March 2nd, 2005, 10:29 PM
i have faith!! i'm optimistic!! i think they can :) they'd better :p ;)

Major Tyler
March 3rd, 2005, 03:02 AM
But the question remains. Can RSF and TPTB pull it off?Yes.

NightGloom
March 3rd, 2005, 03:22 AM
OK... well, it's making me feel a little better that it's going to be a good storyline that Ford will actually play a good role in, but I still feel like a jerk for not really saying anything about Ford's lack of character development, even though I noticed it and I thought he could have potential.

ShadowMaat
March 3rd, 2005, 03:31 AM
But the question remains. Can RSF and TPTB pull it off?
I have every confidence in RSF... it's TPTB I'm worried about.

elvital
March 3rd, 2005, 05:20 AM
Hm, at least nice to see that RSF knows about the fan support. :)

But I wonder why he didn't say anything about the reasons why he isn't a regular anymore? Is it just that people thought he didn't get enough character development or did I miss something?

Well, at least he will get a nice story next season. ;)

FoolishPleasure
March 3rd, 2005, 08:11 AM
This whole issue with Rainbow is a bit strange. The characters of both Ford and Teyla were ill-conceived and poorly written from the beginning. Ford is finally getting "beefed-up" and sounding interesting, but is heading to recurring la-la land. In the meantime, Ronan is brought in with a lot of the traits Teyla already has. This leaves a team with 2 aliens (harboring the same "issues"), 1 scientist and 1 soldier.

The better idea would be to keep Ford as the reg (in the new-improved super soldier mode) and move Teyla to recurring (move to Athosian mainland, whatever). Team would remain 2 soldiers, 1 scientist, 1 alien with enemy knowledge. Teyla has yet to develop a strong fan base, other than the "oh she is HOT, swinging sticks in her Britney Spears attire" crowd. At least Ford sounds like he would be different and (finally) utilized in an interesting manner.

Alas, it seems we are going to lose possible intriguing character development (Ford) and be stuck with the "eye candy" (Teyla). Just my wee opinion. :)

Skydiver
March 3rd, 2005, 09:29 AM
Hm, at least nice to see that RSF knows about the fan support. :)

But I wonder why he didn't say anything about the reasons why he isn't a regular anymore? Is it just that people thought he didn't get enough character development or did I miss something?

Well, at least he will get a nice story next season. ;)

it's called professional behavior

it's not nice to bash and speak ill of your employers, or former employers

David
March 3rd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Exactly. Who knows when they'll want to hire you again?

Bridge burning. Not a good passtime.

ShadowMaat
March 3rd, 2005, 09:49 AM
*squelches urge to correct David's spelling* :P

Much as I'd sometimes love to know exactly what's going on behind the scenes, I admire the actors who stay positive and ebullient about their experiences no matter what far more than I like the ones who piss and moan about being mistreated and disrespected and blah blah blah. Not only is it more professionally correct to be nice, but I think it proves that they're a better person for doing so.

Don't think I could be that good. In fact, I know I can't. ;)

Skydiver
March 3rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Exactly. Who knows when they'll want to hire you again?

Bridge burning. Not a good passtime.

especially in a tiny little area like the vancouver acting industry

burn too many bridges and you'll discover that you're marooned on an island all by yourself

i applaude folks like rainbow, corin and even rob lowe. they were honest but not whiny and complaining

Angel of Fire SG1
March 3rd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Ooh I'm excited bout Ford's new character direction now!!!

I love Rainbow he's so cool!! But Ford was underdevloped and they needed to do something...

Gone extremely drastic but hey if it works I'm happy!!

GatetheWay
March 3rd, 2005, 04:14 PM
I think it might be interesting to see how this new Ford interacts with the other characters. Season 2 It is also interesting that TPTB had McKay get separate from the others and find Ford on his own. It seems more a thing for Sheppard instead of McKay. But then again Shep has to recruit their newest member by getting held hostage. :rolleyes:

aitana10
March 3rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
Hey, SHADOWMAAT,

We may have had snippiness before, but please consider sigining the petition. RSF mentioned in a recent article that the F.O.R.D and signature list is getting noticed, and I admire your posts (hope that doesn't sound like total corndog). Anyways. :cool:

ShadowMaat
March 3rd, 2005, 07:09 PM
I already signed it. ;)

Just don't tell the Jonasarians. I'm already blackballed in their books and if they find out I signed THIS petition when I wouldn't sign the one to save Jonas... Well, it could get very messy. :D

At least Rainbow isn't being written off the show COMPLETELY. Thank the gods for that.

aitana10
March 3rd, 2005, 07:19 PM
We just have to make sure that Ford doesn't purchase a home on Jonas Quinn Boulevard. I always felt kinda sorry for his character, anyhoo...(hope CN isn't hittin' the bottle to hard)...

Here's to ya, Ford/Rainbow/explosives expert/no lines guy, hell, maybe he'll return to normal and have an ancient gene to boot. Then, we fans won't have to wait for Sheppard/Beckett/McKay/some no name to pilot a puddlejumper and save the day!

ShadowMaat
March 3rd, 2005, 07:23 PM
*frowns* Actually, Corin has been pretty busy and he recently had to cancel a con appearance because he landed a movie role.

Easter Lily
March 3rd, 2005, 08:14 PM
Here's to ya, Ford/Rainbow/explosives expert/no lines guy, hell, maybe he'll return to normal and have an ancient gene to boot. Then, we fans won't have to wait for Sheppard/Beckett/McKay/some no name to pilot a puddlejumper and save the day!

Er... no... the last thing we need is another person with the ATA gene... no thank you... it takes away from the uniqueness of the other characters...

elvital
March 4th, 2005, 04:35 AM
especially in a tiny little area like the vancouver acting industry

burn too many bridges and you'll discover that you're marooned on an island all by yourself

i applaude folks like rainbow, corin and even rob lowe. they were honest but not whiny and complaining
Don't get me wrong - I fully agree with you on that. ;)
I was just wondering whether it was all about TPTB or if Rainbow had some other reason to step shorter (like making music which I can remember being said in one of the threads right when the news came out).
So I assume he would have loved to keep playing Ford? And there's no other reason but TPTB no longer wanting him?

ShadowMaat
March 4th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Don't get me wrong - I fully agree with you on that. ;)
I was just wondering whether it was all about TPTB or if Rainbow had some other reason to step shorter (like making music which I can remember being said in one of the threads right when the news came out).
So I assume he would have loved to keep playing Ford? And there's no other reason but TPTB no longer wanting him?
Speculating on such things or trying to imply that there's anything remotely dodgy about it is generally a very bad idea.

The "truth" about shuffles in casting will NEVER be fully known or understood by the fans because we're on the "outside" of the situation.

Rainbow isn't being written off the show, his role is being reduced and made a lot meatier than it was. That tends to imply- to me- that they like him and are trying to find a way to keep him involved in the show.

I think I might have wondered somewhere if it was band-related, but that's probably completely wrong. Whatever the reason, everyone seems very agreeable and happy about it, so I don't think we should try second-guessing that.

emily_reich
March 4th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Er... no... the last thing we need is another person with the ATA gene... no thank you... it takes away from the uniqueness of the other characters...

on this i whole-heartedly agree! :) as much as i love ford, one of the things i really love about, say, shep and beckett is the different ways they react to and use the genes they've got... and it would detract from that greatly to have even more people with it... i wasn't so positive as it was about it being so easy to give out...

but i certainly wouldn't stop watching cuz of it either :p

ShadowMaat
March 4th, 2005, 06:15 AM
The ATA gene is the Ascension of Atlantis- an idea that could have been interesting to start with, but which quickly devolved into a cheap and stupid plot device. Now, everyone and his brother can have the ATA gene, so it takes the edge off some of the drama. They don't have to worry about not having someone around who can operate the Ancient stuff because all they need to do is get a shot and presto- instant access. :rolleyes: The Siege Col. Jackhole and his team are inoculated with the gene before they even set foot in Atlantis, so ALL of them can use Ancient tech. How very very convenient. Makes sense, sort of, but it's still awfully convenient. And I hate things that happen sheerly for convenience.

astronomicalchick
March 4th, 2005, 08:33 AM

I hope Dex is not a dissapointment. I can't wait to see more Ford - the Ford we should've seen by now.

Thanks for this news David, it sounds quite exciting. Perhaps, Ford's character will be better served in this season rather than him becoming more pretty (it has to be said) wallpaper. So perhaps less will be more?

ShadowMaat
March 4th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks for this news David, it sounds quite exciting. Perhaps, Ford's character will be better served in this season rather than him becoming more pretty (it has to be said) wallpaper. So perhaps less will be more?
He was very pretty wallpaper, but yes, it'll be nice to see him have something to DO. :D

IrisAnedi
March 4th, 2005, 12:45 PM
I just read the GateWorld article and was touched, I am going to post my letter-thing which I wrote a long time ago, about how much I like Aiden and everything--also, because it seems TPTB actually read this stuff and are paying attention--hey it can' hurt, can it? And we need ALL fans to sign the Save Aiden Petition--even if he isn't your favourite character, but if you just support him or think he should come back as a regular. You don't have to love him to sign it, but we need all the signatures we can get, and I KNOW there must be more of you out there who like him, tolerate him, or love him to death who haven't signed yet. Please sign! We want TPTB to know he has fans, and we'll take no replacements, and we'll bother them until they give him back! :D

I am writing because I think that Aiden is such a great character
and hopefully, fans and perhaps TPTB wll read and respond to this.
Who else wants to discuss the great qualities of Aiden?
--true, we may not know much about him, as in his history and past
problems and such, but, for one, just because no one wrote a story
or half a story for him doesn't mean it's not worth pursuing. It's
not his fault no one devoted a whole plot to him :-) But what have
found out about his character when it comes out, is extremely
likeable: He is very smart and asesses the situations very well--he
caught on super-fast in "Thirty Eight Minutes" right after he was
pulled out of the event-horizon--it was impressive.
Also, in "Rising" when the Wraith ships were making
their "getaway" from Athos with their prisoners--Aiden was told to
memorize the symbols that lit up on the DHD. He was under a TON of
pressure; he had only a few moments to memorize seven sybmols, he
knew it was up to him and him only to memorize them so as to be
able to go and rescue their people. He was the only one who could
do it--SO much pressure and in such a short time, and still, he
came through. He memorized the symbols in less than a minute (or
thriy seconds even maybe!) with all that responsibility on his
shoulders--if he hadn't have been able to memorize them all, they
wouldn't have been able to rescue Col. Sumner, Teyla, and the rest
of them. Where would we be then? It is due to him that they could
even consider going after their people so quickly. And that, among
many others, is an example of Aiden's greatness and just the tip of
the iceberg as to why he should be kept on as a regular.
He is funny, lively, so sensible, and as Major Sheppard remarked in
"Suspicion", he's just like a kid, and lots of fun. He's also so
bouncy, you can't keep him down for more than a few seconds--even
when he is told that he can't name anything, ever! And although he
may act like a kid sometimes with his grins and so on, we have seen
that he is quite capable of being serious and understands that
there is a time and place for each of them.
In various episodes already we have seen how well he can take
command--he was in demand for Second-in-command and he always knows
what to do--so great at being in charge when he has to be, but
would rather take orders than give them if given the choice,
especially if Major John Sheppard's in charge.
Also, in "Thirty Eight Minutes" was an example of his great
leadership skills--when they were about to stop Major Sheppard's
heart, he organized everyone and everything so well--it was
beautifully done. While he got the defibrillator ready, he told
Teyla to cut open John's shirt and move his tags, and told Rodney
to get the bulk-head door open--everything was all set and ready to
go in less than two minutes. He got Rodney to get up again and
keep trying, even after the Jumper slid in further and it seemed
more hopeless than before--he snapped him out of it thank goodness,
so as not to waste any time.
Aiden and Teyla, too, had a very cute and interesting big
sister/little brother thing going on between them which I would
like to see more of and not spoiled by him not being a regular
anymore. He has great relationships with all of his team--they
were getting so used to eachother, like a family, and now they're
getting split up. With John, his CO, he looked up to him and liked
him right away when they left Earth, in spite of what Col. Sumner
thought of him. They stuck together so much in "Rising" without
even knowing it or meaning to--Aiden took to John right away, and
thought he was great right off--it was so cute. And now they're
such buddies--like a couple of little boys, together they are so
much fun to watch.
And with Rodney--well, they are such fun together to watch, too. It
is unfair to turn him into a recurring character so early on in the
series, and then to bring in two others to be regulars after
getting rid of him--one of them being Beckett and the other an
obnoxious alien who we don't even know and could endanger the other
members of the team because he is a stranger, and also because of
what he is. Aiden had so much more character than Beckett did, and
I don't see how Beckett is going to be fit into every
episode--Aiden was interesting and could've gone places character
developement-wise without messing him up like the plan is.
He is also a WONDERFUL soldier, it is a pleasure to watch him in
action. There is also the fact that he loves his weapons and C-4
and anything that explodes--whenever he starts talking about any
weapons (for example, in "Suspicion" when they're getting ready to
catch a Wraith, and ended up catching Steve), you can tell he is in
his element and he just can't help smiling because it's his
favourite, and that is so much fun to watch, you can't help smiling
yourself. And in "Underground" when they showed the C-4 to the
Genii, he was grinning his head off--it was so great, he loves his
weapons!
I could go on and on about his many, many winning traits and how he
wasn't given a fair chance and SHOULD NOT be a recurring character
in the series--it just is not a good idea to have him for a whole
season, and then abruptly, for no good reason, kick him out of the
opening credits! --and the many, many reasons why he should be
brought back as a regular ASAP..please, he had such potential and
is so much fun in the show and a great character who we should see
much more of, please bring him back ASAP. And please don't mess
him up too much--that wouldn't be any fun; already we are having
trouble dealing with the thought that he will not be in every
episode next season, and that he'll be messed up by the Wraith as
well! We want Aiden to come back--please bring him back, he is such
a great charcter whose greatness has not been explored sufficiently
at all.
Rainbow Sun Francks does such an awesome, wonderful job playing
Aiden, it is great to watch and makes the show better--every
charcter adds to the show, and Aiden adds a whole lot, so please
bring him back. No one can take his place. No one else has that
ever-ready grin and chuckle that we love to see. Please bring him
back--you don't know how much it would mean to us, or how eternally
grateful we would be. We haven't even seen so much of him as Rodney
or John, and still we love him--he gets better and better every
story! We want Aiden back for good!
An extra-special, big "Thank you :o" to Rainbow Francks for responding to his fans and supporters so beautifully--we love you! :-P

Anyone else want to speak their mind or discuss Aiden's great
personality and qualities? :-)

Madeleine
March 4th, 2005, 10:27 PM
The ATA gene is the Ascension of Atlantis- an idea that could have been interesting to start with, but which quickly devolved into a cheap and stupid plot device. Now, everyone and his brother can have the ATA gene, so it takes the edge off some of the drama.

I'm hoping for some Interesting (as in unpleasant and scary) side effects to the ATA. It'd make for a good ep or two for Rodney, and minimise the Deus Ex Machina -ness of it all.

Lt. Aiden Ford
April 9th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I get happy whenever I read this article. :) I'm glad that Rainbow appreciates his fans!