Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

custom avs!! how do i make 'em small enough but still high quality?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custom avs!! how do i make 'em small enough but still high quality?

just wondering... as the preset avs are all around 20-30 kb, is there a particular reason why the custom avs have to be 8?? just wondering

anyway, onto my question:

does anyone have any tricks of the trade that they use to make their custom avs higher quality while still under 8 kb...

i tried to use photoshop but it wouldn't make them quite small enough (none would go under 9 kb ) unless it was a bmp (then i couldn't use it)...

then i tried paint, but it won't make a jpeg over 2 kb!! so the quality is terrible and pixelated...

if anyone knows a way to make a bmp into a jpeg without changing filesize or quality that'd be perfect but hey, i'll take anything!!

thanks in advance

Use .gif or .png format. They're both great for small sized pictures or for pictures where the lack of colour depth and detail isn't an issue Perfect for avatars

Just shrink down, or cutout your jpeg then save it as a gif or png. You should be able to get it under 8kb then.

Comment

thanks i may just try that! i know of the extensions, but what is the diff between png and the others??

Comment

.png is designed as a replacement file format for .gif, having better colour depth etc.

If you wanna go for small as filesize as possible, use .gif, but if you want a resonably small sized file with good quality .png is nice. But at avatar sized pictures you can't really tell a difference between them anyway.

.png cant do animation though.

Comment

how many posts do you need to use a custom avatar
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
            how many posts do you need to use a custom avatar

Comment

yay!! k, i figured it all out i've got about 50 nice png's just waiting to be used now thanks!!!!

Comment

No problem

Comment

Originally posted by emily_reich
                  yay!! k, i figured it all out i've got about 50 nice png's just waiting to be used now thanks!!!!
                  Three months. 1800+ posts. Disgusting. lol. Congrats.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                  [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

that is why I am trying to get my count up to 1801 so that I can put up my personal avatar.....post more

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                      Three months. 1800+ posts. Disgusting. lol. Congrats.

well it's what i get for being on the internet 24/7 my treat for having no life

Comment

Working...
                      X