Penny Dreadful: City of Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels

I was a big fan of the original Penny Dreadful and was sorry it ended after 3 seasons.

Now, Showtime has a new show, Penny Dreadful: City of Angels, that is not a sequel, but a new series with similar supernatural themes. The original series was set in 19th century London, this new series is set in 1938 Los Angeles.

Issues such as the rise of Hitler in Europe and the US contemplating entering the war are discussed, as are racism, religion and gender roles.

The only actor to appear in both series is Rory Kinnear, who played The Creature/John Clare in Penny Dreadful and plays Dr. Craft in City of Angels. Supposedly he only agreed to do City of Angels because he didn't have to wear any elaborate makeup.

Other actors include Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones, The Tudors), Brent Spiner (ST:TNG, Independence Day), Kerry Bishe (Halt & Catch Fire, Argo), Michael Gladis (Mad Men) and Piper Perabo (Covert Affairs, Looper, Coyote Ugly), who I almost didn't recognize with dark hair.

I've seen the first 4 episodes, so far it's very good. Natalie Dormer is doing a fantastic job.

I was just watching the Star Trek Voyager web reunion (Stars in the House on Youtube) and Roxann Dawson mentioned that she directed a couple of episodes of City of Angels (episodes 5 and 6).

Comment

Working...
    X