PDA

View Full Version : 3Mill for Saving Trek?

DownFallAngel
March 1st, 2005, 06:27 PM
Check out the article here. I was totally blown away.

http://trekweb.com/articles/2005/03/01/422527670001c.shtml

TrekUnited.com, the fan campaign which ultimate goal is to raise over $30 million to pay for a fifth season of STAR TREK ENTERPRISE, just announced that three anonymous contributors have stepped forward with a $3 million pledge toward the campaign.

The anonymous donors, who are investors in the commercial space flight industry, also released the following statement :

"We think STAR TREK and especially its latest incarnation, ENTERPRISE is the kind of TV that should be aired more often. The people responsible at Paramount think this is just a show and we want to tell them, it is not. We are in the commercial space flight industry and would like to testify that at least one out of two of all the actual entrepreneurs involved in this industry has been inspired by STAR TREK; and we are not only good at watching TV sci-fi, we are also good at writing checks, big checks. The people airing this kind of TV have a responsibility; inspiration. STAR TREK has inspired us, and particularly ENTERPRISE, with its superb theme song that tells so much about our struggle to move space travel forward and closer to the public, this inspiration is so self evident, that Virgin Galactic has ordered a 5-sub orbital ship fleet from Scaled Composites, a 100 million dollar investment, and the first one being built is going to be christened 'VSS Enterprise.' Now doesn't that ring a bell in Paramount's ears? Now, canceling the series so bluntly, for the sake of just ratings, tells very much about the kind of thinking going on inside Paramount. If we thought the same way, Paul Allen would have never funded the SpaceShipOne program. Sir Richard Branson would never have funded Virgin Galactic and Space Adventures would never have put two space tourists aboard the International Space Station. Instead, we would all be at home watching Survivor or some other reality TV show. Enterprise needs to be renewed, for the sake of fan loyalty, for being quality TV, for bringing imagination and hope for a better future to our homes, but over all that, for inspiring us so strongly that we have fought all our adult lives to bring that future closer to our children and to us."

TrekUnited.com and SaveEnterprise.com organizer Tim Brazeal stated about the contributions "We are overwhelmed at the generosity of these fellow STAR TREK fans. We believe that Enterprise deserves a future. With contributions like the one from these generous individuals and those of millions of other STAR TREK fans worldwide, we will succeed."

IMForeman
March 1st, 2005, 06:33 PM

This strikes me as more of a publicity stunt to draw attention to Virgin Galactic than a genuine effort to save Enterprise. $3 mil wouldn't even be enough to fund 2 full episodes of Enterprise, much less a full season. A full season would cost between 40 and 50 million.

-IMF

Red_Rabbit
March 1st, 2005, 08:26 PM
This strikes me as more of a publicity stunt to draw attention to Virgin Galactic than a genuine effort to save Enterprise. $3 mil wouldn't even be enough to fund 2 full episodes of Enterprise, much less a full season. A full season would cost between 40 and 50 million.

-IMF

what he said.

Alex Rubit
March 1st, 2005, 08:26 PM
I think that's quite an effort. Sure, a full season costs a bit more, but I was pretty impressed by that. It should at least make Paramount realize that there are quite some fans out there.

ShadowMaat
March 1st, 2005, 08:29 PM
Some people are sick. Raising all that money under some deluded hope that the studio/whatever would actually fund another season?

I hope to hell that when they fail their goal they donate that money to charities. Put that money to an actual, real-world GOOD use instead of squandering it on a friggen TV show.

Elwe Singollo
March 1st, 2005, 08:58 PM
Some people are sick. Raising all that money under some deluded hope that the studio/whatever would actually fund another season?

I hope to hell that when they fail their goal they donate that money to charities. Put that money to an actual, real-world GOOD use instead of squandering it on a friggen TV show.Gosh, poor children could use that money, but no, instead they use it to save a tv show? I like Enterprise, but really...

Blue Banrigh
March 1st, 2005, 10:12 PM
Anonymous Donors Pledge $3 Million To 'Enterprise' (http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=1745)

TrekUnited officials said that if a series doesn't come through, donations will be refunded to fans minus a 5 percent fee. Excess fees, they said, would be donated to help with tsunami relief efforts.

So either way they win?

Elwe Singollo
March 1st, 2005, 10:44 PM
Anonymous Donors Pledge $3 Million To 'Enterprise' (http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=1745)

TrekUnited officials said that if a series doesn't come through, donations will be refunded to fans minus a 5 percent fee. Excess fees, they said, would be donated to help with tsunami relief efforts.

So either way they win?Oh, that sounds great! :)

emily_reich
March 2nd, 2005, 02:43 AM
ok, officialy staff member on the trekunited campaign here!!! :) :) feel free to ask any questions :)

first off, yup, we are donating all excess money toward tsunami relief :) and people will DEFINATELY get their money back if this doesn't work :) we would certainly have no use for it, nor a reason to take it!

as for the pledge, it's DEFINATELY not just a publicity stunt... they were quite interested in donating... (and in fact, they are remaining anonymous so far about exactly who gave us the money...) they truly do believe what they wrote in that long paragraph, and i know it's certainly been words of inspiration to us to hear how sincerely they wrote it and to see that we could really be making a difference to people besides just ourselves if we make this work :)

we went into this saying that maybe we won't make it work, but you never know unless you try! and i think so far this has gone far beyond anything that any of us ever expected, both in coverage and in support all around the world both from fans and media alike... :) sure, we've gotten some negativity, but that's to be expected: we're doing something completely unprecedented which has NEVER been done to this extent before!! even if we don't get the show back, this is going to be something not soon forgotten, especially by those of us involved :)

glad to see the news has reached even here :) and glad to see a mix of positive and negative as opposed to just negative as we get on MANY non-trek boards :o seriously, for all those keeping the air positice about our campaign, you help us just as much as the people who help out on the campaign directly, and i sincerely thank you :)

Teal'c
March 2nd, 2005, 04:49 AM
I hope to hell that when they fail their goal they donate that money to charities. Put that money to an actual, real-world GOOD use instead of squandering it on a friggen TV show.

I'm sorry, but can't you say the same about any tv show or movie? Why pay Tom Cruise $50 million for a movie when you could give it to charity? :P

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 05:05 AM
I'm sorry, but can't you say the same about any tv show or movie? Why pay Tom Cruise $50 million for a movie when you could give it to charity? :P
No. There's a difference between getting paid to do your job and having a large and random group of people collect money to donate to a cause. In this case, I think that donating it to a useful cause would be a much better idea. 3M would go a long way to helping cancer research, or AIDS, or the Make a Wish Foundation and your cause would STILL get recognition for it. I dunno. Maybe I'm alone in my opinion, but I think that

Enterprise Fans Raise $3M for Charity

makes a much better headline than

Enterprise Fans Raise $3M Trying to Save Their Show

*shrug* Maybe it IS just me.

Crazy Chicken
March 2nd, 2005, 05:25 AM
Yeah these actors really need to look at their wages. I know they wonít necessarily work that often but still how much are they getting paid? The reason that there isn't better TV on is the fact that the actors cost lots of money and reality TV and presenters donít cost too much. If they want the series to continue they should take a pay cut and start a trend for reasonably priced actors.

Someone give me one good reason why a couple of month work by someone with as little talent as Arnold Schwarzenegger should cost $30 million! Thatís completely unjustified.

I cant see why they wouldn't make the money on something like trek because its shown in so may counties round the word and constantly repeated. This seems like another case of an unregulated industry taking more that its fair share of the profit at the expense of the consumer.

Thatís one of the reasons the BBC is so good. All the money they get they spend on program and donít pander to ratings just put on what is needed and wanted. The suggestions today to get rid of the licence fee would be a huge blow to standards in the UK.

Sci-Fi
March 2nd, 2005, 09:07 AM

So either way they win?

So let's see....5% of 3 million is $150,000 and that's *IF* the TU effort fails. But wait...it's a *3 million dollar pledge*, so unless TU raises 33 million (John Billingsley was quoted that a season of ENT costs ~$36 million) the money really isn't actually transferred or deposited into TU's account.

Realistically, TU needs to *average 2 million dollars a day* from this point on. Why? And this is not intended to be a slam or discourage the save ENT effort, But many shows have been or are starting to film for the Fall season *right now* and the ENT sets are still up, so the clock is counting down unless a compromise is reached for a reduced number of episodes or to do a mini-series instead. Some estimate that if the sets are taken down and put into storage, it would cost ~$15-20 million to put/assemble them back up and that's *IF* a soundstage/studio space is available. Then you have to schedule time for post production and possible reshoots plus FX shots.

BUT does Paramount even want to make anymore ENT episodes? JMS posted a comment that his sources indicated that Paramount wants to give ST a rest. Did Paramount change their minds? Somebody needs to contact the studio and find out or this is just a wasted effort. Are there any networks that are interested in paying Paramounts price for ENT and has a primetime or weekend time slot open? What about the networks finding sponsors/advertisers willing to pay the ad rates? There's a lot more to be considered and negotiated than just raising the money.

Save Farscape was credited for finding the investors to fund the mini-series. Maybe Save ENT will be as successful, but the Farscape effort seems more organized and focused plus Farscape was cancelled unexpectantly while rating problems and cancellation rumors with ENT was well known as far back as the middle of season 3. So ENT fans had a longer lead time to save their show while it was still on the air and the ST fanbase is a lot larger.

BTW: rallys should be held on Tues or Wed's so it could be reported and read for the next day or 2 to avoid any weekend news/sports distractions or personal weekend plans and allow people to schedule/tune into the show and see if they like it. Monday is bad since much of the political and financial news is released then.

Also, the TU March 1st *Major News Announcement* seems anti-climatic and recycled information since the information was spread throughout the ST boards a week or 2 earlier. TU should have not have mentioned/released/posted (leaked?) any "rumors or early information" until there was a confirmation and/or joint press release made and agreed upon by the concerned parties or should have just made the announcement at one of the rallys for more impact since the event was covered by print and broadcast media.

Oh well, stranger things have happened, so there still is hope.

:p ;) :) :D :cool:

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 09:11 AM
So theoretically something WILL be donated to charity? That's good. Must have missed Blue's post. Sorry 'bout that. ;) Although I still say the whole amount should be donated. If people are stupid enough to shovel over money for a friggen TV show, they should be willing to fork it over to help people who are actually in need of the money. :P

Crazedwraith
March 2nd, 2005, 10:00 AM

My thoughts precisely and its not even a good TV program. (Only IMHO of course)

shockwave
March 2nd, 2005, 10:14 AM
it has improved greatly under Manny Coto's guidance, although B&B will screw this year up with the finale

Tom Servo
March 2nd, 2005, 12:19 PM
My thoughts precisely and its not even a good TV program. (Only IMHO of course)

Who says the people that donate money to this cause don't donate to charity? So how they don't have the right to do what they want with their own money? From now on, I will harp on you for everything that you buy that isn't a nessesity. That money could go to charity you know. :rolleyes:

Shivan
March 2nd, 2005, 12:24 PM
Wow, 3 million dollars! I'm amazed!

This is great news!

DownFallAngel
March 2nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
it has improved greatly under Manny Coto's guidance, although B&B will screw this year up with the finale

That finale will be crap, and I will never forgive B&B if they actually write something like that.

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 01:04 PM
Who says the people that donate money to this cause don't donate to charity? So how they don't have the right to do what they want with their own money?
I don't think anyone implied that people raising money for this don't donate to charity, it was merely implied that donating THIS money to charity as well would be much more effective. And meaningful. Or yeah, return it all and let the kids go out and buy ice cream or leather jackets or whatever. But trying to fund a TV show... *shakes head* They can throw their money away if they want to, but I still think they're idiots.

Thek
March 2nd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Seriously, sending angry letters and postcards I understand, but trying to obtain 50 million dollars for a TV show?

Crazy.

Tom Servo
March 2nd, 2005, 04:10 PM
I'm sure if Atlantis was cancelled early on the same thing would be occuring here.

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
I'm sure if Atlantis was cancelled early on the same thing would be occuring here.
Ummm.... No. I don't think so. Fans aren't THAT rabid about Atlantis, and they'd say, "Oh well, we still have SG-1 and that's the important one!" :P

DownFallAngel
March 2nd, 2005, 04:38 PM
Ummm.... No. I don't think so. Fans aren't THAT rabid about Atlantis, and they'd say, "Oh well, we still have SG-1 and that's the important one!" :P

We don't have another Trek series though. And if this money was going towards the Aiden Ford Petition, what then?

ShadowMaat
March 2nd, 2005, 04:43 PM
We don't have another Trek series though. And if this money was going towards the Aiden Ford Petition, what then?
$3M to save a single ACTOR?! That's even more insane than trying to save a show! LOL! I love Rainbow, but I don't love him THAT much. Besides, he'll still be on the show, just not as main cast.

I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, there is no rational reason on this Earth to raise money to keep a show on the air or to keep an actor on the show. That's just... sad.

But like I said, it's just my opinion. You guys are obviously under no obligation to agree, but don't expect to be able to find some way to twist it and rationalize it to make it seem "good" to me because it isn't going to happen.

LordAnubis
March 2nd, 2005, 05:05 PM

It's dead, Jim, it's dead. Now let it die.

LordAnubis
March 2nd, 2005, 05:09 PM
Seriously, sending angry letters and postcards I understand, but trying to obtain 50 million dollars for a TV show?

Crazy.
A TV show that killed itself and abandoned all that was holy to Trekdum. It committed suicide, so let it die. No one can/will save this show now; it's too late. It had, what, 4 years to leave its mark, but instead, left a brown stain on the Trek universe. Only this season was good after Manny Cotto joined. They had so much opportunity to develop the show into something enjoyable and introduce so many concepts that were crucial to the formation of the UFP. Instead, they let those opportunities fade and introduce Temporal Cold War/Spherebuilder/Suliban/Xindi/Space Nazi trash that offends all that Trek stands for. It altered the Trek canon and made its own rules. How can it be brought back after such sacrilege?

IMForeman
March 2nd, 2005, 05:32 PM
It altered the Trek canon and made its own rules. How can it be brought back after such sacrilege?

Have you heard how the last episode ends?

The last scene they pull the camera back to reveal that Troi and Riker are watching all this on the Holodeck of the Enterprise D. That's right kids, it's all a Holodeck simulation. I don't know if this means the whole series was a holodeck story, or just this episode.

LordAnubis
March 2nd, 2005, 05:55 PM

The last scene they pull the camera back to reveal that Troi and Riker are watching all this on the Holodeck of the Enterprise D. That's right kids, it's all a Holodeck simulation. I don't know if this means the whole series was a holodeck story, or just this episode.
Are you frellin' serious? OMG! That's it peeps, Jared has left the building and will not watch that episode. You gotta be pullin my phat chain? How can they do that? Riker and Troi? Holodeck? But...but...it can't be. Dude, they lured me in, reeled me in, insulted me, beat me upside my pretty head, and pulled me back in, and now they are gonna throw me out the plane?

ARRGGGHHH!

Thek
March 2nd, 2005, 06:02 PM

You know, that just makes me hate the show on a whole 'nother level.

It was an okay series. It wasn't Star Trek good, but it was better than half of the reality crud that is on TV now-a-days. (IMHO)

But to use a crop-out like that? That is just....AURG.

That is one of the worst and most sickening writer's crop-out, IMHO. :mad:

DownFallAngel
March 2nd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Are you frellin' serious? OMG! That's it peeps, Jared has left the building and will not watch that episode. You gotta be pullin my phat chain? How can they do that? Riker and Troi? Holodeck? But...but...it can't be. Dude, they lured me in, reeled me in, insulted me, beat me upside my pretty head, and pulled me back in, and now they are gonna throw me out the plane?

ARRGGGHHH!

It's seriously the worst episode idea, I've ever heard of, in my entire life. B&B offically suck if that is trully the finale. But, you have to understand that these are all rumors, not spoilers. The originated from TrekToday, with no source. So they are rumors and nothing more.

Also, earlier you were talking about the whole TCW/Xindi thing. You know, it's never a bad idea to explore new territory. As you know, I found both of those arcs really good (Jared, I know you didn't calm down.).

But Season 2 was complete crap. If ST:E went anything like this list here:
Broken Bow 1/2
The Andorian Incident
Breaking The Ice
Cold Front
Dear Doctor
Shadows Of P'Jem(only because of the later reprocussions)
Shuttle Pod One
Shockwave 1
-----------------
Shockwave 2
Minefield
Dead Stop
Cease Fire
Regeneration
First Flight
The Expanse (only because of the later reprocussions),

then ST:E would have been the bomb. But the thing is, B&B don't know how to plan things out. They just fly by the seat of their pants. That's what I like about Manny Coto, he has planned this entire season out. You think it was a coinsidence that the Eugenic Arc and the Klingon Cranial Arc were tied in together? I think not.

LordAnubis
March 2nd, 2005, 06:29 PM
It's seriously the worst episode idea, I've ever heard of, in my entire life. B&B offically suck if that is trully the finale. But, you have to understand that these are all rumors, not spoilers. The originated from TrekToday, with no source. So they are rumors and nothing more.

Also, earlier you were talking about the whole TCW/Xindi thing. You know, it's never a bad idea to explore new territory. As you know, I found both of those arcs really good (Jared, I know you didn't calm down.).

But Season 2 was complete crap. If ST:E went anything like this list here:
Broken Bow 1/2
The Andorian Incident
Breaking The Ice
Cold Front
Dear Doctor
Shadows Of P'Jem(only because of the later reprocussions)
Shuttle Pod One
Shockwave 1
-----------------
Shockwave 2
Minefield
Dead Stop
Cease Fire
Regeneration
First Flight
The Expanse (only because of the later reprocussions),

then ST:E would have been the bomb. But the thing is, B&B don't know how to plan things out. They just fly by the seat of their pants. That's what I like about Manny Coto, he has planned this entire season out. You think it was a coinsidence that the Eugenic Arc and the Klingon Cranial Arc were tied in together? I think not.
Dude, I did not mean those things as slams against you. Look, I know you think I don't like Enterprise, but the fact of the matter is, I tried and tried and tried to like it. And, to some extent, it grew on me. I love Scott Bakula's Archer and I love T'pol. I didn't like Trip at first, but grew to like him somewhat. I like Reed and Hoshi and even like Phlox. I dont like Merriweather because he was never developed much.

There were sporadic episodes in all seasons that I enjoyed. I didn't hate every episode of ever season. You know from prior posts that I hate the xindi/TCW/Spherebuilder/space nazi/suliban arcs. I know you really like these arcs and you feel they were original, etc. I respect that, but my point is, they had the potential to do so much with Enterprise but didn't even try -- not seriously in my book.

Manny Cotto came and revived it before it died outright. However, his CPR coudn't save it cuz the bad plots and arcs and missed opportunites from the previous seasons finished it off for good.

Exploring unchartered territory is one thing, but venturing off into the abyss of obsurdity is another.

My fear for SG-1 and Season 9 is that the Merlin/King Arthur arc and Oreo or whatever the hell the evil Ancients are called will do to SG-1 that TCW and Xindi did to Enterprise: alienate the viewers and veer off from canon and conventional plots. I'm not sure of this, but I'm afraid it will happen and do irreparable harm.

emily_reich
March 2nd, 2005, 08:18 PM
So let's see....5% of 3 million is $150,000 and that's *IF* the TU effort fails. But wait...it's a *3 million dollar pledge*, so unless TU raises 33 million (John Billingsley was quoted that a season of ENT costs ~$36 million) the money really isn't actually transferred or deposited into TU's account.

Realistically, TU needs to *average 2 million dollars a day* from this point on. Why? And this is not intended to be a slam or discourage the save ENT effort, But many shows have been or are starting to film for the Fall season *right now* and the ENT sets are still up, so the clock is counting down unless a compromise is reached for a reduced number of episodes or to do a mini-series instead. Some estimate that if the sets are taken down and put into storage, it would cost ~$15-20 million to put/assemble them back up and that's *IF* a soundstage/studio space is available. Then you have to schedule time for post production and possible reshoots plus FX shots.

BUT does Paramount even want to make anymore ENT episodes? JMS posted a comment that his sources indicated that Paramount wants to give ST a rest. Did Paramount change their minds? Somebody needs to contact the studio and find out or this is just a wasted effort. Are there any networks that are interested in paying Paramounts price for ENT and has a primetime or weekend time slot open? What about the networks finding sponsors/advertisers willing to pay the ad rates? There's a lot more to be considered and negotiated than just raising the money.

Save Farscape was credited for finding the investors to fund the mini-series. Maybe Save ENT will be as successful, but the Farscape effort seems more organized and focused plus Farscape was cancelled unexpectantly while rating problems and cancellation rumors with ENT was well known as far back as the middle of season 3. So ENT fans had a longer lead time to save their show while it was still on the air and the ST fanbase is a lot larger.

BTW: rallys should be held on Tues or Wed's so it could be reported and read for the next day or 2 to avoid any weekend news/sports distractions or personal weekend plans and allow people to schedule/tune into the show and see if they like it. Monday is bad since much of the political and financial news is released then.

Also, the TU March 1st *Major News Announcement* seems anti-climatic and recycled information since the information was spread throughout the ST boards a week or 2 earlier. TU should have not have mentioned/released/posted (leaked?) any "rumors or early information" until there was a confirmation and/or joint press release made and agreed upon by the concerned parties or should have just made the announcement at one of the rallys for more impact since the event was covered by print and broadcast media.

Oh well, stranger things have happened, so there still is hope.

:p ;) :) :D :cool:

well ok, to address all these points! pretty much you're right on the money... (no pun intended)... we have to really work hard to try and raise the money in the next couple weeks... but even if they pack up, it's not like they're torching the sets when they're done, so we will notbe giving up that easily!! :D

as for the $3 mil... it's not being given to us through paypal, so no 5% is taken off....

as for the rallies... we had less than a week to plan them (for the most part) so friday was really the only day we could manage it unless we waited til the next week (which wouldn't have been good for several reasons...)

as for people saying star trek should take a rest... WELL... first off, star trek was supposed to be DEAD in the 60's.... :rolleyes: well, let's just say we're not gonna let UPN and paramount end trek and ENT that easily!! and we AREN'T gonna let it go quietly!! :)

PLUS, if these rumors about the finale are true (though i have my doubts) BELIEVE ME!! we are going to fight like we have NEVER fought before to make sure the series does NOT end like this!!!! if you think we're crazy now, just wait and see how crazed we get if these rumors are confirmed!!! not ONLY will a B&B hatred prob'ly take over ALL enterprise fans (hell, I'LL want them fired!!!) but there will be the BIGGEST determination EVER to make sure ENT isn't ended with such lack of respect to the series!

LordAnubis
March 3rd, 2005, 04:55 AM
well ok, to address all these points! pretty much you're right on the money... (no pun intended)... we have to really work hard to try and raise the money in the next couple weeks... but even if they pack up, it's not like they're torching the sets when they're done, so we will notbe giving up that easily!! :D

as for the $3 mil... it's not being given to us through paypal, so no 5% is taken off....

as for the rallies... we had less than a week to plan them (for the most part) so friday was really the only day we could manage it unless we waited til the next week (which wouldn't have been good for several reasons...)

as for people saying star trek should take a rest... WELL... first off, star trek was supposed to be DEAD in the 60's.... :rolleyes: well, let's just say we're not gonna let UPN and paramount end trek and ENT that easily!! and we AREN'T gonna let it go quietly!! :)

PLUS, if these rumors about the finale are true (though i have my doubts) BELIEVE ME!! we are going to fight like we have NEVER fought before to make sure the series does NOT end like this!!!! if you think we're crazy now, just wait and see how crazed we get if these rumors are confirmed!!! not ONLY will a B&B hatred prob'ly take over ALL enterprise fans (hell, I'LL want them fired!!!) but there will be the BIGGEST determination EVER to make sure ENT isn't ended with such lack of respect to the series!
They'll screw it up. Just watch.

ShadowMaat
March 3rd, 2005, 04:58 AM
So... not only do you want to "save" the show from cancellation, you want to "save" it from bad writing, too? You plan on somehow forcing control onto TPTB and making them do what YOU want rather than what THEY want? Interesting....

emily_reich
March 3rd, 2005, 05:14 AM
actually no... we are a no strings attached campaign... we are trying to gain NO creative or administrative control over the show whatsoever... because as much as (especially after these spoilers) many trek fans want B&B canned or want the show to go such and such direction, we CAN'T get into that legal mess and there's pretty much zero chance anyone would ever accept our money and make a deal to produce more episodes if the fans are demanding control in ANY form if paramount takes the money...

this is something we constantly have to remind people too!! there is always someone making suggestions for the campaign like "we should demand free dvds if we pay for the show" and stuff like that, and this is something we can't do and won't do... no strings attached...

as for the story itself, i know many of us fans don't WANT any creative input or control because manny coto has such great ideas for next season and we want to see those ideas make it to screen!! :)

ShadowMaat
March 3rd, 2005, 05:34 AM
Sorry, I guess this bit just kinda confused me. Made it sound like you would do everything you could to make sure the series wouldn't end the way the writers may have planned...

DownFallAngel
March 3rd, 2005, 05:10 PM
You know, they could probably save some money on laying off a few directors. They have like 50 of them. They need at the most like 5. Just a thought.

PhilM
March 4th, 2005, 05:38 AM
As much as I love Star Trek, it needs a rest. It shouldn't die, and the fans won't let it die, even if there are no Trek projects (look at stuff like starshipexter.com). But it is time to let the franchise simmer on the back burner for a while, at least until Berman gets away from it. Gene would turn over in his grave if he saw what Trek has become. A few years of speculation and chatter to get us interested again...

elvital
March 4th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I'm happy that this seems to work. :)
I thought Trek needed a rest as well but it seems that Manny Coto is doing a good thing - so I'm looking forward to more Star Trek for the first time in something like two years. ;)

I really hope this works out and Enterprise starts being what it should have been all the time...

emily_reich
March 5th, 2005, 03:26 AM

and shadowmaat... what i mean is that the story being written (as stupid as it sounds if the rumors are right) would be fine as a season finale, but most of us involved in the campaign don't think it's right at all as a SERIES finale... taking a third of the LAST EPISODE away from the CAST of the show and giving it to (if rumors are right) RIKER AND TROI, who've had 7 years on tv, 4 movies, two send-offs (...all good things and nemesis) and multiple appearances in every both DS9 and VOY, just isn't fair as far as we're concerned, to the actors or the characters, or the STORY for that matter, of the show... without time travel, i can think of NO possible GOOD scenarios involving people from a completely different time period about 300 years in the future... :S :S :S

so that's what we mean... we don't mind having people from the others shows (as dumb as i may think the idea is in principle) in just some random episode... but the finale is what ties up a show, ties up as many loose ends as possible, and gives closure....

downfallenangel... i'll check it out but IIRC this season they've only had about 5 or 6 staff directors... and they already fired several writers this year... :o

ShadowMaat
March 5th, 2005, 05:12 AM
It comes across very clearly that you hate the idea of that episode, but the point I was trying to make is that from the tone of your post you made it sound as if you (and the campaign, and fans in general) would do whatever it took to make sure that ep didn't happen.

TechnoBoY
March 5th, 2005, 06:20 AM
I think the saveEnt people are doing it the wrong way. Now if the saveFarscape people had 3 mil to spend, well.... :D

I'm kinda sad the show is ending, it was finaly getting good.

emily_reich
March 5th, 2005, 05:29 PM
It comes across very clearly that you hate the idea of that episode, but the point I was trying to make is that from the tone of your post you made it sound as if you (and the campaign, and fans in general) would do whatever it took to make sure that ep didn't happen.

:eek: well nothing illegal if that's what ya mean :eek:

and just make sure it's not the LAST one, not make sure it doesn't happen at all... i lived through a night in sickbay, precious cargo, and bounty... i can live through this, but would HATE more than i can possibly describe for this to be that LAST one... does that answer your question??? :S