• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot (101)

Visit the Episode GuideBATWOMAN - SEASON ONE
    PILOT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 101
    When the woman she loves is abducted by a terrorist group, Kate Kane returns home to Gotham to face her personal demons -- and discovers the truth her cousin Bruce was hiding.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 06 October 2019, 08:35 PM.

Definitely going to be a rewatch on this, but I rather like it.

I just hope it doesn't turn into an gay activism show. Kate is gay. So what? I don't care.
    But if they start getting politically active/preachy, that's gonna ruin what could be a good series. Berlanti seems to have a habit of doing that, based on his other shows.

I'm glad they brought in the Batcave. That was a good wakeup moment when she realized that Bruce Wayne was Batman.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Definitely going to be a rewatch on this, but I rather like it.

I just hope it doesn't turn into an gay activism show. Kate is gay. So what? I don't care.
      But if they start getting politically active/preachy, that's gonna ruin what could be a good series. Berlanti seems to have a habit of doing that, based on his other shows.

I'm glad they brought in the Batcave. That was a good wakeup moment when she realized that Bruce Wayne was Batman.
      Sory but I hope they do. Being gay or any part of the LGBT community is a near constant battle. Not showing that in the show is incredibly cheap.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        Sory but I hope they do. Being gay or any part of the LGBT community is a near constant battle. Not showing that in the show is incredibly cheap.
        As it related to the story, fine. For example, in the flashbacks, they showed Kate's former lover breaking off with Kate because her school wouldn't accept gays and she had to choose. That was a good demonstration of the unfairness of it, and I have no problem with that.

But Berlanti's other shows have a habit of deliberately writing storylines to make political statements. Such as the "aliens" arc in Supergirl.

Comment

Pretty decent for a pilot. I'm a bit confused as to when it's set though, since it's clearly sometime prior to Batwoman's appearance in Elseworlds last year, but the season is going to be concurrent with the current seasons and be involved in the crossover in a couple of months.

Also a little confused why Gotham waited three years after Batman disappeared before deciding to get rid of the Batsignal.
          Last edited by DigiFluid; 08 October 2019, 04:22 AM.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Also a little confused why Gotham waited three years after Batman disappeared before deciding to get rid of the Batsignal.
            Desperation?

Comment

All in all...I enjoyed the pilot. I was hoping to see a little more "Bat-ness" in the episode than we got. Like someone mentioned...I'm a little confused as to when this is in relation to Elseworlds. I get that it is before Elseworlds, but are they going to do a time jump of sorts in order to be part of Crisis? I guess time will tell!

As for the lesbian aspect...I just get the feel that is being presented now to give us the back story. That is just my opinion. I don't get the feel that it is going to be a soapbox aspect of the show.
              sigpic

Comment

I mean FWIW, comics, like science fiction, have always always always always been about exploring issues near and dear to the people doing the writing. The genre has never been just about whimsical fantastical stories for the sake of telling whimsical fantastical stories, its entire raison d'etre is to be able to talk about controversial subjects by framing them in fantastical circumstances.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                  All in all...I enjoyed the pilot. I was hoping to see a little more "Bat-ness" in the episode than we got. Like someone mentioned...I'm a little confused as to when this is in relation to Elseworlds. I get that it is before Elseworlds, but are they going to do a time jump of sorts in order to be part of Crisis? I guess time will tell!
                  "Bat-ness" ? I think there was plenty of references to existing "Batman" cannon. The Batcave, underneath Wayne Enterprises, an eyeglass wearing technokid, even Batwoman's chosen mode of transportation, a motorcycle, shades of Batgirl's "Batcycle" in the 60's TV series.

In fact, that is a vintage motorcycle, 60's - 70's era from the look of it. I've been wondering if it's the same make/model that the Batcycle was based on.

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                  As for the lesbian aspect...I just get the feel that is being presented now to give us the back story. That is just my opinion. I don't get the feel that it is going to be a soapbox aspect of the show.
                  I hope you're right, but Berlanti's reputation precedes him.

Comment

First off, Batwoman doesn't have the same relationship as Supergirl does. Her battles are generally clouded by shadows and darkness. While Supergirl has to fight in broad daylight and publicly makes a statement for or against something.

I don't expect Batwoman doing that, but we could see Kate struggle with moral issues as any hero would.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      I have an aversion to shows/movies that focus on hispanic characters dealing with drugs or immigration. For me, that doesn't count as "diversity" because it only feeds into stereotypes. Which is why I really like the Flash's use of Ramon. He is hispanic but his story is not about the drugs or immigration. Same thing with Rene in Arrow and Montoya in Supergirl. But it was Supergirl's immigration thing that really sucked me out of the show. Showing that sort of thing is a double edged sword and shouldn't be done haphazardly. Narratively it felt forced and inorganic. Supergirl isn't good with social commentary if you ask me.

So for Batwoman, it should show the struggles of an LGBT character as much as a black character's struggle (Or a black woman who isn't straight). If it's going to dive into social commentary it should do it the right way. But sometimes, just being there is the commentary that is needed. I wish the Arrowverse was a thing when I was a kid, they'd be the only hispanics on TV that are not poor, involved with drugs, or illegals (With the slight exception of CHIPS, I guess, but that wasn't even contemporary).

If they do it, it shouldn't be preaching to the choir. There should be room for complexity. But I think they are sowing the seeds for that and building up to it with the whole Sophie being married thing and that would be a good way to go about it making it a natural organic part of the narrative. I mean, the cause of them not being together (or one of the causes) was the whole "Don't ask, Don't Tell" Commentary so it's not like the show is going to ignore those sort of things.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Pretty decent for a pilot. I'm a bit confused as to when it's set though, since it's clearly sometime prior to Batwoman's appearance in Elseworlds last year, but the season is going to be concurrent with the current seasons and be involved in the crossover in a couple of months.

I think that's the point of the red wig, and I am sure there will be some timey wimey things. But yeah, that's been tripping me up a lot.
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                        I have an aversion to shows/movies that focus on hispanic characters dealing with drugs or immigration. For me, that doesn't count as "diversity" because it only feeds into stereotypes. Which is why I really like the Flash's use of Ramon. He is hispanic but his story is not about the drugs or immigration. Same thing with Rene in Arrow and Montoya in Supergirl. But it was Supergirl's immigration thing that really sucked me out of the show. Showing that sort of thing is a double edged sword and shouldn't be done haphazardly. Narratively it felt forced and inorganic. Supergirl isn't good with social commentary if you ask me.

So for Batwoman, it should show the struggles of an LGBT character as much as a black character's struggle (Or a black woman who isn't straight). If it's going to dive into social commentary it should do it the right way. But sometimes, just being there is the commentary that is needed. I wish the Arrowverse was a thing when I was a kid, they'd be the only hispanics on TV that are not poor, involved with drugs, or illegals (With the slight exception of CHIPS, I guess, but that wasn't even contemporary).

If they do it, it shouldn't be preaching to the choir. There should be room for complexity. But I think they are sowing the seeds for that and building up to it with the whole Sophie being married thing and that would be a good way to go about it making it a natural organic part of the narrative. I mean, the cause of them not being together (or one of the causes) was the whole "Don't ask, Don't Tell" Commentary so it's not like the show is going to ignore those sort of things.

I think that's the point of the red wig, and I am sure there will be some timey wimey things. But yeah, that's been tripping me up a lot.
                        I don't watch TV for political preaching, for several reasons.
                        I have no problem if a hot-button issue is present in an episode as long as it's part of the story they're telling. The situation where Kate's former lover broke up with her because the institution she was attending gave her no choice is a good example It was necessary exposition to explain Kate's background, and relevant to the story as a whole.

But something like Berlanti using a good chunk of Supergirl's season last year to get on his pro-immigrant soapbox does piss me off. It's not why I watch.

And more importantly, I don't give a rat's rear end what actors, directors, musicians or whoever in the entertainment industry thinks about real-world events. If wanted to watch stories about real world issues, I'd just watch the news.
                        Real world events are not their area of expertise.

Comment

And you call yourself a Star Trek fan
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            And you call yourself a Star Trek fan
                            Huh?

Comment

Its littered with real life issues
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right