Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronon Dex Discussion Thread (possible spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ronon Dex Discussion Thread (possible spoilers)

Since it is official that Jason Momoa is to play him. I thought we need to start a thread to discuss his character in general.

I hope that all of the preliminary character stuff we've heard turns out to be inaccurate. Thus far, he sounds too much like a pumped-up version of Ford. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I admit I'm biased against him. I love Ford, I don't like the initial description of Dex and I don't have any faith in the chosen actor... *shrug* Like I said, I'll watch the show regardless, but I hope that Dex turns out a lot better than he sounds so far.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      I hope that all of the preliminary character stuff we've heard turns out to be inaccurate. Thus far, he sounds too much like a pumped-up version of Ford. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I admit I'm biased against him. I love Ford, I don't like the initial description of Dex and I don't have any faith in the chosen actor... *shrug* Like I said, I'll watch the show regardless, but I hope that Dex turns out a lot better than he sounds so far.
      Well, what did Jonas sound like at first (You know, back when he was going to be called Liander Quinn or whatever that was )

Comment

wah, Jonas wasn't originally going to be called Jonas! That would of been different.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
        Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
          Well, what did Jonas sound like at first (You know, back when he was going to be called Liander Quinn or whatever that was )
          Ah, but that's different. I was at ground zero when the news about MS leaving hit the fans at Gatecon and I was frightened by the way the fans reacted. That automatically sealed me on the side of the New Guy. Plus, ya know, fans had FIVE YEARS to get to know Daniel and there were a lot of stories centered around him. We've known Ford less than ONE year and we still know virtually nothing about him.

There probably is still a vague basis for comparison, here, and I'm gonna try not to hold Dex's existence against him, but I'm still not sure I trust TPTB to do justice to the character. He'll probably fall victim to the same thing Jonas did and instead of being made unique and interesting, he'll spend most of the season saying Ford's lines. I guess we'll see.

Comment

I'm a bit doubtful about Jason Momoa playing Ronan Dex, but you never know, he could turn out being a great character. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now though. Just when Ford was beginning to grow on me!

Comment

Dex doesn't sound like someone who would take orders. He seems like a loner to me. I know I've asked this before but I'll ask it again. Even if he does save them from the Wrath, how could he be thought of to take the place of a fully train marine from Earth?

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                Dex doesn't sound like someone who would take orders. He seems like a loner to me. I know I've asked this before but I'll ask it again. Even if he does save them from the Wrath, how could he be thought of to take the place of a fully train marine from Earth?
                How could an unknown alien warrior be considered a fit replacement for a fully-trained Air Force officer on SG-1?

Comment

Personally, I hate the idea of Dex. They should just stick with Ford, and actually use all the potential in him instead of throwing it out to die.

However, I'll give the guy a chance, but I must say it'll be hard.

He can't just be an uped version of Ford.
                  He can't fall into the background.
                  Nor can he take over the show.
                  It better not seem like the actor was hired for his body.
                  *Insert something really cool here*

Comment

Ford was on par with everyone else on the team IMHO. So most likely i'll be hostile against dex and if he hits on Teyla i'll start an anti-dex thread so fast it won't be funny !

Comment

There probably is still a vague basis for comparison, here, and I'm gonna try not to hold Dex's existence against him, but I'm still not sure I trust TPTB to do justice to the character. He'll probably fall victim to the same thing Jonas did and instead of being made unique and interesting, he'll spend most of the season saying Ford's lines. I guess we'll see.
                      Ford had lines?

I don't see why the TPTB couldn't create a unique, interesting character in Dex, and leave plenty of room for Ford's development as well. They might not do it, but they easily could.

a time to mourn

Comment

I'd have to re-read the spoilders for runner but I remember vaguely. I personally think Lt. Ford needs more acting lessions, his on stage is slowly getting better each time but still is a bit lack luster of a movie vet. I like to see a more action packed year, more intense fighting and more character developments instead of a bit here and a bit there. If ford happened to leave now I wound not be too pissy, if he was replaced by a better actor.

Comment

I tend to see Ford's squeakiness of character being more about the character himself than the actor. What you see as fault in Rainbow I see more as natural in Ford. But to each his own.

And this is a thread to discuss Dex, not Ford.

It's hard to get any kind of feel for the character right now since virtually nothing is known about him... and even what we do know could be subject to change. Hopefully, now that they've started filming again, we'll eventually begin to pick up more details of the upcoming season.

Comment

This Jason whatever looks like...I dunno, I don't want to be mean or anything, but he doesn't look like he will belong. Not sure I like the idea of his character. Since Atlantis is going to reestablish contact with SGC, why not just replace Ford with another solider (USAF or USMC)?

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                              Since Atlantis is going to reestablish contact with SGC, why not just replace Ford with another solider (USAF or USMC)?
                              Ohhh, but having another soldier would be "copying" Ford, whereas having an alien warrior is completely different and unique.

Comment

Working...
                              X