A fresh nail in the Netflix coffin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fresh nail in the Netflix coffin

Variety is running a story today that, it seems, there is a clause in the Marvel/Netflix contract stipulating that the characters on the Netflix series may not be used again for a two-year period following series cancellation.

So the soonest we'd potentially(!) see Luke Cage or Iron Fist again would be summer 2020, Daredevil November 2020, Punisher/Jessica Jones sometime in 2021, etc.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Amy Rutberg (Marci) has now confirmed this.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/12...ntract-clause/
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

After the disappointing (though unsurprising) news that Netflix has cancelled The Punisher and Jessica Jones, Marvel TV boss Jeph Loeb, during an interview about the end of Legion, offers a little bit of hope:

But just because Hawley’s vision is ending, that doesn’t mean this story is over. The Marvel head immediately put the announced conclusion into comic book terms. Though Season 3 will see the conclusion of Legion, this is only the end of this particular story. “When you think about Marvel heroes and villains in general, it says ‘The End’ and then at the bottom it says ‘To be continued….'” Loeb explained. “I don’t feel like there’s a world where the story ends.”

That mentality translates to how Loeb views the future of Netflix’s many canceled Marvel properties. To date Netflix has launched six Marvel shows — Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Punisher, and the one-season crossover miniseries The Defenders. So far, Netflix has canceled three of them: Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and its most-watched Marvel property, Daredevil.

“I would not be surprised if any of those things reemerged. It depends on showrunner, it depends on availability of cast, all of those things. It’s not like we’re a doctor show where the show got canceled because of bad ratings,” Loeb said. “These are shows that have very different reasons [for ending], most of which I’m not at liberty to talk about, nor should anyone really care at the end of day.”

Comment

I missed this over the weekend -- a full statement from Jeph Loeb following the cancellations of Punisher and Jessica Jones:

A Letter to Marvel Television Fans from Jeph Loeb

It had never been done before.

Four separate television series, each with different super-talented showrunners, writers, directors, cast and crew, coming out months apart and then...

...they would meet in a single event series all set in the heart of New York City.

We called them The Defenders.

And together we were thrilled by stories of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and even the Punisher joined in!

They said it couldn't be done.

But Marvel assembled amazing teams to write, produce, direct, edit, and score 13 seasons and 161 one-hour episodes.

Take a moment and go online and look at the dazzling list of actors, writers, directors, and musicians who graced us with the very best of their craft.

We loved each and every minute of it.

And we did it all for you -- the fans -- who cheered for us around the world and made all the hard work worth it.

So, Thank You!

On behalf of everyone at Marvel Television, we couldn't be more proud or more grateful to our audience.

Our Network partner may have decided they no longer want to continue telling the tales of these great characters... but you know Marvel better than that.

As Matthew Murdock's Dad once said, "The measure of a man is not how he gets knocked to the mat, it's how he gets back up."

To be continued...!

- Jeph Loeb and all of us at Marvel Television

Comment

Interesting... wonder whats next!

Side note, hadnt realised we got 13 seasons but when you sit and count we got a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
            Interesting... wonder whats next!

Side note, hadnt realised we got 13 seasons but when you sit and count we got a lot!

We did but I was hoping for more.

I had hoped we would get 4-5 seasons of each show and then 2-3 seasons of Defenders.

I can handle the loss of Daredevil because it ended so well. But Punisher, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage? After the second seasons they had and where they left them?

It sucks.

I hope the producers of Jessica Jones knew this was coming and adjusted the end of the third season appropriately.
            sigpic

Comment

Iron Fist is probably the worst with the time jump. Luke Cage had a lot more to give and ended interestingly but at least it was semi tied up. Cant comment on Punisher as Im only on episode 8 or 9.

If I remember correctly, Jessica Jones was filming when the cancellations started so they may have had time to adjust the ending. We will see...

Comment

I was hoping the second season of Defenders (if made) would be Danny, Matt, and Jessica having to take on Luke as a mobster.

OR a second season of Defenders with the hand ACTUALLY being scary and manipulating Matt ala Shadowland.

We will never know now. What a damn shame.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X