The Return Part I Season 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Return Part I Season 3

I think I missed something here. How on Earth (forgive the pun) did Rodney McKay set up a chain of stargates in outer space between the Pegasus and Milky Way galaxies back to Earth? Who constructed them and how were they placed, and how long did it take??

Atlantis and the SGC harvested them from unpopulated planets and they used the 304s to place the void between galaxies.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

But the way Rodney explained it it seems to have been an easy operation that wasn't even covered in any episodes. I mean, Naquadah is not exactly aluminium….How did they shlep them into the chain without going through additional gates to cut down on the travel time? And what about the Wraith? What prevents them from using them?

Comment

They never really said it was an easy operation. It's a board meeting. The guy who came up with the idea always acts cocky even if he barely lifted a finger.

I don't understand the question though. They can't go through gates to cut down travel time. Stargates can't fit through other stargates. They probably used the 304's. I mean, something also had to go to midway with all the parts to build it.

And the wraith can't use it because it requires a very specific program to operate. I guess they could dial one of gates in the chain but they don't know the address and they would need more power to compensate for distance. They can't dial midway because it requires a specific program to tell the gates to bounce the signal off each other.

sigpic
        Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
        https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Then it was something that was under construction for how long? A year or more? We never heard about it before from McKay. He just announced such a feat as if it were putting up stop signs on the highway.....and how do these structures (and Midway) just stay stationed in the middle of space?

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
            it it seems to have been an easy operation that wasn't even covered in any episodes. I mean, Naquadah is not exactly aluminium….
            "Irresistible"--the third episode of season 3--first mentioned that they were looking for gates that they could take to build the bridge...

McKAY: We should be focusing on harvesting space Gates.

SHEPPARD: That's what we're doing, Rodney. The M.A.L.P. detected life signs. We have to check it out. That's the protocol.

McKAY: I am just saying that identifying potential space Gates to complete the intergalactic bridge should be our priority, not making contact with the locals of some backwater hamlet.

TEYLA: Are you that eager to return to Earth, Rodney?

McKAY: This isn't just about me -- it is about the ability to go back and forth between Earth and Atlantis conveniently ... and whenever I want to.

DEX: How's that work again?

(Rodney swings his chair around to face Ronon, eager to tell him all about it.)

McKAY: OK. Once we've seeded enough Stargates across the void between Pegasus and the Milky Way, we'll be able to take a Jumper from one to the other to the other 'til we reach the other side. That way, we won't tax the ZedP.M., we won't be reliant on the Daedalus, and travel time between Earth and Atlantis will be cut from three weeks to thirty minutes. (He smiles and turns his chair back to face the front.)

TEYLA: Very clever.

McKAY: Yes. (He hesitates for a moment.) Samantha Carter's idea.

How did they shlep them into the chain without going through additional gates to cut down on the travel time?
            As StargateMillennium noted, they used a 304 to place them at optimal points in the void. It takes a 304 three and a half weeks to travel to/from the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies. Periodically stopping along the way to beam a Stargate and attached power source into space is not time consuming. Constructing the midway station itself and scouting/collecting the Stargates in the first place would have been, but they had been at it since at least the start of season 3 and the work was divided between the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxy as they used gates from both networks.

That means some of the work was done by SG teams and the Odyssey while the rest of it was done by Atlantis teams and the Daedalus. And they probably had an easy time finding gates on abandoned Milky Way planets since they had been exploring that gate network for 10 years. Further, once teams locate which gates to take, it's actually not that much work for a 304 to go around and collect them all since the ships have very fast hyperdrive engines that allow them to get anywhere within the larger Milky Way galaxy within a couple of days.

And what about the Wraith? What prevents them from using them?
            The gate bridge only functions thanks to Mckay's macro that commands each gate in the network to store a person's pattern in its buffer and forward it along to the next gate. Mckay thinks that his macro in unhackable and, as a result, there is no need for either an iris or shield at the midway station. Whether he is correct or not remains to be seen as of the episode you're up to, but Landry clearly thought that it was something the replicators could do, so you're right that it might not be the best idea for him to underestimate the Wraith since they also have some programming skills of their own.

and how do these structures (and Midway) just stay stationed in the middle of space?
            They don't. They would naturally move around a bit, but that movement would be minimal, so it wouldn't impact their ability to dial up all those gates in the foreseeable future.

(Ancient designed space gates, though, do have thrusters that allow them to maintain their orbital positions.)

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
              Then it was something that was under construction for how long? A year or more? We never heard about it before from McKay. He just announced such a feat as if it were putting up stop signs on the highway.....and how do these structures (and Midway) just stay stationed in the middle of space?
              And wasn't it a joint effort which included Sam Carter, not just Rodney's idea?

Comment

Working...
              X