PDA

View Full Version : Very Mixed Feelings about Stargate Origins SPOILERS

Davey
August 12th, 2018, 05:10 PM
On the one hand Origins reintroduces the undefined concept from the original film of a single stargate on earth with a second stargate on another single planet, which again raises the whole question of why the stargate system would only be composed of two planets.
On the other it nicely brings in the technical aspects of SG1 with the whoosh! and several other aspects.
Having said that I was disappointed at what seems to be almost a babyish or childish character to the interactions of the main actors (aside from Katherine's father). It doesn't fit with the way light-heartedness was introduced into SG1. To this gets added less of a historical context of events than fighting on the other planet.
Then there is the fact of their travel with no water or food, and no bathing. Yet much of the time they looked as if they had enjoyed a nice shower. The Nazis and Langford had no access to food or water over the 2 or 3 days when the story takes place.
I also noticed a clear attempt to try to put Katherine in the main role with Wasif and Beal as two skinny teenaged underlings.
Although the use of subtitles for the apparent Egyptian language added some authenticity, it also serves as a bit of a distraction.
And similar to the original movie, the entire planet is composed of one single settlement in the middle of a desert (along with a so-called city that is seen from a distance).
Finally I didn't like the final instalment of how the film ends. I don't like the effect of the Langfords losing their memories and of losing Wasif to become a slave soldier (whereby we have to suspend our memory of the go'alds of SG1) and Beal being killed.
Overall I started feeling like giving Origins an A in the first 2 or 3 installments, then a C or worse because of the childish behavior in the following ones, only to see it come back up to a B by the end. My overall grade for Stargate Origins is either B- or C+.
What say the rest of you???

Chaka-Z0
August 13th, 2018, 05:10 AM
To my knowledge, and personal opinion, this has been the opinion of most SG fan in regards to Origins. I mean I didn't hate it, but it was obviously a B-class production.

Davey
August 13th, 2018, 05:30 AM
So the question remains whether anyone in the production end of this will care what fans really care about. Especially those who only liked SG1. Universe was totally boring (at least as far as the few episodes I saw) and Atlantis was a yawn.....especially with the Wraith element, which I didn't like at all. And here in Origins we find the aliens being a small group of females with no males around. Except for their toy soldier Ra. ;-)

Davey
August 13th, 2018, 09:55 AM
What were they thinking when they had Prof. Langford with ropes on his wrists the whole time, or the Nazi in perfectly pressed uniform despite certain perspiration and filth from the fighting and no food or water. Or what were they thinking by having Watuf, Beale, Katuf, etc. as a bunch of babyish teenagers under the leadership of the apparent young college undergraduate Katherine Langford?! Or what were they thinking of contributing to the Stargate canon with the silly fighting and banter??

Falcon Horus
August 15th, 2018, 02:32 AM
So the question remains whether anyone in the production end of this will care what fans really care about.

You'd have to ask the production company about it, Vanishing Angle.
Or you could always ask Mercedes Bryce Morgan since she was both director and executive producer on the project.

Or Lincoln Hoppe, who co-wrote the script and acted in Origins as one of the German soldiers (he's the one Brücke shoots).

Especially those who only liked SG1.

Don't see what that has got to do with anything, Origins is Stargate canon, not SG-1 canon.

And here in Origins we find the aliens being a small group of females with no males around. Except for their toy soldier Ra. ;-)

Aset (or more commonly known as Isis) was the mate of Osiris and the mother of Horus. Serqet was Aset's confident and protector in Egyptian mythology, so it stands to reason that her personal bodyguard is a woman (Serqet). Her child needs a wet nurse, so she has a female slave at hand.

The men of the tent-village were more than eager to fight for Aset so there are most certainly male soldiers around to do her bidding.

Ra -- might have looked like a toy soldier, more a bobble-head from my POV -- but he is in Origins still very much in charge of the pantheon of Goa'uld system lords.

...Katherine Langford...

Sidenote: it's Catherine Langford. Katherine Langford isn't involved with the Stargate franchise. I believe she portrayed the lead in the first season of 13 Reasons Why. ;)

AleksisMi
August 15th, 2018, 09:38 AM
you know what would have been fascinating,aliens get stuck at the antarctic gate, they send a ship to rescue them, unsure where they are they kidnap some humans to get information from them, leading to a wierd team up, and the best part is this could be just post the rebellion, or somewhere from the bc to ad era, maybe even the 1500s to 1800s? they could even throw in edison and tesla getting abducted by the aliens lol maybe they are argueing and morgan as well as westinghouse argueing over the viability of some crazy machine they are having serious differences on how to build and what to do with it... would be pretty cool and possibly pull in more fans to stargate etc

Davey
August 31st, 2018, 11:51 AM
Why do I have this sneaking feeling that producers of Stargate Origins or future productions think that the fans are so blindly craving Stargate films and series that they will accept anything even if it's a B-rated production? I really hope they don't think that way just for the sake of making a quick buck. I hope fans know how to make it clear to them that there has to be quality and not just junk labeled "Stargate Whoopeedoo!"

Platschu
September 1st, 2018, 02:16 PM
Davey : Take it easy, breath normally. In, out, in, out. We all noticed the quality issue and the mixed feeling about the Stargate : Origins, but they were really working from a very-very limited budget. What I can not really accept is the weird humour, so there was sexual abuse scene, then weird cloth fetish in the first few episodes. I believe these type of "jokes" or "dialogues" or "plots" should be banished from the SG lore as it was not worthy for this franchise... Even the "vagina monologues" was too much for my taste in season 10. but probably everybody think different things funny.

mooseman
September 1st, 2018, 06:05 PM
Did they ever say what the budget was?

Platschu
September 1st, 2018, 11:17 PM
I don't know. I am guessing it must have been around half million dollar or even less.

Falcon Horus
September 2nd, 2018, 07:27 AM
Did they ever say what the budget was?

Ask Vanishing Angle -- they are listed as the executive producers. As is Mercedes Bryce.

I don't know. I am guessing it must have been around half million dollar or even less.

I think it's lower than that -- I'd wager it's half that.

Platschu
September 2nd, 2018, 08:43 AM
Probably less, you are right. Since the effects were reused, the actors were "cheap", the set was very simple, then maybe the whole could have been done in 50k-100k dollars.

But anyway, I was still happy to see this little adventure. Maybe the time has already started to heal that wound in my fan heart what it has caused in the first place. :tomato:

Elite Anubis Guard
September 3rd, 2018, 01:01 AM
I'd wager it was probably less than a typical episode of the show. It was made on a shoe-string budget and unfortunately looks it.

Platschu
September 3rd, 2018, 07:46 AM
An average episode was 2.2-2.5 million dollar. If I remember well they had only 80-85 million dollars for 40 episodes while the two SG-1/Atlantis seasons were running together for 3 years. So you can imagine how hard it is to produce 40 hours of tv shows from this budget, but they have cleverly reused and redecorated the existing sets or they have simply written smaller and financially cheaper character centric episodes.

Sometimes I wish we could know what they could have done from a larger budget on a bigger tv chanel. You know a few shows had a budget of 5-10 million dollars per episode (!). I wish they could make a deal with Netflix and the Stargate could return in a glorious way.

Falcon Horus
September 3rd, 2018, 08:19 AM
An average episode was 2.2-2.5 million dollar.

Oh hell no, Origins sure did not have that kind of budget to work with.

It even looks that their budget was so extremely tight they couldn't afford shipping an entire DHD from Switzerland so they shipped the top, and got the bottom from the PropStore guys, which had just been bought by the Swiss guy who already had the top.

Hell, Disney once flew Rey's speederbike which we built to the US, to Barcelona for a weekend, and back to the US. Nope, Vanishing Angle's budget for Origins was nowhere near the millions.

Platschu
September 3rd, 2018, 09:43 AM
Oh hell no, Origins sure did not have that kind of budget to work with.
I was obviously talking about the other SG shows, dearie. ;)

Falcon Horus
September 3rd, 2018, 02:39 PM
I was obviously talking about the other SG shows, dearie. ;)

I know. Just saying that Origins didn't have that kind of money to play with.

Chaka-Z0
September 4th, 2018, 12:30 PM
It had money?

Falcon Horus
September 4th, 2018, 12:50 PM
It had money?

Nothing is for free these days... :p

AleksisMi
September 6th, 2018, 07:00 PM
if you want to see a shoe string budget for a pilot watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S27gG6LZf88

AdamPD
October 2nd, 2018, 12:03 PM
I was really looking forward to it, going to back to the beginning again and seeing something new.......

But oh dear, did that excitement die quickly.

The special fx were terrible, what special effects there were that is.
The acting was poor, the dialogue poor and the story line, in my opinion, was even worse.
I'll never forget the 1960/1970's style batman spinning screen at the end of each episode, lol.

It just seemed like a complete waste of time, money and tarnished the stargate franchise forever in my opinion.

Falcon Horus
October 3rd, 2018, 12:40 AM
I'll never forget the 1960/1970's style batman spinning screen at the end of each episode, lol.

If it's any consolation, that spinning effect is not present in the digital feature download.
But I guess that's too late for you now. :p

It just seemed like a complete waste of time, money and tarnished the stargate franchise forever in my opinion.

Well, I'll be sure to let Stargate Infinity know there's a new contender in town. :lol:

Chaka-Z0
October 3rd, 2018, 09:31 AM
If it's any consolation, that spinning effect is not present in the digital feature download.
But I guess that's too late for you now. :p

Lol funny that Adam mentions that, it was the same story for me. At first I was like, meh, it's not that high quality but its SG I guess, the actors are decent... *end of episode 1* Really? Spinning effect? Guuuhh

Well, I'll be sure to let Stargate Infinity know there's a new contender in town. :lol:
I watched 5 minutes of this crap and nearly burned my screen after.

Platschu
October 3rd, 2018, 02:31 PM
It is worth of watching the Stargate : Origins. Some part of it is really-really bad, but some part of it is quite enjoyable.

I can also suggest the Stargate : Infinity, when you have a calmed 20-25 minutes. Don't expect anything serious as the gate animation is really awkward, but they named the alien races and the characters are also so-so acceptable. The stories are really didactic, but it was meant for children to educate about different values. 5-6 episodes were really creative and entertaining out of 26, so I would give a try.

Elite Anubis Guard
October 3rd, 2018, 11:54 PM
Infinity was nothing more than a fun, non-canon kids show. Not to actually be taken seriously.

Falcon Horus
October 4th, 2018, 10:03 AM
According to one review, the further you are from being 5 years old, the less likely that you'll enjoy it. :p

Platschu
October 4th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Have you seen it at all? Desperate times, desperate SG episodes. It is really not as bad as it seems. The drawings are much better than the comics... We can make an "Infinity rewatch" thread if you need my emotional support. :D

Falcon Horus
October 5th, 2018, 03:50 AM
Have you seen it at all? Desperate times, desperate SG episodes. It is really not as bad as it seems. The drawings are much better than the comics... We can make an "Infinity rewatch" thread if you need my emotional support. :D

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm planning to fit it in with rewatch. ;)

Platschu
October 5th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Since it doesn't connect to the canon, you can start it any time. ;)

Little Origins - Catherine mini fan fiction idea: What if Beal was revived in a sarcophagus? He could be a host of a new Systemlord...

Falcon Horus
October 5th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Little Origins - Catherine mini fan fiction idea: What if Beal was revived in a sarcophagus? He could be a host of a new Systemlord...

Mmm.... all sorts of struggles happening there. Psychological warfare in his head. I like a good whump-fic. :p

Platschu
October 5th, 2018, 10:36 PM
The main problem is if Beal could be alive again, that what would prevent Ra to pay a visit to Earth? But since the Goa'uld are selfish snakes, maybe the new Goa'uld wanted to keep the information for himself/herself. It would have been funny to see him an an enemy of SG-1. ;)

Or Aset could have been a Tok'Ra agent who was planning to start a rebellion. But then it would mean that probably Isis would have been as well, what could be a good reason why Isis and Osiris were locked up in the first place. Just we don't know their role and relationship with Egeria, so maybe their plot was a different one against Ra. The only reason I was thinking on this, because if Aset could have been a Tok'Ra agent then it would explain why she has left them to escape in the end.

Falcon Horus
October 6th, 2018, 07:39 AM
What if Beal were to be a Tok'ra host instead?

That could be fascinating too.

Platschu
October 7th, 2018, 12:51 AM
See? Your fan fiction writing mind is turned on. :)

Honestly Catherine could get younger by Todd or maybe by Linea if she wouldn't have been written off years ago.

Falcon Horus
October 7th, 2018, 10:06 AM
See? Your fan fiction writing mind is turned on. :)

Honestly Catherine could get younger by Todd or maybe by Linea if she wouldn't have been written off years ago.

To hell with canon -- rewrite that write-off. Change history a little... anything is possible... a clone perhaps?

Platschu
October 7th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Anything could have happened between 1938-1945. Maybe Serquet revived Beal and visited Earth to take prisoners...

Garan
October 10th, 2018, 06:05 AM
Davey : Take it easy, breath normally. In, out, in, out. We all noticed the quality issue and the mixed feeling about the Stargate : Origins, but they were really working from a very-very limited budget. What I can not really accept is the weird humour, so there was sexual abuse scene, then weird cloth fetish in the first few episodes. I believe these type of "jokes" or "dialogues" or "plots" should be banished from the SG lore as it was not worthy for this franchise... Even the "vagina monologues" was too much for my taste in season 10. but probably everybody think different things funny.

I agree with you on their attempt at humour. I watched just a few episodes, then I couldn't put myself through any of that silly "the males are clowns and the only female is the star"-humour.

rushy
November 1st, 2018, 07:02 AM
Don't see what that has got to do with anything, Origins is Stargate canon, not SG-1 canon.

Then what was all that stuff with the Harcesis baby?

Falcon Horus
November 1st, 2018, 07:11 AM
Then what was all that stuff with the Harcesis baby?

What about it?

If that classifies as SG-1 canon, than that's a poor link. That's as poor a link as the Goa'uld in film and SG-1.

rushy
November 2nd, 2018, 12:53 PM
What about it?

If that classifies as SG-1 canon, than that's a poor link. That's as poor a link as the Goa'uld in film and SG-1.

Err define a good link then. Cause as far as I'm concerned, if a concept appears in an SG-1 episode and nowhere else(based on pre-existing concepts introduced in SG-1 I might add, such as the repository of knowledge the Goa'uld possess as well as their ability to genetically bond with their hosts as opposed to whatever the heck Ra was in the original movie), then it's a direct link to SG-1 and part of the SG-1 canon specifically.

iliescu
January 9th, 2019, 06:57 AM
Mix feelings is a good thing, it means there is a glimmer of hope and that is important. Am finding Origins pretty much a hundred percent non offensive worth of series but much can be in debate so there is that mix status form. It is fairly special and with talent though so that is also good.

Falcon Horus
January 9th, 2019, 11:17 AM
... there is a glimmer of hope...

Of what? Or where to? It doesn't lead anywhere except to a deus ex machina where everything that happened is undone by a magical wipe of the mind.