Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP David Ogden Stiers 1942-2018

M*A*S*H actor David Ogden Stiers dies at 75

M*A*S*H actor David Ogden Stiers died of cancer on Saturday, his agent confirmed. He was 75.

“I am very sad to report that David died this morning March 3, 2018 peacefully at his home in Newport, Oregon after a courageous battle with bladder cancer,” Stiers’ agent, Mitchell K. Stubbs tweeted. “His talent was only surpassed by his heart.”

Stiers earned two Emmy nominations for his role on M*A*S*H as Major Charles Winchester III, a talented surgeon who filled the void left when Larry Linville’s Frank Burns left the series. Stiers starred on the series from 1977 to 1983 and followed it with regular appearances on North and South, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Matlock, Touched by an Angel, and Frasier, as well as a memorable performance as the father, Al Meyer, in 1985’s Better Off Dead…. He earned a third Emmy nomination in 1984 for his portrayal of United States Olympic Committee founder William Milligan Sloane in the NBC miniseries The First Olympics: Athens 1896.

The actor had a prolific voice acting career which included the roles of Cogsworth in Beauty and the Beast, Governor Ratcliffe and Wiggins in Pocahontas, Jumba in Lilo & Stitch, and the narrator in M. Night Shyamalan’s The Lady in the Water.

Stiers began his career in 1974 in a minor role in Broadway’s The Magic Show. Several small gigs in The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Charlie’s Angels, and Kojak followed before he earned his place on M*A*S*H.

Stiers was also musically inclined: He served as the associate conductor for the Newport Symphony Orchestra in Oregon and guest-conducted dozens of orchestras around the world.
    Attached Files
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

i think i always regreted the loss of hte replicaters in part because of thier usefulness and in part of the tragedy, but he was always one i always loved even when i was pissed at his characters at times, i think i loved him from the point i heard his voice in beauty and the beast which was a film i loved and enjoyed to watch the animated and voiced film of so often

Comment

so sad to hear of his death, one of my favorite shows was/is MASH and was happy to see David Ogden Stiers in a few Stargate Atlantis episodes which he was wonderful in.

Comment

I almost said hi to him once when I lived near Newport, Oregon. He was having lunch at the same place I was, and I recognized him. I was too nervous to go up and say hello. I wish I had. So sorry to hear of his passing. I knew he was involved with the Newport Symphony, but never got to see him conduct.

Comment

Working...
        X