PDA

View Full Version : SGO Apparent Continuity Contradictions - Explanations and Speculation (SPOILERS)

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 17th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Ok we're at the end, the writers intend to make this not contradict existing canon (https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/02/stargate-origins-canon/). At the start there were a lot of apparent contradictions that have now been explained. The intention of this is to make an exhaustive list of everything people might think is a contradiction:

Langfords going through the gate - Aset uses a modified version of the Kara'kesh to wipe the memories of Catherine, Prof Langford and Kasuf, everyone else dies - except Wassif and his boyfriend who are mind wiped into becoming Ra's guards. The only character from the series who would remember is Serqet and Ra.
Using a car battery to power the gate - Not a contradiction - SG1 did the exact same thing in "1969". As well as the car, SGO also used a flood light generator. It's been established that the Gate only needs a bit of power for the initial activation, before using the DHD on the other end to keep it powered.
Aset appearing - this has been considered a contradiction as Aset is another name for Isis and we know that she died before 1939 (The Curse) - This has been explained in the mission file for episode 7 -

To summarise: The Isis in a jar in "The Curse" is the original and Aset is a clone. Isis cloned herself and changed her name is Aset and went underground, recently presenting herself to Ra who has kept her existence secret to hide cloning tech from the other system lords

Catherine is with James and not Ernest - Not a contradiction - remember this was 6 years before the opening of Torment of Tantalus is set, relationships can change. Also, the Kara'kesh takes away Catherine's memories of Beal
Catherine's age - dialogue in TOT implies that Catherine was 21 in 1945, which would make her 15 in SGO

CATHERINE
The military had very little use for a 21-year-old girl at that time. Neither did my father. I only know what little I overheard him and Ernest talking about.
However this would also make her 4 years old in the Giza dig scene, which she isn't. So she was probably approximating her age or referring to her age when the research started
No pyramid on Abydos - There is a pyramid they just don't gate into it, Ra decides to move the gate in episode 10
They could see stars when they went through the gate
I think this is an actual contradiction, but one that can be fanwanked explained away. I was always under the impression that travellers were democularised on passing through the event horizon and re-assembled on the other end. So they shouldn't have seen anything. The gate travelling effect is just a visual thing for the audience.

I guess they could have been referring to the point while their face is in the "water", just before demolecularisation. I don't believe that we ever saw the what they see in this period or heard it described

Goa'uld permanently glowing eyes
Mission file for episode 6 explains that Aset developed retinal implants

The Abydobian healing device

Explained in mission file.

Motahk and Kasuf both call for the Wand of Horus, a special healing device gifted to the villagers by their god, Aset. The device was a new creation of Aset’s, utilizing similar technology seen in a sarcophagus to enable those without high levels of naquadah in their blood to heal wounds in the field. The end use for such a technology was actually for a new military force that Aset had been planning, but gifting a prototype to her tribespeople served the dual purpose of field testing while ensuring their continued loyalty without the aggression her fellow Goa’uld so enjoyed. Aset, in all her wisdom, would never have imagined the wand would be used on a being who served no benefit to her cause, though.

DHD buttons not lighting up when pressed in episode 4
A few people have commented on this, but this isn't an issue. Look at the scene carefully. She presses the first button and it does light up, then she merely searches for the rest and puts her hand on each one as she goes - but doesn't actually press down for the remaining 5

Gate looking more metallic

At first I was willing to dismiss this as a production choice, and therefore wasn't going to include in this list. But we saw in episode 4 a gate being cleaned for the first time in the entire franchise. So it's obvious that all the gates we saw previously were simply dirty :p

Kasuf's age
Kasuf appears to be late teens in this, which would put him in his 70s-80s by the time of the original film/early SG1. The original Kasuf actor (Erick Avari) is a lot younger than this (40s/50s) - but I think we can all agree that he looks a lot older than this in the film. - If indeed it is the same Kasuf

Catherine calling the Stargate the "gate"
This one is especially nitpicky - but she should have known it as the "doorway to heaven" - Daniel Jackson was the first to translate it as "Stargate" in the movie.
That said, the Nazi man does refer it as the "gate" in front of her - and he probably got the translation correct.

Catherine working on the gate
In SGO Catherine is presented as Prof Langford's assistant and seems to know a lot about the gate. However in TTOT their relationship seems strained and she isn't working on it. We know that they don't have the best father-daughter relationship due to how easily they got into an argument in Ep1. Perhaps in the intervening years between SGO and TTOT they had a falling out, and this was compounded by the fact the US military wouldn't allow her to work on it.

Please use this thread to discuss other contradictions and speculate on possible explanations for all this.

In terms of it fitting into canon... There's no real impact on the story of the movie or SG1. It's a bit like a Fandomonuim novel or Big Finish audio in that sense. You can take it or leave it.

mooseman
February 17th, 2018, 02:35 PM
I explain her age as that she meant she was 21 when she got rejected when the US program started, which I assume was when it was brought to America in 1939. Which makes her 20-21 in Origins.

Most people complaining about the VW powering the gate don't seem to understand they had a separate generator as well. (I'll admit I was a bit perplexed at that, until Catherine did it.)

NickEast
February 17th, 2018, 03:35 PM
No pyramid on Abydos - remember it was nearly 60 years before the movie so it obviously wasn't built yet

How do you know there is no pyramid? It's more likely the pyramid was built as soon as Ra colonized the planet, because he needed a safe place to land each time he would come in his ship, the same way with the Giza pyramids, which were built not long after he arrived on Earth.

I have another explanation, bear with me:

Do you remember the Star Trek reboot? It was both a sequel and a reboot. It kept all the continuity from the existing franchise but introduced a major event that chronologically happened after Star Trek Nemesis, which saw the Romulans and Spock travel back in time. That time traveling changed the past, resulting in the alternate timeline that set up the reboot.

Now, Stargate Origins is considered (by MGM) as a prequel and canon. So what if it's the reverse of Star Trek? Instead of creating a new timeline, the events take place in an alternate timeline chronologically before any of the original continuity. Something eventually happens that causes the timeline to change into the true timeline that we see in the film and shows. This way, the events of Origins still have to happen in order to get to what we consider the "prime" timeline, while those of us who don't like Origins can safely ignore all of it as if it never happened.

Remember the Atlantis episode "Before I Sleep"? It explained that in the "original" timeline, Atlantis never resurfaced and the whole expedition was lost, except for Dr. Weir who accidentally traveled far back in time to right before the Lanteans left for Earth. This changed the timeline so that Janus programmed the city to resurface once it detects the expedition arriving, resulting in the "prime" timeline we see from the pilot onward.

thekillman
February 17th, 2018, 10:51 PM
There's been a lot of fuss about the canon being broken, and a lot of people getting mad about it and wanting to boycott the show because of it. Now of course the big thing is the Langford's going through the gate, which hasn't been explained yet, but I've also seen complaints about stuff that aren't contractions at all.

I'm happy you made this. Criticism of a series is fine, but i think SGO is receiving more hate than it really deserves. I also don't think canon is nearly as important as people think. SG1 broke with loads of movie canon, yet it turned out fine.

Langfords going through the gate - Currently unexplained. I recently re-watched Torment of Tantalus and it's clear that in 1945 the Langfords didn't know the gate's true purpose, they had assumed it was a weapon.
Daddy langford thinks he's in the past, whereas the occultist seems to think that he's literally in heaven (though think greek "olympus" heaven, not christian "souls passed on" heaven). It could be that Catherine completely misunderstands the nature and purpose of the gate.

By the time of the movie it seems they knew and understood most of the gate (again, they'd dialled up to 6 symbols), but the true purpose wasn't understood until daniel correctly translated "gateway to heaven" as "star gate".

No pyramid on Abydos - remember it was nearly 60 years before the movie so it obviously wasn't built yet
Was there? I thought they are in the main pyramid. But this could explain a lot actually. If the pyramid is still under construction, then the Gate would have to be moved there. It could make it inaccessible for a few years as the Gate is put in storage and then moved (wouldn't want a kawoosh into your sparkly new pyramid).

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 18th, 2018, 12:26 AM
How do you know there is no pyramid? It's more likely the pyramid was built as soon as Ra colonized the planet, because he needed a safe place to land each time he would come in his ship, the same way with the Giza pyramids, which were built not long after he arrived on Earth.

Was there? I thought they are in the main pyramid. But this could explain a lot actually. If the pyramid is still under construction, then the Gate would have to be moved there. It could make it inaccessible for a few years as the Gate is put in storage and then moved (wouldn't want a kawoosh into your sparkly new pyramid).

I'm referring to this establishing shot:

https://i.imgur.com/Dabpus0r.jpg

I figured the building is the base of the pyramid we see in the movie and show, and that the Pyramid hadn't been built. But I guess the other explanation is simply that the gate gets moved to the pyramid.

Daddy langford thinks he's in the past, whereas the occultist seems to think that he's literally in heaven (though think greek "olympus" heaven, not christian "souls passed on" heaven). It could be that Catherine completely misunderstands the nature and purpose of the gate.

By the time of the movie it seems they knew and understood most of the gate (again, they'd dialled up to 6 symbols), but the true purpose wasn't understood until daniel correctly translated "gateway to heaven" as "star gate".

Here's the relevant dialogue:

CATHERINE

My father headed up a research team that worked on the 'gate during the war. Actually, they didn't know what it was then. President Roosevelt was like that—curious. They suspected the 'gate was a weapon and could be used as one. Nothing ever came of it, though.

FLASHBACK

INT—LANGFORD DINING ROOM,1945

[Ernest and Catherine's father, Langford, are seated at the dining room table.]

ERNEST
(excitedly)
There must be over a hundred million possible combinations. If it's merely a combination lock used to turn it on, why 39 symbols? Why not six?
LANGFORD
(irritably)
What are you saying?
ERNEST
They're not combinations. They're destinations, and we just found one.
LANGFORD
A doorway to heaven can mean any number of different things. It could simply mean that anyone who passes through there will die…

We see that Ernest is on the right lines here.
The prof speculates that it might kill you, how can he think this when he went through previously and survived?

There's also the fact that TOT is implied to be Catherine's first trip in the gate.

It might be that the Langfords had misunderstood the gate, but I think the above implies they had 0 idea what it was. They should at least have an inkling after this

Supergater
February 18th, 2018, 01:05 AM
Yes! Thank you for making this thread. I also believe that its still premature the judge the dis-continuity of the show. How many times have we seen the main plot twist/explanations come only in the 3rd act of a movie that blow people's mind/preconception (like the total unexpected villain twist in Spiderman:Homecoming).

Langfords going through the gate - Currently unexplained. I recently re-watched Torment of Tantalus and it's clear that in 1945 the Langfords didn't know the gate's true purpose, they had assumed it was a weapon
My theory is that they both know the gate's true purpose and they cover it up. The why has to do with what happens for the remainder of the story. Or it will be a simple inconsistency unlike the differences between the movie and SG-1.

No pyramid on Abydos
Best guess is Ra built it on top of Aset's palace once Aset is killed/captured/exiled? by the end of the SGO series, with the Stargate left inside the palace/inner pyramid chamber, so that O'Neill and Jackson arrive years later in the movie.

Platschu
February 20th, 2018, 12:57 AM
I hope the last scene will be that they put the gate in box on the board of the Achilleus. That would be a nice tie to Continuum. It would be even better if Ben Browder could have made a small cameo (or someone with the same clothes).

jerem
February 20th, 2018, 05:42 AM
My theory is that they both know the gate's true purpose and they cover it up. The why has to do with what happens for the remainder of the story. Or it will be a simple inconsistency unlike the differences between the movie and SG-1.

One would wonder why Catherine will lobby for so many years to get the program started again... Waste 2 years not making any progress before hiring Daniel Jackson.... And why need Daniel Jackson in the first place when you already know the symbols are star constellations, and that you needed a 7-symbol combination to open the gate?

Yeah, perhaps it's a cover-up... But very very very very very far-fetched explanation when put in contrast with the character's actions later in her life..

I hope the last scene will be that they put the gate in box on the board of the Achilleus. That would be a nice tie to Continuum. It would be even better if Ben Browder could have made a small cameo (or someone with the same clothes).

With a cameo from Ben Browder... That would be awesome :)

Osiristi
February 20th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Regarding Aset. The Stargate Official Fanpage on Facebook has actually said that the canopic jar issue will be resolved during the next 7 episodes. Kind of spoilery for them to say, actually. They have also commented on multiple occasions that all apparent continuity issues will indeed be resolved. I doubt all will, but it would seem they hit some kind of reset button at the end of the show.

Here's a link to the Aset comment:
Facebook post (https://www.facebook.com/officialstargate/videos/10156115122451119/?comment_id=10156115673981119&reply_comment_id=10156115680796119&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D)

jerem
February 20th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Regarding Aset. The Stargate Official Fanpage on Facebook has actually said that the canopic jar issue will be resolved during the next 7 episodes. Kind of spoilery for them to say, actually. They have also commented on multiple occasions that all apparent continuity issues will indeed be resolved. I doubt all will, but it would seem they hit some kind of reset button at the end of the show.

Here's a link to the Aset comment:
Facebook post (https://www.facebook.com/officialstargate/videos/10156115122451119/?comment_id=10156115673981119&reply_comment_id=10156115680796119&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D)

Awesome to hear this!!! Thanks for sharing!

Very interesting! Nice to see how much attention to detail they've paid.

Now - from The Curse we know that Isis was sealed in a jar 1000s of years ago, and by 1931 it was at the bottom of an ocean. So unless there's time travel shenanigans going on, she may have just faked this... Maybe the symbiote escaped the jar and found a host on earth in 1931, and made their way through the gate.

In "The Curse", the symbiote was found still in the jar, dead and intact/complete. It was examined by Sam & Janet. So it can't really have escaped the jar AFTER 1931 and come back to it BEFORE 2000 while it was at the bottom of the ocean.

I see three remaining possibilities, feel free to add any other:
1. Timeline erasure (lame) by either time travel, parallel universe, etc.
2. The dead symbiote found in the jar was a clone. Which means Osiris/Sarah Gardner was probably a clone too.
3. Still is a continuity mistake after all. Their explanation won't completely add-up and make sense.

While #1 feels a bit "lame", they could always tie-in a different timeline explanation with the events from Moebius. There were fishes in O'Neill's pond after all. But I'd hate to think that we must from now on disregard 8 seasons of SG-1 and doubt everything that happened before Moebius as "might or might not" have happened. Putting this scene as a joke is fine (as was the original intent), making it a meaningful integral part of the Stargate storyline is quite another.

The hint from the Facebook comment seems to disproves the Gateworld theory that Aset & Isis are not the same Goa'uld. Why else would there be something to resolve about her "being in a jar"? If it's a different Goa'uld then there will be nothing to explain. And apparently there's going to be an explanation.

But the important point here is that this issue WILL BE resolved, and not left unanswered :) :)

Ian-S
February 20th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Maybe the Asguard turn up and say "nope, not progressed enough to play in our sandbox, try again in 50 years" and wipe everybody's minds regarding the trip.

GateWorld
February 20th, 2018, 05:37 PM
The hint from the Facebook comment seems to disproves the Gateworld theory that Aset & Isis are not the same Goa'uld. Why else would there be something to resolve about her "being in a jar"? If it's a different Goa'uld then there will be nothing to explain. And apparently there's going to be an explanation.
I'll have to rewatch the rest of the series along with everyone before I say for sure. But offhand I don't recall any evident explanation of a symbiote called "Isis" (or Aset) being in the canopic jar found by the Stuart expedition ...

It could be that Aset's final fate will be explained in the Episode 10 Mission Files on Stargate Command.

It's theoretically susceptible to a logical retcon. But unless we have a legit timeline change caused by "Moebius," a retcon would seem to depend upon Seth being tricked into thinking the symbiote he was imprisoning was Isis when in fact it really wasn't.

(I'm also not sold on the Goa'uld having cloning technology back in the 1930s ...)

jerem
February 20th, 2018, 07:26 PM
I'll have to rewatch the rest of the series along with everyone before I say for sure. But offhand I don't recall any evident explanation of a symbiote called "Isis" (or Aset) being in the canopic jar found by the Stuart expedition ...

It could be that Aset's final fate will be explained in the Episode 10 Mission Files on Stargate Command.

It's theoretically susceptible to a logical retcon. But unless we have a legit timeline change caused by "Moebius," a retcon would seem to depend upon Seth being tricked into thinking the symbiote he was imprisoning was Isis when in fact it really wasn't.

(I'm also not sold on the Goa'uld having cloning technology back in the 1930s ...)

There were two jars recovered by the Steward expedition. One called the "Isis jar" and the other called the "Osiris jar". The Osiris jar was lost in a lab explosion which killed Daniel's mentor/professor (thus triggering that particular episode's story). The jar mostly seen throughout the episode is the "Isis jar" in which they find a perfectly preserved Goa'uld symbiote, most presumably Isis itself considering the jar's name.

Considering it was called the "Isis jar" multiple times in "The Curse", one must assume it refers to the identity of the symbiote within. Especially when considering the other jar was referred to as the "Osiris jar" and turned out to really be containing Osiris.

You could still have a case here of mistaken identity. Seth could have put someone else inside the jar without knowing himself, that wouldn't be incompatible. Still not a satisfying explanation though if you ask me.

I'll call it possibility #4
4. Case of mistaken identity on the part of Seth.

I agree. Seems like a retcon is still probably the safest bet at this point. Might come in the 10th episode's "Mission Files" as you suggested.

While I'd be extremely surprised (and a bit sad) that Isis turn out to be Aset's clone, I wouldn't call "cloning technology" out-of-reach considering what we, lowly humans, already are achieving in this area since the 90s. We even have a great examples in-universe like in "Nightwalkers", where Flemming from Immunitech successfully cloned Adrian Conrad's symbiote using purely human technology. If humans can clone symbiotes, surely a Goa'uld scientist could too?

(I don't really enjoy the cloning explanation either, but the other hypotheses I've seen surface so far haven't been very compelling either)

The more I struggle on the subject of Aset's identity, the more I just want to avoid it entirely. Why couldn't the writer pick-up any other yet unnamed/unknown Goa'uld? :p The fact that they picked Aset for their protagonist, and that it seems they really made their homework when writing the story for SGO, leads me to believe this is no accident/coincidence.

jerem
February 20th, 2018, 07:39 PM
Maybe the Asguard turn up and say "nope, not progressed enough to play in our sandbox, try again in 50 years" and wipe everybody's minds regarding the trip.

Probably my favorite theory yet:D

:tecmate:

jerem
February 20th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Anyone noticed the LIVE rewatch for tomorrow?

The fact it's "Torment of Tentalus" and "1969" looks too much of a coincidence with the picked-up "inconsistencies" about SGO to be an accident.

I'm thinking they want to refresh everyone's memory, in advance of the next SGO episodes released the next day. Or perhaps simply respond to the inconsistency backlash from last week's episodes.

thekillman
February 20th, 2018, 10:00 PM
While I'd be extremely surprised (and a bit sad) that Isis turn out to be Aset's clone, I wouldn't call "cloning technology" out-of-reach considering what we, lowly humans, already are achieving in this area since the 90s. We even have a great examples in-universe like in "Nightwalkers", where Flemming from Immunitech successfully cloned Adrian Conrad's symbiote using purely human technology. If humans can clone symbiotes, surely a Goa'uld scientist could too?

Cloning is one of those things where Stargate acted like it would be super complex whereas nowadays it's pretty much doable in a reasonable fashion.

Supergater
February 20th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Considering it was called the "Isis jar" multiple times in "The Curse", one must assume it refers to the identity of the symbiote within. Especially when considering the other jar was referred to as the "Osiris jar" and turned out to really be containing Osiris.

You could still have a case here of mistaken identity. Seth could have put someone else inside the jar without knowing himself, that wouldn't be incompatible. Still not a satisfying explanation though if you ask me.

I agree that that's possible but I would like to point out that in that same episode, Dr Jackson said "the hieroglyphs identify the jar as Isis...Goa'uld symbol indicate Isis & Osiris suffered some kind on punishment/banishment", so these facts should more likely to be (in show) accurate/still canon with SGO. But also said was "legend has it that Osiris was placed in magic box and dump into Nile by Seth", keyword on LEGEND has it, meaning part of the statement is mostly true with possible deviations. My guess here is the banishment is going to be episode 10 of SGO with deviation from legend being Ra instead of Seth doing the banishment. (Boy are there a lot of theories flying around with just 3 SGO episodes released :lol:)

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 21st, 2018, 04:47 AM
In "The Curse", the symbiote was found still in the jar, dead and intact/complete. It was examined by Sam & Janet. So it can't really have escaped the jar AFTER 1931 and come back to it BEFORE 2000 while it was at the bottom of the ocean.

I obviously need to rewatch The Curse. I was going to edit my post but ended up deleting it...

(Boy are there a lot of theories flying around with just 3 SGO episodes released :lol:)

Welcome to Gateworld lol....

One thought I had with this whole thing.... Prof Langford theorises that they are in the past. Maybe they hit a solar flare and they are...

thekillman
February 21st, 2018, 09:04 AM
One thought I had with this whole thing.... Prof Langford theorises that they are in the past. Maybe they hit a solar flare and they are...

Stuff like this just reminds me of how insanely many things the Stargate has done.

Platschu
February 21st, 2018, 01:55 PM
Just a theoratical question. When Mitchell escaped through the stargate in the Continuum then he must have showed up in 1929 through the gate in Egypt on Earth. Was the gate digged out? It must have been, so how could nobody notice an incoming traveller? Or shall we treat this plothole as a new AU created while "Origins" plays in our normal reality?

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 21st, 2018, 02:10 PM
Just a theoratical question. When Mitchell escaped through the stargate in the Continuum then he must have showed up in 1929 through the gate in Egypt on Earth. Was the gate digged out? It must have been, so how could nobody notice an incoming traveller? Or shall we treat this plothole as a new AU created while "Origins" plays in our normal reality?
I've said it before, but for this reason I'm hoping they managed to get Ben Browder in the show

Platschu
February 21st, 2018, 02:31 PM
I doubt that he will be involved because then we have heard about it I believe and he should stay away from the gate to not cause any time paradox. I still hope to see him in the final scene of Origins if it ends up with the Achilleus. But if they plan to have a second season then maybe they will leave the transport out. Or if the second season could be laid in the USA then Paul McGillion could make a little cameo again as Ernest (even if he would look much older now).

jerem
February 21st, 2018, 02:44 PM
Cloning is one of those things where Stargate acted like it would be super complex whereas nowadays it's pretty much doable in a reasonable fashion.

What made it look super complex?
Granted the Asgard cloning problem was an unsolvable one in the end. But the problem wasn't cloning per-sé, but rather the consequences that result with multiple generations of clones. Or as Carter put it so O'Neill could understand, the problems with making a copy of a copy of a copy. Eventually there's degradation.
I don't remember anything in particular that made the process of cloning itself seem super hard. The only thing that comes to mind is from "Resurrection", but there again it wasn't cloning itself the difficulty, it was combining human and Goa'uld DNA together in a viable living being that proved difficult.

I agree that that's possible but I would like to point out that in that same episode, Dr Jackson said "the hieroglyphs identify the jar as Isis...Goa'uld symbol indicate Isis & Osiris suffered some kind on punishment/banishment", so these facts should more likely to be (in show) accurate/still canon with SGO. But also said was "legend has it that Osiris was placed in magic box and dump into Nile by Seth", keyword on LEGEND has it, meaning part of the statement is mostly true with possible deviations. My guess here is the banishment is going to be episode 10 of SGO with deviation from legend being Ra instead of Seth doing the banishment. (Boy are there a lot of theories flying around with just 3 SGO episodes released :lol:)

Yeah, the "legend" allow for some potential leeway story-wise, as to who might have put them in the jar, and for which purpose. That's where I feel a retcon will help fill-in the gaps and make it consistent (so we are promised).

Seemed obvious to me that the intent was to show Langford being wrong once again instead of providing another possible explanation to their adventures. But I suppose that's always possible at this point.

Hmmm, interesting. I had not considered Mitchell coming back in 1929.
Since the gate was raised in Giza in 1928, we can safely assume he landed in Egypt. Otherwise he would have landed in the crevasse in Antarctica :P. Perhaps even landing in the same warehouse as we saw in SGO, depending if the gate was there for the whole 10 years they were studying it.

I suppose it's always possible he came through unnoticed. Nothing says the gate was being guarded 24/7 in 1929. Even in SGO's first episode there's nobody noticing the Nazi coming in until they are out of their car.

Now I really really want to see a Ben Browder cameo in the last episode, as they put the gate in the Achilles :)

Since I don't see any reason to call it a plothole, I see no reason to split the Stargate timeline in two. Hopefully that will remain true forever! I'd hate to see them do something like they did in the latest series of StarTrek movies, splitting the timeline in two independent story lines.

Platschu
February 21st, 2018, 03:04 PM
If Mitchell could have arrived in the warehouse maybe he was able to walk out from the warehouse as you said. It would be nice if he could save the Langfords at the end without revealing his identity then he could convice them to move it the USA immediately.

I don't remember the ToT perfectly, but where have they found the gate address to Heliopolis?

Other things. Is there any chance that can upgrade the wormhole effect and gate sound effects (kawoosh, entering wormhole, locking chevrons etc.) in the next few episodes? It is so disturbing that they haven't used what were established in SG-1. :( But it was amazing to see the entering scene like in the SG movie, so they definately surprised me with this. Well done.

edit. I had an other idea. What if Dietrich, the German contract of Prof.Langford is Mitchell? I know that the chances are almost zero, but he has arrived 10 years ago. We could see it in a short flashback, then he started a new identity while he tried to support and protect Prof. Langford and Catherine. He had 10 years to learn German and to find out where the DHD is. It could explain how the Nazis had his diary... And he also arrived to the SGC after Catherine has died, so probably they have never met later. Anyway I am sure I have overcomplicated the story now. :D

Elite Anubis Guard
February 22nd, 2018, 02:19 AM
I don't believe they ever stated where they found the address for Heliopolis.

NickEast
February 22nd, 2018, 04:58 AM

Hmm, I recall that Daniel mentioned in the episode that the address was similar to Abydos, which meant the planet was very close to Earth like Abydos and could thus be dialed without taking stellar drift into account.

jerem
February 22nd, 2018, 01:27 PM
edit. I had an other idea. What if Dietrich, the German contract of Prof.Langford is Mitchell? I know that the chances are almost zero, but he has arrived 10 years ago. We could see it in a short flashback, then he started a new identity while he tried to support and protect Prof. Langford and Catherine. He had 10 years to learn German and to find out where the DHD is. It could explain how the Nazis had his diary... And he also arrived to the SGC after Catherine has died, so probably they have never met later. Anyway I am sure I have overcomplicated the story now. :D

Damn the speculation is going out of hand... But now I think we're crossing in the domain of fanfiction ;) I would LOVE that to be true though.

I don't remember the ToT perfectly, but where have they found the gate address to Heliopolis?

I believe it was understood to be found through the process of random dialing. It was actually the first ever discovered address unknown to the Goa'ulds (Not on the Abydos cartouche). Sam brought that point up during the mission briefing, and Daniel followed by saying it was their first evidence that the Goa'uld didn't build the Stargates.

ToT was on the LIVE rewatch yesterday on Youtube, so that's why my memory is so fresh about it :P

Hmm, I recall that Daniel mentioned in the episode that the address was similar to Abydos, which meant the planet was very close to Earth like Abydos and could thus be dialed without taking stellar drift into account.

Correct!

jerem
February 22nd, 2018, 05:34 PM
Some people had complained about the gate looking different than in the film (too shiny for example).

I think they just provided an explanation at the start of the 4th episode.
We see a guy cleaning it! Perhaps that the first clean gate we've ever seen? In the movie it was just dirty?
:lol:

NickEast
February 22nd, 2018, 10:17 PM
Some people had complained about the gate looking different than in the film (too shiny for example).

I think they just provided an explanation at the start of the 4th episode.
We see a guy cleaning it! Perhaps that the first clean gate we've ever seen? In the movie it was just dirty?
:lol:

I think most people complain about the fact it doesn't look like the gate from the series, which is what Origins is supposed to fit in. I don't think any amount of cleaning is going to help :D, unless they remove the grey dirt on the chevrons and they suddenly turn red :p

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 23rd, 2018, 12:46 AM
Yep, it's obvious now - all the gates we saw before were just dirty :lol:

Couple of other things from this week's episodes:

Should they? Did I misunderstand this scene? I was always under the impression that travellers were democularised on passing through the event horizon and re-assembled on the other end. So they shouldn't have seen anything. The gate travelling effect is just a visual thing for the audience.

I guess they could have been referring to the point while their face is in the "water", just before demolecularisation.

We never saw this in the series, but I guess this isn't proof they can't

The explanation for Aset/Isis is hinted at. She refers to her resurrection in the show, and the mission files said this

especially after Ra had allowed her a rare second chance - a literal rebirth, if you will

If anyone is wondering how the Abydonians used the healing device:

Motahk and Kasuf both call for the Wand of Horus, a special healing device gifted to the villagers by their god, Aset. The device was a new creation of Aset’s, utilizing similar technology seen in a sarcophagus to enable those without high levels of naquadah in their blood to heal wounds in the field. The end use for such a technology was actually for a new military force that Aset had been planning, but gifting a prototype to her tribespeople served the dual purpose of field testing while ensuring their continued loyalty without the aggression her fellow Goa’uld so enjoyed. Aset, in all her wisdom, would never have imagined the wand would be used on a being who served no benefit to her cause, though.

Anyone have any other nitpicks?

Osiristi
February 23rd, 2018, 03:33 AM
Why didn't the DHD buttons light up? From what I remember, even if the address is incorrect, the buttons should work.

Supergater
February 23rd, 2018, 04:02 AM
Why didn't the DHD buttons light up? From what I remember, even if the address is incorrect, the buttons should work.

It did light up when Catherine pressed the first symbol. Either she was merely searching-by-hand/"touching" the remaining symbol or the props department ran of out budget to put lights on all the symbols or fix them after sitting in the warehouse since SG-1 ended. :lol:

Osiristi
February 23rd, 2018, 04:13 AM
Yes, I obviously meant the following five symbols :P It could be that she didn't press them yet, of course.

Is it the same prop as in SG-1? It looks slightly different somehow... Could be my memory of course.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 23rd, 2018, 04:35 AM
Yes, I obviously meant the following five symbols :P It could be that she didn't press them yet, of course.

Is it the same prop as in SG-1? It looks slightly different somehow... Could be my memory of course.

yeah, it's clear she didn't actually press the other 5.

apparently it is the same prop - source (https://www.facebook.com/StargatePropShop/photos/a.214530565424535.1073741836.212921995585392/782898251921094/?type=3&theater)

Osiristi
February 23rd, 2018, 04:56 AM
Yes, I rewatched the scene. She indeed pressed only the first one.

It's very interesting how this show mixes the canons of the original movie and SG-1. For example, the Stargate symbols on Abydos, the Goa'uld and the DHD are obviously SG-1 canon, whereas the gate itself (especially the chevron locking process), the puddle and the unstable vortex are movie canon.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 23rd, 2018, 09:34 AM
Yes, I rewatched the scene. She indeed pressed only the first one.

It's very interesting how this show mixes the canons of the original movie and SG-1. For example, the Stargate symbols on Abydos, the Goa'uld and the DHD are obviously SG-1 canon, whereas the gate itself (especially the chevron locking process), the puddle and the unstable vortex are movie canon.

remember that SG1 and the movie are supposed to be the same canon, and SGO is supposed to fit into both.

The intent was always that SG1 acts a sequel to the movie, though you do have to do a lot of fanwanking to harmonise the two. For this reason the movie and SG1 are in different universes in my head. (Perhaps SGO takes place in a hybrid universe...)

Osiristi
February 23rd, 2018, 10:10 AM
Well, they are not exactly in the same canon. Instead, SG-1 has retconned the elements of the movie the new producers found unfitting, thus making it a new canon. However, Origins seems to indeed be some kind of a hybrid of the two canons, mixing many things. I would have preferred full-on SG-1 canon, to be honest, but I don't mind it this way either.

jerem
February 23rd, 2018, 02:18 PM

Should they? Did I misunderstand this scene? I was always under the impression that travellers were democularised on passing through the event horizon and re-assembled on the other end. So they shouldn't have seen anything. The gate travelling effect is just a visual thing for the audience.

I guess they could have been referring to the point while their face is in the "water", just before demolecularisation.

Yeah, to me that's a HUGE dealbreaker regarding canonicity of SGO. Not only it goes against the basic laws of gate travel established in all previous iterations, it even contradicts "common sense" after seeing the demolecularization process in SGO itself. I'd love to see an explanation on how "energy" can have eyes that see!

No, you didn't misunderstand the scene since she describe what she saw as "stars".
If they were referring to things they "see" before demolecularization, then they should have included stars... The CGI animation of the vortex shows only blackness before movement/travelling starts.

jerem
February 23rd, 2018, 04:05 PM
I wanted to share my latest thoughts on the issues of Aset/Isis identity stuff...

Since the child was confirmed to be Harsesis, it seemed more and more to point towards the fact that Aset/Isis must have been banished/punished for creating such a thing. Serqet's anger on the subject seems to support this. She might even denounce her to Ra (or Seth?)

If Aset/Isis is found out and punished for eternity by being placed in a canopic jar for these actions, it would make sense that the occupant of the other canopic jar found along was condemned for the same crime. Thus it would mean that Osiris is the father. Furthermore, we already know that Osiris usually inhabited a male host (male + female = possible child conception). In SG-1's "Summit", Zipacna also reveals that Isis was Osiri's queen, just like Apophis called Amunet his queen. One can thus assume they formed a couple. All this adds strength to the theory that Isis and Osiris are the parents of the Harcesis, which would nicely tie-in with the common crime punishment in canopic jars for eternity.

Based on the whole "Horus, son-of-Isis" etymology of the Harsesis name, I suspect that whoever banished Isis and Osiris (Ra? Seth?) corrected the "crime" by implanting the child with a Goa'uld symbiote to retain the knowledge. The chosen symbiote would be none other than Horus/Heru'ur.
The symbiote itself could still be an offspring of Hathor, mother of all Goa'uld and thus restauring Teal'c statement in "Thor's Chariot" about his pedigree.

The only holes in all this that I find (feel free to point more) are the following:
- Still a time issue. The jars are found 7-8 years prior to the events in SGO
- Why the etymology of "Harcesis", the name for a host, be named after the symbiote eventually inhabiting it? I suppose it can easily be explained by saying that most humans don't see a difference between the host and the parasite that inhabits it, and thus the two got blended together.
- How does Seth fits in all this? He's supposed to be the one to banish Isis and Osiris, while story-wise Ra would seem a lot more logical.
- How come Serqet and Aset call the child Harcesis? Wouldn't such a name appear at a later time, when Heru'ur gets implanted in the kid? One possible explanation is that subtitle translation doesn't translate word for word, and the subtitles were written much later than 1939 :P

Nobycane74
February 24th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Well, I am not so much a new member, but I have forgotten my old login/passcode from many many moons ago...I stopped posting when SGU was canceled. But I have returned as Stargate has.....exciting.

Upon reading this thread, I have wondered a bit about the continuity errors as well.......but first of all, the series is pretty good considering it is a web series, and not a full-fledged series on a network.

I was confused at first that the individuals traveled to Abydos initially... but then again this predates the 1993 movies original plot - so of course there is going to be differences in the looks of the locations.

The Goa'uld characters (to me) resemble the characteristics from the '93 movie rather than the SG1 series... not an issue to for me personally, but a nice touch.

Everyone has talked about the issue of remembering the the SG1 episode "Torment of Tantalus", and the whole dialog of no one had been able to activate the gate since 1945. I get that continuity error and/or plot hole too, and it initially has bothered me (so far). But there could be an easier explanation down the line that maybe hasn't been thought of...what if, Aset/Isis (since she is a sympathizer to humanity to some extent), before allowing or sending these Earth travelers back through the stargate, uses Goa'uld technology of somesort and erases their memory of any knowledge of Abydos, Aset/Isis, the stargate functions, etc. in order to preserve Abydos and the knowledge of Earth from Ra'?
I see it as if Ra' knows that if Earth beings have advanced to the point in uncovering the stargate, learning its language and meanings, as well as figuring it out that its a traveling device rather than an artifact, then it could mean a potential threat to Ra' and therefore needing to be exterminated...which was the subplot in Stargate the movie.
So Aset/Isis will send them back to Earth and have their minds wiped of the knowledge and recent experiences they have endured.

Just my thought.

Platschu
February 24th, 2018, 03:07 PM
I have found some filming errors:

episode 4
- the curtain behind the stargate is changing every scene

episode 5
- there are wheel tracks on the dune in the background
- when they are walkking in the desert the footprints of the cameraman is already there in the sand in front of them

P-90_177
February 24th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Yep, it's obvious now - all the gates we saw before were just dirty :lol:

We never saw this in the series, but I guess this isn't proof they can't

The explanation for Aset/Isis is hinted at. She refers to her resurrection in the show, and the mission files said this

If anyone is wondering how the Abydonians used the healing device:

Anyone have any other nitpicks?

Yeah, to me that's a HUGE dealbreaker regarding canonicity of SGO. Not only it goes against the basic laws of gate travel established in all previous iterations, it even contradicts "common sense" after seeing the demolecularization process in SGO itself. I'd love to see an explanation on how "energy" can have eyes that see!

No, you didn't misunderstand the scene since she describe what she saw as "stars".
If they were referring to things they "see" before demolecularization, then they should have included stars... The CGI animation of the vortex shows only blackness before movement/travelling starts.

The shows have always described gate travel as being a hell of a wild wide. Lt. Hayley describes it as "a trip". Langford herself calls it "some piece of cake" in ToT. That to me implies that they've always been able to experience the actual gate travel as we the viewer sees it. The actual shot itself is meant to directly reference the first time Daniel steps through the gate in the film.

jerem
February 24th, 2018, 10:49 PM
[I]So Aset/Isis will send them back to Earth and have their minds wiped of the knowledge and recent experiences they have endured.

Just my thought.

Yes, this is the first, most obvious way of resolving the issues. Most of us don't really like a mind-wipe, it's too much of a cheat and implies that none of it has ever really happened, except for the viewers (us). It's like some series where a character simply wakes up, and then you learn that the whole last season you just watch meant nothing because it was a dream. We're hoping it's not gonna be resolved this way, but it looks more and more likely.

The shows have always described gate travel as being a hell of a wild wide. Lt. Hayley describes it as "a trip". Langford herself calls it "some piece of cake" in ToT. That to me implies that they've always been able to experience the actual gate travel as we the viewer sees it. The actual shot itself is meant to directly reference the first time Daniel steps through the gate in the film.

I guess we have a very different reading of it.

To me, a "wild ride" never implied more than meaning this is quite the experience to traverse the event horizon, nothing more. One second your stepping through the wall of water, the next second you're in a totally different setting. And I assume the process of disassembly and re-assembly at the other end must create a strange, wild feeling.
As for the "piece of cake" part, it simply means that it's not complicated/difficult. Just walk through and that's it.

However much I would like to believe the transit can be seen, it just doesn't add up scientifically to start with. And contradicts every-time we see the characters acting like nothing happened in between, like sometime finishing one's sentence they started before entering. Nothing conscious can happen while you are in transit and only exist as pure energy. Contradict that, and to me it's like shattering my belief system. Scientific accuracy is a pillar of why Stargate is my favorite franchise. They were adamant to make everything as believable as possible, current to our current scientific knowledge. That's what made SGU so attractive to me in it's second season, when they revealed Destiny's mission. That was the epiphany moment to me that connected everything together, and everything was now making sense. So in-tune scientifically.

Please don't make me hate Stargate... Please! They managed 17 years so far where it all made sense. Don't stop now or shatter all that with a worthless web series.

I realize it's not everyone who feels/believe as I do. I understand that. Just sharing my own views...

thekillman
February 24th, 2018, 11:13 PM
To me, a "wild ride" never implied more than meaning this is quite the experience to traverse the event horizon, nothing more. One second your stepping through the wall of water, the next second you're in a totally different setting. And I assume the process of disassembly and re-assembly at the other end must create a strange, wild feeling.

Keep in mind that the Gate is not accounting for stellar drift, hence the frost and the shaky transit. it's entirely possible that this leads to strange experiences upon re-materialization.

I think the "were those stars" line was more a nod that it's a "star" gate.

jerem
February 24th, 2018, 11:21 PM
Keep in mind that the Gate is not accounting for stellar drift, hence the frost and the shaky transit. it's entirely possible that this leads to strange experiences upon re-materialization.

Yes, episode "Red Sky" supports this. Their wormhole was affected while passing through the star to the point they exited the gate quite violently, reminiscent of what used to happen before they corrected for stellar drift. They have no recollection of what happened during transit, they never saw themselves going through a star. They are oblivious until much later when Carter reasons that it's what must have happened during transit, passing through the star. All they know at first is that they existed the gate quite violently upon arrival.

I think the "were those stars" line was more a nod that it's a "star" gate.

I'm sorry, I don't follow.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 25th, 2018, 12:08 AM

But if you're right, why would what they "see" change between season 8 and 9?

Darren
February 25th, 2018, 01:20 PM
However much I would like to believe the transit can be seen, it just doesn't add up scientifically to start with. And contradicts every-time we see the characters acting like nothing happened in between, like sometime finishing one's sentence they started before entering. Nothing conscious can happen while you are in transit and only exist as pure energy. Contradict that, and to me it's like shattering my belief system. Scientific accuracy is a pillar of why Stargate is my favorite franchise. They were adamant to make everything as believable as possible, current to our current scientific knowledge. That's what made SGU so attractive to me in it's second season, when they revealed Destiny's mission. That was the epiphany moment to me that connected everything together, and everything was now making sense. So in-tune scientifically.

As SG-1 explored the physics of gate travel over the years I got the impression that one steps through the event horizon and back out the receiving gate more or less instantaneously -- though I'm not sure that was ever established. Transit time is measured in microseconds (or nanoseconds). Any canonical ref to this?

That said, characters have often talked about the astonishing experience of what gate travel feels like.

And there's definitely some creative license going on here, all the way back to the film. Think about Daniel's first trip: He pushed his face into the event horizon, and then opened his eyes. Even if you grant the idea that the wormhole could have pulled in the rest of his body, there's still an issue. Technically speaking the front half of his head (and brain) would have been demolecularized, while the rest was standing on the ramp in front of the gate. By what brain function did he open his eyes? For that matter, what "eyes" did he have to open?

The way that the puddle pass is shot is just creative license. It doesn't really work with wormhole physics as the show has come to establish them.

DigiFluid
February 25th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Transit time is measured in microseconds (or nanoseconds). Any canonical ref to this?

I'm sure I remember Carter (because, who else?) rhyming off to someone the length of time travel takes, but damned if I can remember which episode. Red Sky, maybe?

edit; Oh, here we go! From your own site's Omnipedia (https://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Wormhole), Darren ;)

Ripple Effect - Carter explains that typical wormhole travel is not instantaneous. On average it takes approximately zero point three seconds.

jerem
February 26th, 2018, 05:47 AM
That said, characters have often talked about the astonishing experience of what gate travel feels like.

And there's definitely some creative license going on here, all the way back to the film. Think about Daniel's first trip: He pushed his face into the event horizon, and then opened his eyes. Even if you grant the idea that the wormhole could have pulled in the rest of his body, there's still an issue. Technically speaking the front half of his head (and brain) would have been demolecularized, while the rest was standing on the ramp in front of the gate. By what brain function did he open his eyes? For that matter, what "eyes" did he have to open?

The way that the puddle pass is shot is just creative license. It doesn't really work with wormhole physics as the show has come to establish them.

Never had much problems with that part. The "stepping through the event horizon" always held a bit of mystery due to the fact that somehow, the demolecularization of the entire body would have to happen all at once. Think about what would happen if half your brain suddenly stopped to exist while you're halfway through the event horizon? Hard to explain how it's achieved in words, but can easily be represented visually by showing the "inside" of the gate, what it does virtually internally. Suppose your synapses at the back of your head commanded your eyes to open? Virtually what's shown is accurate, even if in practice it must be a hell of a lot more complex than that.

EDIT:
Beside, "48 hours" has shown us that the process by which the gate handles dematerializaton/reconstitution is completely separate to the wormhole part. They were able to get an event horizon without a wormhole to save Teal'c. I'm pointing this out to emphasize that the puddle and demolcularization is all a technological gate function, outside of physics law pertaining to wormholes that only transmits the energy.

jerem
February 26th, 2018, 06:07 AM
I'm sure I remember Carter (because, who else?) rhyming off to someone the length of time travel takes, but damned if I can remember which episode. Red Sky, maybe?

edit; Oh, here we go! From your own site's Omnipedia (https://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Wormhole), Darren ;)

Yeah, when the Ripple Effect episode originally aired I thought it was contradicting "Red Sky" where the transit seemed much longer in Carter's simulations when she was trying to cut the wormhole while the raw element was in transit.
But you could always argue that the simulation was about full enter/exit time, and not just travel time, and the gate processes were taken into account. Thus it would mean that it takes seconds to dematerialize/materialize.

Darren
February 26th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Oh, here we go! From your own site's Omnipedia (https://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Wormhole), Darren ;)

That's the one! Thanks for the ref. 0.3 seconds.

Yeah, when the Ripple Effect episode originally aired I thought it was contradicting "Red Sky" where the transit seemed much longer in Carter's simulations when she was trying to cut the wormhole while the raw element was in transit.

That's a good point. It served the story in "Red Sky" for the S.G.C. to have the ability to cut off the wormhole and "drop" something ahead of the destination. It could work, if the base computer (and wormhole physics) were precise enough ... say, to terminate the wormhole after 0.285 seconds.

Another thought:

We've seen people stick appendages through the event horizon and then pull them back. Now if I get down on my hands and knees and back into an active Stargate, can I consciously still make an effort to keep my fingertips holding onto the ramp? Could I pull myself back out of the event horizon if all that is left materialized are my fingertips?

Based on what I've seen on the shows I kinda want to say "Yes." But that would suggest that the event horizon doesn't back right up against the wormhole, so to speak. The Stargate's buffer protocols sit "between" the event horizon (where dematerialization happens) and actual transmission through the wormhole. This is why gates don't send an object until the entire thing has passed through (and why you can stick your arm in and pull it back out).

But if my brain and muscles are in the buffer while my fingertips are holding onto the ramp, it would suggest some degree of consciousness within the buffer itself ...

Now my head hurts.

jerem
February 26th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Another thought:

We've seen people stick appendages through the event horizon and then pull them back. Now if I get down on my hands and knees and back into an active Stargate, can I consciously still make an effort to keep my fingertips holding onto the ramp? Could I pull myself back out of the event horizon if all that is left materialized are my fingertips?

Based on what I've seen on the shows I kinda want to say "Yes." But that would suggest that the event horizon doesn't back right up against the wormhole, so to speak. The Stargate's buffer protocols sit "between" the event horizon (where dematerialization happens) and actual transmission through the wormhole. This is why gates don't send an object until the entire thing has passed through (and why you can stick your arm in and pull it back out).

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, but English being only my second language, you've put it way better than I ever could :)

But if my brain and muscles are in the buffer while my fingertips are holding onto the ramp, it would suggest some degree of consciousness within the buffer itself ...

Now my head hurts.

I purposely avoided the "consciousness within the buffer" part because my head was hurting too. Thanks (or rather no thanks :P) for bringing it up officially :psycho:

I've brought up two contradicting examples:

[In support of "no" consciousness when passed the event horizon]
From SGA's "Thirty-Eight Minutes". Lt. Ford is clearly not moving and unconscious while inside the puddle. His reaction after being pulled out by McKay and Teyla shows this.

[In support "of" consciousness when passed the event horizon]
From SG-1's "Gemini", while Teal'c is trying to prevent replicarter from leaving, she clearly voluntarily step back out to make that angry face before "severing" the link with her arm.
But worse even... Where does she gain her leverage from within the puddle to pull against Teal'c? :D

Yep, we've dug too deep to find consistencies at this level of details ;)

However, to get back to the original question of whether you should see stars or not during transit, I still think this is complete BS what they did in SGO.

knowles2
February 27th, 2018, 06:03 AM

Or Mitchell did what had to be done, he killed any of the witnesses who saw the gate activate. The rest just wrote the whole event of as a earthquake.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 27th, 2018, 10:55 AM
This puddle talk is certainly making my head hurt... It's almost as if it's just a TV show and we shouldn't put too much thought into it..... (preposterous suggestion I know :P)

I wonder if there's a size limit to what can pass through the puddle before demolecularisation. For example if a very long organism went through the gate (the best example I can think of is the basilisk in harry potter...), would it hit a "wall" without fully being in the gate?

jerem
February 27th, 2018, 03:32 PM
This puddle talk is certainly making my head hurt... It's almost as if it's just a TV show and we shouldn't put too much thought into it..... (preposterous suggestion I know :P)

I wonder if there's a size limit to what can pass through the puddle before demolecularisation. For example if a very long organism went through the gate (the best example I can think of is the basilisk in harry potter...), would it hit a "wall" without fully being in the gate?
Very preposterous indeed :D

I think the best way to think of it, is the same way it's being shot on camera ;) This way you ensure no inconsistencies :P

So there's no limit, everything that happens once you crossed the threshold of that big anulus still exists and behaves the same (even when erased visually in post production). So even if you grab and hold on to something behind the gate and we can't see you, doesn't mean you can't do it!
I guess if you put the gate against the wall, then there's a limit. The gate's location and surroundings matters somehow. Strange eh?

And then "poof", you are turned into energy all at once (a process which apparently takes a few seconds) and thrown through a wormhole for 0.3 seconds on average.

Thanks for the good laugh :)

Osiristi
March 1st, 2018, 01:56 PM
Again, I'm tingling with anticipation. And that's because I want to see if these next two episodes are where they start to explain all the continuity errors they have promised to explain, or if they leave it to the last episode to wrap it all up as a dream or something similar.

lightsyder
March 1st, 2018, 06:05 PM
The latest mission files explain quite a bit

jerem
March 1st, 2018, 08:15 PM

I wasn't either... But according to the mission files for Episode 6 & 7, that's exactly what it is... Damn!

Didn't get it quite right in my original speculation however, but what's seems to be shaping is fully resolving the Aset/Isis identity as well as the continuity with the canopic jars found in 1931, 7 years prior to the events in SGO.

The banishment for eternity in canopic jars isn't "yet-to happen" as a consequence to creating a harsesis child. It HAS happened in the past, when Isis and her brothers Osiris and Seth were planning on overthrowing Ra. Since the banishment happened in the past and current Aset IS the clone, continuity seems ensured. The overthrow attempt just had to happen a long long time ago (aka before the gate in Egypt was buried).

Personally I see only 2 remaining inconsistencies that seem "unsolvable" at the moment:

* Dr. Langford and Catherine's memories of what transpired in SGO.
* Being able to "see" stars while traveling through a wormhole.

I fully expect the first to be resolved, seeing it's so obvious. The second one is a pure blunder. It can't be fixed or explained/rationalized.

Elite Anubis Guard
March 2nd, 2018, 12:05 AM
The episode 6 mission files mention retinal implants. I wonder if that's the reason for their yellow eyes.

Supergater
March 2nd, 2018, 01:34 AM
The latest mission files explain quite a bit

Can anyone provide a brief summary/important points of the mission file for episode 6 & 7 for those unfortunate people who can never get All Access, like me in Asia? I can forgo episode 4 & 5 (seems less important) but forum post here implied 6 & 7 mission file explained a great deal.

Major Grin
March 2nd, 2018, 02:13 PM
why aren't these goauld and their jaffa servant not wearing any masks , and allowing humans to see them this way.

wasn't this a big deal in the first movie. when O'niell removed one of the masks of Ra's soldiers all the people were astonished , it proved to them that they are false gods because they are just humans like them and the animal head is fake

Major Grin
March 2nd, 2018, 02:23 PM
as for objects entering the event horizon and still 'existing' even though we no longer see them from outside the gate I think there are 2 possible explanation.
one is that they enter a sort of intermediate dimension , outside of normal 3 dimensional space , but not yet entering the wormhole itself. this way it can have an endless 'room' in that dimension before the object is dematerialized and sent through the wormhole.
when we saw Daniel's face inside the gate it was before he was dematerialized , he was inside that other dimension.
another possibility is that this other dimensional is all virtual. that everything that enters the event horizon is immediately dematerilized but a digital version of the object is created in a sort of virtual simulation of the same object . this might explain how they are able to stay conscious or even 'see' things while in transit through the wormhole despite being dematerilized , maybe they experience everything through a virtual simulation of themselves which continues to function normally until their real body is reconstructed on the other side and their memory of the virtual simulation is inserted into their physical brain before they exist the gate on the other side.
this would also allow for a limitless 'room' beyond the event horizon since it's all virtual space , and this explains how they can retain physical function of their hands for example despite being supposedly atomized in transit.
I imagine the same thing happens in the transporter beams in star trek. in one episode we saw the beaming from Barclay's perspective , and from his point of view he never lost consiousness and was even able to 'move around' while inside the beam , even though he had no real body during the time , and to outside observers he probably remained still while in transport. but a virtual version of the person beaming exists while the body is transporting , which allows for a continuous consciousness to exist all throughout the process

Supergater
March 3rd, 2018, 01:27 AM
why aren't these goauld and their jaffa servant not wearing any masks , and allowing humans to see them this way.

wasn't this a big deal in the first movie. when O'niell removed one of the masks of Ra's soldiers all the people were astonished , it proved to them that they are false gods because they are just humans like them and the animal head is fake

I'm guessing it has to do with the pious nature of the Abydonian society. In SGO, I don't see a single Jaffa in sight, only Goa'uld and human guard. Mission Files stated Aset rules with "fake kindness" over Abydos, which will result in loyalty by choice not oppression. They see her as a goddess and her guards are just humans.

When Dr Jackson arrived, he started tell the kids the truth - what was considered heresy to their society. But the situation has changed. Ra rules by oppression, much different from Aset. They would think it as holy wrath and the Horus guards as something akin to taskmaster-like angels of Ra (i.e. don't mess with the being from the godly realm). But human nature deep down still know right from wrong (Ra's rule of oppression being wrong). They would readily abandon Ra if there was another "true-er", benevolent "god". So when Dr Jackson open up the Horus guard's helmet revealing they are just humans, Abydonians then believe there may be a spark of truth to Jackson's word.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
March 3rd, 2018, 03:40 AM
Just got around to watching it, and yes the mission files do explain a lot about Isis/Aset.

To summarise: The Isis in a jar in "The Curse" is a clone of the Aset we see here (or maybe Aset is the clone). Isis changed her name is Aset and went underground, recently presenting herself to Ra who has kept her existence secret to hide cloning tech from the other system lords

Couple of things I noticed. Yassif(?) appears to have some memory loss after being healed with the wand of horus. Maybe this is the hint of the explanation as to why they won't remember this?

Catherine calls the stargate the "gate" - at this point she will have known it as the "doorway to heaven". I did go back to episode 2, and Nazi man (who probably translated it correctly) does call it the gate in front of her

Can anyone provide a brief summary/important points of the mission file for episode 6 & 7 for those unfortunate people who can never get All Access, like me in Asia? I can forgo episode 4 & 5 (seems less important) but forum post here implied 6 & 7 mission file explained a great deal.

You don't actually need an all access pass for the mission files

https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds/stargate-origins-mission-files-episode-6?req_type=html&k=ec94488a377bc073e899261178a5350f8e2e87a83eb528deb55c1ccb055def7b

https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds/stargate-origins-mission-files-episode-7?req_type=html&k=ec94488a377bc073e899261178a5350f8e2e87a83eb528deb55c1ccb055def7b

mooseman
March 3rd, 2018, 04:28 AM
The mission files are All Access. My buddy couldn't get to them.

I agree about the magic stick causing memory loss. I think Catherine will get hurt so badly, she'll lose her memory of the Origins events entirely. And that's why her Father prevents her from being part of the program in the US, he's protecting her.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
March 3rd, 2018, 04:35 AM
The mission files are All Access. My buddy couldn't get to them.

I agree about the magic stick causing memory loss. I think Catherine will get hurt so badly, she'll lose her memory of the Origins events entirely. And that's why her Father prevents her from being part of the program in the US, he's protecting her.

Are you sure? I managed to access them in incognito so I wasn't logged in

Supergater
March 3rd, 2018, 04:56 AM
Are you sure? I managed to access them in incognito so I wasn't logged in

Nope. I just tried it, incognito and not. It is locked behind paywall All Access. Only Mission files for Episode 1-3 is open because MGM released the 3 episodes for free. At least you guys in US & Europe(maybe?) can pay for it. We have many avid operatives in Asia but there appears to be a lot bio-electric interference here, All Access pass cannot be beam down from SGC.co(i.e. we can't have it even if we want it). We'll just have to wait for the intergalactic databurst from the ZPM powered SGC.co. Hope the IOA approves it soon! :D :D

Supergater
March 3rd, 2018, 05:27 AM
Just got around to watching it, and yes the mission files do explain a lot about Isis/Aset.

To summarise: The Isis in a jar in "The Curse" is a clone of the Aset we see here (or maybe Aset is the clone). Isis changed her name is Aset and went underground, recently presenting herself to Ra who has kept her existence secret to hide cloning tech from the other system lords

Which way is it? Ra cloned her or Isis cloned herself? My security clearance is low coz it appears SGC.co still at "Disclosure" level and not IOA level yet. Lol.

A favor for those similar to me, from what I gather from the forum posts: (brackets are uncertain)

Isis, Osiris and Seth tried to overthrow Ra (at least during Ra's rule on Earth or earlier). They were unsuccessful with Isis and Osiris placed in the canopic jars seen in "The Curse". Seth escaped and hid himself on Earth until being killed in "Seth". Later on Isis was cloned and changed name to Aset. She went underground, being subservient to Ra to kept her existence secret. Ra keeps secret to hide cloning tech from the System Lords. (The cloning tech is way more primitive tech than Asgard as Aset was given retina implants - permanent yellow eyes).

Moderators: I hope this doesn't violate forum rules.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
March 3rd, 2018, 05:38 AM
Aset developed the tech.

Here is the relevant part of the mission file:

If Catherine heard correctly, these natives seemed to believe that her pendant made her a friend of their god, Ra. As strange as that may seem, Catherine wasn’t about to correct them and it seemed like their presence had triggered a real celebration. Kasuf, as excited as ever, began to translate the villagers’ delightfully humble theatrical presentation that depicted the life of their other god, Aset.

What neither Catherine nor the villagers realized, however, was that their version of events was based on a lie that had been fed to them by way of Ra himself. It was true, though, that just like in the villagers’ play, Aset had once fallen from Ra’s favor. Many years ago, she was tricked into making an attempt on Ra’s life, but what the Supreme System Lord had not told his subjects is what happened next.

Aset, being as cunning as she was, had sensed that this plan to overthrow Ra was doomed to fail. As she and her brothers, Setesh and Osiris, planned their coup, Aset decided it was the time to execute the project she had been researching in secret for so many years. If successful, her genetic replication process could create an almost identical copy of herself, allowing her to live on in the event that Ra repelled the attempt on his life.

Aset’s plans for contingency proved well placed, for her brother Setesh had betrayed them, leaving Aset and Osiris open to the full wrath of the Supreme System Lord. They were stripped of their hosts and banished to an eternal imprisonment, but through her duplicate, Aset was able to live on. In fact, it was at this point she renounced her original name of Isis and became the Aset that the Abydonian people would grow to know and revere.

Aset surmised that as outraged as Ra would be, he could still be bargained with. Even with this overthrow attempt put down at the last minute, Ra faced a number of threats to his dominion from both fellow Goa’uld and other races in the galaxy alike. The Supreme System Lord was in need of allies, and if there was one thing Aset could exploit, it was necessity.

Aset made herself known to Ra, stating that her presence before him was proof she could help him tighten his grip on the galaxy. Just as she had predicted, Ra’s anger was quickly abated when he was faced with the potential of possessing game-changing technology. Ra agreed to let the Isis clone live on two conditions. Firstly, she must rebuild the means with which to replicate Goa’uld genetics since her lab on Kheb had been completely destroyed. Secondly, her replication must be kept a secret. With Ra’s ego possessing all the trappings of most Goa’uld leaders, he couldn’t possibly allow this story to emerge in its entirety. No, Ra must be portrayed as a powerful and forgiving god. It must be told that Ra forgave Aset of her sins and brought her back from the dead. And that was the very tale that was being told in Nosdevli right now, as the villagers hosted the ones they believed to be ‘Emissaries of Ra’.

Supergater
March 3rd, 2018, 07:06 AM
Aset developed the tech.

Here is the relevant part of the mission file:

Thanks there. This is gold. I also can't believe they included Kheb into the story. Guessing it was incomplete Ancient cloning tech since Kheb was an Ancient ascension meditate school of sort. Must have forgotten to clean up before everyone meditated themselves into a higher plane of existence.

jerem
March 8th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Now that the obviously upcoming mind wipe has happened, I guess it's time to revisit the list of inconsistencies and list what remains ;-)

Personally, the only thing bothering me that's left is the obvious "science of the stargate" blunder, about being able to "see" the stars while being made only of energy during transit through a wormhole.

Supergater
March 9th, 2018, 03:30 AM
Now that the shows ended, it seems all inconsistencies are cleared out. The book gets left behind, everyone gets mind wiped or killed, Langfords don't know what a Stargate is... It seems the only thing to come out of this series that affects the movie and SG-1 is the subliminal instructions in Catherine's head, Kasuf will strive to lead Abydos and destruction of the 7th symbol. It seems like maybe there was an order by the studio that allows the writers to script out an "interesting" story (i.e. do anything) but they are not allowed to do big retcons on the origins of Stargate series (Catherine knew what the Stargate is all along, for example). That seems to have shackled the amount of potential stories that could have played out or open windows for new "secret origins" in maybe season 2? In summary, it seems they play it safe by going big but, conveniently, wipe out all progress the story made (i.e tell a self-contained story that was shackled by its on mythology due to time period settings). Reminds me of "200": "Isn't it a little to convenient (that they beam out at the last moment)" and "Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment"

csevans
March 9th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Can't we just say this is based on the Movie? It would solve all issues. I mean they used the Movie Gate and not the one from the Series.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
March 9th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Updated the first post.

For anyone wondering, Aset used a modified Kara'kesh that she invented to wipe their minds (from the mission files)

I also added a bit about Catherine being her father's assistant on the Gate, despite her not working on it/not being allowed to work on it in 1945

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
March 9th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Another continuity thing to talk about is that the mission files hint that Ra was dealing with the Asgard at this point. Was there a Goa'uld-Asgard war at this time? Do we know anything about this outside SGO? Is it compatible with what we know about the Asgard-Replicator war?

jerem
March 9th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Another continuity thing to talk about is that the mission files hint that Ra was dealing with the Asgard at this point. Was there a Goa'uld-Asgard war at this time? Do we know anything about this outside SGO? Is it compatible with what we know about the Asgard-Replicator war?

I had NEVER heard of this "war" before, but again it's far from being incompatible.

Cimmeria, the "Protected planets treaty", jaffa legends describing Asgard motherships... Obviously the Asgard and Goa'uld had many interactions in the past. It's even conceivable that their treaty was the end result of a previous war.

Perhaps the Replicator-Asgard war is much more recent than we imagined. And if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense... This is not the kind of war you can fight/sustain very long seeing how rapidly this kind of threat can spread, like a contagion.

jerem
March 9th, 2018, 03:34 PM
@Jedi_Master_Bra'tac

I do not really agree with what you said in #7, especially this part:

I guess they could have been referring to the point while their face is in the "water", just before demolecularisation. I don't believe that we ever saw the what they see in this period or heard it described

The wormhole sequence was always shown to start completely black, then you'd eventually see this effect:
Then eventually the tunnel:

But my point is "it's black" before you are being transported. There is nothing to see. Since there is nothing to see, it was never described either ;).

To me, this is still the "one" unsolvable inconsistency.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
March 10th, 2018, 12:30 AM
Yeah looks they did indeed make an error here, but not a huge one. As good as SG1 was with continuity, even it got stuff wrong from time to time. Can Teal'c sense Goa'uld or not? Was Jacob host to Selmack for 4 years or 6 years? Which Galaxy are the Asgard in again?

I've realised SGO does actually fill a hole in the continuity, we never saw in the series how the Goa'uld brainwash people - maybe they are using the same kind of Kara'kesh Aset had.

knowles2
March 10th, 2018, 02:27 AM
I'm guessing it has to do with the pious nature of the Abydonian society. In SGO, I don't see a single Jaffa in sight, only Goa'uld and human guard. Mission Files stated Aset rules with "fake kindness" over Abydos, which will result in loyalty by choice not oppression. They see her as a goddess and her guards are just humans.

Yet in the film we see her shred a tear which didn't seem fake to me. May be Aset was weak from the cloning and that tear came from the host.

knowles2
March 10th, 2018, 02:34 AM
Which way is it? Ra cloned her or Isis cloned herself? My security clearance is low coz it appears SGC.co still at "Disclosure" level and not IOA level yet. Lol.

A favor for those similar to me, from what I gather from the forum posts: (brackets are uncertain)

Isis, Osiris and Seth tried to overthrow Ra (at least during Ra's rule on Earth or earlier). They were unsuccessful with Isis and Osiris placed in the canopic jars seen in "The Curse". Seth escaped and hid himself on Earth until being killed in "Seth". Later on Isis was cloned and changed name to Aset. She went underground, being subservient to Ra to kept her existence secret. Ra keeps secret to hide cloning tech from the System Lords. (The cloning tech is way more primitive tech than Asgard as Aset was given retina implants - permanent yellow eyes).

Moderators: I hope this doesn't violate forum rules.

Seth is actually the biggest mystery in the whole of the stargate universe. He had 5,000 years living on earth with access to a tonne of Go'uld technology. An yet he was only ever able to gain a few hundred followers, pathetic. He could have rule this planet, with a bit of effort.

Gatefan1976
March 10th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Seth is actually the biggest mystery in the whole of the stargate universe. He had 5,000 years living on earth with access to a tonne of Go'uld technology. An yet he was only ever able to gain a few hundred followers, pathetic. He could have rule this planet, with a bit of effort.

Don't remind me how crap they made Seth :(

Major Grin
March 11th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Yeah looks they did indeed make an error here, but not a huge one. As good as SG1 was with continuity, even it got stuff wrong from time to time. Can Teal'c sense Goa'uld or not? Was Jacob host to Selmack for 4 years or 6 years? Which Galaxy are the Asgard in again?

I've realised SGO does actually fill a hole in the continuity, we never saw in the series how the Goa'uld brainwash people - maybe they are using the same kind of Kara'kesh Aset had.

He can only sense those Goauld who have Naquadah in their blood (not all of them do)

years are different on different planet, so maybe that's what caused the confusion with the number of years.

the Asgard may have colonies in more than one galaxy (some of them were even in the Pegasus galaxy)

jerem
March 12th, 2018, 02:09 PM

I think it was inferred to be mostly chemical, sometimes combined with torture.

In any case, we can always assume there are many ways to brainwash someone ;)

Don't remind me how crap they made Seth :(

Are you referring to how "pathetic" he looked? Remember he was trying to keep a low profile. Since other Goa'uld visited Earth from time to time he could have been found out if he was supreme ruler of the entire planet.

He can only sense those Goauld who have Naquadah in their blood (not all of them do)

years are different on different planet, so maybe that's what caused the confusion with the number of years.

the Asgard may have colonies in more than one galaxy (some of them were even in the Pegasus galaxy)

I agree with all of this. SG-1 did create inconsistencies over the years, but most of them also got explained somehow later on.

Hoshi_Reed
March 12th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Yet in the film we see her shred a tear which didn't seem fake to me. May be Aset was weak from the cloning and that tear came from the host.

To create a Harsisis the Symbiote has to let the Host take control for nine months. That means observing only, no controlling anything. I think the experience leaves a mark, making the Symbiote more "compassionate", and the host now has more control/influence than other hosts as well (Same happened with Ammunet and Shauri)

I think he didn't want to be subjected to the hate that Ra ended up with. He lived down low with a few followers and didn't try to amass an army because he feared being over thrown. Given his fear I don't think he PUT a big effort into it. I mean the first few generations would have stories passed down on how evil Ra was and to fight back was now in their blood. Then the Israelite's were hunting down those who claimed to be gods, Dark Ages had a huge fear of witchcraft and ungodly powers.
Plus he never knew when Ra would come back and I'm sure Seth feared his wrath if he was visible and easy to find.

thekillman
March 14th, 2018, 12:04 AM
I think he didn't want to be subjected to the hate that Ra ended up with. He lived down low with a few followers and didn't try to amass an army because he feared being over thrown.

Yea i got the impression he was just happy to have a few followers and not bother with ruling an empire. Especially since it could indeed attract either uprisings or Ra's wrath.

The goa'uld can rule the galaxy because of enslaved jaffa, so if Seth lacked those (and he did), he also may have realized that it would be hard to subjugate a world like that. Considering Earth has no naquahdah and the gate was buried, it would also be hard for him to rule with superior technology.

All in all, i think Seth just didn't think it was worth the trouble and was perfectly happy with his personal cult and easy lifestyle.

hedwig
March 14th, 2018, 12:45 PM

Jacob was host to Selmak from Season 2 to Season 8 - 6 years. I'm thinking he made a reference to "4 years ago" when he and the team were all prisoners in Jolinar's Memories and The Devil You Know (seasons 3 and 4), and he didn't think he was going to make it out alive.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
March 16th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Jacob was host to Selmak from Season 2 to Season 8 - 6 years. I'm thinking he made a reference to "4 years ago" when he and the team were all prisoners in Jolinar's Memories and The Devil You Know (seasons 3 and 4), and he didn't think he was going to make it out alive.

I was referring to Threads where Carter says he was only host for 4 years

Platschu
March 16th, 2018, 11:27 PM
The yellow eyes could have explained if the hosts were "Enkarans" (SG-1 season 4 Scorched Earth)...

EvaWallE7744
August 8th, 2018, 11:37 AM
i agree that would have been a really good tie in.

Platschu
August 25th, 2018, 12:18 PM
I knew that Selkhet / Serqet's name was familiar. She was the Goa'uld sent by Ba'al to negotiate with Lord Yu when RepliCarter attacked.
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Selkhet
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Serqet
Maybe she changed host. Anyway her fate is sealed then officially. :)

Mythological background :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serket
https://www.ancient.eu/Serket/
http://www.landofpyramids.org/selket.htm

Platschu
April 6th, 2020, 03:34 PM
Just a random question. If the Stargate was located in Aset's temple / palace, then how could they move it into the pyramid later? Because I am guessing the pyramid was standing there already, but would the Stargate fit through the narrow corridors?

Second question is rather a mini fanfiction idea. What if Bael was revived by Ra and he was made to be a Goa'uld host? It could have been weird if he meets with SG-1 a few decades later. And if this step could have happened then Ra would know enough about Earth and its defenses.

tlw
July 2nd, 2020, 07:19 PM
5. Catherine's age - dialogue in TOT implies that Catherine was 21 in 1945, which would make her 15 in SGO

Quote Originally Posted by TTOT
CATHERINE
The military had very little use for a 21-year-old girl at that time. Neither did my father. I only know what little I overheard him and Ernest talking about.

However this would also make her 4 years old in the Giza dig scene, which she isn't. So she was probably approximating her age or referring to her age when the research started

I think this is correct about her referring to her age when the research started. Because she mentioned Pres. Roosevelt who I believe had already died by 1945, hadn't he?

Xaeden
July 7th, 2020, 07:46 AM
=However this would also make her 4 years old in the Giza dig scene, which she isn't. So she was probably approximating her age or referring to her age when the research started=

I see no reason to think that she wasn't 4 years old when the Stargate was unearthed at Giza... in the TV continuity. Sure, you can rationalize it to make both the movie and TV continuities fit together, but they changed a bunch of little things when they adapted the movie and this was one of them. You wouldn't say, "They referred to Jack's son as Charlie in the TV show, but that's wrong because his name is Tyler," and then go on to speculate that maybe his name is "Charlie Tyler O'neil(l)." At least I hope nobody would do that instead of just accepting that it's a difference between continuities.

Consequently, how old Catherine should be in Origins depends on which continuity they were following.

I think this is correct about her referring to her age when the research started. Because she mentioned Pres. Roosevelt who I believe had already died by 1945, hadn't he?

You are indeed correct that she said 21 during the 1945 experiments. As for Roosevelt, he died in April 1945, two months after attending the Yalta Conference.