PDA

View Full Version : First Three Episodes Reaction Thread (SPOILERS)

Major_Griff
February 14th, 2018, 06:50 PM
I have to say I didn't really like it. It looked like it was very low budget, and the dialogue was really bad in my opinion. I feel like there was a sense or feeling of fun to it that was something to like, that probably can overcome all of that.

But what really bothers me is the complete lack of faithfulness to established continuity. Opening the Stargate and knowing the seventh symbol in the 30s completely destroys what's been established in both the movie and show.

Another issue I have is that it seems like it's trying to be a nostalgia kind of thing. But I don't know that many Stargate fans at this point have nostalgia for the movie, and parts of this play as this loving tribute to the original movie. I love the movie, but like most Stargate fans, it's the shows that made me a fan. So all that is kind of weird.

I don't know. Like I said, there's a fun feeling to it that I think I could come to enjoy, but there's a lot bothering me too. I've be interested in hearing more opinions and thoughts on this.

GateWorld
February 14th, 2018, 07:34 PM
Thanks for creating a new thread for some general reactions!

This is just a friendly reminder that, for those who want to discuss the specifics of each episode, we do have official spoilery discussion threads for each episode here:

https://forum.gateworld.net/forums/403-Origins-Episodes

MrWhirly
February 14th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Yeah, it felt too much like fanfic to me. The story, even if you can ignore the canon changes, is pretty meh so far. It's decent enough to keep watching though.

I just wish some other company would buy Stargate from MGM. They keep saying how important the franchise is to them but they never seem to want to commit real resources.

Oh well, back to my SGU rewatch.

GATEGOD
February 14th, 2018, 09:36 PM
I for one really enjoyed the first 3 episodes.

trek604
February 14th, 2018, 11:03 PM
Not a good sign that I find Catherine extremely irritating in this series...

tomaso88
February 15th, 2018, 12:23 AM
I really did not enjoy this at all. Canon ruined even though they said it would be canon? The story was beyond average. Honestly I would have preferred a comedy skit with david hewlett as rodney with Richard dean anderson or something.

Even stargate infinity was more enjoyable to watch than this.

The actors weren't that bad though the writing could have definitely been better. This whole thing just seems so insulting to why we fell in love with stargate. Regardless I paid for the subscription in hopes this could lead to more stargate but please no more of this.

StargateloverSam
February 15th, 2018, 02:36 AM
I enjoyed the first three episodes. I liked the old Woosh, the old journey through the gate, I liked that they started with the first movie and I liked that they were frozen after stepping through the Gate.

It was again totally different than the other series but if you think of SGU, it was also totally different and I didn't like it at the beginning.

I'm going to watch the rest of the season and I hope that this will be the beginning of a new era of Stargate :)

actuallyliam
February 15th, 2018, 02:38 AM
Things I liked: Catherine, I thought she was a good character, rebellious and I can certainly see her becoming the character we know from SG-1. The Goauld, she was great, I loved her design. Her friends were great for the limited screen time we've seen them so far. The last scene, when she puts her head through the puddle and that beautiful new travel effect.

Things I didn't like: The CGI was very bad, the new puddle effect and even gate look unfinished. The script was okay, but I think with the lack of budget and story time was lacking somewhat.

I will certainly be checking out the season. But I think this isn't really going to guage the interest in further stargate very well. Star Trek Discovery looks beautiful, compared to the 90s series. Stargate Origins looks terrible, compared to 90s SG-1.

StargateloverSam
February 15th, 2018, 02:39 AM
I think Origins is far more better than Infinity...

Infinity has nothing to do with Stargate, with the canon, but Origins tries to be. I, personally, don't get bothered by the Canon, I just enjoy it. Who knows? Maybe at the end of the seasons Catherine rememberes nothing :)

rockerlad
February 15th, 2018, 03:44 AM
I enjoyed it. Yes it's not the Stargate we all fell in love with, it's loss budget and I think they have done a decent job with what they have.

mooseman
February 15th, 2018, 04:27 AM
If this was a dedicated fanfilm I'd be saying "what an incredible job they've done! Everyone needs to see this!", but it isn't. It's an official studio supported production. I think they should have did away with the SGC site/app and put that $$ into Origins and released it as a movie on Netflix or Hulu.

knowles2
February 15th, 2018, 04:53 AM
I still suspect we will see our buddy thor show up, who will use a bit of memory manipulation to make Catherine, an others forget most of these events. Humans will defeat the Go'uld before his intervention, which give him hope that touri in the future can free the galaxy from the Go'uld if allowed to evolve and develop their technology for longer.

The primary problem is that the gate, which is suppose to be star of the show is a poor imitation of past stargate. MGM really should have built a real version of this prop for this show instead of going for a rather poor CGI version.

SamJackShipper93
February 15th, 2018, 06:12 AM
Regardless of how you feel about Origins, the one thing we have to stop doing is saying things, "I would have rather had SGU come back..." or "Why didn't they just do a final movie for one of the existing series?" or "They should have gotten [particular actor] to come back..."

The sentiment "Why don't they just finish Atlantis?" is part of the reason why SGU went under, because fans felt cheated and many refused to view SGU for what it was, an engaging though different Stargate series, because they could not get beyond their anger about SGA.

Yes, the glory days are wonderful, but if you remember back, one of the big reasons why the SG-1 and SGA movies were scrapped (in addition to the fall-out of the DVD market) is that MGM filed for bankruptcy. We can't just assume that MGM has the power/money/desire to fund a high-budget film or series the way that we enjoyed in the past.

We have to be in the here and now ... and the here and now is Origins. That doesn't mean we have to like it, but we have to interact with this mini-series without bringing our preferences and prejudices for the past with us.

That being said, I agree that the low-budget aspects stand out. It's unfortunate that in spite of technological advancements, the Stargate and wormhole itself looks a bit crude. The fact that they don't have money for big sets is apparent because most of the camera work focuses on the reactions of the characters instead of showcasing what a particular environment looks like (I'm thinking especially of the first moments on the new planet ... Abydos?). This is the thing that for me makes it feel most like a fan-made film.

However, I'm very excited to see where the story is going. Conner Trineer is especially engaging as Dr. Langford, and the new characters are interesting. Right off the back, I'm particularly loving the character of Wassif! I'm glad to see that it's still a lighthearted script - I was wondering if they were going to go for the straight drama of SGU or the pervasive humor of SG-1/SGA, and I'm pleased that they aren't taking themselves too seriously. Many people are comparing the show to Indiana Jones (though literally any show about archaeology in the 1920s/30s would be compared to Indiana Jones), but I sensed more of a return to classic SG-1 in the tone of the script: a bit hokey, a bit stilted, but desirous of quickly establishing relatable characters for the story.

I'm also enjoying the spreading of the Stargate mythology to the Nazis. We know that the Nazis discovered the DHD, so the premise of a Nazi scientist searching for alien artifacts was, I think, a good choice for an antagonist given the location and time period. Brücke is a sleezebag and one of the poignant moments that really sticks out in my mind is him harassing Catherine after swearing he wouldn't hurt her. That sequence was played well by both Ellie and Aylam in a way that immediately drives our dislike of Brücke way up and shows Catherine's continued resourcefulness. Though very different contexts, Catherine biting Brücke reminded me of Sam biting Jack in "Within the Serpent's Grasp." Now my head-canon is that Catherine taught Sam to bite in unknown circumstances!

So, first SGO impressions? It's not great; it's not terrible; it's just a different series. For all its good and bad, at the end of the third episode, when Catherine steps through the gate, the internal gate ride is what finally made me go, "Yes! Stargate is back!"

MrWhirly
February 15th, 2018, 06:39 AM
Just accepting and continuing to support the current status of Stargate is actually what we shouldn't be doing. Nothing will change if TPTB know they can put out any old drek and people will buy it. Vote with your wallet.

If MGM feels they can no longer squeeze any more money out of us, hopefully that leads to a sale to a company with actual vision and finances to see it through.

thekillman
February 15th, 2018, 08:56 AM
From what i've seen:

-there's a strange love for certain canon things (the subtle snow effect, the cold, the details of manual dialing and the fact that once opened, the other side can power it as well). I think we've also seen that Ra necklace before

-There's a strange aversion to other Stargate things. the stargate has pretty much always looked like it was made of stone. The Stargate banner at the top of GW shows a blackish-grey stone-texture gate with clear red symbols. This is the stargate. let me rephrase. This is The Stargate. We now know why they chose that look, because the metal one looks fake as hell. Apparently it's a real prop, but it couldn't look faker if they hired a 13-year-old to do a blender render.

-I'm still amazed at the fact that people talk actual german in the show.

-I'm completely confused why the gate activates so slowly yet deactivates so fast. In the series, locking the gate creates the iconic sound followed instantly by the Kawoosh. Shutting off causes the puddle to glow briefly then dissipate. In SGO, it takes up to 10 seconds between the POO and the Kawoosh. Deactivation happens under a second. All i can think is, why?

-Not sure if they used the original footage to make the effect, but the Puddle has never looked more water-y. (the water effect of the stargate was originally made by blasting a jet engine into a pool of water, then removing the water digitally and inserting it into the stargate)

-I quite honestly don't understand why the characters do what they do. I like the Nazi Occultist guy the most (not a good sign), since he has clear motives. Catherine seems to be just...there. Her friends help her because... they're friends, that's it. Catherine is insanely antagonistic to the Nazi's even though she's at gunpoint. It's like she wants to be executed for just not being worth it.

DigiFluid
February 15th, 2018, 08:57 AM
I am undecided. There’s potential for sure, but to call it low-budget would be an understatement—which is forgivable if the story is engaging, but we’re not far enough along for me feel that way about it.

gatechick
February 15th, 2018, 09:30 AM
I have to say I didn't really like it. It looked like it was very low budget, and the dialogue was really bad in my opinion. I feel like there was a sense or feeling of fun to it that was something to like, that probably can overcome all of that.

But what really bothers me is the complete lack of faithfulness to established continuity. Opening the Stargate and knowing the seventh symbol in the 30s completely destroys what's been established in both the movie and show.

Another issue I have is that it seems like it's trying to be a nostalgia kind of thing. But I don't know that many Stargate fans at this point have nostalgia for the movie, and parts of this play as this loving tribute to the original movie. I love the movie, but like most Stargate fans, it's the shows that made me a fan. So all that is kind of weird.

I don't know. Like I said, there's a fun feeling to it that I think I could come to enjoy, but there's a lot bothering me too. I've be interested in hearing more opinions and thoughts on this.

I don't mind the low budget. I can understand not wanting to throw too much money behind something when your really testing the waters. You can tell a good story with a great cast and a low budget with a few dinky effects thrown in. Although I am not really impressed so far with the cast. Or maybe its the way they are used. Something really bothers me about Catherine's character. I need to review a couple episodes of the SG-1 shows she was in to verify my feelings.

But the it is the lack of continuity that really bothers me. As soon the Stargate opened, I was taken out of the story because we all know what happened in the TV show ( and the movie for that matter). The show has an established canon which they could have worked with. So what explanation does that leave them with? Done to death AU just to tell some new adventures?

Kamin
February 15th, 2018, 09:52 AM
I have watched all 3 episodes and rewatched them a second time to reach my conclusion. While most of the acting was fantastic... I will now have to grab a hammer to hit myself in the head repeatedly in the vain hope of removing all previous knowledge of stargate from my brain to reconcile the blatant disregard of previously established canon/lore by devlin/emerich, wright/cooper/glassner.

Lets look at the one major blow that destroys stargate canon. The activation of the gate and the travel of all parties involved, including langford, would eliminate Jacksons character from the franchise. In Origins, catherine now knows 7 symbols are needed to make a connection and she knows what the 7th symbol is as well as what a DHD is. So no need to go find danny boy at his lecture. No Jackson means no Goa'uld address list from the adjacent structure near the Abydos landing platform.

Time for a little speculation. IF Origins plans to include Ernest Littlefields travel to the planet by random gate activation as seen in the episode "Torment of Tantalus" then catherine would know that the gate goes to more than one planet. Lets look at the logical progression from there.

1. The gate address on the cartouche would be to a 3rd planet verifying the multiple destination dynamic.

2. More security would be at the gate or completely sealed up to prevent inbound travel since they know the gate goes to more locations indicating there could be inbound travelers from any number of other planets especially after killing Ra and presumably pissing off Aset/Isis in the late 30's early 40's. This would make Apophis' arrival more problematic or impossible in turn changing everything that occurred in episode 1 of Stargate SG-1.

The whole thing is a continuity wreck plain and simple.

I can't speak for everyone but this message is for the show runners. Thank you for ruining Stargate for me with your interpretation as to how the story goes with Langford. If in the end you plan to do a memory wipe of all involved to resolve any continuity problems between the franchises then its you that needs the hammer to the head. Everything you would have done during the run of Origins will be for not and wouldn't advance the deep history of Stargate because nobody would remember anything. If you continue to send people through the gate then knowledge of gate travel, and advanced technologies would be everywhere in 30's/40's destroying the established Stargate canon. Had you stated from the start that Origins takes place in another universe such as the new star trek franchise has done then I could accept and even welcome your premise. Just like your website with all its problems, you half assed it. I am beginning to wonder if the show runners sit in a padded room wearing helmets, drooling, and finger painting with their own poop.

Major_Griff
February 15th, 2018, 11:54 AM
This is a general problem with prequels. You either are handcuffed by established continuity and therefore can't do anything new, or you just say heck with it and do whatever you want with no regard for what came before/comes next. Or some combination thereof. The only prequel I've ever seen that manages to avoid this is Better Call Saul. Everything else, from Star Wars to Star Trek, to whatever else falls into that trap.

As for this series ending with mind wipes or time travel shenanigans, that's a cop out of all cop outs. And there's an awful lot of people on two planets that would need to be mind wiped. So that seems super contrived, imo.

Elite Anubis Guard
February 15th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Definitely going to be giving it a whole watch and going in with as much of an open mind as I can. I'm enjoying it but middling so. I echo the sentiments that the low budget really makes it look like what could be a really impressive fan-film. I was hoping they'd fit into the canon with a bit more finesse but I'm not worried it'll be something of a hand-wavey memory wipe thing so I'm not looking forward to that.

Definitely happy we've got new Stargate though. And I will continue to watch in the hopes that it picks up and slots in tidily. I really like Gall and I will always love me some Trinneer. I'm also digging the more direct callbacks to the movie, rather than the show but I know that'll wind more people up than who will enjoy it.

There's no denying this is a compromise. No feature length movies DD and RE and no new show. And it feels like the cheaper compromise it is. Just hoping the whole effort, when all put together, makes up for that.

knowles2
February 15th, 2018, 12:10 PM
This is a general problem with prequels. You either are handcuffed by established continuity and therefore can't do anything new, or you just say heck with it and do whatever you want with no regard for what came before/comes next. Or some combination thereof. The only prequel I've ever seen that manages to avoid this is Better Call Saul. Everything else, from Star Wars to Star Trek, to whatever else falls into that trap.

As for this series ending with mind wipes or time travel shenanigans, that's a cop out of all cop outs. And there's an awful lot of people on two planets that would need to be mind wiped. So that seems super contrived, imo.

Not that many, most of the Germans back in Germany who knows about the stargate will be disposed of by WW2 with the gate out of their reach in the US. The Germans will probably be kill by the Goa'uld. Leaving only Langford, that Egyptian fella and her boyfriend needing their minds wiped.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 15th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Eh... It was kinda fun I guess - though the dialogue felt a bit wooden. I am glad they are going back to lighthearteness, though maybe taking it too far and not striking the nice balance SG1 had

Everyone's losing their minds about the gate activating... chill guys, the writers have said they weren't going to break established canon, and I think they would have noticed something like this. Let's see what they do to explain this, I'm personally expecting Mitchell from the end of Continuum to be somehow in involved.

Supergater
February 15th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Definitely a level lower than the serialized Stargate series but I get it that its because of lower budget. As of 3 episodes the storylines interesting and still attention grabbing albeit a little slow. I guess that why everyone should wait until ALL episodes are out first to get the actual feel of the whole movie (10 episode, 10 minutes = 1hour 40 min movie). Try watching an Indiana Jones movie for 30 minute then come back the next day for the rest and see if you feel if the story loses momentum.

As for lack of continuity, I feel I must point that these 3 episode ONLY establishes that Catherine and dad know it is a STAR-GATE - gateway to another place. And that it needs 7 symbols to open the gate. It is NEVER indicated that Catherine already has the Point Of Origin symbol. She only know THESE 7 symbol opens A(one) gate activation. She DOESN'T know that last symbol WAS the point of origin until Dr Jackson said it was. All she did was read the nazi Dr Brucke's notebook....she doesn't know ANYTHING yet. Therefore one (rather important) continuity point that should be establish on the last episode is the lost of said notebook, then we are back to the Stargate movie continuity. This also fits into Torment of Tantalus that they were trying to replicate what happen here in SGO and when they say they didn't know what the Stargate is for, (speculation here) Catherine and dad chose to keep quiet certain (not all) details of what they truly know. (The why would be established in the next 7 episode, dependent on what's the story that occur offworld).

h4mx0r
February 15th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Oof... This... was not that good.

Some of the scenes felt like I was watching a high school theater production. Low budget, I get it, but man...

Why would the Nazi's chief occultist only bring like 3 soldiers and a camerawoman to such an important find?

I assume that the notebook or this gate will be destroyed at some point, otherwise I don't see why Catherine wouldn't have just dialed this address again 60 years later. There are still seven episodes, so we'll just see what they do for continuity.

I don't mind trying to be lighthearted, but the characters were acting really over-the-top comical, which didn't really seem to fit the seriousness of the situation.

I hope for the best, because I want the Stargate franchise to gain traction again... but I don't know if this is gonna do it.

thekillman
February 15th, 2018, 10:16 PM
Why would the Nazi's chief occultist only bring like 3 soldiers and a camerawoman to such an important find?

The Nazi's were fairly obsessed with getting relics and such. But they are at war or about to start one, so it's not like they'd send 500 soldiers to the middle of nowhere to get a metal ring.

I assume that the notebook or this gate will be destroyed at some point, otherwise I don't see why Catherine wouldn't have just dialed this address again 60 years later. There are still seven episodes, so we'll just see what they do for continuity.
If they bury the gate, then it won't work again. Meaning they'd have no addresses. Langford seems to think it's a time machine, whereas the Occultist seems to think he's in heaven or some place. The idea that the symbols are an actual address seems unknown at this point.

dosed150
February 15th, 2018, 11:48 PM
Oof... This... was not that good.

Some of the scenes felt like I was watching a high school theater production. Low budget, I get it, but man...

I don't mind trying to be lighthearted, but the characters were acting really over-the-top comical, which didn't really seem to fit the seriousness of the situation.

I hope for the best, because I want the Stargate franchise to gain traction again... but I don't know if this is gonna do it.

I'm thinking hes a bit like a nazi daniel jackson in that everyone just thinks hes a crackpot with mad ideas, his first line when they get to adydos does imply Hitler didnt believe him so makes sense they wouldnt give him many people, also you can sneak a few people into egypt, I think the british would notice a larger force

Im not sure what to think, but i came in with very low expectations and it at least exceeds those

sci-fi fanatic
February 16th, 2018, 05:33 AM
My expectations were pretty low, and Origins mostly fit with what I was anticipating. It definitely has a smaller budget, which is tricky on a Stargate series. There were a few good scenes, particularly Catherine's trip through the gate. I like the old-school adventure vibe of Origins, which does feel closer to the movie and early SG-1. However, I don't want to over sell it either. It's a very light show, and the stakes feel low. This isn't a good sign given that we're talking about such a cool discovery (in theory).

I wrote a long blog post about the first three episodes if you're interested:

http://www.ptsnob.com/2018/02/reopening-gate-on-stargate-origins.html

If you check it out, I'd love to hear what you think!

Vyse
February 16th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Wow, that was really bad. I can overlook the budget issues if there is a good story, dialogue, and characters. However, I also can't overlook the blatant canon violations, and silly stuff like a car battery powering the Stargate. Also, I understand there is a small budget. but they could have done some detailing on the Stargate to make it appear as it did on the show.

2/10

SamJackShipper93
February 16th, 2018, 06:34 AM
Wow, that was really bad. I can overlook the budget issues if there is a good story, dialogue, and characters. However, I also can't overlook the blatant canon violations, and silly stuff like a car battery powering the Stargate. Also, I understand there is a small budget. but they could have done some detailing on the Stargate to make it appear as it did on the show.

2/10

SG-1 literally powered the gate with a car battery in 1969. It's been done before, it can be done again.

NickEast
February 16th, 2018, 07:23 AM
SG-1 literally powered the gate with a car battery in 1969. It's been done before, it can be done again.

You mean it's been done again so it can be done before? Since SG-1 did that after the Nazi's did :D?

Still, there's too much going on for me to be happy about this. The more I see, the more I'm concerned. With all that's happening, how then do neither Catherine nor her father act on it after the gate is brought to America? Some elements, like the Nazi Occultists with the DHD research and everything, still work and I'm fine with that, but how can they instantly figure out how to dial the gate without having access to it, and then when they do they immediately succeed without failing at all?

Catherine also has the notebook. While she doesn't know what the symbols mean (though it's strange the Nazis already knew they were constellations), she does know the combination to Abydos, including that you need 7 symbols with the "pyramid and circle" as the final symbol. Then why did she need Jackson to figure out they need seven symbols, with the pyramid as the last symbol? She clearly says in the film when the sixth symbol is locked that that is as far as they've ever been able to get.

It's also pretty clear they're traveling to Abydos. The design of the gate room is understandable because of budget, but why did no-one ever find references to Aset (the Goa'uld they encounter) and why didn't the Goa'uld ever find out that humans visited Abydos before? Aset is supposedly the "manager" of Abydos while Ra is out there ruling the System Lords. But if anything happened there (either Aset is killed, or she kills the Nazis, followed by Catherine and her father safely returning to Earth), then it's hard to cover it up without anyone ever finding out about it (Goa'uld or SGC alike).

If the Langfords and the others deliberately lied or covered up the truth, then it seems highly irresponsible to let Ernest go through in a diving suit in 1945, followed by the whole Giza Project in the early 90s and Catherine letting Daniel go to Abydos without any kind of knowledge of what to expect. Even then, it's even more implausible that after being reunited with Ernest, she still doesn't tell the truth. Why would she allow dozens of soldiers and civilians, and the entire Earth for that matter, be threatened by the Goa'uld just because she somehow couldn't tell anyone about the threat that she saw herself?

The only explanations I can see is either memory loss, time travel (as in Atlantis "Before I Sleep"), or a dream ending. None of those I feel would justify the whole effort of developing this project or the existing history of Stargate (both in real-life and the fictional universe). While the shows frequently touched upon time travel, it was just part of the conflict in the episodes. Now it just feels like a gimmick and poor excuse to rationalize their decision to write an Indiana Jones-like story and throw in their personal opinions even if they upset canon under the cover of "for the fans" when they clearly enforce their own vision on us.

thekillman
February 16th, 2018, 09:55 AM
It's also pretty clear they're traveling to Abydos.

It doesn't seem like Abydos to me.

Major_Griff
February 16th, 2018, 10:22 AM

People have said that the address in the Nazi's notebook matches the address for Abydos. My thought when watching was that it must have been another planet that was in range, but no, it's Abydos. Which creates even more continuity issues.

dixon hill
February 16th, 2018, 10:45 AM
I was really, really disappointed and angry with This .armature 3x 10 minute hatchet job.

It totally ignores the well established SG universe, MGM have blown a real opportunity Hear.

"Stargate origins"?.
Well no, not really. If they had put any thought in to this, it should have been set in Egypt 5000 years ago ,they could have kicked it of with a reference to the SG1 episode Moebius when the team where trapped in the past looking for a ZPM. That is the real SG origin. The story of Ra and how he was kicked off earth. they had thousands of years of possible story lines from the Egypt rebellions that kicked Ra off earth and the burial of the gate to the ancients and king Arthur and Merlin. But instead we are given this ....drivel.

Poorly acted, worse sets (obviously a painting in the window of the ...temple? off world) forced Humour of a child (why did the German soldier put on her underwear what was the point of that ?)

One 1940s generator and a car battery to power the gate Oh really!! and a working stargate address ? No just NO ffs
If MGM wanted to kill the franchise, this is the way to do it. what is worse they charged $20 to see it i have every DVD of the whole universe and lots of memorabilia i will not sully my collection with this Rubbish. SG means to much to me to allow it to contaminate such a brilliant series of well acted, high production values, and intelligent storys ....
As i sat through what was a torturous 3 episodes ,this quote popped in to my head
"Never in the history of boredom has anyone been more bored than I am right now".
Jack O'Neill

OH!!! the Humanity

h4mx0r
February 16th, 2018, 11:40 AM
The Nazi's were fairly obsessed with getting relics and such. But they are at war or about to start one, so it's not like they'd send 500 soldiers to the middle of nowhere to get a metal ring.

If they bury the gate, then it won't work again. Meaning they'd have no addresses. Langford seems to think it's a time machine, whereas the Occultist seems to think he's in heaven or some place. The idea that the symbols are an actual address seems unknown at this point.

Fair point, though still, the Chief Occultist only brings 3 guys? Not fifty? Maybe at least ten? You'd think that a guy with an important sounding title would get a little bit more.

Also true, they are still speculating what it is, and the gate could get buried. Like I said, we have 7 more episodes to find out how this supposedly does not disrupt the canon. At this current rate, if she keeps the address now, it seems reasonable they would have tried to factor this address in while trying to decipher the Abydos address in the 90s. (They would have thought "hey maybe there should be a 7th symbol. Hey maybe it's this pyramid with a circle on top? Can't hurt to try it.")

thekillman
February 16th, 2018, 11:43 AM
One 1940s generator and a car battery to power the gate Oh really!! and a working stargate address ? No just NO ffs

Yes, it's been done before. The gate only needs the brief initial pulse of power to make a connection. It only needs a few microseconds of connection before the DHD on the other end can power it. It also has internal capacitors that store a lot of power, so even a lightning strike (while several gigawatts worth, it's only a few miliseconds long. In other words, a couple of million joules. Run a car engine for a few minutes and you have the same amount of energy)

I've been watching the movie (thanks, mgm!), and it's clear that Catherine knew the principle of the gate dialling. She even comments that they've gotten to the 6th symbol, implying she understood the dialling process and what to do. The part the military didn't understand, was it's exact purpose ( gateway to heaven vs stargate) and the nature of the symbols (constellations, ie spatial coordinates).

It seems the military believed they could even force a solution (it would only need 39 attempts to find the 7th symbol and dial by accident), since O'neill was brought in 2 years into the mission in case they succeeded.

VampyreWraith
February 16th, 2018, 11:49 AM
I'm really not sure what to think of it at this point. The tone was ok. I don't mind that it's low budget, but the dialogue is pretty horrible, most of it feels really unnatural. Catherine seems like she's trying too hard to be a badass, its just irritating to watch (or rather the show it trying too hard to make her a badass, it just comes off as unnatural and silly). Since this is supposed to fit into canon somehow, and even though I really hope it does, I'm really not looking forward to seeing how they're going to try to shoehorn this into established continuity because as it is right now it doesn't seem to fit at all.

thekillman
February 16th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Fair point, though still, the Chief Occultist only brings 3 guys? Not fifty? Maybe at least ten? You'd think that a guy with an important sounding title would get a little bit more.

Also true, they are still speculating what it is, and the gate could get buried. Like I said, we have 7 more episodes to find out how this supposedly does not disrupt the canon. At this current rate, if she keeps the address now, it seems reasonable they would have tried to factor this address in while trying to decipher the Abydos address in the 90s. (They would have thought "hey maybe there should be a 7th symbol. Hey maybe it's this pyramid with a circle on top? Can't hurt to try it.")

Considering a major war is about to start, i seriously doubt that the Nazi high command would give him anything, really. The implications are that this occultist guy isn't even believed in the first place, and he's basically tasked to steal an artifact from the middle of nowhere that nobody cares about. While he does have an important sounding title, it doesn't really mean anything.

I checked the Stargate Movie, and the adress is indeed abydos. Also note that the book shows the names of the constellations. This practically guarantees that the booklet will be lost. Considering she's running towards Abydos, i wouldn't be surprised at all if it gets lost. Catherine is too busy with the dialling since she doesn't seem to realize they are, in fact, constellations (she does say "the one that looks like a Y" and not "Taurus"). Though to be fair, the handwriting is hard to read.

Keep in mind that the symbols on the Gate were known, and that they related to the cartouche was known. The 7th symbol was unknown, because it was depicted rather differently and it was below the address in a way that didn't look like it belonged to it. Like i said, they could've brute forced it but it seems the military didn't want to move forward until they knew what they were dealing with. By linking them to constellations, and by proper translation, Daniel provided essential context.

Abydos Adress in the movie: https://youtu.be/TF3zUOvXUYQ?t=22m17s
Origins: (s01E03 7 minutes in)

In case you want to see the cartouche, it's at 18:17. "At" looks nothing like the proper "At", so it's not terribly surprising that they didn't instantly see the connection.

Since this is supposed to fit into canon somehow, and even though I really hope it does, I'm really not looking forward to seeing how they're going to try to shoehorn this into established continuity because as it is right now it doesn't seem to fit at all.

It's far more canonically fitting than many make it out to be. They didn't forget the icing effect, the gate effects, the constellations and their proper order, the manual dialling. Hell, they even included the little extra burst of electricity that makes the chevrons lock! The only thing standing in the way of canon so far, is that booklet.

deathil93
February 16th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Oh dang, haven't been on these forums in years :D

Would like to share my honest opinion:

Continuity issues aside (a few crazy twists can fix anything in any plot) and the fact that this was done as a low-budget "feel the reaction" type of project - I'd say it was rather okay.

The devoted fan base (me included) was used to high-quality and (somewhat) big budget productions - but for MGM it was too much of a risk, since Stargate isn't on par with Star Trek and Star Wars in popularity. I totally get the business perspective and I think the production stretched their budget as much as they could. You can only do so much with a shoestring budget (mainly getting writers and actors with barely little experience - hence the final result).

All in all, when one judges a production like this, you need to take into account that this isn't really what Stargate is (per-say) - but it does embody the values and lightheartedness the TV series writers and producers had. It's a decent attempt at replicating what SG1 was in spirit.

All the positivity aside -
MGM could and should have done better. Bringing new fans and re-establishing the Stargate franchise is a big task - but this is far from the path. They should have done better market research and studied the audience better.

They should have taken an example from what CBS did with Star Trek Discovery. They went all in (to not lose their rights for the TV series) and made a very high quality, though abit controversial, show. It got good ratings, both in live views and in general reception - but only because they knew their direction.

MGM sadly doesn't understand the fact that Sci-fi shows, especially ones like Stargate that have a relatively large cult following, need to be invested in properly - both financially and production values wise.

Making an origins story is a great idea to reboot a franchise, but not in this way. What they SHOULD have done was give it the budget it deserves - with a decent runtime of around one hour per episode. A decently budgeted mini-series to re-ignite interest in the franchise would have done WAY better than this attempt.

thekillman
February 16th, 2018, 12:13 PM
MGM could and should have done better. Bringing new fans and re-establishing the Stargate franchise is a big task - but this is far from the path. They should have done better market research and studied the audience better.

MGM went bankrupt not long ago, with a multi-billion dollar debt. I'm not surprised their finance department is tight on the budget. Considering how Stargate fizzled out, it's not surprising they want some proof of concept. Judging by Cristopher Judge's reaction, the will is there, but marketing/finance at MGM needs to be convinced.

MGM could and should have done better.
To be clear, i do agree on this account. But as with the Emmerich movie plans, it shows that Stargate is alive at MGM. But they can't shelve out ~50 million dollars on a TV show that got cancelled 7 years ago. ST:D comes hot off the heels of a multi-million dollar movie franchise that despite some controversy, made money.
You can't compare that.

NickEast
February 16th, 2018, 12:30 PM

The "Mission Files" indicate it's Abydos, also because the Goa'uld they encounter is overseeing Abydos on behalf of Ra. And indeed the address is also Abydos.

VampyreWraith
February 16th, 2018, 12:53 PM
Considering a major war is about to start, i seriously doubt that the Nazi high command would give him anything, really. The implications are that this occultist guy isn't even believed in the first place, and he's basically tasked to steal an artifact from the middle of nowhere that nobody cares about. While he does have an important sounding title, it doesn't really mean anything.

I checked the Stargate Movie, and the adress is indeed abydos. Also note that the book shows the names of the constellations. This practically guarantees that the booklet will be lost. Considering she's running towards Abydos, i wouldn't be surprised at all if it gets lost. Catherine is too busy with the dialling since she doesn't seem to realize they are, in fact, constellations (she does say "the one that looks like a Y" and not "Taurus"). Though to be fair, the handwriting is hard to read.

Keep in mind that the symbols on the Gate were known, and that they related to the cartouche was known. The 7th symbol was unknown, because it was depicted rather differently and it was below the address in a way that didn't look like it belonged to it. Like i said, they could've brute forced it but it seems the military didn't want to move forward until they knew what they were dealing with. By linking them to constellations, and by proper translation, Daniel provided essential context.

In case you want to see the cartouche, it's at 18:17. "At" looks nothing like the proper "At", so it's not terribly surprising that they didn't instantly see the connection.

It's far more canonically fitting than many make it out to be. They didn't forget the icing effect, the gate effects, the constellations and their proper order, the manual dialling. Hell, they even included the little extra burst of electricity that makes the chevrons lock! The only thing standing in the way of canon so far, is that booklet.

Yeah, that book should be getting lost in the upcoming episodes, the main problem I had was with Catherine knowing that there are 7 symbols and clearly describing the last symbol to put in. From what I remember she didn't know what the last symbol was and said that they had only ever gotten as far as 6 symbols, wouldn't she think to try that one before going to look for Daniel to help with figuring things out. I mean she could have forgotten, but it seems like something she'd remember especially since it was the last symbol. Even when I cant remember someone's whole phone number, I usually remember at least the last two numbers. Catherine also never came across as someone who went through the Stargate before Torment of Tantalus, I mean yeah, she could have just not mentioned it, but that's why it the whole thing feels shoehorned in.

To add, I know the most obvious way to fix what Catherine remembers or mentions later on is some kind of mind wipe, I just don't really like that idea or find it interesting.

Major_Griff
February 16th, 2018, 03:05 PM

They remembered that, but they forgot the 'rough ride'.

Snakeyes
February 16th, 2018, 07:21 PM
They lost me when 1 the Nazis open the gate. 2. Catherine witnessed the gate being open. 3. Catherine went through the stargate with a unnamed boyfriend. Was he supposed to be Ernest Littlefield?

Kelso
February 16th, 2018, 08:59 PM
Origins is actually pretty fun. It's low-budget and none of the actors are particularly good... but it's enjoyable to watch. No, it doesn't fit with the continuity, but I'm just looking at it as a "What if Catherine Langford had gone through the Stargate in 1939?"

If they put it out as a reasonably priced DTV movie I'll pick it up.

thekillman
February 16th, 2018, 10:35 PM
Even when I cant remember someone's whole phone number, I usually remember at least the last two numbers.

I don't. I've seen the symbols for abydos yesterday, twice, and the only ones i can remember is that the first one is taurus and the 6th is Orion. I mean, and "At" obviously but that's been featured dozens of times across many years.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 17th, 2018, 12:27 AM
They lost me when 1 the Nazis open the gate. 2. Catherine witnessed the gate being open. 3. Catherine went through the stargate with a unnamed boyfriend. Was he supposed to be Ernest Littlefield?

He is named as James Beal - and remember this is 6 years before she was established to be with Ernest.

I don't. I've seen the symbols for abydos yesterday, twice, and the only ones i can remember is that the first one is taurus and the 6th is Orion. I mean, and "At" obviously but that's been featured dozens of times across many years.

I think she would at least recognise it looking at the gate. It would suck if the explaination is "Catherine loses the notebook and forgets the symbol"

Does James remind anyone else of a slightly less camp version of Lt George in Blackadder Goes Forth?

Jper
February 17th, 2018, 01:52 AM

AFAIK they powered the gate with the energy produced by several running military vehicles. Not a simple car battery.

Elite Anubis Guard
February 17th, 2018, 03:24 AM
To add, I know the most obvious way to fix what Catherine remembers or mentions later on is some kind of mind wipe, I just don't really like that idea or find it interesting.

That's my biggest cringe at the minute. There were ways to make this fit tidily into the continuity without resorting to to cheap and lame mind-wipe and I fear that's where we're going with it.

I'm hoping that doesn't turn out to be the case though.

KEK
February 17th, 2018, 04:44 AM
It's so bad.

So, so bad.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 17th, 2018, 04:48 AM
AFAIK they powered the gate with the energy produced by several running military vehicles. Not a simple car battery.
They also had a generator from the flood light

thekillman
February 17th, 2018, 06:53 AM

it doesn't matter. The stargate can easily store energy. If it takes 5 seconds to charge with 2 engines, it takes 10 seconds with 1. They could power the thing with AAA batteries if need be.

DigiFluid
February 17th, 2018, 07:10 AM
it doesn't matter. The stargate can easily store energy. If it takes 5 seconds to charge with 2 engines, it takes 10 seconds with 1. They could power the thing with AAA batteries if need be.

Remember when they did it with moss that just happened to be growing nearby? :D

VampyreWraith
February 17th, 2018, 07:46 AM
I think she would at least recognise it looking at the gate. It would suck if the explaination is "Catherine loses the notebook and forgets the symbol"

Yeah, and at the time this story takes place, she's apparently been looking at/studying the gate with her father for years and then she clearly describes what the last symbol she used to to get the gate open is. It's not like she's never seen the gate or the symbols on them before, then it might be a bit more understandable for her to later on be like "I'm not sure, I don't remember it was just some strange symbol, they all look alike to me."

That's my biggest cringe at the minute. There were ways to make this fit tidily into the continuity without resorting to to cheap and lame mind-wipe and I fear that's where we're going with it.

I'm hoping that doesn't turn out to be the case though.

I agree. I was (and still kind of am) really hoping that they would find some way to make it fit in nicely with everything else, without resorting to a mind wipe or something similar so that it fits.

kobolds
February 17th, 2018, 10:25 AM
feel like watching a low budget live play .

Wolf O'Donnell
February 17th, 2018, 10:27 AM
I agree with the others who said that it felt like a fan film but I am going to at least watch the whole series. It's not what we are used to but I think it can get better.

GuizmoPhil
February 17th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Arf, that show is not really good, but, since I like the Stargate's universe, I will be watching it to see if in the end it can becomes significant and add something to the story ark.

So far, I'm irritated by the light-heartly-ness of the caracters in supposed serious situation. The type of humor seems to be aimed at kids. But Stargate was never aimed at kids, it was aimed for a general audience of all ages. Apart from the SG-1 Pilot that was originally aimed at a more mature audience because of nudity, Stargate was aimed at everyone.

That pantie fetish nazi... wtf? The cliché humor of Catherine, the way she "solves" problems, everything is so easy going. It really feels like they're aiming at kids audience.

The only think I can compare Stargate Origins to, is Avatar: Legend of Korra.

While Avatar, the last airbender original series was a freaking awesome enjoyable to watch tv show aimed for general audience, not just kids, the sequel Legend of Korra was terrible and was aimed at kids only.

I did watch the first season of Korra, but didn't bother the other two because how bad it felt. So far, if the SGO continues on this path, I won't be watching next seasons(if they even have remaining fans to watch a 2nd season).

Regarding the stroy ark a.k.a. canon, it is still possible that it follows the well established canon, if they get memory wiped and that book is lost. Otherwise, there are major issue with this storyline.

thekillman
February 17th, 2018, 12:38 PM
feel like watching a low budget live play .

It's a low-budget pre-recorded play.

rushy
February 17th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Haven't seen it yet(will watch the whole thing like a movie as intended when it has fully come out), but I'm just happy that there's new Stargate.

meo3000
February 17th, 2018, 06:54 PM
I still don't understand the purpose of SGO.

1) A small budget project to gauge the fans interest before investing big money.

2) Something to justify the new platform while the 4th series is being planed.

3) Script money from abandoned trilogy used for fan servicing, might as well keep hope alive.

MGM, after 7 years off TV, that's how you choose to bring back YOUR big franchise, with a cheap imitation. Stupid shows get made all the time with big budgets but YOU still need justification to invest in your biggest property. Unbelievable.

You do realize Star Trek made a comeback on tv, yes? It wasn't perfect but we can see they at least put a lot of effort to make it look good. They hired a few recognizable actors that can actually act. The story was all over the place but it wasn't bad. Even Star Wars is coming to "tv". What are you waiting for? The good old days of tv/dvd to come back?

Commit or sell.

thekillman
February 17th, 2018, 11:00 PM

1) A small budget project to gauge the fans interest before investing big money.

This is the purpose.

You do realize Star Trek made a comeback on tv, yes?

Star Trek has had 3 commercially successfull, big-screen multi-million dollar movies in the past decade. Stargate's been dead for at least 7 years. At least 10 if you count from Sg1's end. A trek series is a financial no-brainer.

MGM is still recovering from a bankrupcy. I'm sure it's financial department won't commit ~50 million to a series that may have no audience left (according to Mallozzi, the main audience for SG1 was in the 40-50 age region. By now, that's 50-60.) Hence, they're gauging the reaction. SGO doesn't need an overwhelming response, since it doesn't have an overwhelming budget.

Supergater
February 18th, 2018, 03:04 AM

I agree. So far this seems to provide the most comprehensive explanation to the many lack-of-continuity comments. The book is the only most complete to-date "user manual" of the Stargate beside Dr Brucke himself (who will most likely be dead before any knowledge is imparted). Everyone else knows next to nothing, i.e. Catherine doesn't know AT is point of origin, it is always 7 symbols not 4,5,6 symbols or gate can dial more than 1 address. Therefore the key to continuity would be the lost of the book.

On top of that, in season 2 of "1969", SG-1 manage to dial the gate with military car battery. As Capt. Carter explained, once a minimum power is channeled into the gate, the inner rings are unlocked for manual dialing. Once wormhole is established, any additional power requirements will automatically be compensated be the receiving DHD, as said by the Tok'ra in season 5 "48 hours". Therefore, it is perfectly possible for the Nazis to dial using a single military car battery. Abydos DHD would provide the needed power once connected.

Snake56
February 18th, 2018, 08:47 AM
It's so bad.
So, so bad.

True. It feels like a student project that got greenlit by mistake. Origins is the Stargate answer to ST: Discovery, both are sub-par fanfictions.

SamJackShipper93
February 18th, 2018, 10:25 AM
This is the purpose.

Star Trek has had 3 commercially successfull, big-screen multi-million dollar movies in the past decade. Stargate's been dead for at least 7 years. At least 10 if you count from Sg1's end. A trek series is a financial no-brainer.

MGM is still recovering from a bankrupcy. I'm sure it's financial department won't commit ~50 million to a series that may have no audience left (according to Mallozzi, the main audience for SG1 was in the 40-50 age region. By now, that's 50-60.) Hence, they're gauging the reaction. SGO doesn't need an overwhelming response, since it doesn't have an overwhelming budget.

Exactly! Thank you! MGM is totally willing to commit to a full blown series. Stargate Command and SGO is their way of making sure their commitment to a 20 year old series that's been off the air for 7 is not going to completely back fire.

Film and television is a business just like anything else. There are risks and gains, but MGM wants to make sure this venture is good for them as well as the fans.

Platschu
February 18th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Okay I have watched the first three episodes :

Pros:
- stargate again
- good tie-in with the established mythology
- the wormhole effects similar to the Stargate movie

Cons:
- terrible acting only Catherine and Prof. Langford are good
- terrible jokes
- sexual assults and offers
- not the usual dialing, kawoosh and wormhole sound effects
- all chevrons lock glyps while it should be only the top

So honestly the story is enjoyable so far. It is much better what I expected. But the jokes are bad and it ruins the atmosphere of the movie. Once they talk about serious things then next second they joke about something. Like the writer didn't know if they want to make it as a comedy or drama.

Shiner833
February 18th, 2018, 04:40 PM
It’s obviously not the big budget production that we’re all used too but I’m going to continue to watch and support the franchise with hopes of more to come.

Wolf O'Donnell
February 18th, 2018, 07:03 PM
Arf, that show is not really good, but, since I like the Stargate's universe, I will be watching it to see if in the end it can becomes significant and add something to the story ark.

So far, I'm irritated by the light-heartly-ness of the caracters in supposed serious situation. The type of humor seems to be aimed at kids. But Stargate was never aimed at kids, it was aimed for a general audience of all ages. Apart from the SG-1 Pilot that was originally aimed at a more mature audience because of nudity, Stargate was aimed at everyone.

That pantie fetish nazi... wtf? The cliché humor of Catherine, the way she "solves" problems, everything is so easy going. It really feels like they're aiming at kids audience.

The only think I can compare Stargate Origins to, is Avatar: Legend of Korra.

While Avatar, the last airbender original series was a freaking awesome enjoyable to watch tv show aimed for general audience, not just kids, the sequel Legend of Korra was terrible and was aimed at kids only.

I did watch the first season of Korra, but didn't bother the other two because how bad it felt. So far, if the SGO continues on this path, I won't be watching next seasons(if they even have remaining fans to watch a 2nd season).

Regarding the stroy ark a.k.a. canon, it is still possible that it follows the well established canon, if they get memory wiped and that book is lost. Otherwise, there are major issue with this storyline.

It may be a reaction to what people were saying about SGU. People would always argue that SGU lacked humor and was "emo" (:beckettanime09:) and they may be going out of their way to showcase a more comical tone to appease those fans.

Snake56
February 19th, 2018, 04:07 AM
So far, I'm irritated by the light-heartly-ness of the caracters in supposed serious situation. The type of humor seems to be aimed at kids. But Stargate was never aimed at kids, it was aimed for a general audience of all ages.

That's the big problem with the young writers these days, they think that everything has to sound like if it was written by Joss Whedon.

It's Star Trek Discovery all over again. Nostalgia bait and fanfiction-tier scripts written by people who don't give a damn about the history of the franchise.

Cadmius
February 19th, 2018, 07:56 AM
I'm a long time Stargate fan and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents:

The choice of involving the Nazi Germany angle upsets me due to total lack of creativity. It seems like an easy plot device to throw in Nazi occultists trying to procure technology for the 'fuhrer' (notice how they didn't say the name, they thought no need, yet didn't mind injecting Nazi Germany). I'm sorry, but it's quite insulting and taints credibility of the writers, who no doubt believe they are writing great material. Raiders of the Lost Ark was a clear influence, right down to the Nazi occultists who just happen to be in Egypt letting the locals dig up the relics, just to swoop in and steal the prize and to create the key dramatic scenes which we end up remember the most.

It all just felt so contrived and clearly written by a younger generation of writers who really don't respect the franchise and/or science fiction writing in general. Let's face it, it's just another gig for these writers who will simply move on to another project, and write the same irreverent dialog. I just find there is too much unnecessary 'emo' dialog that does not advance the plot. The push seems to be to create 'drama' by any means necessary, usually tugging at the family heart-strings, knowing that audiences respond best to the dramatic formula.

I understand the argument 'well at least we're getting more Stargate', however I never found that to be a good reason just to watch any of the reboots. I'd say, 'at least there's an actual Stargate prop in the first episode', and that is about as much praise as I would extend at this point. I found the acting very typical of television dramas. There were not any notable cinematic moments that would stand out to memory. Even the CG of the Stargate 'splash' and shimmer of the event horizon was unimpressive, compared to the variety of equivalent event horizon 'splashes' done throughout the 12+ years of SG1 and SGA. That's about the gist of what bothers me. I'll still watch Origins, primarily because of the 10 min run time, which is probably the biggest advantage of SGO's online format.

thekillman
February 19th, 2018, 09:25 AM
The choice of involving the Nazi Germany angle upsets me due to total lack of creativity.

This is actually consistent with canon. the Germans had access to the DHD. With the Gate being discovered in the 20's and Tornment taking place in the 60's i think, there's basically only a Nazi Germany era left to explore. And if anyone would've figured out how the gate worked before the US in the 90's, well, it's the germans.

it seems like an easy plot device to throw in Nazi occultists trying to procure technology for the 'fuhrer'
The nazi's were desperate to strengthen their legitimacy. Before and during WWII they stole massive amounts of art to prove their aryan superiority. If there's one nation in that era obsessed with ancient relics, it would be them. American in the Cold War spent exorbitant amounts of money on anything that seemed even remotely useful to the war, but the Gate wasn't in the US by then.

So as far as choice of enemies goes... well it works.

NickEast
February 19th, 2018, 01:38 PM
This is actually consistent with canon. the Germans had access to the DHD. With the Gate being discovered in the 20's and Tornment taking place in the 60's i think, there's basically only a Nazi Germany era left to explore. And if anyone would've figured out how the gate worked before the US in the 90's, well, it's the germans.

The nazi's were desperate to strengthen their legitimacy. Before and during WWII they stole massive amounts of art to prove their aryan superiority. If there's one nation in that era obsessed with ancient relics, it would be them. American in the Cold War spent exorbitant amounts of money on anything that seemed even remotely useful to the war, but the Gate wasn't in the US by then.

So as far as choice of enemies goes... well it works.

The flashbacks of Torment of Tantalus take place in 1944/45 (at least the accidental activation occurred in 1945, some of the other flashbacks could have occurred slightly earlier). It seems illogical, since the whole point of taking the gate to America in 1939 was to prevent it from falling into Nazi hands, not to rescue it from them (as the RPG originally explained before Continuum explained it in more detail).

Yes, the Nazis did have the DHD, and they had the canopic jar with Sekhmet (as explained in "Resurrection"), but they technically didn't have access to the Stargate, because it was taken to America before they could get their hands on it. That is my very problem with Origins, that now it appears that the Nazis did use the gate, which feels illogical to what was explained. The worst thing is, is that the Nazis figured out how the gate worked without having access to it. They just looked at the DHD (which wouldn't work without being connected to a gate) and analyzed as much as they could. When they did get access to the gate in Origins, they managed to activate it in one try, whereas it took Langford 6 years after arriving in America to accidentally activate it, and Catherine at least two years in the 90s until she hires Daniel who finds out the needed seven symbols instead of the six they had been trying all those years.

Platschu
February 20th, 2018, 12:21 PM
I don't remember, what happened with the DHD on Earth? Was it destroyed during the World War 2 in Berlin?

SamJackShipper93
February 20th, 2018, 01:07 PM
I don't remember, what happened with the DHD on Earth? Was it destroyed during the World War 2 in Berlin?

The Russians gained possession of the DHD, which was destroyed when the SGC used it to save Tealc in "48 Hours"

Eventless Horizon
February 20th, 2018, 10:05 PM
I agree with the overall sentiment of this thread. It is wonderful to see more SG but it is painfully obvious there was a serious lack of effort. If anything I would say the SG fan base is very detailed oriented and likes to have strong cohesion between story lines. My biggest issues were:

1. Quite a bit of bad acting
2. Single car battery to activate gate (yes, I know they did it with a series of batteries and a generator in the past)
3. Terrible CG and sound of the worm hole blasting from the gate.
4. Script for first three episodes was lack luster.
5. Missing the wow factor with hieroglyphs or similar discoveries.
6. The Nazi soldiers presented themselves in a very rape-ish (toward Catherine) and cross dressing way
7. The far fetched strength they give Catherine. I am very much for women being able to defend themselves but seemed a bit over the top fake. (The hand tied shove to the Nazi Soldier whose head hits the steering wheel and is knocked out is an example. Just saying she is very strong and capable in fighting for not having military or other experience.) I think Samantha Carter wouldn't have done the cheesy moves that over exaggerate and seemingly diminish the believably of women being able to defend themselves. In S01 E04 "Emancipation" this is a well made example of a woman defending herself. Origins is portraying Catherine and a Spoofy Indiana Jones style. In my humble opinion.
8. The over all vibe is very much Fan Fiction... when it was made by the actual studio.
9. The chevrons dont glow or lock in correct placement. The Soldier would had to have climbed all over the gate and set each chevron.
10. The 10 minute shorts are a killer tease for such a die hard fan base.
11. Catherine's boyfriend James does a terrible job...

I am sure I could ramble off a few more if I sat and tried... but it is the small things that make it just feel right. Like an SG show should feel.

Lastly, I would like to say that I hate to leave this without mentioning that I am still very excited to have some new StarGate to enjoy. I have seen every episode of every iteration and love it all... Universe could have been a tad better, but I still loved it. lol

I think they need to invest real time, money and resources and give a true attempt or sell the franchise.

Oh, and would it be an amazing surprise if the rest of Origins is up to par but I dont really have my hopes up. I will still be watching and hope the creators take a lot of this advice from the fans and use it.

Elite Anubis Guard
February 21st, 2018, 01:54 AM
The Antarctic one ran out of power, didn't it? I can't really remember now I'm thinking about it.

NickEast
February 21st, 2018, 01:59 AM
The Antarctic one ran out of power, didn't it? I can't really remember now I'm thinking about it.

Yep, it ran out of power after the rogue NID used it to steal the touchstone (in "Touchstone") and then escaped through the Beta gate. I don't remember exactly in which episode they mention that it ran out of power though, but I do know Carter mentioned this.

Osiristi
February 21st, 2018, 04:24 AM
Slightly off topic, but now that we are discussing the DHDs and Stargates: What happened to the Beta DHD? Alpha DHD, the one found in Egypt by Nazis before finding the Alpha Gate, is the one that was destroyed in 48 Hours. But in Solitude, there was a DHD with the Beta Gate. Whatever happened to that one?

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 21st, 2018, 04:54 AM
Slightly off topic, but now that we are discussing the DHDs and Stargates: What happened to the Beta DHD? Alpha DHD, the one found in Egypt by Nazis before finding the Alpha Gate, is the one that was destroyed in 48 Hours. But in Solitude, there was a DHD with the Beta Gate. Whatever happened to that one?

Apparently it ran out of power:

The one found with the Antarctic Gate died shortly after it was brought back to Area 51. It was used a few times and then just ran out of energy.

SamJackShipper93
February 21st, 2018, 06:51 AM
Apparently it ran out of power:

Hmm ... I don't remember this. Was this touched on in an extra-canonical source? To my mind, it was never mentioned in the series.

BlitzThose
February 21st, 2018, 08:00 AM
I was able to overlook the low budget and the lackluster acting my main problem with this is the writing.

1) powering the gate with a kubelwagon what a joke.
2) and when Catherine went to get help how the hell was she supposed to steer and change gear with her hands tied together....

Osiristi
February 21st, 2018, 08:06 AM
Hmm ... I don't remember this. Was this touched on in an extra-canonical source? To my mind, it was never mentioned in the series.

Right, it was in Frozen (Season 6, Episode 4). One of my least favourite episodes :P No wonder I forgot its existence.

thekillman
February 21st, 2018, 09:03 AM
I was able to overlook the low budget and the lackluster acting my main problem with this is the writing.

1) powering the gate with a kubelwagon what a joke.
2) and when Catherine went to get help how the hell was she supposed to steer and change gear with her hands tied together....

1: It's been discussed repeatedly that SG1 did the exact same thing. Hell, it's been powered by moss. And lightning. The gate can use anything for power, and it can store it for later use. You could power the gate with AAA batteries if need be.

2: A proper car would go straight if you let go of the wheel. She just has to shift gear on straight ends.

BlitzThose
February 21st, 2018, 11:52 AM
1: It's been discussed repeatedly that SG1 did the exact same thing. Hell, it's been powered by moss. And lightning. The gate can use anything for power, and it can store it for later use. You could power the gate with AAA batteries if need be.

2: A proper car would go straight if you let go of the wheel. She just has to shift gear on straight ends.

well somehow i doubt 30's egypt has proper roads...

SamJackShipper93
February 21st, 2018, 12:08 PM
Right, it was in Frozen (Season 6, Episode 4). One of my least favourite episodes :P No wonder I forgot its existence.

Ah, yes! Thank you!

Supergater
February 21st, 2018, 10:45 PM
Btw continuity mismatch DO happen too from season to season/spin off. Its just that we don't notice because the shows are still running. It just occurred to me that this happen in SG-1's "Torment of Tantalus" and SGA's "38 minutes". In SGA, the scientist Peter Grodin said the gate only transmit matters in whole object and most importantly, any partially demolecularized (like the pilots in the jumper and the front end of the jumper) will not get transmitted until the entire object is fully demolecularized. So how could Ernest be transmitted to Heliopolis when the gate disconnected. Notice carefully that his diving suit has a breathing hose. After Ernest stepped through the gate, there is still the hose coming out of the event horizon, hence considered partial object. When the gate shuts down, the hose is severed and Ernest would still be in the memory buffer (something like Teal'c in "48 hours).

Counterpoint would be that one is a Atlantis gate (newer model) and one is Milky Way gate (older model). Personally I would say that the Atlantis expedition landed in Atlantis for only a few day before "38 minutes" happened - too short a time to discover any new safety protocol on Atlantis gate. Therefore whatever explanation was given was based on knowledge of the Milky Way gate.

My point here is please cut back a bit on the hate for lack of continuity as only 3 episode have aired. Reserve judgement until the end of the series. After all, sometimes the best things in life comes when you least expect it.:vortex04:

Elite Anubis Guard
February 21st, 2018, 11:28 PM
My point here is please cut back a bit on the hate for lack of continuity as only 3 episode have aired. Reserve judgement until the end of the series. After all, sometimes the best things in life comes when you least expect it.:vortex04:

Something a lot of people find it hard to do these days! Have a green.

Osiristi
February 22nd, 2018, 12:43 AM
I've found myself anticipating the next episodes since the last three came out. It is not a high-quality production but after the producers repeatedly saying they will handle the continuity with care, I'm expecting a good time nevertheless.

NickEast
February 22nd, 2018, 12:48 AM
I think some of the hate also comes from Origins being over-hyped as the "next big Stargate show" and it under-delivered. At least for me, the hype, the fact that I'm excluded from All-Access, and the nature of the show, created a lot of disappointment in one go. My criticism has since leveled off and have had time to think about it.

But I'm all for new Stargate, that's why I support Stargate Now. Especially since it aims to deliver new productions as sequels and not to reboot Stargate. And hopefully bring back some of the original crew. Right now, I'm still hopeful with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Platschu
February 22nd, 2018, 12:49 PM
Supergate : I believe the gate has got an intelligent program, so it makes a difference between objects and living travellers. There was a scene in SG-1 3x06 Point of View as well, where the disappering event horizont cut the the Jaffa weapons in half.

jerem
February 22nd, 2018, 01:19 PM
I think some of the hate also comes from Origins being over-hyped as the "next big Stargate show" and it under-delivered.

Nailed it! It sure was over-hyped compared to what it truly is. But again, can't really blame them (and us) for over-hyping if the goal of this series is to measure our interest to the franchise.

Supergate : I believe the gate has got an intelligent program, so it makes a difference between objects and living travellers. There was a scene in SG-1 3x06 Point of View as well, where the disappering event horizont cut the the Jaffa weapons in half.

We know the ability to differentiate organic matter from inorganic exists (see "Prototype", the galactic forwarding device does this). I like this explanation... At least until we find an example where the gate didn't act this way ;)

NickEast
February 22nd, 2018, 10:23 PM
I always believed that the Stargate makes a distinction between simple objects, organic matter, and "containers". The Puddle Jumper is a container that can hold a crew, so is the diving suit. But the cables and hoses are connected to the suit, so I think the gate understood that, since it was losing power, it could cut off once Ernest was through knowing the whole suit passed through. It could have seen the suit as one whole object, ignoring the cables, and sent him through intact. At that point, sending a living person through intact and cutting off inorganic material to do that would be appropriate.

Pragmatism
February 23rd, 2018, 07:39 AM
I have to agree with people like Kamin. The Stargate Origins three episodes so far, are a mess. There are massive continuity problems, from the requirements to using the energy required to active the gate, to the overall composition and acting which seem too campy and artificial. Remember how much energy was required to active the gates, it required a DHD and lots of levels of energy! Now you can you use a car battery. Ridiculous! The DHD is central to gate access.

As for the acting, well, other than for a few it was quite non-genuine. I found Gall too unbelievable. But that's fine, MGM is going low budget on this. You have to accept what there is.

But the real concern, is the Stargate canon. There are too many cheap-out reproductions in the Origins episodes so far, that are negatively changing the Stargate canon. How can we go from requiring a DHD and large amounts of energy to using a 1930's car battery and no computer? How can we go from a Catherine Langford losing her fiance in 1945, and stating that she was never allowed to be part of the Stargate Project, her finace Ernest Littlefield and her father were. You can view the episode entitled, The Torment of Tantalus, and see for your self that Catherine, was not involved, she said so.

This Stargate Origins is doing more harm than good. Acting is too unbelievable and the Stargate plot is turning everything on its head to what was in previous Stargate sagas. The inconsistency and contradictory storyline to the rest of the Stargate franchise, is really sad to see.

We have all seen what a mess Star Wars is turning into, well now, Stargate is also being deconstructed and re-imagined into an incongruous mess. Its all fine, for those people who've not seen the past Stargate works, but those of us who've seen it all, will find this new Stargate Origins a slap in the face to everything they've experienced and enjoyed with Stargate up till now. The show writer's obviously have not done their homework, and it is clear that there is no one doing Origins that has full knowledge of the Stargate canon. So if MGM can cheap-out like this, why on Earth should the fan base, that is leading the charge for a return of Stargate, should even bother with this crippled and self conflicting Stargate Origins?

I fear, with the decimation of canons in Star Wars, Star Trek and Aliens and so on, that Stargate too is being hijacked by a new breed of non science fiction types, that are only interested in making dollars at whatever expense it is to the Stargate legacy and its support base.

I hate saying this, I really do, but Stargate Origins is more about Stargate Suicide than a new beginning. This only exemplifies how bad things are really at MGM.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 23rd, 2018, 09:46 AM
I have to agree with people like Kamin. The Stargate Origins three episodes so far, are a mess. There are massive continuity problems, from the requirements to using the energy required to active the gate, to the overall composition and acting which seem too campy and artificial. Remember how much energy was required to active the gates, it required a DHD and lots of levels of energy! Now you can you use a car battery. Ridiculous! The DHD is central to gate access.

As for the acting, well, other than for a few it was quite non-genuine. I found Gall too unbelievable. But that's fine, MGM is going low budget on this. You have to accept what there is.

But the real concern, is the Stargate canon. There are too many cheap-out reproductions in the Origins episodes so far, that are negatively changing the Stargate canon. How can we go from requiring a DHD and large amounts of energy to using a 1930's car battery and no computer? How can we go from a Catherine Langford losing her fiance in 1945, and stating that she was never allowed to be part of the Stargate Project, her finace Ernest Littlefield and her father were. You can view the episode entitled, The Torment of Tantalus, and see for your self that Catherine, was not involved, she said so.

This Stargate Origins is doing more harm than good. Acting is too unbelievable and the Stargate plot is turning everything on its head to what was in previous Stargate sagas. The inconsistency and contradictory storyline to the rest of the Stargate franchise, is really sad to see.

We have all seen what a mess Star Wars is turning into, well now, Stargate is also being deconstructed and re-imagined into an incongruous mess. Its all fine, for those people who've not seen the past Stargate works, but those of us who've seen it all, will find this new Stargate Origins a slap in the face to everything they've experienced and enjoyed with Stargate up till now. The show writer's obviously have not done their homework, and it is clear that there is no one doing Origins that has full knowledge of the Stargate canon. So if MGM can cheap-out like this, why on Earth should the fan base, that is leading the charge for a return of Stargate, should even bother with this crippled and self conflicting Stargate Origins?

I fear, with the decimation of canons in Star Wars, Star Trek and Aliens and so on, that Stargate too is being hijacked by a new breed of non science fiction types, that are only interested in making dollars at whatever expense it is to the Stargate legacy and its support base.

I hate saying this, I really do, but Stargate Origins is more about Stargate Suicide than a new beginning. This only exemplifies how bad things are really at MGM.

It's been said 1000 times, but SG1 powered the gate with a car battery in "1969"

JRR
February 23rd, 2018, 02:38 PM
I can overlook the low budget sets and effects, but I've seen 5 year olds with legos act better and write better, as well. Better to let Stargate die.

Shiner833
February 24th, 2018, 06:30 AM
Fair point, though still, the Chief Occultist only brings 3 guys? Not fifty? Maybe at least ten? You'd think that a guy with an important sounding title would get a little bit more

Yea you’d think they would at least bring enough to explore brand new worlds and engage a known enemy like the Jaffa, Goa’uld, replicators, wraith etc... like the SG teams did! Wait...they only ever had 4 people on those teams for 10 seasons of SG1 and 5 of SGA. And half of those were archeologists and scientists. That always perplexed me but I looked passed it to enjoy the show. Let’s not harp on things like this because there is not rational, in canon, explanation. It’s a production decision on how to keep cost low and not overwhelm the viewer with dozens of characters that don’t matter.

Ian-S
February 24th, 2018, 12:21 PM
I can overlook the low budget sets and effects, but I've seen 5 year olds with legos act better and write better, as well. Better to let Stargate die.

Be careful what you wish for.

Platschu
February 24th, 2018, 12:28 PM
I am sure the fans will remake some episodes with the correct gate effects and sounds. We are a creative fandom. :D

jerem
February 24th, 2018, 10:55 PM
I am sure the fans will remake some episodes with the correct gate effects and sounds. We are a creative fandom. :D

A "SGO Remastered" series :P

Darren
February 25th, 2018, 12:56 PM
[...] In SGA, the scientist Peter Grodin said the gate only transmit matters in whole object and most importantly, any partially demolecularized (like the pilots in the jumper and the front end of the jumper) will not get transmitted until the entire object is fully demolecularized. So how could Ernest be transmitted to Heliopolis when the gate disconnected. Notice carefully that his diving suit has a breathing hose. After Ernest stepped through the gate, there is still the hose coming out of the event horizon, hence considered partial object. When the gate shuts down, the hose is severed and Ernest would still be in the memory buffer (something like Teal'c in "48 hours).

I'm also reminded here of the Goa'ulded Kawalsky at the end of "The Enemy Within." His head was sliced open because Teal'c held it in the event horizon when the gate shut down.

https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=13&pid=16235#top_display_media

In that case it's a person, not an object. But it's also a case when the S.G.C. forced a manual shutdown of the wormhole. It's likely that the Stargate itself would have stayed open otherwise, maybe even past the 38-minute window (cf. Eli's arm in "Air, Part 3" -- though I think that was more about Destiny's clock than the 38-minute window).

Langley_forum
February 25th, 2018, 07:06 PM
I can honestly get over the continuity issues, and would rather wait until I see the whole thing before I decide.

The overall cheapness and shoddiness of the production is what I find to be the main head-scratcher. MGM potentially have the #3 Sci-Fi franchise (Behind Star Wars and Star Trek) with Stargate, but in order to relaunch it they give us a cheap web-series. It's very disappointing. Would love for it to succeed, but I have to be honest.

Gatefan1976
February 25th, 2018, 09:23 PM
I can honestly get over the continuity issues, and would rather wait until I see the whole thing before I decide.

Like you, I can forgive -some- continuity errors, but there are some that simply do not work at all. We suspend disbelief to invest in these characters and stories, but to be asked to do it in a glaring way within an existing disbelief?
It defies belief :P

The overall cheapness and shoddiness of the production is what I find to be the main head-scratcher. MGM potentially have the #3 Sci-Fi franchise (Behind Star Wars and Star Trek) with Stargate, but in order to relaunch it they give us a cheap web-series. It's very disappointing. Would love for it to succeed, but I have to be honest.
Given the sheer fan backlash (warranted or not) against SW Ep 8, I would think MGM would, SHOULD be looking at that market with an eye of opportunity, not tentativeness. TNG series 1 was, sorta bad, but trek fans forgave it and it spawned much more, better trek. If Paramount tried the same approach, there would not be DS9, Voyager, Enterprise or Discovery. Dr Who would still sit in the dustbin of history.
Both of these properties now make money, and if that's what MGM wants...........

The market is saturated with cheap crap trying to jump on the geek wave, SGO just seems like a limited, half arsed attempt to do something with the property while riding that wave, rather than being a real attempt at reviving Stargate.

Platschu
February 26th, 2018, 12:19 AM
Probably I said I wouldn't mind the cheap look or the gate related problems, if the story would be okay. But the actors act really weird and the jokes are forced too much. This whole Origins story could have been presented with a more serious tone. SG is not a sitcom. But I should not even call it as sitcom, because this is rarther annoying then funny.

Do you remember the parody of "younger and edgier" version of SG-1 in 200? I belive that is what they have just made in Origins. Very young cast with a completly parodistic behave like they are on drugs or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_C_PefoE4o

But in spite of these I still found a few nice scenes there and it has definately reopened the fanboy in my heart to wish for more Stargate. So if that was the plan it has still worked, but SG:O won't be that series what I will watch again and again. Hopefully we needed this necessary bad to get a new "real" spinoff after years of waiting.

Lusitano
February 26th, 2018, 03:46 AM
After all the hype, this was a big disappointment. It is only a low budget, bad acting, insult to all the fans and the history of the franchise. After SG1, SGA and SGU this is what they give us?

Snakeyes
February 26th, 2018, 04:23 PM
This show should be retitled the show that shall not be named.

Just watched episode 4.
Since when do jaffa growl while fighting and what's with the sickle at the end of a staff weapon?

Supergater
February 26th, 2018, 11:31 PM
This show should be retitled the show that shall not be named.

Just watched episode 4.
Since when do jaffa growl while fighting and what's with the sickle at the end of a staff weapon?

She wasn't Jaffa, she was a minor Goa'uld called Serqet, Egyptian scorpion goddess. Sickle modification is a blade designed t resemble scorpion tail.

Platschu
February 27th, 2018, 12:57 AM
Stargate : Worlds also wanted to introduce different staff weapons :

http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images?page=6&file=SGW-Staves_Radiation.jpg
http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images?file=SGW-Staves_Sonic.jpg&page=6
http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images?page=7&file=Jaffa_staff_weapon-plasma.png

And even other Jaffa Guards:
https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/000/623/895/large/samuel-santos-khufu-concept05.jpg?1428957903
https://pre00.deviantart.net/2958/th/pre/f/2008/018/3/1/heavy_jaffa_horus_by_hyperdivine.jpg
http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images?page=2&file=Original_%281%29.jpg
http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images?page=3&file=FIL4314.JPG
http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images?file=FIL3231.JPG&page=3
http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images?page=8&file=Naga_Guard.jpg

Osiristi
February 27th, 2018, 01:35 AM
I definitely wouldn't consider Stargate: Worlds canon. But yes, according to the Mission Files, Serqet is a servant of Aset, and Aset made her the custom staff weapon.

Platschu
February 27th, 2018, 02:50 AM
I know it is not canon anymore, but actually BW and RCC was working on the story of that game. So they definately wanted to expand the SG universe what they couldn't afford on the tv. So I have no problem that Aset has got a special Jaffa weapon as it is new and unique.

jerem
February 27th, 2018, 06:28 AM
I know it is not canon anymore, but actually BW and RCC was working on the story of that game. So they definately wanted to expand the SG universe what they couldn't afford on the tv. So I have no problem that Aset has got a special Jaffa weapon as it is new and unique.

Yeah. No problem in introducing a new staff weapon. I just think it's not practical/functional for a weapon.

To vaguely quote Jack, it makes it even more a weapon of terror, designed to intimidate the enemy. Not a weapon to wage war with and kill the enemy.

sputnick
April 30th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Really disliked Origins characters. The obvious need to make Catherine look as "strong" and capable as possible while constantly belittling her male comrades with eye rolls, insults, etc between scenes was very unpleasant viewing. The character interactions felt like something you'd get from Buzzfeed.