PDA

View Full Version : MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Pages : [1] 2

GateWorld
July 20th, 2017, 06:56 PM
From GateWorld:

MGM Announces New Original Series
Stargate Origins

The long night is nearly over, as MGM has announced today that it plans to re-open the Stargate with a new original, live-action series.

Stargate Origins will help to launch the studio’s new digital platform and fan experience, suitably called "Stargate Command." The subscription service will be the show’s exclusive home, as well as providing fans with additional content, developed for streaming to any device — television, phone, tablet, etc.

First, the show itself: Stargate Origins is a 10-episode digital series, which will explore the untold backstory of Catherine Langford — who first appeared in the 1994 feature film and then in Stargate SG-1's first season. "Young Catherine embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness."

Read the Full Story > (https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/07/mgm-announces-new-original-series-stargate-origins/)

T1Cybernetic
July 21st, 2017, 05:33 AM
I for one can not wait ;)

This could go anywhere, From young characters on earth to the ancients and even the goa'uld could get a spot showing some story from their perspective? Who knows...

thekillman
July 21st, 2017, 07:26 AM
A digital for-pay platform for stargate only? Do they want this to fail? Because that's how you get this to fail.

revo1059
July 21st, 2017, 07:41 AM
Will it be in line with the SG1 universe or are they starting over?

jelgate
July 21st, 2017, 07:53 AM
It doesn't sound like a reboot. I think it will be in the same universe as SG1/SGA/SGU

maneth
July 21st, 2017, 07:59 AM
Much as I love Stargate, I don't think it has the sort of mass appeal that even Trek does. I doubt it'll be enough to attract lots of subscribers to MGM's streaming service. Not to mention international viewers... At least ST Discovery will be available on Netflix outside the US.

Shiner833
July 21st, 2017, 08:17 AM
I'd be most willing to pay if I could also watch all the other Stargate shows at will. It's difficult to think of paying a monthly subscription fee year round for a show that only last 10 weeks...not to mention they are only 10 minute episodes. It will have to be pretty inexpensive compared to other streaming services that provide hundreds or thousands of movies/shows for under $10.

ScifigirlSG
July 21st, 2017, 09:18 AM
At least it's something

VampyreWraith
July 21st, 2017, 10:56 AM
At least it's something

^ That's what I was thinking as well.

Az'ryel
July 21st, 2017, 11:12 AM
I am curious even if also a little hasitating to be excited about that announcement

Elite Anubis Guard
July 22nd, 2017, 02:01 AM
Much as I love Stargate, I don't think it has the sort of mass appeal that even Trek does. I doubt it'll be enough to attract lots of subscribers to MGM's streaming service. Not to mention international viewers... At least ST Discovery will be available on Netflix outside the US.

From the sounds of it, it's a Stargate specific service. And it's not entirely pay-for-access.

Psyku
July 22nd, 2017, 11:11 AM
There is not much room for a prequel i think, unless a forgotten adventure, where the asgard make you forget ( or the Furrlings)

This sounds more like a small fan service. Hopefully it will attract enough followers/exposure (Digital MGM platform may be unlikely. ) Subscription based doesn't really help also not unless there is more Content coming ofc.

Would love to see the whole SG1 team together around a table in an restaurant at the end of the show reminiscing.

I'm always surprised to find still lots of Stargate fans wherever i go. Especially with the TV shows. Hopefully the Webseries is successful enough to jumpstart a continuation of a new series.
Doesn't have to be Atlantis or Destiny or even specificly Sg1. ( new team ) New enemy if it is to be so.

Some Dynamics need to be changed, I don't mind if the Stargate program is now public to the world. Lucian Alliance probably have no in the mean time shocked the world with their presence. Lots of real time has passed so why not.

As long if the writing/characters and ofc the Humour is still there it will be atleast equally succeful as Sg1/SgA.

thekillman
July 22nd, 2017, 11:16 AM
Some Dynamics need to be changed, I don't mind if the Stargate program is now public to the world. Lucian Alliance probably have no in the mean time shocked the world with their presence. Lots of real time has passed so why not.

If it gets (truly) revived, it will almost certainly be a reboot or reimagination. It's simply impossible to get new viewers if they have to watch 17 seasons of Stargate plus 3 movies to have some idea of what's going on.

We don't know much about Origins, for all we know it could be a backdoor pilot to a reboot.

Psyku
July 22nd, 2017, 11:36 AM
If it gets (truly) revived, it will almost certainly be a reboot or reimagination. It's simply impossible to get new viewers if they have to watch 17 seasons of Stargate plus 3 movies to have some idea of what's going on.

We don't know much about Origins, for all we know it could be a backdoor pilot to a reboot.

Dunno not sure if those shows are on Netflix. But Amazon Prime has those them and there might be other streaming services. People do like to binge, also recently met people who discovered Sg1 just recently and went through it like it was nothing.
The show holds up really well. Maybe that some pop culture references are hazy today, but that's about it. Simpsons is still on TV

And SG1 also had amazing episodes of what has happened before (s01e20 Politics for example). Something that also could include that in a new show.

But sure a Reboot/Imagination is also possible, but think there lies a risk there because lots of reboots have failed through out the years. There is still an existing and very large fan base of the shows. And bringing that back to the fold is not as hard. Starting a new one is way harder. One of the reasons the Movie Trilogy reboot didn't go through is because Id4 2 didn't meet the expectations. May or may not have been a large factor but has certainly played a part and that was a semi reboot.

Shiner833
July 22nd, 2017, 12:15 PM
I was able to watch Atlantis and Universe just fine without ever watching SG1. There were a handful of references I didn't understand but they were fine all by themselves. A new series , set after SG1/SGA/SGU, could do fine as long as they give a little backstory of the gate program in general in the first few episodes it would be fine. Which this new Origins could be the buildup to. As long as its relatively successful.

GATEGOD
July 22nd, 2017, 12:20 PM
While a new tv series would've been nice, this is a step in the right direction to open up that possibility in the future. So it's something, which is better than nothing.

lmoroney
July 22nd, 2017, 12:26 PM
The Good:
It's a new live action show.

The Bad:
It's a prequel.
It's not the original production company or any of the writers.
It's 10 webisodes.
It's (allegedly) behind a paywall.

So, on balance that's a whole lot of hmmmm from me, feeling that it's oversold.

But I'm sure I'll subscribe, I'm sure I'll watch, I'm sure I'll vouch for its success any way I can (even though I have no obligation to, and if any MGM folks are reading, I would think the opposite is true, yes?) including with my wallet.

But there's only so many times one can go to that well.

Morbo
July 23rd, 2017, 05:33 AM
I don't get why any studio or company thinks putting content behind another paywall or streaming app that isn't already Netflix or prime thinks it's going to succeed. Sure you'll get a handful of users but the majority won't A) know it even exists and B) bother to sign up for another service to keep track of and shell out money for.
It's why the new Star Trek will ultimately fail as well, despite the fanfare they're booming around it already.

Platschu
July 23rd, 2017, 11:31 AM
I believe it would have been better to announce the "Origins" as new SG related tv movie or a thrid DVD movie. Because it sounds cool as a new "series", but even if I am a hardcore SG fan, it is only a webseries. I am a bit worried that people will expect a high quality product and then we will be disappointed. The SG:U comic has got a terrible quality as well, so I don't know what the MGM thought with that product. Back to the SG:O. If the Stargate : Origins would be counted as a new spinoff then we need new characters, new villains, new technologies etc. Simply 10x10 minutes is not enough to establish such things. Even the playtime will be much shorter if we deduct the main theme and the end theme. So anyway I am happy that we see some development on the SG franchisem, but I would have been much happier with a 90 minutes long new DVD movie or a mini-series which could be the first step to start a new SG spinoff series.

thekillman
July 23rd, 2017, 11:57 AM
Dunno not sure if those shows are on Netflix. But Amazon Prime has those them and there might be other streaming services. People do like to binge, also recently met people who discovered Sg1 just recently and went through it like it was nothing.
The show holds up really well. Maybe that some pop culture references are hazy today, but that's about it. Simpsons is still on TV
That wasn't my point. my point is, that's a few hundred hours (300+ episodes at 45 mins per episode, give or take) of TV just to understand what's going on with the series. It's simply crazy. The average viewer is not going to do that. I don't do that.

But sure a Reboot/Imagination is also possible, but think there lies a risk there because lots of reboots have failed through out the years. There is still an existing and very large fan base of the shows. And bringing that back to the fold is not as hard
The problem with many reboots has simply been that they made rushed crap nobody asked for. Independence day was sort of fun, but it wasn't a terribly exciting or unique movie. Fantastic Four was a rushed hell. DC's attempts have all been hampered by interference and inconsistent storywriting.

There is nothing wrong with a reboot in itself, provided it is done well. Hell, Marvel got people excited for Guardians of the Galaxy, a bunch of comic book nobodies nobody heard of. Or Ant Man, another completely unknown guy. I don't see why people wouldn't get excited for Stargate again.

One of the reasons the Movie Trilogy reboot didn't go through is because Id4 2 didn't meet the expectations. May or may not have been a large factor but has certainly played a part and that was a semi reboot.
It seems that MGM gave up their confidence in Emmerich/Devlin after that, yea.

jamesgilfoyle
July 24th, 2017, 05:48 AM
Really exciting. Not the news I would have wanted but we have seen other shows like Sanctuary roll out into full TV after webisodes. Fingers crossed this is just the start!

Given the activity with the recent comics, the podcast, this announcement... I'm intrigued as to what is next!

lmoroney
July 26th, 2017, 06:52 PM
but we have seen other shows like Sanctuary roll out into full TV after webisodes.

That's a really good point. Getting more optimistic by the minute :)

Original Man
July 28th, 2017, 04:29 AM
While i am going to take a look see and then decide if i'm going to watch, i am extremely sceptical. The original series(SG-1) gives them complete freedom to do whatever they want to do, and yet they pick a 'prequel'.
I'm not sure if they're just trying to milk this cow dry, but if it fails there will be nothing left of it. It looks like they are taking a huge risk to piss off most of the Stargate fans just because of their 'but muuum i wanna finish what i started' attitude. It can destroy everything SG-1 and the later shows built with a one 10 minute episode, and make the fans hate their guts for it. On a side note, the cast of SG-1 and Atlantis(even Universe) aren't getting any younger, so there won't be any time to fix their mess even if the conditions for it were perfect and all of the original cast came back for one last run(and to end Stargate the way it deserves to end).
I honestly hope they don't destroy everything, but the chance that it will happen is so big i am kinda sad in advance.

Falcon Horus
July 28th, 2017, 04:01 PM
...with a one 10 minute episode...

For the record, it's not one 10-minute episode, it's ten 10-minute episodes (or thereabouts). :p

Original Man
July 28th, 2017, 11:02 PM
Yeah, i know. I meant just one of those can be so bad to piss half of the fans off right away.

CompanionCube
July 29th, 2017, 12:01 AM
As an Internation fan, I'm double-bummed I can't watch it right away. However as someone who was completely resigned to a Stargate drought for the next 10 years, this news definitely came unexpected and obviously I'm happy to hear the franchise is not completely forgotten.

However, going by the description I noticed it said it's a prequel that's in the same canon as the shows which has me worried. Unless they're going for more of a slice of life drama with connections to the Stargate program, I don't see how they're going to fit Catherine into a Stargate adventure narrative since the first time she actually stepped through the thing was 1997.

Falcon Horus
July 29th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Yeah, i know. I meant just one of those can be so bad to piss half of the fans off right away.

Considering half of the fandom can't watch it anyway, the other half better not get dissappointed. The faith of Stargate literally, once again, rests in the hands of the American fans.

jelgate
July 29th, 2017, 12:47 PM
I originally read that as that half the fandom can't agree

Falcon Horus
July 29th, 2017, 01:41 PM
I originally read that as that half the fandom can't agree

LOL, also true though. :p

Who Knows
July 29th, 2017, 06:39 PM
I enjoyed X-men, 1, 2 & 3. But then it got very confusing with all the spinoff/prequil/character specific movies that came out.
Old Xavier & old Magnito walk together to interview Jean, but before that, in X-men First Class, young Xavier is shot by young Magnito & can't walk anymore.
They completely ruined the whole thing.
In SG1 Catherine's BF/lover/fiance went through the gate, never to be seen again, Catherine didn't. Now the speculation is that in this new spinoff/prequil Catherine went through the gate, saved the world & came back, but her BF/etc. couldn't?
Backstories &/or prequils need to keep to the canon, not change it to suit the new writers.

That's just my opinion.

thekillman
July 29th, 2017, 11:52 PM
Backstories &/or prequils need to keep to the canon, not change it to suit the new writers.

That's just my opinion.

The thing is, there isn't much backstory/prequels to be had. We know what happened after the Gate was found, we know about every major travel through it.

To me, Origins looks like a stealth backdoor pilot. If Origins works, we'll likely see an announcement for a new show based upon this revised canon.

Falcon Horus
July 30th, 2017, 04:02 AM
To me, Origins looks like a stealth backdoor pilot. If Origins works, we'll likely see an announcement for a new show based upon this revised canon.

So basically throw out the TV-canon... oh yeah, that'll go down lovely. :p

thekillman
July 30th, 2017, 06:10 AM
So basically throw out the TV-canon... oh yeah, that'll go down lovely. :p

Continuing the old canon is a pipe dream that'll never happen. 17 seasons is too much to ask for new viewers. Plus, stuff like Atlantis on earth and the Asgard Core have permanently ruined the series' future anyway.

NickEast
July 30th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Continuing the old canon is a pipe dream that'll never happen. 17 seasons is too much to ask for new viewers. Plus, stuff like Atlantis on earth and the Asgard Core have permanently ruined the series' future anyway.

Before I got into Stargate, I watched Star Trek Voyager on TV (in the late nineties). I loved that show, until Stargate of course. Yet, it was only until about a few months ago that I got into Star Trek TOS, and now TNG on Netflix. I didn't much care for whatever came before until now.

Why can't some writer continue with the "real" canon (seriously, why call it "old")? Others can do it; I mean, novels, and now the comics, keep on coming. Fans keep making their own stories, and some seem to be pretty reasonable. Though not officially canon, Atlantis was intended to go back anyway. And what's wrong with the Asgard core? The only thing that ruins the future of any TV show, be it Stargate, Star Trek or Star Wars is not this stuff, it's the lack of imagination. Sure, not everyone will accept every idea, but life is full of compromises. And, well, you can't really please everyone all of the time.

Nevertheless, prequels shouldn't contradict existing canon. Though MGM promised it adds to the franchise, suggesting it is not a reboot or something, I agree that certain signs say otherwise. I will just look and see.

thekillman
July 30th, 2017, 10:35 AM
And what's wrong with the Asgard core?

Because almost any plot point can be solved by asking the Core a solution and draw upon more than 100 000 years of asgard civilization to fix ANYTHING. there's absolutely no reason Earth can't modernize literally every aspect of existence simply by asking the Core to fix every problem on earth. Plus, because of the escalation of enemies, there is no enemy we can fight reasonably anymore. SG1 defeated literal gods. The only way to fix it is to either retcon or to come up with lame explanations, like everyone magically becoming immune to those weapons.

NickEast
July 30th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Because almost any plot point can be solved by asking the Core a solution and draw upon more than 100 000 years of asgard civilization to fix ANYTHING. there's absolutely no reason Earth can't modernize literally every aspect of existence simply by asking the Core to fix every problem on earth. Plus, because of the escalation of enemies, there is no enemy we can fight reasonably anymore. SG1 defeated literal gods. The only way to fix it is to either retcon or to come up with lame explanations, like everyone magically becoming immune to those weapons.

We don't know if the core can do that. Not directly. Because the Wraith still aren't defeated. We still can't make our own Stargates. Even I can easily think up a few ideas of why the Core can't solve anything. In fact, I already did with some of my fan fiction. In terms of enemies, we barely did anything. It was the Asgard that gave us the beam weapons (which were only able to destroy Ori ships as long as the Core was aboard the ship), it was Merlin that gave us the Sangraal, it was the Ancients' Ark of Truth that allowed us to defeat the Ori followers, and it took Morgan le Fay to fight Adria and "keep her busy" for all eternity. All we did was use whatever we got, and there are a number of reasons why we can't keep using it. The beam weapons on the other ships are nowhere near as powerful as those on the Odyssey, with the Core connected, as they couldn't even scratch the ZPM-powered hive ship.

Elite Anubis Guard
July 30th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Considering half of the fandom can't watch it anyway, the other half better not get dissappointed. The faith of Stargate literally, once again, rests in the hands of the American fans.

Can you point me to where that was said?

Falcon Horus
July 30th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Can you point me to where that was said?

In just about every article out there, written after SDCC.

From the article on GW (https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/07/mgm-announces-new-original-series-stargate-origins/):

"Stargate Origins will help to launch the studio’s new digital platform and fan experience, suitably called “Stargate Command.” The subscription service will be the show’s exclusive home, as well as providing fans with additional content, developed for streaming to any device — television, phone, tablet, etc.

[...]

Stargate Command will have both free elements and paid content for subscribers. The studio also hopes to make the platform available to the fan community worldwide, though international plans are still being hammered out. Expect updates on both of these fronts soon."

From The Verge article "Stargate is coming back as a digital-only prequel series (https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/20/16007184/stargate-origins-sg-1-mgm-sdcc-2017)"

"Stargate Origins will launch in 2017 on MGM’s new digital platform

Each episode of Origins will run 10 minutes in length, with the first season of 10 episodes available exclusively on a new website called Stargate Command. According to MGM’s announcement, Command will also be an official destination for all things Stargate, including a “variety of Stargate assets and content from the franchise’s nearly 25-year history.”"

By which I would say, Origins is available through the digital platform, thus behind a pay-wall non-residents cannot access, while the rest of the Stargate content might be -- and one should stress the "might be" -- freely available.

The Terms of Use and Private Policy available on the Stargate Command website speak of content the likes of forums and the possibility to add content by users, thus I foresee a way to interact with fans around the globe much like we are doing now on Gateworld (although confined within the limitations of a forum -- beyond uploading of images GW is limited in as far as digital media goes).

From the TV Line article "Stargate Origins Series to Launch New MGM Digital Platform (http://tvline.com/2017/07/20/stargate-origins-digital-series-catherine-langford/)":

"MGM will explore Stargate Origins, as a means of launching its dedicated digital platform and fan experience, called Stargate Command.

MGM’s first premium digital series will follow a young Catherine Langford (played on SG-1 by Elizabeth Hoffman, pictured) as she embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness. This 10-episode event series, produced by MGM’s Digital Group and entertainment studio New Form, will be directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan and written by Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry."

From Vox.com -- "Stargate is returning with a prequel series about beloved archaeologist Catherine Langford (https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/7/20/16005620/stargate-origins-new-web-series-catherine-langford)"

"The 10-episode Stargate Origins will air on a dedicated new streaming service, Stargate Command.

Mercedes Bryce Morgan will direct Stargate Origins, with writing from Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry. Production is scheduled to begin in August. The series will stream on the franchise’s new subscription-based digital platform, which launches later this fall."

Edit

I tried looking for any press releases on the new digital platform MGM's starting up, but there's only the article about Sam Tole's hiring (their digital media wizzkid). But then I found another article on Multichannel News -- MGM Slates 'Stargate Origins' Digital Series (http://www.multichannel.com/news/programming/mgm-slates-stargate-origins-digital-series/414125)

"MGM released a teaser trailer for the new show and said the new digital platform will have a mix of paid and free content.

[...]

With the increasing popularity of digitally native content that can be streamed to any device, MGM is committed to the production of premium linear mid-form content and are proud to launch with Stargate Origins."

Elite Anubis Guard
July 31st, 2017, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the quotes. Based on them, I reckon it's a bit premature to say it'll only be available in the States. it quite clearly says they're working on being able to get Origins out there internationally.

CompanionCube
July 31st, 2017, 12:31 AM

This is why only SGU could still work. It retains the tension because it's in a frontier far away for any of that technology to conveniently fix everything. Also, is it just me or did the whole "Lucian Alliance planning to attack Earth" thing fell completely flat? Compare that to the threat the Goa'uld posed to Earth when it had near zero hope of fighting against except for the element of surprise using the Stargate to a loose alliance of criminals with hijacked motherships going up against Earth with its own fleet of space ships, an Ancient City and access to the Asgard Core?

Point is, apart from SGU, Stargate in general couldn't continue because basically the good guys became too powerful...

atlantean_stanley
July 31st, 2017, 04:05 AM
Really exciting. Not the news I would have wanted but we have seen other shows like Sanctuary roll out into full TV after webisodes...

I agree. I loved Sanctuary as a whole! Not just because Amanda Tapping was in it, but it was a refreshing sight to see.

Why did it ruin the future of SGA & SG1, respectively? It opens up the possibilities to a new direction the story might take us if ever they try to revitalize the three series in one, new TV series, which they can probably name "Stargate: Homeworld" or "Stargate Command".

I believe the comic series are canon to SGA & SGU.

That makes the Asgard Core second in line to the Ancient Repository of Knowledge. And yes, they can use it to dispose of any problem we have on Earth. It would also be of big help if they share the Asgard Core's information to all the Asgard Protected Planets. :thor::thor:

We don't know if the core can do that. Not directly. Because the Wraith still aren't defeated. We still can't make our own Stargates. Even I can easily think up a few ideas of why the Core can't solve anything. In fact, I already did with some of my fan fiction. In terms of enemies, we barely did anything. It was the Asgard that gave us the beam weapons (which were only able to destroy Ori ships as long as the Core was aboard the ship), it was Merlin that gave us the Sangraal, it was the Ancients' Ark of Truth that allowed us to defeat the Ori followers, and it took Morgan le Fay to fight Adria and "keep her busy" for all eternity. All we did was use whatever we got, and there are a number of reasons why we can't keep using it. The beam weapons on the other ships are nowhere near as powerful as those on the Odyssey, with the Core connected, as they couldn't even scratch the ZPM-powered hive ship.

It took 8 seasons to somehow defeat the Goa'uld in SG1. And SGA elaborated that there are over 60 Wraith hives in the galaxy 10,000 after the Ancients left Atlantis. So it would definitely take time for the Atlantis Expedition to eliminate the threat that is the Wraith. Add to that the fact that they had to deal with the Asurans. If they can only replicate the Dakara Superweapon and somehow manage to reconstruct it in the Pegasus, tune it to Wraith energy signature, and effectively destroy anything of Wraith construction: all their ships, and all existing Wraith.

Uhm, the only advantage that the Odyssey has is its ZPM and the Asgard Core, nothing more. Remember that even if the Odyssey is the frontline ship of Homeworld Command, it its still considered of the Daedalus-class. It would not be prudent to assume that the Asgard beams aboard the Odyssey is superior to those on the Daedalus/Apollo/Sun Tzu/Hammond. Power supply, probably. But the yield these weapons deal onto enemy ships are and will be the same.

Merlin and Morgan saw the Ori for what they were. It was our resourcefulness that gave us the advances in attaining the Sangraal and the Ark, through their help. :docianime09:

This is why only SGU could still work. It retains the tension because it's in a frontier far away for any of that technology to conveniently fix everything. Also, is it just me or did the whole "Lucian Alliance planning to attack Earth" thing fell completely flat? Compare that to the threat the Goa'uld posed to Earth when it had near zero hope of fighting against except for the element of surprise using the Stargate to a loose alliance of criminals with hijacked motherships going up against Earth with its own fleet of space ships, an Ancient City and access to the Asgard Core?

Point is, apart from SGU, Stargate in general couldn't continue because basically the good guys became too powerful...

YES! The ending for SGU was a cliffhanger. But I think the comic series will continue on that path, to answer what happened to Eli and the crew of the Destiny.

It would be exciting to see the whole "Lucian Alliance will attack Earth" Or "the Goa'uld retaliating as revenge for their fall" story arc, because it may well be one of the reasons why the Stargate Program will go public.

Falcon Horus
July 31st, 2017, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the quotes. Based on them, I reckon it's a bit premature to say it'll only be available in the States. it quite clearly says they're working on being able to get Origins out there internationally.

You're welcome.

At the time of its airing it will only be available to US-citizens who subscribe to the platform. In order to make it available to other audiences, MGM has to make deals with other digital platforms outside of the US (I doubt they'll expand to other platforms in the US which would defeat the purpose of having their own) and those deals will mostly be about the licensing fee to broadcast/stream this 100 minute feature.

If you're interested in what that might entail, here's an article about How Netflix Pays For Movie and TV Show Licensing (http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/062515/how-netflix-pays-movie-and-tv-show-licensing.asp):

"The Cost of Doing Business

Securing licensing agreements with TV networks, filmmakers, and other content owners is arguably the greatest expense for Netflix. For example, the company spent nearly $200 million in 2011 for access to Disney films and TV programming for a one-year period. The full series of "Lost" cost the company $45 million, "Scrubs" came in at $26 million and "Desperate Housewives" totaled $12 million for a single year. The growth of Internet-based television has made it more difficult to purchase licensing inexpensively, and the company's current content licensing budget reflects this truth. In a statement to shareholders in early 2015, Netflix revealed that its budget for obtaining new licensing deals and renewing expiring arrangements for exclusive and non-exclusive content would exceed $6 billion through 2018. "

And to give you some perspective on what it means to license exclusive content:

Netflix Acquires Second Window SVOD Rights to COLONY, Which Premieres on USA Network January 14 (https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-licenses-global-streaming-rights-for-colony-from-legendary-television-and-universal-cable-productions-8) (an article from 2015)

"Netflix will stream COLONY about a year after its linear broadcast on USA in the U.S., on Bell Media's Bravo in Canada, and after its linear broadcast in other territories worldwide."

Stargate38
August 1st, 2017, 12:23 PM
Will it ever be released on DVD? I hope so, because I would love to have it in my collection. First, I have limited data on my ISP (50 GB/month). Second, I don't want to pay a monthly fee for it on top of what I already pay for my satellite Internet, TV, etc.

Falcon Horus
August 1st, 2017, 02:38 PM
Will it ever be released on DVD?

Probably as a 100-minute film.
I would say that's probable. Or perhaps purchased through iTunes or something. I don't know.

vaderag
August 10th, 2017, 06:59 AM
Cannot wait - i was so sure that there would be no more Stargate - so happy there is :)

Falcon Horus
August 12th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Cannot wait - i was so sure that there would be no more Stargate - so happy there is :)

You better start saving up for that digital channel then. ;)

Aang
August 25th, 2017, 11:33 PM

Beg to differ on the 17 seasons. Dr Who has 26 seasons prior to the 2005 continuation and manages to stick to the canon of Classic Who in all the new seasons pretty damn well while still allowing new fans to start the 2005 series without seeing classic Who first. *shrugs*

And no, Atlantis on Earth has not ruined the future of the series. The city could be sent back to Pegasus post-season 5. Or get lost on the way and land them in another galaxy altogether. There are dozens of ways the old canon could be continued with new twists.

Cadmius
August 28th, 2017, 07:31 PM
So who are the writers? I tried searching Google but couldn't find any names.

Falcon Horus
August 29th, 2017, 01:29 AM
So who are the writers? I tried searching Google but couldn't find any names.

They're mentioned in the article on the GW main page. ;)

Two unknown men, and the director is a woman who's done plenty of short films and webseries for the company who's creating this webserie.

I vaguely remember Arend(BE) posting their names somewhere so I looked them up for you:

Justin Michael Terry
Mark Ilvedson

Mercedes Bryce Morgan

thekillman
August 30th, 2017, 01:40 AM
Beg to differ on the 17 seasons. Dr Who has 26 seasons prior to the 2005 continuation and manages to stick to the canon of Classic Who in all the new seasons pretty damn well while still allowing new fans to start the 2005 series without seeing classic Who first. *shrugs*

Seems to be more like the exception.

Falcon Horus
August 30th, 2017, 04:28 AM
Seems to be more like the exception.

Doctor Who is likely a very big exception -- I doubt anything can really compare to it.

NickEast
August 30th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Doctor Who is likely a very big exception -- I doubt anything can really compare to it.

Define "compare". There isn't really any show that did something like it. Technically, Star Wars, Trek and Galactica did it, but those were more-or-less entire reboots.

Doesn't mean it compares to Stargate in the slightest. Also doesn't mean a fourth show would fail. Atlantis and Universe both could be watched fine without having watched anything that came before. I never watched the original film until long after I bought the series DVDs and began from the beginning. Many here began watching Atlantis, and some even Universe, before having watched what came before.

It also depends on the person. Some can jump in and rarely care about continuity, others, like me, have to watch from the beginning, and in order, to get the most out of it. Hence why I seriously struggle with Star Wars "Legends" and Marvel comics. Hell, I even play really old video games just to be able to play the modern sequels. Granted, Doctor Who is an exception then, though I did begin watching some of the older episodes and plan on watching the rest "some time in the future".

Falcon Horus
August 30th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Compare as in what Doctor Who has done over the years is not something any other show or film franchise will ever be able to do.

I started on Nine and thought it was stupid and childish. Then caught the back end of one of the oldest Who-stories. Tried again with Nine -- made it through Nine and fell in love with 10. Dropped it again with 11 but fell in love with him anyway -- or more accurately fell in love with Clara. Dropped 12 and will be back for 13, cause gonna watch 12 anyway.

And in between 11 and 12, I watched every episode of Doctor Who (even the ones that are lost and where only sound is saved).

Cadmius
August 30th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Hey, thanks a lot for that info. I really appreciate you taking the time!

They're mentioned in the article on the GW main page. ;)

Two unknown men, and the director is a woman who's done plenty of short films and webseries for the company who's creating this webserie.

I vaguely remember Arend(BE) posting their names somewhere so I looked them up for you:

Justin Michael Terry
Mark Ilvedson

Mercedes Bryce Morgan

Falcon Horus
August 31st, 2017, 01:15 AM
Hey, thanks a lot for that info. I really appreciate you taking the time!

No problem. :)
Always happy to help out.

lightsyder
August 31st, 2017, 11:05 AM
Got an email with a link to sign up for the pay site...

Looks to be a one time cost of $20. Not sure when it goes live

ScifigirlSG
August 31st, 2017, 11:51 AM
Received the email to get all access...

edit: Ordered my $20 all access pass and free t-shirt. The t-shirt alone is worth more than $20.

Shiner833
August 31st, 2017, 12:12 PM
Also just joined All-Access otherwise known as the "terrible pay wall of Doom!" A one time payment of $20 US Dollars for all previous Stargate shows and movies plus a free Origins T-Shirt. However, subscription is valid through May 15th, 2018. Don't know what happens after that. Also states All-Access members will be "first" to see Origins which I took to mean you can still watch for free just later than the paying customers. Not a bad deal at all! Site goes live Sept. 20th.

ScifigirlSG
August 31st, 2017, 12:16 PM
...and cheaper than Amazon Prime if it was offered

glennh73
August 31st, 2017, 12:29 PM
Also just joined All-Access otherwise known as the "terrible pay wall of Doom!" A one time payment of $20 US Dollars for all previous Stargate shows and movies plus a free Origins T-Shirt. However, subscription is valid through May 15th, 2018. Don't know what happens after that. Also states All-Access members will be "first" to see Origins which I took to mean you can still watch for free just later than the paying customers. Not a bad deal at all! Site goes live Sept. 20th.

I just joined the All-Access too and hey if this $20 can lead to more Stargate down the line even after this mini movie then im all for it.

Also im thinking that MGM might just combine all of their tv/movie property into one site after May of next year. I mean i cant see them thinking this Stargate Command is a good idea long term if there is little to no new content.

I mean its only about what $2.5 dollars a month over the 8 months which isnt bad to me for all access to stargate any time i want to watch (AD FREE FU HULU).

I just hope im able to watch this thru my smart tv. Who wants to watch thru computer or phone when we can watch it on the big screen.

Just hope the stream is very good quality /dvd like for SG-1 and HD for the Atlantis and Universe.

Still odd they didnt include the cartoon?

Falcon Horus
August 31st, 2017, 02:30 PM
I'm guessing, it'll be like Netflix. The first time you sign up, it's 7 euro a month (I think), but then comes the catch. Automatic renewal and all of a sudden you're paying 10 euro a month instead.

So, 20 dollars -- possibly this could mean only the Stargate library. Valid until May 2018. If you still want access after that, you'll have to renew and possible pay more since you'll have access to the entire MGM library. There's no business model that grants you access to MGM's entire library for only 20 dollar a year.

There's a catch coming -- there's always a catch.

Especially since there are only 10 episodes of 10 minutes which do not last until May 2018, unless they only give you 1 frame at the time. :p

US + 5 countries are the only ones able to access the content, so the rest of the "fans" are once again royally screwed. At least, there will be a download floating about soon enough.

Falcon Horus
August 31st, 2017, 02:45 PM
Guess what also helps, clicking the link to Press on the COmmand site:

Planets Align: Stargate Command All Access Opens For Pre-Sale Ahead Of September 20th Launch For The 20th Anniversary of Stargate SG1-1 (https://stargatecommand.co/pages/press/)

Stargate Command will offer two forms of membership: a free version and an All Access paid membership. Fans will be able to download the Stargate Command app when the platform launches on September 20th. All Stargate Command members will receive a weekly newsletter featuring exclusive updates on the Stargate universe from experts and influencers and a wealth of interactive content through which the Stargate community can engage, including: fan forums, polls, quizzes and more. In addition to posting and commenting on the forums, members can create their own profiles and rise through the ranks at Stargate Command, all the way to the coveted “Ascension” level.

And where does that leave Gateworld.net?
This is the bloody fan forum -- always has been.

In addition to the aformentioned content, Stargate Command All Access members will receive an incredible lineup of insider content and unprecedented access to the production of Stargate Origins, from development and pre-production through the show’s premiere. All Access members will also have the exclusive opportunity to stream each 10-minute episode of Stargate Origins, as well as enjoy the largest collection of Stargate content ever released in one place including Stargate SG-1, Stargate: Universe, Stargate: Atlantis, STARGATE (the motion picture), STARGATE: THE ARK OF TRUTH, STARGATE: CONTINUUM and video extras, with all material offered in High Definition (subject to availability). Additional benefits include a virtual seat in the writers’ room at various points in the scripting process, and an authentic, limited-edition digital version of the Stargate Origins pilot shooting script. The cost of All Access is a one-time fee of $20.00, which grants members access from the launch of Stargate Command through mid-May of 2018.

Both paid and unpaid Stargate Command members will also get a sneak peek at Stargate Origins, including a weekly window into the show’s production and access to the first two episodes when the series premieres. Fans who purchase the All Access membership during the pre-sale period will receive an exclusive Stargate Origins limited edition T-shirt.

Stargate Command will officially launch on iOS, Android, and online in the U.S. on September 20th All Access is now available for pre-sale in the U.S. at: stargatecommand.co. Stargate Command will be available worldwide through the iTunes Store and Google Play. Internationally, All Access will be available for purchase through app stores in the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, Australia and New Zealand.

Everyone can install the app, but all access is only available for aforementioned countries.

Cadmius
August 31st, 2017, 06:54 PM
Sadly, yet not surprisingly, I'm guessing MGM doesn't care about Gateworld. Perhaps in their minds the Stargate franchise has been allowed to run wild all these years and this is their way of trying to grab the horse by the reins.

Darren
August 31st, 2017, 09:50 PM
And where does that leave Gateworld.net?
This is the bloody fan forum -- always has been.

I'm 1,000% behind the new "Stargate Command" project, but I really appreciate this sentiment. GW has been here for nearly 18 years, through the rise and fall of multiple official Stargate sites. And we've built a home for thousands of fans around the world, with a depth of content (if I may say so) unparalleled by any site in our category.

That said, I don't at all begrudge the studio for getting their ducks in a row and finally doing something awesome online with all their Stargate material. But there will always be things they can't (or won't) do, always room for a fan site like ours to co-exist and maintain our own niche.

And MGM has been incredibly supportive of GateWorld over the years, and now with the impending launch of Stargate Command. I hope that what proves to be true is that there is plenty of space online -- and in the hearts of Stargate fans! -- for both unofficial and official communities and content.

But I will defend GateWorld against language that suggests that there was some "need" for a Stargate community, news, and content that didn't exist on the Internet.

Elite Anubis Guard
September 1st, 2017, 12:16 AM
Official forums are never as good as fan-run ones IMHO. They receive less care and proper moderation. I'll still continue to come here first for my news and etc. And $20 is nothing. I'm happy to throw-out a one-time payment for the content.

It's a little disappointing that Origins is behind that paywall, though. I know there's people out there who will be vehemently against that kind of restriction and I don't think it'll work great to bring mass appeal to the series or really revitalise the interest in the franchise.

I wish that t-shirt was an international deal, though. :( Oh, well.

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2017, 12:20 AM
FYI -- Gateworld is my Stargate home! And will always be my (dysfunctional) Stargate family!

There, I said it. :D

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2017, 12:24 AM
It's a little disappointing that Origins is behind that paywall, though. I know there's people out there who will be vehemently against that kind of restriction and I don't think it'll work great to bring mass appeal to the series or really revitalise the interest in the franchise.

But we already knew that would be behind a pay-wall, so that's no surprise.

I'm especially disappointed that there's other content they want to stick behind a pay-wall inaccessible to international fans (not citizens of the 5 countries that do have access). They are literally creating an elite group and we all know that the "true fan" is a can of worms nobody wants to open again.

There's a good bet, that it will probably also get you perks in the "free sections" which will only create an even bigger schasm between the haves and the have-nots.

Platschu
September 1st, 2017, 12:47 PM
This is a scandal that MGM believes the fans of 6 countries can maintain the new SG:C website and even the Stargate : Origins while everyone else can't access it. Disgusting.

Nozomi
September 1st, 2017, 01:31 PM
Which are the 5 another countries that can access the content? I know it is not mine, of course, but where can we see that info?

Why they didn't asked about our region when we suscribe to stargate command newsletter? I don't like having notifications that i can access Stargate when i can't.

So disappointing...

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2017, 03:14 PM
Which are the 5 another countries that can access the content? I know it is not mine, of course, but where can we see that info?

Why they didn't asked about our region when we suscribe to stargate command newsletter? I don't like having notifications that i can access Stargate when i can't.

So disappointing...

It's all on the Stargatecommand webpage.

The 5 countries are the United States (obviously), the UK, Australia & New Zealand, Canada and Germany. They have access to the paid content (the "exclusive" Origins T-shirt is US only).

You will still have access to the first 20 minutes which will be offered for free, the other 80 disappear behind the pay-wall.

You will also have access to the app which you can download from the app-stores. However, you will still be locked out of the extras which are exclusive members-only.

You will also have access the forums, quizzes and polls. And you can work your way up to "Ascended" level, whatever that may be. I have a feeling that as a paid member you'll be there quicker than when you're on a free account.

Edit:

Also not too unimportant for those who believe they will only have to pay that 20 dollar once:

What is the Stargate Command All-Access Pass?

All-Access is the membership tier of Stargate Command, offering fans ultimate access to Stargate Command. By purchasing the All-Access Pass, you will have exclusive content at your fingertips, which you may access and use on up to 3 devices over the entire access period. All-Access starts on September 20, 2017 and ends on May 15, 2018. After May 15, 2018, the All-Access content will no longer be available through your All-Access Pass, but you will still be a member of the Stargate Command community, which will continue.

Darren
September 1st, 2017, 03:20 PM
"All-Access" membership is open to the U.S., U.K., Canada, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand. These are likely the franchise's largest markets, FWIW.

I'm not encouraging anybody to do anything crazy, but I pay $3/month for my VPN service (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/). It has a handy country picker.

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2017, 04:40 PM
Sometimes VPN's do come in handy -- if only I remembered I have it as an add-on. :p

NickEast
September 2nd, 2017, 12:59 AM
I may be wrong of course, but aren't streaming services supposed to be equal throughout the EU, since about this or last year? Or does that only apply to Netflix?

I can't imagine Germany and the UK have a bigger fanbase than other European countries, let alone six countries out of the whole world. Six countries is hardly enough to gauge interest and make sufficient profit, isn't it?

Falcon Horus
September 2nd, 2017, 04:16 PM
I may be wrong of course, but aren't streaming services supposed to be equal throughout the EU, since about this or last year? Or does that only apply to Netflix?

I can't imagine Germany and the UK have a bigger fanbase than other European countries, let alone six countries out of the whole world. Six countries is hardly enough to gauge interest and make sufficient profit, isn't it?

It's about licensing and broadcasting fees. It's about contracts and money.

The size of the fanbase has very little to do with it, that's just a party line.

Here you go, an article to explain it:

Here's How The TV Business Actually Works (And Why It's Going To Take Longer Than You Think To Disrupt It) (http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-the-tv-business-actually-works-and-why-its-going-to-take-longer-than-you-think-to-disrupt-it-2010-4?IR=T)

Gatefan1976
September 2nd, 2017, 05:39 PM
FYI -- Gateworld is my Stargate home! And will always be my (dysfunctional) Stargate family!

There, I said it. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHcN4Gm8tzM

:lol: :lol:

NickEast
September 3rd, 2017, 01:43 AM
It's about licensing and broadcasting fees. It's about contracts and money.

The size of the fanbase has very little to do with it, that's just a party line.

Here you go, an article to explain it:

Here's How The TV Business Actually Works (And Why It's Going To Take Longer Than You Think To Disrupt It) (http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-the-tv-business-actually-works-and-why-its-going-to-take-longer-than-you-think-to-disrupt-it-2010-4?IR=T)

Yes, I know, but why doesn't the fanbase size matter? I mean, it's basic math: more fans = more money, right? Six countries vs. sixty = more viewers = more money, right? This is the exact same problem that caused Stargate to remain a niche show and not get the fanbase (and thus money, and thus have a much bigger franchise) that it could have had. MGM did not market it properly, so they don't nearly get as much money as they should be able to. This is probably the biggest anachronism if we have to believe the way the TV business actually works. If it's all about the money, they're making sure they get very little of it.

There are no broadcasting fees and licensing, because MGM is streaming it themselves. They don't have to license it out to anyone, and there is no TV channel or streaming service like Netflix that is going to broadcast it. All they need to do is trademark "Stargate Command" in the countries (or in the EU itself, as that automatically takes care of all EU countries), then register the service for taxes and payment services and the like. Sure, that costs money, but it will earn a lot more in return.

Then there's the law. Yes, I know it sounds kind of naive, a big company actually following the law, but there are those laws that says streaming content should be equal throughout the EU.

If we simply have to believe MGM's reasons for setting this up, and if we have to believe how TV "really" works, then it's not working. The way I see it, I can't register for it. Even if I wanted to, which I actually did, I couldn't give MGM my money. And I'm definitely not the only one. So, by that statement, they're actually losing out on a lot more money than what they're actually getting.

Gatefan1976
September 3rd, 2017, 02:34 AM
Yes, I know, but why doesn't the fanbase size matter? I mean, it's basic math: more fans = more money, right? Six countries vs. sixty = more viewers = more money, right?

Nope.
It's -advertising- that pays for things, not just eyeballs. Your +3 viewers -might- see parts of the ads, your +7 viewers will skip them at a speed where you miss most of it, and your "online viewers" will cut them out entirely. If your show picks up tons of later views, it is popular, just not -must see- even with ads, and that does not cut it.

This is the exact same problem that caused Stargate to remain a niche show and not get the fanbase (and thus money, and thus have a much bigger franchise) that it could have had. MGM did not market it properly, so they don't nearly get as much money as they should be able to. This is probably the biggest anachronism if we have to believe the way the TV business actually works. If it's all about the money, they're making sure they get very little of it.

I see what you are saying, I'm just not sure if I totally agree. it's not that they want to make less, it's just that they failed to capitalize on it as well as they could.

There are no broadcasting fees and licensing, because MGM is streaming it themselves. They don't have to license it out to anyone, and there is no TV channel or streaming service like Netflix that is going to broadcast it. All they need to do is trademark "Stargate Command" in the countries (or in the EU itself, as that automatically takes care of all EU countries), then register the service for taxes and payment services and the like. Sure, that costs money, but it will earn a lot more in return.

There is little evidence that the "earning" will outweigh the cost, that's pure fan thinking. Economic thinking will trump fan thinking every day and twice on sundays.

Then there's the law. Yes, I know it sounds kind of naive, a big company actually following the law, but there are those laws that says streaming content should be equal throughout the EU.

Not sure what point you are making here.

If we simply have to believe MGM's reasons for setting this up, and if we have to believe how TV "really" works, then it's not working.

Yet, it does.

The way I see it, I can't register for it. Even if I wanted to, which I actually did, I couldn't give MGM my money. And I'm definitely not the only one. So, by that statement, they're actually losing out on a lot more money than what they're actually getting.
Exactly how much money were you personally planning to give?
You are making fan assumptions, that because -you- like it, other people will.

thekillman
September 3rd, 2017, 03:33 AM
Yes, I know, but why doesn't the fanbase size matter? I mean, it's basic math: more fans = more money, right?

The part you're forgetting is that more fans doesn't mean more paying fans.

I see what you are saying, I'm just not sure if I totally agree. it's not that they want to make less, it's just that they failed to capitalize on it as well as they could.

Everything comes with a risk, and i think it's evident that MGM wasn't quite willing to take super-huge risks with the Stargate franchise. Although, in a sense, SGU was probably the biggest risk they took. But according to Mallozzi and co, TPTB were quite lenient when it came to the budget, and Stargate was a fairly safe investment for years.

Falcon Horus
September 3rd, 2017, 07:40 AM
Exactly how much money were you personally planning to give?

20$ (US) -- I estimate the price to be the same in Pound Sterling (15,44 £), Euro (16,85 €), Canadian dollar (24,79 $) and Australian (25 $) & NZ dollar (27,94 $).

For a 9-month All-Access pass which expires on May 15, 2018.

Elite Anubis Guard
September 3rd, 2017, 09:25 AM
But we already knew that would be behind a pay-wall, so that's no surprise.

I know. It was more a comment directed at the price being next to nothing but because there's still a price, I'm sure plenty of people will still be annoyed.

Falcon Horus
September 3rd, 2017, 01:52 PM
I know. It was more a comment directed at the price being next to nothing but because there's still a price, I'm sure plenty of people will still be annoyed.

Ah... oh... oops... :o

Actually, I think they'll be more annoyed when they've read the fine print and learn that the all-access to stargate command ends on May 15, 2018. :p

Falcon Horus
September 16th, 2017, 02:13 PM
I'm still waiting for my Stargate:Origins t-shirt to arrive.

Really people, don't any of you read the fine print before you commit to something?

From the FAQ on Stargatecommand.co:

When will my pre-sale exclusive T-shirt ship?

T-shirts will ship in October 2017.

Az'ryel
September 17th, 2017, 03:02 AM
I sure knew why I did not get hyped over the announcement of this

There are some cases where I will say, come take my money but this is not one of them. It is just disappointing how they treat the fans of the franchise, like cows to milk money from

Falcon Horus
September 17th, 2017, 03:52 AM
I think, the biggest mistake in this particular case is alienating most of the larger fanbase.
6 countries get exclusive content, the rest of us can have the glorified GW rip-off (sorry, that's how I see it). Except that on GW the interviews, podcasts and cool stuff isn't hidden behind a pay-wall. Sure, we don't get to watch the entire stargate franchise, but come one... most of us have that sitting at home on a bookshelf on DVD or BlueRay.

However, it's no different than deciding a show's fate on one set of your audience.

Falcon Horus
September 17th, 2017, 06:24 AM
For anyone outside of the 6 lucky countries, you can literally kiss later access goodbye.

Someone on Reddit contacted the Stargatecommand team about access outside of the 6 countries and they got a reply. This particular bit seemed interesting enough to post here:

"We set out to offer the largest collection of Stargate content ever assembled in one place to accompany the new Origins series - offering that on a consistent basis across all worldwide territories was simply not an option, but we did make sure the All-Access Pass would be available to as many countries as possible upon launch."

Here's the thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/Stargate/comments/6y9slw/just_received_a_response_from_stargateco_only_the/).

Maybe, this does not include Origins but I wouldn't put it passed them at this point.

Az'ryel
September 17th, 2017, 06:28 AM
I'd say they do not care about the fans but about the money, only that there is a big mistake in their thinking, if It was not only for 6 countries, they could earn more

That said, I live where I could watch it, but I am not going to because this way of making buisness is a way I do not want to support

But you are right of course Falcon, most of us do have their fave Stargate series on the shelf

Falcon Horus
September 17th, 2017, 06:33 AM
True, but money does make the world go round unfortunately. Whether you agree with it or not.

Maybe, therefore it's for the best there isn't any news or any other stuff being dropped at regular intervals (except perhaps passed next week when the site launches) so that it doesn't constantly feel like salt in an open wound. Pitting the haves and havenots against one another is so awesome. :S

Az'ryel
September 17th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Maybe, therefore it's for the best there isn't any news or any other stuff being dropped at regular intervals (except perhaps passed next week when the site launches) so that it doesn't constantly feel like salt in an open wound. Pitting the haves and havenots against one another is so awesome. :S

Yes, I do agree with that, too, salt in wounds is not nice

Falcon Horus
September 20th, 2017, 12:29 AM
Looks like Stargate Command is offline. :p

Couldn't reach the site earlier. Or it's being prepped to go online.

Bagpuss
September 20th, 2017, 12:36 AM
Does this link work for you? stargatecommand.co/ (https://stargatecommand.co/)

Falcon Horus
September 20th, 2017, 12:54 AM
Does this link work for you? stargatecommand.co/ (https://stargatecommand.co/)

Nope, I still get the "Site can't be reached" message.

Don't worry about it though -- I'm not the fan they are looking for anyway. ;)
I can only access their free zone so it's not like I'm missing out on anything cool.

Bagpuss
September 20th, 2017, 01:08 AM
Fair enough.I doubt I'm the fan they're looking for either,given that I wish the international roll-out had been sorted out before launch,and haven't signed up yet.:)

Falcon Horus
September 20th, 2017, 04:58 AM
Fair enough.I doubt I'm the fan they're looking for either,given that I wish the international roll-out had been sorted out before launch,and haven't signed up yet.:)

Actually, it was only the US that was allowed to sign up early, so when the site launches today (or later today), the app will also go live, and that's how UK (and Germany, Canada, Oz & NZ) peeps can sign up for all-access.

So, you are in fact very much a fan they are looking for. ;)

The rest of the fandom is only allowed in steerage (3rd class).

Bagpuss
September 20th, 2017, 05:53 AM
Nice of you say I'm in the right category.Geographically? Yes.Right now,financially? Nope.:)
If I decide to enlist (once it's possible to do so) I need to make sure my dog's upcoming trip to the vet isn't going to bust my account first.His health is more important than any show any day,though I'm genuinely interested in Catherine Langford's backstory and in seeing what they come up with.

I don't think the rest of the world will be shut out for long,but I do understand why you're feeling shunned!

Falcon Horus
September 20th, 2017, 06:21 AM
I don't think the rest of the world will be shut out for long,but I do understand why you're feeling shunned!

When it comes to all-access, the only thing the rest of the fandom might (and I stress the might) have access to at some point in time (far too late in time, I'm afraid) would be Origins.

All the cool new stuff they've been recording for it in the last few weeks, like interviews and whatnot is off limits.

So yeah, I'm not feeling too much Stargate love at the moment.

the fifth man
September 22nd, 2017, 12:37 PM
I really want this to be the start of something. How likely that is remains to be seen. I will probably give Origins a shot, even though I am not a fan of 10 minute episodes. They should have just given us the full 100 minute movie, which is what this really is.

Falcon Horus
September 22nd, 2017, 04:08 PM
I really want this to be the start of something. How likely that is remains to be seen. I will probably give Origins a shot, even though I am not a fan of 10 minute episodes. They should have just given us the full 100 minute movie, which is what this really is.

If you put the 10 episodes together, you have one movie.

Hey, at least you have access -- no complaining now. That's only for the people in steerage. ;)

the fifth man
September 22nd, 2017, 06:10 PM
If you put the 10 episodes together, you have one movie.

Hey, at least you have access -- no complaining now. That's only for the people in steerage. ;)

Very true. I shouldn't complain. I just hope this venture leads to more. It has been tough without Stargate.

Falcon Horus
October 5th, 2017, 02:25 PM
BIG NEWS!!

Stargate Command and MGM announced Stargate Origins sweetstakes to win a VIP tour to the Stargate Origins set in LA -- big fancy weekend.

It's open to US residents only -- and that made me snort so loud, I woke the cats from their peaceful sleep.

MGM is thanking the fans alright -- just too bad, the audience wasn't there to keep Universe in the air. Alienate the rest who might be able to give it another go, and this "reboot" has sunk before it has even gotten off the ground.

Elite Anubis Guard
October 5th, 2017, 11:41 PM
It's more than likely due to covering the costs of worldwide flights. It's nothing strange either. I'm sure plenty of competitions are restricted to the country running them. MGM isn't setting out to be evil and alienate their fanbase with this.

Falcon Horus
October 6th, 2017, 12:14 AM
It's more than likely due to covering the costs of worldwide flights. It's nothing strange either. I'm sure plenty of competitions are restricted to the country running them. MGM isn't setting out to be evil and alienate their fanbase with this.

Oh, I know that... Also, you don't send a European to LA for 2 days -- the jetlag alone would be murder.

I just thought it was funny... or maybe not, I don't know. I'm not feeling the MGM love for international fans anyway so this was just icing on the cake for the 5 who do think they are included in the exclusive stuff.

planet_tv
October 6th, 2017, 05:41 PM
It's interesting that they didn't include Canada in the sweepstakes since it was huge part of the TV portion of the franchise.

DrMckay
October 6th, 2017, 10:38 PM

Intentional or not, evil or not, I think we can already predict what the result of this whole "relaunch" will be for the franchise... I predict a demise instead of a reboot...

Anyways, call me spiteful, maybe it is, but I'm not sure I want it to succeed in its current format.

Personally, I even prefer a demise than a prequel-webseries that sounds so boring (Catherine Langford, seriously??) And a website full of rehashing old existing information and commercially selling it to fans as if it's new.

They just should have sold the rights of the franchise long ago. Maybe to netflix, who knows.

Falcon Horus
October 7th, 2017, 05:34 AM
^^ has a good point.

I'm feeling quite resentful and more than a bit jealous of those who do have access and get to enjoy the "cool bits". But at the same time I rejoice at the idea that much of what is marketed as "brand new behind the scenes" are actually the behind the scenes readily available on the DVD's and nothing is really new.

It's a rehash of all material. And also, the episodes available for streaming cannot be watched on all devices. The system lacks in possibilities. They can't be watched offline and with the latest updates to the app, the screen goes black after a few minutes which has resulted in the SG1-version of whack-a-mole. I can't believe anyone would pay 20 or more dollars for that.

And the message feed hasn't improved. Half of what is on the app, is not being used. Nobody knows what the coins you earn are for, other than that you go up in ranks but once you his Ascended there's nothing more to gain (Airman --> Captain --> General --> Ascended). The polls are too few, the quizzes not varied enough (one question is not a quiz) and the newsarticles are well... not updating fast enough. The app also has loads of lagtime which basically means that if you try viewing a conversation you hit back if you have to wait longer than 5 seconds. That's really not good.

I'm still -- more or less active -- even though I posted that I was leaving yesterday. Just checking to see if something interesting hit but for the most part -- GATEWORLD IS THE OFFICIAL STARGATE HOME, Stargate Command has nothing on it.

jelgate
October 7th, 2017, 12:50 PM
I would point out by definition a fan site can't be the official home for a franchise

DrMckay
October 7th, 2017, 01:15 PM
I would point out by definition a fan site can't be the official home for a franchise

Doesn't matter, if fans consider it as such, it de facto is, whatever any corporation/legislation/... says.

Falcon Horus
October 7th, 2017, 01:32 PM

Okay fine, the UNOFFICIAL home then -- still 100 times better than the "official" one. :p

jelgate
October 7th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Okay fine, the UNOFFICIAL home then -- still 100 times better than the "official" one. :p

That's more accurate and kind of bitter

Elite Anubis Guard
October 9th, 2017, 03:21 AM
In general, I find fan-sites to be better places than the official if only that I find them a little better moderated. Still capable of toxicity, unfortunately. And the official sites will always have access to new/more "official" content than fan-sites too. Not that fan-sites can't generate their own, obviously, but it's worth noting.

In regards to the format, I'm going to give it a go before I damn it. Do I think it's an odd choice? Sure, I do. Do I wish it was a fully fletched show or the return of Universe? Hell yeah! But I'm gonna give it a go, see what they do with it and hopefully it'll be good.

Falcon Horus
October 9th, 2017, 03:51 AM
In general, I find fan-sites to be better places than the official if only that I find them a little better moderated. Still capable of toxicity, unfortunately. And the official sites will always have access to new/more "official" content than fan-sites too. Not that fan-sites can't generate their own, obviously, but it's worth noting.

I can assure you that as far as "exclusive" content goes, there's not much of it. The only thing probably exclusive to Command is the 2 entries about the production of Origins. The rest is rehashed material, even the behind the scenes videos are rehashed material from the DVD's.

In regards to the format, I'm going to give it a go before I damn it. Do I think it's an odd choice? Sure, I do. Do I wish it was a fully fletched show or the return of Universe? Hell yeah! But I'm gonna give it a go, see what they do with it and hopefully it'll be good.

I thought you were talking about the app, but you're talking about Origins.

At least, you get the "legal" opportunity to give it a chance. A lot of us don't even have that.

Gatefan1976
October 15th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Found this while surfing YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fk7NuG8N84

thekillman
October 16th, 2017, 05:01 AM
So news, yay?

It's still awfully quiet on the origins front.

Falcon Horus
October 16th, 2017, 09:01 AM
So news, yay?

It's still awfully quiet on the origins front.

Like deafening...

DrMckay
October 16th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Yeah, noticed on Reddit too that all the origins/stargatecommand related threads have gone cold.
Have the impression the buzz is over and it's already seriously cooled down...

Falcon Horus
October 16th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Yeah, noticed on Reddit too that all the origins/stargatecommand related threads have gone cold.
Have the impression the buzz is over and it's already seriously cooled down...

Everybody knows it's bad marketing if you can't keep the buzz alive. That's killing it before it has even taken off.

Elite Anubis Guard
October 17th, 2017, 12:24 AM
Generally there is always a lull between announcement and proper marketing kicking in. We'll get sporadic teases during production until they enter post and close in on actual release. It's during that time we'll see proper marketing take place and build the hype.

Falcon Horus
October 17th, 2017, 01:57 AM
Generally there is always a lull between announcement and proper marketing kicking in. We'll get sporadic teases during production until they enter post and close in on actual release. It's during that time we'll see proper marketing take place and build the hype.

No, no there generally isn't a lull. A lull means you loose your momentum... and humans tend to move away when there isn't anything interesting for them to look to. It's why there's an unwritten 5-second website loading rule. If your website takes longer than 5 seconds to properly load, you loose the surfer and he will have moved on long before those 5 seconds have passed.

The human race is a remarkably impatient species, and if you do not keep their attention, they will not continue to give it. And most will also not return when you do give them something spectacular cause they will have remembered the previous lull.

In this instance, Stargate Command by MGM is there to keep the people engaged, talking until they can deliver on Origins. But the novelty has long since worn off, and for those who are not all-access the attention is slowly slipping away. Why do you think I started this "Proper Stargate Rewatch"? It's the only way for me, at least, to keep the momentum going, cause neither Command or MGM is currently doing that.

Elite Anubis Guard
October 18th, 2017, 01:04 AM
I understand the concept of momentum. I run a none Stargate fan-site and I always see lulls between the announcement and actual marketing. They can't keep a continual momentum from the moment of announcement all the way through production and into release. Actual marketing doesn't happen until those final few months prior to release where they have enough material in the bag to actually use for marketing for trailers and promo pictures and etc. Of course, all things are slightly different but that's the general pattern.

I don't think they've even started filming Origins yet, have they? It's a TV show so they'll be able to throw more out there. Episode titles, more frequent set pictures, etc. But this is nothing to worry about. It's just more chicken-littling.

Falcon Horus
October 18th, 2017, 04:15 AM
They want to release the damn thing at the end of December 2017 or the start of January 2018 -- they are cutting it really short.

And they need momentum, because the "fans" are not going to be enough to fund the revenue on this thing.

Pre-production has been happening since, I think, the end of August -- if Director Bryce's diaries are somewhat accurate towards timing.

Elite Anubis Guard
October 19th, 2017, 02:40 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the release date gets pushed back to Feb/March. When they start filming we'll likely hear a little bit more.

Platschu
October 22nd, 2017, 12:26 PM
I don't want to make pre-juedgements, but it is a bad sign that Brad Wright or Robert C. Cooper or the very talents and creative Martin Gero are not involved in the development. I have really hoped for years that Stargate is going to return with a nice new spinoff or a few TV movies, but somehow I still feel that Stargate:Origins will be a disappointment. Simply the length of this web episodes won't be equal to the normal episodes. For example: how can you create a trailer, if the trailer is almost as long as the current web episode? You know nowadays they make a trailer of a trailer... People watch Youtube daily, so the whole world, especially the expectations of the viewers have changed in the last 20 years. Lowbudget scifi shows won't survive in this competition. Somehow I don't feel that big financial support behind the SG:O, like a few chosen fans have a chance to make a sponsored SG fan movie without the help of the original cast and crew. I can only hope I am wrong. If MGM makes a mistake with the SG:O, then it can really close the gates forever.

Falcon Horus
October 23rd, 2017, 03:59 AM
I don't want to make pre-juedgements, but it is a bad sign that Brad Wright or Robert C. Cooper or the very talents and creative Martin Gero are not involved in the development. I have really hoped for years that Stargate is going to return with a nice new spinoff or a few TV movies, but somehow I still feel that Stargate:Origins will be a disappointment. Simply the length of this web episodes won't be equal to the normal episodes. For example: how can you create a trailer, if the trailer is almost as long as the current web episode?

Because it's a 100 minute film, give or take a few, which will be chopped into 10 10-minute webisodes.
This is not a new series. It's more kin to a new chapter within the Stargate franchise, an Origins chapter detailing Catherine Langford's life, or part of it anyway.

You know nowadays they make a trailer of a trailer...

Because this is a 100-minute film, it will also be filmed as such. Therefore, making a trailer for it, isn't too hard.
It will all be filmed at once, edited at once, post will be all at once. They'll just cut it up to fill 10 slots of 10 minute streamings.

Somehow I don't feel that big financial support behind the SG:O, like a few chosen fans have a chance to make a sponsored SG fan movie without the help of the original cast and crew. I can only hope I am wrong. If MGM makes a mistake with the SG:O, then it can really close the gates forever.

Err... this isn't a fanproject. The VIF's (Very Important Fan) of the lucky 6 countries able to pay for streaming are not enough to fund this project, like ever.

MGM is funding this project, and they contracted a firm who specializes in webseries. The director is employed by these guys. The people behind Stargate Command are MGM employees, and the app is made by TopFan, who specializes in building apps for companies and people to monetize their fanbase.

Platschu
October 23rd, 2017, 04:14 AM
I can only hope that my worries were unfounded. Just I still feel some amateur marketing behind it. I still miss Stargate, so I would like to see the success of the SG:O.

Falcon Horus
October 23rd, 2017, 05:53 AM
Just I still feel some amateur marketing behind it.

Unfortunately very true -- but even big companies occasionally feel to deliver.

DrMckay
October 23rd, 2017, 10:07 AM
Noticed something else today: they put in the effort to launch a separate website for "the official stargate podcast", but only the first episode is available there.
The next two episodes are only available through stargatecommand.

So with regard to the posts above: why am I also getting more and more the feeling that they're in the process of completely wrecking the franchise?

I'm surprised to learn from FalconHorus about how all the involved parties are all over the place: a webseries-firm, a director who doesn't work for MGM, ...

Makes this even more of a disaster in my opinion. Can imagine the outcome already: this "initiative" tanks and then it's a round of "who's fault is it" with 3 separate parties pointing the finger at each other and the franchise buried for 20 years if we're lucky, for ever if we're not.

Been thinking about it a lot, but still can't get my head around why the hell they decided to take this direction with the franchise...
I mean, even from a commercial/marketing point-of-view, this has disaster written all over it.

DrMckay
October 23rd, 2017, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately very true -- but even big companies occasionally feel to deliver.

Occasionally?

In my personal opinion, there's a dung heap consisting of the following 3 things:
- big companies
- politicians
- religious "organizations" a.k.a. the church and others.

Put these 3 together and you can probably account for the responsibility of about 75% of everything that goes wrong in the world.

So, why would you say that they sometimes fail to deliver? Where oh where would you get that idea? :indeed:

Falcon Horus
October 23rd, 2017, 12:13 PM
So, why would you say that they sometimes fail to deliver? Where oh where would you get that idea? :indeed:

:sheppardanime23::weir40:

Elite Anubis Guard
October 27th, 2017, 12:37 AM
https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/10/christopher-judge-host-stargate-panel-lacc/

Christopher Judge (“Teal’c”) will host a “Stargate: Past, Present, and Future” panel on Saturday, October 28 at the L.A. Convention Center. Described as a journey that will “span more than 23 years of planet-hopping adventures,” the panel promises to celebrate the extensive legacy of the franchise — as well as tease what the future holds.

Fans in attendance will also get a new glimpse at Stargate Origins, which is currently in production in the greater L.A. area.

Panel guests include Stargate Origins director Mercedes Bryce Morgan and Origins actor Ellie Gall, who was recently cast as young Catherine Langford. Damian Beurer (Legion M) will co-host the panel along with Judge.

I'd imagine the same footage would make it's way online around the same time.

Falcon Horus
October 27th, 2017, 04:24 AM
I'd imagine the same footage would make it's way online around the same time.

It might even be streamed, and if it isn't then social media will just have to do its magic.

Platschu
October 28th, 2017, 01:12 PM
STARGATE : ORIGINS - teaser trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLctS-RWNuY

NickEast
October 28th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Okay, so... Why does it appear they're using the design of the movie gate, and not the one that has been used throughout ten seasons of SG-1 and quite a number of SGA and SGU episodes? I mean, I can clearly see in some shots that the chevrons are flat grey and not translucent red (not to mention the CGI shot of the full gate at the end). And the shimmering light and wide-eyed people seem to indicate an active gate, which contradicts established canon, from both the movie, the shows and Continuum. Though other scenes indicate it may also take place in Egypt prior to the gate being moved to America. At least I hope so. Prof. Langford also seems older (like in the movie) compared to his appearance in SG-1.

Falcon Horus
October 28th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Not going to watch it since I'd rather not get spoiled for something I might not be able to see so why bother anyway... Kinda like Star Trek Discovery (which I do have downloaded, just haven't found the time to watch it).

But the above does not inspire me with confidence that canon will stay intact. :S

Also, the fact it's not Stargate Command breaking the news of the teaser but EW tells me the app is not kept in high regard by MGM.

Jackson2b
October 28th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Okay, so... Why does it appear they're using the design of the movie gate, and not the one that has been used throughout ten seasons of SG-1 and quite a number of SGA and SGU episodes? I mean, I can clearly see in some shots that the chevrons are flat grey and not translucent red (not to mention the CGI shot of the full gate at the end). And the shimmering light and wide-eyed people seem to indicate an active gate, which contradicts established canon, from both the movie, the shows and Continuum. Though other scenes indicate it may also take place in Egypt prior to the gate being moved to America. At least I hope so. Prof. Langford also seems older (like in the movie) compared to his appearance in SG-1.

The design movie of the stargate shocked me a lot, because I thought that the show was on the SG1 timeline and not on the movie timeline. So what's the deal? The show will be finally on the Movie Timeline?

DrMckay
October 28th, 2017, 10:21 PM
Well, I just did watch it. What can I say? Color me disappointed.

All the remarks above and then some. I call b*llsh*t when they claim this is canon.

This is exactly the same crap as star trek discovery: "trust us, we got this, definitely not in the kelvin timeline"...

Personally, I'm hoping even more now that this initiative fails.
Rather give me no Stargate than this.

Falcon Horus
October 29th, 2017, 01:34 AM
The design movie of the stargate shocked me a lot, because I thought that the show was on the SG1 timeline and not on the movie timeline. So what's the deal? The show will be finally on the Movie Timeline?

Could it be, and it's just a thought, an in-between timeline...?

Considering it doesn't follow but predates both Stargate (1994) and Stargate SG-1 (1997) timeline wise, it could combine canon from both Stargates. Nevertheless, it'll still screw up story elements, even redcon a few if they deviate from what we learned of Langford's discovery and Catherine's younger years in both film and series.

Which, to be quite frankly, would not be cool.

DrMckay
October 29th, 2017, 03:37 AM
Oh well, in the end, we're just a couple of idiots whose opinion doesn't matter screaming in the desert/on a forum where it doesn't make a difference.

Obviously, they never care for the fan's opinions. Or it's possible that this is intentional, maybe they're aiming for a different/younger generation of fans like they did with the new startrek movies, trying to attract a wider audience and such.

And then of course they're surprised when it goes down the drain, just like the new star trek movies that gained less and less profit with every movie, to such an extent that there are rumours that there will be no more new movies in the kelvin timeline.

But that's explained away by blaming the fans again: they weren't supportive enough... (SGU anyone?) :)

Anyways, the world will keep turning, whether this pans out or not :)

Falcon Horus
October 29th, 2017, 05:24 AM
Listening to the fans is a bad idea, but blaming them is even worse. :p

jelgate
October 29th, 2017, 07:28 AM
Don't blame the shippers either. That's my THING

Falcon Horus
October 29th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Don't blame the shippers either. That's my THING

I wouldn't dare. :p

Elite Anubis Guard
October 29th, 2017, 08:33 AM
As a fan of the whole Stargate concept and not just the shows, I'm intrigued by the movie-style Stargate (and I love it). It does look like they have an actual practical Gate on set too. Also loved the movie score for the teaser and with the casting of Kelly Vint Castro, that's another movie connection. I wonder if they will tie more into the movie.

I've no idea where they're going with this but I'm really interested. Be nice to know if it is its own thing or if it's intended to tie in with the TV series.

NickEast
October 29th, 2017, 09:04 AM
As a fan of the whole Stargate concept and not just the shows, I'm intrigued by the movie-style Stargate (and I love it). It does look like they have an actual practical Gate on set too. Also loved the movie score for the teaser and with the casting of Kelly Vint Castro, that's another movie connection. I wonder if they will tie more into the movie.

I've no idea where they're going with this but I'm really interested. Be nice to know if it is its own thing or if it's intended to tie in with the TV series.

That's the whole thing. MGM said that it's part of the main television franchise, as opposed to what the reboot from Emmerich/Devlin was supposed to do. Not part of the movie, not on it's own. This feels a lot like Star Trek Discovery; it's supposed to be part of the main franchise, yet pretty much everything contradicts it.

It better not be a dream ending, damaged timeline, or memory loss near the end of the series to "solve" the continuity errors. Do it right, right away, or don't do it at all.

Gatefan1976
October 29th, 2017, 09:12 AM
What it feels like is a crap attempt to join the other "star" alumni.
Star trek buried itself into "political culture"
Star wars buried itself in "toy culture" and "a long LONG time ago" history culture.
Stargate has done neither, not because it can't, but because MGM hasn't.

Falcon Horus
October 29th, 2017, 09:45 AM

I just watched Torment of Tantalus (by chance) and with the information currently available from people here, it contradicts just about everything we learned from Catherine in this episode. So, it looks like it's not going to fit in with the timeline established in the series -- and they are about to redcon the whole damn thing.

DrMckay
October 29th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Funny, when looking on reddit: the more material is released, the more people are starting to say it looks like it will suck, especially compared to a few months ago.

Some guy who is in the business too (backed up by a link to his imdb page etc.) is already warning people to not get their hopes up: the footage shows it's cheaply and non-professionally made.

Nobody with any creds in the industry is involved anyways. It all looks cheaply shot inside. Some claim "but they're visiting shooting locations according to the site". Yeah, but that was a few weeks ago and even shooting outside requires permits, permission, ...

Personally, I'm feeling a huge "told you so"-moment coming up...

Thinking more and more to not watch it at all: not the final product and not the first few free eps that would be available in every country.

Rather remember my favorite franchise as it was.

I also have too much the impression that it's going to be indiana jones meets lara croft. God it just looks so unbelievably boring... :(

Falcon Horus
October 29th, 2017, 03:38 PM
I also have too much the impression that it's going to be indiana jones meets lara croft. God it just looks so unbelievably boring... :(

Didn't we already do that with Relic Hunter? :p

Which I really enjoyed watching. :D
And there's also Young Indiana Jones with... darn it, what's his name... He played Orlin in SG-1. Build a ******* stargate out of a toaster for cryin' out loud.

Elite Anubis Guard
October 30th, 2017, 01:46 AM
I'm still keeping my mind open and willing to give this a go. I try not to pre-judge things and go in and give them a genuine chance rather than deciding I'll hate it before hand. I'd prefer a brand new full show but if I enjoy this, then great.

Az'ryel
October 30th, 2017, 01:58 PM
I'm still keeping my mind open and willing to give this a go. I try not to pre-judge things and go in and give them a genuine chance rather than deciding I'll hate it before hand. I'd prefer a brand new full show but if I enjoy this, then great.

That is very hard for me after all the negative things I read about it here already, not to the least about how it is being made accessible to people, combined with that I cannot shake the feeling that things we knew to be facts for a while will be told differently all of a sudden, which I am not a fan of

Falcon Horus
October 30th, 2017, 02:21 PM
That is very hard for me after all the negative things I read about it here already...

Maybe you'll like it, cause after all we all have different opinions.

...not to the least about how it is being made accessible to people...

Or not.

I uninstalled the app from my phone and deleted every trace of it after the upteenth crash today. 10 crashes during 1 week, 8 alone today. Severe lagtimes and slow loadtimes.
It's in those moments I'm actually quite happy I'm excluded from any streaming service whatsoever.

...combined with that I cannot shake the feeling that things we knew to be facts for a while will be told differently all of a sudden, which I am not a fan of

Neither am I.

Platschu
October 30th, 2017, 03:15 PM
At least they showed the gate for a few seconds. I was not really impressed with the CGI gate design at the end of this trailer even if it was for promotion only. Why were the glyphs missing? Will they use the same gate set piece like in SG-1? I hope they don't plan to use that one which had Egyptian hieroglyphs on it as in the Stargate movie even if the first SG:O poster showed the SG-1 (Milky Way) gate.

jelgate
October 30th, 2017, 04:12 PM
I believe the SG1 gate no longer exists

Falcon Horus
October 30th, 2017, 04:33 PM
I believe the SG1 gate no longer exists

Neither does the Stargate gate -- well pieces might still survive in Devlin's collection since he actually used pieces of it as setdressing in an episode of Leverage once. :D

But the drawings do still exist. The concept art and such.

DrMckay
October 30th, 2017, 11:10 PM
I uninstalled the app from my phone and deleted every trace of it after the upteenth crash today. 10 crashes during 1 week, 8 alone today. Severe lagtimes and slow loadtimes.
It's in those moments I'm actually quite happy I'm excluded from any streaming service whatsoever.

I am shocked and appalled.

You are claiming that... for 20 bucks, the users get crap? That it's made in an amateuristic way?
That it's a cheap money-grab, nothing more?

Hmmm, big surprise there :)
One can only wonder, if the webseries gets as much support, both in terms of resources, money and effort as the webplatform, what the endresult will be like.

My guess is, there will be lots of crying around the world when the first ep gets released ;)

Falcon Horus
October 31st, 2017, 12:49 AM
I am shocked and appalled.

You are claiming that... for 20 bucks, the users get crap? That it's made in an amateuristic way?
That it's a cheap money-grab, nothing more?

The sarcasm is strong in this one. :p

Hmmm, big surprise there :)
One can only wonder, if the webseries gets as much support, both in terms of resources, money and effort as the webplatform, what the endresult will be like.

I don't think it's a big budget to make -- I estimate about a half of a million or maybe a million, though from the looks of the sets it could potentially be more. But considering tent-city is the size of my office space, I reckon the budget isn't too high. Besides it's a webseries. They are used to working with lower budgets.

My guess is, there will be lots of crying around the world when the first ep gets released ;)

I find it rather misleading that whenever there's talk or news released that both Stargate Command and MGM are really quite about the fact that not everyone will be able to stream it on Command. That there are in fact restrictions. The Children of MacGuyver is a French group of gaters who are in the process of building a lifesize SG-1 gate and if it ever gets finished it will look stunning (my Sodan staffweapon comes from one of these guys, and I've met them), were moderately excited about it, and my first thought was like, "Guys, you can't even watch it!".

Elite Anubis Guard
October 31st, 2017, 01:51 AM
That is very hard for me after all the negative things I read about it here already, not to the least about how it is being made accessible to people, combined with that I cannot shake the feeling that things we knew to be facts for a while will be told differently all of a sudden, which I am not a fan of

I'm sure a lot of people are but that's why I'm trying to ensure there's at least one none doomsayer voice there for people to see - even if I'm just being neutral about it until I get to watch the finished thing. I would hope that the finished piece would also be released on DVD or Blu-ray as well for those who aren't able to get the app.

Platschu
October 31st, 2017, 02:42 AM
Maybe they sold or destroyed the old gate prop, but it doesn't mean that they can not build a new one for the SG:O.

By the way... The story could still fit into the canon:
1. it could be an alternative timeline
2. Mitchell (from Continuum) shows up and helps the team
3. they find Daniel notes (from Moebius)
4. they find a new dialing resource (like what Teal'c had in Continuum)
But either way it would be essential that Catherine never goes through the gate and her dad will be still a liar about the "death" of Ernest. So the story could work if they place it after Ernest's accident, but the SG:O shows clearly pre-USA era in Egypt and not the experiments after the WW2.

The drift of the planets is still a problem. So it can happen that some friendly or hostile alien will dial in, but they have to give a real good explanations why would Catherine not share this info with the SG-1. So my vote would go for option 1, we have to treat it SG:O like an alternative universe. :)

Falcon Horus
October 31st, 2017, 05:23 AM
I would hope that the finished piece would also be released on DVD or Blu-ray as well for those who aren't able to get the app.

The app is free for all, the streaming service isn't.

Also, not interested in giving them my money if they don't allow me to sample it first.

Maybe they sold or destroyed the old gate prop, but it doesn't mean that they can not build a new one for the SG:O.

The movie gate was destroyed, literally trashed. Devlin saved some pieces which he reused in an episode of Leverage as wallpieces.

And SG-1 had several gates of which a few were destroyed or re-used, and the last few were cut up and auctioned off.

Az'ryel
October 31st, 2017, 08:27 AM
Maybe you'll like it, cause after all we all have different opinions.

Or not.

Neither am I.

Though we have different tastes, I would always feel the nagging at the back of my mind that has to do with how they treat fans, which would make me not really able to enjoy it.

But, I am glad I never got the app

Elite Anubis Guard
November 1st, 2017, 02:01 AM
The app is free for all, the streaming service isn't.

Also, not interested in giving them my money if they don't allow me to sample it first.

The point still stands. I would hope that the finished piece would also be released on DVD or Blu-ray as well for those who aren't able to stream the show.

We'll no doubt get a trailer anyway so you'll be able to sample it.

Az'ryel
November 1st, 2017, 07:10 AM
The point still stands. I would hope that the finished piece would also be released on DVD or Blu-ray as well for those who aren't able to stream the show.

There is a trailer out already :)

Elite Anubis Guard
November 1st, 2017, 07:22 AM
I was thinking more a trailer with actual footage rather than a teaser :)

Falcon Horus
November 3rd, 2017, 10:12 AM

Trailers are horribly unreliable for sampling.

I think someone should make an actual trailer from that teaser. I was thinking about doing it, but learning that Dial Home interviews will conveniently also be locked behind that freakin' all-access pay wall, I'm all turned off for this new installment.

If I'm not the fan they want to thank, I'm not going to squee and cheer for something I can't watch anyway. They can literally stick the gate where the sun doesn't shine, as far as I'm concerned.

DrMckay
November 3rd, 2017, 11:12 AM
They can literally stick the gate where the sun doesn't shine, as far as I'm concerned.

Damn... Last thing you want to hear then is "unscheduled offworld activation".

Talk about a pain in the ass...

Az'ryel
November 3rd, 2017, 12:56 PM
If I'm not the fan they want to thank, I'm not going to squee and cheer for something I can't watch anyway. They can literally stick the gate where the sun doesn't shine, as far as I'm concerned.

My thoughts exactly, very well said

Falcon Horus
November 3rd, 2017, 04:48 PM
Damn... Last thing you want to hear then is "unscheduled offworld activation".

Talk about a pain in the ass...

:lol:

thekillman
November 4th, 2017, 04:20 AM

As far as i'm aware, all gates are gone. And it's pretty much tradition by now that each series has it's own gate design.

So my vote would go for option 1, we have to treat it SG:O like an alternative universe.
It means nothing. As far as SG1 goes, we're already in universe 3 or 4. Counting SGA and you can add 2 more. Count SGu and we're 3-4 more. We haven't been in the Main Universe since what, season 2? 3? Oh and i forgot Continuum which adds 2-3 more AU's. We treat whatever universe we follow as the Main Universe even when it's not.

But yea, all indications to me are that we are seeing a backdoor pilot attempt that, if successful, will almost certainly lead to a reboot. Which, to please the SG1 fans, they can simply frame as an alternate universe story. It won't be that hard to write an alternate series for SG1 where everything went differently, plenty of story to tell still.

NickEast
November 4th, 2017, 06:59 AM
As far as i'm aware, all gates are gone. And it's pretty much tradition by now that each series has it's own gate design.

It means nothing. As far as SG1 goes, we're already in universe 3 or 4. Counting SGA and you can add 2 more. Count SGu and we're 3-4 more. We haven't been in the Main Universe since what, season 2? 3? Oh and i forgot Continuum which adds 2-3 more AU's. We treat whatever universe we follow as the Main Universe even when it's not.

But yea, all indications to me are that we are seeing a backdoor pilot attempt that, if successful, will almost certainly lead to a reboot. Which, to please the SG1 fans, they can simply frame as an alternate universe story. It won't be that hard to write an alternate series for SG1 where everything went differently, plenty of story to tell still.

First, there is no "one gate per series". It only looks that way because of where those series are set. The pilots of Atlantis and Universe still showed the Milky-Way exactly as it did on SG-1 (minus the inconsistency with sound effects and lights). A number of episodes in both series also showed the Milky Way gate (again, Universe had an error where there were twice the amount of symbols, but it was the same physical prop). It has also been said time and again that the gate in the SGC was the one found in Egypt. So Stargate Origins seems to contradict itself.

Second, there is only one universe, the Stargate-universe. This is everything that happened in all three shows, regardless of how many times they changed the timeline. Technically, there are three (the film and its novels, the television franchise, and Infinity). Then the television franchise has an Expanded Universe with the novels and comics (and games for as much as they exist). There's a difference between alternate timelines (Continuum, Moebius, etc.), alternative universes (the Quantum Mirror and Ripple Effect), and the continuity "universe" of the franchise.

MGM said Stargate Origins is part of the "main franchise", which is the Stargate-universe as created by Brad Wright, Robert C. Cooper and Jonathan Glassner, where the Stargate that was found in Egypt has nine equal chevrons that light up, Catherine did not step through the gate until 1997/8, the gate was brought to America in 1939 and was activated once in 1945, without Catherine knowing about it. There are no amount of "alternate timelines", "universes" or "retcons" that can justify these easily fixable mistakes.

The Abrams Star Trek films are an alternate timeline. Are they "canon"? No, by Abrams' own words. They are separate from the "main universe" which comprises all the TV series and the main films. Discovery is also supposed to be in that main universe, but like SG:O makes a lot of contradictions.

No matter what other people think, this seriously breaks the suspension of disbelief. Simply put, MGM lied to us fans, regardless of how much you like or not like SG:O. The app is not for "us", "we" cannot subscribe and get access to Origins. They are not taking the main franchise that ran for fourteen years straight seriously any more. How difficult is it really to stay "true" to an existing franchise? To really listen to the fans who cry out that they're doing something wrong? I don't mean making SG:O instead of SGU S3, but about the errors in SG:O.

There are always people who like it and not like it. It happened with Thunderbirds and MacGyver, but it is a fact that it's nothing like the original, and it's nowhere even near as good as the original. If you want a reboot, fine, but take the existing fans seriously and treat them well, because they made the franchise a success in the first place. If no-one watched it, it would've been cancelled right away.

TL;DR. SG:O is supposed to be "canon", but it isn't. MGM won't take us seriously and ignores about three-quarters of the fanbase.

Falcon Horus
November 4th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Well, nivao, that was ... very honest of you. And would get you a downvote on the message feed of Stargate Command -- I know this to be true since I've had a few over the same sort of posting. :p

I second your post.

NickEast
November 5th, 2017, 02:18 AM
Well, nivao, that was ... very honest of you. And would get you a downvote on the message feed of Stargate Command -- I know this to be true since I've had a few over the same sort of posting. :p

I second your post.

That's why I'm very much ignoring the app and its "forum". I was half afraid my post would get some negative criticism even here, so I was prepared to apologize for ranting. It's just that, as a devoted fan I can't get it why other "devoted fans" would like SG:O so much. I read a lot of tweets from Stargate Command and the replies to it from so-called "fans" who love what they are doing. I just don't get it. I understand if people like it. Maybe I can even get to like it, but on it's own, not as a "proper continuation of the Stargate franchise that stays true to its canon". I just can't see why it would be a proper continuation. I don't really have anything against prequels and miniseries or webseries, it's purely the way MGM is going about this and the writing on SG:O.

I'm actually considering unfollowing Stargate on Facebook and Twitter, uninstalling the app completely and unsubscribing every newsletter from MGM or Stargate. I don't want anything to do any more with MGM or Stargate Origins and the so-called "fans".

Gatefan1976
November 5th, 2017, 02:53 AM
Nivao, -ranting- is what we do best :lol:
From what I can gather, SG:O is an alternate timeline, and I'm down with that, make it good, make it stargate and I have no problems, but DON'T tell me it's SG-1 or SGA , or even SGU.
It's a reboot, sell it on that merit, it worked for SG-1, which was a reboot of the movie, and it worked.

Falcon Horus
November 5th, 2017, 03:09 AM
That's why I'm very much ignoring the app and its "forum". I was half afraid my post would get some negative criticism even here, so I was prepared to apologize for ranting. It's just that, as a devoted fan I can't get it why other "devoted fans" would like SG:O so much. I read a lot of tweets from Stargate Command and the replies to it from so-called "fans" who love what they are doing. I just don't get it. I understand if people like it. Maybe I can even get to like it, but on it's own, not as a "proper continuation of the Stargate franchise that stays true to its canon". I just can't see why it would be a proper continuation. I don't really have anything against prequels and miniseries or webseries, it's purely the way MGM is going about this and the writing on SG:O.

I'm actually considering unfollowing Stargate on Facebook and Twitter, uninstalling the app completely and unsubscribing every newsletter from MGM or Stargate. I don't want anything to do any more with MGM or Stargate Origins and the so-called "fans".

It's like looking into a mirror... :p ...though I don't follow Stargate-related pages on Facebook, and on Twitter I follow three, which does include Stargate Command. The other two are Gateworld and Stargate Fans United whose owner writes articles for GW.

I uninstalled the app cause it was crashing more than it was working and draining my battery dry, plus the poor quality and off it went. Put a hiking app in its place. :p

DrMckay
November 5th, 2017, 04:08 AM
From what I can gather, SG:O is an alternate timeline, and I'm down with that, make it good, make it stargate and I have no problems, but DON'T tell me it's SG-1 or SGA , or even SGU.

Yeah, but making an alternate timeline and then drawing fans to your platform by putting interviews on there with actors of sg1?

Doesn't seem right either does it?
I can certainly understand the sentiment above, about turning away from the franchise.
I'm starting to detest every aspect of it in its current direction and format.

They've taken something great and turned it around in a commercial monstrosity.

Shame really, but can't say it's coming as a surprise.

Falcon Horus
November 5th, 2017, 10:37 AM
...drawing fans to your platform by putting interviews on there with actors of sg1?

For the record, those Dial Home interviews can only be watched with all-access pass so at the moment they care more about the money than drawing in "fans".

Raziel
December 4th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Wow, long time not been here, hey,
have you seen this update on the upcoming series?
https://nerdist.com/stargate-origins-teaser-first-look/

DrMckay
December 4th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Wow, long time not been here, hey,

Welcome back. Can't speak for the entire forum, but don't think you'll find a lot of lovers of this "relaunch" in this specific thread :)

Platschu
December 4th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Don't misrunderstand my words. I always loved Stargate. I am still one of the biggest fan in Hungary as I am the moderator of the Hungarian fandom. Most of the Hungarians fan still love this universe and no new scifi show could fill the empty hole since they are not on air. Stargate is well respected amongs the scifi fans in Hungary. We have waited so long for some new SG adventures when they promised they will make 2 DVD movies every year in 2008. But since that even our forum is dead quiet. Fans have grown up, graduated from university or established families etc. But I am sure the flame of SG enthusiasm will come back if we get a good quality SG series.

But let's face it... Stargate : Universe or Stargate : Atlantis won't be continued. They sold and destroyed the main set. So even if magically MGM would give green light for a movies and maybe they would invest 8-10 million dollar into a new SG TV movie, the creators simply can't afford to rebuild the Atlantis and Destiny sets. If I remember well the SG:A set used to cost 5 million dollars. The Ori village was nearly 2 million dollars while an average SG episode cost 2-2,5 millions, so that is the reason they were forced to write so many lowbudget or "bottle" episodes. They could skip the problem of rebuilding of the sets with clever writing, but it wouldn't be the same.

So back to Stargate : Originals. I really want to love it, but somehow a little bell is just nonstoply ringing. It already sounds like a low-budget webseries, like a last little glimpse of Stargate, before they close down or hopefully sell the whole franchise. I always hoped in a new SG movie or spinoff, but this safety game is not really what the fans expected. Even the website is odd with these restrictions... So what do they want? Earn money or not? Why do they shut the rest of the world out? If they believe in the success of SG:O, then why have they not ordered it as a mini series (like 4 or 6 episodes). I am a bit sceptical that 100 mins is enough to establish a new show especially if the chosen lucky fans get in pieces.

Back to the stargate question. If you really want a new stargate in this new show then maybe they could use the gate from the posters of the Stargate movie. That was the one which had hieroglyphs on it. On the other hand, why would they use a different type of gate? We need our usual MW gate and a very good explanation why Catherine, her father and her fiance don't remember the activation. Probably it will be a different timeline or they will erase her memories. :D

Falcon Horus
December 4th, 2017, 03:14 PM

Dude, you're running a trailer behind. ;)

And also, unless you're a resident of the USA, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Australia or New-Zealand, you're not going to get access to this webseries.

So back to Stargate : Originals.

It's Origins. ;)

It already sounds like a low-budget webseries...

It is a low-budget, shortform webseries. All of it filmed in one industrial hangar, with probably a few exterior shots on location since we've seen the director looking at location sites in her production diary. But the cast is low-budget, with what's-his-name-who-played-Wraith-Michael probably being the most expensive one in the bunch. The rest of them are no-names in the American industry, including the director.

Even the website is odd with these restrictions...

Both the website and the application were build by TopFan, a relatively small company who specializes in offering companies, sport clubs, bands and musicians, big studios the tools to monetize their fanbase. So yes, the primary target is squeezing every last dollar from the people who are most likely to pay for it -- the dedicated fans.

However, the website and application are a mess. Plenty developers who have pointed out the flaws. I ran the website through an SEO Optimizer and the overall score is in the 60% range which basically means that it needs work. There are bugs, there's no H1-header which is the first thing a Google-crawler would look for, there are frames which are simply out of date as far as websites are concerned, frames also mess with loading times on smartphones.

And then I haven't touched on the quality of the episodes. There's no sound on season 7 of SG-1 and for the longest time there was no sound on season 2 of SGU. Episodes are mislabeled, or are in poor quality. They have the broadcasted episodes which are missing scenes and the reworked version of CotG.

The Dial Home interviews, while also locked behind the geolock, have the first two episodes for free but touch luck for anyone who is using the app on an Android system cause they have no sound. It's been pointed out for over 2 weeks now and it's still not fixed.

The messagefeed is a disaster. There's no way you can have a conversation there, like you can have here. And starting a thread means you can write 100 characters (less than the original 140 on twitter for cryin' out loud) and then you have to continue in the comments. However, writing your comment is writing your lines in an editor that only shows a single line. Most annoying. Also, no edit-button available, and no way to delete a post (comments yes, posts no). No moderation so spammers have free reign and therefore the same images are posted over and over and over again.

Most of the people who signed up in September are long gone, and haven't bothered sticking around.

That whole line about MGM thanking the fans is BS, and garnering interest for more Origin-stories is also BS. They already know what the fixed audience will be, and the only time the rest of us poor sods can show that there are more people interested still in Stargate than the chosen few, is when those 10-minute episodes are released. As the first two are free, it would be prudent to say, that crashing the site from everywhere that isn't the 6 countries could actually give us access next time. However, even that will not happen since the streaming service goes away on May 15, 2018 and nobody knows what MGM is planning after that day.

I sent an email to an MGM-person mentioned on the presspage, and beyond a Thanksgiving Out-of-Office I have had no reply. And yes, I was polite.

Back to the stargate question. If you really want a new stargate in this new show then maybe they could use the gate from the posters of the Stargate movie. That was the one which had hieroglyphs on it. On the other hand, why would they use a different type of gate? We need our usual MW gate and a very good explanation why Catherine, her father and her fiance don't remember the activation. Probably it will be a different timeline or they will erase her memories. :D

I think they are about to ignore the tv-franchise, and much like Devlin and Emmerich wanted to do, start over. And you can bet that won't go down well.

Elite Anubis Guard
December 5th, 2017, 01:09 AM
Some new production stills of the cast - https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds/meet-key-cast-and-crew-in-new-stargate-origins-set-photos

And a couple of other diary type articles -
https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds/stargate-origins-actor-s-view-our-amazing-director
https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds/stargate-origins-actor-s-view-getting-the-part

Raziel
December 5th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Oh, sorry, do you have the newest trailer? Like I said, long time, I've been dormant for years in the fandom
and I'm a dudette, not a dude and yes, I have access to contents in the USA ;)

Falcon Horus
December 6th, 2017, 04:20 AM
Oh, sorry, do you have the newest trailer? Like I said, long time, I've been dormant for years in the fandom

Ah... hang on, I think Gateworld posted a link to the Behind-the-scenes-slash-trailer-slash-first-look...

I think this is the one (https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/10/stargate-origins-watch-first-look-teaser/)-- though I'm at work and videos are blocked here.
If it's the teaser still, then I reccommed surfing to the Stargate Command website and browse their newsfeed. It's definitely there.

and I'm a dudette, not a dude and yes, I have access to contents in the USA ;)

My "dude" is genderneutral... :p

Ah well ... I'm not, so pardon my cynical sarcasm.

Gatefan1976
December 6th, 2017, 05:10 AM
Is there such a thing as Dude-ette?
I always thought the female term for dude was chick?

Falcon Horus
December 6th, 2017, 05:58 AM
No idea. :p

DrMckay
December 8th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Oh boy, just saw on twitter that shooting on origins wrapped...

Wonder what that will give (or not really to be honest...).

thekillman
December 8th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Is there such a thing as Dude-ette?
I always thought the female term for dude was chick?

"Dude" has gone through so many iterations, i think it can mean anything at this point.

Gatefan1976
December 8th, 2017, 12:35 PM
"Dude" has gone through so many iterations, i think it can mean anything at this point.

Personally, I'm like FH in that I use dude as a gender neutral term, but yeah.

Platschu
December 8th, 2017, 12:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4agbnIv_fTQ

I don't want to make early pre-judgements, but this one looks horrible. :( The "actors" are terrible like in a fan movie.... The gate looks so plastic and different. The only good thing was the sand dunes. I am really-really disappointed what I have seen so far. :(

DrMckay
December 8th, 2017, 12:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4agbnIv_fTQ

I don't want to make early pre-judgements, but this one looks horrible. :( The "actors" are terrible like in a fan movie.... The gate looks so plastic and different. The only good thing was the sand dunes. I am really-really disappointed what I have seen so far. :(

Well, what can I say but "told you so". Personnally it meets all my expectations up until now.

And trust me, those expectations were very low. Am I glad I uninstalled the app weeks ago and never paid for this.

To quote someone on another forum: quality- and budget-wise it looks like something straight from the disney channel.

Think some first year directing students could pull this off too.

Platschu
December 8th, 2017, 01:07 PM
At least the actress looks okay who plays Catherine and obviosly Connor T is a great actor. But everyone else? I couldn't decide if it is a drama or a comedy or a mix of styles? Seriously, I don't want to believe that MGM couldn't afford more money to hire better actors and crew.

I really hope this series won't be the last series in the franchise. I wish they sold the brand to Joe Flannigan or any other tv network who would invest enough money into it.

DrMckay
December 8th, 2017, 01:13 PM
For me it's still not clear where they are going with this.

Forget all the official typical corporate marketing bull-sh*t like "it's for the fans", "because we care", ... None of their actions support this until now. None of their commitment, budget- and quality-wise, supports this.

It's basically a money-grab at the expense of, excuse me but can't put it any more nicely, the naive spectrum of the fan community.
Can't really see it any other way.

Platschu
December 10th, 2017, 12:49 AM
2 days have passed and nobody commented. Is the GateWorld really so abadonned by the fans? :( I will give a chance to the Stargate : Origins, but I am still not convinced it will be okay as well.

Honestly the Stargate : Command website started really lately. I have got all the official DVDs at home, so why would I pay for it? Most of the articles or videos will be readable online anyway. If they could invest money in increasing of the picture quality for SG-1 season 1-7 that could be way to convince the fans to join.

It could have worked on that way that they release new source materials which are part of the SG canon. We could have read the official SGC or Homeworld or Atlantis files, so we could read the report of other teams like official novellas / fan fictions. This way they could introduce new Goa'uld Systemlords, description of planets and races. So give some additional information content about the SG world...

Az'ryel
December 10th, 2017, 03:30 AM
At least the actress looks okay who plays Catherine and obviosly Connor T is a great actor. But everyone else? I couldn't decide if it is a drama or a comedy or a mix of styles? Seriously, I don't want to believe that MGM couldn't afford more money to hire better actors and crew.

I really hope this series won't be the last series in the franchise. I wish they sold the brand to Joe Flannigan or any other tv network who would invest enough money into it.

Maybe they just do not want to spend more money to get other good actors and crew, put in a few that people like and hope that will be enough to get the fans back to pay for it.

But then again if that theory is right it does not make sense to exclude some of the fans from even getting the chance to pay for the show

But as DrMckay says, the fans don't matter anymore, it is just the money that does, and this means invest as less money as you can to get out the most of it

DrMckay
December 10th, 2017, 07:03 AM
I still think the best we can hope for is: this completely fails, MGM considers the franchise dead, cuts its losses and decides to sell the franchise on.

Then hopefully it gets in the hands of someone who does realize the potential and has the resources plus is not afraid to use them.

Or worst case scenario: this eventually leads to the dreaded Emmerich-reboot with a new trilogy that erases canon until now, ugh...

Platschu
December 10th, 2017, 09:20 AM
I don't want to hope that this new SG show will fail. I am still a loyal fan, but it doesn't reach my expectations.

Stargate : Worlds would have been a great addition to this world. The first drawings looked so cool : new Goa'uld clothes, Asgard techs. But then it was cancelled before they could finish it. I believe that game could have saved the live-action SG shows. Or if they could make an SG:A season 6 and SG:U season 1 at the same time.

Stargate is such an amazing tool to tell stories as once Mr. Cooper said in an interview. It is really rare opportunity to bring the viewers to an other planet without space ships. The writers could tell us so many different stories with this plot device while the core, the essence of our current present could be still there, so the viewers could feel that this could really happen now and not in the distant future.

I watch Star Trek : Discovery at the moment and you can clearly see how beautifully it was filmed. Amazing special effects in every episode, really a movie quality. I know that they have a budget of 8-9 million dollars / episode what an SG has never had. I can only imagine what would happen if Netflix could buy the right of Stargate.

Az'ryel
December 10th, 2017, 09:46 AM
I still think the best we can hope for is: this completely fails, MGM considers the franchise dead, cuts its losses and decides to sell the franchise on.

Then hopefully it gets in the hands of someone who does realize the potential and has the resources plus is not afraid to use them.

Or worst case scenario: this eventually leads to the dreaded Emmerich-reboot with a new trilogy that erases canon until now, ugh...

I hope your worst scenario won't happen because to eraase what is canon in case of such a long running franchise as SG would be really bad

But if SG is sold to a company that takes better care of it and the fans maybe even, that would be great it still has so much of potential that is waiting to be used, and that is not with Orgins for sure

Falcon Horus
December 11th, 2017, 06:14 AM
2 days have passed and nobody commented. Is the GateWorld really so abadonned by the fans? :( I will give a chance to the Stargate : Origins, but I am still not convinced it will be okay as well.

I was out of reach of internet at a friend's new place. Played in the snow and made a snowman. I had no time for Stargate shenanigans. :p
Therefore, I haven't actually seen the footage yet.

Honestly the Stargate : Command website started really lately. I have got all the official DVDs at home, so why would I pay for it? Most of the articles or videos will be readable online anyway. If they could invest money in increasing of the picture quality for SG-1 season 1-7 that could be way to convince the fans to join.

It wasn't too late, it was timed all wrong and not beta-tested so it was, and still is, bugged as hell.

The ill-timing of Origins not starting when the app/website started, that's what I would call bad marketing, but it is what it is. Nothing can be done about that now.

The fact also that quality is generally better on real streamingservices like Hulu and Netflix, or even on DVD. And that they only have the broadcasted episodes is enough to question the sincerity of the service. I mean, let's not forget that by the end of May 15, 2018 the streaming service will actually go away and all that remains is the newsfeed, the quizzes, the polls and the message board. That simply won't keep that website afloat -- not by a long shot.

jelgate
December 11th, 2017, 06:34 AM
Something doesn't make sense here. FH has friends?

I think a lot of people have lost interest because of how poorly MGM managed the Command app. I don't expect Origins to sell that well. But everyone once in awhile I'm wrong. I refer to the FH friends thing

Falcon Horus
December 11th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I have 3 real life friends, and 1 imaginary one. :p

Gatefan1976
December 11th, 2017, 10:47 AM
HEY!!!
I'm not imaginary :(

jelgate
December 11th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Neither am I. I'm just an all powerful bacon deity

Gatefan1976
December 11th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Not imaginary, just delusional :lol:

jelgate
December 11th, 2017, 11:18 AM
That's called jealousy

Gatefan1976
December 11th, 2017, 11:46 AM
That's called jealousy

Bah, I have your heart in a jar, you had to sell it to me to get your bacon.

jelgate
December 11th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Id do anything for more bacon

Gatefan1976
December 11th, 2017, 11:59 AM
But I already have what I wanted, you will need to find a new............ attorney for that :P

Falcon Horus
December 12th, 2017, 02:18 AM
HEY!!!
I'm not imaginary :(

No, you are most certainly not imaginary... :p

Virtual friends are plenty and more than I can count. :D

thekillman
December 12th, 2017, 09:13 AM

In all likelyhood, MGM would shelve the series and we're looking at another 10+ years before anything new starts. Like i said years ago, if SGU failed it meant the series would be shelved. Some people hoped like you did, but when SGU was cancelled so was the entirety of stargate. If SGO fails, then MGM will indeed cut their losses, but they'll just shelve it for future use, probably until some legal obligation to make a show out of it (say, because copyright or branding licenses run out).

lightsyder
December 12th, 2017, 10:05 AM
As much as I love Stargate I don’t know if it has enough name recognition to get anyone that could do it justice a good reason to buy it

Az'ryel
December 12th, 2017, 11:03 AM
As much as I love Stargate I don’t know if it has enough name recognition to get anyone that could do it justice a good reason to buy it

I think it does have the weight and with that, MGM is calculating surely as well as the fact that the time since the last SG was long, even though some people did not like SGU all too much.
I do not say it is a bad thing to be hyped for SG:O and wanting to watch it, but as much as I have seen and read so far, it is more the name that's supposed to make fans love it than the quality

lightsyder
December 12th, 2017, 11:13 AM
I hope Origins does well and doesn’t mess the continuity up too much. I really think mgm has plans to move forward if this succeeds. So, I’ll pay the $20 and check it out. I’ve spent more on dumber stuff over the years...lol

OldManMeeseeks
December 12th, 2017, 12:31 PM
I had to dust off the old computer when I saw that MGM was willing to spend money on the franchise again.

I remember when SGA was first detailed...I remember the negative backlash it got.

I remember when SGU was announced...people called it Stargate: 90410, and admittedly, it had to grow on me....but it eventually did.

And here...close to 10 years later...my favorite franchise is rumbling again, rumbling when I was convinced it was dead and gone.

I, for one, am extremely excited for Origins. Because, at the end of the day, seeing the Ol'Orifice standing there again...that's gonna be quite a sight.

Falcon Horus
December 12th, 2017, 01:35 PM
I hope Origins does well and doesn’t mess the continuity up too much. I really think mgm has plans to move forward if this succeeds. So, I’ll pay the $20 and check it out. I’ve spent more on dumber stuff over the years...lol

But that's the thing -- you are paying 20 dollars for what most fans won't get to see. MGM will only be interested in the numbers for the 1st 20 minutes because so far those are the only ones free for all. Those will represent the "garnering interest"-part. The other 80 minutes will have a fixed audience, assuming every premium account will stream the episodes.

Platschu
December 12th, 2017, 02:30 PM
I, for one, am extremely excited for Origins. Because, at the end of the day, seeing the Ol'Orifice standing there again...that's gonna be quite a sight.
Hopefully they will keep the sound effects for dialing and kawoosh what they have established and used in SG-1.

Az'ryel
December 13th, 2017, 02:16 AM
But that's the thing -- you are paying 20 dollars for what most fans won't get to see. MGM will only be interested in the numbers for the 1st 20 minutes because so far those are the only ones free for all. Those will represent the "garnering interest"-part. The other 80 minutes will have a fixed audience, assuming every premium account will stream the episodes.

It does not even matter if those people with the premium membership stream the ep, they have payed already so it is fixed income for MGM no matter what they deliver. So only the first free time would have to be great to make people consider watching the rest

I however cross fingers for everyone who is deciding to pay those $20 that you won't be disappointed

Falcon Horus
December 13th, 2017, 02:34 AM
I had to dust off the old computer when I saw that MGM was willing to spend money on the franchise again.

Is it a Commodore 64?

:p

Have you paid your 20 dollar yet?
Are you able to pay the fee to watch Origins?

Cause with all the excitement a lot of people seem to forget that half the fans who would probably be interested as well are excluded from the new show, and have to "suffer" the "excitement" anyway.

But I swear, the first one to spoil the damn thing for me, will get every Avengers/Marvel/DC-film spoiled from now until eternity -- cause we get them before the US. :p

It does not even matter if those people with the premium membership stream the ep, they have payed already so it is fixed income for MGM no matter what they deliver. So only the first free time would have to be great to make people consider watching the rest

Good point, hadn't thought about it that way.

I however cross fingers for everyone who is deciding to pay those $20 that you won't be disappointed

Considering plenty are already disappointed about the app and its many bugs, I'd say it'll be a miracle if they stick around long enough for their 20 dollar to be worth it.

lightsyder
December 13th, 2017, 05:09 AM
The “forum” on the app is indeed a joke. Full of pointless posts fishing for command points to level up for no reason...lol

Az'ryel
December 13th, 2017, 05:13 AM
Considering plenty are already disappointed about the app and its many bugs, I'd say it'll be a miracle if they stick around long enough for their 20 dollar to be worth it.

I agree with you on that, it would be just sad if people will pay and look forward to something great only to be disappointed

The “forum” on the app is indeed a joke. Full of pointless posts fishing for command points to level up for no reason...lol

I know forums of that kind, it is quantity instead of quality, no places where I like to be at

Falcon Horus
December 13th, 2017, 06:21 AM

And there's absolutely nothing past Ascension status, and the coins just sit there, doing absolutely nothing.

I agree with you on that, it would be just sad if people will pay and look forward to something great only to be disappointed

Most were already disappointed when they signed up the moment that the website/app was going live, that Origins was in fact not even available. Hell, it hadn't even been filmed yet.

I'm really curious about what will happen after May 15, 2018.
If the streaming service really goes away in its entirety, I predict the website will dead and buried a month later.

I know forums of that kind, it is quantity instead of quality, no places where I like to be at

It's a messagefeed. Can't call that a forum.
There's a character limit (I kid you not) of 100 characters when you start a new thread via the website, 200 if you use the app on Android, and 100 for iOS. There's no editbutton. You can upvote a comment or downvote one (and boy, some really like to downvote to their heart's content). Both votes show up as "likes" -- yes, even the downvotes.

When writing a reply to a post, you can only see one line of your reply, not like here where you can see 16 or so lines. Which makes long posts really hard to do.

And the website loads really, really, really, really slow on smartphone. I stopped using the app because it crashed every 5 minutes. The website and app are riddled with bugs.

Az'ryel
December 13th, 2017, 06:59 AM
And there's absolutely nothing past Ascension status, and the coins just sit there, doing absolutely nothing.

Most were already disappointed when they signed up the moment that the website/app was going live, that Origins was in fact not even available. Hell, it hadn't even been filmed yet.

I'm really curious about what will happen after May 15, 2018.
If the streaming service really goes away in its entirety, I predict the website will dead and buried a month later.

It's a messagefeed. Can't call that a forum.
There's a character limit (I kid you not) of 100 characters when you start a new thread via the website, 200 if you use the app on Android, and 100 for iOS. There's no editbutton. You can upvote a comment or downvote one (and boy, some really like to downvote to their heart's content). Both votes show up as "likes" -- yes, even the downvotes.

When writing a reply to a post, you can only see one line of your reply, not like here where you can see 16 or so lines. Which makes long posts really hard to do.

And the website loads really, really, really, really slow on smartphone. I stopped using the app because it crashed every 5 minutes. The website and app are riddled with bugs.

The whole thing, website, app and the show seems to me like a project without heart and care being an attempt to get some more coin from a franchise that is loved by many people
It is easier to make people willing to pay for something new if it has an old name they love, just in hopes it will be good again
That alone is enough to make people invest their money and once that is done, it does not matter what quality the fans will get, since they have already paid, that is unless you are a fan, then of course it does matter. But this project does not seem to be made for fans anyway

Falcon Horus
December 13th, 2017, 12:21 PM
But this project does not seem to be made for fans anyway

If it was, then all fans would have access to it.

jelgate
December 13th, 2017, 12:43 PM
If it was, then all fans would have access to it.

That is a fantasy and you know it

Falcon Horus
December 13th, 2017, 01:48 PM
That is a fantasy and you know it

Of course, I do. I'm just saying.

Az'ryel
December 14th, 2017, 02:04 AM
Of course, I do. I'm just saying.

I guess everyone here knows, sadly, but it is a nice fantasy FH

Though I miss the time without streaming when it just was enough to have normal TV program to watch such shows

Falcon Horus
December 14th, 2017, 03:49 AM
I guess everyone here knows, sadly, but it is a nice fantasy FH

Thanks. :p

ScifigirlSG
December 19th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Feb 15, 2018 Stargate: Origins premiers.

DrMckay
December 19th, 2017, 12:55 PM

Well good for them. Me, I'm looking forward to starting my dvd boxes of battlestar galactica and westworld that just arrived.

Now there at least is the result of some decent budget and commitment :)

Falcon Horus
December 19th, 2017, 02:54 PM
STAR WARS!!!

All I can think of right now... and hopefully May 2018 or thereabouts the new Lego Star Wars game from The Last Jedi. :D

Stargate can die a quiet death in February.

Elite Anubis Guard
December 19th, 2017, 11:57 PM

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing what they come up with! :)

Falcon Horus
December 20th, 2017, 04:34 AM
Excellent! Looking forward to seeing what they come up with! :)

Err... "come up with"? They've already came up with something. :p

And since MGM doesn't find me worthy, I don't find them worthy either to entice me with whatever it is they came up with. ;)

My love for Stargate has cooled very much since they came up with this brilliant "lock-half-the-world-out" idea. I feel more inclusive in the Star Wars fandom and I'm not even a Rebel Legion member of a 501st member.

NickEast
December 20th, 2017, 08:13 AM
So, new teaser on YT. Suddenly, there's Nazis (there were no Nazis in Egypt in the 1930s, and we know the Stargate was brought to America in 1939). And there's a notebook with the glyphs, and the names of the constellations next to them (but it was Daniel who identified the glyphs as constellations in 1994/5, with Catherine being really really surprised and astonished that Daniel figured out in two weeks what they couldn't in two years, General West's words).

Stargate is dead. Even if there are some kind of "magic" solutions that "fix" these "errors" so it all happens as we know it happened, I feel disappointed, lied to, and most of all, betrayed, by people who keep saying they intend to do it "right". And there's nothing MGM can do to fix that. Right now, even though it may actually make it worse, I wish that Fox had bought MGM when the latter was in financial difficulty, so that Disney now gets the rights. (Somehow, I feel especially Carter, Vala and Teyla would make fine Disney princesses :jack_new_anime18:)

Falcon Horus
December 20th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Well, maybe my wild thought about it not actually being in either movie or serie universe wasn't so wild after all... hate it though.

But the sales pitch "we're working on making it worldwide available" has lost its appeal. It still isn't, doesn't look like it will so as far as I'm concerned it can die in a corner in one of the 6 countries.

DrMckay
December 20th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Well, maybe my wild thought about it not actually being in either movie or serie universe wasn't so wild after all... hate it though.

But the sales pitch "we're working on making it worldwide available" has lost its appeal. It still isn't, doesn't look like it will so as far as I'm concerned it can die in a corner in one of the 6 countries.

Exactly.
Looking at the trailer, the franchise has gone from a grade A to a grade C.

Sorry, but there is other scifi and non-scifi stuff out there that is more worth my time and money than this.

Give me a call when they decide to do a full tv series again, for everyone, with a decent budget and oh yeah, none of this "might be canon, might be outside of it" crap like Falcon says. No canon, count me out.

Now, when are they finally releasing the expanse on dvd in my region? :)

Falcon Horus
December 20th, 2017, 01:29 PM
I watched the teaser, and boy... if I ever find out who made this teaser, I'm gonna hit them over the head with my Sodan staff weapon (full resin so it'll hurt a wee bit).

Put some effort into it, damn it. Even if I'm excluded, at least try to be captivating. I felt nothing, no excitement, no wander, nothing... My hairs should have gone aloft with Catherine's anguished cry out to her father. The Nazi soldier being all smug should have made me want to smack him (with my Sodan weapon). Even Prof Langford's 'you're too much like your mother' felt weak...

And the soundtrack... ugh... there's such brilliant Stargate music out there, cause the soundtracks are well done. Dare to use it, and if you don't want to use that, at least use something that strengthens the image.

Yes, I'm picky -- deal with it. I want to be captivated, and I want to be interested (even if I'm still excluded -- I want to tell the world to give it a try... to check it out if they can -- but nope... not happening).

Black Panther's trailer had my jaw on the floor, and Infinity Wars made me want to watch the movie now.

DrMckay
December 20th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Been getting into legends of tomorrow, flash and arrow here lately. And although those aren't exactly grade A in my opinion, they look a hell of a lot more entertaining and made with more quality than this.

And the concept... Djeez, Indiana Stargate for the win, I mean fail.

For a moment I was thinking I hit the wrong link and was looking at the trailer of raiders of the lost ark or the last crusade.

Also looks like they're using established cannon for toilet paper.

Got the impression on reddit too that a lot more fans are speaking up negatively there compared to the start a few months ago.

Guess they're finally waking up.

DrMckay
December 20th, 2017, 01:44 PM
I watched the teaser, and boy... if I ever find out who made this teaser, I'm gonna hit them over the head with my Sodan staff weapon (full resin so it'll hurt a wee bit).

Put some effort into it, damn it. Even if I'm excluded, at least try to be captivating. I felt nothing, no excitement, no wander, nothing... My hairs should have gone aloft with Catherine's anguished cry out to her father. The Nazi soldier being all smug should have made me want to smack him (with my Sodan weapon). Even Prof Langford's 'you're too much like your mother' felt weak...

And the soundtrack... ugh... there's such brilliant Stargate music out there, cause the soundtracks are well done. Dare to use it, and if you don't want to use that, at least use something that strengthens the image.

Yes, I'm picky -- deal with it. I want to be captivated, and I want to be interested (even if I'm still excluded -- I want to tell the world to give it a try... to check it out if they can -- but nope... not happening).

Black Panther's trailer had my jaw on the floor, and Infinity Wars made me want to watch the movie now.

Infinity wars, looks so nice.

And what about that thor ragnarok trailer? Damn!! Haven't enjoyed a movie like that in years!

Don't even want to know how often I rewatched that trailer :D

Was just sublime!

Falcon Horus
December 20th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Been getting into legends of tomorrow, flash and arrow here lately. And although those aren't exactly grade A in my opinion, they look a hell of a lot more entertaining and made with more quality than this.

Legends of Tomorrow is hilarious... I love that show so much. :p

mooseman
December 20th, 2017, 02:34 PM
So, new teaser on YT. Suddenly, there's Nazis (there were no Nazis in Egypt in the 1930s, and we know the Stargate was brought to America in 1939). And there's a notebook with the glyphs, and the names of the constellations next to them (but it was Daniel who identified the glyphs as constellations in 1994/5, with Catherine being really really surprised and astonished that Daniel figured out in two weeks what they couldn't in two years, General West's words).

Eh, I'm okay with Nazis being in Egypt, I didn't complain about them in Raiders of the Lost Ark. And I could understand the notebook with the Abydos address IF Catherine never sees it. Jack and Daniel admit the records they get about the early Stargate experiments may be incomplete ("Torment of Tantalus"), so it very well might have been lost. Yeah, I know I'm grasping at straws.

Sheesh, I'm trying to be optimistic about this...but they're making it really hard.

Falcon Horus
December 20th, 2017, 03:06 PM
I'm looking at the image now -- could be anyone's hands, but I have a dark feeling they're Catherine's (or a 2nd unit Catherine's).

NickEast
December 21st, 2017, 01:04 AM
I don't like Catherine feigning ignorance or having forgotten it, because that's a cheat much like the "dream ending" that's pretty much universally hated.

And if she did know, why would she be wasting time to find a small-time archaeologist that nobody knows and waste years and billions of US dollars to "try" and get the gate to work? Why would she, even after the gate turned on, or even after she learns about Ernest Littlefield, not come forward with the truth? Why would she still be fascinated and worried about stepping through the gate, if she had already done that? And most of all, why does her father allow her to go anywhere near the Stargate in the 30's, while we know from "Torment of Tantalus" that he believed the whole research project about the "Door to Heaven" was no place for a young woman, and she had to "work" through Ernest to at least get some involvement (like her thought to use either alternating or direct current, can't remember which, to power the gate). Why would she have to struggle against her father if she had worked with him on the Stargate, excuse me, "Door to Heaven" in the 30's?

I mean, whatever solution they have to make it "fit" is a cheat, and nobody likes cheats when it comes to storytelling, except those that make money out of it. And it still doesn't explain why the Stargate looks different. Yes, all gate props were sold/destroyed, so they had to build a new one, but why not build it right? Someone on Reddit also said it had only 36 symbols. When I look at it again, it does indeed appear to have only 36 instead of 39. Again, hack.

People keep saying to support it anyway, so we get more Stargate in the future. But if MGM lost their minds and it appears that whoever is in charge never saw any of the seventeen seasons and three films that came before, I don't trust them to do it right. If they did watch any of the shows, then it's even worse, because why would they do this if they know that it doesn't fit canon, without cheating? I don't trust them with my money any longer. I was happy to pay over 5000 euros to get all fifteen seasons (SG-1/SGA, 50 euro per season) because I knew I loved it. This I don't like at all, so I don't trust them anymore to make any kind of Stargate show/film.

I hate to say it, but I would have like Emmerich's reboot trilogy at lot more. At least he doesn't lie about making the films different that the existing franchise, and making them a reboot. We all know how "good" his films are, we know his reputation, so at least he's fair. But this makes my fanblood boil.

Az'ryel
December 21st, 2017, 01:15 AM
It is so annoying how the SG Command keeps saying they are working so hard for the fans, but then in the same reply say "the first 2.episodes are available to all fans worldwide"
So ridiculous, the only thing they work hard for is milking the Stargate cow, if you ask me, and not the fans. If they did, everything about SG:O and the show itself would be available to all fans everywhere for free. That is what I would call "working for the fans"

Falcon Horus
December 21st, 2017, 01:49 AM
People keep saying to support it anyway, so we get more Stargate in the future.

Support how?
I'm not watching 20 minutes and then pretend I'm okay with 80 minutes I have no access to. Not how it works, guys.
Then again, there are still a lot of people out there who don't know, or willfully ignore that there are a lot of "fans" out there who have no legal access to the new content, and could not support it even if they wanted to.

I saw Sam Toles, the managing director of digital media for MGM, reply to a Stargate Origins related tweet from someone, who tagged him and Morgan Bryce (the director) and he was spouting his "For the Fans"-line -- P'd me off like you had no idea. For the fans -- not if you're deliberately cutting off a great many of them, whom you therefore do not consider fans under the same umbrella.

It is so annoying how the SG Command keeps saying they are working so hard for the fans, but then in the same reply say "the first 2.episodes are available to all fans worldwide"

Therefore, I'm fairly certain there is nothing happening behind the scenes.

So ridiculous, the only thing they work hard for is milking the Stargate cow, if you ask me, and not the fans. If they did, everything about SG:O and the show itself would be available to all fans everywhere for free. That is what I would call "working for the fans"

It's like I mentioned on twitter: they are dangling an open wormhole in front of the worldwide fans. They can see it, touch it but they can't walk through.

Eventually, you simply walk away... If we're not good enough, than our money's not going to line your pockets.

Az'ryel
December 21st, 2017, 01:54 AM
Yes, I am afraid you are right about that there is nothing really being worked on

And I agree, my money is also not going into their pockets, I am not a donkey the can bait with that "2 episode for free carrot" hanging in front of my nose to run for them

Falcon Horus
December 21st, 2017, 02:00 AM
And I agree, my money is also not going into their pockets, I am not a donkey the can bait with that "2 episode for free carrot" hanging in front of my nose to run for them

I feel a manip coming on... :p

Falcon Horus
December 23rd, 2017, 05:10 PM
Goddammit, for reasons I care not to elaborate on, I'm even more PO'd I'm not allowed to legally watch Origins (cause for the same above reasons I really want to).

mooseman
December 23rd, 2017, 07:31 PM
You're pissed because you won't be able to watch the SGC streaming service implodes in realtime when Origins premieres? ;)

Falcon Horus
December 24th, 2017, 05:01 AM
You're pissed because you won't be able to watch the SGC streaming service implodes in realtime when Origins premieres? ;)

:lol:

Not entirely the reason but it sure would be fun... :p ...and I might miss that.

However, if all goes according to plan, it's actually the first 2 episodes that could entirely implode the website and I could so definitely be down for that crashing-event.

Elite Anubis Guard
December 24th, 2017, 07:27 AM
Always makes me happy to see the spiteful nature of "fans". Yeah, it sucks that unfortunately SGC doesn't support your region but that's no reason to wish ill-fate on everyone else.

Falcon Horus
December 24th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Always makes me happy to see the spiteful nature of "fans". Yeah, it sucks that unfortunately SGC doesn't support your region but that's no reason to wish ill-fate on everyone else.

You misunderstand me, but please behave like the entitled fan...

I do not wish it to fail. On the contrary, it shouldn't fail at all, but perhaps you haven't seen the state the app/website is in and how many complaints there are concerning the audio, the video playback, the access or the no access. People paid money for it and they expect something in return which makes that money worth it. I don't know about you, but when I pay for something I expect it to work and to give me what was advertised. If that doesn't happen, then your reputation will not survive for very long and there's nothing worse than having to proof your product does what it's supposed to do when it has failed to deliver before.

And to the mattter of support to my region -- this isn't about support. This is about being deliberately geoblocked from a webseries which, by the way, MGM claims is "For the Fans" -- Sam Toles continues to use it in his tweets at this very moment -- a way to thank the fans for more than 20 years of "loyality" to the franchise. Nothing is for the fans if half of them don't matter to you, then the fans are just another way to get more money cause you know they will pay for it.

The very line, I might add, TopFan uses to sell their apps to companies, bands and big sport brands.

As to being able to stream, here's my personal experience for you...

I have asked and received the same generic answer three times now "we are trying to work something out for the fans worldwide, and the first 2 episodes are free". Once in August, once in October and again just a week ago when the teaser came out so that makes 4 months, almost 5 since August and nothing has changed.
It's like dangling an open wormhole in front of a lot of fans. We can see it, touch it, but we are blocked from going through it. That's not making something "For the fans" -- that's just a good sales pitch which worked for the most part. It certainly worked on you but it no longer works for me.

And for the record, if I wanted this to fail I wouldn't have been spending the last couple of nights trying to make the teaser trailer better and more exciting so more people might get interested in it. But go ahead, continue to assume you know everyone's reasons for hating or disliking the workings of Command.

Elite Anubis Guard
December 24th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Considering your last complaints had been in regards to being geolocked, it was a safe assumption to pick on that particular reason for why you'd be "definitely be down for that crashing-event." I know there's plenty of reasons you're unhappy about the series and about SGC. I do read the forums. Your positive comments are few and far between so it's quite easy to believe you have no interest in seeing Origins enjoy any success.

You can play the defensive fan now but what I really dislike seeing is that level of spite wished upon other fans who are able to watch the show through no fault of their own.

Az'ryel
December 24th, 2017, 01:35 PM

And FH did not do that. she s just being annoyed of how the fans are being treated, while they seem to be so important to MGM and SG Command
If you want someone to buy your content you should get it to work properly so it is worth the money spend on it but if things continue like they do now, as FH said, SG:O will most likely die as quick as a candle in a storm
If being a fan means only to have the money to spend on half-hearted looking things, I do not want to be a fan really

Elite Anubis Guard
December 24th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Considering her comment alludes to wanting to see the app crash upon release...yeah, she was wishing ill-fate on others. It's not about spending money on half-hearted things. I want Origins to be good. I have concerns and issues with SGC. I just wont go around wishing the site implodes, as it rather mean spirited to others in the fandom and the series in general. I'm already worried Origins isn't going to do well and further push Stargate down.

Elite Anubis Guard
December 25th, 2017, 02:22 PM
There's a quick construction time-lapse of the new Stargate on All Access.