PDA

View Full Version : Stargate: Origins the name of the new TV show?

SG-17
July 19th, 2017, 05:09 PM
From trademark fillings via Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Stargate/comments/6ob2st/stargate_origins_the_new_tv_show/).

http://i.imgur.com/YoXZrJ3.png

"Entertainment services in the nature of a television series and web series featuring science fiction, suspense and drama"

Filed July 13 2017.

SGCPC
July 19th, 2017, 07:46 PM
That is some research

Niximus
July 19th, 2017, 09:22 PM
I really hope so!

garhkal
July 19th, 2017, 11:21 PM
Not seeing anything when i bing search it, other than this thread, and that rededit post..

Arend(BE)
July 20th, 2017, 12:48 AM
Not seeing anything when i bing search it, other than this thread, and that rededit post..
you need to search on the United States Patent and Trademark Office's main web site.
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4809%3Arn7t3d.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=stargate&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

Elite Anubis Guard
July 20th, 2017, 01:28 AM
Curious. Prequel show, perhaps?

Gatefan1976
July 20th, 2017, 01:39 AM
I put this over on the other thread:
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt5760954/

DigiFluid
July 20th, 2017, 04:13 AM
This came up in another thread (https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/91974-Stargate-Origins) a few months ago. It was nonsense then, and as the only "source" here is Reddit, I'm inclined to think it's still nonsense.

It'd be nice to be wrong, but the 'evidence' so far holds about as much water as the proverbial deranged homeless man ranting about the end of the world.

RickWesten
July 20th, 2017, 04:53 AM
Could Stargate Command and Stargate Origins be différents projects ?

SG-17
July 20th, 2017, 05:27 AM
This came up in another thread (https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/91974-Stargate-Origins) a few months ago. It was nonsense then, and as the only "source" here is Reddit, I'm inclined to think it's still nonsense.

It'd be nice to be wrong, but the 'evidence' so far holds about as much water as the proverbial deranged homeless man ranting about the end of the world.
You can see it for yourself on the Patent and Trademark Office website. Just search Stargate Origins.
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4806:xh7mvv.1.1

I put this over on the other thread:
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt5760954/
Totally fake, a joke entry someone made.

Could Stargate Command and Stargate Origins be différents projects ?
If you search for Stargate Command at the Patent Office website it looks like some sort of multimedia initiative or streaming service.

Arend(BE)
July 20th, 2017, 05:32 AM

Agreed the the imdb entry is nonsense, but the trademark located at the United States Patent and Trademark Office isn't.

I tried to post a direct link here earlier but since that did not work:
Go to the website https://www.uspto.gov/trademark click on Search trademark database then click on search trademarks (under the "Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)" section) then click on Basic Word Mark Search (New User), enter stargate as your search term and you will see the trademark

lightsyder
July 20th, 2017, 05:36 AM
Maybe a new show on a new MGM streaming site? Or something animated or CG?

Ugly Pig
July 20th, 2017, 05:49 AM

The IMDB entry is fake as hell (they couldn't even spell "Stargate" right) but the trademark filing by MGM is real (I just looked it up myself). The "Goods and Services" section says "Entertainment services in the nature of a television series and web series featuring science fiction, suspense and drama".

I wasn't getting my hopes up for a new TV series, but it's looking a bit more likely now.

Falcon Horus
July 20th, 2017, 07:05 AM
Err guys, why would MGM have to trademark Stargate when it already is theirs and trademarked?

lightsyder
July 20th, 2017, 07:06 AM
I think the filing was for Stargate origins

NickEast
July 20th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Err guys, why would MGM have to trademark Stargate when it already is theirs and trademarked?

They have the copyrights to Stargate, but they have to trademark a title as "Stargate Origins" separately. Trademark is different than copyright. Only the names ("Stargate SG-1", "Stargate Atlantis" and such) have to be trademarked (either the TM or R mark following the name). Technically, I can use the name Stargate as long as it doesn't refer to this particular concept. In fact, there is a Stargate Studios (responsible for VFX for The Walking Dead), and EVE Online uses a "Stargate" with that exact spelling.

Ugly Pig
July 20th, 2017, 07:17 AM
Stargate Origins. Not Stargate.

SG-17
July 20th, 2017, 07:56 AM
One thing I am hopeful about is that it won't be a reboot or anything. Everything they've been doing with this reveal seems to suggest its set in the Two-Ls Universe.

Lorne
July 20th, 2017, 01:04 PM
One thing I am hopeful about is that it won't be a reboot or anything. Everything they've been doing with this reveal seems to suggest its set in the Two-Ls Universe.

"The Two-Ls Universe?" Is that the TV series continuity?

aretood2
July 20th, 2017, 02:16 PM
"The Two-Ls Universe?" Is that the TV series continuity?

I think it's a reference to Jack's obsession with how many "l"s are in his last name and a badge that contradicts that.

Arend(BE)
July 20th, 2017, 02:30 PM
in the Dean Devlin, Roland Emmerich made movie it was 'Jack' O'Neil' with on l, on the tv series it was Jack O'Neill with 2 l's.

Lorne
July 20th, 2017, 05:11 PM
I think it's a reference to Jack's obsession with how many "l"s are in his last name and a badge that contradicts that.

in the Dean Devlin, Roland Emmerich made movie it was 'Jack' O'Neil' with on l, on the tv series it was Jack O'Neill with 2 l's.

Oh, okay. I'd never heard that term before. Thanks for the replies!

jelgate
July 20th, 2017, 05:24 PM
I think it was a name of the poster's own invention

Shiner833
July 20th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Yet valid none the less

jelgate
July 20th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Who said it wasn't

Shiner833
July 20th, 2017, 05:48 PM
12 minutes people!

DigiFluid
July 20th, 2017, 06:49 PM

I will gladly eat my own words here:

Stargate Origins is a real thing and I was wrong

Falcon Horus
July 20th, 2017, 06:50 PM
They have the copyrights to Stargate, but they have to trademark a title as "Stargate Origins" separately. Trademark is different than copyright. Only the names ("Stargate SG-1", "Stargate Atlantis" and such) have to be trademarked (either the TM or R mark following the name). Technically, I can use the name Stargate as long as it doesn't refer to this particular concept. In fact, there is a Stargate Studios (responsible for VFX for The Walking Dead), and EVE Online uses a "Stargate" with that exact spelling.

Doh... good point. I forgot about that tidbit.

There's also a book called The Stargate Conspiricies, which actually references SG1.

Stargate Origins it is -- 10 episodes, 10 minutes long so basically a webseries.
First 10 minutes are for Doctor Langford.

DigiFluid
July 20th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Stargate Origins it is -- 10 episodes, 10 minutes long so basically a webseries.
First 10 minutes are for Doctor Langford.

10 minute blocks adding up to a 100 min movie (so yes basically a webseries), but GW's story says it's all about Catherine Langford.

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/07/mgm-announces-new-original-series-stargate-origins/

Falcon Horus
July 20th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Oh... I saw Langford and 10 minute episodes -- thought it was a different subject each episode.

In that case, even less stargate travelling happening, unless they include her boyfriend (played by McGillion in Torment of Tantalus).

aretood2
July 20th, 2017, 06:58 PM
It seems very small scale...They are probably testing the waters and see what happens. Hopefully something bigger comes out of this.

jelgate
July 20th, 2017, 06:59 PM
So how much am I going have to pay? It may not be worth it if Origins is all they are offering

Gatefan1976
July 20th, 2017, 07:01 PM
So how much am I going have to pay? It may not be worth it if Origins is all they are offering
That's the real question.

jelgate
July 20th, 2017, 07:01 PM
It seems very small scale...They are probably testing the waters and see what happens. Hopefully something bigger comes out of this.
Of course. It wouldn't be the first time a web series was used to test the waters of popularity. Sanctuary being the most obvious example

aretood2
July 20th, 2017, 07:02 PM
That's what worries me. It's Star Trek Discovery but even more iffy.
another issue is expanding the "fanbase". I wonder what they'll do to get "fresh blood"
into it on the audience side of things...maybe release the entire thing as a movie? Piggyback if off other media or shows? It looks like they are really going for a new approach and knowingly taking a risk and hoping it'll pay off...which isn't a bad thing. Netflix also took a risk and it paid off big time.

Grinspoon
July 20th, 2017, 07:04 PM
At this stage to be honest, it seems to be a relatively pointless endeavor.

jelgate
July 20th, 2017, 07:04 PM
another issue is expanding the "fanbase". I wonder what they'll do to get "fresh blood"
into it on the audience side of things...maybe release the entire thing as a movie? Piggyback if off other media or shows? It looks like they are really going for a new approach and knowingly taking a risk and hoping it'll pay off...which isn't a bad thing. Netflix also took a risk and it paid off big time.
Its a lot less than what Discovery was offering so the bar to be really low for me to pay for it

Falcon Horus
July 20th, 2017, 07:05 PM
If it's region-free it might harness an audience, and if it's free to view.
If it's blocked for international viewers, I don't see it succeeding.

DigiFluid
July 20th, 2017, 07:06 PM

I think that's the gargantuan elephant in the room here. Stargate has always had a very dedicated core audience, but us being vocal doesn't mean we're numerous. A webseries automatically limits your audience to us niche folks, and it limits it further still if the paywall becomes a factor.

Narrowing viewership is a dangerous play if you're trying to revive a franchise.

DigiFluid
July 20th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Its a lot less than what Discovery was offering so the bar to be really low for me to pay for it

Star Trek also has the added bonuses of having an in-built gigantic fanbase that's been around for over 50 years, and that they're making a full-budget actual TV series.

Falcon Horus
July 20th, 2017, 07:10 PM
Don't forget, region-free vs region-blocked (which can be circumvented, but if it's behind a pay-wall, that would become harder).

DigiFluid
July 20th, 2017, 07:10 PM
If it's blocked for international viewers, I don't see it succeeding.

Eep, I didn't even think of that! I hope they're not stupid enough to geo-lock (or geo-delay) it--that would doom the whole venture before it even gets off the ground.

aretood2
July 20th, 2017, 07:11 PM
I think that's the gargantuan elephant in the room here. Stargate has always had a very dedicated core audience, but us being vocal doesn't mean we're numerous. A webseries automatically limits your audience to us niche folks, and it limits it further still if the paywall becomes a factor.

Narrowing viewership is a dangerous play if you're trying to revive a franchise.

If you recall how big of a issue I think Star Trek Discovery is facing with it's paywall issue, you can understand how much I agree with this. The difference here is that Discovery actually has a workable solution and Netflix already did this sort of thing. The only barrier to CBS is well...getting people to pay for one network's worth of shows (CBS) as opposed to one streaming service plus other networks/movie studios/channel's shows (Hulu/Netflix etc). SG Origins is um...not even a network worth of shows nor is it known the way Star Trek is.

Falcon Horus
July 20th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Geo-delay?

Grinspoon
July 20th, 2017, 07:12 PM

I see no way this will expand the fan base or is designed to. MGM decided they could make money with their own Stargate subscription service. However as the only people who'd ever sign up for it already own the show on home media, they have thrown together a cheap web series to entice them to sign up.

They then came up with a concept in which they don't have to deal with any of the TV series plots or feature any of the actors from the franchise. As well as a concept that won't involve gate travel, other planets, alien races, spaceships or anything else expensive or what the franchise is known for.

aretood2
July 20th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Geo-delay?

Are you talking about region blocks? That's what I read in GW main site. Darren posted the press release, it mentioned that they are working on international something for it.

Falcon Horus
July 20th, 2017, 07:13 PM
And they say I'm Mr. Negative. :p

Falcon Horus
July 20th, 2017, 07:15 PM
Are you talking about region blocks? That's what I read in GW main site. Darren posted the press release, it mentioned that they are working on international something for it.

I'm more than familiar with region-blocking (unfortunately -- hence why I know it can be circumvented). I just hadn't heard about the delay -- don't know exactly what that's supposed to be about. Is it like Game of Thrones, where you can watch like a day later?

DigiFluid
July 20th, 2017, 07:16 PM
If you recall how big of a issue I think Star Trek Discovery is facing with it's paywall issue,
Fortunately for the future of Trek, that's only an issue for US viewers. CBS All Access isn't a thing for the rest of us, and the international sales/licensing (we all get it either on TV or on Netflix) has already paid for the show's production.

Geo-delay?
When it's available in location A at one time, but it doesn't broadcast/release in other regions till days/weeks/months later.

aretood2
July 20th, 2017, 07:17 PM
I'm more than familiar with region-blocking (unfortunately -- hence why I know it can be circumvented). I just hadn't heard about the delay -- don't know exactly what that's supposed to be about. Is it like Game of Thrones, where you can watch like a day later?

Maybe they are doing language stuff. What language do you speak again? Let's call it Dutch for no real ulterior motive/reason here. They might be working on getting it in Dutch. But that won't explain any delays in the Anglo countries.

jelgate
July 20th, 2017, 07:18 PM
And they say I'm Mr. Negative. :p
No you're not. That's my name

aretood2
Fortunately for the future of Trek, that's only an issue for US viewers. CBS All Access isn't a thing for the rest of us, and the international sales/licensing (we all get it either on TV or on Netflix) has already paid for the show's production.

Oh right, I forgot about that. Non-American Netflix is cooler....defeats the purpose of being a "Superpower" if we can't reap the benefits >.>

Gatefan1976

yes, but say out here where they do that with GOT, in that few hour window, it's out on the net and watched already.

jelgate
July 20th, 2017, 07:22 PM
yes, but say out here where they do that with GOT, in that few hour window, it's out on the net and watched already.

Lets be honest. If their is a delay most of the international community will pirate it like they always do

Gatefan1976
July 20th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Lets be honest. If their is a delay most of the international community will pirate it like they always do

that's what I mean Jel, we are just well known for it.

USMCgrunt
July 20th, 2017, 07:36 PM
I just don't see how this is going to do anything to help MGM and further the franchise. Putting this thing on their own subscription service is just not going to work.

aretood2
July 20th, 2017, 07:38 PM
We really don't know exactly what will and will not require subscription.

Ugly Pig
July 20th, 2017, 07:42 PM
MGM decided they could make money with their own Stargate subscription service. However as the only people who'd ever sign up for it already own the show on home media, they have thrown together a cheap web series to entice them to sign up.

^ This. Just look at who's involved - they got a bunch of absolute no-names to create this thing. This isn't going to be a "proper" new Stargate series at all, but a low-budget, little-to-no regards to quality "let's just throw something together" type series of web videos.

And the worst part is, if we the fans don't support it, MGM will conclude that there's no interest in Stargate anymore and kill the franchise again.

The wait for Stargate's revival continues (this sure as hell isn't it), but I'm actually less hopeful now than I was 24 hours ago.

USMCgrunt
July 20th, 2017, 08:00 PM
^ This. Just look at who's involved - they got a bunch of absolute no-names to create this thing. This isn't going to be a "proper" new Stargate series at all, but a low-budget, little-to-no regards to quality "let's just throw something together" type series of web videos.

And the worst part is, if we the fans don't support it, MGM will conclude that there's no interest in Stargate anymore and kill the franchise again.

The wait for Stargate's revival continues (this sure as hell isn't it), but I'm actually less hopeful now than I was 24 hours ago.
Yep you kind of figured it would be crap when they said it would be 10 episodes that would be 10 minutes long each.

Ugly Pig
July 20th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'll watch this. I'll support it. I'll throw money at MGM in the hopes that one day they'll bring back Stargate for real.

But my hype level for this web series, in itself, is precisely 0.

USMCgrunt
July 20th, 2017, 08:08 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'll watch this. I'll support it. I'll throw money at MGM in the hopes that one day they'll bring back Stargate for real.

But my hype level for this web series, in itself, is precisely 0.
Oh I will as well. Anything that might remotely mean we get another SG series. Now people from comic con are saying that it might be a CGI animated series.

GateWorld
July 20th, 2017, 08:28 PM
I think this particular project likely isn't intended necessarily to be the revival of the brand. More a love letter to fans. It's for us, it's on a small digital service. It's not an attempt to cast a wide net and gain new viewers.

If I was offered a new digital platform with nothing but their archival material OR a digital platform with all that plus a live-action, canonical series, I'd choose the latter.

~Darren

Platschu
July 20th, 2017, 11:13 PM
I really hope Paul McGillion would return as Ernest or maybe we could see Ben Browder (Michell), so the story would continue the Stargate : Continuum movie while Mitchell and Langford could save the Earth together. :)

garhkal
July 20th, 2017, 11:35 PM

Plus unlike using TV shows ratings, there's no real way to rate online viewership for something streaming to my knowledge..

I think this particular project likely isn't intended necessarily to be the revival of the brand. More a love letter to fans. It's for us, it's on a small digital service. It's not an attempt to cast a wide net and gain new viewers.

Kind of a screwy way to send a "love letter to fans"..

Elite Anubis Guard
July 21st, 2017, 12:04 AM
I don't mind the concept of a web-series (or essentially a new movie). I also don't mind the idea of a paid Stargate-only subscription thing to get hold of it - assuming it's not actually too much. Like Darren said on Twitter, it means they have network-less funding and therefore no distruption by outside forces.

However, I'm not sure of the scope of stories that can be told in this timeframe. Would have preferred to have seen a brand new show or a new movie or some such like all of us but I'll eagerly give this one a go and hope i

Major_Griff
July 21st, 2017, 04:29 AM
I'd rather them just release this as a movie and charge to stream it than for them to drip drip the pieces out for ten weeks while getting five bucks a month out of us (or whatever it costs) during that time.

And if they have any regard for continuity, and they set it in the TV universe (or the movie universe for that matter) no one can go through the gate, especially not Katherine. So what's the point?

I mean I'll take new Stargate and hope it's a herald of more to come, but this has so many strikes against it already.

Super Hive
July 21st, 2017, 05:04 AM
I'm hopeful and cautiously optimistic. Now, it's not exactly what I wanted, which would have been a new show or film. However, I am ecstatic that it takes place in the TV canon and is not a reboot of any kind.

Am I thrilled about it being part of a subscription service? Not really. I'm still going to support because I want more from the franchise and it's been suggested that if this mini-series is a success that it could lead to more Stargate down the road. Also, I'm sure it was alluded to that the service would also have unseen footage? Like behind the scenes or cut scenes from episodes? Though I may have read into that too much. We'll find out soon.

The untold story of Catherine Langford sounds pretty interesting to me but they're going to have to be careful that it still makes sense within the context of the original film and SG-1. I think it could definitely work as an anthology series with other stories to tell. Imagine a mini-series of Ronon's survival as a Runner? Or of Teyla growing up under the shadow of the Wraith, and how she's vital to her people's survival. Or of the politics of the Goa'uld System Lords before the fall of Ra. There are plenty of Origins stories that they could explore, and hopefully they wouldn't have to recast too many characters.

Given the general backlash that fans had to SGU (and the audiobooks? not entirely sure about that one) I think MGM want to tread carefully and test the waters to gauge what Stargate fans want from the franchise. While I don't think that this is the perfect route to take it's better than the Emmerich-reboot route.

Starfreak10
July 21st, 2017, 05:46 AM
I think before we make judgements or jump to conclusions. We need to wait a
Little longer for more information.

We don't know all the details yet, it could be bad it could be good, but untill then we just have to wait....i hate waiting but i know i have too

SG-17
July 21st, 2017, 06:09 AM
Extreme disappointment.

DigiFluid
July 21st, 2017, 06:27 AM
I think it could definitely work as an anthology series with other stories to tell. Imagine a mini-series of Ronon's survival as a Runner? Or of Teyla growing up under the shadow of the Wraith, and how she's vital to her people's survival. Or of the politics of the Goa'uld System Lords before the fall of Ra. There are plenty of Origins stories that they could explore, and hopefully they wouldn't have to recast too many characters
Right, this is what really puzzles me about this news. Who on Earth thought that the best story to relaunch with was 'The Young Catherine Langford Chronicles'? Just the idea of it puts me to sleep. Why did they not start with something/someone more interesting? If you use an established character, you immediately attract the existing fanbase. Or it doesn't even need to be existing, start with someone who was around established events that we've never met before--new character for new viewers to find a POV with, existing setting for established viewers. Win/win.

Or even if they were dead set on starting at the beginning, tell a story about the ancient Egyptian who led the rebellion that drove Ra out from Earth. Then you get a relatable, Earth-bound story that expands the existing mythology while also re-establishing the mythology for newcomers.

I just can't wrap my head around why they've picked the story they have...

...But I'm an established fan who wants more Stargate, so naturally I will fall for it.

BAZZ
July 21st, 2017, 06:31 AM
Wait, I didn't know Catherine Langford got the gate working and was using it to prevent earth's doom before SG1/SGC were going through the stargate.
That just sounds awful to me and as a fan of both the original movie and SG1, I feel insulted. However, I seriously doubt it can be as bad as SG:U.

I very much welcome a female lead, in fact, I would rather have one this time around.

Also, it sounds like they will have a technologically advanced enemy of somekind (how else will earth be in peril), I can only hope for there to be good production value.
Both The Walking Dead (earlier seasons) and Game of Thrones benefited from good production values, the cloths the make-up and set pieces all look great.
So good make-up aliens, nice tailored cloths, real looking props, and good looking cgi (you know they use it for anything space or vehicle realted) could help elevate the show.

(I actually could not sit through SG:U, I could not stomach the awful, awful writing, the immature characters, the drama, use of the communication stones [the cheating/rape/easy problem fixes/etc.] made SG:U my single most disappointing tv series I ever watched).

Shiner833
July 21st, 2017, 06:45 AM
Yea I thought for sure when the Origins stuff started to leak that it would be about the ancients and their development of the gate system etc... so much to explore there! Time will tell with this. I'm hopeful that the old shows will be available for streaming through the new Stargate Command site. If I'm paying for a subscription dedicated specifically for Stargate I would expect to be able to watch all things Stargate and not just a few tid bits of behind the scenes stuff here and there. Color me cautiously optimistic because while it's not what I would have hoped it was, it's something and unless we support it, we'll go back to nothing.

Madcrazycats
July 21st, 2017, 06:45 AM
Right, this is what really puzzles me about this news. Who on Earth thought that the best story to relaunch with was 'The Young Catherine Langford Chronicles'? Just the idea of it puts me to sleep. Why did they not start with something/someone more interesting? If you use an established character, you immediately attract the existing fanbase. Or it doesn't even need to be existing, start with someone who was around established events that we've never met before--new character for new viewers to find a POV with, existing setting for established viewers. Win/win.

Or even if they were dead set on starting at the beginning, tell a story about the ancient Egyptian who led the rebellion that drove Ra out from Earth. Then you get a relatable, Earth-bound story that expands the existing mythology while also re-establishing the mythology for newcomers.

I jet can't wrap my head around why they've picked the story they have...

...But I'm an established fan who wants more Stargate, so naturally I will fall for it.

I may be mistaken but i thought it was Daniel and the alternative sg1 that led the rebellion with the Egyptians in search of a zpm in the season 8 episodes moebius 1 and 2? :jack_new_anime25:

DigiFluid
July 21st, 2017, 06:56 AM
I may be mistaken but i thought it was Daniel and the alternative sg1 that led the rebellion with the Egyptians in search of a zpm in the season 8 episodes moebius 1 and 2? :jack_new_anime25:

Did they lead it, or were they just present for it? It's been a number of years since I watched those episodes and I honestly can't remember.

And even if they're part of it, shouldn't that only be in the newly modified timeline we saw in those episodes? The one that changed O'Neill's pond from having no fish to having fish...shouldn't the original timeline just be a rebellion of the locals?

NickEast
July 21st, 2017, 07:34 AM

That would be in the "new" timeline that was created after that episode. Though the events of "1969" were a predestination/bootstrap paradox (the events happen regardless and there is no perceived origin point), pretty much all other time travel events have altered the timeline after that. In the timeline prior to "Moebius", the rebellion happened without SG-1's influence as they weren't present then.

meo3000
July 21st, 2017, 07:42 AM
I am happy to see something being done at last. I dont really care what marketing strategy they have in mind or how the distribution will work. Im not even concerned with the story following the adventures of Catherine Langford through the gate affecting the tv shows.

Its been established there are infinite alternate universes and that a stargate can be used to travel between them. Its also been established s stargate can be used to travel through time.

So a young Catherine using the gate to find for example her missing father that went through the stargate first, its not only possible, its a basic, simple but good idea. Visiting planets and meeting characters part of canon, great idea for fan servicing. They've just opened wide the possibilities for story telling and also guest starring from our favorites from time to time. That way they can reinvent the franchise without pissing off everyone.

Basicaly, what JJ Abrams did with StarTrek but using a lesser character to alter the new reality.

So Yay more Stargate.

Major_Griff
July 21st, 2017, 07:45 AM

I just can't wrap my head around why they've picked the story they have...

This. That's I think a big part of what makes this announcement… less exciting than maybe it should be. Of all the 'origin' stories they could tell, this is the one that on the surface seems the least compelling. And it's one that prompts you to wonder how fast and loose they'll be playing with established continuity.

NickEast
July 21st, 2017, 08:14 AM
I am happy to see something being done at last. I dont really care what marketing strategy they have in mind or how the distribution will work. Im not even concerned with the story following the adventures of Catherine Langford through the gate affecting the tv shows.

Its been established there are infinite alternate universes and that a stargate can be used to travel between them. Its also been established s stargate can be used to travel through time.

So a young Catherine using the gate to find for example her missing father that went through the stargate first, its not only possible, its a basic, simple but good idea. Visiting planets and meeting characters part of canon, great idea for fan servicing. They've just opened wide the possibilities for story telling and also guest starring from our favorites from time to time. That way they can reinvent the franchise without pissing off everyone.

Basicaly, what JJ Abrams did with StarTrek but using a lesser character to alter the new reality.

So Yay more Stargate.

But that probably won't happen, because MGM said it follows established canon. JJ Abrams rebooted Star Trek with an alternate timeline, which is opposite to what MGM has stated. So far, it seems they're contradicting themselves, because Catherine can't go through the gate, nor can it be activated other than in 1945 without her knowing it. "Torment of Tantalus" proves that Catherine never went through the gate, and it would be a big plot hole if she did and never told anyone, especially Daniel. I think it's just going to be about the struggle of getting the gate to America, what with the Nazi's and all. Maybe. Otherwise, it won't fit in the established canon the way I see it.

meo3000
July 21st, 2017, 08:48 AM
Alternate universes are canon. Throw time travel and paradoxes in there and you pretty much can rewrite history as you see fit.

I just hope they dont change it too much.

Shiner833
July 21st, 2017, 09:13 AM
It's a ten minute show so trying to shove all the alternate reality and how it all ties back in with the original timelines etc etc would be difficult in those few fleeting moments.

DigiFluid
July 21st, 2017, 09:18 AM
It's a ten minute show so trying to shove all the alternate reality and how it all ties back in with the original timelines etc etc would be difficult in those few fleeting moments.
It's a 100-minute show, delivered in 10 minute blocks.

lopo30
July 21st, 2017, 09:57 AM
I hope they release these 10 episode at one time and not one episode per week.
I cant stand these 10 minutes things and then wait a week to see another 10 minutes.

It's like the animation Vixen that is 5-6 episodes seasons with 5 minutes episodes.

And well if they continue with region blocking then there is no hope for them. The market for Stargate based on one market is just so low that it cant get good ratings but seems they are to blind to see it.

For me i dont care as i will torrent everything anyways. Like the GOT i get to see it in my paid tv channel in the same day, but it's in SD and with heavy commercials so i will get 1080p version of it without commercials and i dont have limits for my connection and can download how much i like with my 100mb both ways connection.

NickEast
July 21st, 2017, 10:32 AM
Alternate universes are canon. Throw time travel and paradoxes in there and you pretty much can rewrite history as you see fit.

I just hope they dont change it too much.

Alternate universes within the "Stargate universe", yes. But an entire show that does away with established facts is the very definition of a reboot. The 2009 Star Trek film is a literal interpretation of that as it uses the established canon as a jumping-off point to create an alternate timeline/universe in which the entire "Abrams" series takes place. Nevertheless, even Abrams has stated several times that his movies are not canon. I wasn't talking about the definition of "canon", but what constitutes as a prequel, reboot or "part of established canon."

If this new show contradicts any facts as presented in the film and specifically SG-1 (not counting the elements of the film that were changed in the shows), then by definition it can't be a prequel. There is one Stargate universe (as the franchise), which includes, as stated, numerous visibly shown alternate universes and timelines. Technically three exist (the TV franchise, the film, and Infinity). MGM has stated the new show fills in the story of Catherine prior to the events of SG-1 (or the film for that matter), so in their own words it has to be "our" universe/reality/timeline.

I'm aware I'm going too far with this, but I don't want people to misinterpret me.

Falcon Horus
July 21st, 2017, 11:36 AM
When it's available in location A at one time, but it doesn't broadcast/release in other regions till days/weeks/months later.

Ah, thanks. :)

Maybe they are doing language stuff. What language do you speak again? Let's call it Dutch for no real ulterior motive/reason here. They might be working on getting it in Dutch. But that won't explain any delays in the Anglo countries.

Oh goddess, please no... no dubbing... :p
Actually dubbing is far more expensive than subtitling something, and Flanders doesn't dub. It would hilarious though, but nothing is dubbed here. All subtitled.

While the above is obviously an example of a delay. The actual reason is more about broadcasting rights. MGM needs a channel or an online media in this case to showcase their stuff, and that means deals need to be made.

It's all about the money.

I have to pay extra for the service to watch the show. I'd rather spend that money on the DVD set later with loads of cool extras so yeah, I download.

In case you missed it, and I think you did, international fans are excluded from the subscription service. It's US-only for now. So, you have nothing to support as it were.

A love letter to the American fans, you mean, since the international fanbase is currently excluded from the MGM subscription.

I also don't mind the idea of a paid Stargate-only subscription thing to get hold of it - assuming it's not actually too much.

If your location is really England, then you are excluded from the subscription. It's US-only (for now).

Both The Walking Dead (earlier seasons) and Game of Thrones benefited from good production values, the cloths the make-up and set pieces all look great.
So good make-up aliens, nice tailored cloths, real looking props, and good looking cgi (you know they use it for anything space or vehicle realted) could help elevate the show.

I have a feeling this will not have the same production budget as TWD or GOT at all. I mean, GOT alone is an average production budget of 6 million dollars per episode. Breaking Bad, f.e. was 3 million. The Big Bang Theory 2 million.

Shiner833
July 21st, 2017, 11:36 AM
It's a 100-minute show, delivered in 10 minute blocks.

Thanks for the math refresher. So exactly how long of a show was SG-1 if you wanna debate semantics?

Falcon Horus
July 21st, 2017, 11:44 AM
42 minutes per episode -- so basically it's a grand total of 2,5 episodes.

jelgate
July 21st, 2017, 11:45 AM

Actually dubbing is far more expensive than subtitling something, and Flanders doesn't dub. It would hilarious though, but nothing is dubbed here. All subtitled.

While the above is obviously an example of a delay. The actual reason is more about broadcasting rights. MGM needs a channel or an online media in this case to showcase their stuff, and that means deals need to be made.

I have to pay extra for the service to watch the show. I'd rather spend that money on the DVD set later with loads of cool extras so yeah, I download.

In case you missed it, and I think you did, international fans are excluded from the subscription service. It's US-only for now. So, you have nothing to support as it were.

A love letter to the American fans, you mean, since the international fanbase is currently excluded from the MGM subscription.

If your location is really England, then you are excluded from the subscription. It's US-only (for now).

I have a feeling this will not have the same production budget as TWD or GOT at all. I mean, GOT alone is an average production budget of 6 million dollars per episode. Breaking Bad, f.e. was 3 million. The Big Bang Theory 2 million.
These Are The Voyagers was the love letter for the Star Trek fans. Maybe you should be happy that your letter is undeliverable. :P

garhkal
Wait, I didn't know Catherine Langford got the gate working and was using it to prevent earth's doom before SG1/SGC were going through the stargate.
That just sounds awful to me and as a fan of both the original movie and SG1, I feel insulted. However, I seriously doubt it can be as bad as SG:U.

Same here. Cause of all we know of SG lore, the FIRST time they made it work was by accident when the hubby Of langford got sent through in torment of tantelus.. THEN IT lay dorment till Danny made it work again...

NickEast

With respect, you're sounding like you work at MGM. There is nothing that says it will be US-only. "Stargate Command" isn't even online yet. The only thing that was mentioned in the official press release is that MGM wants it to be available internationally and are currently "hammering out the plans". So right now, though it is unclear if it will be available everywhere at launch, there is nothing to indicate that it will be US-only from the get go.

SG-17
July 21st, 2017, 11:49 AM
stargatecommand.com is just a redirect page for a Star Citizen mod. How strapped for cash is MGM that they couldn't buy that and had to resort to a bargain bin domain?

NickEast
July 21st, 2017, 11:54 AM
stargatecommand.com is just a redirect page for a Star Citizen mod. How strapped for cash is MGM that they couldn't buy that and had to resort to a bargain bin domain?

Ahem, the official website stargate.mgm.com (http://stargate.mgm.com) is now Stargate Command, so though there is a new domain, the original one still works.

Falcon Horus
July 21st, 2017, 11:59 AM
These Are The Voyagers was the love letter for the Star Trek fans. Maybe you should be happy that your letter is undeliverable. :P

Do I even want to know?

With respect, you're sounding like you work at MGM. There is nothing that says it will be US-only. "Stargate Command" isn't even online yet. The only thing that was mentioned in the official press release is that MGM wants it to be available internationally and are currently "hammering out the plans". So right now, though it is unclear if it will be available everywhere at launch, there is nothing to indicate that it will be US-only from the get go.

I know business talk.

And here you go, lifehack explains so you might understand how complicated that **** is: Why Do Media Companies Block Movies, Music, and TV Based on Location? (http://lifehacker.com/why-do-media-companies-block-movies-music-and-tv-base-1509912540)

It's a general article about all sorts of media, so here's specifically the one about TV:

Advertising and Localization: Why Your Favorite Shows Stream Only in Certain Places

"Video services have many of the same challenges, plus some others. Licensing with major producers is largely the reason why Netflix took forever to get up and running in the UK and Ireland, and Hulu, which is owned in large part by those same content producers, is obviously in no hurry to make its content available elsewhere in the world until they can figure out a way to monetize it.

Some of that comes down to paying the necessary fees and residuals to studios, actors, and staff involved with the making of movies and TV shows, but the larger issue is advertising and localization. Streaming video services have to line up local advertisers willing to support their programming, and they also have to battle with the demand for localized content—English language dramas need to be subtitled before broadcast, or dubbed altogether depending on the demands of the studio that produced it and the overseas rights-holder. Both parties play a hand in when their content can be made available on the internet, and it only takes one of them to sink a deal.

With movies, there's another barrier: Staggered film releases. A blockbuster that hit theaters in the US and is now available to stream on Netflix may not appear on Netflix in the UK, for example, because the film just arrived in theaters there, or because it just launched on Blu-ray there, and rights holders don't want to cannibalize sales. To boot, licensing agreements with streaming video sources are usually for a matter of years—usually five to ten, which is why it's news whenever a series of films is about to vanish from Netflix, and why Hulu mentions when any given video or series is going to expire.

As for YouTube and other user-distributed streaming media, licensing is king. Video owners may only have rights to use the music in a video in a few countries, or perhaps they're only producing for a specific audience. Maybe they want to monetize their video, and have to localize it for advertising. In any event, YouTube uploaders have the option to select where their video will be available when they upload the video. "

SG-17
July 21st, 2017, 12:34 PM
Ahem, the official website stargate.mgm.com (http://stargate.mgm.com) is now Stargate Command, so though there is a new domain, the original one still works.

And? What does that change about what I said?

Promethius30
July 21st, 2017, 12:36 PM
I'm excited, it's not the format or even the story I'd have picked. However, it gives stargate a future which it hasn't had for a while now.

NickEast
July 21st, 2017, 12:39 PM
And? What does that change about what I said?

Why does MGM have to buy a new domain? They already have one, so what's your point?

SG-17
July 21st, 2017, 01:16 PM
Why does MGM have to buy a new domain? They already have one, so what's your point?

They bought stargatecommand.co on June 30th.

https://www.whois.com/whois/stargatecommand.co

NickEast
July 21st, 2017, 01:36 PM
They bought stargatecommand.co on June 30th.

https://www.whois.com/whois/stargatecommand.co

Okay, sure. Kind of a weird top-domain, sure. But still, they already had the stargate.mgm.com domain, which links to the same site. Why do you say MGM is strapped for cash then? On that same site, I checked "stargatecommand.com" and it was registered in 2005 and only renewed two weeks ago, so MGM couldn't register it anyway. They can't just take it over. It has to expire first, and then not be renewed automatically. I think it's more stupid that they bought a second domain in the first place.

SG-17
July 21st, 2017, 03:37 PM
Okay, sure. Kind of a weird top-domain, sure. But still, they already had the stargate.mgm.com domain, which links to the same site. Why do you say MGM is strapped for cash then? On that same site, I checked "stargatecommand.com" and it was registered in 2005 and only renewed two weeks ago, so MGM couldn't register it anyway. They can't just take it over. It has to expire first, and then not be renewed automatically. I think it's more stupid that they bought a second domain in the first place.

They could offer to buy it or send lawyers after it.

NickEast
July 21st, 2017, 04:16 PM
They could offer to buy it or send lawyers after it.

Offer, sure. But it's otherwise perfectly legal, that's the thing, especially if it had been used all these years. MGM should've seized the name back then. Anyway, I'm going way off-topic by dragging this along.

Falcon Horus
July 21st, 2017, 05:13 PM
It's not off topic.

I think Stargate Command used to be site with a stargate game... or I'm remembering that wrong.

Gatefan1976
July 21st, 2017, 06:02 PM
It's not off topic.

I think Stargate Command used to be site with a stargate game... or I'm remembering that wrong.

you are remembering right

Elite Anubis Guard
July 22nd, 2017, 03:04 AM
you are remembering right

I spent so much time on that website when I was a kid! And there was the Goa'uld version too but I can't remember what that site was called.

Locutus_Of_Borg
July 22nd, 2017, 04:54 AM
*blows dust off keyboard and logs into Gateworld*

It's as if I've been in a deep slumber for 5 years and suddenly there were four...[spin offs].

Falcon Horus
July 22nd, 2017, 10:30 AM

It's as if I've been in a deep slumber for 5 years and suddenly there were four...[spin offs].

Wait a minute... are you saying you missed the entire Atlantis/Universe era?!? :eek:

jelgate
July 22nd, 2017, 12:14 PM
He doesn't know about Heightmeyer. I'll get your tissues FH

Falcon Horus
July 22nd, 2017, 12:34 PM
He doesn't know about Heightmeyer. I'll get your tissues FH

*happily sails on the river Denial*

aretood2
July 24th, 2017, 06:17 AM
*happily sails on the river Denial*

I never understood that furry animal on the shoulder...

Falcon Horus
July 24th, 2017, 08:11 AM
I never understood that furry animal on the shoulder...

It's a shrill and ill-informed lemming (according to Mallozzi at one point in time before the start of season 4, I think). As it turned out, afterwards, the lemmings weren't so shrill and ill-informed after all. :p
I can't remember who but someone started referring to me as the Lemming, and then it all started to have a life on its own.

The Lemming is owned by Heightmeyer and its favorite food is sugar, however this will lead to its favorite passtime which is eating McKay's cables.

K2323
July 24th, 2017, 11:50 AM

Same. It's been too long. THE LONG NIGHT HAS ENDED.

ESESEL
July 24th, 2017, 03:28 PM
So, basically the same format as BSG: Blood and Chrome, right?
And how old Katherine are we talking?

Falcon Horus
July 25th, 2017, 01:06 AM

If she has to have adventures, I reckon early twenties.

thekillman
July 25th, 2017, 02:08 AM
So, basically the same format as BSG: Blood and Chrome, right?

In a way, yes. Though i'm hoping that they don't back out of this half-way the same way as Blood and Chrome.

Considering the timeline, 20's to 30's. The Gate was uncovered in the 1920's if i recall, and the movie took place somewhere in 1995 or so. So early 30's at the most.

Same. It's been too long. THE LONG NIGHT HAS ENDED.
If it fails, the night will be even longer. I mean sure this came about 15 years earlier than i expected, but still. Be cautiously optimistic.

poundpuppy29
July 25th, 2017, 10:45 PM
Hello all I am cautiously optimistic about this still a little iffy about who they are starting with even though I like the character but I am glad MGM finally got a clue that the tv franchise is more popular and more profitable than the movies and that RE and DD are not involved with it I am glad their reboot got shelved

Falcon Horus
July 26th, 2017, 01:20 AM
Hello all I am cautiously optimistic about this still a little iffy about who they are starting with even though I like the character but I am glad MGM finally got a clue that the tv franchise is more popular and more profitable than the movies...

If that were really true they would have not put it behind a pay-wall to kickstart their digital platform -- which automatically excludes everyone who isn't in the US.
Besides, they chose footage from the E&D Stargate film to tease the audience. There wasn't a single shot in there from SG1. ;)

discodiva
July 26th, 2017, 01:51 AM
The pay thing will more than likely rule me out....going to have to take a lot more than what has been shown to get me to pay out yet....also as I live in the UK I'm not holding out hope that I'll get to see much of it anyway..;)

Falcon Horus
July 26th, 2017, 02:07 AM
The pay thing will more than likely rule me out....going to have to take a lot more than what has been shown to get me to pay out yet....also as I live in the UK I'm not holding out hope that I'll get to see much of it anyway..;)

Maybe you'll be in luck, and they'll release it on Netflix.

discodiva
July 26th, 2017, 09:49 AM
I'm old..I don't even use Netflix....I pay my annual Licence Fee for the BBC and have Virgin Cable...that's it.....my son has Netflix though so he'll be pleased as he's a big Stargate fan

Elite Anubis Guard
July 26th, 2017, 11:35 AM

It sounds like it maybe a global thing. I'm UK based too and am hoping I can access it, however they distribute it.

lightsyder
July 26th, 2017, 12:10 PM
They said they were still trying to work out international distribution so hopefully all fans can enjoy it.

As for the pay wall, they said some itens will come at a cost right? They never confirmed Origins would be at a cost. Although I suppose that is the most likely scenario

Elite Anubis Guard
July 26th, 2017, 01:05 PM
I dunno. They may want to use the shorts to entice new viewers into purchasing digital rentals of the full series?

lightsyder
July 26th, 2017, 01:14 PM
MGM bought some kind of streaming service right? Thought I saw that mentioned somewhere.

Promethius30
July 26th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Maybe a silly point I'm making, but it is a positive to see the teaser trailer on YouTube with over 600k views. For a poor teaser and not much marketing outside the fb and twitter. That's not half bad!

Gatefan1976
July 26th, 2017, 03:24 PM
SDCC is some good advertising as well...............

ESESEL
July 26th, 2017, 05:41 PM
If she has to have adventures, I reckon early twenties.

Considering the timeline, 20's to 30's. The Gate was uncovered in the 1920's if i recall, and the movie took place somewhere in 1995 or so. So early 30's at the most.

OK, so, let's say an actress about 25 years old... Anyone any tips?

Falcon Horus
July 27th, 2017, 06:08 AM
I seem to miss a quote here: to whomever said Origins might not be behind the pay wall

That's exactly what's going to be behind the paywall. There would be no need for international distribution if that content was free to view. It can still be geo-locked (which is easily circumvented).

They want to use Origin to introduce their new digital platform so yes, you will have to pay to view it.

They said they were still trying to work out international distribution so hopefully all fans can enjoy it.

Which isn't as easy as you might think, so I'm not going to expect much in that area.

OK, so, let's say an actress about 25 years old... Anyone any tips?

It'll probably be someone completely unknown to the larger audience, which is in on itself not a bad thing.

Quantumentanglement
July 27th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Just saw this thread and the news! Very exciting! I wished they didn't do a prequel but will take anything at this point.

Nozomi
July 27th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Well, i was happy because Stargate was coming and after reading this topic i lost my hope... First it would be a shame if they'll publish the series with a region block. I'm from Uruguay, and i'm tired of can't watch or listen things i like because of that reason.

I think it is logical if they want to have a feedback of a minor population first, and then decide what to do, but i don't understand why so much noise if they are going to do that. I mean, maybe they could made the podcast region blocked too, i don't know.

Also i don't understand why the teaser has no new promotional footage (apart from the illustration that i don't know if its new or not). In the podcast David Read said that they are things going on since some time ago and they can't talk about that till now, so, it is a bit odd i think, that there weren't no one doing some visual material to show us.

I read here comments that the ten episodes will be ten minutes and then not. But here (https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/07/stargate-origins-watch-teaser-video/)and here (https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/07/mgm-announces-new-original-series-stargate-origins/) says that it will be ten minutes each episode. I don't know, maybe i misread something here in this topic about that, but i'm not understanding then.

Arend(BE)
July 28th, 2017, 02:18 AM
Well, i was happy because Stargate was coming and after reading this topic i lost my hope... First it would be a shame if they'll publish the series with a region block. I'm from Uruguay, and i'm tired of can't watch or listen things i like because of that reason.

I think it is logical if they want to have a feedback of a minor population first, and then decide what to do, but i don't understand why so much noise if they are going to do that. I mean, maybe they could made the podcast region blocked too, i don't know.

the people on this forum do not know more then you do, could it be region blocked...yes, but it could also be open and free for everyone globally, maybe there will be an advance viewing/behind the scenes paid content, maybe only the old series wll be paid for. we simply do not know until they announce it them self.

Keep in mind that some people are a bit negative on SGO and try to see what is not yet known in the most pessimistic light possible.

Also i don't understand why the teaser has no new promotional footage (apart from the illustration that i don't know if its new or not). In the podcast David Read said that they are things going on since some time ago and they can't talk about that till now, so, it is a bit odd i think, that there weren't no one doing some visual material to show us.

The series is scheduled to begin shooting in August (according to the LA Times), so that would explain why there was no new footage in the trailer yet.

I read here comments that the ten episodes will be ten minutes and then not. But here (https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/07/stargate-origins-watch-teaser-video/)and here (https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/07/mgm-announces-new-original-series-stargate-origins/) says that it will be ten minutes each episode. I don't know, maybe i misread something here in this topic about that, but i'm not understanding then.
the press release said: "a 10 episode, mid-form digital series" while gateworld was more specific in saying that it will be 10 min episodes, in the end people here are again only speculating and i personally take gateworlds word as more likely to be correct until we here from official sources.

I wish i could give you better answers then maybe this or maybe that, but there is simply not allot of information yet, however i look forward to finding out more about the show as well as how it will be handled globally along with the rest of you in the coming months.

Falcon Horus
July 28th, 2017, 03:37 AM
I'm from Uruguay, and i'm tired of can't watch or listen things i like because of that reason.

I don't think we've seen fans from Uruguay on the forum before so WELCOME!! :D
We can add another country to our virtual map.

I think it is logical if they want to have a feedback of a minor population first, and then decide what to do...

Which is basically the same with a TV-show, since only American viewing numbers are counted and thus it's only them (the dreaded Nielsen ratings) which determine whether a show lives or dies. It doesn't matter whether a show is very succesful anywhere else, because it's the primary audience that counts. The rest is just extra money in the pocket with money coming in from licensing the tv-rights, merchandise and/or DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

...but i don't understand why so much noise if they are going to do that. I mean, maybe they could made the podcast region blocked too, i don't know.

I don't know if there's really that much noise, although SDCC sure is a good place to start the noise and to let it ripple. But after that accouncement, there hasn't been anything else dropped, and MGM has gone quiet again (relatively speaking).

Like Arend says, they haven't start filming the new series yet so there is literally no material to show. And to create a digital mock-up of a sorts costs money too which I imagine they prefer to spend on the actual series. It probably has been given a budget, and visual effects are usually the most expensive bits of the whole process.

I'm more intrigued actually at the part that it does not, in any way, contain footage from SG1. It just contains footage from Dean & Roland's Stargate.

Ten minute episodes is the going rate for digital webseries -- so I'd say it's a pretty good bet that it will be 10 10-minute episodes. Webisodes are usually between 5 to 10 minutes each.
Of course, it could be more or less, but it'll probably be around the 10-minute limit.

the people on this forum do not know more then you do, could it be region blocked...yes, but it could also be open and free for everyone globally, maybe there will be an advance viewing/behind the scenes paid content, maybe only the old series wll be paid for. we simply do not know until they announce it them self.

If MGM says they are working on international distribution, it basically means it will be blocked (for now). There would be no point mentioning that if it weren't blocked.

Advance viewing like the TV-show will still mean a greater chance of the rest of the fanbase going in search of other means to view it at the same time as their American counterparts so that they don't get spoiled (which sadly happens a lot and really does ruin the fun most of the times).

Unless the behind the scenes footage is new, there's plenty of the other shows already freely available on the DVD's/Blu-Ray's. So it would have to be new to be interesting -- though I'm sure they'll have plenty of footage which never saw the light of day. If I'm not mistaken, the episode Urgo alone had miles, and miles of bloopers which never saw the light of day.

Keep in mind that some people are a bit negative on SGO and try to see what is not yet known in the most pessimistic light possible.

That's mostly because we are realistic and have been burned before.

I don't know if you were here around the time of Atlantis' airing and all its shenanigans. A lesson was learned then, and it stuck. So, the less expected, the better it can be when the opposite is true.

If you want to label that as negative, then so be it. But I'd rather be pleasantly surprised, then get utterly disappointed.

Shiner833
July 28th, 2017, 06:41 AM
I understand keeping expectations low, however many times that is not what is happening thus the negative comments. Here, and on many Facebook pages, I have seen negative feeling put out as FACT. When something is brought up about "Hey maybe this will do something cool..." There is a small percentage of downright negative people throwing out comments about what WILL happen and it's TERRIBLE. Refusing to allow any positive thoughts to go by them without raining on someone else's parade. The show might suck, but at least let's maybe watch it and see how the website and pay system are set up before we all assume it's all going to cost money for the show, and geo-locked, and only 10 mins, and have crap budget, and no gate at all etc etc etc...most of these things haven't been announced. While they are a concern and should be discussed, I get tired of seeing other's negative opinion put out as FACT when we honestly don't yet know.

Original Man
July 28th, 2017, 09:28 AM
I agree with you, but you have to understand where they are coming from. There are three Stargate series, only SG-1 has gone on for a while and there's still a lot to explore. And all of a sudden they are making the fourth without finishing neither of the three(we can argue the possibilities are endless so it can never be finished, but still). Not only that, but this time it has nothing to do with the big three, and despite that fact it still has a potential to ruin the entire Stargate.

Nozomi
July 28th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Well, thanks for the welcome and the answers! :)

About the footage, maybe was not the correct word to use (i have a hard time with english vocabulary), i was refering to the fact that there is no new visual content, not necesarily filmed footage. In projects like this i think it is normal to start advertising or promotion by creating new content as new logos or that sort of thing, because that is part of the pre-production phase when they are now if they are going to start filming the episodes in August.
I don't know, i have worked in similar areas (i'm an animator, and i also worked in advertising), and it seems a bit odd to me that fact. But, also, they're MGM so i think when you are a big name you know what you do. haha

Anyways i'm enjoying all the things that are happening about Stargate these days.

Quantumentanglement
July 28th, 2017, 12:49 PM
I understand keeping expectations low, however many times that is not what is happening thus the negative comments. Here, and on many Facebook pages, I have seen negative feeling put out as FACT. When something is brought up about "Hey maybe this will do something cool..." There is a small percentage of downright negative people throwing out comments about what WILL happen and it's TERRIBLE. Refusing to allow any positive thoughts to go by them without raining on someone else's parade. The show might suck, but at least let's maybe watch it and see how the website and pay system are set up before we all assume it's all going to cost money for the show, and geo-locked, and only 10 mins, and have crap budget, and no gate at all etc etc etc...most of these things haven't been announced. While they are a concern and should be discussed, I get tired of seeing other's negative opinion put out as FACT when we honestly don't yet know.

I am very excited! I almost feel like I touched a quantum mirror and entered an alternate reality. Can't be sure ... everything else seems to be the same :)

thekillman
July 29th, 2017, 01:32 AM

My issue isn't so much with the series (there's plenty of Stargate to learn what works and what doesn't, and write a good series based on that). It's with the subscription system.

Falcon Horus
July 29th, 2017, 05:47 PM
About the footage, maybe was not the correct word to use (i have a hard time with english vocabulary)...

No need to apologize, a lot of folks on the forum do not have English as their native language. And trust me, I have gone lost in translation on many occasions. ;)

My native language is Dutch, for the record.

...i was refering to the fact that there is no new visual content, not necesarily filmed footage. In projects like this i think it is normal to start advertising or promotion by creating new content as new logos or that sort of thing, because that is part of the pre-production phase when they are now if they are going to start filming the episodes in August.
I don't know, i have worked in similar areas (i'm an animator, and i also worked in advertising), and it seems a bit odd to me that fact. But, also, they're MGM so i think when you are a big name you know what you do. haha

I see what you mean and I guess because it's an established universe it wouldn't need a new logo. There's a new name, well sort of... It still starts with Stargate and ends with a new name. :p

But I do see what you mean with the promotion and advertising, and the likes. And of course, when you have worked or work in similar business you kind of know how things are working, or might work or should work.

Falcon Horus
July 29th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Darn it, meant to quote this is well in my previous post...

There is a small percentage of downright negative people throwing out comments about what WILL happen and it's TERRIBLE.

Critical and downright negative are still two different things.

Negative folks are hard to satisfy with anything really. :samanime27:

The show might suck, but at least let's maybe watch it and see how the website and pay system are set up before we all assume it's all going to cost money for the show, and geo-locked, and only 10 mins, and have crap budget, and no gate at all etc etc etc...most of these things haven't been announced.

Actually, you probably have no idea how demeaning (general) you are when you tell a person with less than stellar expectations (negative or critical) to shut up, and just to wait and see. If that's what you want, you're going to be deeply disappointed being on a forum. Gateworld has seen some fascinating times in regards to --- mmm... how shall I put it... differences of opinion.

And a lot more is known:

* 10 episodes of approximately 10 minutes long (the usual length for webisodes)

* filming starts in August

* the director is female, and the writers have done little yet in the industry (familiarity with the franchise is up in the air)

* it will be a prequel, the origin story of Catherine Langford whose father led the dig which unearthed the stargate in Egypt and whose fiancé Ernest got stuck on another planet

* there will be a dark threat which Catherine will have to face (which could actually mess with the canon we know)

* MGM is using this webseries to launch their digital platform, which as you know is geo-locked to anyone outside of the US -- like any digital platform by any big broadcasting company is locked to people outside its viewing area -- broadcasting rights are not a walk in the park either, therefore the international fans are screwed and we all know how people are just not able to keep key elements to themselves in regards to spoiling it for the rest of the globe (yes, it's pet peeve).

* since it's a series to launch a digital platform, it will most likely be hidden behind a pay wall -- how much the subscription will be depends on the content and how they will be using this digital platform

By comparison, here's what a subscription costs at CBS All Access: The platform offers complete access to its complete database of shows, past and present, and access to shows exclusive to All Access, like the new Star Trek show. You pay a monthly fee of 6$ with ads, or 10$ ad-free. That's approximately the same amount as Netflix and Hulu (or so the article says).

HBO Now, which is also a digital platform, costs 15$ a month.
Since they have their own streaming service, it will pull their shows from Amazon Prime in 2018.

* the budget will most likely be crap -- but that's subjective anyway because budgets are always too tight for everything, no matter how large they are, there's never enough money -- for anything... ;)

* and yeah... the likelihood of a gate spinning and gate travelling are rather slim considering it'll be about Catherine -- she didn't travel through the gate as far as canon history tells us
Usually a stargate means science fictional adventure -- travelling to other worlds so you could see why some folks are already disappointed. Even General Hammond was disappointed when the gate wasn't spinning (see episode "200").

While they are a concern and should be discussed, I get tired of seeing other's negative opinion put out as FACT when we honestly don't yet know.

If all you want is flowers and rainbows, then perhaps you should just ignore the critical views and best to put the negative ones on ignore altogether. GW gives you that feature so best to make use of it here. Do keep in mind that if someone quotes the post, you'll still be able to read it though so occasionally that's the only downside to the ignore-function.

Shiner833
July 30th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Not trying to be demeaning at all! I don't believe stating my dislike Of others opinions being passed off as fact should be considered such. I never once stated I think any other person should "shut up" nor insinuated such a thing. As I stated, being critical is fine as I am fairly skeptical myself. The facts you stated were half fact and then followed up by your opinion of what that that will mean. I'm in no way saying that you are wrong and could end up being completely right on all fronts. I just don't think it's a good thing when others come looking for information about the show and are met with "facts" that haven't even been disclosed by the network. I, in fact, very much enjoy reading others opinions. That's why I'm here after all. However, I believe there are those that are a little condescending with their responses to others opinions and excitement because "they've been here a long time and know better." With all that being said, I'll attempt for my opinion to be less "demeaning" in the future...I guess I "have no idea" how not to be.

aretood2
July 30th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Negative folks are hard to satisfy with anything really. :samanime27:

I remember the SGU related posts. " AAAHHH!!! They have eyebrows, that is so wrong!!! They are trying to be like Battlestar Galactica!!! They had eyebrows in that show too!!!!" Grant it I had my own issues with SGU....but I also didn't see it as a pile of filth others did.

* the director is female, and the writers have done little yet in the industry (familiarity with the franchise is up in the air)
Reboots and remakes are best done by those who know the subject by experience or through having watched it..:S

* MGM is using this webseries to launch their digital platform, which as you know is geo-locked to anyone outside of the US -- like any digital platform by any big broadcasting company is locked to people outside its viewing area -- broadcasting rights are not a walk in the park either, therefore the international fans are screwed and we all know how people are just not able to keep key elements to themselves in regards to spoiling it for the rest of the globe (yes, it's pet peeve).

Not having things on Netflix here in the US that are in non-US Netflix is also a pet peeve >.>. Though grant it a much smaller one :)

* since it's a series to launch a digital platform, it will most likely be hidden behind a pay wall -- how much the subscription will be depends on the content and how they will be using this digital platform

By comparison, here's what a subscription costs at CBS All Access: The platform offers complete access to its complete database of shows, past and present, and access to shows exclusive to All Access, like the new Star Trek show. You pay a monthly fee of 6$ with ads, or 10$ ad-free. That's approximately the same amount as Netflix and Hulu (or so the article says).

HBO Now, which is also a digital platform, costs 15$ a month.
Since they have their own streaming service, it will pull their shows from Amazon Prime in 2018.

They really said that it compares to Neflix and Hulu? Netflix and Hulu have shows and movies from several studios, networks, and channels plus original programming. How are they going to compare only one network's worth of shows to that?

And like I said about the Star Trek show, that's too small of a pool of choices for me to bother with a subscription that equals the same price as Hulu with ads or an ad free subscription that nearly equals Netflix.

I sure hope MGM takes that into account...

Not trying to be demeaning at all! I don't believe stating my dislike Of others opinions being passed off as fact should be considered such. I never once stated I think any other person should "shut up" nor insinuated such a thing. As I stated, being critical is fine as I am fairly skeptical myself. The facts you stated were half fact and then followed up by your opinion of what that that will mean. I'm in no way saying that you are wrong and could end up being completely right on all fronts. I just don't think it's a good thing when others come looking for information about the show and are met with "facts" that haven't even been disclosed by the network. I, in fact, very much enjoy reading others opinions. That's why I'm here after all. However, I believe there are those that are a little condescending with their responses to others opinions and excitement because "they've been here a long time and know better." With all that being said, I'll attempt for my opinion to be less "demeaning" in the future...I guess I "have no idea" how not to be.

It is quite impossible given the nature of our mode of communication. Trial and error is the only way....and even then it's not perfect. So don't apologize and simply state if you meant it in such and such way or not and continue. If the reader wants to blow things out of proportion (and not I don't mean FH) then that's their problem. Just some advice :)

Falcon Horus
August 1st, 2017, 04:49 AM
They really said that it compares to Neflix and Hulu? Netflix and Hulu have shows and movies from several studios, networks, and channels plus original programming. How are they going to compare only one network's worth of shows to that?

It was in regard to the fee per month, that's where the comparison ended.

I posted an article on how Netflix operates with its licenses in the other Origins thread. Their budget is quite interesting. :p

[COLOR="#000080"]It is quite impossible given the nature of our mode of communication. Trial and error is the only way....and even then it's not perfect. So don't apologize and simply state if you meant it in such and such way or not and continue. If the reader wants to blow things out of proportion (and not I don't mean FH) then that's their problem. Just some advice :)

What Tood said.

Falcon Horus
August 1st, 2017, 08:56 AM
I was mindlessly surfing the web, looking for a clue as to who might be involved actor-wise in Origins. Was looking whether I could find casting calls -- found a mention but the casting calls were already removed from the casting agency's webpage. Anyhoodle, subscribed to the Stargate Command page cause hell, I'm curious...

Then I continued some more surfing and bumped into an article from the LA Times, which had a mention of the Command website -- so basically Stargate Command will be a glorified Gateworld with some extras, as I understand this bit of text:

“We saw a need for a definitive hub for the ‘Stargate’ fanbase to continue to enjoy news and content, both old and new,” said Chris Ottinger, president of worldwide television distribution and acquisitions at MGM, in Thursday’s statement. “Stargate Command will open a new door for the community to celebrate and interact with all content in a way that has never been done before.”

You know, except that a lot of the content will be exclusive and locked, whereas GW is free for all.

Quantumentanglement
August 1st, 2017, 11:12 AM
I was mindlessly surfing the web, looking for a clue as to who might be involved actor-wise in Origins. Was looking whether I could find casting calls -- found a mention but the casting calls were already removed from the casting agency's webpage. Anyhoodle, subscribed to the Stargate Command page cause hell, I'm curious...

Then I continued some more surfing and bumped into an article from the LA Times, which had a mention of the Command website -- so basically Stargate Command will be a glorified Gateworld with some extras, as I understand this bit of text:

“We saw a need for a definitive hub for the ‘Stargate’ fanbase to continue to enjoy news and content, both old and new,” said Chris Ottinger, president of worldwide television distribution and acquisitions at MGM, in Thursday’s statement. “Stargate Command will open a new door for the community to celebrate and interact with all content in a way that has never been done before.”

You know, except that a lot of the content will be exclusive and locked, whereas GW is free for all.

I wonder if it would be better for MGM to post news directly to the news about Stargate section right here at GW. Seems to me that GW is the "definitive hub for the 'Stargate' fan base" :)

Falcon Horus
August 1st, 2017, 12:59 PM
Seems to me that GW is the "definitive hub for the 'Stargate' fan base" :)

From the moment I signed up in 2004 it's been my go-to hub so yeah, I agree. :)

Nozomi
August 10th, 2017, 08:05 PM
From the moment I signed up in 2004 it's been my go-to hub so yeah, I agree. :)

It is a shame that they don't recognize GW as the "definitive hub", i'm new but for the things i've seen here and the things i heard in the Read's podcast, i also agree that it is THE place for Stargate fans.

Another question, when in August are they going to start filming? Somebody knows?

Gatefan1976
August 11th, 2017, 12:31 AM
Lets be fair here, Darren -was- on the panel to announce this, so it's not like us whiney, whingey fans don't have a proxy voice up there.

Falcon Horus
August 12th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Another question, when in August are they going to start filming? Somebody knows?

Probably from the first week, I would think.

Lets be fair here, Darren -was- on the panel to announce this, so it's not like us whiney, whingey fans don't have a proxy voice up there.

But MGM will still be building their own "hub" which would leave Gateworld as the international hub.

Arend(BE)
August 13th, 2017, 10:03 AM
the full "San Diego Comic-Con Panel 2017 | STARGATE: Origins" is finally online on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5htpecZLIzU

Elite Anubis Guard
August 14th, 2017, 12:57 AM
Thanks for sharing, Arend!

Gatefan1976
August 14th, 2017, 01:08 AM
But MGM will still be building their own "hub" which would leave Gateworld as the international hub.
Given that MGM seems to -want- a national hub over an international one by using a region coded delivery system, that's not surprising.
Just Stupid, something MGM is all too familiar with :mad:

Falcon Horus
August 14th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Like anyone is surprised about that. :p

Also, since the big announcement there hasn't been a single peep. You can find literally nothing about Origins filming or who's in it.

Beyond the casting call there's nothing -- and that casting call was from early July, which disappeared around the time of the announcement.

You'd think to keep interest up, they'd be eager to drop some cool behind the scenes stuff or names of actresses/actors, or fun stuff or whatever -- but nada. It's already old news.

thekillman
August 16th, 2017, 08:01 AM
You'd think to keep interest up, they'd be eager to drop some cool behind the scenes stuff or names of actresses/actors, or fun stuff or whatever -- but nada. It's already old news.

Presumably it's still very early in the process. Meaning there simply is very little information. Considering the size and scope of the new series, i think it's clear that MGM is somewhat cautious with this and mostly gauging how popular it still is.

Quantumentanglement
August 16th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Pure speculation ahead! I also think the show is in very early stages. They probably scrambled to get something through for the comic con. I mean seriously, how redundant is the opening line in the trailer: "what if you didn't know the whole story?", for an adventure sci-fi show? It was fine but I found it funny!

Falcon Horus
August 16th, 2017, 05:07 PM
I checked out the writers' twitter accounts. The director has been quiet. The head writer has been posting images of Egyptian rip-off lego figures (Lego doesn't have Stargate sets) to inspire his writing and brighten up his writing space.

And the co-writer has been on an anti-Trump rant more than that there's actual Stargate content to enjoy. He's got a wicked TL feed though. Might follow him for his political stuff alone. :p

It might be early, but if you want to gauge interest and keep it -- you have to put in the effort.

Xaeden
August 26th, 2017, 08:42 AM
I agree with you, but you have to understand where they are coming from. There are three Stargate series, only SG-1 has gone on for a while and there's still a lot to explore. And all of a sudden they are making the fourth without finishing neither of the three(we can argue the possibilities are endless so it can never be finished, but still). Not only that, but this time it has nothing to do with the big three, and despite that fact it still has a potential to ruin the entire Stargate.

Personally, I'm more worried about this being derailed by the unrealistic fan expectation that a continuation should happen instead, even though that's not economically or practically feasible.

Origins is, at least conceptually, a smart move on MGM's part. This way, you have the means to expose new audience members to Stargate who may feel overwhelmed by starting in on its 300+ episodes, but would be less resistant to starting with something that markets itself as the franchise's chronological beginnings. If it works for those people, there's a good chance they'll also be interested in seeing a subsequent fourth actual show. The problem, right now, is that MGM can't finance and put a fourth show on the air by itself. They need to convince a network to air it, and obviously selling it to a network is a problem after how the Sci fi channel tanked the last three series with their idiotic programming decisions. However, if Origins sufficiently builds buzz for the franchise and does well enough, MGM would have a much better case to make when pitching something.

If you at all would like that fourth full-length show, this is a great potential a stepping stone to that. Look at it that way instead of focusing on if you're personally interested in seeing a digital mini-show set in the past. We almost lost the TV continuity and now there's actually some hope for its future thanks to Origins. I'd hate to see that be derailed because fans didn't understand why a revival of an existing show couldn't be put together instead.

Falcon Horus
August 29th, 2017, 02:21 AM
^^ Makes good point!

aretood2
August 29th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Personally, I'm more worried about this being derailed by the unrealistic fan expectation that a continuation should happen instead, even though that's not economically or practically feasible.

Origins is, at least conceptually, a smart move on MGM's part. This way, you have the means to expose new audience members to Stargate who may feel overwhelmed by starting in on its 300+ episodes, but would be less resistant to starting with something that markets itself as the franchise's chronological beginnings. If it works for those people, there's a good chance they'll also be interested in seeing a subsequent fourth actual show. The problem, right now, is that MGM can't finance and put a fourth show on the air by itself. They need to convince a network to air it, and obviously selling it to a network is a problem after how the Sci fi channel tanked the last three series with their idiotic programming decisions. However, if Origins sufficiently builds buzz for the franchise and does well enough, MGM would have a much better case to make when pitching something.

If you at all would like that fourth full-length show, this is a great potential a stepping stone to that. Look at it that way instead of focusing on if you're personally interested in seeing a digital mini-show set in the past. We almost lost the TV continuity and now there's actually some hope for its future thanks to Origins. I'd hate to see that be derailed because fans didn't understand why a revival of an existing show couldn't be put together instead.

Just compare the announcement to The Orville to the news about Origins. Do a news search, and there's more activity about The Orville (An original project) than Origins. The push needed to start a new show requires everything that is going for Orville. Known names, known concept (the Star Trek concept), causal familiarity, and low levels of needed background knowledge. A Stargate reboot would have....none of that. Sorry, I'm a Stargate fan a much as the next poster....but if I mention Star Wars or Star Trek to casual viewers of the occasional sci fi episode and movie, they'll know what I am talking about. But say Stargate....and I'll get absolutely nothing, unless they watched McGuyver or looked up Jason Momoa's TV acting career.

The amount of background knowledge needed for this is huge. The previous names needed for a continuity (that is old cast) is at this point nearly if not totally impossible for several (they've all moved on). So it'll have to be a complete reboot, without a feature film to back it up like SG-1 had. And no one is making a Stargate film reboot with out what's-his-face showing up making the same noise as before. So it will have to be baby steps...small baby steps...

Falcon Horus
August 30th, 2017, 02:30 AM
Just compare the announcement to The Orville to the news about Origins. Do a news search, and there's more activity about The Orville (An original project) than Origins.

You should just say it as it is, as far as Origins goes, there was only the "big" announcement in July and then all went silent again.

The only one tweeting about Origins is one of the writers, Mark I think, and it's images of Lego figures to bring inspiration (if he needs inspiration from an Egyptian lego figure, Origins is doomed from the start :p). The other writer's too busy tweeting everything anti-Trump and the director is probably the most quiet of them all -- probably forgot she has a twitter account. :p

NickEast
August 30th, 2017, 04:27 AM
Just compare the announcement to The Orville to the news about Origins. Do a news search, and there's more activity about The Orville (An original project) than Origins. The push needed to start a new show requires everything that is going for Orville. Known names, known concept (the Star Trek concept), causal familiarity, and low levels of needed background knowledge. A Stargate reboot would have....none of that. Sorry, I'm a Stargate fan a much as the next poster....but if I mention Star Wars or Star Trek to casual viewers of the occasional sci fi episode and movie, they'll know what I am talking about. But say Stargate....and I'll get absolutely nothing, unless they watched McGuyver or looked up Jason Momoa's TV acting career.

I'm sorry, but I wholeheartedly disagree. If I ask anyone about Stargate, they will know. In fact, for me, the chances that I find people who have never seen Trek or Wars but have seen Stargate is quite high. And what about that terrible movie "Gods of Egypt", or the recent portal update for No Man's Sky, or Atlantis: The Lost Empire. There are countless people, and critics, who have drawn the links between those and Stargate. Hell, I have never seen so many gaming sites comment on No Man's Sky having Stargate-like portals (which are pretty much identical in function). Youtube clips are filled with similar comments. And Jason Momoa has an acting career because of Stargate Atlantis. Finding actual fans of Stargate is harder, sure, but finding people who know or have seen it is quite high.

You also can't compare The Orville to Origins. One is a standard TV show, the other a short webseries. One has known producers and actors like Seth McFarlane, while the other has new people or who work in a niche area of the business. One is being properly marketed, while the other remains behind closed doors and a paywall.

P.S.: Nobody really likes reboots in general, regardless of whether they know of it or not. ;)

Falcon Horus
August 30th, 2017, 08:02 AM
People do recognize the gate (proof of that every time it's build up at FACTS, a local comiccon convention) but the show itself -- hardly.

Xaeden
August 30th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Yeah, like Falcon said, give it time. All we have right now is a teaser trailer without any new footage. When there's a proper trailer and MGM is in full promotional mode, the buzz will grow. You're comparing it to an upcoming network show with a full trailer and a full advertising blitz. That's not to say that Origins will definitely be successful, but we're not at the point yet where we can properly gauge if a lot of people might watch it or not.

Also, as I said previously, there's less need for background knowledge with a prequel and if a fourth show (not a reboot or a continuation of an existing show, but a spin-off with a new cast) comes out of this, there's a way to acknowledge the continuity without making it necessary that viewers have seen 300+ episodes. SGU attempted to do that very thing and they did successfully attract a number of new viewers who have said they started watching the franchise because of it and then went back and watched episodes of SG-1/Atlantis or simply were only ever fans of SGU. Its problems were not so much that it was too overwhelming for new viewers: It debuted to big numbers and then went into decline, in part because some felt that many first season episodes dragged, but largely because it was poorly programmed by the Sci Fi channel who insisted on airing it in the fall, against heavy competition and without a proper programming block (at one point, their genius move was to give it old episodes of TNG as a lead-in).

Don't get me wrong, getting a fourth show would be challenging, but it's not an impossibility and that MGM has ditched the movie reboot and is now doing Origins suggests they're trying to make a case for it.

aretood2
August 30th, 2017, 06:38 PM
I'm sorry, but I wholeheartedly disagree. If I ask anyone about Stargate, they will know. In fact, for me, the chances that I find people who have never seen Trek or Wars but have seen Stargate is quite high. And what about that terrible movie "Gods of Egypt", or the recent portal update for No Man's Sky, or Atlantis: The Lost Empire. There are countless people, and critics, who have drawn the links between those and Stargate. Hell, I have never seen so many gaming sites comment on No Man's Sky having Stargate-like portals (which are pretty much identical in function). Youtube clips are filled with similar comments. And Jason Momoa has an acting career because of Stargate Atlantis. Finding actual fans of Stargate is harder, sure, but finding people who know or have seen it is quite high.

You also can't compare The Orville to Origins. One is a standard TV show, the other a short webseries. One has known producers and actors like Seth McFarlane, while the other has new people or who work in a niche area of the business. One is being properly marketed, while the other remains behind closed doors and a paywall.

P.S.: Nobody really likes reboots in general, regardless of whether they know of it or not. ;)

Stargate does have some traction, but not enough for a continuing show that is faithful to established canon. That's just the way I see it. I loath to use the depths of the internet to gauge casual viewers and their knowledge or how it would translate into "ratings". General media reaction on the other hand, that is easier to gauge. I look up "Stargate" and I find none Stargate stuff with its name on the first page of the results on Google via the news option. Bing is a lot more generous though. But what I see are niche results. Not the type of noise that you would expect to find. Call me pessimistic on this if you wish. I'd gladly be wrong.

Yeah, like Falcon said, give it time. All we have right now is a teaser trailer without any new footage. When there's a proper trailer and MGM is in full promotional mode, the buzz will grow. You're comparing it to an upcoming network show with a full trailer and a full advertising blitz. That's not to say that Origins will definitely be successful, but we're not at the point yet where we can properly gauge if a lot of people might watch it or not.

Also, as I said previously, there's less need for background knowledge with a prequel and if a fourth show (not a reboot or a continuation of an existing show, but a spin-off with a new cast) comes out of this, there's a way to acknowledge the continuity without making it necessary that viewers have seen 300+ episodes. SGU attempted to do that very thing and they did successfully attract a number of new viewers who have said they started watching the franchise because of it and then went back and watched episodes of SG-1/Atlantis or simply were only ever fans of SGU. Its problems were not so much that it was too overwhelming for new viewers: It debuted to big numbers and then went into decline, in part because some felt that many first season episodes dragged, but largely because it was poorly programmed by the Sci Fi channel who insisted on airing it in the fall, against heavy competition and without a proper programming block (at one point, their genius move was to give it old episodes of TNG as a lead-in).

Don't get me wrong, getting a fourth show would be challenging, but it's not an impossibility and that MGM has ditched the movie reboot and is now doing Origins suggests they're trying to make a case for it.

That's the big part. Build a case for it. And I think that was the point given a few posts above. Fans shouldn't try to tank Origins thinking that doing so would end up being rewarded with a full blown show or miniseries. If anything, the success of Origins would be a stepping stone towards that eventuality, depending on several variables.
We should take Origins for what it is, decide if it entertains us or not, and proceed accordingly.

Falcon Horus
August 31st, 2017, 02:13 AM
That's not to say that Origins will definitely be successful, but we're not at the point yet where we can properly gauge if a lot of people might watch it or not.

Considering it'll be geo-locked behind a paywall, I'd say the only ones who will be able to watch it (when it's released) are citizens of the American territories who take out a subscription to MGM's new digital channel (like CBS All Access channel).

We should take Origins for what it is, decide if it entertains us or not, and proceed accordingly.

10 10-minute episodes which hopefully do not have a long intro or outro so that only 7 or 8 minutes are truly left for storytelling. :p

Xaeden
August 31st, 2017, 07:44 AM
Considering it'll be geo-locked behind a paywall, I'd say the only ones who will be able to watch it (when it's released) are citizens of the American territories who take out a subscription to MGM's new digital channel (like CBS All Access channel).

Yeah, I'm less concerned with how it's initially released than how it's put out overall. One of their goals is to attract people to their digital service and for that they want hardcore Stargate fans to pay up, but obviously that just means charging them for first access, not perpetual exclusive access. The question is how quickly will they do a second "airing" and on what platforms. The trick is to do it before too many people pirate it and the buzz necessary to get new viewers in on it dies down but we'll see.

lightsyder
August 31st, 2017, 12:06 PM
Got an email with a link to sign up for the pay site...

Looks to be a one time cost of $20. Not sure when it goes live

NickEast
August 31st, 2017, 12:09 PM
Yep, and as feared, it's only for US residents. Ironic, considering Stargate was originally a Canadian production. I'm also guessing then that non-US residents don't get the benefits of early-access.

However, the small screenshots and the heading "Ultimate STARGATE Library" do suggest all the movies and series can be streamed.

Shiner833
August 31st, 2017, 01:26 PM
Yes indeed all content will be available. I only see the part that the "Pre-Sale is only available to US Residents." Unless I'm missing something I don't see that the site itself, when live, will be US only. I took it to mean the pre-sale with free T-Shirt is only available to US. Could be wrong though. Site goes live Sept. 20th.

glennh73
August 31st, 2017, 01:33 PM
Yes indeed all content will be available. I only see the part that the "Pre-Sale is only available to US Residents." Unless I'm missing something I don't see that the site itself, when live, will be US only. I took it to mean the pre-sale with free T-Shirt is only available to US. Could be wrong though. Site goes live Sept. 20th.

Who can become an All-Access member of Stargate Command?

While the pre-sale is for U.S. residents only, fans in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, Australia and New Zealand will be able to purchase the All-Access Pass after the Stargate Command platform launches on September 20, 2017 via an in-app purchase through the Stargate Command mobile app, which will be available on their local app store. Fans in the United States will also be able to purchase an All-Access Pass on stargatecommand.co.

glennh73
August 31st, 2017, 01:34 PM
What do I get for purchasing the All-Access Pass?

Pre-sale Only Exclusive: Official Stargate Origins T-shirt.
Stream the ultimate STARGATE library including all episodes of SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, as well as all three movies; Stargate (1994), Stargate: The Ark of Truth (2008) and Stargate: Continuum (2008).
All-Access members can stream Stargate Origins before anyone else.
Get behind-the-scenes access to Stargate Origins from the writers’ room, to the production, to the premiere.
Receive an authenticated members-only digital edition of Stargate Origins pilot script.
All-Access will be available September 20, 2017 to May 15, 2018 (ending at 11:59 pm Pacific time).

Falcon Horus
August 31st, 2017, 03:23 PM
Sometimes I really hate being right. :vortex04:

Falcon Horus
August 31st, 2017, 03:46 PM
For anyone wondering what that 20 bucks is getting you, I clicked the Press link on the Command site. ;)

Planets Align: Stargate Command All Access Opens For Pre-Sale Ahead Of September 20th Launch For The 20th Anniversary of Stargate SG1-1 (https://stargatecommand.co/pages/press/)

Stargate Command will offer two forms of membership: a free version and an All Access paid membership. Fans will be able to download the Stargate Command app when the platform launches on September 20th. All Stargate Command members will receive a weekly newsletter featuring exclusive updates on the Stargate universe from experts and influencers and a wealth of interactive content through which the Stargate community can engage, including: fan forums, polls, quizzes and more. In addition to posting and commenting on the forums, members can create their own profiles and rise through the ranks at Stargate Command, all the way to the coveted “Ascension” level.

And where does that leave Gateworld.net?
This is the bloody fan forum -- always has been.

In addition to the aformentioned content, Stargate Command All Access members will receive an incredible lineup of insider content and unprecedented access to the production of Stargate Origins, from development and pre-production through the show’s premiere. All Access members will also have the exclusive opportunity to stream each 10-minute episode of Stargate Origins, as well as enjoy the largest collection of Stargate content ever released in one place including Stargate SG-1, Stargate: Universe, Stargate: Atlantis, STARGATE (the motion picture), STARGATE: THE ARK OF TRUTH, STARGATE: CONTINUUM and video extras, with all material offered in High Definition (subject to availability). Additional benefits include a virtual seat in the writers’ room at various points in the scripting process, and an authentic, limited-edition digital version of the Stargate Origins pilot shooting script. The cost of All Access is a one-time fee of $20.00, which grants members access from the launch of Stargate Command through mid-May of 2018.

Both paid and unpaid Stargate Command members will also get a sneak peek at Stargate Origins, including a weekly window into the show’s production and access to the first two episodes when the series premieres. Fans who purchase the All Access membership during the pre-sale period will receive an exclusive Stargate Origins limited edition T-shirt.

Stargate Command will officially launch on iOS, Android, and online in the U.S. on September 20th All Access is now available for pre-sale in the U.S. at: stargatecommand.co. Stargate Command will be available worldwide through the iTunes Store and Google Play. Internationally, All Access will be available for purchase through app stores in the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, Australia and New Zealand.

Everyone can install the app, but all access is only available for aforementioned countries.

Platschu
August 31st, 2017, 04:19 PM
I have just read the updated SG:C news and I have to express my disappointment. 5 countries only?! Are they kidding? Tell me that they were just joking with this limitation in the XXI. century...

Falcon Horus
August 31st, 2017, 04:38 PM
I have just read the updated SG:C news and I have to express my disappointment. 5 countries only?! Are they kidding? Tell me that they were just joking with this limitation in the XXI. century...

It's all about keeping to broadcasting rights in different countries, which have to be negotiated with local providers. I think MGM has deals with platforms in these countries to broadcast their content, considering Germany is in there which to me is the odd duck of those 5 countries.

Unfortunately that's how the world of media works these days -- and why people download as much as they do.

Game of Thrones is not only the most watched show. It's also the most downloaded show.
It's available a day after it's broadcasted in the US, but again not everywhere.

Falcon Horus
August 31st, 2017, 04:46 PM
Anyone outside of the countries will be happy to know you can still be part of the forums -- the rest will be off-limits. You're not important as a fan.

We are not the fans they are looking for. ;)

See, the interview with the Digital Content whatever of MGM on the main page.

Angela V
September 7th, 2017, 08:34 AM
I'm torn. I'm happy for new Stargate content yet not sure I would like the new content. :mckay:

Falcon Horus
September 8th, 2017, 01:33 AM
I'm torn. I'm happy for new Stargate content yet not sure I would like the new content. :mckay:

Don't worry, many are in the same boat.

And if you don't hail from any of the chosen countries, you don't have to worry about liking or not liking it, you won't get to see it anyway. ;)

jelgate
September 8th, 2017, 05:04 AM
This is nothing new FH. TV has been running like that for a long time

Falcon Horus
September 8th, 2017, 07:44 AM
This is nothing new FH. TV has been running like that for a long time

And instead of getting better, it gets worse.

Yesterday read an article Disney's pulling their Star Wars and Marvel content away from Netflix in 2019 when their contracts run out -- not the Marvel series Netflix produces though. They're going to put it on their own -- wait for it -- digital channel.

jelgate
September 8th, 2017, 09:09 AM
You should be cynical like me

aretood2
September 8th, 2017, 05:18 PM
And instead of getting better, it gets worse.

Yesterday read an article Disney's pulling their Star Wars and Marvel content away from Netflix in 2019 when their contracts run out -- not the Marvel series Netflix produces though. They're going to put it on their own -- wait for it -- digital channel.

And all of a sudden, a certain dark corner of the webs would encounter more traffic as a result. If content producers segregate their content into their own corners like this, people who watch their stuff will run out of funds to subscribe to everything. Their billions will start sliding back to millions I figure.

LtColCarter
September 13th, 2017, 11:04 AM
As I said in another thread... I hate the growing trend of shows going to specialized channels that you have to pay extra money to watch. If I'm going to pay extra money, I want to watch it where I please and not be limited to my phone, tablet, or computer. I wanna watch the mofo on my 80" wide screen!

Xaeden
September 13th, 2017, 01:09 PM
I wanna watch the mofo on my 80" wide screen!

There are accessories that you can buy so you can stream on your TV. And this may not help you at the moment but more and more TVs are coming with the capacity to do so built in.

aretood2
September 14th, 2017, 05:22 PM
There are accessories that you can buy so you can stream on your TV. And this may not help you at the moment but more and more TVs are coming with the capacity to do so built in.

Nothing that a simple HDMI cable can't fix. Just hook the laptop to the TV with that bad boy and you can watch anything. But still, the point is you have to buy a bazillion things for each show. Soon enough, that will turn into a disincentive and people will stop buying and what used to bring in big money will only bring in okay money and then degenerate from there. Unless cable companies offer bulk subscriptions and basically return to the old TV model...just with the ability to access programming with a TV or device and at any desired time.

Falcon Horus
September 15th, 2017, 02:53 AM
Pirating business will be boomin' again, I reckon.

jelgate
September 15th, 2017, 05:30 AM
Did it ever stop?

LtColCarter
September 15th, 2017, 10:33 AM

I actually need to look at all of the extras on my TV. I only use the Amazon and Netflix features so far. I know there's Hulu as well, but I don't know if there's a "browser" that would let me access the Stargate Command stuff.

Falcon Horus
September 15th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Did it ever stop?

I didn't say it stopped and plenty is still pirated but many people have more options to stream legally.

However, if every production house decides to have their own streaming channel and ask people to buy access, the biz of pirating will probably go up again.

LtColCarter
September 15th, 2017, 10:35 AM
Nothing that a simple HDMI cable can't fix. Just hook the laptop to the TV with that bad boy and you can watch anything. But still, the point is you have to buy a bazillion things for each show. Soon enough, that will turn into a disincentive and people will stop buying and what used to bring in big money will only bring in okay money and then degenerate from there. Unless cable companies offer bulk subscriptions and basically return to the old TV model...just with the ability to access programming with a TV or device and at any desired time.

Think of those people who have laptops without an HDMI connection on it. If you get one of those super thin laptops...they don't have HDMI connections. Thankfully...my laptop has a wide array of connections. :D

aretood2
September 15th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Think of those people who have laptops without an HDMI connection on it. If you get one of those super thin laptops...they don't have HDMI connections. Thankfully...my laptop has a wide array of connections. :D

Then those aren't really laptops, just over glorified tablets with keyboards.

Falcon Horus
September 15th, 2017, 03:20 PM
They have mini USB connections for which you can buy cables -- mini usb to HDMI. ;)

LtColCarter
September 19th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Then those aren't really laptops, just over glorified tablets with keyboards.

This is true.

They have mini USB connections for which you can buy cables -- mini usb to HDMI. ;)

Uggg...yet more things to buy! This would mean less money to spend on my lizards! :lol:

Falcon Horus
September 20th, 2017, 01:23 AM
Uggg...yet more things to buy! This would mean less money to spend on my lizards! :lol:

Lizards take priority over cables. ;)

LtColCarter
September 20th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Lizards take priority over cables. ;)

Yes...my four iguanas take priority! :) As well as my dogs and kid! ;) :lol:

Falcon Horus
September 20th, 2017, 02:17 PM
You got your priorities straightened out -- is that in order of importance? :p

NickEast
September 20th, 2017, 02:35 PM
I found something interesting in the app. If you don't have an all-access pass, and you try to watch an episode, it asks you to subscribe. There's a button that takes you to a page with information about a monthly ($2.99) or yearly ($29.99) subscription.

Edit: the app is also not immediately blocking the payment option, even though it knows my account's location. I haven't clicked buy yet, who knows what's going to happen.

Falcon Horus
September 20th, 2017, 02:49 PM
I own all seasons on DVD -- not gonna happen.

(except for SGA season 4 and 5, and SGU -- which I'm not interested in acquiring just yet)

aretood2
September 20th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I own all seasons on DVD -- not gonna happen.

(except for SGA season 4 and 5, and SGU -- which I'm not interested in acquiring just yet)

I wonder, does their subscription thing include commentaries and such that would be found in those DVD's?

Falcon Horus
September 21st, 2017, 12:10 AM
I wonder, does their subscription thing include commentaries and such that would be found in those DVD's?

It doesn't -- people already asked. It's episodes only, English subtitles only and no extended versions of episodes like the extended version of Threads.

aretood2
September 21st, 2017, 12:26 PM
It doesn't -- people already asked. It's episodes only, English subtitles only and no extended versions of episodes like the extended version of Threads.

That's dumb.

DrMckay
September 21st, 2017, 11:10 PM
That's dumb.

Well, no, it's the long awaited revival of the franchise, didn't you hear? :P

Time to get with the program son... (Get a bit closer to your screen and smell that glorious sarcasm ?)

Falcon Horus
September 22nd, 2017, 03:19 AM
Well, no, it's the long awaited revival of the franchise, didn't you hear? :P

Time to get with the program son... (Get a bit closer to your screen and smell that glorious sarcasm ?)

I think we can even taste it. :p

Az'ryel
September 22nd, 2017, 03:24 AM
If I think about it, a lot of new parts of things are called origins lately somehow, or back to origins. Must be the thing currently to show how things have started when the actual franchise has lived for a while already

Falcon Horus
September 22nd, 2017, 06:21 AM
LOL -- it's a phase. :p

Will franchises grow out of it?

Az'ryel
September 22nd, 2017, 07:15 AM
I doubt they will, the only problems with those I sometimes have that they actually confuse things a little, stating that in an origin part when they have stated a diffrent thing in the first parts of a series about the same matters

Falcon Horus
September 22nd, 2017, 12:58 PM
They hope no one notices. :p

NickEast
September 22nd, 2017, 04:20 PM
It's the same with reboots, isn't it?

aretood2
September 22nd, 2017, 06:08 PM
I think we can even taste it. :p

I practically choked on it.

epg20
September 23rd, 2017, 02:09 AM
well I had no idea that this even existed, and I gotta say that I am as hot about this as a glass of tap water, things like this are a difficult thing to do, I mean it worked for The Goldbergs, but they didn't have a story line to link up to, it just looks like, it being a period piece, they just don't do so well in a situation like this.

Az'ryel
September 23rd, 2017, 03:31 AM
It's the same with reboots, isn't it?

Indeed, that is why I am not a fan of reboots at all, especially when I liked the show or movie or whatever is getting a reboot

Falcon Horus
September 23rd, 2017, 02:59 PM
Nothing beats the original...

jelgate
September 23rd, 2017, 04:10 PM

I don't know . I'd rather watch the Stargate TV shows than the original movie any day

Falcon Horus
September 23rd, 2017, 04:26 PM
I don't know . I'd rather watch the Stargate TV shows than the original movie any day

But it wasn't a reboot... SG1 was a continuation.

jelgate
September 23rd, 2017, 05:19 PM
Still not the original

Az'ryel
September 24th, 2017, 01:10 PM

Agreed, and things get even worse if you liked the characters in the original and the reboot has them act differently. So I am cautious with all that is called "origins"

Falcon Horus
September 24th, 2017, 03:24 PM
True... still not the original -- with one L. :p

thekillman
September 27th, 2017, 01:12 AM
Agreed, and things get even worse if you liked the characters in the original and the reboot has them act differently. So I am cautious with all that is called "origins"

Well, the characters in SG1 looked very different from the original. And daniel stopped sneezing all the time.

Falcon Horus
September 27th, 2017, 01:43 AM
Well, the characters in SG1 looked very different from the original. And daniel stopped sneezing all the time.

That would have been bad press for anti-allergy medication. :p

thekillman
September 27th, 2017, 04:16 AM
That would have been bad press for anti-allergy medication. :p

You just made me imagine the creators sitting down in a dark room, the military advisors on one side and the medical ones on the other.

MILITARY "can we change the scrip here so it doesn't make the military look bad?"

PHARMACEUTICAL " Can daniel sneeze more, then visibly take our medication on screen and stop sneeing?"

KLEENEX: "DONT YOU DARE!"

Falcon Horus
September 27th, 2017, 04:59 AM
LOL :lol:

THIS. So very this. :p

Az'ryel
September 27th, 2017, 02:03 PM

Yes, I know but th e looks tome, I think I am used to that from movie adaptions of books. They also changed Weir's look from SG1 to SGA so that is not just an "origins" thing

NickEast
September 27th, 2017, 02:27 PM
They also changed Weir's look from SG1 to SGA so that is not just an "origins" thing

They changed the actress between The Lost City and New Order. Torri Higginson already appeared in SG-1 before Atlantis, though as to why they changed her remains unknown

Falcon Horus
September 27th, 2017, 03:02 PM
They changed the actress between The Lost City and New Order. Torri Higginson already appeared in SG-1 before Atlantis, though as to why they changed her remains unknown

I think, if I remember correctly, it was a matter of commitment.

aretood2
September 30th, 2017, 07:44 AM
I didn't even notice the change (I saw the SG-1 Episode a good bit of time before I paid attention to Atlantis.