PDA

View Full Version : THE ORVILLE: News/Trailers/Discussion/SPOILERS

epg20
May 21st, 2017, 07:13 PM
this is a scifi comedy by seth mcfarline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8aUuFsXRjU

TOIVA
May 22nd, 2017, 04:02 AM
Looks great. I'm sorta inclined to say this looks more Trek than the Discovery trailer. Kinda shows you don't need to be edgy, lens-flarey, dark, etc. (and everything nowadays is, including Dark Matter and sadly even Killjoys from the second season onwards).

DigiFluid
May 22nd, 2017, 07:41 AM
Seth MacFarlane can be pretty hit-or-miss, but this looks like fun. Hope it turns out okay.

jelgate
May 22nd, 2017, 08:45 AM
I'm not expecting much to be honest. Most of MacFarlane's shows are low grade garbage. As always I will try it, so the hack can prove me wrong

Morgania
May 25th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Looks amusing, will probably watch.

Annoyed
June 3rd, 2017, 04:38 PM
Bah. Another shot at knocking Galaxy Quest off the throne.

I'll check it out, though.

epg20
July 27th, 2017, 01:17 PM
another pretty good trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz0xCehKWCQ

Kilgharrah
August 12th, 2017, 01:14 AM
The new trailer is brilliant. Definitely gonna watch that.

knowles2
August 12th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Looks better than Star Trek Discovery, now if only they cut out the crap jokes.

jelgate
August 12th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Looks better than Star Trek Discovery, now if only they cut out the crap jokes.

What do you expect from a show produced by Seth MacFarlane?

knowles2
August 13th, 2017, 03:51 AM
What do you expect from a show produced by Seth MacFarlane?

Exactly what Orville delivers in the trailer, I didn't expect to look and have a more Star trek style than Star trek Discovery does. Cut out the jokes and this would be a better star trek series than ST:D

Kilgharrah
August 13th, 2017, 09:54 AM
I Dont understand why everyone has a problem with the jokes
Sometimes all w ended is just a simple dose of purely stupid puns amidst all of our serious sci fi shows and our very serious RL

epg20
August 21st, 2017, 10:06 PM
i have just one question, is it an hour or half hour?

epg20
August 28th, 2017, 12:55 AM
ok, it's a 1 hour show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5691552/

epg20
August 29th, 2017, 11:49 PM
found this:

'The Orville' is a Dream Project for Seth MacFarlane | Comic-Con 2017 | MTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQD21yfYh9Q

Annoyed
September 11th, 2017, 03:23 AM
I like this so far... And Tovia was right, this does have a strong Star Trek (TNG era) flavor to it.

But.. No Transporters?

Cmdr Sean Coll
September 11th, 2017, 05:10 AM
Just watched the first episode of this new series and to me a long time star trek fan, I feel like this is the spiritual successor to Star Trek in many ways. Basically it's a combo of the original and next gen with a comedy twist. Light upbeat and aspirational. But that is my opinion.

LtColCarter
September 11th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Hmmm...I might have to check this out. Seems to be getting good reviews...

garhkal
September 11th, 2017, 12:43 PM
It is getting ok reviews and better.. SO i might see it online after it airs on TV..

gatechick
September 16th, 2017, 11:41 AM
I enjoyed the first episode. I miss lighthearted sci-fi so this fits the bill for me. I will be watching it again this Sunday.

DigiFluid
September 16th, 2017, 12:17 PM
I didn't hate it. Seems like most of the gags from the trailer were from the first episode, so I'll be interested to see how subsequent episodes play out.

Annoyed
September 18th, 2017, 03:23 AM
I'm glad this is moving to Thursdays nights. Too hard to reliably DVT it on Sunday, NFL games often run well past their allotted time. Last night, this didn't start till 8:48 Eastern

TOIVA
September 23rd, 2017, 09:27 AM
This last episode (103) was surprisingly good. While it remained fun, it tackled a moral dilemma worthy of Picard.

Annoyed
September 23rd, 2017, 09:52 AM
This last episode (103) was surprisingly good. While it remained fun, it tackled a moral dilemma worthy of Picard.
This show is more Star Trek than Star Trek is these days.

jelgate
September 23rd, 2017, 11:34 AM
It tries to be a parody comedy of Star Trek while at the same tries to present modern sociological and cultural issues that the Star Trek franchise is known for.

On a less serious note, I really want to read the Ed Mercer law

aretood2
September 23rd, 2017, 01:23 PM
So far I have liked the past 3 episodes. I saw that the critics hate the show...can't figure out why. It's not the best thing ever, but it is worth the hour of time it takes to watch it.

TOIVA
September 23rd, 2017, 03:31 PM
This show is more Star Trek than Star Trek is these days.

I cannot yet truly say that. We'll see in a day or so.
That said, it's definitely a good enough Trek for me.

Kilgharrah
September 26th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Just watched the pilot and I was kinda disappointed.
1- Lots of similarities with Trek.
2- Little or no creativity.
3- CGI is not so good.

It's not a very good space show, but I believe it's a good comedy show.

VampyreWraith
September 26th, 2017, 06:41 PM
Just watched the pilot and I was kinda disappointed.
1- Lots of similarities with Trek.
2- Little or no creativity.
3- CGI is not so good.

It's not a very good space show, but I believe it's a good comedy show.

^That's basically how I felt. I've only watched the first episode, and I think it's a pretty good comedy, but if I was to try and take it at all seriously as a sci-fi show I would hate it.

lopo30
September 27th, 2017, 04:02 AM
I don't see this as a comedy. It has funny moments in it but i would not say it's a comedy.
At least it's not a dark drama about war or SGU style we are all going to die so lets have multi culture sex with everything that moves and lets pray for god in a group.

Orville is more like a happy space adventure without dark sad drama.

CGI part they wanted to make it like it was decades ago by using models and less green screen as possible. Thats not like Star Trek that is mostly made in green screen and as much CGI as they can make.

VampyreWraith
September 27th, 2017, 04:21 AM
The first scene is a guy walking in on his wife cheating on him with a blue alien who squirts blue stuff out of his head, a year later they are divorced and she becomes his first officer. If I was to take that in any way seriously (a cheating spouse becoming her ex's first officer) I would hate it, but since the show is not meant to be taken seriously I'm fine with it. I've only watched the first episode, and based on that, I think the show is too silly to be taken seriously as anything other than a comedy. The silliness is what makes the show enjoyable to me.

Kilgharrah
September 27th, 2017, 04:48 AM
Lopo, Actually ST was mostly models. Check TOS.

TOIVA
September 27th, 2017, 06:21 AM
You should check the third episode if possible, I find it far better both in joke delivery and surprisingly even in the deeper theme it has.
The first ep wasn't really good in comparison, I find.

VampyreWraith
September 27th, 2017, 07:44 AM
I'll probably watch more eventually, but I'm not sure I'd like it if it got more serious. The only reason I can actually tolerate the cheating ex-wife being the first officer is because of the silliness (that and because I've liked the actress in other things). I don't care if he was an absentee husband, that's a really lame excuse for cheating in my opinion (I honestly don't think that there is a good excuse for cheating, if you have issues in your marriage, talk about it or just get a divorce). I don't think could take this show seriously and come away liking the characters or the character dynamics.

Kilgharrah
September 27th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Yeah the actress who plays the ex-wife... Adrianne Palicki...
You gotta love. She's finny AND hot.
From Sam's fiancée in supernatural to Bobbi Morse in S.H.I.E.L.D.
You gotta love her.

lopo30
September 27th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Lopo, Actually ST was mostly models. Check TOS.

STD is mostly CGI and green screen. I wasnt talking about TOS or TNG or STDS9 or STV or STE

Annoyed
September 27th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Yeah the actress who plays the ex-wife... Adrianne Palicki...
You gotta love. She's finny AND hot.
From Sam's fiancée in supernatural to Bobbi Morse in S.H.I.E.L.D.
You gotta love her.

My name is Annoyed and I agree with the above post. She is quite the hottie.

Again, very Star Trekish.. Trek shows have always had their eye candy.

VampyreWraith
September 27th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Yeah, Adrianne Palicki is very beautiful and talented.

Annoyed
September 28th, 2017, 06:26 PM
This show is really trying to be Star Trek.
Anyone notice this week's ep is a mishmash of several TOS episodes, primarily "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky" & "The Paradise Syndrome", with bits from David Gerrold's TOS Novel "The Galactic Whirlpool" thrown in too.

TOIVA
September 29th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Oops, appears I was somewhat mistaken. They might want to go the more serious way (somewhat). That also means The Orville can pretty much fully fill my need for Star Trek.

Btw, great cameos and guest stars, I'm amazed.

aretood2
September 30th, 2017, 05:57 AM
STD is mostly CGI and green screen. I wasnt talking about TOS or TNG or STDS9 or STV or STE

That is a very unfortunate acronym :P

Annoyed
September 30th, 2017, 01:01 PM
That is a very unfortunate acronym :P
Get your mind out of the gutter, Vulcan! :D

knowles2
September 30th, 2017, 02:48 PM
I'm really enjoying this show. It way way better than Star trek discovery.

epg20
October 1st, 2017, 01:14 AM
well, I haven;'t seen all of the shows, but from what I have see, I have liked, it isn't anything like must see tv, but it isn't complete garbage either, so I give it a preliminary 6 1/2 still early on, so am not going to lock it in yet.

lopo30
October 1st, 2017, 02:05 AM
There will be 2 old star trek captains appearing in this show as IMDB shows.
I wont spoil the names.

Right now we can say it looks better then Discovery but so far we have not seen any episodes of the Star Trek Discovery as these 2 that are out are like a movie of the main characters past and today we see the STD first episode that could be named as pilot to. As the two episode past story had nothing to do with the discovery story.

I will watch both but so far ii really like this Orville.
Only optimistic future tv show we have right now that is story per episode and not full season or series.
Now all we are missing is Q from Star Trek. I always loved Q in ST series cause the actor who played him did the best job for it and would fit very well to Orville to.

This show needs it's own sub forum or is it to soon to make ?
Somehow i dont see that this show gets canceled, especially as the names that will appear in this show and how much this feels like ST series and how much old ST fans like this more over Discovery.

TOIVA
October 14th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Gotta say I loved the 6th episode: "The Krill". A "how to" for making a convincing alien prosthetic yet keeping the actors able to perform.

Annoyed
October 15th, 2017, 12:31 PM
This show is a stroke of genius.
It's more "Star Trek" then Trek itself is these days, and it's timed perfectly to satisfy the demand of a lot of Trek fans who can't or don't want to buy a subscription to CBS's streaming service, as well as a gadget to attach to their TV so you can watch it.

aretood2
October 15th, 2017, 05:18 PM
It's more "Star Trek" then Trek itself is these days, and it's timed perfectly to satisfy the demand of a lot of Trek fans who can't or don't want to buy a subscription to CBS's streaming service, as well as a gadget to attach to their TV so you can watch it.

HDMI cables come with most DVD players...as long as you have a real laptop though. I am enjoying Orville for what it is. I really liked this week's episode. So far it is my favorite.

Annoyed
October 16th, 2017, 03:12 AM
Oh, I can connect a laptop to the TV via HDMI, but why can't they just publish an app that I can install on the TV? Too cheap to make a deal with the TV OEM? Whatever, I don't care.

And then there is the cost of a subscription to a service to get access to one show. I might subscribe eventually. But not right now.

aretood2
October 16th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Oh, I can connect a laptop to the TV via HDMI, but why can't they just publish an app that I can install on the TV? Too cheap to make a deal with the TV OEM? Whatever, I don't care.

And then there is the cost of a subscription to a service to get access to one show. I might subscribe eventually. But not right now.

I think it depends on your TV, the newer ones should work like apps on a handheld device. Some devices can also transmit the image via the TV itself or the DVD player wirelessly. But yeah, it is a bit of a hassle.

Annoyed
October 16th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Nah, the FAQ's on CBS's site say they don't have any apps. for smart TV's. Gotta buy either a Google or Amazon dongle to plug into the TV's USB port or watch it on a gadget or laptop.

Spimman
October 17th, 2017, 05:19 AM
I'm really enjoying this show. I love the comedy aspect which generally has me laughing out loud multiple times per episode, but I am also seeing them build on characters and villains which gives me hope for the future of the show. Assuming ratings are good enough for renewal.

Teddybrown
October 18th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Seth McFarlane is already talking about working on a season 2 if I remember correctly

jelgate
October 18th, 2017, 11:48 AM
With all do respect, writers are always talking about the next season no matter how slim chances are

Annoyed
October 18th, 2017, 03:41 PM
The Cancel Bear (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/renewcancel/cancel-bear-vs-fox-week-3-the-gifted-should-be-rewarded-with-a-second-season/) Has The Orville as likely to be renewed.

jelgate
October 18th, 2017, 04:05 PM
You missed the point

aretood2
October 21st, 2017, 06:59 AM
You know, while I find this show entertaining I really don't find it all that hilarious. It hasn't made me laugh. *Is sadtood*

Annoyed
October 21st, 2017, 12:29 PM
Maybe the joke is that it's more Star Trek than Star Trek is these days. But I agree, I'm not getting a lot of laughs out of it either. But that's ok. I like it all the same.

hedwig
October 21st, 2017, 02:15 PM
I've been getting a bunch of "smiles" from some parts of the episodes so far shown. :)

TOIVA
October 24th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Yeah, the gags are hit and miss for me too. But some laughs are better than none.

Kilgharrah
October 26th, 2017, 12:13 AM
Just watched the Charlize Theron episode. Simply brilliant...

Here's a question about episode 5
does anyone understand the science of destroying a wormhole? How exactly can you do that?

jelgate
October 26th, 2017, 10:32 AM
However you want as wormholes aren't real as far as we know

aretood2
October 26th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Just watched the Charlize Theron episode. Simply brilliant...

Here's a question about episode 5
does anyone understand the science of destroying a wormhole? How exactly can you do that?

Reversing the polarity?

Gatefan1976
October 26th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Reversing the polarity?

You are confusing the polarity.

Spimman
November 3rd, 2017, 12:17 PM
The Orville was renewed (http://deadline.com/2017/11/the-orville-renewed-for-season-2-fox-seth-macfarlane-1202200369/) for a 2nd Season

Maybe we can get a specific discussion area for the show now. These single threads are tough because I fear spoilers.

Spimman
November 3rd, 2017, 01:19 PM
This weeks episode was awesome, focusing on characters that usually get less attention. I have been pleasantly surprised by the character building being done on this show!

GateWorld
November 8th, 2017, 05:21 PM
If you guys are ready for a dedicated Orville folder, I'll make one. I'm enjoying the show and our episode guide on SciFi Stream is doing really well traffic-wise.

~Darren

EricG
November 8th, 2017, 07:53 PM
If you guys are ready for a dedicated Orville folder, I'll make one. I'm enjoying the show and our episode guide on SciFi Stream is doing really well traffic-wise.
I'm interested. I note the Discovery page at SciFi Stream is empty.

Spimman
November 9th, 2017, 06:18 AM
That would be great, I'd like to discuss some specific episode type stuff and maybe even have threads for certain characters.

Annoyed
November 9th, 2017, 06:46 AM
I'd like to see a dedicated Orville thread as well.

Spimman
November 9th, 2017, 08:49 AM
I wonder if S2 will get 20 episodes or stick to 13. I like longer seasons, but sometimes you end up with better quality on shorter seasons.

epg20
November 10th, 2017, 01:12 AM
I wonder if S2 will get 20 episodes or stick to 13. I like longer seasons, but sometimes you end up with better quality on shorter seasons.

true , yes, like rick and morty, if the show wasn't so good, in story and art, I wouldn't bother watching it any more.

Annoyed
November 10th, 2017, 11:08 AM
I think they're starting to to milk the past relationship and split-up of Mercer & Grayson after Grayson cheated on him, even to the point of coming up with a semi-logical excuse for her betrayal. I smell a lot of shipping coming. :(

jelgate
November 10th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Poor Annoyed. We should get some oil for his robot body

Kilgharrah
November 13th, 2017, 10:15 PM
Even though I really love this show, I really don't see Seth Macfarlane as a ship captain.
In the previous episode, there was this scene of him entering the bridge and walking to his chair and I noticed he was slouched. How many ship captains walk like that excluding the old ones???
Come on! I get that he's the creator and he gets to choose, but he should use his head. There is the physical factor to consider before casting, even when casting himself.

Spimman
November 14th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Isn't that part of the fun of this show though? He's having a bad day, like we all do, and so he slouches into his office (the bridge) and kinda throws himself into his chair (the captains seat) with a sigh and gets to work. He's not military, he's just a normal guy that is the captain of a small ship in the future.

Kilgharrah
November 14th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Not military?
Aren't all captains officers?
He has the rank of commander and so does his ex wife whose walk is much more officer like.

P-90_177
November 14th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Not military?
Aren't all captains officers?
He has the rank of commander and so does his ex wife whose walk is much more officer like.

Civilian ships still have Captains and lower ranks of officer.

But the Union in Orville is the same as Starfleet in Star Trek. They are not military organisations. They do have the capability to bring force to bare when necessary but a military implies that it is an organisation which is solely intended for attack and defence. That is not what is depicted in both universes.

aretood2
November 14th, 2017, 05:04 PM

But the Union in Orville is the same as Starfleet in Star Trek. They are not military organisations. They do have the capability to bring force to bare when necessary but a military implies that it is an organisation which is solely intended for attack and defence. That is not what is depicted in both universes.

Picard pointed that out more than once but I still find this funny though. Not a military but can still hold ground with the most militaristic civilizations in the known galaxy...

P-90_177
November 14th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Picard pointed that out more than once but I still find this funny though. Not a military but can still hold ground with the most militaristic civilizations in the known galaxy...

It's not as strange as you might think. It's merely a concept we haven't adopted in our modern day yet. We don't have an organisation like it which is so highly rooted in science and humanitarian ideals, but is so far out onto the edge of what is known that it has to know how to defend itself. Starfleet and the Union put science, diplomacy and exploration first, but while that might sacrifice the kind of single minded combativeness that comes from a military machine (as demonstrated in the shows with the Klingons or Krill) it is more than made up for by those science and diplomatic traits. The scientific focus allows the Federation to be more advanced technologically, even when you consider the main founders, humans, began as less so than their neighbours; while the diplomacy ensures that the Federation grows more freely and easily than via conquest and ensures that the benefits of working with the federation far outweigh the downsides (for the most part). Of course we still see those same officers as being trained in military tactics and all their ships are well armed... but the reason why they aren't considered military is that they do not rely on this first.

Annoyed
November 14th, 2017, 05:51 PM
It also makes sense that an interstellar society of their level would combine the exploratory function with the defense function; it's simply intelligent expenditure of resources. Why have two separate fleets, each with some of the same capabilities?

P-90_177
November 14th, 2017, 07:13 PM
It also makes sense that an interstellar society of their level would combine the exploratory function with the defense function; it's simply intelligent expenditure of resources. Why have two separate fleets, each with some of the same capabilities?

Indeed. Interestingly, and loosely related to what you mentioned, Annoyed, when NASA first starting sending people into space one of the things they discovered as missions got longer was that it was increasingly difficult to keep crew's mind's adequately stimulated and occupied. That's why they started to run so many scientific endeavours with each mission. But by the time they got to Skylab, they'd actually taken it too far and the crew of Skylab found themselves overwhelmed with work. They basically had no downtime and practically mutinied.

Meanwhile it's also a growing belief among psychologists that part of the reason why the modern day has seen such a rapid rise of mental health issues like depression and anxiety(besides them being more readily recognised) is because many jobs and indeed life in general is built around highly repetitive tasks with very little variety.

So when you think about it, in a future like Star Trek it makes sense for everyone to be polymaths, particularly when on a starship. We haven't seen such evidence of this in The Orville yet, but certainly in Trek almost all Starfleet chracters have multiple specialisations and interests. Merging intellectual scientific discourse with military-like drills would be a great way of ensuring crews remain stimulated during voyages and it's almost a happy accident that comes from necessity.

Kilgharrah
November 15th, 2017, 04:02 AM

Didn't know that.

So has anyone heard the news (http://www.tv.com/news/the-orville-is-losing-an-episode-15107145690039516/)?

Spimman
November 15th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Also unlike the Enterprise, the Orville is a mid-class ship and by no means the Flagship of the Union.

Spimman
November 15th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Yaphit - :lol:

Spimman
November 15th, 2017, 11:36 AM
"We should get some music in these elevators. Little soundtrack to our lives."

Little things like this that I love so much! Don't watch if you haven't seen Cupids Dagger as it has some spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV1v5HthIzw

Kilgharrah
November 15th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Just watched episode 8. The show is feeling more and more like TOS with every episode. I love it.

jelgate
November 15th, 2017, 11:54 AM
What do you do? Ride the elevator all day

TOIVA
November 16th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Gotta say the Orville is still fun. And this 9th episode really worked for me. Darulio's actor for instance was almost magnetic in his performance.

Spimman
November 16th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Found the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVkUpfhh1b0

P-90_177
November 16th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Gotta say the Orville is still fun. And this 9th episode really worked for me. Darulio's actor for instance was almost magnetic in his performance.

Rob Lowe always has that charisma in his roles. I was surprised (pleasantly) that he'd take on a role like it to be honest.

Spimman
November 16th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Rob Lowe always has that charisma in his roles. I was surprised (pleasantly) that he'd take on a role like it to be honest.

Yeah I spotted him under that makeup right away. It helps that I've been re-watching Parks and Recreation over the last couple of months.

aretood2
November 16th, 2017, 05:03 PM
This last episode is my favorite. I actually laughed out loud a little. I really enjoyed the elevator scenes. I hope we see more of that crewmember, the actor really can carry a comedic scene. (Not today's episode, last weeks)

Annoyed
November 17th, 2017, 03:20 AM
Anyone notice the direct references to or outright parodies of Star Trek episodes last night? (11/16)
For example, "stepping into the turbolift and stepping into space"? Picard had the same experience in "Where No One Has Gone Before".
There were a few others as well.

Spimman
November 17th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Reminded me of DS9 "Distant Voices" and TNG "Remember Me" among other episodes but at the same time it stood on it's own.

Annoyed
November 17th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Reminded me of DS9 "Distant Voices" and TNG "Remember Me" among other episodes but at the same time it stood on it's own.
I've never watched most of DS9, but yeah, I can see "Remember Me" too.

Maybe we ought to start a thread in the games section for spotting Trek parodies in The Orville.

jelgate
November 17th, 2017, 01:56 PM
That is every episode:P

Annoyed
November 17th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Be a fun game for next season, though.

hedwig
November 18th, 2017, 01:27 PM
The most recent episode reminded me a bit of the episode where Beverly Crusher kept experiencing the loss of crew members until she was the only one left on the Enterprise and had to figure out what was going on.

Annoyed
November 18th, 2017, 02:35 PM
The most recent episode reminded me a bit of the episode where Beverly Crusher kept experiencing the loss of crew members until she was the only one left on the Enterprise and had to figure out what was going on.

That was "Remember Me".

Spimman
November 20th, 2017, 08:04 AM
I think they may start an Orville section soon so we can have a thread to track Trek references, whether it be a game or just informational. We could also track them in the individual episode threads.

TOIVA
November 20th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Woohoo, we got Richard Woolsey, alias the Doctor, alias Dr. Zimmerman last episode!
Also, if that wasn't a prime example of an essentially Star Trek episode, then those Star Trek series I've watched must have been frauds.

Also, "I've crushed an alligator in the cargo bay." :D

Annoyed
November 20th, 2017, 03:50 PM

A lot of Trek fans like myself balk at subscribing to a service an d buying a gadget to plug into the TV (Yes, I know, I can stream on computer and show on TV via HDMI. But it's a P.I.T.A.) I understand their need to pay the bills. So put it on Netflix, Amazon Prime or something; a payed streaming service. I have other objections to that marketing type as well, but I digress.

From what I've read, it's not all that good anyway. I'll wait till it's available via convenient distribution.

So there is this frustration over real "Trek", and into that void steps The Orville, which is more Trek than Trek itself is.

The idea to do that, and more importantly the planning to have it on the air at the same time says a lot about MacFarlane.

aretood2
November 20th, 2017, 04:14 PM
I actually found myself laughing a bit in these last two episodes. I think subtle comedy and comedy that deals with timing is what works best for this show. I am really liking it. I certainly am looking forward to the next season even before this one is finished.

lopo30
November 21st, 2017, 10:13 AM

A lot of Trek fans like myself balk at subscribing to a service an d buying a gadget to plug into the TV (Yes, I know, I can stream on computer and show on TV via HDMI. But it's a P.I.T.A.) I understand their need to pay the bills. So put it on Netflix, Amazon Prime or something; a payed streaming service. I have other objections to that marketing type as well, but I digress.

From what I've read, it's not all that good anyway. I'll wait till it's available via convenient distribution.

So there is this frustration over real "Trek", and into that void steps The Orville, which is more Trek than Trek itself is.

The idea to do that, and more importantly the planning to have it on the air at the same time says a lot about MacFarlane.

If your TV have WIFI and is connected to your home network, then it's easier then hdmi cable where you need to go to settings of your second screen every time you update graphics drivers.

I have 2 TV's at home and both are with WIFI and i just right click on a movie or tv show and click on the "cast to device"

Teddybrown
November 21st, 2017, 12:10 PM
Im enjoying this series, havent sampled Discovery yet...

Kilgharrah
November 28th, 2017, 10:00 PM
I'm so disappointed in episode 10.
It's so boring. You were doing great, Orville. So what happened?
But hey all the good shows have bad episodes. I'm sure the next will be good.

epg20
November 29th, 2017, 12:49 AM
just a heads up, there is going to be 11 or 12 eps for the first season, they cut one of the eps off so it will be seen as the first ep of season2, my guess is that it is going to be a 2 parter and that second ep is to be the conclusion of the "cliff hanger" that will end season 1

did you catch Robert picardos cameo playing alaras father. it isn't a spoiler, it isn't crucial to any of the plots.

Kilgharrah
November 29th, 2017, 01:00 AM
Yep. It was a nice surprise. The man we know as Woolsey. But it was brief.
This season had many cameos. Whenever you turn, there's an actor/actress you know from something else.

aretood2
November 29th, 2017, 04:55 PM
It took me forever to figure out who Durelio was. It was bugging me the whole episode.
I was going through each of the shows I have watched in my mind until I finally remembered him from Parks and Recreation.

Spimman
December 1st, 2017, 05:57 AM
He was just like Chris Traeger's alien twin brother

jelgate
December 1st, 2017, 06:20 AM
He was just like Chris Traeger's alien twin brother
He was literally the same person

Spimman
December 1st, 2017, 08:29 AM

I see what you did there. Well played. :jack_new_anime07:

aretood2
December 1st, 2017, 04:18 PM

Was that...does that literally count as a pun?

Spimman
December 4th, 2017, 04:29 AM
I really like the way S1 ended. I feel like this was a very successful first season in terms of character building and enjoyment, which can be a tough balance for any S1. Equally tough can be building upon a successful first season, but I hope they do.

jelgate
December 4th, 2017, 04:33 AM
Their is still one episode left

Spimman
December 4th, 2017, 04:57 AM
I thought it got moved to the first episode of S2

jelgate
December 4th, 2017, 05:26 AM
Episode 13 did. However only 11 episodes have aired

Spimman
December 4th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Nice, I need to work on my counting skills

jelgate
December 4th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Maybe the Things can help. They must have learned addition by now

Spimman
December 4th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Sounds like the way of Things

1) Meet SpimWoman
2) Have Things
3) Teach Things how to count
4) Have Things teach me how to count
5) Realize The Orville has a 12th episode this season :D

jelgate
December 4th, 2017, 10:02 AM
6) Don't have The Things watch Orville

aretood2
December 4th, 2017, 04:20 PM
6) Don't have The Things watch Orville

7) Don't let The Things read these posts when they come of age...

Kilgharrah
December 5th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Episode 11 is so funny. I loved it.

LtColCarter
December 6th, 2017, 09:55 AM
The show is enjoyable...but it hasn't made to it the "gotta watch it" status with me.

lopo30
December 8th, 2017, 01:31 AM
So season final is based on star trek voyager one episode where the planet spin fast and there for time was slower on the surface. I dont remember the episode name.

Annoyed
December 8th, 2017, 03:15 AM
I remember that ST episode as well. There are more than a few "borrows" from Star Trek in this series.

Although I like this show, I was definitely not impressed with the ep. 12, the season finale.
Not only did I have the plot nailed the instant the planet came back and it was more advanced than it was 11 days ago, but Mercer and Kelly going on a mission to a strange planet with a hangover, as well as another crewman saying he was drunk later on didn't seem quite believable.
Mercer retaining command after lying to command was a stretch, as was regardless of Mercer's choices, shouldn't Kelly face consequences from command as well? There were other issues as well.

I get the feeling they phoned this one in. Hopefully, we won't see too many more like this.

aretood2
December 8th, 2017, 01:32 PM
I remember that ST episode as well. There are more than a few "borrows" from Star Trek in this series.

Although I like this show, I was definitely not impressed with the ep. 12, the season finale.
Not only did I have the plot nailed the instant the planet came back and it was more advanced than it was 11 days ago, but Mercer and Kelly going on a mission to a strange planet with a hangover, as well as another crewman saying he was drunk later on didn't seem quite believable.
Mercer retaining command after lying to command was a stretch, as was regardless of Mercer's choices, shouldn't Kelly face consequences from command as well? There were other issues as well.

I get the feeling they phoned this one in. Hopefully, we won't see too many more like this.

If this were a series show, yes, your concerns would be spot on. However, don't forget what it is. Though Kelly should have faced a reprimand too since Mercer had one.

That said, this type of story fascinates me. So my brain couldn't help but pick apart the premise for the sake of picking it apart.

1. I highly doubt a child saying some strange lady healed a scrape in her forehead (which no one saw the healing nor the scrape) would lead to a rather complex world belief system that would fill a bible sized book. I mean...who would believe the child's tall tales?

2. Going down and telling one person in a room of very few witnesses the truth is a great way to start a schism...or get the well meaning leader killed by a power hungry underling as it turned out.

3. That world advanced in leaps and bounds when compared to us. Although that's not really unrealistic. We really only have one measuring stick with which to compare it...or a few if you look at things a bit deeper. Keep in mind that we were living without electricity yet building cities for a few thousand worlds. They left the bronze age and arrived to a super advanced teleporting civilization in 2100 years. We've left that age what? 3000 years give or take some centuries? We gots some catching up to do.

4. In the Trekverse messing with primitive cultures is almost as bad as time travel, nothing good can come out of it. I liked how they displayed that for most of the episode and then made an interesting twist at the end. In the end, the civilization ultimately wasn't "poisoned" by the whole affair. In the end, religions to such levels would have developed. Society would have advanced through that and achieved what they achieved. It was a needed development that got them from one point to another. Had they done something more akin to that of ST:Voyager's take of this episode, the personal aspect of it wouldn't have been as strong, that was a nice touch.

5. The ST:Voyager version of this episode is one of my favorites in a way. But Voyager's impact was more believable. It's appearance was a huge change in civilizations' cosmology that required a major shift to explain. This then evolved with each society as they, throughout the eras, attempted to place Voyager in the proper context. In this case we didn't see the development but saw enough to get an idea. That their history wasn't too different from ours and left at an optimistic note.

Annoyed
December 8th, 2017, 03:57 PM
1. I highly doubt a child saying some strange lady healed a scrape in her forehead (which no one saw the healing nor the scrape) would lead to a rather complex world belief system that would fill a bible sized book. I mean...who would believe the child's tall tales?
The group of adults that came into view at the end of that scene. Were they there long enough to have seen it? I think so.

3. That world advanced in leaps and bounds when compared to us. Although that's not really unrealistic. We really only have one measuring stick with which to compare it...or a few if you look at things a bit deeper. Keep in mind that we were living without electricity yet building cities for a few thousand worlds. They left the bronze age and arrived to a super advanced teleporting civilization in 2100 years. We've left that age what? 3000 years give or take some centuries? We gots some catching up to do.
Given the hint...

TOIVA
December 9th, 2017, 02:21 PM
That was a fitting season finale. Which may have been a reason for the 13th episode shifting to next season (or maybe this was the finale from the get go, they just shifted the twelfth episode or something, I guess you never know with Fox).
The story was of course obvious. Any messing with the culture will always make it worse. (Any sci-fi fan would tell you that.) I just kept shouting at the screen that the planet would develop some sort of religion anyway. And that it would lead to some sort of religious rule. All that regardless of whether anybody from Orville ever came down to the planet.
It was thus extremely satisfying that the message of the episode was that humanity learns. Slowly, and that it stumbles along the way. But eventually, it gets better.
That is just so Star Trek and I love it.

Annoyed
December 9th, 2017, 03:26 PM
That was a fitting season finale. Which may have been a reason for the 13th episode shifting to next season (or maybe this was the finale from the get go, they just shifted the twelfth episode or something, I guess you never know with Fox).
The story was of course obvious. Any messing with the culture will always make it worse. (Any sci-fi fan would tell you that.) I just kept shouting at the screen that the planet would develop some sort of religion anyway. And that it would lead to some sort of religious rule. All that regardless of whether anybody from Orville ever came down to the planet.
It was thus extremely satisfying that the message of the episode was that humanity learns. Slowly, and that it stumbles along the way. But eventually, it gets better.
That is just so Star Trek and I love it.

Yes, this show is more Star Trek than Trek itself is these days. And it constantly borrows from Trek; that's part of its appeal.

But the 12th episode was poorly stolen trek. There were far too many things that just didn't make sense, logical holes if you will. Yes, suspension of disbelief is required for sci-fi, but if you ask me, this want way over the line on this. For example, the planet phases between our dimension and its native dimension. Ok, find. But our galaxy & presumably universe is constantly rotating. If you could pick a fixed spot as a stationary "here" point, the stars, planets and such will move.
So, planet goes back home. 700 years, was it? pass before it returns. It will have moved in physical space during that time, so would Orville have as our universe turns. Yet all they had to do is wait for it, and it showed up in front of them.
There was just too much of that kind of logical hole.

jelgate
December 9th, 2017, 04:03 PM
You're talking about something that takes millions and millions of years. 700 years is too insignificant for planetary shift

aretood2
December 9th, 2017, 04:22 PM
The more realistic problem would be...wouldn't the locals notice a totally different night sky for 11 days? That's a pretty significant cosmological shift that would require explanation and be noted and spoken about for centuries after the fact...like 7 centuries. Maybe that would be why Kelly's actions managed to have such a larger impact. It was a "miracle story" that coincided with that shift in the night sky...even though I still don't buy a small scrape being allegedly healed causing much talk of a "miracle" or a goddess (even if the adults saw her do it). At most she would have simply been an agent of whatever proto-religion that they had. It's the second shift that should have also caused a major question regarding how the stars all changed...for 11 days...then a sighting of Kelly. You'd think the power hungry acolyte who killed the their "pope" would have thought twice about it. Then the third shift...I doubt Isaac would have had much trouble convincing people of what was what had he walked into their "UN" on day one and started talking.

Annoyed
December 9th, 2017, 06:15 PM
That's another valid "ooops". Among many. I just get the overall feeling that they phoned this one in and that was that.

P-90_177
December 9th, 2017, 08:48 PM
There's an element of suspension of disbelief in regards to the religion itself, but it's not unreasonable to think that the particular tribe would start to worship Kelly. Yes it's a bit of a stretch that she then became the dominant faith among many, but there are thousands of faiths around the world. The dominant ones got lucky more than anything. The same can be true for Kelly.

As for the other 'holes' in the plot... I don't really see them. There's nothing that can't be just hand waved away in the same manner I do any number of Star Trek episodes. Indeed, the idea of the stars being different wouldn't even matter, because while the planet might appear every 11 days, it only stays in our dimensional realm for a matter of hours, not days. It's something that would likely not even get noticed in the first two visits, and in the 21st century-like time frame, the questions that likely would have been asked would only have been asked after they'd shifted back and by then Issac would have found himself somewhere where he can explain the reason for it.

lopo30
December 10th, 2017, 04:19 AM
The statue and glass picture for windows was the most weird part of it.
The little girl saw Kelly the longest but was that so much time that she remembers the face and uniform.
Older people didnt see her more then 10 seconds.

We cant even remember our own mother or father face if we dont see them over a year or so.
So much unexplained things about this episode, but well tbh i dont care it's still a scifi tvshow to enjoy and not think much of the problems with reality it has.

P-90_177
December 10th, 2017, 07:05 AM
The little girl saw Kelly the longest but was that so much time that she remembers the face and uniform.

We cant even remember our own mother or father face if we dont see them over a year or so.
So much unexplained things about this episode, but well tbh i dont care it's still a scifi tvshow to enjoy and not think much of the problems with reality it has.

They're an alien race. They could have photographic, or even some form of genetic memory for all we know.

hedwig
December 10th, 2017, 12:56 PM

I very clearly remember the faces of my parents and they passed away 20 years ago. I think people remember more than they are given credit for. :)

epg20
December 11th, 2017, 01:03 AM
So season final is based on star trek voyager one episode where the planet spin fast and there for time was slower on the surface. I dont remember the episode name.

don't forget about the DS9 episode, they had something similar, only there was no time change, the planet just phased in and out of existence.

all in all, I think they are doing a fine job, if things keep going at this rate, then I think I can change my rating to a solid 7, I just finished the last three eps and it looks like they may be hitting their stride, so for NOW, I am keeping it a shaky 6 1/2 but I am willing to bet it goes to a solid 7.

TOIVA
December 11th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Yes, this show is more Star Trek than Trek itself is these days. And it constantly borrows from Trek; that's part of its appeal.

But the 12th episode was poorly stolen trek. There were far too many things that just didn't make sense, logical holes if you will. Yes, suspension of disbelief is required for sci-fi, but if you ask me, this want way over the line on this. For example, the planet phases between our dimension and its native dimension. Ok, find. But our galaxy & presumably universe is constantly rotating. If you could pick a fixed spot as a stationary "here" point, the stars, planets and such will move.
So, planet goes back home. 700 years, was it? pass before it returns. It will have moved in physical space during that time, so would Orville have as our universe turns. Yet all they had to do is wait for it, and it showed up in front of them.
There was just too much of that kind of logical hole.

That particular "logical hole" as you call it, is present in every sci-fi story about time travel I've seen. (Cause again, at a different time, the planets, the stars were in a different place. So time travelling from say the top of a pyramid wouldn't put you on top of that pyramid at another point of time.) It's also similar to typical problems with phase-shifting and passing through walls - yet not floors.

The problems with the night sky shift for 11 days in every 7 hundred years or the uncanny resmblance of "Kelly symbols" to Kelly are in my opinion far more interesting. Yet, as shown in this thread, these can also be explained by a specific memory of the locals and by being far more prone to remembering events during those "weird 11 days" every 700 years.

EDIT: Allow one little ironic note on my mentioned time travel: It is most funny when such a time traveller notes how different stars are, which he explains by the time travel, yet doesn't acknowledge the fact he weirdly showed up on the same spot on the same planet he left while time travelling.

Annoyed
December 11th, 2017, 09:44 AM
It stuck out because Orville's command crew stated that "all they had to do was wait where they were".

Kilgharrah
December 12th, 2017, 11:40 AM
OMG! That was amazing!
These possibilities demonstrated in this episode were amazing.
It's just a matter of time till this race is a huge ally.
And Kelly's character is really growing on me. I really like her.
Can't wait for the next season.

LtColCarter
December 12th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Based on the previews before the show started, I didn't think I was going to live the show. However, I grew to love it over the course of the first season. Only thing I don't like is that the first season is already over.

jelgate
December 12th, 2017, 12:58 PM
I think that is on MacFarlane. He only wanted the show to be 13 episodes a season

Ian-S
December 13th, 2017, 05:54 AM
The only thing MacFarlane has done previously that I liked was the original Ted, but this is great, more Trek than Trek, can't wait till next season (iirc season 1 will be shown on Fox in the UK next year).

Spimman
December 13th, 2017, 09:37 AM
I enjoyed the season finale, although I thought episode 11 and 12 should have been swapped as 11 made a better finale IMO. Overall a strong S1 and I hope they continue on the path they set.

LtColCarter
December 13th, 2017, 10:12 AM
I think that is on MacFarlane. He only wanted the show to be 13 episodes a season

Yeah...You get all 13 episodes at once...no breaks until the end of the season. Even though the seasons will be short...that won't deter me from coming back! :-D

StargateMillennium
January 21st, 2018, 06:42 PM
As a person who lacks a sense of humor, Orville was surprisingly enjoyable and even funny at points. And it addresses things that used to always irk me about Star Trek.

I love how they state certain moral questions without doing the Star Trek "let's go in there and enlighten them to the proper human way". They do present interesting arguments that are fair to the situation. Things like Bortus's kid.

Kelly's explanation of fame and renown being the new currency in a money-less universe was way better than Picard's 'we're motivated to just advance the human race' thing.

And I like how Ep 12 was like a direct jab at Star Trek Next Gen and that one ep where they had this primitive society worship Data or Picard and they all lose their minds about how they think they polluted a civilization and Orville comes along and points out how ridiculous that is.

maneth
January 22nd, 2018, 06:59 AM
I've seen the first three episodes and really enjoyed them. Fourth up tonight. It's the only show that I currently watch on broadcast television, rather than through a streaming service.

Annoyed
January 22nd, 2018, 08:44 AM
I've seen the first three episodes and really enjoyed them. Fourth up tonight. It's the only show that I currently watch on broadcast television, rather than through a streaming service.
I think you'll be pleased w/ what's ahead.

LtColCarter
January 22nd, 2018, 09:41 AM

Excellent...it was surprisingly enjoyable for me.

Laxian of Earth
January 23rd, 2018, 04:43 AM
So, I have seen the first two episodes and while I like the design of the ships etc. I don't like the characters much (especially the ex-wife of the captain, hell that women should IMHO keep as far away from her ex-husband as possible, she after all ruined his career (no: Helping him gain command of an inferior ship - compared to what people expected that he'd get as his first command - is NOT enough to make up for it IMHO!)...hell, I admit I wanted her spaced (or otherwise removed from the show!) when he said that she wanted to use a couple's councilor that was related to her (thus even more biased in favor of her as a woman than most councilors, who often fault find the man instead of looking at both partners equally)) and I hate the jokes (I am not against humor, but if a show doesn't take itself serious then I don't like that...I don't like parodies much either and this is deffinitely modelled on Star Trek!)

Still, it does a better job than STD :(

greetings LAX
ps: The ship itself gives me a Voyager vibe sadly...I'd have prefered it if the captain really gained command of a bigger ship (always being in the underdog position if something a little larger than a shuttle confronts you frankly sucks!)

Kilgharrah
January 23rd, 2018, 05:53 AM
Still, it does a better job than STD
Wait what????
They are both amazing. You have got to be kidding me.

P-90_177
January 23rd, 2018, 09:20 AM
Wait what????

Agreed. I love Orville for that 90's Trek vibe but Discovery is still amazing. Especially the last few episodes.

LtColCarter
January 23rd, 2018, 09:46 AM
So, I have seen the first two episodes and while I like the design of the ships etc. I don't like the characters much (especially the ex-wife of the captain, hell that women should IMHO keep as far away from her ex-husband as possible, she after all ruined his career (no: Helping him gain command of an inferior ship - compared to what people expected that he'd get as his first command - is NOT enough to make up for it IMHO!)...hell, I admit I wanted her spaced (or otherwise removed from the show!) when he said that she wanted to use a couple's councilor that was related to her (thus even more biased in favor of her as a woman than most councilors, who often fault find the man instead of looking at both partners equally)) and I hate the jokes (I am not against humor, but if a show doesn't take itself serious then I don't like that...I don't like parodies much either and this is deffinitely modelled on Star Trek!)

Still, it does a better job than STD :(

greetings LAX
ps: The ship itself gives me a Voyager vibe sadly...I'd have prefered it if the captain really gained command of a bigger ship (always being in the underdog position if something a little larger than a shuttle confronts you frankly sucks!)

Wow...we must be watching totally different shows my friend. I cannot speak about STD as I don't want to subscribe to a service for just one show. However, Orville rocks. I didn't think I'd like it due to the humor aspect...the commercials made it seem forced. However, once I watched it...I was hooked!

Ian-S
January 23rd, 2018, 09:52 AM
Wait what????

They are both good but Orville is more Trek than Discovery. If you mute the volume on both programs and asked a non-viewer which one was Trek I bet they'd pick Orville from the look alone.

Discovery is a cookie cutter space war drama, it's not 'Trek', all the twists in the last few episodes were predicted months ago online and were easy to work out, I sussed them before the mid-season break.

Laxian, stick with Orville, the story and explanation of the wife is revisited, and explained later in the series in the most amusing, and unusual way.

Kilgharrah
January 23rd, 2018, 11:24 AM
You know, the costumes and the ship alone are a giveaway even if you mute the volume. ;)

P-90_177
January 23rd, 2018, 11:28 AM
Also there's a very good reason why Orville has more of a star trek feel and that is because they are literally reusing plots from Voyager and TNG. :P

Az'ryel
February 23rd, 2018, 09:53 AM
This show gets on TV in my corner of the world now too...already...as always so far behind...

Spimman
July 23rd, 2018, 11:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lavy7qZ1aoo&t=3s

Spimman
July 23rd, 2018, 11:01 AM
If a "The Orville" section is coming, I hope it comes before Season 2. This is a show I would love to discuss episode by episode.

aretood2
July 23rd, 2018, 04:10 PM
I like the tone of this trailer and agree with what's-his-face, Orville was not marketed well as far as tone and intent goes. It's a light hearted sci fi, not a comedy sci fi.

Spimman
July 24th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Nice to see Dann the Alien in the promo. I would love to see a bit more screen time for him, but not too much.

Annoyed
July 24th, 2018, 09:25 AM
If a "The Orville" section is coming, I hope it comes before Season 2. This is a show I would love to discuss episode by episode.

Yes, I would like to see a board for this show too.

hedwig
July 24th, 2018, 01:06 PM

Isn't this The Orville section? :)

aretood2
July 24th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Isn't this The Orville section? :)

It's not the same as a subforum. It is easier to discuss things without spoiler tags. I am guessing that an Orville section is based on the traffic of this thread. But given Gateworld's traffic in general...I don't know.

Ian-S
July 26th, 2018, 03:32 AM
The only problem with this is Fox has relegated it to Sunday nights after the NFL (or I'm getting muddled with another show) either way it's like they are trying to kill the show before it becomes REALLY popular, I don't think they expected it to be as popular as it was, it was certainly the unexpected hit of 2017, and well, it certainly seems like they're trying to kill it.

aretood2
July 26th, 2018, 06:48 AM
The only problem with this is Fox has relegated it to Sunday nights after the NFL (or I'm getting muddled with another show) either way it's like they are trying to kill the show before it becomes REALLY popular, I don't think they expected it to be as popular as it was, it was certainly the unexpected hit of 2017, and well, it certainly seems like they're trying to kill it.

Wouldn't it have the opposite effect? All of those people watching TV at the end of the game...a percentage of them would most likely stay tuned to watch what's next. Even if that's 1% of everyone who watched the game that's still a hefty crowd. FOX's ratings for late Sunday division rounds was at around 35 Million viewers. Just 1% is an extra 350,000 viewers. The pilot which aired on Sunday night had 2.8 million adults 18-49 with 8 Million Live+same day stream viewers with a total of 14 Million across all platforms. That number went down on the move to Thursday to 6 Million live+Same Day Stream viewers at the end of the season. Some of that came from the NFL game right before it.

It will probably start with at least 6 Million live+Same Day viewers...no less than 5 Million. And those are low very conservative numbers.

Looney
July 26th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Wouldn't it have the opposite effect? All of those people watching TV at the end of the game...a percentage of them would most likely stay tuned to watch what's next.

I wish that were true, but I highly doubt it. That seems like a logical argument, but more than likely people turn to other things after the game is over. The big thing you have to consider is that after the game is over there is the mandatory Post Game Show; the discussion by overpaid ex-players about what happened in the game people just watched and what happened in all of the games of the week. It is mandatory and you would have to expect all of those viewers who watched the game to sit through the entire Post Game Show to watch the Orville. And if the game runs long they still have that stupid Post Game Show. That is why I say this is not a good time slot. But who knows. My fingers are crossed that it will work.

Annoyed
July 26th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Time shifters are a big part of an audience these days, and putting it on at wildly unpredictable times will kill that. You don't want to program the DVR to record from 8 pem to midnight to catch one show, for example.

Of course, the proper solution is to end the games on time. If it is scheduled to end at 8, it ends at 8 and the network goes to what's next.

But pigs might fly first.

aretood2
July 27th, 2018, 08:29 AM
I wish that were true, but I highly doubt it. That seems like a logical argument, but more than likely people turn to other things after the game is over. The big thing you have to consider is that after the game is over there is the mandatory Post Game Show; the discussion by overpaid ex-players about what happened in the game people just watched and what happened in all of the games of the week. It is mandatory and you would have to expect all of those viewers who watched the game to sit through the entire Post Game Show to watch the Orville. And if the game runs long they still have that stupid Post Game Show. That is why I say this is not a good time slot. But who knows. My fingers are crossed that it will work.

Time shifters are a big part of an audience these days, and putting it on at wildly unpredictable times will kill that. You don't want to program the DVR to record from 8 pem to midnight to catch one show, for example.

Of course, the proper solution is to end the games on time. If it is scheduled to end at 8, it ends at 8 and the network goes to what's next.

But pigs might fly first.

It's risky, I admit. However one thing that does work against it and I think it did work against it, is changing the time slot all together. Moving a show in the middle of a season or not announcing the return of that show after a hiatus in time kills shows faster than whatever was on before it. So here's to enjoying similar numbers but with more stability, that's really the best we can hope for.

Annoyed
July 27th, 2018, 01:14 PM
It's risky, I admit. However one thing that does work against it and I think it did work against it, is changing the time slot all together. Moving a show in the middle of a season or not announcing the return of that show after a hiatus in time kills shows faster than whatever was on before it. So here's to enjoying similar numbers but with more stability, that's really the best we can hope for.

CW is taking a chance with Supergirl, too, moving it to Sunday nights, opposite sports, which frequently runs way late.

jelgate
July 28th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Not really. It's their 2nd highest rated show. Every network factors in football overrun when they look at the numbers

AleksisMi
July 31st, 2018, 12:09 AM
this may sound crazy, but have a aerial broadcast channel nationally, that is just for tv shows that are sci fis etc

Annoyed
July 31st, 2018, 03:08 AM
this may sound crazy, but have a aerial broadcast channel nationally, that is just for tv shows that are sci fis etc

You would have to have a network of broadcast stations; TV signals are Line Of Sight, the curvature of the earth would prevent one station from reaching the entire country. But we already have networks.. And they carry jockstrap crap.

A sci-fi oriented or exclusive network would not be financially workable.

Spimman
July 31st, 2018, 06:26 AM

~Darren

This was from Darren, so I think he'll do it with enough requests. :D

DigiFluid
August 5th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Heyyy an Orville subfolder!

P-90_177
August 5th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Heyyy an Orville subfolder!

"Darren, you wanna open this jar of pickles for me?" :P

jelgate
August 5th, 2018, 06:49 PM
*cuts off P90's leg*

Annoyed
August 7th, 2018, 03:01 AM
Thanks for this board. =)

Spimman
August 7th, 2018, 04:57 AM
Woot woot, thanks Darren!

WraithRichard
September 28th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Kinda shows you don't need to be edgy, lens-flarey, dark, etc.

You'd think they'd have solved those problems in the future

LtColCarter
October 22nd, 2018, 08:32 AM
Anyone know when it comes back?

P-90_177
October 22nd, 2018, 11:14 AM
Anyone know when it comes back?

30th December

LtColCarter
October 22nd, 2018, 12:13 PM
30th December

Dang...that's a weird start time.

aretood2
October 23rd, 2018, 03:46 PM
TV executives don't watch TV.

P-90_177
October 24th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Actually I think they want to keep ahead of Discovery. That starts on 17th January. Granted they may not be directly competitive due to how Disco is on all access but I suspect they're playing up to the fans of Orville who are old school Trek fans who outright reject Disco and hoping that their fervor will help stir up more viewership.

Or otherwise it's a sci-fi show... On Fox... Naturally they're trying to kill it.

jelgate
October 24th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Its not that big of a conspiracy. With a short season, it makes sense to put Orville between a show that spilits their show into fall and spring

lunasera
November 28th, 2018, 11:19 PM
Dang...that's a weird start time.

Agreed! I thought shows were all on hiatus that week - of course maybe that means more people will watch it?

Spimman
November 29th, 2018, 04:25 AM
Might be a time where a lot of people are off work and home. Either way, I'm excited to have it back.

lunasera
November 29th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Might be a time where a lot of people are off work and home. Either way, I'm excited to have it back.

OMG me too! The trailer made me so happy!

Spimman
December 21st, 2018, 07:18 AM
Ready for the new season!!!

Annoyed
December 31st, 2018, 12:53 PM
I hope the premiere was an oddity. I think they have better things to look at that the soap opera between Ed & Kelly or Bortus's trips to the bathroom.

Spimman
January 2nd, 2019, 04:55 AM
Was the premier episode the S1 episode they held over?

pookey
January 4th, 2019, 09:24 AM
Hello guys, new here, absolutely adore this show, cannot wait to see second series, obviously I will have to, but, I love all the characters so far.

I think one of my favourite scenes was when Lt Malloy points out that the view on the main viewer would make a great screen saver :lol:

I was thinking of getting this on dvd as it is not a bad price, funniest show for a long time.

Matty, why are you chasing an Octopus?

Spimman
January 8th, 2019, 04:19 AM
Malloy is hilarious!

The feet aren't as little as they used to be. :eek:

pookey
January 8th, 2019, 11:20 AM
It is a growed up one? :eek: hide

I just purchased it from Amazon, for the princely sum of £14.99, worth every penny

Spimman
January 9th, 2019, 07:33 AM
I just purchased it from Amazon, for the princely sum of £14.99, worth every penny

Sweetness

Spimman
April 23rd, 2019, 06:20 AM
Will we get a 3rd season? According to this, (https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/orville-fox-cancelled-renewed-season-three/) probably

Telly’s Take
Will The Orville be cancelled or renewed for season three? Right now, it is too soon to judge by the ratings, but I am sure FOX will pick up another installment, because it has been approved to receive California tax incentives for a third season. Remember, entertainment aside, television is a numbers game, and the most important numbers involve money. Still, I’ll keep an eye on the Nielsens and update this page with any breaking developments. Subscribe for free alerts on any cancellation or renewal news regarding The Orville.

Kilgharrah
May 11th, 2019, 12:01 PM
We sure will.
Good news (https://deadline.com/2019/05/the-orville-renewed-season-3-fox-1202612705/).

pookey
May 11th, 2019, 12:18 PM
So, they get another SEASON? (for Jel) cause the links here do not work for me

Annoyed
May 11th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Yes, they do. Very good news.

Kilgharrah
May 11th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Yes Pooks. And fix that netbook. :p

pookey
May 11th, 2019, 12:36 PM
I don't have a netbook anymore, got a new pooter and win 10 so meh, :P
It is indeed great news :D :D

Mrja84
May 13th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Very excited for Season 3!

Spimman
May 14th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Yeah, really good news. I hope they find a good balance in between S1 and S2 for S3!