Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could anything overtake the popularity of Star Wars/Star Trek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could anything overtake the popularity of Star Wars/Star Trek?

I've always wondered if anything could top Star Wars and Star Trek as consumer juggernauts? If you were to measure their success on the amount of industry (films, TV, mechanise, conventions, books, costumes etc) generated around them, I don't think anything comes close.

Harry Potter and Games of Thrones are very popular but I don't think they come near? Also it's a shame Stargate did not.
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

I would certainly say HP does challenge them, GOT, perhaps. Dr Who would also be up there.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I think it very hard because of the shear quantity of material there is in both worlds. These are both well built franchises. They also had long periods where essentially the fans were the only ones producing new materials.

Both of these shows have been around for so long.

Harry Potter comes the closest the problem with Harry Potter through is that only JK Rowling writes stories for it, no other author have contributed to the universe.

I do like the fact that the world biggest franchises are all science fiction or fantasy base.

Comment

i wonder if anything will replace Star Wars/Star Trek in another 30 years. I'm biased and dont want them to be replaced, but on the other hand it'll be a sad state of affairs if no-one on earth can come up with another great idea.
        "You don't know half of it".
        Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
        (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

What about the Marvel Cinematic Universe? The comics, now the films and theyre still going strong.

Comment

Star Wars and Star Trek have decades of popular culture recognition that other franchises of the same genres just don't have.
            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
              Star Wars and Star Trek have decades of popular culture recognition that other franchises of the same genres just don't have.
              That, plus Star Trek also has the extra leg-up of having been one of the 'founding fathers' of science fiction TV. Virtually every trope and cliche that you've seen in SF TV for the last 50 years is only a trope/cliche because Star Trek either did it first, or did it in such an iconic way that it became the formula that followers emulated.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

*Pushes Digifluid through the time tunnel*

sigpic

Comment

Premiered *1 day* after Star Trek!
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It's a time tunnel.................
                    sigpic

Comment

In order for something to overtake those two series it would need to be very original. In terms of popularity I don't see how anything could. Just my opinion but maybe if there was a live action TV series of the Matrix made that was really good or a show based on another popular Sci-Fi film then that could gain alot of popularity. That being said it's all about quality. The writting would need to be great.

Comment

Originally posted by jksj89UIs View Post
                        In order for something to overtake those two series it would need to be very original. In terms of popularity I don't see how anything could. Just my opinion but maybe if there was a live action TV series of the Matrix made that was really good or a show based on another popular Sci-Fi film then that could gain alot of popularity. That being said it's all about quality. The writting would need to be great.
                        Well, Star Trek was for TV what Star Wars was for Movies. This new thing will have to pave the way for some medium in some genre to have a similar effect. GOT has one author and one show whose value is deeply routed in the shock factor. It could work if a single holder of the rights to it arises to allow an expansive and popular franchise to rise out of it. Because neither Star Wars nor Star Trek made it apparent that they would, decades down the road, be such huge cultural giants, it's hard to really know.

For all we know, there is a little known show, game, or movie out there that will one day also host a similar spot in popular culture. Doctor Who is already there, has been...so I would pair it up with the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises.
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Dr Who doesn't quite have the same level of impact outside UK popular culture as inside it.
                          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                            Dr Who doesn't quite have the same level of impact outside UK popular culture as inside it.
                            For the original run, I would agree with you, but since the new series started, I would not be so sure.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              For the original run, I would agree with you, but since the new series started, I would not be so sure.

What it lacks is feature films that garner large international casual audiences. If it had that, then it would most certainly be a giant like the other two.

Also, didn't the under the ocean show and Buck Rogers predate Star Trek?
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X