• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cell (703)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE WALKING DEAD - SEASON SEVEN
    THE CELL
    EPISODE NUMBER - 703
    Dwight survives in captivity at Negan's compound, where a conflicted Dwight works to slowly break him.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 11 November 2016, 12:40 AM.

Was there an episode in there? I was too busy watching the 57 minutes of commercials :McKay:
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Start watching on DVR at about 9.20, it solves that issue.

Maybe it's because I'm used to NBC's NASCAR coverage, but 20 minutes of adverts per hour doesn't bother me, I can go get something to eat or a drink when they come on, although I'll admit their frequency is annoying, in Germany they have less less number of breaks, but they're longer, sometimes up to 10 minutes per ad break.

As for the episode, watching Sherry on Talking Dead was more entertaining, I get that we have to see Negan breaking Daryll and Carol shacking up with don't BS a BS'r tiger man to further the story, but I'd prefer they'd edit the two stories together over the two episodes and show them that way, rather than devoting one episode to each story.

This kind of storytelling is good when you can binge watch a series over the weekend, but not really good flowing when you have to wait a week between each installment, the time we get back to Alexandria almost a month will ha passed in the real world, but based on anything in the trailers, barely a week has passed in TWDverse.

Comment

Aww c'mon Daryl just say Negan! But then.... So glad he didn't. Though the consequences....

Ok - interesting talk RE commercials and story content. Of course, without commercials we essentially no longer have television, so - necessary evil. Of course, and I imagine the answer is out there somewhere, but I'd love to know why/when exactly the ratio changed. Ads used to comprise around 5-10 minutes per hour, and yet now in most Western worlds its pretty much 20 minutes per hour. Even pay-tv, in my experience, is no solution. At least here in Australia, when "Cable TV" began, it was promoted as being "ad free". Makes sense - you're paying a subscription, so that pays for the content instead of the commercials. But the reality was they would show ads at either end of the tv show... possibly some in the middle too... and a ****-load of self promotional ads - ie Watch this program on Channel XYZ. Over time however, this all evolved to basically being - pay a subscription, PLUS watch a normal free-to-air ratio of ads.

As for the last 2 episodes being boring... I didn't feel that. I did want MORE at the end... But didn't begrudge the storytellers taking the whole episode to show Daryl's plight. Indeed - we need to see it, not just concerning Daryl, but how Negan works. Perhaps last week's could have been a split storyline with something more interesting, but the other thing about The Cell - and I could be wrong - but I suspect it would have been cheaper to produce than "other" episodes. There was a LOT of screen time giving to the same sets (ie the Cell itself, the walker-yard, corridors...), most of the actors involved were - well, there wasn't really a whole lot of actual actors involved. They probably were still paying the main cast (do actors get holiday pay?), but if not - then that's a huge savings. By having cheap episodes, they get to extend the season duration. By extending the season duration, they potentially get better ratings as more people have chance at exposure to the show.
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

Had Daryll said Negan the first thing that would happen is they'd have driven off up to Alexandria and his loyalty would have been tested by being told to kill one of the group there and then, I'm glad he didn't too.

Potential comic based speculation
          Spoiler:
          I suspect he'll escape with help from Coral or will quiet literally spend the season in the cell, I really hope next week we'll see Coral sneaking into the back of a saviours truck otherwise it'll be obvious the storylines from the comics are being switched which'll suck.

Next week is 90 mins right? Hopefully this isn't the flashback episode and we actually get to see the fallout from the lineup (pun not intended).

I watched the episode again last night adfree and it does make the flow so much easier.

Comment

Ahh yes - I was thinking that Daryl's "faith" would be tested in that style too - like boy soldiers... sent back to kill his "family"...

I'm wondering though whether Dwight's scene rounding up the escapee may be a foreshadowing of him chasing Daryl later in the season...

I'm glad we got Dwight's back story RE his return to Negan... but damn if it didn't start to sound really convoluted! Could have used a brief flashback from Dwight's point of view... or something...
            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
            and lots more!

Comment

Working...
            X