Is Sci-FI dead for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Sci-FI dead for you?

Am I the only one that is struggling to find any sci-fi shows that are interesting?

Now don't get me wrong in any way I'm not saying current sci-fi shows are bad, it's just that they don't interest me in the way sci-fi shows did when I was growing up. (I'm 22).

I don't know if it's that sci-fi shows don't seem as original as they use to or my taste in tv shows just isn't the same. I enjoyed contiuum until probably the last season..

I use to love shows like stargate, star trek, battlestar galactica, smallville(first 4 seasons), Seven days, Mysterious ways, etc..

It seems like everytime a good sci-fi show comes along as well it gets cancelled, eg V 2009, The event, awake.

Now I don't mean this as a hate thread, but in your opinion have sci-fi shows gone down in quality or just changed in styles or what is it that's making them different

Depends. SOme of the new shows (Legends of tomorrow, Arrow/flash, Agents of shield) i am well into, others (Killjoys) i am not..

Comment

Not really. I've found The Expanse to be one of the most interesting sci-fi show in years. And Dark Matter is... OK-ish. Honestly, there had been kind of a big lull in shows that truly captivated me for much of the past decade, but lately I've started getting back into some sci-fi series in a way I hadn't been since Stargate: Atlantis and maybe Battlestar Galactica ended.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I think Sci fi was dead for awhile apart from Doctor Who, but i think now its starting to make a comeback
        Last Movie Watched
        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
        Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
          I think Sci fi was dead for awhile apart from Doctor Who, but i think now its starting to make a comeback

I'm feeling more or less the same. My question would be, are comic based shows/movies sci fi? Or are they their own genre? Or is it like Sci fi/Fantasy that there is overlap?
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

I think I would say that they are separate genres that tend to draw the same people as fans.

As far as sci fi making a resurgence overall, I don't think so. Yes, there are a number of sci-fi shows on right now, but the majority seem to be planetbound post apocalypse stories, saving the producers the cost of special effects shots of ships in space, etc.

Speaking just for myself, I'm sick of those types of shows.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

I'm feeling more or less the same. My question would be, are comic based shows/movies sci fi? Or are they their own genre? Or is it like Sci fi/Fantasy that there is overlap?
              I think they overlap
              Last Movie Watched
              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
              Life is Strange

Comment

Unless Doctor Who doesn't dramatically improve, yes. I am looking forward to Star Trek: Discovery, however.
                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

It is starting to get that way for me. Especially with the way they keep taking my old favorite shows "BSG and Dr.WHO" and Twisting them into ....THINGS that literally make me want to vomit.

I like Sharky
                  sigpic

Comment

No, Sci-Fi is not dead to me. While the old shows were better (Star Trek The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, Stargate Sg-1), I like some of the new shows like Dark Matter and Killjoys

Comment

I felt that way after SGU ended but I've been enjoying the Expanse, Dark matter, and 12 Monkeys.

Comment

Around the time SGU was canceled I would have probably said yes, but during the past several years a lot of sci-fi, fantasy and comic book shows have come out that I really enjoy.
                        sigpic

Comment

I can't say Sci Fi is dead for me. I've really enjoyed 'The Expanse' too and am looking forward to the new time travel shows starting in the next few weeks like 'Frequency'. If anything there seems to be a renewed interest in Sci Fi which has brought out some good shows since the last ever Stargate episode aired. I really enjoyed 'Continuum' and looking forward to the second season of Sense8. There seems to be something for everyone and that's a good thing!

Comment

It's been dead to me for awhile until Westworld recently. While I like Legends , Agents of Shield, Supergirl, etc. they are just comic book shows to me. I just couldn't get into any of the other sci-fi shows in the past interim.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of a lot of sci fi shows today. But I would put a lot of them in the superhero category. I think Westworld however is brillant. It does give me hope. I want to start watching 12 Monkeys as well, that's meant to be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X