Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PJ vs Staff blasts (possible later S8/SGA spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PJ vs Staff blasts (possible later S8/SGA spoilers)

Does anyone else think it odd that staff blasts should have so much effect on a PuddleJumper? At least one was equipped with a squid drone or two so scrapping with Wraith ships had to be a design consideration. With that in mind, the ability to withstand some energy blasts probably would have been a design consideration as well. We've seen staff blasts impact mostly harmlessly off of Ha'tak interior walls, and Ancient materials sciences are certainly a lot better than what the Goa'uld use. I would think someone sitting inside a PJ should be able to laugh and make funny faces at a squad of Jaffa firing at him. I bet deathglider blasts wouldn't be much concern either.

Also...PJ shields? Ancients loved shields. Why wouldn't PJs have them?

They have got shields
    Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
    McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

I would think the sheilds would need to have an ancient gene person sitting at the helm powering it up.....also didnt carter mess with this version of the jumper again? could have taken shields offline somehow....

as far as materials....weve seen the differences in the gates because of materials they had to work with and there is something to be said janus probably had to make this PJ out of substandard parts because he did it without approval of council.
      jake o'niel ".......bite me"

Mythbusters....."I reject your reality and arbitrarily substitute it with my own"

Comment

We know that the material the Asgard use to make their ships aren't super strong since they depend mostly on shields so Ancient ships may be of similar design.

Comment

Well i think your reffering to Moebius which i havent seen yet but in IGTBK dont the jaffa shoot at the PJ and nothing happens?

Comment

Yea from what I gathered, the staffs didn't do much at all, it was the big honkin space guns on the gliders that did the damage.
            Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

Comment

Indeed. They just didn't know the staff weapons wouldn't do much damage. The window would likely be more vulnerable though.
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

In the brotherhood, a wraith dart destroys a puddlejumper in one shot, so death gliders should be able to damage it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinoflo
                  In the brotherhood, a wraith dart destroys a puddlejumper in one shot, so death gliders should be able to damage it.
                  Compared to what the Dart did in 'The Brotherhood', and what the Death Gliders did in 'Moebius pt. II', I think we can assume that Darts have better weapons.

a time to mourn

Comment

...or that a puddle jumper in more veurnarable from in front

Comment

Originally posted by sgafansam
                      I would think the sheilds would need to have an ancient gene person sitting at the helm powering it up.....also didnt carter mess with this version of the jumper again? could have taken shields offline somehow....
                      I'm pretty sure carter didn't mess with the PJ before their encounter with the Jaffa.
                      And as for the actual damage done by the blasts... I was sorta thinking about this while watching it. But then again, the only 'dog fights' we've seen ended in a PJ being completely destroyed so we're not gonna see any marks are we!?

Originally posted by Avenger
                      Indeed. They just didn't know the staff weapons wouldn't do much damage. The window would likely be more vulnerable though.
                      I thought the 'window' was a shield, in witch case it wouldn't be damaged? And certainly would be less vunerable surely?
                      WEIR: I'm still trying to understand, how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony

MCKAY: Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried.

SHEPPARD: I shot him.... In the leg.

WEIR:

Comment

They melted the hull a tad.
                        Still, Glider guns are quite strong. Doesnt matter what type of metal hull you have, they will do some damage. Its the shields which stop most guns, and make them look pathetic.
                        The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father

Comment

Originally posted by Fox McCloud
                          They melted the hull a tad.
                          Still, Glider guns are quite strong. Doesnt matter what type of metal hull you have, they will do some damage. Its the shields which stop most guns, and make them look pathetic.

But the thing is I've always thought that the glider guns are basically the same in principle to the staff weapons only with a higher energy output... Difference though must be staggering cause Teal'C (while looking totally tough as nails and cool at the time BTW) used one to blast Jaffa and while it seems staff weapons have to HIT their target to take out the Jaffa the weapon he used just landed shots nearby and sent them flying, so yeah it's probably a difference in 10 joules to 1000 joules or something... However the staff weapons that hit the PJ in the good to be king episode did NOTHING to the PJ with the door closed and also assuming that the Wraith are far more advanced than the Gua'uld can ever hope to be with all their internal bickering they probably have more advanced weapondry. I mean look at those Wraith darts, they'd fly circles around a death glider and the death gliders got torn apart by the killer squids and the killer squid kept going while the wraith was pretty much a total commitment by the killer squid. I was given the impression of the season finale from season 7 that the killer squids weren't slowed down by the death gliders and Alkesh at all but were slown down by the bigger ships that Anubis had... Sorta like the squids of death weren't even slown down by the super soldiers when they'd kill them off (possibly by strangling them and screaming, "who's your daddy?!" in their ear) they then went up into the atmosphere and ripped huge holes in the death gliders and other ships above the outpost and continued on till they got to the blockade around earth and then nailed Anubis but good... Anyway that was my impression from the little fingers of death squid coming from the solid column of them that ripped deathgliders apart and then rejoined the rest of the stream of death squid..

BTW, I know they have another name but I prefer using squid of death and death squid just cause I think those names are funnier.

Anyway just my thoughts... The ancients are usually thought of as the technology that the Gua'uld use but I think that has been brought into doubt now cause ancient weapons that have been shown off seem COMPLETELY different so I think that since the Gua'uld are scavengers when it comes to technology they are using Furling weapons and ships... Now I know this is off the topic a bit but it would explain a few things as of late in the series (like why gua'uld are so useless against the Ancient's stuff) and it would be an interesting twist in why their weapons seem useless against a PJ in the small versions and far more capable only after being upsized so darn much... Also I don't know if the PJs had shields on them originally, cause they seem to just be like little shuttles that are used for basic transportation and their weapons systems even seem to be a kind of after thought, not intrigal into their design. Basically they look like they're designed first for exploration and transportation and secondly as a weapons platform while the wraith darts seem to be designed first and formost as weapons platforms...

Anyway, just some of my thoughts... Take them for what you want...

Comment

Actually the Wraith Darts are more like designed 4 culling humans but they do have better weapons than the Death Gliders coz Wraith tech is superior.
                            6 goa'uld motherships didn't even faze Anubis's shield which was only based on Ancient tech but the Wraith must have destroyed all remaining ancient ship's in Pegasus(which they must have had 2 build the stargate system) which probably had even better shields. Only the Atlantis shield held and it had 3 ZPM's powering it. And even then they had 2 sink the city 2 make sure the Wraith didn't just keep shooting at it until it came down.
                            Understanding is a three-edged sword.

Comment

I'm acctually now considering how few "death squids" it took to destroy Ares Ha'tak. do the Goauld have anything that could stand up to the wraith, and could the Atlantis team just send all the puddle jumpers to earth, and use them to wipe out the Goauld?

Comment

Working...
                              X