This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 1 - The Good and The Bad

After recently watching season 1 on dvd, i just wondered what everybody's thoughts were on it. What were the good points? What were the bad points? What could be improved? What foundations were laid for future series to capitalize on? I'd like to know what everyone thinks about this.

Personally, I think that there weren't any outright terrible episodes, although I'm not a fan of Tin Man, and that this was probably one of the strongest first seasons any series has ever had. Apophis is a great enemy, and we are introduced to a second Stargate on Earth and the politics of the Stargate program, as well as being left with an exciting cliffhanger ending, although I sometimes wonder whether it would have been a more meaningful attack if it was not launched until the end of season 2.

spook
    Last edited by sshspooky; 12 June 2004, 08:47 AM.
    spook

The first season definitely was great. Most of my favorite episodes from the series are from season one. Within the Serpent's Grasp, There But For the Grace of God, and The Torment of Tantalus probably were my most favorite episodes. Weren't too many sub-par episodes, but Emancipation was one that I had absolutely no desire to sit through again. The fan poll numbers at Gateworld appear to indicate that I wasn't the only one with that opinion.

Yeah, the introduction of new races, learning more about the Goa'uld, and the way the four individuals on SG-1 became a tight-knit team definitely made it a great season. Don't know if having the big battle at the end of season two would have been better. Personally, I think it was a fitting way to wrap up the first year of adventures. Also, the producers may have scheduled the battle at the end of season one because filming of season two might still have been in doubt until late in the first season. Don't know enough about the history of the series to know if that is true--just speculation on my part.
    There is nothing cruvas with me.

Comment

Well personally, I didn't love season 1, but the end season arc was great. Unfortunately, I've never seen The Torment of Tantalus, which is pretty upsetting, since everyone says how important it is. There But For the Grace of God is one of my favorite SG-1 episodes of all time though, so it alone brings the season up a lot in my book.

Phil
      Teal'c: I believe a medical attack could be successful.
      Jack: Surgical attack Teal'c. It's called a surgical attack.

Comment

considering the latter seasons, it's pretty amazing what they've done and developed with the things they introduced in this season.

spook
        spook

Comment

Welll.. They've done pretty good developing most of what was introduced. Some things just disappeared and couple I just plan didn't like. But all in all Season One was pretty great.
          The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by Asgard-VA
            Also, the producers may have scheduled the battle at the end of season one because filming of season two might still have been in doubt until late in the first season. Don't know enough about the history of the series to know if that is true--just speculation on my part.
            According to what I've heard they had an order for 44 episodes (2 seasons) from day one, after S1 they added another 44 episodes.

Originally posted by USS Thunderchild
            Unfortunately, I've never seen The Torment of Tantalus, which is pretty upsetting, since everyone says how important it is.
            It's important in the sense that it establishes the idea of the alliance of the 4 races, and a few other tidbits. It's a pretty good episode but not one of my favorites.
            ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
            The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

The Good: COTG, Thors Hammer, Serpents Grasp

The Okay: Enenmy Within, Broca Divide, 1st Commandment, Cold Laz, The Nox, Bloodlines, Singularity, Cor-ai, Enigma, Soltitudes

The Damn Right Terrible: Emancapitation, Tin Man. Breif Candle, Torment of Tant, Hathor, TBFTGOG, Politics

Comment

Originally posted by Genty
                The Damn Right Terrible: Emancapitation, Tin Man. Breif Candle, Torment of Tant, Hathor, TBFTGOG, Politics
                What? Torment of Tantalus and There but for the Grace of God terrible?! Obviously, I understand that it´s all a matter if taste, but I´m really curious as to why you think they´re so terrible? Care to elaborate?

I definitely agree with Emancipation and Hathor, though. Yuck.
                Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                  What? Torment of Tantalus and There but for the Grace of God terrible?! Obviously, I understand that it´s all a matter if taste, but I´m really curious as to why you think they´re so terrible? Care to elaborate?

I definitely agree with Emancipation and Hathor, though. Yuck.
                  Both almost 100% Daniel Episodes, and out of the 5 i dislike Daniel the most...

Comment

I see Torment of Tant as being more a Catherine episode than a Daniel one, and really sets up why her reaction in TFBTGOG is so important. I loved it, though I kept wondering where Ernest got food.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                      though I kept wondering where Ernest got food.
                      I´ve been wondering the same thing! Though I kind of just assumed that there was a forrest or something similar on the outside, and that he learned to get by on things like berries and the occasional wild animal that happened to stroll by.
                      Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

I think Season 1 was the most consistently good year Stargate SG-1 has ever had. Only one slight misstep right out of the gate results in a noticeable drop in quality and even then I think Emancipation is far more watchable than most of Season 7. (And when are we going to visit a planet full of Asiatic humans again, barring Yu?) Every other episode in the first year is solid with many, like Tantalus, Nox and Enigma, going above and beyond the call of duty. Season 2 barely edges this one out.
                        END OF LINE

Comment

I think season one was a great start to the season introducing the characters freinds and their worst enemy for 5 seasons Apophis. This is my list in no particular order.

The Good : Children of the Gods, Torment of Tantulas, Thors Hammer. Within the Serpants Grasp (cliffhanger!!) Cor'ai (im a Teal'c fan.) The Nox. Enigma
                          The not so good but bearable:The Enemy Within, Broca Divide, 1st Commandment, Cold Lazuras. Bloodlines, Singularity, Tin Man, Emancipitation (the end with Teal'c "what is an Ophrah?'). TBFTGOG Fire and Water
                          The BADDD: Polotics, Hathor, Breif Candle
                          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
                            According to what I've heard they had an order for 44 episodes (2 seasons) from day one, after S1 they added another 44 episodes.
                            I thought Showtime bought the first 5 seasons off the bat. I maybe be wrong though.

What i liked:

They did a good job of introducing other aliens and opening up the possiblitys of meeting those aliens. Such as in The Nox, Torment of Tantalus, and Fire and Water.

They did a decent job of making the Goa'uld out to be a bad enemy but Apophis i don't think was built up enough and they could of used a few more eps with him to make him a serious enemy. So it might of been better if Withi in the Serpent's Grasp was the finale for season 2. Apophis is only in 3 episodes before the finale and 1 of those is the pilot.

Comment

Working...
                            X