Series Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Series Recommendations

Hi all, looking for a new scifi series to watch through and I'm runnning out of options.

Already seen
    SG1
    SGA
    SGU
    DS9
    TNG
    TOS
    ENT
    Doctor Who
    Lexx
    Sliders
    X-Files
    Earth Final Contact
    Firefly
    BSG
    Caprica
    Flash
    Arrow
    Agents of Shield
    Legends of Tomorrow

probably others I can't recall too. PLease some recommendations?
    sigpic

Farscape
    Eureka
    The Expanse
    Killjoys
    Dark Matter

Comment

Thanks, I've never heard of Killjoy and will check it out.

Dark Matter bored me to deatht he first 2 eps, and I stopped. Does it get better?
      sigpic

Comment

I liked the show, though maybe the lack of other space sci-fi shows to watch played a part there.

If you were completely put off by the first two episodes then I doubt watching more will change your mind. Though my general rule of thumb when it comes to sci-fi series is to give a them three episodes to win me over.

Comment

Quantum Leap - I really enjoyed this show and am currently in the middle of a rewatch where I sort of binge watched all of Season One in 24 hours as there were only 9 episodes in the season. One of this days I'll get back to it.
          Sanctuary - This is worth checking out because Amanda Tapping, Martin Wood and Damian Kindler are behind it beside AT being in it.
          The Outer Limits (1995–2002).
          Seaquest DSV/2032
          Babylon 5 - The one episode I saw was back when it was on the air and I don't really remember the episode but it has 110 episodes and some movies and based on the little bit I read in the in Babylon 5 section it's seems like it's worth checking out.
          Warehouse 13 - the ending may have not been the best but I say it's worth checking out.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Current Shows:
            The Expanse
            Agent Carter
            Orphan Black
            12 Monkeys
            Mr. Robot
            Humans
            Daredevil
            Jessica Jones
            The Returned (French version)

Older Shows:
            Babylon 5 (stick with it; first half of first season is weak)
            Fringe
            Continuum
            Haven
            Almost Human
            Eureka
            Dark Angel
            Dark Skies
            Space: Above and Beyond
            Cowboy Bebop

I may think of a few more later.

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
              Current Shows:
              The Expanse
              Agent Carter
              Orphan Black
              12 Monkeys
              Mr. Robot
              Humans
              Daredevil
              Jessica Jones
              The Returned (French version)
              ^All of those and:
              The 100 - doesn't start off that well, the second season is better than the first, but give it at least until episode 5 of the first season, if you don't like it by then, it's not for you.
              Person of Interest
              Penny Dreadful
              Game of Thrones
              Killjoys
              Dark Matter
              The Walking Dead
              The Strain
              The Man in the High Castle
              Sense8

Here's a list of all the tv shows I watch, most of it is sci-fi and fantasy, you can use the filter on the side so that it only shows certain genres. http://www.imdb.com/list/ls057404489/

Older series that I would recommend are:
              Babylon 5 - It gets a lot better after the first half of the first season. It's one of my favorite TV series.
              Farscape
              Andromeda
              The Twilight Zone
              Tales From the Crypt
              Friday the 13th The Series
              Highlander
              Fringe
              Continuum
              Helix
              Threshold - it only lasted one season, but I really liked it.
              Almost Human - also only lasted one season
              Space: Above and Beyond
              Revolution
              Defiance
              Dominion

Long list of tv shows that I like, there's a lot of sci-fi and fantasy on it: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000261078/
              Last edited by VampyreWraith; 03 March 2016, 10:28 AM. Reason: Added a link.
              sigpic

Comment

Not sure why I didn't include Person of Interest under current shows, but it's been so long since it's been on and we still don't know when Season 5 will air.

As for The 100, I initially stopped watching with Season 1, Ep. 9, but eventually went back to it. Still don't like it that much, and am only a few eps into Season 2.

Comment

Alias
                  First Wave.
                  Now and Again
                  Odyssey 5

Coming in the near future

The Aliens starts airing network (the trailers not really appealing to me, I like my aliens to be proper alien, especially when they are new shows not beholden by technologies that limit them to a few ridges on actors nose or pointy ears.)

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
                    Not sure why I didn't include Person of Interest under current shows, but it's been so long since it's been on and we still don't know when Season 5 will air.

As for The 100, I initially stopped watching with Season 1, Ep. 9, but eventually went back to it. Still don't like it that much, and am only a few eps into Season 2.
                    Season 5 of PoI is apparently supposed to air sometime this spring. I can't wait, I really love that show.

I had some issues with season 2 of The 100 (mainly the way the "treatments" worked and some of the writing for Clarke or actually the way other characters were written when they were around Clarke), but overall I thought it was pretty good and I really enjoyed it a lot (I enjoyed the first season overall too though). I've grown to love a lot of the characters on the show and I've become kind of invested in what happens to them, so I tend to easily forgive some of the show's faults (I think every show has faults, nothing is perfect).
                    sigpic

Comment

I would echo the suggestions made by others for "Continuum" and "Haven", both avail. on Netflix.

Comment

Black Mirror, Jericho, The 4400
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                          Threshold
                          I'm glad you remembered Threshold. For fans who watched sci-fi on US television in 2004-2005, they enjoyed an increasing number of good series on the "cable channels:" Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, The 4400, Enterprise, and others.

Each of the "big three" networks* decided to join the action and launch a new science-fiction series during the exact same month, maybe the same week, in September 2005:
                          Invasion (ABC)
                          Threshold (CBS)
                          Surface (NBC)

None were renewed for a second season. Most weren't even allowed to produce a full 22-episode season. It was a pity. I happily recommend them all. (and remember: ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX can't be trusted with your science fiction)

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                          Now and Again
                          Aww, this was a sweet series. I mean sweet as in nice. Fond memories.

* (I don't recall if/what FOX did.)

Comment

I liked Threshold, it was by far the best of those three series.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                              I'm glad you remembered Threshold. For fans who watched sci-fi on US television in 2004-2005, they enjoyed an increasing number of good series on the "cable channels:" Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, The 4400, Enterprise, and others.

Each of the "big three" networks* decided to join the action and launch a new science-fiction series during the exact same month, maybe the same week, in September 2005:
                              Invasion (ABC)
                              Threshold (CBS)
                              Surface (NBC)

None were renewed for a second season. Most weren't even allowed to produce a full 22-episode season. It was a pity. I happily recommend them all. (and remember: ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX can't be trusted with your science fiction)

* (I don't recall if/what FOX did.)
                              I really liked all three series as well, Threshold was my favorite out of them, though.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X