This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

daniel the linguist

In 1969 Daniel told Jack he could speak 23 diffrent lanuages wonder how many he can speak now
    Sam: "Mission command...all systems go from Abydos One."

I think it's still 23, he didn't learn any new earth language.

Comment

I'm guessing Daniel can speak a few more languages by now. Besides they've visited many more planets since the 1969 episode
      __

__

Comment

*ahem*

There is a HUGE difference, IMHO, between being "familiar" with a language and being able to "speak" a language. The idea that someone can actually SPEAK 23 different languages is a bit far-fetched to me. You do not have to be able to SPEAK a language in order to translate a written phrase, which is what Dr. Jackson spends most of his "language" experience doing.

Although he has come across and learned more about a few new languages since "1969," I think the only new language he has learned to SPEAK is Unas.

Sorry if that seems nitpicky - just a pet peeve of mine . . .

-tera'ngan
        nuqDaq yuch Dapol

Comment

Remember, Daniel can also speak a rough draft of Ancient
          __

__

Comment

Originally posted by darklilac
            I think it's still 23, he didn't learn any new earth language.
            So that makes him a cunning linguist then.

But seriously, 23 is a hell of a lot of languages. A (now deceased) friend of mine could speak 8 and I thought *that* was impressive.
            Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Of course, 23 is a large amount. I can speak English and some words and sentences in Spanish
              __

__

Comment

Originally posted by tera'ngan
                *ahem*

There is a HUGE difference, IMHO, between being "familiar" with a language and being able to "speak" a language. The idea that someone can actually SPEAK 23 different languages is a bit far-fetched to me. You do not have to be able to SPEAK a language in order to translate a written phrase, which is what Dr. Jackson spends most of his "language" experience doing.

Although he has come across and learned more about a few new languages since "1969," I think the only new language he has learned to SPEAK is Unas.

-tera'ngan
                Obviously you have never heard of Ziad Fazah...compared to this guy daniel is an amature. At the age of 17, he was fluent in 54 languages. The last I heard he spoke 56 languages and attened a UN meeting and was able to speak with all the representives in their own native language.

I did some digging and found this website about him. There isn't much on him on the internet however this website was the best one out of all of them.

http://www.spidra.com/fazah.html

So it isn't as far-fetched as you might have believed. Hope I helped you with that pet peeve of yours!

Ace
                "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Wow! Speaking an amazing 56 languages according to that article. That is too many to remember. Wouldn't you get confused?
                  __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                    Wow! Speaking an amazing 56 languages according to that article. That is too many to remember. Wouldn't you get confused?
                    I forgot to add that the article was last updated in 2001 who knows how many languages he has learned since then. Probably 60 or more!

Ace
                    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Well, since it's three years on I'd say at least 65. It takes a long while to get a reference to a entire language
                      Last edited by Anubis; 22 May 2004, 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling error
                      __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                        Obviously you have never heard of Ziad Fazah...compared to this guy daniel is an amature. At the age of 17, he was fluent in 54 languages. The last I heard he spoke 56 languages and attened a UN meeting and was able to speak with all the representives in their own native language.
                        YEEeeaahhh.

THAT'S normal.

I supposed Daniel's character is only as far-fetched as Sam's. And I mean that respectfully and nicely. Love BOTH of them. And I have to admit, Daniel's English accent when he speaks Russian isn't NEARLY as bad as Sean Connery's! (Another pet peeve . . .)

-tera'ngan
                        nuqDaq yuch Dapol

Comment

*ahem*

-tera'ngan
                          Daniel was supposed to be some kind of linguistic prodigy and in reality the record for number of languages spoken fluently is more than Daniel's 23(can't remember right now the exact number). EDIT: Should have read further, I see someone has found the guy.

So yes it would be highly unusual for someone to speak 23 languages but not impossible and that was part of the point of Daniel Jackson--he's incredibly gifted particularly in that area. He's not easily replaceable(though I know the PTB would love for us to think he is). He's a genius who's particular gift is in understanding languages and language structure--to this end he focused on history and archaeo/anthropology as a way of tracing and studying language development and human cultural development through language. If you notice in the film--his ill-fated lecture focused on archaeo-linguistics to explain his theory of the Egyptians not being the builders of the pyramids or at least no being alone in doing it.

As for if he's learned any new ones--We know he's picked up new "alien" languages since "1969" but Earthbound ones we can't tell. Someone did ask Michael Shanks this question at a convention within the last year and for some reason he said Daniel had learned to speak Chinese(can't remember which dialect he specified) since "1969" but I'm not quite sure why he seemed so certain of it. Maybe Daniel realized he was lacking in that particular linguistic area in Fragile Balance and he's made it his business to learn it.

Comment

The idea that someone can actually SPEAK 23 different languages is a bit far-fetched to me.
                            My Dad speaks 12. He is a nuclear physicist, not a linguist. He only studied two languages at school, the rest he taught himself, just as a hobby. In between running half-marathons, orienteering, bringing up four children, going to work, stargazing, learning computer code and disassembling car engines on my mother's nice clean lawn.

It seems to me that if anyone actually studied languages professionally and was taught them by a proper teacher, especially if he'd lived in a polylingual country or two, then 23 isn't such a big deal.

Madeleine

Comment

I supposed Daniel's character is only as far-fetched as Sam's. And I mean that respectfully and nicely.
                              I would find them far fetched if they were just random folk who'd got attatched to the SGC by chance - oh how convenient, how contrived, that kind of thing

But Daniel was headhunted because he was brilliant. And because he solved what a lot of other (less brilliant) headhuntees had failed at, he and not they were stars of the film and TV show. Sam was probably headhunted for the project too. The USAF picked them both because they are creme de la creme, the best and brightest, so it feels right to me.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X