• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot (101)

Visit the Episode GuideSUPERGIRL - SEASON ONE
    PILOT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 101
    After stopping a plane crash Kara Danvers embraces her Kryptonian powers, taking up her cousin's mantle as a hero to defend National City -- which has come under threat from alien prisoners who have escaped from the Phantom Zone.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 November 2015, 02:43 PM.

This was pretty good in most respects. Fast paced, good heroic scenes and Melissa Benoist does a good job with the character.

However... An "emo" hero(ine) ?

And there might be a boo-boo in the given backstory, I'll have to rewatch to be sure, but something doesn't track in my head.

Regardless, I like it and I hope it runs for a while.

Comment

I feel that this episode was very...pilot like. Which isn't bad at all. It sets all pieces in place, though it still felt a bit to exposition heavy. I'm not sure how I feel about Supergirl's day job though...beyond that I liked it. Though I couldn't help but feel like one or too things were a little corny. Yep, I said a late 90's early 00's word

That said, I'm looking forward to the next episode and see how this thing plays out.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

I think it definitely holds a lot of promise, but the episode itself felt pretty rushed.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

To be fair most pilots are like there
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
            I feel that this episode was very...pilot like. Which isn't bad at all. It sets all pieces in place, though it still felt a bit to exposition heavy. I'm not sure how I feel about Supergirl's day job though...beyond that I liked it. Though I couldn't help but feel like one or too things were a little corny. Yep, I said a late 90's early 00's word

That said, I'm looking forward to the next episode and see how this thing plays out.
            I kind of agree with you, it felt like they used some kind of template to make the show, and having dean cane there as her adopted father and calista flock heart as her boss, it just felt like they were trying a bit too hard to pay homage to the past.

Comment

I agree with the comments that the episode felt rushed and like an explosion. However, I did enjoy it. If they play their cards right, this could be a good show. I'm looking forward to the next episode!
              sigpic

Comment

I liked the first episode well enough, it was pretty entertainig. I'm looking forward to the next episode as well.
                sigpic

Comment

It was a decent addition, but not that 'awe inspiring' to me.

Comment

It was enjoyable and has promise. Nice to see a female super hero. I agree some parts were kinda cliche, but like others have said, pilots are usually clumsy.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

When I first saw the shorts of this series I was not that taken by what seemed a somewhat juvenile approach to the concept. But I watched the pilot and I've now watched it three times, which is something rare for me.

I must admit I got caught up with Melissa Benoist's quite infectious portrayal of the super chick. It was her performance and Calista Flockhart's portrayal of Cat Grant that won me over. Loved the interplay between them. But Ms Benoist's performance in particular was so appealing. Her range of emotional expressions and the way she used the script made me almost think I was watching a real late adolescent lass innocently flowing through expressions of excitement, sadness, pride and pain. She was very believable and she actually succeeded in making me feel for her character, a remarkable ability for one so young. The sheer unrestrained excitement and fun of her performance held me to the end and I found I wanted more.

Add to that the special effects. I dont like many of the superheroes' flying scenes which to me seem unbelievable and something I cant identify with. But its obvious that the producers went back and watched Helen Slater's flying sequences in Supergirl the movie and took note, because the flying style made you think she was actually flying..and wishing I could do the same. The plane scene was a classic, supported brilliantly by the emotive background music that quite frankly brought a tear to my eye (something rare for a well worn 65 year old bloke).

Mind you it will have to offer more than cute and awakening innocence to hold the show together. But it has some fine ingredients and I give the pilot a big thumbs up. Hope it maintains the standard.
                      Last edited by bearfax; 12 December 2015, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Supergirl noob reporting in.

I am not familiar with anything Supergirl related. Superman sure. I mean, I watched The New Adventures of Superman while growing up but that's as far as it goes. Which leads me to saying that having Dean Cain around for this, is pretty neat.

I wasn't watching this when it first aired. In fact, I only started two weeks ago and watched the entire season 1 and the first aired episodes of season 2. I'm currently on my second rewatch, and thought I'd share my thoughts here (after I discovered there was a place on the forum for it). I started watching because of The Flash crossover episode. (Yes, I also watch The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and Gotham)

Downloaded the soundtrack off iTunes this afternoon, and by the way, one of the things that I absolutely love about this show is the amazing soundtrack by Blake Neely. That guy knows his stuff. I love the quirky music that defines Kara Danvers, and the orchestral hero-music that fits Supergirl. He knows when to put drama in the sound, and when to create a humorous mood. Top notch!

My first impression (which is now third, I guess) was kin to this emoji .

The pilot sets the board and introduces the player, and I most appreciated that (unfamiliar as I am).

I LOVED the excitement of Kara when she saves the plane, and the subsequent hurtful look she gives her sister when she tells her she shouldn't help people, expose herself to the world. OMGoddess, I love the dynamic between Kara and Alex so so so so much.

I love geeky/nerdy Kara, and Supergirl Kara. I love Alex Danvers even more. Oh, she kicks butt.

Some of the CGI bothers me a wee bit but it gets better throughout the show.
                        The framing of the show, the shots, the special effects (most of them anyway), the character dynamics, the music.

I'm blown away with the range of emotions Melissa is able to bring to the forefront as both Kara and Supergirl. That girl's got talent.
                        Same goes for Chyler.

Anyway, looking forward to share more thoughts as I go.

Right now, I can't form many coherent thoughts. I'm like Kara right now, who just saved that plane.

Addendum
                        The big hero-shots... I LOVE HERO-SHOTS!!
                        Okay, on a small computerscreen they don't have the same impact but I love them nonetheless.

And I also just realized I didn't actually comment on the story -- see incoherent thoughts rule the brain.

Anyway, there's an alien madman on the loose who has a problem with the DEO apparently, but we only learn that after the plane has been hit by the bombs planted. So, Kara saves her sister and gets a stern talking to as a thank you. That spinecracking hug though...
                        Kara decides to tell Winn and they become Superfriends (not actually calling it that but okay). Winn creates her an outfit, and luckily realizes a cape is good for aerodynamics (no more missing turns -- *snort* on that one), and off she goes being the hero. Until she gets shot down by kryptonite arrows and introduced to the DEO -- and Agent Danvers. Okay, cold shower back to reality anyone.

Agent Danvers apologizes and shows Kara the recording. OMGODDESS, the pod... I forgot about the pod. Cudo's to the prop-department for building a beautiful pod.
                        And then they save the day, together as a team. Alex believes in her sister. They rock!
                        Last edited by Falcon Horus; 20 November 2016, 03:47 PM.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It's a good show, and so far, at least the CW is is doing a good job with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X