X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who is the MAIN hero of SG Atlantis?

hi there, kinda new
    im just curious
    who is the absolute main heroe of Atlantis ? granted shepard was a great tactician and tayla and Ronin were the brass n muscle, but would Atlantis have survived w/out the genius of Dr Rodney Mackay ? the only living Canadian there (1st few seasons anyway) if he is the most important character on this fictional storyline, then why make him such a coward ? in the REAL world the Canadian military are known for their abundant courage, he really paints a poor picture for the Great White North :/

He is the only person on The Rodney McKay show. Everyone else is background
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by ragez0r View Post
      hi there, kinda new
      im just curious
      who is the absolute main heroe of Atlantis ? granted shepard was a great tactician and tayla and Ronin were the brass n muscle, but would Atlantis have survived w/out the genius of Dr Rodney Mackay ? the only living Canadian there (1st few seasons anyway) if he is the most important character on this fictional storyline, then why make him such a coward ? in the REAL world the Canadian military are known for their abundant courage, he really paints a poor picture for the Great White North :/
      Rodney is not a member of the Canadian military. He's a civilian scientist from Canada. The Canadian military's reputation is still safe.

Comment

The idea of the SG teams is that everyone's strong in their own way

Comment

And he wasn't the only Canadian in Atlantis.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            And he wasn't the only Canadian in Atlantis.
            Yup...we all know Chuck was the real hero of Atlantis
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

OK, can't stand it....
              Sheppard
              McKay
              Teyla
              Ronon

*SpellingisFundamental
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                OK, can't stand it....
                Sheppard
                McKay
                Teyla
                Ronon

*SpellingisFundamental
                I let it slide, it's a newbie. Didn't want to scare them away, but wouldn't have been able to resist much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by ragez0r View Post
                  hi there, kinda new
                  im just curious
                  In my opinion the writers saw Sheppard as the main hero.
                  But I do completely agree, that the expedition wouldn't have survived long without McKay and his role did seem to get bigger and bigger as the show progressed.
                  For me personally Sheppard and McKay are both the main heroes. McKay does the technical stuff, while Sheppard (with help from Ronon and Teyla) does more of the physical stuff.

About your question, why they made him such a coward: I'm so glad they did! If he was a very good and fearless fighter atop of his genius, I don't think I would like him as much as I do. He would be too perfect. I generally don't like characters without any flaws, they are just boring. So yes, I'm really glad they made him this sarcastic, cowardly genius (with a hear of gold).

Comment

Originally posted by Cil View Post
                    ...that the expedition wouldn't have survived long without McKay and his role did seem to get bigger and bigger as the show progressed.
                    He wouldn't have been able to do half of what he did if he hadn't had his team to back him up.

And while his presence became more prominent, the other disappeared in the background. That was so much fun for the rest of us [/end sarcasm].

Comment

He wouldn't have been able to do half of what he did if he hadn't had his team to back him up.

And while his presence became more prominent, the other disappeared in the background. That was so much fun for the rest of us [/end sarcasm].
                      I know, it definitely needed the team as well. That's what I was saying a little later. He alone certainly wouldn't have survived long.

I was very happy about him getting a bigger role, but I see how that can be frustrating for people who didn't like him much or had other favorite characters.
                      I know people are always saying the others disappeared more in the background in later seasons. But I personally don't really see it like that. McKay's role definitely got bigger from season 2 onwards. But I think after that it stayed about the same for all characters. After that I don't really see any roles getting bigger or smaller. But that's just my opinion and I certainly don't want to get into fight over this. I'm on a rewatch right now, so maybe I'll see it a bit differently the second time around.

Comment

Unfortunately, you just bumped into the crazy lemming who counted screentime and words... and I can assure you that 3/4 of the characters really did disappear in the background. A very frustrating thing if McKay is so not your favorite character.

Comment

Originally posted by Cil View Post
                          In my opinion the writers saw Sheppard as the main hero.
                          But I do completely agree, that the expedition wouldn't have survived long without McKay and his role did seem to get bigger and bigger as the show progressed.
                          For me personally Sheppard and McKay are both the main heroes. McKay does the technical stuff, while Sheppard (with help from Ronon and Teyla) does more of the physical stuff.

About your question, why they made him such a coward: I'm so glad they did! If he was a very good and fearless fighter atop of his genius, I don't think I would like him as much as I do. He would be too perfect. I generally don't like characters without any flaws, they are just boring. So yes, I'm really glad they made him this sarcastic, cowardly genius (with a hear of gold).
                          Just one thing - McKay's not a coward, he just hasn't learnt how to hide his fear like Sheppard, Teyla and Ronon have. He goes into situations that terrify him and does his job...If he was a coward he'd never have left Earth
                          sigpic
                          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Unfortunately, you just bumped into the crazy lemming who counted screentime and words... and I can assure you that 3/4 of the characters really did disappear in the background. A very frustrating thing if McKay is so not your favorite character.

Okay, if you say so. I won't fight you on numbers. (By the way, I'd be interested in those statistics. I always like such things.) I'm just saying I did feel the change after season 1 (which was positive for me, probably not so much for everyone). Afterwards, my subjective feeling was, like the size of each role about stayed the same. But maybe I'm just biased.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                              Just one thing - McKay's not a coward, he just hasn't learnt how to hide his fear like Sheppard, Teyla and Ronon have. He goes into situations that terrify him and does his job...If he was a coward he'd never have left Earth
                              Yes, you're perfectly right. He does only appear to be a coward compared to the others. But I also often think it actually takes a lot of courage to be so afraid of something and STILL do it. But we are so used to such heroes in TV who show almost no fear, that we perceive him as a coward. (To be perfectly honest, my own reactions would probably be a lot more like McKay's than the others. ) But you're right, he's not really one.

Comment

Working...
                              X