This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teyla

I've noticed that Teyla has been overlooked here, and she doesn't seem to be a favourite. With rodney mckay and carson beckett being really cool characters, coupled with the low profile that teyla's had in S1 of Atlantis, it's easy to see why she's being overlooked, but I actually quite like Teyla.

one thing I've noticed, and it is quite noticeable, is that Rachel Luttrel is actually quite short. Quite a random observation, but when she's stood next to joe or torri, you notice it, as well as in some full-body shots. I'm wondering if anyone else has actually noticed his. It's not important, but I'm curious. Height seems to be looked at quite critically in casting. I've heard that some actors struggle because of their height or stature, but i think it's quite cool that they've gotten someone quite short for the part. (maybe I have a thing for short women - Who knows?)

Now, onto some actual discussion: teyla's been quite underused, but she knows the pegasus galaxy quite well, and she has wraith connections, I believe (In the UK, we're about to see the gift, and judging by the gateworld quick summary, it looks as though this will be addressed.) So she could be quite an interesting character. maybe it's good that they've left her fallow for the first series, as it conveys the whole sense of apprehension when meeting a new culture quite well.

having watched letters from pegasus, I'm quite impressed with the progress of the character of teyla. She's got a distinct moral code, and it'll be good looking into why she joined the earthlings of atlantis. She's obviously somewhat uncomfortable with them, so that would be interesting to explore.

I find her to be a unique character. She seems to take the diplomatic route quite well. She's much like daniel jackson in a way - She's good at communicating with people offworld. (Do bear in mind that neither shappard, mckay or ford have been offworld before atlantis, whilst teyla has been doing it all her life.) She is friendly and polite, and that's something i admire. She's very well spoken.

I think she might get on very well with dr weir. They seem to have a similar kind of moral grounding. her relationshp with the Atlantis team seems strained somewhat, and i think weir might be someone who she feels confident in talking to. I also have a feeling that her and dr beckett would be quite good together. (i'm not shipping, or at least I don't think I am. I just think they'd make good pals.)

there's been much talk on her hair, and i must admit, it is an odd hairstyle for a warrior to have. I'm wondering if she'll change her hairstyle in the future?

But i think that teyla is a really interesting character, and i'm hoping that we see a lot of her in season 2. She's been kinda obscure so far, as Shep has taken all the "hero" stuff, and mckay's had his comic moments.

So teyla doesn't seem to be a popular character, but i think she's really cool, and that she'll go far. She doesn't seem to get discussed in the same way that Shep, Mckay, beckett, and even Ford, grodin and Zelenka seem to get discussed, so I think that Teyla deserves her own thread. i'll also say that i think Rachel is quite hot. (even though the hairstyle is a bit off.)

Anyway, I think Teyla had some grat moments in: Sanctuary, letters from pegasus, and the eye.

I agree that Teyla has had some good moments, and I agree that's she's been underused. I think she has the same problem that Teal'c always had. They're both given a lot of rather wooden, bland filler lines. Compared to the fun lines that McKay, Shep, Becket have ... heck even Ford and Zelenka have had some fun stuff to say. I think it's the fun, personable moments that draw you into a character rather than a characters coolness and abilities. At least, it is for me. So in spite of her many fine qualities ... to me, she's a little bland and boring.

And I agree about the hair.

Comment

Wait... she's short?! I'll have to support her then, short people are cool.

Frankly, I find her character to be a little dry. She needs to be developed a little bit more, but she has potential. ((Note that I am a poor American who has only seen up to Before I Sleep ))
      Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
      RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

The problem I have with Teyla has nothing to do with Rachel. In person Rachel seems so bubbly and full of life, while Teyla, as a character, is wooden and impersonal.

I'm also very disappointed that Teyla's clothing is becoming less and less, while she is being asked to fight more and more. Therefore we get. . hot chick, skimpy clothes, swinging fists and sticks (with that awful hair in her face) - uh no. Might be interesting to teenage boys, but not to me. I would really like to see Teyla have FUN, or at least show some intelligence.

The character could be so much better. Hoping TPTB make some improvements for Season 2.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

have a look at this

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=8435

The name "Teyla" is probably taken from the names of Brad Wright's daughters, Tessa and Kayla, which are also the names of General Hammond's granddaughters in Stargate SG-1.
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

I think she just needs to be developed a bit more. Give her something to get animated about. But I still think she's cool and yes, please pick a hairstyle already.
            And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
            Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
            Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
            Daniel: Oh! You see?
            Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

I have a feeling she'll really blossom out in season 2. As for the hair, I don't know what should be done with it! You can't see her face much of the time. I dunno how to sort the hair out, in all honesty. But the hair isn't all that important. What I want to see is Teyla progress as a character. I think she's quite interesting, it's just that she's been underused, and we've only just started to see a couple of interesting things about her.

I think she will be like teal'c - takes a while to come into fruition. I only ever liked teal'c for his "alien" lines, (I believe a medical attack would be successful) at first, but he's turned into a good character.

Comment

Originally posted by splifficated
                I agree that Teyla has had some good moments, and I agree that's she's been underused. I think she has the same problem that Teal'c always had. They're both given a lot of rather wooden, bland filler lines.
                yes, here you have the leader of an alien culture and you just don't follow up on it. Maybe she gets to do more in the rest of the season. I'm hopeful the writers will figure out some good character development for her.

Comment

I like Teyla as much as I like Ford, and for the same reasons. She has all the potential in the world, but the writers seem to just not do anything with her. However, she has had a few more developments than Ford. She's had like three and he's had well...none. -.-'

Spoiler:
                  However, I heard she has character devlopment in "The Gift"
                  Last edited by Thek; 22 February 2005, 06:13 PM. Reason: I suck at the spoiler tag
                  *Insert something really cool here*

Comment

I'm sorry, but Teyla bugs the hell out of me. She seems to always be making promises on behalf of the Atlantis expedition which they may not be able to keep. I think so far she's been more harmful than useful. She's ok in some episodes, and maybe she'll be better in season 2. But at the mo she just annoys me.

Comment

I like that there's such a gulf between the Athosians and the earthlings. they don't really see eye to eye, and there's a huge cultural difference, which Teyla is bridging, much to her frustration.

I guess she's the "marmite" character in the whole thing. You either love her or hate her. And i kinda like her.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkmeister
                        I like that there's such a gulf between the Athosians and the earthlings. they don't really see eye to eye, and there's a huge cultural difference, which Teyla is bridging, much to her frustration.
                        But I'd like to see more of that bridging! The Athosians have disappeared. I'd like to see more interaction.
                        And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                        Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                        Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                        Daniel: Oh! You see?
                        Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

I never really looked at her height and stature but I do rememeber in the Behind the Scenes special in the trailer when she was with the guy from Conan O' Brian it did seem that she was a bit short.

I think you will really see Teyla developed in The Gift & The Siege - of course I dont want it to be spoiled for you - but she really is developed on the discovery of her having those connections with the Wraith and there is always a sense of uncertainty with having her around since then, of couse Sheppard always sticks up for her in front of Bates - but it turns out the other way.

That whole arc that is coming for you guys in the UK will definately color the shades of the Teyla character, hopefully you'll enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
                            She seems to always be making promises on behalf of the Atlantis expedition which they may not be able to keep. I think so far she's been more harmful than useful. She's ok in some episodes, and maybe she'll be better in season 2.
                            I agree
                            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

I know awile back I started a teyla appreciation thread in gen. disc. but it died . she's my fave atlantis personality! I hope TPTB do something with her.

Comment

Working...
                              X