• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purpose in the Machine (302)

Visit the Episode GuideAGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. - SEASON THREE
    PURPOSE IN THE MACHINE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 302
    Colson's team enlist the help of an Asgardian to unlock the ancient monolith, which Fitz is convinced is a gateway that sent Simmons to another world. May reconnects with her father as she considers her future with S.H.I.E.L.D., and Ward seeks to recruit the wealthy son of a former Hydra operative.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 11 October 2015, 09:03 PM.

I really like Hunter going "Ward hurt my Wife, i'm going to hunt him down !!!" mode.(Actually Bobbi is his ex-wife!!!) May and Hunter are going to hunt down that traitor Ward!!
    Nice to hearing some Cantonese in this show!!!!
    I kind of expected Ward not going to be one of leader of Hydra, but i am never thought he is going to find Baron von Strucker's son to lead Hydra and approach May's husband!!
    Elliot Randolph seem to like stay in jail because of the recent event!!! So funny when he blame Coulson for his escape!!!!!
    P.S.: Yay!!!! Jemma is back !!!!!!
    sigpic

Comment

I LOVED THIS EPISODE!!!

First of all - thank goodness May is back! I’m glad to have my suspicions confirmed - that she was protecting her father in some way and kept everyone in the dark about it because that was the safest course of action. We got SOOO much May backstory here! Her parents are divorced (but were together 20 years). Her father isn’t a spy. Melinda was obsessed with ice skating from ages 7-12, then moved on to martial arts. She wanted to see if she could have a life outside of SHIELD. (And apparently that doesn’t necessarily include Andrew.) She is worried about something happening to her father. Also, it was fun to see May playing golf (cute outfit!!!) and chopping vegetables like a pro. Would be great to bring her father and her mother back in an episode.

I’ll be interested to see what sort of team May and Hunter make, but I hope they won’t be separate from the rest of the team for too long.

I liked seeing Peter MacNicol as the Asgardian (Elliot Randolph) again. I certainly didn't expect that they would find him in jail. So, based on the episode last season with the Kree and Lady Sif (ep 2x12 “Who You Really Are”) it seemed that Asgardians weren’t aware that Inhumans existed (the Kree explained that they experimented on many worlds but were only successful on Earth). Randolph had heard that word (though not for a very long time) but he has been on Earth for a long time as well. Perhaps his character will come back and we’ll find out more about that. Maybe a flashback with him in a different era.

Andrew is working with SHIELD now. I like to see him as a character that isn't solely a love interest - past/present/future - for May. Of course his evaluation says that Joey isn't ready for Secret Warriors. He will probably be helpful to Jemma in dealing with the trauma of being on that planet for months.

As much as Daisy has grown up in the last couple of years, her impatience still feels a bit like the old her. I understand her reasoning - wanting to make Inhumans not feel like monsters once they’ve changed and show them how they can do a lot of good. And also wanting to have allies to fight against Lash.

I can’t quite tell if Andrew still has any feelings for Melinda or if he just misses her on the base. I was glad he did call her to let her know about Simmons. I don’t suppose anyone on the base knows that May is working with Hunter at this point. Bobbi told Hunter that Coulson would be pissed if he knew where he was going. Coulson knew Hunter was going after Ward, but not that he was going to recruit May. Will Hunter and/or May contact the base and let them know? I'm not sure what May will be doing while Hunter is establishing a cover in Hydra - trying to rise up the ranks. I don't want the two of them - well, specifically May - away from the rest of the team for too long.

So Ward is rebuilding Hydra now, and using von Strucker’s son to do it. The son’s name is Werner - the original first name of Dr. Whitehall (Werner Reinhardt). An homage to one of the original Hydra leaders, I suppose. Ward sort of started to mentor Kara (Agent 33) by showing her how to get closure (brainwashing Bakshi and torturing Bobbi) and now Ward is going to do the same with the kid. I kept wondering throughout the episode - what is his endgame? What is the goal of this new Hydra? The fact that he is placing Werner in one of Andrew’s psych classes doesn’t bode well for SHIELD. We know how Ward’s brain works - he will probably use Andrew to hurt Melinda. Perhaps that is why she didn’t end up staying with Andrew after her vacation - she is already worrying that Ward would go after Andrew to get to her and he might be safer if she stayed away. FYI - I don’t care if May ends up with Andrew or not. I just want May back with the team soon!

FITZ AND SIMMONS!!! My heart was pounding through most of that last sequence. It started with Fitz jumping into the portal. Then when they were reaching for each other I was muttering to myself, “Don’t let him get pulled away just millimeters before they can even touch!” And then the tips of their fingers touched and I was muttering, “No, don’t let them be pulled apart after that little touch!” and they were. But they were still trying to reach other and they got a better grip, but Daisy was having trouble keeping the portal open. By now my mantra was, “Don’t break my heart. Don’t break my heart. Don’t break my heart.” Translation: don’t let Simmons be ripped away from Fitz again. When the monolith exploded I actually had a moment’s thought that Fitz got stuck on that far away planet with Simmons. But of course, that wasn’t going to be the case. It will be fascinating to find out what happened to her on that planet and how it has affected her.
      sigpic
      Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Interested to see what Ward has planned for Hydra...

I thought they were going to pull the old "so close yet so far" trick and have Simmons left on the planet or Fitz and Simmons with the monolith destroyed. Didnt expect to have Simmons back so soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
          Interested to see what Ward has planned for Hydra...

I thought they were going to pull the old "so close yet so far" trick and have Simmons left on the planet or Fitz and Simmons with the monolith destroyed. Didnt expect to have Simmons back so soon...
          Me neither but I'm glad of it. I figure we'll get an assortment of flashbacks mixed with severe PTSD now.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by yukin1990 View Post
            I really like Hunter going "Ward hurt my Wife, i'm going to hunt him down !!!" mode.(Actually Bobbi is his ex-wife!!!) May and Hunter are going to hunt down that traitor Ward!!
            Nice to hearing some Cantonese in this show!!!!
            I kind of expected Ward not going to be one of leader of Hydra, but i am never thought he is going to find Baron von Strucker's son to lead Hydra and approach May's husband!!
            Elliot Randolph seem to like stay in jail because of the recent event!!! So funny when he blame Coulson for his escape!!!!!
            P.S.: Yay!!!! Jemma is back !!!!!!
            My thoughts on the ep..
            I loved May's Ex analyzing all the current members, EVEN Coulson (who i admit he was spot on with).
            Double Yay for rescuing Jemma, though WHAT THE HECK was Fitz thinking?? Here is hoping he is now calmer.

As for Jemma, what was she so scared of when she 'woke up with that knife like item in her hand??

Loved Randolph's quips at the team, especially coulson and Bobbie.

And i am glad that May is joining Hunter in tracking down ward..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Double Yay for rescuing Jemma, though WHAT THE HECK was Fitz thinking?? Here is hoping he is now calmer.

As for Jemma, what was she so scared of when she 'woke up with that knife like item in her hand??
              He is was thinking this was the only chance to save the woman he loved. Stupid? Probably but not exactly surprising.

I'm sure spending months stranded on a barren planet by herself has nothing to do with Jemma's defensiveness
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Which makes me wonder.. If she DID spend months there, what did she drink? What about food??

Comment

Remember there were others that went through too, annual sacrifices according to the Asgardian, perhaps the process of transport extends a persons life, and she was scared of being attacked by the others who had gone through before here, there's also no reason not to think that our crazy ancestors hadn't 'sacrificed' goats and the like too over the years, thus providing a potential food source.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    He is was thinking this was the only chance to save the woman he loved. Stupid? Probably but not exactly surprising.

I'm sure spending months stranded on a barren planet by herself has nothing to do with Jemma's defensiveness
                    Love make people do odd things!!! FitzSimmons
                    #Jemmaisback !!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Hopefully she won't be 'right as rain' by the next episode, I don't mean that how it sounds, but it's totally incorrect for characters in stories to recover and be like new almost new within a couple of weeks, it takes way longer than that to get over major trauma, whether it be physical or mental.

Comment

Don't worry..
                        Spoiler:
                        she isn't

Comment

Working...
                        X