The Importance of Absorbing Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Importance of Absorbing Man

I know that for the most part everyone's moved past Creel's role in Season 2 (and his overhyped namedrop in Daredevil), but I stil believe hsi appearance with powers to make him one of the most important and mysterious "enhanced" humans we've seen so far in the MCU.

(*not counting pure-technology people like Ant-Man and Iron Man)

There have been 3 (maybe 4) ways we have seen actual abilties given to humans in canon so far:

1) Super Soldier Serum - though there have been many variations of it with success to limited degrees, this has been what is respnsible for the likes of Captain America, Hulk, Abomination, Red Skull, extremis and centipede soldiers. I suppose you could count Cal in here as well.

2) Technology Accident - These exceptional cases often grant unique abilities directly hinged on the accidents that caused them. Marcus Daniels (Darkforce guy), Scorch, Donnie Gill (Blizzard), David Angar (Cal's screaming henchman).

3) Inhumans - While they all develop unique abilities, there are a very uniform set of circumstances as to how they get them. Inhumans have to be able to touch the Diviner and Terrigen Crystals without harm.

4) Strucker's experiments - Although the exact mechanism is never explained, my guess is it could be another way of triggering the Terrigenesis process (which is why it only worked on 2 related subjects). If not, it's only a possible side effect of the infinity gem. Either way, by the events of Age of Ultron, Pietro and Wanda are said to be the only 2 successful, meaning Creel was not one of them.

What do we know about Creel? We don't know if he had powers when still a boxer but when Hydra recruited him he did.
    - His powers are nothing like those seen with super soldier serum recipients.
    - He isn't an Inhuman, as he did begin petrifying via the effects of the Diviner.
    - No other subjects of Strucker's experiments are ever mentioned, and seem to be categorically denied.

The remaining possibility is a technology accident, but his powers seem far too broad compared to the other cases we've seen of this where their powers directly relate to the conditions of the accident.

It seems to me that Absorbing Man might be a special case and maybe the first one with naturally occurring powers we have seen?

P.S. - I know Magic is coming, but it was not around during his introduction and it doesn't seem Creel as the sort to get caught up in deeply arcane arts if Hydra doesn't even know about them yet.
    sigpic

Sorry i can't resist... he's important for cleaning?

Comment

When did creel make an appearance in S2?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        When did creel make an appearance in S2?
        He was in the first few episodes. He's the one that took out

Spoiler:
        Lucy Lawless' character

He was given to Talbot later.
        sigpic

Comment

Hmm.. Don't remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post

It seems to me that Absorbing Man might be a special case and maybe the first one with naturally occurring powers we have seen?
            The Asgardians have naturally occurring powers. Frigga has magic (which she taught to Loki, which suggests Frost Giants can use magic too.. also they can freeze others on contact), Thor can control weather, Heimdall can see all the realms and everyone in them etc..

Comment

Working...
            X